Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Nov 12, 2018 10:45 AM

Feb 2014
A wholehearted tribute towards a bond that can never be weaved in words. Truly amazing description that squared equally towards Wolf Children. Such an amazing role of a woman as Maquia. It really showed how a woman grooms to be a mother. Its such one of roles that always makes me wonder how beautiful and inspiring a woman is. Though I do think they're scary at times, its moments like these that make me wanna cherish them for who they would be.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Nov 13, 2018 3:34 PM

Jul 2015
This was too beautiful, and too sad.

Although I can see how the way the events turned out to be was better for both Maquia and Ariel, but I still can't get over how shitty he treated her at some points; the very person who devoted her life and gave up her innocence to save and raise him.

Poor Maquia, and Krim too. They sacrificed everything only to get the short end of the stick; especially Krim. He devoted his life to save the others, and look how he was gone.. alone and forgotten. Well at least precious Maquia was there to send him off.

My chest was really tight towards the end and now I'm depressed T_T

9.5/10 just beautiful.. would definitely watch again T_T
b-okiyaNov 13, 2018 3:42 PM
Nov 13, 2018 4:20 PM

Sep 2014
Damn you onion cutting ninjas! was a nice watch for sure! The time skips kept the story interesting. The characters felt nice, same with the world in general (well not like you can do anything wrong with the realiable medieval setting + fantasy elements .. DRAGONS). And seeing a girl trying her best to become a mother was just heart warming!

Now when Im writing this Im kinda split between "It was a breath of fresh air" and "It feels like I have seen this before" - weird feeling.

Its definitely overrated right now (top 15 for movies), but I guess this will even out after more people have watched it.

I cant shake the feeling though that we had actually 4 time skips but the part between the second and 3rd was forgotten. What I mean by that - Maquia got abducted, Lang tells us they have found a second Iorphian who never gets any screentime or even mentioning after this and boom we are back with Cream/Krim cutting her hair (and some weird subtitles telling us she is pregnant - this together with the missing part in between would actually make sense, but it also is not necessary for the story they have told so far so I guess it is not important)

It overall felt like a nice movie, reminded me of Makoto Shinkais works, especially the place promised in our early days (or maybe its just time I watch that again and that is why I have to think about it) but it also feels less polsihed.

I gave this 8/10 because the overall story ties in together nicely, we got a nice ending, the time skips actually work and it was a rollercoaster with happy moments instead of just sad ones.

I wish we could get more movies like this one.#

PS: Not that we have the nice and emotional side out of the way, time to go overly in depth and criticise the narrative!

Why do they not use their last dragon? I actually assumed it had died already (in the cut part between time skip 2 and 3) but it was just there chilling and everyone has forgotten about it.

Why do we get the information that they got a second Iorphian girl at the same as Maquia disappears only for them to completely skip what happened?
Apparently enough time passed for MC kun to find his childhood girlfriend and get her pregnant plus 9month passing, and the main heroine whom we shared the pov with just was on energy saving mode? - Really there must have been more than 3 time skips.
Comander-07Nov 13, 2018 4:28 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 17, 2018 3:06 PM

Oct 2015
Funny how Leilia was not going to leave her child for Krim but would leave it for Marquia, proving she didn't love him in the first place. I see Ariel grew up to be an old man well that was good for him, such a beautiful daughter also.

Overall it was a let down for me. At the beginning of the movie everything was perfect a 10/10 masterpiece with Marquia and Ariel side by side as mother and child. But then Ariel grew up and turned into this monster brat who turned his back on her and even wanted to drunk kiss her, I lost respect for it and it got worse for my enjoyment. It only got good when they had that heart to heart nearby the water but it was too late for me as I didn't feel its comeback.

To me it was about enjoyment and I didn't fully get it, but because it had a great animation.

