Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2019 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It didn't long for them to find Katalina again. I think Io deserves some respect this episode for taking on those soldiers though.

Kinda interesting we get to see more of her past and sister. Katalina is a prominent character so to understand her reasons for leaving is fairly important.
Oct 18, 2019 9:22 AM

Apr 2010
Well it seems the Empire is planning something behind Vira's back and well as that of Gran.
The better watch out because something is going to happen from the look of things.

Katalina made a decision but wether it's a good one remains to be seen.
Oct 18, 2019 10:32 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Fine episode.
It's nice to see more of Katalina and how she was before.
Oct 18, 2019 10:35 AM

Mar 2018
This whole arc makes me want to shout STAY WITH ME lol
Respect for Io though I don't really get where she wandered off to at the end

I waited for the words, Gran said to Rosetta, the whole time at the encounter with Katalina.. Not just them shouting her name but well

She got some nice moves at the tournament. Was cool to see more of her past

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Oct 18, 2019 10:41 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
K1ngOfSloth said:
This whole arc makes me want to shout STAY WITH ME lol
Respect for Io though I don't really get where she wandered off to at the end

I waited for the words, Gran said to Rosetta, the whole time at the encounter with Katalina.. Not just them shouting her name but well

I know right, the Op visuals perfect compliment this as well and yeah I was expecting some more impactful words from Gran too. Something like “Freedom bought by a sacrifice is no freedom at all” y’know.

Anyway, looks like the Emperor’s next move might just sway Katalina’s decision so looking forward to how that goes!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 18, 2019 10:49 AM
Sep 2015
Gran can't do a single thing and the situation will sort out for him automatically, what is the correct word to describe this plot device? Deus ex machina? Plot armor?
Oct 18, 2019 11:04 AM

Jan 2014
phantomfandom said:
Gran can't do a single thing and the situation will sort out for him automatically, what is the correct word to describe this plot device? Deus ex machina? Plot armor?

its called "silent protag syndrome", ingame he has basically 0 line except a few choices, he is basically there just for the fighting
Oct 18, 2019 11:09 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Katalina's departure sure was sudden. As distractions go the tale of the appleman sure proved to be an effective one. Thats one hell of a backroom deal the empire agreed with though. Though its just like Katalina to take responsibility and protect her friends without telling them. The insight into Katalina's past though was pretty insightful. The final match between Katalina and Vira though was pretty impressive with both having top class skills. Still the revelation of the reason for Katalina's departure sure proved to be a deeper one than expected. While having the control of a powerful spirit and stopping it from being used by the empire has merit the price to freedom is a steep price. While having the empire of their back was nice the cost of losing a dear friend though is just too much to pay. While im glad that Gran and party are willing to forgo this im curious to see what the empire and Vira plan to do next.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2019 11:18 AM
Sep 2015
animad55 said:
phantomfandom said:

its called "silent protag syndrome", ingame he has basically 0 line except a few choices, he is basically there just for the fighting

Thank you, there's even wiki article about this!
Oct 18, 2019 1:03 PM

May 2018
So they willing to give up their freedom of being chase around by the empire in order to keep Katalina?????
Oct 18, 2019 2:48 PM

May 2016
I have mixed feelings about this episode. I get that Lyria wants to be with Katalina because she's the closest thing she's ever had to a mother but the thing is Katalina can't be there forever to protect her. Katalina has her own past that she needs to deal with. Vira's possessiveness might be a result of growing insanity due to being the Lord Commander for so many years and Katalina naturally feels responsible because thanks to her selfish desires she forced a burden on Vira that should not have been her's.

Gran's line about wanting to break the agreement so that Katalina will have no reason to stay rather pissed me off. If I was Rosetta I would have slapped him right there. Do you seriously want to spend the rest of your life on the run? Granted, we got no reason to trust the Empire(and of course they're planning something behind everyone's back) but still. The situation with Vira and Albion has nothing to do with the Empire. Breaking the agreement for such a selfish reason isn't just stupid it's insulting towards Katalina and disrespectful towards her decision.

Honestly, I'm going to be disappointed if this arc ends with Katalina rejoining the group just because. If would give a sense of realism of Lyria being able to go on without her. But considering that this is video game adaptation, that will more than likely not happen.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Oct 18, 2019 8:01 PM
Jun 2017
ohh i knew it, that deal is impossible without any thing being offered. katalina is the sacrificial lamb for gran and the rest to have their freedom... ohh how sad that is
Oct 19, 2019 3:21 AM

Mar 2019
So that's why katalina left, it was interesting to see her backstory
They are going to be outlaws again in order to rescue her that's cool
The black knight in the end is intriguing I guess they gonna appear as real characters in one or two episodes
Oct 19, 2019 9:39 AM

Sep 2011
This makes absolutely no sense. They know the empire is full if shit yet they still believe they will uphold their end of the bargain. I can't bring myself to give a rats arse about what is going on when they are willfully playing ignorant just to move the plot forward.
Oct 19, 2019 11:05 AM

Oct 2008
Looks like it's gonna be extremely hard for them to get Katalina back to their group this time...I wonder what asspulls they gonna do to get her back?
3/5.

