Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Smile Down the Runway
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2020 10:50 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode honestly presents a good chance for Tsumura showcase his skills. It's a fashion show after all and hell, he's got support of friends and family.

Reflecting all the events up to this episode, I think this anime did a fairly decent job at building the moment emotionally. Fashion industry isn't easy so they managed to make this feel real as possible. The walks were interesting with the judge's reactions.

Mar 13, 2020 12:36 PM
Oct 2016
Did not think that Ikuto's portion would take up a whole episode but I'm extremely glad that's what happened. He deserves the spotlight after everything, which he even reminisced about, to show how far he's come. My God is it far too. Seeing all the flashbacks with his mom and sisters made me bawl like a child. The later one especially with his mom remembering those first pants he made for her and how he's made it all the way to this stage. It made me tear up a lot. Really astounded at how Ikuto presented his outfits. Surprising the judges like crazy. I got caught up in it too thinking what would be next by the time we got to the sixth or seventh outfit I was guessing with them. Really smart to keep the audience guessing what you'll show them next, helps get them on your side. Ikuto pulled out all the stops at the festival, did everything he could to secure that dub. Anticipating what Kokoro and Chiyuki will show us next week.
Mar 13, 2020 12:57 PM
Sep 2015
Ikuto make his first fashion statement by going full anti-nationalism, good. Because I'm so tired of nationalism nowadays (especially right now where people discriminate agaisnt some suffering countries)

Though his clothes are not that good.
Mar 13, 2020 1:30 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The moment that mama-san asked for her daughter to hold her youngest kid I knew something good was coming. Loved her calling out to her kid like that.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 13, 2020 1:34 PM

Dec 2014
wel that was wonderful hmmm
Mar 13, 2020 1:49 PM

Mar 2019
Okay now that his mom saw the show, I allow her to die for the sake of upcoming drama buildup
Mar 13, 2020 1:54 PM
Jul 2019
There is Chiyuki again considering Ikuto her rival when the rivalry was with Kokoro and did Ikuto just used a model that is as short as Chiyuki????

wow, Ikuto pulled it off that even his okasan can't contain herself with joy....
Mar 13, 2020 3:29 PM

Sep 2011
I love that Ikuto's last clothes defied expectations while showing his skill at the same time. I wonder how this is going to affect Ayano's turn somehow since they are using the same theme and Ikuto went first. And I loved to see how much Ikuto's family supports him, but his mother screaming like that was a bit cheesy. I feel like her tears would have been enough, but that's okay. Can't wait to see Kokoro's clothes and how well Chiyuki will shine wearing them!
Mar 13, 2020 4:17 PM

Sep 2007
Loved the designs! After the show ended I just immediately re-watched the latter half of the episode and was astonished all over again. Especially loved the Italian lace pants
Mar 13, 2020 4:44 PM
Mar 2017
After so much stress, sadness and anguish at last it was Ikuto's moment to stand out.

The episode was quite emotional, lots of warm memories from Ikuto´s family.
Shizuku is becoming a character to my liking, any character that makes the witch of Igarashi angry like that is my heroine.

The designs that Ikuto prepared were exceptional, the judges were very attentive and little by little they became more interested, especially at the time when they could not predict the order of the outfits that followed until the last one, but also the fashion show was a small family trip, where the memories of them with a young and full of creativity Ikuto was growing.

That final moment with Ikuto's mother congratulating her son at the top of her lungs was emotional, so much pain and affection together in those tears, having to endure all that so her childrens do not worry is very hard, but seeing her son fulfill one his most cherished dreams was the limit point and the tears that she had hidden so much were released.

So the next episode will be the turn of Kokoro and Chiyuki, I am looking forward to it,I want to know what the work they both accomplished will be like and more than anything I want to see Igarashi's face when she sees that Kokoro puts all her effort and heart into being a fashion designer.
Mar 13, 2020 5:34 PM

Dec 2014
Lovely episode.

Damn, all of Ikuto's family's reaction got me emotional. They're all so proud of him for finally going after his dream and when his Mom called out to the end, I was kinda embarrassed but at the same time very happy. I teared up at some parts of this episode, I think when Aoi teared up and when Ikuto's Mom was just smiling as they watched his show.

Can't wait to see Chiyuki next. I hope she shows them all what she's worth. I'm rooting for her.
Mar 13, 2020 5:46 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I almost cried... beautiful episode
Mar 13, 2020 8:07 PM

Nov 2011
Episode was emotional as FUCK! God damn im so proud of my boy Ikuto but judging by the Principal's grades he won't be winning. T_T

I liked that he worked his whole family into his work. So good. And when the mom had on the pants he made for her. I was crying again.

Chiyuki I think is slightly jealous of Kokoro as well. I still think it should be Kokoro and Ikuto in the end.

