Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 30, 2012 5:09 PM

Jan 2012
quite entertaining

decent plot/concept

the little kid was annoying as hell though

the characters' actions and emotion towards a given situation throughout the series were quite unrealistic

8/10
Nov 3, 2012 2:16 AM

Aug 2012
I just finished this movie just now...........and its amazing :D 10/10 i dont know why others give only 7/10
Nov 13, 2012 2:32 PM

Sep 2012
It was pretty interesting.
Jan 15, 2013 5:26 PM
Aug 2011
Jibaku said:
I was comparing the movie to the manga the whole time. Unless you've read the manga, I guarantee the movie will be hard for you to understand. They removed A LOT of the characters and events that happened in the manga as well. The animation was really well done, but when it came to the story I was disappointed that they took out so many of the great parts.

I agree. I was disappointed more than the manga. 4/10
Feb 5, 2013 2:12 PM

May 2012
Quite an interesting movie, and what a plot twist. I would have thought it would all be a dream but to have the roles switched that's something else! Was quite an interesting story in general and nice take on the sleeping beauty story.

Sometimes the CGI bothered me but all by all the art was rather nice! A good movie in general 9/10
Mar 17, 2013 9:59 PM

Jan 2010
That seriously fried the f**k out of my brain. Everyone said the movie 'Inception' was confusing, but this I don't even...
Despite being completely brain melting, watching this in full HD made for an awesome 2 hours. I can't explain it, but I actually quite enjoyed it even with the post-viewing headache it induced.
Maybe that's what I get or watching this @ 4am... x_X

7/10 all things considered. Maybe I'll try the manga one day~
May 3, 2013 11:43 AM
Aug 2012
tht ending. i was expecting such a cheesy ending like she made the vines nd was protecting her sister but the twist was a complete curve ball i wish more films would do tht i watched this both subbed and dubbed and the dubbed accents where ridiculously strong most likely so u cld easily tell nationalities or pickup on some possible traits the character may have without back story but it was a bit strong the sub imo is better but either way its an 8/10
Mar 7, 2014 7:20 AM
Sep 2009
I've made a lot of poor viewing choices over the last 12 months, and was beginning to think that maybe I was loosing interest in anime. This was just what I needed to pick me up and remind me just what I love about it. Kept me invested from beginning to end, with excellent animation and scoring. Even so, that ending is going to take a few more watches for me to fully get it! :P

Got a few unintentional laughs out of the exaggerated accents in the English version. Some were so cringe-worthy they reminded me of early 90's dubbing, so perhaps that appealed to the nostalgic in me! Speaking as a native of the UK myself, I can honestly say I've never heard anyone under 65 use the term "blighter" in my lifetime. Thanks for the laughs, Funimation :D
Nov 11, 2014 8:46 AM

Aug 2013
8/10.

There is only one thing that I didn't like - 3DCGI, it was really horrible.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 30, 2015 12:38 PM

May 2014
Why the heck all the anime movies I'm watching are so damn complicated? -_-

So that blonde little girl, Alice, was the first one infected by the Medusa. Then people realised that her imagination became reality so they started to make experiments on her that led to her death. The virus also had the effect of turning people into something similar with stone. Because of this reason that scientific corporation created this project as an excuse of finding new test subjects for the dreams-->reality research, preferably someone with a strong trauma.

Before entering the capsule, Kasumi had a fight with Shizuku and she died after falling from that cliff. After losing her parents and her twin sister, Shizuku's virus became more active materializing stuff, just like in Alice's situation, so the scientists put her in the same chamber where they made experiments on Alice. From what I've read in the previous posts Marco and his team interfered and Shizuku could escape and killed everyone around her. Then she created a copy of herself and filled her with Kasumi's memories (twins powers!) and then she started to take care of her while altering the reality with her and the survivors own dreams (the data she received from A.L.I.C.E.) ... resulting a total chaos!

In the end we remain with a kid obsessed with video games and a clone of Kasumi searching for other people. But they most likely died in the wilderness...

Overall I enjoyed this movie. But I think I would've been better without the fantasy part.
Apr 11, 2015 4:18 AM

Jun 2012
It was great, some things here and there, but ultimately awesome movie.
Apr 26, 2015 8:55 PM
Sep 2014
Great anime, the story was rather average, trying to survive and at the end some crazy revelation. But it was really interesting and fun to watch. Ending was kinda too normal, i dont want to say i want the sad ending but i dont know, usually in movies like this they make ending where they say good bye and one person die other live. I hopped for reunion or something.