Oct 20, 2019 3:10 AM

Sep 2019
I'm pretty sure in the game, we didn't trick those guards, and that Gran just blows them away. I think... honestly, I can't even remember what part I'm up to in the main story in comparison with all the side-stories... and if I keep going I'm just gonna say the exact same in the 1st ep thread.

Still, I can understand Katalina sacrificing herself... but for Vira? Eeeeeh, I mean, having a local threat to the Lowain Bros ALIVE is pretty bad.

Oh, and Gran just threatened that guy with a ladle at the back... not bad. Personally, I'm more of a "popsicle to the naked back" kind of guy, like in that one (weirdly good?) Punisher movie. .. and then throwing him off the Grandcypher.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Oct 20, 2019 4:33 PM

Jul 2017
3 episodes were enough to tell me that this season is even better than the first one.

We finally get to know more about our characters, namely Katalina, and man, that shit sucks.. Now she has to stay stuck like glue in that place? I hope that doesn't happen and that the gang can manage to save her and get out of that predicament somehow... But it seems Gran made the right call. To call off the deal with the empire and let Katalina herself decide if she wants to go back or not/if she really misses them or not. Can't wait to see what will happen. Rosetta's appearance was short, but i really liked it, and basically she was what Gran needed to plan his next move.
Oct 20, 2019 8:38 PM
Oct 2019
DirectorK said:
Gran's line about wanting to break the agreement so that Katalina will have no reason to stay rather pissed me off. If I was Rosetta I would have slapped him right there. Do you seriously want to spend the rest of your life on the run? Granted, we got no reason to trust the Empire(and of course they're planning something behind everyone's back) but still. The situation with Vira and Albion has nothing to do with the Empire. Breaking the agreement for such a selfish reason isn't just stupid it's insulting towards Katalina and disrespectful towards her decision.

Two points on this. First, I don't get the "disrespectful towards her decision" bit. None of them asked her to sacrifice herself for them. She didn't even consult them. She went ahead and selfishly decided on it, ignoring everyone's feelings on the matter. That's the real disrespectful part, if you were to ask me. You can't just decide to do things for others, things they don't want you to do, without their permission, and expect them to be grateful and not "disrespect" your decision. I'd say Gran's decision is rational enough. They didn't ask her to sacrifice herself, in fact, that's the opposite of what they want. So they're not going to accept it. If she still wants to leave, that's her choice. They'll respect that. Just don't force your sacrifice that no one asked for onto them. They'd rather just have her.

Second point, the whole reason Gran is on the run from the Empire is because he saw a random stranger girl chased by the Empire, and decided to help her, even if it meant being on the run. That's how little he cares about being on the bad side of the Empire. He'd rather help a stranger that he can help, than be safe from the Empire. Now that Empire is not just hurting a stranger, but a friend. And even if they were to accept it, and the Empire stopped bothering the crew specifically, the moment they saw the Empire bothering some other strangers, they'd fight again. Like in the first episode, where they were hurting a random Primal Beast, the Empire isn't going to stop being shady all of a sudden. This deal isn't that the Empire will no longer be evil, it's just that the crew will now have to overlook this evil and be safe. Which is something Gran would never do. And I'm glad for it, personally. I'd rather not see a protagonist be such a coward in face of evil.
Oct 20, 2019 10:28 PM

May 2016
Earl_Dumb said:
DirectorK said:

Two points on this. First, I don't get the "disrespectful towards her decision" bit. None of them asked her to sacrifice herself for them. She didn't even consult them. She went ahead and selfishly decided on it, ignoring everyone's feelings on the matter. That's the real disrespectful part, if you were to ask me. You can't just decide to do things for others, things they don't want you to do, without their permission, and expect them to be grateful and not "disrespect" your decision. I'd say Gran's decision is rational enough. They didn't ask her to sacrifice herself, in fact, that's the opposite of what they want. So they're not going to accept it. If she still wants to leave, that's her choice. They'll respect that. Just don't force your sacrifice that no one asked for onto them. They'd rather just have her.

Gran isn't her commanding officer and the group is not part of a military organization. Katalina is technically still part of the military since her status as a knight was never rescinded. Therefore Gran has no right to decide what Katalina can or cannot do since she's not obligated to take orders from him. Even if Katalina had consulted with them first it wouldn't have made a difference for she had already made her decision. Again, she's not doing this for them or the Empire, she doing it for someone that she let down in favor of her own desires.