7/10.
lihle808Nov 17, 2018 3:10 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 18, 2018 2:30 AM

Mar 2015
This movie was honestly better then i ever expected it would be
So much better...
But even at the end I still have one question grinding the back of my mind

HOW OLD IS MAQUIA AT THE END OF THE MOVIE

I have my own theorys but having an actual confirmed number would be quite useful...
And I highly doubt unless we get info from the creators we will ever find out a birthday xD
Nov 19, 2018 9:39 AM

Dec 2014
the whole film was good but the end though...what became of leila why did she leave her daughter...hmmm
Nov 19, 2018 10:57 PM

Jun 2014
Gellandor said:
So much better...

I have my own theorys but having an actual confirmed number would be quite useful...
And I highly doubt unless we get info from the creators we will ever find out a birthday xD

She is 15 when she adopt ariel, you can say ariel was a newborn at that time.
If you approximate ariel age at his deathbed at around ~80 yrs old then Maquia is 95 at the end of the movie.
Nov 19, 2018 11:03 PM

Mar 2015
Thai777 said:
Gellandor said:
So much better...

She is 15 when she adopt ariel, you can say ariel was a newborn at that time.
If you approximate ariel age at his deathbed at around ~80 yrs old then Maquia is 95 at the end of the movie.

Yea i did my own theory crafting for her ending age and it was around 100, but having an actual creator confirmed age and birth date would somehow just make the whole idea more complete in my head
Nov 21, 2018 7:08 PM

Sep 2011
I am genuinly surprised how much better this was than i expected, extremely well directed too especially given how ambitious the sense of scale was with how much time was conveyed. I really didnt expect the final section to have such a strong impact on me like it did.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 22, 2018 12:45 PM
Mar 2015
A paen to motherhood. What makes a mother? One girl raises another mother's child while another mother is denied even to see her mother. Glad she was able to be with Ariel at the end and cry for him
Nov 24, 2018 9:29 PM

Sep 2017
YOOOOO WHAT THE FUK. Why is this so underrated. (toxic mode activated) This anime deserves to be on top of 90% of the anime out there. I literally thought this was so popular, that my inner hipster self was barely standing. Unfortunately, MAL says otherwise. I'm not a good critique,

I'll just say it's 95% better than any other anime in terms of animation; 80% better in terms of story; 70% better in terms of characters; 80% in terms of sounds. Voice acting (idk tbh): 70%? AND BRUH, the CINEMATOGRAPHY is agdksjafga <3

If you're looking for a family themed anime this isn't something you'd want to miss. Maybe this one will eventually stand out in the near future. I just think it's missing a lot of attention than any other anime out there.

"The universe was made, just to be seen by my eyes."
Nov 25, 2018 9:45 AM

Dec 2016
This movie is amazing in pretty much every way, loved it
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 26, 2018 4:31 AM

Apr 2016
I remember a scene, when krim said something to maquia regarding her hair and being pregnant?what?
Nov 27, 2018 12:28 PM

Mar 2015
R_TF said:
I remember a scene, when krim said something to maquia regarding her hair and being pregnant?what?

People in this thread have answered this many times, but for the sake of making life easy for you i will restate the facts presented

Longstory short its an error in the subbing in a way
what krim REALLY ment was that she LOOKS like she is pregnant because within that culture the pregnant women GROW THEIR HAIR OUT

And even with broken subs you can tell that the scene is her "shedding her past" in a way

Hope this clears this up a bit, if not feel free to look around in the thread and you will get it cleared up!
Nov 27, 2018 1:32 PM

Apr 2016
Gellandor said:
R_TF said:

People in this thread have answered this many times, but for the sake of making life easy for you i will restate the facts presented

Longstory short its an error in the subbing in a way
what krim REALLY ment was that she LOOKS like she is pregnant because within that culture the pregnant women GROW THEIR HAIR OUT

And even with broken subs you can tell that the scene is her "shedding her past" in a way

Hope this clears this up a bit, if not feel free to look around in the thread and you will get it cleared up!

Thanks mate :) that was helpful.
Nov 30, 2018 12:05 PM
Mar 2016
This is too sad & weird. Wish I never see anything like that ever again.
Happy watching
Dec 1, 2018 2:02 PM

Sep 2015
The visuals and the OST were stunning really, and I really liked what they did with the characters overall. It was such a refreshing tale of motherhood, I enjoyed the ride from beguining to end and the last scene managed to make me cry a bit. Good job for that!