Btw, can anyone tell me if manga is somehow different or is it a-z adaptation?
Apr 29, 2015 6:22 AM

Mar 2013
It was interesting, started out great but then the ending was confusing. Welp, gonna read the manga maybe someday..
Aug 31, 2015 10:37 AM

Jul 2015
And this is why i prefer english dubs: the different accents. XDDD
Aug 31, 2015 10:50 AM

Jul 2015
Btw for anyone confused about the ending: when the twins were making that pinky swear by the cliff, and glasses girl was like: "this is stupid" and they fought and stuff. glasses girl fell off the cliff and died. Non-glasses girl had a massive shock from her sister's death, and when she recovered she believed that she was her own sister and so she wore her sister's glasses. When she went into cryo sleep, her dreams were so emo that they affected alice, and they generated a 'clone' of the dead glasses girl as a replacement for her dead sister. And THAT is why those guys saw glasses girl in the elevator. Anyway, alice found original glasses girl's dead body and put it wherever, and when non-glasses girl saw that the dead one had a scar on her wrist and she didn't, her memory returned and she remembered what happened on the cliff that day and stuff and realized that she was non-glasses girl and her sister is dead and the green thorny one is the copy... Well, that's that.
Sep 5, 2015 6:30 AM
Oct 2011
buttmonkey2011 said:
Btw for anyone confused about the ending: when the twins were making that pinky swear by the cliff, and glasses girl was like: "this is stupid" and they fought and stuff. glasses girl fell off the cliff and died. Non-glasses girl had a massive shock from her sister's death, and when she recovered she believed that she was her own sister and so she wore her sister's glasses. When she went into cryo sleep, her dreams were so emo that they affected alice, and they generated a 'clone' of the dead glasses girl as a replacement for her dead sister. And THAT is why those guys saw glasses girl in the elevator. Anyway, alice found original glasses girl's dead body and put it wherever, and when non-glasses girl saw that the dead one had a scar on her wrist and she didn't, her memory returned and she remembered what happened on the cliff that day and stuff and realized that she was non-glasses girl and her sister is dead and the green thorny one is the copy... Well, that's that.
I think thats kinda wrong but who knows I might be the wrong one lol.

Why I'm saying this is because in the end she said herself "so I am the alternative Shizuku created" or smth like that. So basically she wasn't the "non-glasses"(shizuku) girl but rather the clone of kasumi that Shizuku gave birth to.That's why she didn't have that scar....She was a "clone"! that was made from Shizuku's imagination.
barmarSep 5, 2015 11:57 AM
Nov 17, 2015 7:28 PM

Feb 2015
Kantarou said:
Hmm, on it's own it was a decent film but I was rather disappointed. The opening scene ended up being much longer than it should have, with all that exposition which imo could have been cut down, not to mention some of the points get brought up again later on during more exposition.

Above all, my biggest letdown came from the blasted abuse of 3D. I was actually ready to give the 3D some credit for making certain scenes/backgrounds look really nice (like the sleep capsule chamber) but then they went and used 3D ON THE CHARACTERS during action scenes. At least they used less of it towards the end, but damn was that distracting and horrible. Sunrise, if you can spend your time animating 2D mechas for your tv series I'm sure you could do the same for some blasted humans with a movie budget instead of switching between 2 and 3. The 3D monsters themselves didn't look too good and there was a severe lack of variety as well.

IKR! the 3D was unbearable. utterly lazy and laughable.

barmar said:
buttmonkey2011 said:
I think thats kinda wrong but who knows I might be the wrong one lol.

Why I'm saying this is because in the end she said herself so I am the alternative Shizuku created or smth like that. So basically she wasn't the "non-glasses" (shizuku) girl but rather the clone of kasumi that Shizuku gave birth to.That's why she didn't have that scar....She was a "clone"! that was made from Shizuku's imagination.

lol i don't really care, i'll agreed with anything that makes sense XD

both of those seem reasonable, though.
-----
i had great expectations for it (just by the artwork and the interesting title) and the movie looked promising in the beginning, but it was just strange in the end.

like if kazumi wanted to die with her sister why all of a sudden is she shrieking about seeing her dead? or if that is shizuku nvm.

and what was the use of alice's story if shizuku (or kazumi, whatever) was the real person behind it all?

and WHAT was the emotion???? was it revealed? and don't think trauma, because that's psychological, not emotional.

the best character (and the real interest in the movie) would have to be marco, though. i was silently praying for his safety. RIP bro, you were a true warrior.