Second point, the whole reason Gran is on the run from the Empire is because he saw a random stranger girl chased by the Empire, and decided to help her, even if it meant being on the run. That's how little he cares about being on the bad side of the Empire. He'd rather help a stranger that he can help, than be safe from the Empire. Now that Empire is not just hurting a stranger, but a friend. And even if they were to accept it, and the Empire stopped bothering the crew specifically, the moment they saw the Empire bothering some other strangers, they'd fight again. Like in the first episode, where they were hurting a random Primal Beast, the Empire isn't going to stop being shady all of a sudden. This deal isn't that the Empire will no longer be evil, it's just that the crew will now have to overlook this evil and be safe. Which is something Gran would never do. And I'm glad for it, personally. I'd rather not see a protagonist be such a coward in face of evil.

Of course I don't expect Gran to back off from this. Or course I don't expect this truce to last. But again, the situation with Albion has nothing with the Empire. And in truth, the Empire itself isn't the problem, it's the people who are running it that are. Sorry, but Gran's decision isn't rational, it's childish and typical for a series like this.
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
Oct 21, 2019 1:33 AM

Dec 2013
Shirasho said:
This makes absolutely no sense. They know the empire is full if shit yet they still believe they will uphold their end of the bargain. I can't bring myself to give a rats arse about what is going on when they are willfully playing ignorant just to move the plot forward.

I think you don't understand. They never said they actually trust the empire. Eugen and Rackam even went back to Grandcypher, just in case.
Katalina sacrificed herself for Vira. "Being free" is just her excuse. She feels guilty. Welp, that's at least how I see it.
Oct 21, 2019 3:28 AM
Oct 2019
DirectorK said:
Gran isn't her commanding officer and the group is not part of a military organization. Katalina is technically still part of the military since her status as a knight was never rescinded. Therefore Gran has no right to decide what Katalina can or cannot do since she's not obligated to take orders from him. Even if Katalina had consulted with them first it wouldn't have made a difference for she had already made her decision.

Gran is the captain of the crew, but this isn't about that. Reporting to her boss is her duty, but this was about respect. Let's not confuse the two. She's making a decision for them, against their wishes. She's being selfish here. Everyone is saying that they don't want her to sacrifice herself, but she's saying she will anyway, and they all have to just shut up and accept it. That's selfish on her part, and if you think refusing others' selfishness that walks all over your wishes and feelings is being "disrespectful," then we simply disagree on what being disrespectful means.

This is the equivalent of someone shoving lots of trash in your house, and when you say you don't want it, they don't care. They'll just keep shoving trash in your house, because they think it's good for you. Refusing and throwing that trash out is not being disrespectful. Shoving that trash onto them against their wishes in the first place is being disrespectful.

Again, she's not doing this for them or the Empire, she doing it for someone that she let down in favor of her own desires.

And they accept that. Gran literally says so. If Katalina wants to leave for Vira, they'll accept it and move on with their journey without her. They just don't want the excuse of her sacrificing herself for them, because they never asked for it. They're looking for her, to tell her that they don't want the bullshit deal with the Empire. If she still leaves, for Vira and Albion's sake, they'll accept it.

And you agree the truce wasn't going to last, that's an important part. This was a farce to begin with. They went with it, because they had literally nothing to lose from going with it, only to gain. The moment it turned out they're losing something important in this deal, specifically a friend, they refuse the deal. The whole point of the deal was to not lose their friends to the Empire. At this point, the deal is just hurting them, so they break it. Makes sense. If Katalina leaves still, for Vira, they move on.

Random side note, her knighthood is not dictated by the Empire. Her position in the Empire's military was that of a Lieutenant. She lost that position the moment she went against the Empire. She's not the part of the military. So the part about her duty to the Empire is irrelevant.
Earl_DumbOct 21, 2019 3:34 AM
Oct 21, 2019 9:59 AM

May 2016
Earl_Dumb said:
DirectorK said:
Gran isn't her commanding officer and the group is not part of a military organization. Katalina is technically still part of the military since her status as a knight was never rescinded. Therefore Gran has no right to decide what Katalina can or cannot do since she's not obligated to take orders from him. Even if Katalina had consulted with them first it wouldn't have made a difference for she had already made her decision.

Gran is the captain of the crew, but this isn't about that. Reporting to her boss is her duty, but this was about respect. Let's not confuse the two. She's making a decision for them, against their wishes. She's being selfish here. Everyone is saying that they don't want her to sacrifice herself, but she's saying she will anyway, and they all have to just shut up and accept it. That's selfish on her part, and if you think refusing others' selfishness that walks all over your wishes and feelings is being "disrespectful," then we simply disagree on what being disrespectful means.

