Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 22, 2020 8:05 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Natsume, the real human within the Deca-Dence, and registered a bug, but classified as dead under Kaburagi's extensive search. Despite that, Kaburagi is teaching her the ways of a Gear, fighting the Gadoll as a potential up-and-coming Gear (but still pretty amateurish), as much as she could be a secret for now to aid in his research and objectives.

And with that, more world-building on the outside walls of the Deca-Dence on the Gadoll, and being a Gear isn't an easy job. Drawing the line between Gears and Tankers is one, but Fei (Natsume's friend) isn't happy, and yet overly concerned for her wellbeing.

Oh well, only one way around it: working your ass hard for the job when it requires the most. Look, even Kaburagi is nice to be technical to develop new toys for Natsume to play around with and stay strong.

But back in the VR world, Kaburagi's avatar is at risk of being exterminated (although the system has Natsume captured in their sights, for her being his tool for now).

How I wish I had Kaburagi's harmless Gadoll pet, that's just my guilty wish now. Whilst the whole VR experience plays out the same, reacting to both avatar and in-game.

Some slice-of-life moments this episode for debunking the serious atmosphere, and slowly letting the plot play out its thing. Pretty interesting episode, and definitely buildng upon the good experience of a creative show (after that whole VR plot twist last episode).
Jul 22, 2020 8:24 AM

Aug 2012
so is confirmed that the robot things were once humans and that every human is chipped. Makes me wonder what the gadol really are. Maybe they are living things affected by pollution or maybe humans of failed experiments from the corporation
KANLen09 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Natsume, the real human within the Deca-Dence, and registered a bug, but classified as dead under Kaburagi's extensive search. Despite that, Kaburagi is teaching her the ways of a Gear, fighting the Gadoll as a potential up-and-coming Gear (but still pretty amateurish), as much as she could be a secret for now to aid in his research and objectives.

And with that, more world-building on the outside walls of the Deca-Dence on the Gadoll, and being a Gear isn't an easy job. Drawing the line between Gears and Tankers is one, but Fei (Natsume's friend) isn't happy, and yet overly concerned for her wellbeing.

Oh well, only one way around it: working your ass hard for the job when it requires the most. Look, even Kaburagi is nice to be technical to develop new toys for Natsume to play around with and stay strong.

But back in the VR world, Kaburagi's avatar is at risk of being exterminated (although the system has Natsume captured in their sights, for her being his tool for now).

How I wish I had Kaburagi's harmless Gadoll pet, that's just my guilty wish now. Whilst the whole VR experience plays out the same, reacting to both avatar and in-game.

Some slice-of-life moments this episode for debunking the serious atmosphere, and slowly letting the plot play out its thing. Pretty interesting episode, and definitely buildng upon the good experience of a creative show (after that whole VR plot twist last episode).

There is no VR world. There are 3 categories of humans:
1. those at the bottom that are chipped and some are controlled with those chips
2. those at the middle that have been turned to robots with human brains and control some of those at the bottom
3. the ones that control the system itself and we still have not seen.
The VR is just the interface between layers of humans. Humans at layer 2 believe those at layer 1 are just npc/characters in a game.
That being said I wonder what gadol really are
nightcrawlercypJul 22, 2020 8:29 AM
Jul 22, 2020 8:33 AM

Jul 2017
nightcrawlercyp said:
so is confirmed that the robot things were once humans and that every human is chipped. Makes me wonder what the gadol really are. Maybe they are living things affected by pollution or maybe humans of failed experiments from the corporation
KANLen09 said:

1. those at the bottom that are chipped and some are controlled with those chips
2. those at the middle that have been turned to robots with human brains and control some of those at the bottom
The VR is just the interface between layers of humans. Humans at layer 2 believe those at layer 1 are just npc/characters in a game.

Well, this explanation really clears it up the whole VR thing, especially with those having "administrative" properties of the system. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding.

On another note, the Gadoll, yeah, interesting creatures are they.
Jul 22, 2020 8:38 AM

Aug 2012
KANLen09 said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

Well, this explanation really clears it up the whole VR thing, especially with those having "administrative" properties of the system. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding.