But I have some issues with the pacing especially towards the end, the time skips were pulling me out of immersion and left me with a lot of questions each time. Also we don't know what happened to most of the characters that were introduced but I can forgive that considering the story was told mostly from Maquia's POV.

There was one scene that felt really off though, and others already pointed it out : when Leilia abandoned her daughter on that tower. That felt competely out of character and made no sense.

Despite its flaws I enjoyed it a lot, it was a good movie !
Dec 1, 2018 6:55 PM

Aug 2009
We need more movies like this, 10/10.
Dec 1, 2018 10:21 PM

Sep 2013
Considering the high rating of this anime, Im not gonna lie, I expected more from this movie. I mean so far all the highly rated movies here on MAL that I've watched have actually been enjoyable to me. This was kinda meh to be honest. The story was very messy and all over the place. If this was a series I think it would have been better. There was too much timeskip and they didnt put enough development on the current timeline.

It bothered me that Leilia just abandoned her daughter who longed for her without even giving her a proper goodbye. Like seriously wtf Leila? I was honestly happy Ariel and Maquia maintained the mother-son relationship til the end and didnt took a weird turn. I have never understood this "raising your waifu/husbando" type of premise in anime and manga, and why there are so many stories like this *cough*usagi drop*cough*.

Anyway, overall it wasnt a good or bad movie for me. It was kinda just average for me I guess. The premise was interesting but I just didnt find myself into it than I expected.
7/10
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Dec 1, 2018 10:24 PM

Sep 2013
R_TF said:
That bothered me too so I did a bit of googling. Apparently she wasnt actually pregnant and Krim was just being sarcastic. It was just sarcasm that was lost in translation.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Dec 2, 2018 1:47 AM

Jul 2011
Story and characters sucked.
Worldbuilding really failed.
Art/animation were good on the other hand.

So 4-5/10 overall.
Dec 2, 2018 7:37 PM

Jun 2013
I was a bit skeptical at first since Mari Okada was involved. And knowing her style, I was under the assumption that there would be unnecessary drama as usual but thankfully that was not the case in this movie.

I really liked the dynamics of the motherly love and devotion. It was nicely portrayed. Additionally, the art and music really complimented the story. But half-way through towards the end it was poorly executed and rushed. The story suddenly accelerated with Maquia being kidnapped, Ariel and Dita starting a family, and an anti-Mezarte confederation attack.

The end was good and expected. The flash backs Maquia had of Ariel were really something. But I kind of felt bad for Krim and Lang's unrequited love.
Dec 7, 2018 1:55 PM

Nov 2016
Love that kind of movies Im now full of happiness :) :) It looks like this year we got 2 really good anime movies (another one is Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai)
Dec 11, 2018 11:23 AM

Jul 2012
I shed many tears to this movie and end up sobbing at multiple scenes in the second half. This was beautiful. She was happy to have loved even if she lost her only son.

This movie really shows how beautiful life is and how we should cherish it and live it to the fullest. It also reminds us that we should always let our loved ones know we appreciate them as time is so limited.

The only thing that was a bit confusing or out of place was Leilia's subplot... A bit unnecessary. Krim was a bit extra too.

Easy 9/10.
Dec 11, 2018 4:07 PM

Mar 2015
too bad a lot of the story didn't make sense/was badly explained or straight up unecessary

the characters were pretty good by movie standards

the world building was average but the art made up for it i guess? was like a super sped up industrial revolution with a lot of nonsense and without the rural exodus

still the movie focuses on characters and drama which they did pretty well so ill go with 8/10
Dec 11, 2018 4:43 PM

May 2013
Idk if this movie is to my taste, lol

I liked it a lot at first, but then it was just okay

The animation is beautiful and I'm happy it took a different course than the usual predictable plotlines (expectation of Ariel growing up and ending with Maquia romantically).