This is the equivalent of someone shoving lots of trash in your house, and when you say you don't want it, they don't care. They'll just keep shoving trash in your house, because they think it's good for you. Refusing and throwing that trash out is not being disrespectful. Shoving that trash onto them against their wishes in the first place is being disrespectful.

Again, she's not doing this for them or the Empire, she doing it for someone that she let down in favor of her own desires.

And they accept that. Gran literally says so. If Katalina wants to leave for Vira, they'll accept it and move on with their journey without her. They just don't want the excuse of her sacrificing herself for them, because they never asked for it. They're looking for her, to tell her that they don't want the bullshit deal with the Empire. If she still leaves, for Vira and Albion's sake, they'll accept it.

And you agree the truce wasn't going to last, that's an important part. This was a farce to begin with. They went with it, because they had literally nothing to lose from going with it, only to gain. The moment it turned out they're losing something important in this deal, specifically a friend, they refuse the deal. The whole point of the deal was to not lose their friends to the Empire. At this point, the deal is just hurting them, so they break it. Makes sense. If Katalina leaves still, for Vira, they move on.

Random side note, her knighthood is not dictated by the Empire. Her position in the Empire's military was that of a Lieutenant. She lost that position the moment she went against the Empire. She's not the part of the military. So the part about her duty to the Empire is irrelevant.

You're not looking at this for Katalina's perspective. Up to this point we knew practically nothing about her. You keep that saying that she's being selfish but have you ever consider what she's going through right now? Do you seriously think this was an easy decision for her to make? You don't think that deep down she wants to stay with them? Especially with Lyria? Did you seriously believe that she wasn't thinking about them when she made this decision? No, of course you didn't. You're only looking at from Gran's perspective and not Katalina's. She's not being selfish, she's taking responsibility for her past actions.

When she entered the academy she made a commitment to duty, a commitment that she broke and caused a person close to her to take a position that shouldn't have been hers. When she became a knight and began serving the Empire she made another commitment which she again broke. Yes, she had a very good reason to but the thing is when you commit an act of treason it comes with serious consequences. It doesn't matter if the Empire was good or bad in the first place.

Katalina knew this from the moment she decided to help Lyria escape from the Empire. Now her past is catching up to her. She knew this day was coming and this led to her decision to leave the group. The problem doesn't involve them. This is something she has to deal with on her own whether they like it or not. It's not for them to decide. Again, if she had consulted them in the beginning it would have just ended in a huge argument and likely cause a great deal of resentment, and I'm sure that isn't what Katalina would have wanted as her last memory of them together. What they're doing right now is typical teenage behavior.

Yeah, the deal is hurting them but guess what? That's life. Things rarely, if ever, go the way you want them to. You don't get to decide how things are going to play out. It's not up to you. That's what teenagers like to believe and more often than not they end up paying a heavy price for it. In order to gain something you have to be willing to give something in return. That's what sacrifice is all about. Yes, it may come as a heavy price but if it's for the greater good then it not in vain. Gran and his group doesn't understand that.

So here is how it's most likely going to play out. Gran and the other are going to bust in and cause a bunch of chaos, Lyria is going to have her emotional moment with Katalina by begging her not to go, Katalina will hesitate, Vira will go crazy and try to force her into it, more chaos ensues followed by destruction, and the Empire will show its true colors(of course).

But it doesn't matter, things will play exactly the way the good guys wanted. Katalina will fight against Vira and win, the Empire will be stopped, Katalina will suddenly have a change of heart or be told that she doesn't have to stay because she's essential to the story for some reason, the team gets back together and everyone's happy, and the arcs ends with them sailing away to their next adventure. Applaud.

Honestly, if it goes the opposite direction in the end and Katalina stays in Albion I'll be most surprised. But if goes exactly the way I'm sure it will, then I'll have only three words to say. Typical. Absolutely typical.
Oct 21, 2019 1:25 PM
Oct 2019
DirectorK said:

You're not looking at this for Katalina's perspective. Up to this point we knew practically nothing about her. You keep that saying that she's being selfish but have you ever consider what she's going through right now? Do you seriously think this was an easy decision for her to make? You don't think that deep down she wants to stay with them? Especially with Lyria? Did you seriously believe that she wasn't thinking about them when she made this decision? No, of course you didn't. You're only looking at from Gran's perspective and not Katalina's. What she wants to do and how difficult it is for her doesn't change what she's doing. She's not being selfish, she's taking responsibility for her past actions.