Based on what we can see gadol were originally some biological living thing like dogs , dolphins (for instance pipe seems a failed experiment to combine dolphins and dogs)and maybe even humans. What is interesting to me is that gadol are also chipped. Also if humans reproduce normally when are they chipped and how are they oblivious to it? If they do not reproduce normally then how do they reproduce?
Jul 22, 2020 8:39 AM

Feb 2019
Real shame this drops at the same time as Re:Zero, such an interesting show so far. Slept on quite a bit

I love pipe, he’s such a good boy.

After the twist last week, there were two ways this could have gone. Really well, or really poorly. Luckily, instead of doing more info dumps and overloading us, we got a nice training episode with some Natsume and Kaburagi bonding. Good job NUT.

Sweet gesture there at the end, instead of reporting the bug Kabu buys it a place to live. Bit of development for his character.

Nice little cliffhanger to leave off on there, excited for next week’s episode.
Jul 22, 2020 8:45 AM

Jan 2016
Natsume is getting better and better at fighting, thanks to Kaburagi-sensei.

I hope Kaburagi doesn't get caught for hiding bugs.

Pipe got some really cute clothes from Natsume~!

How did Pipe get in such a situation, now Natsume and Kaburagi are both after Pipe, hope they catch him next week.

Jul 22, 2020 8:45 AM

Jan 2014
Glad they've further explained a couple of things into more detail, some nice touches that really helped explain the story more, and didn't take up too much of the episode in order to do so!

Lmao, let the training tutorial montage begin!

Hope that pet is saved also.
Jul 22, 2020 9:00 AM

Jan 2009
damn the story is moving fast huh so its confirmed that those cartoony characters are also once humans they are cyborgs living in a digital world (mind uploading to a computer cloud) and the remaining humans are living on earth with implanted chips that they can mind control eh but Natsumes implanted chip malfunction and now she is a bug or an anomaly

welp bugs in other words are outliers or exception to the rule then
Jul 22, 2020 9:06 AM

Jun 2016
So the "apocalypse" was basically just humans "suiciding". The robot things are just uplifted human cyborgs living in a dystopian corporatocracy. There also seems to be other megacorporations beside Solid Quake but they are the ones who "bought off" all the remaining regular humans for their game attraction.

nightcrawlercyp said:
Makes me wonder what the gadol really are.

Probably just some bioengineered animals mostly based on aquatic life forms.
Jul 22, 2020 9:10 AM

Jan 2018
Initiation time! Natsume's road to the Power starts here! Being clumsy and all was really hilarious!

Finally, it has been explained how the previous episode got cartoonish-like avatars, they were cyborgs, born from the humanity's mistake. As well as the formation of Deca-Dence in Eurasian continent. Looks like Kaburagi is given an advice on his real job. More of like a warning per se.

That upgrade on Natsume's arms was top-notch! Can't wait to see it in action! As expected from Kaburagi.

Right, also the visuals were amazing and the animation was quite alright.
Nainu_Jul 22, 2020 9:14 AM
Jul 22, 2020 9:13 AM
Oct 2016
After how mind shattering last week's episode was in glad this one was mostly wholesome. Kaburagi taking Natsume under his wing makes me very happy. I love these kinds of character dynamics with the grizzled veteran opening up the the bright eyed kid. Kaburagi seems to have renewed purpose after discovering Natsume is a bug. Does the world really need to get rid of bugs. Glad he's asking that question.

Somethings not right with this system in place that he works for. The backstory we got on how Deca Dence came to be and what happened to earth is pretty crazy. If course it'd be pollution that eventually drive humanity to the brink. Leading to giant corporations taking over until an even bigger one literally bought what was left of humanity. Setting up the world as we see it now.