I wish she ended up with Lang tbh :3 but I guess traveling independently is fine
It's too bad Krim ended up the way he did. He seemed like he suffered alone til the end, not understanding Maquia or Leilia .-.

Wonder what happened to Leilia afterwards. Oh wells. I didn't get why she didn't take her daughter with her lol. That poor girl was left by herself D; and she didn't even hate anyone :( I'm happy that Regano dragon was freed tho

6/10- I just don't really like the storyline, ahhah ^^"
Dec 13, 2018 6:35 AM
Jun 2017
Just recently watched this one and I love the STORY and the animation of it... but what i have love the most is on how they have shown the love of a mother to his son (not blood related), from the hardships of both of them, the fun times they have together and up until the end...

*ariel here started as a baby where Maquia have seen the baby and she take care of him and then their journey started. From baby, ariel became a kid,teen, young adult up until he became a grandparent. Maquia retain her facial feature since they are immortal.

A very touching story and a must watch...
Dec 13, 2018 5:16 PM

May 2016
I guess I expected too much, sadly I am part of the negative opinion.
Rushed and skipped a lot of parts just to build tension.
I like to post in manga forum when I feel it is worth it, so people think. "Shit, is her again" or something.

People asked me where I read certain thing but the rules say no telling where did you read so maybe I am too boring for not saying? Or salty because you didn't check my profile that says don't ask because I hate people to ghost me after that. I love learning languages so maybe I did not read the manga in English.
Dec 13, 2018 9:39 PM

Dec 2010
Aw I thought I'd love this movie but it was just....okay.
They could've done a lot better with the characters of Krim and Barlow.

7/10
Dec 14, 2018 3:25 PM

Mar 2013
The end card... was that Leilias daughter with the red hair with the other Iorphs?
KilikcliaDec 14, 2018 3:28 PM
Dec 15, 2018 10:48 AM

Aug 2015
Everything about the movie was good except for leila

She was truly a selfish and hypocrite person and i would have preferred that she would have died in the end instead of krim
Dec 15, 2018 3:01 PM

Apr 2017
I loved it, there are no words to describe how I felt watching it, never before had I seen anything like it, It was a beautiful tale and I dont think I will ever forget it, there were so many scenes where I couldn't help but tear up.

From the scenery to the character design everything was stunningly beautiful, 10/10 movie, looking foward to rewatching it and sobbing uncontrollably again.
Dec 15, 2018 10:33 PM
Dec 2018
I have a few question regarding the anime:

1. Why Ariel break his promise to Maquia and leave her? Regardless on how she treat him like a kid, its not good enough reason to leave your mother. >.>
2. Why when Ariel called Maquia 'Mother' and asked her not to leave, she leaves him anyway? Why she thinks that leaving someone that is her life is the best decision to make at that time?
3. Why Leilia refused to leave with Krim before her marriage to the Prince? Why she decided to stay? Why staying with the Prince is a good idea?
4. Why Leilia refused to leave with Krim after he asked her to leave for a 2nd time? She gave him reason that she wants to see her daughter but why she leave with Maquia anyway at the end after seeing her daughter for like 10 seconds? I thought she gonna stay for her daughter but why she left with Maquia? I thought Leilia loves Krim, why he is not good enough for her to leave? Its really confusing lol
5. Why the Prince forbidden Leilia to see her daughter? Why she cant give birth to another children? If she failed to give him a son for the first time, he could try again and again with her until he got what he wants. Its really illogical for him to expect he will get a magical son on a first try.

I thought the anime is really good but it shows that love didnt stand the test of time. Its heartbreaking when Maquia herself give excuses to Ariel leaving her when she said he is 'protecting' her when in reality, he did left her to live on his own. No mother should utter such excuses when in reality, the son did break her heart. I dont understand the contrasting words and actions that the characters in this anime is doing. They are saying one thing but they are doing the opposite of their words. Why is that? I feel like the writer trying to be clever but failed at the end. :(
tsuyoi_hikariDec 16, 2018 10:33 PM
Dec 16, 2018 8:36 AM

Apr 2017
tsuyoi_hikari said:
I have a few question regarding the anime

It's not a movie without flaws, most of my problems came from how characters handled/reacted during some pretty vital moments, it did bother me greatly and I asked myself those same questions, even so, I still loved it, it all led to extremely bittersweet and heartwrenching scenes, I felt feels you wouldnt belive.
I will try my best to answer your questions.