Katalina knew this from the moment she decided to help Lyria escape from the Empire. Now her past is catching up to her. She knew this day was coming and this led to her decision to leave the group. The problem doesn't involve them. This is something she has to deal with on her own whether they like it or not. It's not for them to decide. Again, if she had consulted them in the beginning it would have just ended in a huge argument and likely cause a great deal of resentment, and I'm sure that isn't what Katalina would have wanted as her last memory of them together. What they're doing right now is typical teenage behavior.

You've completely neglected to separate Katalina's two motivations. You're mixing them. One motivation is her responsibility for her past, Vira. You're only focusing on this motivation. This motivation is not an issue. No one is stopping her from taking responsibility for her actions. They literally say so.

If she wants to leave to take responsibility, she's free to. They're not even gonna attempt to stop her. Lyria will just say she wants Katalina to stay, and NOTHING more. Just say what she feels. Katalina is completely free to do what she wants with herself. If she wants to stay with Vira to take responsibility, as Gran said, he'll accept it.

The issue is her second motivation, her wish to sacrifice herself for the crew through the deal with the Empire. These are not the same. What they don't like is the idea that she's sacrificing herself to the Empire for them.

So they cancel the deal. If Katalina wants to leave for Vira, she still can. Literally, and I mean LITERALLY all the crew is doing is canceling benefits they get from her "sacrifice." Because they just do not want that. They don't want anyone to sacrifice themselves for their sake. Now, if the crew is saying "we don't want the sacrifice but you can leave if you want to," but Katalina insists on giving the sacrifice to them, who is the one not respecting the others' wishes? The party just stating their wish and letting the other party do whatever they want, or the party insisting on going against that wish?

In order to gain something you have to be willing to give something in return. That's what sacrifice is all about. Yes, it may come as a heavy price but if it's for the greater good then it not in vain. Gran and his group doesn't understand that.

That's the whole point. What they're gaining is NOTHING, they're not looking to gain anything here. They just want to be on their merry way. You're talking as if they want the Empire to stop chasing them at any cost. They don't. They'd rather be chased by the Empire forever than go with this deal. So that's what they're choosing. Refuse the deal and go their merry way, chased by the Empire.

You're framing it as if they're all a bunch of kids that just want everything and don't want to give up anything. They've made it clear, they don't want anything from the Empire. If they don't want anything, there's no obligation or requirement to give something up. The deal the Empire is bringing them, they don't want it. And refusing deals you don't want is not "typical teenager." No, refusing deals you don't want is called having a brain, it's what is expected of any functioning adult. And if, regardless of the deal, Katalina wants to leave, for Vira's sake, they'll accept it, like adults.

So here is how it's most likely going to play out. Gran and the other are going to bust in and cause a bunch of chaos, Lyria is going to have her emotional moment with Katalina by begging her not to go, Katalina will hesitate, Vira will go crazy and try to force her into it, more chaos ensues followed by destruction, and the Empire will show its true colors(of course).

But it doesn't matter, things will play exactly the way the good guys wanted. Katalina will fight against Vira and win, the Empire will be stopped, Katalina will suddenly have a change of heart or be told that she doesn't have to stay because she's essential to the story for some reason, the team gets back together and everyone's happy, and the arcs ends with them sailing away to their next adventure. Applaud.

Honestly, if it goes the opposite direction in the end and Katalina stays in Albion I'll be most surprised. But if goes exactly the way I'm sure it will, then I'll have only three words to say. Typical. Absolutely typical.

All of this is just a rant about how you don't like happy endings, because they're "typical." You prefer if the heroes just gave up and moved on. That's irrelevant. I'm not calling it good or bad, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but this wasn't a discussion about your taste. It was about the rationality of the crew's decision.
Oct 21, 2019 6:42 PM

May 2016
Earl_Dumb said:
DirectorK said:

You're not looking at this for Katalina's perspective. Up to this point we knew practically nothing about her. You keep that saying that she's being selfish but have you ever consider what she's going through right now? Do you seriously think this was an easy decision for her to make? You don't think that deep down she wants to stay with them? Especially with Lyria? Did you seriously believe that she wasn't thinking about them when she made this decision? No, of course you didn't. You're only looking at from Gran's perspective and not Katalina's. What she wants to do and how difficult it is for her doesn't change what she's doing. She's not being selfish, she's taking responsibility for her past actions.

You've completely neglected to separate Katalina's two motivations. You're mixing them. One motivation is her responsibility for her past, Vira. You're only focusing on this motivation. This motivation is not an issue. No one is stopping her from taking responsibility for her actions. They literally say so.

If she wants to leave to take responsibility, she's free to. They're not even gonna attempt to stop her. Lyria will just say she wants Katalina to stay, and NOTHING more. Just say what she feels. Katalina is completely free to do what she wants with herself. If she wants to stay with Vira to take responsibility, as Gran said, he'll accept it.