Natsume training went really well tbh. She's learning the ropes and going along well. Lots of bumps and bruises facing even minor Gadoll but she's improving drastically. Kaburagi taking her to that workshop to equip a better hand for her warmed my heart. So sweet saying it's not Natsume weakness but her weapon. He does care for her a lot. But now they gotta save lil pipe! The cutest Gadoll there is! An underground attack sounds like it's gonna be trouble. Natsume gonna have to show her improved skills.
Jul 22, 2020 9:30 AM

Jan 2015
Wait what? I thought that Deca-Dence was something like a videogame?
Jul 22, 2020 9:33 AM

Aug 2012
Dukino said:
After how mind shattering last week's episode was in glad this one was mostly wholesome. Kaburagi taking Natsume under his wing makes me very happy. I love these kinds of character dynamics with the grizzled veteran opening up the the bright eyed kid. Kaburagi seems to have renewed purpose after discovering Natsume is a bug. Does the world really need to get rid of bugs. Glad he's asking that question.

Somethings not right with this system in place that he works for. The backstory we got on how Deca Dence came to be and what happened to earth is pretty crazy. If course it'd be pollution that eventually drive humanity to the brink. Leading to giant corporations taking over until an even bigger one literally bought what was left of humanity. Setting up the world as we see it now.

Natsume training went really well tbh. She's learning the ropes and going along well. Lots of bumps and bruises facing even minor Gadoll but she's improving drastically. Kaburagi taking her to that workshop to equip a better hand for her warmed my heart. So sweet saying it's not Natsume weakness but her weapon. He does care for her a lot. But now they gotta save lil pipe! The cutest Gadoll there is! An underground attack sounds like it's gonna be trouble. Natsume gonna have to show her improved skills.
And our system is so great? Most humans are wage slaves controlled by corporations, then you have (for now) the small and medium businesses they are trying and thanks to the cv19 scare succeeding in eliminating , then you have the robots i.e. managers, politicians , and various investors that are at the middle of the food chain. And then there is hidden elite the ones that own most of the corporations the bank cartels and so on. The ones that are so rich they can wipe their ass with money and still make more a month than we can imagine. To give you an idea guys like Bill Gates are at the border between the middle level and top level. Think Rockefeller or richer.
Xenocrisi said:
Wait what? I thought that Deca-Dence was something like a videogame?

re-watch last two episodes. Is not a video game but the middle level humans turned cyborg treat it as a game.
Jul 22, 2020 9:34 AM

Jul 2017
nightcrawlercyp said:
KANLen09 said:

Based on what we can see gadol were originally some biological living thing like dogs , dolphins (for instance pipe seems a failed experiment to combine dolphins and dogs)and maybe even humans. What is interesting to me is that gadol are also chipped. Also if humans reproduce normally when are they chipped and how are they oblivious to it? If they do not reproduce normally then how do they reproduce?
Yeah, I believe that these are the questions that are yet to be answered, and letting this show flesh its plot in the meantime. Hopefully we'll get our answers soon enough.
Jul 22, 2020 9:36 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That world is sure really interesting and gets more and more complete and complicated each episodes, it's even quite hard for me to follow all the informations xD
Nice training moments for Natsume, I really wonder what will happen next, maybe more drama.
Jul 22, 2020 9:43 AM

Aug 2013
So we see Natsume being trained by Kaburagi.

Well, things are getting more interesting in this show.

Jul 22, 2020 9:48 AM
Jul 2020
Thos episode was a good enough follow up for what they served us in the last episode. I like this style of animation and is smooth in every bit!
This episode was another one of those training episode with some nice SoL moments with pipe getting dressed and kaburagi making new weapon for natsume.
Reading some of the above comments made the episode lot clearer and was worth it.
BUT, What the hell is with the rating?? 7.03? Bruhh moment.
Anyways looking forward for this Anime even if it wakes the turn for worse
Jul 22, 2020 9:57 AM
Aug 2017
The fact Pipe is considered a bug and the sort of respawning tutorial enemies makes me wonder whether the Gadoll's are also part of the system, which is kinda fucked up as that would mean that they were artificially made for the "cyborgs" game, humanity has literally been reduced to a source for their entertainment.
Jul 22, 2020 10:07 AM

Jul 2016
So... I was right last week. It is an anti-capitalist show. Humanity's all but dead and those that still exist are under the thumb of a corporation run by AI that exists only for the sake of itself, to the point where every human is literally chipped and treated as a cog in the machine. From the looks of things, I wouldn't be surprised if the show takes a hard stance on gamification in the near future as well.