meh, i'll give it an 8, just for marco. if not for him i'd give it a 6. i like the ED, for some reason however.
Dec 5, 2015 3:50 PM
Feb 2015
A little confusing for me but overall I liked it the twist at the end was fun...well as fun as something like that can be and a few things needed to be explained aswell as it's use of CGI was a bit unnecessary in places, but overall it was cool :)
Jan 7, 2016 9:56 AM

Aug 2014
o-o sooo what about medudsa are they gonna die or wat

Jan 16, 2016 5:09 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Placeholder post for proper episode discussion thread.
Jan 16, 2016 8:01 PM

Jun 2008
buttmonkey2011 said:

Nope you are wrong. What happened is that when they were in the cliff Kasumi died and Shizuku lived. But Shizuku was shocked and her virus started acting. The scientist took her and put her in a special room to study her because she seemed to have the same ability as Alice of managing to make her dreams become reality.
The intense shock of seeing Kasumi die cause her to materialize that ability.
While they were making there experiments they lost power and that made the lose control and Shizuku's dream went beyond their control creating those thorns etc and then she created an avatar that looked like herself to go and open the room where the sleeping people are and put a sleeping Kasumi she created out of her imagination inside one of the sleeping capsules.
So basically the Kasumi we were watching was a creature created by the imagination of her sister. Shizuku never moved an inch from that room the scientist put her. She was sleeping there al the time and her presence was only materialized a few times by an avatar that looked like her.

--Nero-- said:
o-o sooo what about medudsa are they gonna die or wat

That a big problem with this movie. They basically never told us what happens with the virus around the world after all this.
Mar 6, 2016 10:01 PM

Nov 2014
This is the biggest pile of shit.

May 27, 2016 10:07 AM

Oct 2015
well I didn't understand a thing about this movie but it was a good one.
in the begin I thought the Tim boy had died as well so I felt really bad because he is just a child and stuff...
Kasumi is dead? all right I really lost the clue
Nov 11, 2016 9:51 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty good show. It was a bit tough to follow at parts, but it all pretty much made sense at the end. Really good characters.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 4, 2017 5:58 AM

Sep 2013
Interesting to watch........... but not rewatchable. The prologue invested my expectations and gradually the plot sort of became meh, though the end was confusing and seemed like 'roll on whatever'.

So,

both original twins died and an 'alternative-kasumi' survived

that lil shit brat survived, but hot mama and Marco died.....
Jun 8, 2017 7:02 PM
Dec 2013
I did not understand this movie at all. I feel like it's just a poor adaption or I'm just stupid, but my basic understand half way through was that people we're trying to get their hands on the cure for a virus, but then there was a girl named alice who could warp dreams then I thought it was the kid who was the real dreamer because he was able to understand the levels or something, then turns out it was shizuku who could manipulate it all, then shizuki was actually izumi because the real isumi died but turned out her death awaken psychic powers inside her sister so she made a copy but like, she was already in stasis or something. There we're just to many dreams in this movie.
Aug 11, 2017 7:33 PM

Aug 2016
What a bullcrap, Iam totally having nightmares tonight. Iam not sure if my mind can process that right.

vyktar said:
I did not understand this movie at all. I feel like it's just a poor adaption or I'm just stupid, but my basic understand half way through was that people we're trying to get their hands on the cure for a virus, but then there was a girl named alice who could warp dreams then I thought it was the kid who was the real dreamer because he was able to understand the levels or something, then turns out it was shizuku who could manipulate it all, then shizuki was actually izumi because the real isumi died but turned out her death awaken psychic powers inside her sister so she made a copy but like, she was already in stasis or something. There we're just to many dreams in this movie.

Yeah I think you summarized that about right.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2017 7:39 PM

Aug 2016
anala said:
reminds me of Blue Gender. people in cold sleep woke up to find monsters attacking the place and the earth close to extinction.

Premmise reminded me that too, that was why Iam watching it in first place. It wasn't as good as Blue gender thought :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 16, 2017 11:58 PM

Nov 2016
What I don't understand is where did all these monsters come from? And why are they trying to kill everyone?
I'm guessing they were created like that thing that Alice made? That monkey looking thing. (or was the monkey thing from outer space? I'm not too clear on that. Cuz that director dude said something about outer space and aliens at some point.)
If it was an alien are the aliens what created the monsters that are carrying the Medusa virus?
Is this all a dream or are the monsters actually roaming around the world now?
I have so many questions. .-.
Even though I'm pretty confused, I still liked this. & Marco didn't bother my eyes in the slightest. ;o
Sep 18, 2017 4:13 PM

Sep 2014
I was looking for some good old "adventure" or fairy tale. A simple anime stand alone movie. What I got was so much more!
I was excited throughout the entire movie. It did an amazing job at introducing the world and story and feed you more and more information. Only pretty late the mystery starts to reveal itself. And the amazing OST!
But here is also my biggest negative point - the story was set up around the medusa virus but in the end it seemed like the actual infection was never cured. There where some obscure connections between it and the supernatural stuff but after everything was solved it still looked like humanity had no cure.