The issue is her second motivation, her wish to sacrifice herself for the crew through the deal with the Empire. These are not the same. What they don't like is the idea that she's sacrificing herself to the Empire for them.

So they cancel the deal. If Katalina wants to leave for Vira, she still can. Literally, and I mean LITERALLY all the crew is doing is canceling benefits they get from her "sacrifice." Because they just do not want that. They don't want anyone to sacrifice themselves for their sake. Now, if the crew is saying "we don't want the sacrifice but you can leave if you want to," but Katalina insists on giving the sacrifice to them, who is the one not respecting the others' wishes? The party just stating their wish and letting the other party do whatever they want, or the party insisting on going against that wish?

It's frankly none of their business of what happened in Katalina's past. By canceling the deal they're deliberately putting themselves in danger for Katalina's sake. How do you think Katalina's going to feel when she finds out that her friends died(which of course won't happen because otherwise there'd be no point) because they weren't willing to let her go just yet? Her sacrifice would have been for nothing and she would feel guilty for the rest of her life.

That's the whole point. What they're gaining is NOTHING, they're not looking to gain anything here. They just want to be on their merry way. You're talking as if they want the Empire to stop chasing them at any cost. They don't. They'd rather be chased by the Empire forever than go with this deal. So that's what they're choosing. Refuse the deal and go their merry way, chased by the Empire.

If anyone's going to break the deal first it's the Empire. By them breaking the deal first they'll forcing the Empire to play their hand early and they have now put the entire Academy and the island in danger. And for what? Because if you don't want anyone making sacrifices for you?

Okay, let's say the Empire keeps chasing them. Then what? Then what? What do you think will happen when the Empire decides to get serious and actually hunts them down? What do you think is going to go through Gran's mind when he sees his ship destroyed, all of his friends are executed, and Lyria taken away before he himself is executed? You can argue that won't happen because Gran has godlike powers through Lyria but let's say the Empire figures out a way to counter that and the group loses. At that point Gran will realize that his party into a slaughter because of his selfish actions on Albion.

You're framing it as if they're all a bunch of kids that just want everything and don't want to give up anything. They've made it clear, they don't want anything from the Empire. If they don't want anything, there's no obligation or requirement to give something up. The deal the Empire is bringing them, they don't want it. And refusing deals you don't want is not "typical teenager." No, refusing deals you don't want is called having a brain, it's what is expected of any functioning adult. And if, regardless of the deal, Katalina wants to leave, for Vira's sake, they'll accept it, like adults.

There is a difference between using your brain and acting on emotion and in this case it's the latter.

If Gran was smart he'd be respecting Katalina's decision even if he doesn't agree with it. Her sacrifice may have bought them some extra time with the deal. He could use that time as a way to prepare so when the Empire does break the deal his party will be ready for them.

In truth, what he should be doing is backing off and wait to see how this plays out before making a move. Katalina put her trust in him to keep Lyria safe. Instead, he's doing the exact opposite. He's letting his own personal feelings, along with Lyria's, get the better of him and now he's put them all in danger by trying to sneak back in the academy just Lyria could talk to her. This will force the Empire to retaliate and if people end up dying that's going to be on Gran's shoulders, not the Empire's. This is exactly what I mean by "Teenage Behavior" and Gran by the way is not adult. He's still a teenager, young and inexperienced. He knows nothing about the outside aside from "The Empire is bad and they need to be stopped.".

Do you now understand the term of "Actions have Consequences"?

All of this is just a rant about how you don't like happy endings, because they're "typical." You prefer if the heroes just gave up and moved on. That's irrelevant. I'm not calling it good or bad, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but this wasn't a discussion about your taste. It was about the rationality of the crew's decision.

My friend, I have been following the entertainment industry for years, decades even, from movies, RPGs, and anime. I've done a fair bit of creative writing as a hobby and have read numerous novels of almost every genre, so I know how these things usually play out. Can you say the same for yourself? If no, then keep quiet. Don't give me that crap about what you think are my so called "tastes". Happy endings are earned, not given or forced for the sake of it.
DirectorKOct 21, 2019 6:47 PM
Oct 21, 2019 9:07 PM

Sep 2015
Everything about Katalina is false and the real reason he accepts is because he feels guilty about everything about Vira. Vira takes advantage of this to stay with Katalina, all this is a recurring theme in the Fates Episodes of all versions of Vira and exclusively in the Vira Light. In the current chapters of the game, all this fault of Katalina is one of the reasons why he manages to connect with Ares.
Oct 21, 2019 11:06 PM
Oct 2019
DirectorK said:

It's frankly none of their business of what happened in Katalina's past.