1: Definately, from constantly having to move and being mistaken for siblings or lovers it surely had an effect on him, although the main reason was probably how for all he did or tried to do he was still a child in her eyes, he wanted to become a man, he wanted to be able to protect her, not the other way around, still, it could have been handled better, there was no need for such drastic separation and he did break his promise...

2: Besides forcing us to sob without pause? Well, hard to figure out, that was an extremely emotional moment, I figure she did what she did so he could finally live his life without relying on her, he had his own family now and she was immortal, she would never fit in, or so she thinks. Do I agree with it? No, I was crying my eyes out begging her not to go, they had finally been reunited, they deserved better. All in all, thanks to a powerful delivery that scene is among the most memorable ones in all of anime history, fantastic work.

3: She was pregnant, there was no coming back after that, so for the sake of properly and safely raising her child she stayed.

4: Krim wanted her to leave it all behind, but she couldn't, for all the suffering she endured this was her life now, she couldn't abandon her only child.
Their love was too young, it never properly bloomed, time passed for Leila, too much happened and too much had changed, like Maquia they both matured from their experiences, Krim didnt, he was left behind, only being able to regret how time stoped for him but not for everyone else.
Now comes the jarring sequence, after finally seeing her child again one would expect another beautiful and emotional reunion, but thanks to some rather out of character behavior from Leila it doesnt, and I cant help but blame it on poor characterization on the staff's part, Leila never had time to develop.

5: Unnecessary harsh behaviour if you ask me. They wanted and needed a male heir to inherit the throne, and thats not what they got, and now Leila was probably infertile? Hard to say. I guess they did so as punishment or to not let an Iorph influence a royal family member.

I feel you mate, I did have some personal issues with the movie, I felt like they could have handled things better, but their choices did leaves us with an extremely beautiful and emotional movie. Though I can poke at its flaws they were nowhere near enough to affect my enjoyment, all they did was make me cry even harder, guess thats what they were going for.
Between my sobbing I was hoping, praying, for a happy ending, it shows how much it all had affected me. I was too attached. They managed to make me care so much! That's definitely a point in their favor, it proves they did a good job.
FujimotoTakashiDec 16, 2018 9:44 AM
Dec 16, 2018 10:28 PM
Dec 2018
FujimotoTakashi said:
tsuyoi_hikari said:
I have a few question regarding the anime

It's not a movie without flaws, most of my problems came from how characters handled/reacted during some pretty vital moments, it did bother me greatly and I asked myself those same questions, even so, I still loved it, it all led to extremely bittersweet and heartwrenching scenes, I felt feels you wouldnt belive.
I will try my best to answer your questions.

Thank you so much for your time in answering my questions! :D

Like you, I'm really frustrated with the way some of the characters are behaving. Like I understood their intentions and reasons, but it just shows how their 'love' is not strong enough to stand the test of time. I guess thats the thing that make me really frustrated. I understood the writer's intention to make us cry, but she should have done it with more reasonable reasons and not some irrational or illogical reasons.

I dont get Leila & Ariel the most. Ariel should have known best how his mother loves him. And for him not to visit her or realize that she was kidnapped by Krim was really cruel on his part. Her love is real, and he himself should have known that regardless on how she looks. You are always be your mother's baby no matter how old you are. Everyone knows that. :(

I didnt realize Leila was pregnant at that time. ^^' I watched it on the plane so I guess I missed that part hehe

But I was crying like a baby by the time the movie ended. Particularly because I just lost my Mum this year and this subject really hit me hard in the heart. I would never do the things that Ariel did to Maquia. He took her love for granted and I am mad at him for doing that...
Dec 17, 2018 6:34 AM

Oct 2015
Honestly, I was quite disappointed. I expected a love story between the "mother" and the "son", starting from a mother-son relationship to a more complex one of love between two people who cannot fall in love (because of immortality stuff, etc). The tragic and the drama behind the story would have been better. It is just my opinion though
Dec 17, 2018 12:39 PM

Apr 2017
tsuyoi_hikari said:

Like you, I'm really frustrated with the way some of the characters are behaving. Like I understood their intentions and reasons, but it just shows how their 'love' is not strong enough to stand the test of time. I guess thats the thing that make me really frustrated. I understood the writer's intention to make us cry, but she should have done it with more reasonable reasons and not some irrational or illogical reasons.