And oh boy that crappy CGI was everywhere. I dont mind it that much but all the switches are awkward. Stick to CGI monsters and animated humans and everything is fine. The overall graphic is okay, it suffers from its age (I think generally the art from that era ages badly compared to older or younger styles)

The story was intense, it totally sucked me in and I lost any sense of time. Once they escaped I thought maybe thats it but no, the real ending just started. Great stuff! I might even read the manga, I expected something like switched sisters after I realized the amount of mystery was more then "find cure and search for exit"but I still love the concept (what is reality? What is a dream?)
they might even have room for a sequel if the end would be more open. I think she could be still dreaming would be possible but with everyone dead and her understanding what she is I think its quite a sad/bad dream.
which again leads me to the point - was the actual virus cured or not? the castle with all the research was destroyed after all.

I will totally recommend it (I will even buy it, I think it has quite some rewatch value especially if some times passes)
Its a shame its rather uncommon
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 6, 2017 6:10 AM

Dec 2015
Riddled with plot holes, I have more questions coming out of this film than starting out. W're the monsters all a figment of Tim's dreams?
~
Feb 20, 2018 8:01 PM

Apr 2012
Randomly selected this from VRV to watch while I was sick. Am not disappointed. Confused the crap out of me, but dang was I ever entertained!
Mar 9, 2018 3:17 PM

May 2017
I actually really enjoyed this one. While the story was simple, it really pulled me in. The building of the plot was really cool and I appreciated the weird 25 minute set up in the beginning. Marco is literally the coolest character, and am I glad that they didn't turn him into some awful bad guy just because of his tats.
Mar 17, 2018 3:55 PM

Oct 2015
I must confess at first and the middle I wasn't convinced by this movie. But my opinion changed when the mystery behind the thorns and Kasumi started to unfold. Too bad she is an alternative that Shizuku made and every thing there was caused by her mind. What I'm remained confused is the cure of the ACIS virus, because it seems like the story concentrated on what caused the monsters and thorns.

Oh well, the story wasn't bad in the end but characters lacked that spark that the only character that i acknowledge in this movie was Marco. He was the MVP of this movie, too bad he had to die though because I thought he was great.

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 29, 2019 2:26 PM

Aug 2012
I've literally just finished watching this film mere minutes ago and I thought the the first part of the film as they try to escape was a solid mix of horror and action. But then the movie completely loses the plot in every sense. I could barely follow what the characters were even going on about after awhile.

Such a shame that a totally solid foundation was once again ruined by someone(s) on staff wanting to be far too ambitious. So many great films are so because of their simplicity, even those with deep psychological elements often times are discreet when presenting that narrative. This one was trying to bludgeon the viewer with things that amounted to mostly babble.

Even the twist of what happened to Kasumi at the cliff could have still had an impact in a plot as simple as those earlier moments in the film. Once every one started going on about a bunch of existential garbage the movie got less and less interesting and engaging.

At least the animation overall was a nice package and the action moments even after the plot devolved were still pretty good.
Apr 5, 2019 9:25 PM

Jul 2016
maaan i didn't want the scientist to die... yeah he was fked up but he was interesting
also the horror in here is handled amazingly, like this right here:

even moments solely for suspense are more frightening than surprising
the animation switching from lovely 2d to suddenly offputting 3d is so unnerving
AND FUUUCKING BUMMER THE SD CARD GOT BURNT MFFFFKER
is the other sister the test subject?
man, seeing the police dude almost get lost in the room with all the doors hurt my fucking heart
(alice died from experiments? ah, you fkers)
MY MAN TURNED INTO STONE NOOOOO!!!! my favorite character aside from alice and the scientist ://
"Risk your lives to protect the small Asian girl wearin glasses." i straight up lol'd at this sub, ah, funimation. i mean it's true but that description xD
so, since kasumi ended up being a alternative created by her conformant sister, she's never gonna get medousa. convenient