Yes, and they acknowledge it. They're not bothering her about her past. If she wants to deal with her past, she's free to. You keep ignoring this point. No one gives a shit about her past. She's free to do what she wants. They're not stopping her from dealing with her past. Only stopping the Empire deal, because frankly, it's none of Katalina's business how they deal with the Empire too. Katalina forcing her sacrifice on them is going against what they want, stepping way over the line. It's not her decision to make.

By canceling the deal they're deliberately putting themselves in danger for Katalina's sake. How do you think Katalina's going to feel when she finds out that her friends died(which of course won't happen because otherwise there'd be no point) because they weren't willing to let her go just yet? Her sacrifice would have been for nothing and she would feel guilty for the rest of her life.

And it somehow matters how Katalina feels, but it doesn't matter how everyone else feels? Katalina feels bad, so she can make everyone else feel bad too? That's called being selfish. Putting her feelings above everyone else's and forcing things on them. Just so she doesn't feel bad, she'll make everyone feel bad. They just want to do nothing, she's doing things for them.

By them breaking the deal first they'll forcing the Empire to play their hand early and they have now put the entire Academy and the island in danger. And for what? Because if you don't want anyone making sacrifices for you?

And that's a good thing. It's the same idea as not negotiating with terrorists. If the Empire is saying "hey, give us that sacrifice or we'll ATTACK you," they're threatening. And if you think giving in to every threat is a smart move, you're not gonna go far. Because you want to avoid conflict, just give into every single one of their demands. I guess if they come out and say "give us Lyria or we ATTACK this city," they'll just have to listen. Because putting the island into danger is a bad thing, just listening to these terrorists and sacrificing your friends is a good thing. That's so backwards.

Happy endings are earned, not given or forced for the sake of it.

And he's trying to earn that. You're proposing to just not even try and accept the unhappy ending.

Empire demands Katalina and Lyria at the threat of violence. Basically terrorism.
Grancypher crew fights the Empire for two reasons. One, they don't want to give up Lyria and Katalina. Two, the Empire is being evil and hurting the innocents on pretty much every island they've been to. They won't just stand for it. Rackam, Io, Eugen, all these were personally attacked and hurt by the Empire. It was Gran fighting against the Empire that helped them. He isn't going to stop helping people. So they want to protect the crew from the Empire, and stop Empire's evil. Those are the two things they want.

Katalina deal works only under two assumptions. She's imprisoned on Albion, and the crew stops fighting the Empire. If they see the Empire being evil again, they have to turn a blind eye to it, for Katalina's sake. If they don't, if they fight against Empire, her sacrifice goes to waste. If you think about it for a second, you realize this goes against BOTH of the crew's reasons for fighting the Empire. They don't want to give their friends up, and they don't want to turn a blind eye to the evil. Katalina is asking the crew to abandon all their goals for her sake. If they don't abandon all their goals, her sacrifice is useless. That's how stupid this deal is. All she's accomplishing is hurting the crew, taking away all they want, and making sure the crew never saves another innocent from the Empire's bullshit. She's not doing anyone favors, besides the Empire. She's giving the Empire everything they want, and taking away everything the crew wants.

Your whole argument for why the crew should accept this deal is that it helps them. That the deal makes perfect sense, only someone stupid would refuse it. It does the opposite of helping them. It's a stupid deal. Helping the crew would involve protecting everyone onboard, and helping them get stronger. This deal gives up one member to the Empire, and makes sure they CAN'T fight again. Or the member they gave up was for nothing. It makes them useless.

You're assuming the crew wants to just avoid conflict at all cost. That's just projecting your goal onto them. That's not what anyone wants. They'll accept conflict, if it means helping the innocent. Katalina's deal basically makes it so they never do that again. If the crew didn't fight the Empire, Rackam's island would've been destroyed, Io's master and Valtz's king would've died, Eugen's island would've been destroyed. That's what Katalina's deal leads to. "Happy endings." Fighting against the Empire prevented all that, got them actual happy endings. Because they weren't cowards.

Last point. You were so concerned about Albion's safety. That the crew should just accept Empire's deal, so they don't hurt the innocents of Albion. Absolutely buttfucking nothing stops the Empire from attacking Albion anyway. Not even the deal. If Katalina's deal goes through, and Gran's crew escapes, the Empire can still go "we want the Academy and the Primal Beast of this island and Katalina" and just attack. And that's not a hypothetical scenario. The Empire has attacked every single Primal Beast they've come across thus far. 100% of them. This deal makes it so Gran can't help them when they attack Albion. This stupid deal achieves nothing good. It gives the crew 20 minutes of peace, until the Empire is being evil again and they're forced to break the deal to stop the Empire. In those 20 minutes, Katalina is gone forever. For 20 minutes of peace, they're sacrificing a crewmate.