My only wonder is how far is it going to have gone with this by the end of the season? Is Natsume gonna find out the truth? Are they gonna get to hold a revolution? Is Kurenai ever gonna do something other than look hot in the background? Who knows!
Jul 22, 2020 10:11 AM

Dec 2015
I like that the anime is still better than Franxx he he. Get the feelling they might try something similar to Gurenn Lagann. (Because of that glasses AI guy and the fact that humans live there like in a cage.)

Maybe someone is still controlling the company. Not sure if all those robots where humans? I mean they could be AIs as well.

I mean ... from what I have read (had to google it again cause I wasn't sure and wondered why many in this thread already seemd to know those guys once were humans) it seems that cyborg is the variant where humans get mixed with machines.

But it could be that the intelligence (brain) here is still AI. (+ other bodyparts taken from humans) Or the creators use the term wrong. Or the cyborgs are someone else.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if those cyborgs actually were commanding the ship and the small guys are robots ... working for them (maybe implanted memory into the AI - for motivation) - while the cyborgs look more like humans ... enjoying their leasure life while others farm the resources they need to survive. (The stuff those little guys replenish ... might go ot them instead.)

Or some rich humans actually are at the top commanding everything. :D
Jul 22, 2020 10:18 AM

Aug 2012
_Dusty_ said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

I don't think that's completely right either. I think what the show was telling us was that, once humans started dying out, a load of robots were built to replace them and, over the centuries, humans were forced into this situation where they're the subject of the robots but they don't know it. The corp probably manufactures the Gadolls too, so they'd have something to fight in the game they created.

1. the show explicitly says they are robots with human brains. Even shows it in both ep 2 and 3
2. is not over the centuries, this episode shows it was pretty fast in a few decades at most. Yes the situation may have remained at that level for indefinite time but it did not took centuries to occur
4.if gadols are produced by the corp the purpose is population control i.e. to kill off excess population
Jul 22, 2020 10:44 AM

Jun 2016
_Dusty_ said:
So... I was right last week. It is an anti-capitalist show.

If anything it's "anti anarcho capitalist" but that's about it.

_Dusty_ said:
I think what the show was telling us was that, once humans started dying out, a load of robots were built to replace them and, over the centuries, humans were forced into this situation where they're the subject of the robots but they don't know it.

Not really, once the earth became uninhabitable due to air pollution many people went to the corporations and exchanged their real body for an artificial one under the condition of them becoming company property. The world itself seems to be dominated by 6 megacorporations with Solid Quake being the self-proclaimed "market leader".

As for the "tankers" it seems like Solid Quake at one point decided to buy of all the remaining regular humans and indoctrinated their children in order to create this "Deca-Dence" game.

Also, while it's easy to assume that there are AGIs / ASIs we don't actually have confirmation about any existing ones as of right now. All the "robots" are essentially just uplifted humans.

nightcrawlercyp said:
if gadols are produced by the corp the purpose is population control i.e. to kill off excess population

No, there would be no need for that. Their only purpose seems to be is getting slaughtered by the players for fun.
NoumuJul 22, 2020 10:51 AM
Jul 22, 2020 10:54 AM

Nov 2016
This is really interesting for now or at least it seems that way because many details went over my head. Definitely need to rewatch all three episodes.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 22, 2020 11:25 AM
Dec 2018
The most slept on show of the season. So far, between the artstyle and the premise it’s come off as a very unique anime. Now we see that the power system is set up to have some cool risk-reward setups. If that gets used properly, like giving people the balls to confront enemies, then it’s a better power system than the AoT mobility gear
Jul 22, 2020 11:32 AM

Jan 2020
Another great episode! For once I actually really enjoyed the training montage. I think its kinda cool to be able to understand the fighting mechanics better.

Also this episode reminded me of how adorable Pipe is <3 He reminds me of Jabba the Hutt's son (Rotta), just a whole lot cuter.