That "conversation" they had was cute. Kokoro's blushing was really sweet
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Fall 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Mar 13, 2020 8:44 PM
Jan 2017
Smile Down the Runway delivers yet another fine episode! Ikuto shows how far he has come and puts his skills to the test as the festival begins. I've always liked this show for its ability to deliver beautiful character moments without coming off as too saccharine and we get to see how much Ikuto has been shaped by the people he cares about. This show is the gift that keeps on giving, excellent fashion designs and beautiful character moments included, and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Mar 13, 2020 9:45 PM
Jun 2019
Great episode but it reminded me of posts from manga fans about the pacing of the show. For some reason starting the episode I felt like I missed an episode? But nope. I watched the last episode. I can’t help but feel the emotional pay off would be greater if it were after 20 episodes instead of 10.
Mar 13, 2020 10:07 PM
Apr 2018
Gotta be honest here, the clothes are kinda... umm you know, not good. But overall, the episode was great! Loved Ikuto's family.
Mar 14, 2020 10:20 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Wow, that definitely felt like 10 minutes max! Fantastic episode!

Ikuto's family is so supportive of him, and that's just a pleasure to watch! Honoka and Aoi are both so precious too but the mother giving away her tears for the first time in front of her kids was definitely the pick of the lot for me, got tear-eyed there I'll admit.

I really don't know much about clothes but they all seemed to be pretty cool, that annoying lady in the previous try looked a touch bit better though but I suppose unpredictability packs a punch in this line of work too. Ikuto's mother wearing that unprofessionally-made jeans was really sweet too and the contrast between the pieces really amazing, goes to show how much he's grown - now that would make any mother weep out.

Looks like it'll be Kokoro-san and Chiyuki up next! Possibly even the star, To Ayano, so a lot to look forward to for next week!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 14, 2020 4:37 PM

Jul 2017
man it's so nice seeing how the family has grown, loved seeing Ikuto surprise everyone. Really want him to win this one although it's hard to say given how there's also Kokoro and Too left.

Given how that manager was there, my assumption is that Kokoro isn't gonna win it but, she'd impress the manager with her skills and thereby be allowed to pursue designing

Still don't get whatever the flying fuck Chiyuki is talking about with the whole 'rivalry' thing but oh well
Mar 14, 2020 7:10 PM
Mar 2015
Glad he made his mom cry
Mar 14, 2020 8:11 PM

Oct 2008
What a wonderful episode!
all of the Tsumura family cried! damn! almost cried as well! hehe
5/5.

Mar 14, 2020 8:50 PM

Aug 2018
Jesus, this episode truly gave me a mixed feeling : a high amount of excitement with a little bit of stress. It's rare that I get such reactions watching or playing any fictional stuff.

A really beautiful 10th episode but I can't restrain myself from being worried Ayano or Kokoro will present something better. Damn, that's a long week to wait from now on !
Mar 15, 2020 1:31 AM

Oct 2017
Didn't like how they adapted this part. I was looking forward to watching the fashion show animated but it was a total letdown. The animation was bad and the fashion show wasn't done the way it was supposed to be. Also the voice acting kinda felt off.
Mar 15, 2020 11:49 AM
Sep 2018
It's amazing how good the episodes are when the focus is on Ikuto. This episode was the best shot so far. However, I still hate how the author is forcing a rivalry between Ikuto and Chiyuki and how Kokoro halted their development with this plot of hers that could be resolved otherwise, in addition to these ultimatums that Shonen usually use in his narrative.
Mar 15, 2020 1:13 PM

Mar 2014
odinyx said:
Gotta be honest here, the clothes are kinda... umm you know, not good. But overall, the episode was great! Loved Ikuto's family.

I don't like it either (maybe because I don't really care about fashion much) but yeah not a bad episode
Mar 16, 2020 12:22 AM

Mar 2016
It was so immature and cute when Ikuto walked faster than Ayano, and overtook him.

The story really knows how to get all my attention.

I can't wait to see Kokoro's version.
Mar 16, 2020 3:12 AM

Jul 2017
At long last...the Geika Festival to prove superiority and inferiority. Ikuto, Chiyuki and Kokoro, give all-out for their best, and no second chances are given for even minor mistakes.

And of course, the invitation's given to Ikuto's family to attend the prestige as well. And now, Ikuto, who has persevered his dream for this long, his dream's about to be realized: on the runway.

Impressive and defying the status quo is Ikuto's liberty and expression of freedom on the runway, a magnificence not found elsewhere. And for that, a commendable shout from his own mother.

As expendable this episode is, I can't help but feel mixed to the effect of this when compared to the manga. Sure this episode is the best overall, but it just felt subpar, hopefully Chiyuki and Kokoro's show will be a well-fought one. Nonetheless, the vision of the series truly shines with this episode (other than Episode 3) and I can't fault about that.
Mar 16, 2020 8:50 AM

Feb 2008
Ikuto's performance was lovely. Unexpectedly enjoyable, even. It was narrated exceedingly well and all designs were intriguing. A trip around the world.