There's a reason the writers had Vira be there. Because the deal itself is absolutely stupid. Katalina is using this stupid deal as an excuse for Vira. If the deal made sense, Vira's existence would be useless here. It's because it doesn't make sense that Vira needs to be here, to give Katalina a proper motive to want to accept this absolutely stupid deal that anyone with a brain refuse otherwise. She's using this as an excuse to be stupid. She wants to leave for Vira, but she'd feel bad about leaving the crew and Lyria normally, so she's deluding herself into thinking she's helping them by accepting this bullshit deal. Convincing herself that she's not breaking her promises to Lyria, she's just protecting her. When in reality, she's doing fuck all to protect anyone, just using protection of the crew as an excuse to stay with Vira. A stupid excuse, as it turns out.
Earl_DumbOct 22, 2019 12:16 AM
Oct 22, 2019 10:52 AM
Jan 2016
Obvious that assignment had something secretly behind, and it was Katalina being sacrificed, Vire probably will show her true self!

It was nice to see some backstory about katalina, she was really awesome!

Io managed to hold that guards, proud!

Roseta made her precense once again, she is really gorgeous!

Seems Gran and Lyria will try again to "rescue" / stop Katalina from being sacrificed, maybe they will defeat tah primal beast, like that Katalina and Vira culd be free of stay in that island forever!
Oct 24, 2019 6:21 PM

May 2016
@Earl_Dumb My friend, you're dead wrong if you think I just want to characters to lie down and give up. I want them to succeed as much as the next person. But I am speaking both through my knowledge of team leadership and through personal experience when I say that the way Gran is handling this right now is completely wrong. I know you're not going to believe me but that's the truth. I could go on but it's unlikely you're not going to listen to me no matter what I say because apparently you know more than I do so let's just leave it at that. If you do want me to go into further detail you're free to ask. But for now, let's see what happens tomorrow when the next episode premiers.
DirectorKOct 24, 2019 6:25 PM
Oct 26, 2019 9:03 AM

Jul 2008
Vira is lying and the empire was never going to keep their word.

Katalina you idiot.
Dec 20, 2020 3:33 PM

Jul 2015
As much as I hate to say this, but I think they should prioritize defeating the apple-man (a world end level threat) over getting back Katalina. Jokes aside, Katalina was quite the badass in her academy years, whooping everyone's ass with ease

Mar 25, 2021 1:25 PM

Sep 2012
WolfWood37 said:
Vira is lying and the empire was never going to keep their word.

Katalina you idiot.

holy SH this god my blood boiling, i was like Gran draw ur sword god dam it and say if that's the price of peace with u then Hell with the peace (peace is over) that would have cornered Alize and she would have had no choice but to fight along side them
Jun 21, 2021 2:33 PM

Jan 2011
Good thing i only got around to watching this now, @Earl_Dumb wrote it far better than i'd be able to.

What i'd like to mention is that this is text book case. I don't know how to call it, but lots of anime suffer from this. Sometimes it's a longer arc, sometimes it's even resolved in the same episode, but it goes exactly like this.

Some side character has some secret past, something comes up that involves secret past, they behave weird, suddenly leave without explaining anything, their old partner or whatever who just so happens to be in power who was so amiable suddenly blocks all attempts to not only communicate with this side characters, but with everyone who might know something, they find side character who claims it's all for them, but as viewers it's clear that it's the worst possible outcome. The MC stubbornly presses on to get to they bottom of this, they find out that the real reason is mostly because of their enemy because even side character wasn't convinced it was for their current friends and so on.

You could literally change the characters and settings but keep the whole dialogue and the actions in place and switch it around with probably thousands of other anime with similar stupid plot.

They had a perfect opportunity of Vira being to Katalina like "i heard your friend can communicate and even collect astral beasts. Wanna beat up the empire like good ol' times? I'll come with you after, seeing that i need to follow Chevalier..obviously. Oh, and as no one is so stupid as to attacks us because it's damn difficult and would mean war with everyone, xyz can handle all that ruling. They are better at it anyways". But no, they go the most boring way possible.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Season 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2019

66 by Kiikani »»
May 22, 2:27 PM

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2019

43 by TheSekiryuutei »»
Aug 3, 2023 8:00 AM

» What made this cygames adaptation flop that others didnt

cunnylicious - Apr 19, 2023

1 by official_brown »»
Apr 21, 2023 6:40 AM

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Season 2 Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2019

36 by cafekun »»
Dec 16, 2021 9:58 AM

» Will this anime spoil the plot of the game for me?

Rojaseb - Jun 3, 2021

2 by Rojaseb »»
Jun 4, 2021 5:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.