On a different note, now that we know more about the combat system, it makes me really want to have a game adaptation of Deca-Dence.

Bandori is love <3 Bandori is life <3
Jul 22, 2020 11:46 AM

Dec 2019
Much better episode compared to last week, The story is still quite hard for me to follow but I think I understand most of it.

Overall it's still really average but this was the most enjoyable episode so far.

»»Delievers Here««
★・・・・・・★

"Today might be the chance to grasp
the chance to let your talent bloom" -Tooru Oikawa

-Signature from Annie_Law

Jul 22, 2020 11:54 AM

Jul 2017
funnily enough out of all the "humanity was wiped out/nearly wiped out years ago" scenario's this one actually seems one of the most plausible lol. ofc it just had to be air pollution that got rid of proper life :P.

And what a nice training montage that was, loved the shot at the very end too. Also really liked how the world backstory was presented, gave off a very Ratchet and Clank or similar-esq vibes to it
Jul 22, 2020 12:19 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
An improvement over the last episode. The more they show and flesh out and tell less, the better this is. I really liked the training montage too. Nice prodution values and old school feel and musical style
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 22, 2020 12:21 PM

Feb 2020
Another week and one more episode of Deca Dence...

So now Kaburagi trains Natsume huh?
This show is really interesting, but after all the information they gave us last week, I think we needed an episode like this: with less information overload but with the same action, the answers can wait for now.
This teacher (protector) - student thing seems to be an important part for future critical moments ...

Let's see what happens next week!
Jul 22, 2020 12:29 PM

Nov 2013
Hmm, so no aliens. Humans fucked up big time (as usual), nations collapsed, big companies took over, they made robots, robots have consciousness, humanity is ruled by AI as well as humans who prevent "lesser" humans from f-ing up the world (or what remains of it) again! Where did the Godol/monsters come from though?
Jul 22, 2020 12:49 PM
Mar 2020
It's a minor detail that seems to be quite unnoticed but wasn't the whole point of getting Natsume a better prosthetic arm was because she couldn't control the trigger for oxyone flow efficiently. Remember that she used her left hand for firing needles for the entire training montage.

Now it looks like she will have to fire the needle with her right(prosthetic) arm and the trigger with her left. Doesn't that oppose her effort made during the Gadol killing part of her training(like writing with non dominant hand)?
Jul 22, 2020 12:51 PM

Jun 2016
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
they made robots

They made cyborgs, not robots. The difference is that cyborgs still have biological components (in this case the brain or at least parts of it).

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
humanity is ruled by AI

There has yet to be any mention of the existence of AI, they just said that the corporations (which were probably responsible for the pollution in the first place) set up a system where many processes are heavily automated in order to govern the population but thats about it.

Who is at the top of this system has yet to be revealed. Could be an AI, could be a global elite. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Where did the Godol/monsters come from though?

This has yet to be explained but they are most likely bioengineered by the Solid Quake corporation.
NoumuJul 22, 2020 12:54 PM
Jul 22, 2020 12:54 PM
Jul 2019
Ya know this thing is getting me confuse, there that world where humans fight to survive and there is that other world where avitars exist as if they're in a game so wtf is going on with this anime????
Jul 22, 2020 12:58 PM

Jan 2009
Horn_dawg_2019 said:
Ya know this thing is getting me confuse, there that world where humans fight to survive and there is that other world where avitars exist as if they're in a game so wtf is going on with this anime????

its just reverse of the usual The Matrix or the video game settings right lol
Jul 22, 2020 1:17 PM

Nov 2011
Three episodes in and honestly, idk how to feel about the show.

The world building is neat on most parts and Natsume seems like a curious character to keep an eye on. But..I don't know how to feel about the overall storytelling. The whole concept of fighting Gadolls and state of their world seems like sci-fi stuff I've seen before.