I am looking forward to finding out what Kokoro and Chiyuki will throw at the audience.
Mar 16, 2020 12:47 PM

Jun 2013
why do I feel all this hype watching this anime
Mar 16, 2020 7:30 PM

Feb 2018
Ikuto turn is boring really.
Mar 17, 2020 1:42 PM

Jul 2016
Fantastic episode. Really liked how the emotions were handled by adding those flashbacks of Ikuto with his mother and sisters. All of them were so lovely to see and the final scene with his mother calling out to his son after all he has gone through really moved me.

Regarding his designs, most of them were indeed kinda "too extravagant" for my taste but still way better than the ones we can see in fashion shows nowadays. I particularly loved his concept of each outfit making a resemblance to different countries (famous places in the world of fashion, I guess) as well as the little details he included in the presentation such as using blue (Aoi) lights, the addition of Honoka's favorite song as background music, etc. It all was absolutely charming if I'm honest.

Okay, so now it's Chiyuki and Kokoro's turn. Can't wait to see what this duo can offer!
Mar 17, 2020 7:56 PM

Mar 2017
They honestly ruined Kaoru’s final dress that it peeves me. It did not look that plain and was so much more stunning in the manga. :/ I knew the fashion show wasn’t going to be the best since they’re trying to compact so many chapters into just 12 episodes and so many things were taken out and also added in in order to make it seem better, but I was very disappointed that they ruined hers since her designs were one of my favorites.
Mar 19, 2020 10:21 AM

Sep 2010
shame they didn't show all of Kauru's dresses - honestly I found her designs to be more interesting than Ikuto's

really looking forward towards Kokoro's show
Mar 19, 2020 11:58 AM
Feb 2015
This was a good episode and all but,,, I feel that an anime about fashion should like,,, have better fashion? Maybe I've watched too much Project Runway and am expecting too much, but the outfits in this show are kind of average, with a few exceptions.

Still enjoying it overall, looking forward to Kokoro's show.
Mar 20, 2020 8:42 AM

Apr 2019
I really liked Kaoru's "burning-with-flames-of-passion"-kimono-dress(es)!
Mar 20, 2020 4:22 PM

Apr 2012
Aaaaaaaaaaaah, the emotional roller-coaster.

Maybe I'm too used to Souma but the reactions were kind of muted, feels like they're setting up the competition to crush Ikuto.
Apr 8, 2020 10:03 PM

Aug 2017
Good episode.

"I won't lose." "Neither will I."

These lines are guaranteed to show up in every feel-good anime.

Kokoro needs to lose and become a model. It's her destiny.
Apr 15, 2020 10:00 AM

Apr 2016
Awesome episode! This Geika fashion show is interesting stuff. I feel like it's really conveying what this series is all about.

Ikuto's show was a success! I really liked how the judges were speculating while the show was ongoing; makes it have more of a contest vibe.
Apr 26, 2020 6:13 PM

Mar 2013
Ah... that was disappointing. Lack of budget? I don't know, but I expected the animation and designs to be much better.
90s J-rock was our aesthetic peak.
Jun 13, 2020 3:55 PM

May 2013
SO CUTE <333333 My heartstrings are pulled and fraying x'D

I knew Iku would dedicate his first fashion line/show to his family :')
Jun 28, 2020 8:51 AM

Jul 2015
Pretty emotional there, proud of Ikuto there after all that he has gone through. Curious to see Kokoro's lineup next.

Jul 31, 2020 4:59 PM
Feb 2018
this episode made me tear up two or three time and at the end the thing with the mom I cried
Jul 31, 2020 5:29 PM

Jun 2014
It's wonderful that Ikuto's mother was able to make it. The judges are really impressed with his work, including Mai Ayano.

Now, I wonder how well Kokoro will make Chiyuki look?

Aug 21, 2020 4:34 AM

Aug 2018
YandereYuuya said:
Ah... that was disappointing. Lack of budget? I don't know, but I expected the animation and designs to be much better.
I agree it was a big disappointment seen those clothes at walmart lol
Sep 12, 2020 6:42 AM
Sep 2020
Is there anyone who can give me the background songs of this anime. I tried to search it on youtube or google but just couldn't find it.
Apr 7, 2021 1:46 AM

May 2020
Very touchful episode. Man I can't stop nervous while watching this. They bring emotion in this episode very great.
Jun 6, 2023 6:38 PM
May 2020
Great Job Ikuto! You did a great job for all your procrastination.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2020

65 by phantom346 »»
Feb 13, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2020

56 by phantom346 »»
Jan 17, 7:48 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

93 by degenerate-2002 »»
Sep 16, 2023 2:48 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2020

46 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 6, 2023 8:06 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2020

42 by 1Konochi »»
May 30, 2023 3:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.