I dont get Leila & Ariel the most. Ariel should have known best how his mother loves him. And for him not to visit her or realize that she was kidnapped by Krim was really cruel on his part. Her love is real, and he himself should have known that regardless on how she looks. You are always be your mother's baby no matter how old you are. Everyone knows that. :(

But I was crying like a baby by the time the movie ended. Particularly because I just lost my Mum this year and this subject really hit me hard in the heart. I would never do the things that Ariel did to Maquia. He took her love for granted and I am mad at him for doing that...

Yup, It did annoy me how he just got up and left, didn't even hug her, I bet he regrets it immensely. One scene shows Lang talking to Ariel about having spotted an Iorph, its possible they were looking for Maquia, since she had disapeared, thanks to that scummy fuck Krim, so at the very least he might be worried and/or tried to get in touch with her before.
Maquia deserved so much better, she's without a doubt best anime mom, Ariel shouldn't have brokem his promise, that was unforgivable. Sorry four loss by the way, this must have hit you too close for comfort.

Anowser said:
Honestly, I was quite disappointed. I expected a love story between the "mother" and the "son", starting from a mother-son relationship to a more complex one of love between two people who cannot fall in love (because of immortality stuff, etc). The tragic and the drama behind the story would have been better. It is just my opinion though

On the contrary, I was very, very, very glad it didnt go that way, it would have undermined the whole story and ruined its emotional depth for a cliche we have seen a million times.
What we got was something genuine, unique, pure. I will always treasure it.
FujimotoTakashiDec 17, 2018 2:02 PM
Dec 20, 2018 2:47 PM

Jul 2015
Holy fuck, and I thought that nothing could match Clannad in terms of crying, I'm shaking so hard right now.

The pass of time is something that terrifies me and this movie hit me like a truck, the dead mother protecting her son, the death of the dog symbolizing the end of a life and what awaits to Maquia due to she aging differently, all the tragedies that happen through the story, the birth of his daughter and seeing what mother's love is, and let's not talk about the last scene with Ariel's death, oh god that moment will stay stuck in my head.

10/10, absolutely beautiful movie.
Dec 20, 2018 10:18 PM

Dec 2014
Good movie, I wanted to watch this for quite some time but today while flying back home I noticed the airlines had this movie and needless to say this is what I watched through the flight. XD

I feel Okada Mari did a really good job on her directorial movie debut, was way better than a lot of her recent 'anime' works.

The movie shines in my opinion when it's showcasing Maquia and her experiences as a new mother and Ariel. The whole Leilia and Krim plotline felt very tacked on as I didn't really feel for them. Maquia's scenes however hit really hard. Every little thing from her first discovering the baby tightly protected by the mother, her raising Ariel, the Dog's death, Ariel growing up all the way to the very end where she watches him pass away was extremely well presented and very endearing. The final scene where Maquia finally cries made me tear up, that was so emotional. :(

The soundtrack and art was fantastic as expected from P.A works.

As I mentioned before I think the movie's biggest downfall is purely because of the whole side plot line which often felt a little forced down onto me. I feel that time could've been better spent with more screentime on Maquia and Ariel but nonetheless it was a really good movie.

8/10
Dec 21, 2018 5:37 PM

May 2012
Well this sure was a very amazing anime I must say, The art direction and the story were so fantastically made!! Not only that but the way they managed to work with the whole time skips was just wonderful!