-

now that is one true fantasy mixed with sci fi movie. very intriguing subjects, themes, concepts, and ideas. it would be nice if this were a anime series or a series of ova's instead, there's so many mysteries and unexplained shit in the movie that it would definitely benefit from a longer adaptation (or as a book too). it's clear that there's a whole universe behind this 1 hour and 48 minute movie pitch... wish there was more. (just searched it up and there's a manga, the original source material. nevermind. i plan to read it now after watching this work of art! besides the CGI. based off of what i've read from the wiki's, the manga is vastly different as expected with the time constraints. maybe the plot holes and explanations will be less daft than the movie, less deaths??? i turned my brain off but even then, sometimes i was just like "um... ok... i guess... I GUESS??? lol"

and yeesh
for a main character, kasumi is somewhat unlikeable or unsuitable. she doesn't really contribute much to, well, anything. i mean obviously, she is a big part. but i think that 'big part' of hers in the ibara no ou universe *movie* is due to purely circumstance, she's always kind of passive even when she's trying to be assertive. ex: "i don't want to leave anyone behind!", yet she has so little of a presence and an influence that everyone could have easily just left him behind without paying much heed. she also tried to kill herself and then herself again, except this time trying to kill her sister along in a double suicide. it would have been better for humanity if her sister straight up was like 'oh fuk it i'm outta here my sister has always been very problematic good riddance bye i'm just gonna skip the whole kINg oF tHoRnS thing.' it's a good thing she was taken care of by the group.

tldr; she is dull as those glasses. imagine if we had a different main character ya'll know wat i'm sayin???
Cazqui-09Apr 5, 2019 9:29 PM
Feb 5, 2021 4:38 AM

Dec 2018
This whole movie is a bigass nightmare ;3
And I'm still not sure which one of the twin died. Guess I'm dumb
Apr 3, 2021 4:03 PM

May 2018
Damn! So, it really was less than 48 hours since they'd been placed in cold sleep? Shizuki set it off!

I wanted Marco to live!

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Apr 19, 2021 12:50 AM
Aug 2018
Anyone know why it's so hard to find a full subbed version of the anime? All of the ones I've found end around the 1:10:22 mark. I had to finish the rest in dubbed
Aug 1, 2021 9:26 AM
Feb 2021
So both twins die and Kasumi is a clone from her sister imagination and she has to sacrifice her body in order to make her sister alive again like dayum she lost both of her parents and even her sister and Marco didn’t deserve to die for me this a 7/10
Aug 11, 2021 8:59 AM
Mar 2018
The music was very nice. So does the soundtrack literally not exist at all? If not that's a shame and if it does, what kind of back door, loopholes do you have to go through to find it? I've searched CDJapan, AmazonJP, MoraJP, qobuz, nyaa, and even just google searching but it appears to not exist at all. There's no mention of it being included with the video releases either. wtf
Jan 2, 2023 3:15 PM
Sep 2015
This movie reminded me a lot of the Silent Hill film, the plot, the photography, the cinematography.
Overall I liked, specially considering that this adapts 6 vols of manga
May 28, 2023 8:06 PM

Jun 2008
Monad said:
Nope you are wrong. What happened is that when they were in the cliff Kasumi died and Shizuku lived. But Shizuku was shocked and her virus started acting. The scientist took her and put her in a special room to study her because she seemed to have the same ability as Alice of managing to make her dreams become reality.
The intense shock of seeing Kasumi die cause her to materialize that ability.
While they were making there experiments they lost power and that made the lose control and Shizuku's dream went beyond their control creating those thorns etc and then she created an avatar that looked like herself to go and open the room where the sleeping people are and put a sleeping Kasumi she created out of her imagination inside one of the sleeping capsules. 
So basically the Kasumi we were watching was a creature created by the imagination of her sister. Shizuku never moved an inch from that room the scientist put her. She was sleeping there al the time and her presence was only materialized a few times by an avatar that looked like her.

I agree with this interpretation. The movie left a lot of important points unexplained though, so disappointing.
I can't help wondering about the contents of that USB drive ._.

Jul 27, 3:07 PM
Feb 2024
Could have been a good movie, but it's such a mess.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What is happening?

future_dose - Jan 27, 2020

0 by future_dose »»
Jan 27, 2020 9:02 AM

» Huh?

Kira01 - Jul 23, 2009

5 by future_dose »»
Jan 27, 2020 8:43 AM

» Ibara no Ou

Esheraz - Nov 28, 2013

1 by ExoticBankai »»
Feb 9, 2016 12:59 PM

» King of Thorn

Jroflcopter - May 10, 2011

6 by Haruhi_LilyLover »»
Dec 29, 2013 3:22 PM

» Sub groups?

coyote256 - Nov 7, 2010

10 by Ziron »»
Dec 22, 2010 4:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.