I do like Natsume's own determination although it's rather silly to watch her train. At least she has a decent mentor with a lot of knowledge and experience.
Jul 22, 2020 1:21 PM

May 2019
ninadyeole said:

The last episode's twist pissed a lot of people off and led to score bombing. There was a 3/10 review sitting at the at the "most helpful" spot after the episode, but it looks like they've deleted all the reviews that came out in response to the twist
Jul 22, 2020 1:30 PM

Sep 2017
Natsume's noises and facial expressions are hilarious
Jul 22, 2020 1:47 PM

Sep 2007
FinalReality56 said:
ninadyeole said:

The last episode's twist pissed a lot of people off and led to score bombing. There was a 3/10 review sitting at the at the "most helpful" spot after the episode, but it looks like they've deleted all the reviews that came out in response to the twist

Mal review rules forbid preliminary reviews before at least 3 episodes have aired, any review made on the first or second episode of a show will be deleted, it has nothing to do with review bombing it's just a rule they've always had.
Jul 22, 2020 1:47 PM

Dec 2015
Can't we all just sit down and enjoy this for what it is: a well thought-out, unique, original anime with an interesting premise and fasinating world building.
Jul 22, 2020 1:51 PM

Apr 2015
Much better episode than last week's.. Still a really odd show and difficult to say how I feel about it still.. but I will give it time and it might just grow on me!

I can't help but feel that Pipe is really giving me those Mitty vibes...

Natsume is learning to be in combat with those Gadolls, eventhough they are on "tutorial" level as Kaburagi mentioned! I like that training montage, liked the OST played during that even more!

So Pipe and Natsume are both bugs, with Kaburagi taking care of both of them, I wonder what will happen when he gets too personal attached to them and can't rid of them anymore!
Jul 22, 2020 2:07 PM

May 2019
Rahkshilord said:
FinalReality56 said:

Mal review rules forbid preliminary reviews before at least 3 episodes have aired, any review made on the first or second episode of a show will be deleted, it has nothing to do with review bombing it's just a rule they've always had.

Didn't even realize that rule was a thing tbh, either way a lot of people weren't happy with how episode 2 played out
Jul 22, 2020 2:24 PM
Jul 2020
Rahkshilord said:
FinalReality56 said:

Ohh, pretty impressive! I didn't have an idea about this.
Jul 22, 2020 2:25 PM

May 2015
Too much information, they even managed to squeeze a teary flashback about that cute weird thing.

I don't know, I kinda don't care what's this all about. Maybe I'll drop it for now and see how reviews will get once it ends.

Oh, and Kaburagi is indeed voiced by the same VA as Leo from Arte. So many similar vibes.
Jul 22, 2020 3:33 PM

Feb 2019
The alternative is the show's writing, bring on the montages. Whether it's explaining that ranged attacks are super ineffective because they're just inherently weak (for some inexplicable reason) before then using exclusively ranged attacks, or telling us that the whole thing is being run by Buy n Large and Auto, or putting a sack on the monster-dog and all of a sudden nobody can tell it's a monster, the writing remains… well, horrific is probably the best description. That the super computers who can mind control the world can't deal with someone's heart momentarily stopping is the least of the "wait, what" moments of random things it declares throughout the episode.

In any case, leaving all that aside, it was still a pretty weak episode. They did the montaging to make I-Still-Haven't-Learned-Her-Name-Yet halfway competent, then she declared her prosthetic arm was what was holding her back, but instead of getting a new one or proving it wrong, dropped that to give the backstory of the monster dog-worm. It was… the dude found a monster dog, and decided on a whim to keep it. So then after dropping all the original setup, we get yet more setup for next week. Putting a whole lot of eggs in one basket here, guys. Maybe focus better and finish the first main plot thread before moving onto the next, okay?
Jul 22, 2020 3:36 PM

Jul 2014
I wonder whethere the robots are really cyborgs with digital human personalities, or the shape of their world is a drug-induced matrix state with real humans hidden somewhere. It would be interesting if it's the former, and they can obtain bodies to experience proper life after it all hopefully ends anyway. They seem to have long lifespans as long as they insert oxyone too... But idk, it may be too much for the show, it'd be body horror, they also have to get new "robots" somewhere and I think we've seen a kid robot at least once (they can use the gathered bug chips to produce new robots after erasing their memory tho).
The official version of their world structure also omits where the personalities of robots come from. It's unlikely they are purely AIs.

They have shown other corporations. I wonder if cyborgs from those come to play. And also what's happening outside of the dome.

The gadoll do seem to be another tool. I guess our next revelations will be about them with the whole team going down into the lair, and with the pet lost.

I like how dense and ambitious the storytelling is. It was good to see that the MC couldn't ace it right from the start. The fact that she's injured so much in a sport that isn't designed for her body and with a trainer who's not familiar with the limitations of normal humans is concerning. As well as Kaburagi avoiding his "gatherer" duties so recklessly again. Is he intending to make a stand so soon? I like this sense of foreboding, hopefully the actual events will deliver.

Natsume's being way too outgoing is a bit grating tbh, but okay, it's anime. And it was a bit hard seeing her fear among the men of the bottom of the fortress being used for comedy, but at least her feeling it is logical. Her sticking with Kaburagi can also be explained by her attachment to the deceased father.
All in all she's sorta double female in her situation - she's a girl in a mostly male cleaner company, and the physical difference between artificial bodies and human bodies seems to be akin to human sex difference. Thankfully their style of battle is mostly about movement.

RayReynolds said:
but instead of getting a new one or proving it wrong

They did both of the things in the ep tho.
deadoptimistJul 22, 2020 3:40 PM
Jul 22, 2020 3:38 PM

Sep 2017
Pretty interesting. The exposition backstory could have been told in a much more intriguing way, but it at least clears up some things.
Jul 22, 2020 4:08 PM

Jun 2016
RayReynolds said:
That the super computers who can mind control the world can't deal with someone's heart momentarily stopping is the least of the "wait, what" moments of random things it declares throughout the episode.

It still makes infinitely more sense then what the machines in Matrix were doing or how pretty much every anime butchers Newton’s III law of mechanics (and I'm not talking about those who do it for comedic effect).

deadoptimist said:
The official version of their world structure also omits where the personalities of robots come from.

No they don't, they explained how people threw their old bodies away in order to become cyborgs as a response to the environment becoming more and more inhospitable:

Also, whatch this for more information on what the humans were doing here.
Jul 22, 2020 4:24 PM

Jul 2014

The anime footage isn't exactly clear, tbh. It can also be seen as people trying to reach for the door for protection, but failing fruitlessly and being symbolically replaced with newer artificial life. The text also said something along the lines of "humans died, cyborgs were developed" without going in detail about how these two processes were connected. Which is no wonder, considering the stripping of freedoms that followed. They don't consider themselves human too - humans are called "endangered species" and advertised as something different in the game ad, and they start this very ideological video by saying that humans were stupid and they shouldn't repeat their mistakes, basically othering humans. So it's clear that they don't see their cyborg population as human atm. So there may be a lie maintained.

That's one of the parts the story misses (or likely omits for now), actually - what's Kaburagi's opinion on his status compared to that of humans, and what other cyborgs think. He belongs to the company openly, humans live in blessful ignorance - but they do belong to it too, even more so. Their existence is harder, more grim, and they are much more short-lived and frail, compared to what he could potentially enjoy. He also sees the world differently - interface and all. At the start he does seem to look down on the MC, and his motivation initially revolves around avenging Mikey, for whose death he feels responsible.

It's also curious how Hunin-Munin consider the "brainmass" valuable, not the body parts. I guess, bodies are cheap compared to the programmable part? It also glows like the green blood superliquid. Must be something special.
Jul 22, 2020 4:37 PM

Sep 2015
I have always been thinking that Kaburagi reminds me of another character from last season and I just realized that he has similar looks and personality to Leo form Arte. And guess what? It turned out they are voiced by the same actor.
That said, I am still hella confused by the plot of this anime despite reading many comments and theories. Usually I am good at understanding complex plots but I can't seem to grasp what's going on here.
Jul 22, 2020 4:40 PM

Oct 2015
So I guess once the robots pick a human avatar, that person just doesn't exist any more? It looked like his avatar was in standby mode waiting for him to access it.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

242 by AgentDuck »»
Sep 6, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2020

127 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2020

138 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Aug 5, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 29, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 7:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.