Really beautifully put in picture I must say, and well it really has been a while since I've watched a movie this great!
RafaelDeJonghDec 26, 2018 10:33 AM
Dec 22, 2018 7:17 AM

May 2018
Amazing anime but seriously though Leilia is dumb. She should just run away when she had the chance. Other than that, beautiful. Poor Krim. Got NTR so badly.
Dec 22, 2018 1:00 PM

Aug 2013
This was an amazing and beautiful movie. 9/10.

Loved everything about this movie.

Dec 22, 2018 2:30 PM

Jul 2015
this is a good movie but honestly, only until 9/10 cuz it didn't have the gravity like the "ur name", maybe its because the concepts were kind of sad and awkward (and its not movie's fault) so it kind of did a good job overall but it couldn't reach that 10 level.
Dec 25, 2018 8:03 AM
Nov 2016
can i get more tissue pls?
Dec 27, 2018 3:55 AM

Jan 2015
Lmfaoooo I cried like 4 times

10/10
Dec 29, 2018 11:59 PM
Mar 2016
FFS I would give this 1/10 because Ariel didn't hug Maquia when The war ended and Maquia didn't go together with her only son.
jk
I really want them to be together in the end tho
I was like screaming all the time when they had a chance to meet
Jan 1, 2019 5:23 PM

Jul 2015
WELLLL...... just ugly cried for thirty minutes straight but it’s fine I’m fine everything’s fine
Jan 4, 2019 1:57 AM

Aug 2017
That was an impressive movie, although not without flaws. CGI felt really off sometimes (mostly the scenes involving soldiers and that one bridge scene with CG dragon and knights). That same scene also felt kinda strange because of this "you can easily thrust a freaking dragon with a dagger so that the blade enters his body completely despite his armor" thing. I was also disappointed that Dita and Deol were basically thrown away from the story despite Lang's continuous presence in it. Why make such a strange choice?
Also, I think that Barlow (that half-Iorph merchant who appears out of nowhere a couple of times) was a perfect example of a character who was introduced without sane reason and never got developed. Like, he once mentioned Racine by name, and that might imply him having some close relationship to her... and it never got elaborated on. He is just basically a random guy appearing in some places to comfort Maquia and help her.
Finally, Maquia kidnapped by Krim (who was plotting against Mezarte with another kingdom) felt quite rushed and out of place. I kinda understand where his motives come from, but the execution is not great here.

Despite all that, the main point of the movie (the motherhood theme and the grief of being nearly immortal so that you outlive the ones you love) was executed well on both narrative and emotional levels.

Overall, I generally enjoyed Maquia both visually and emotionally, a solid 8/10 (because of the aforementioned flaws)

Some interesting further reading:
How P.A. works is trying to raise yound animators and what it has to do with Maquia:
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/06/30/maquia-when-p-a-works-blooms-effectively-raising-a-new-generation-of-animators/
Maquia production notes (I was just blown away by the amount of work Toshiyuki Inoue did on this movie)
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/11/01/maquia-when-the-promised-flower-blooms-sayoasa-production-notes/
An interview with Mari Okada:
http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/how-new-anime-maquia-when-the-promised-flower-blooms-upset-mothers-in-japan
Jan 4, 2019 2:59 AM

Dec 2012
I legit bawled like a baby while watching this..... jesus christ it's been a while
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jan 8, 2019 4:42 PM

Mar 2016
Loved the movie and the themes it played around with (dying legends, pain of partings and profound love in new meetings, and raising a child all alone with a painful destiny awaiting). 9/10.
Respect to all mothers out there. Mortal or immortal, they’ll probably never always be by our side, so cherish them for the man (or woman) they raised you to be.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ariel x maquia anyone? ( 1 2 )

Shiyuru99 - Nov 1, 2018

59 by tessituraa »»
Jul 31, 3:12 PM

» Only reason it isn't perfect.

Kamikoto_kl - Apr 18, 2022

5 by shuffle_017 »»
Jan 20, 8:00 AM

» Question about krim

Bruhdotmp3 - Apr 9, 2022

3 by shuffle_017 »»
Jan 20, 7:56 AM

» "Let's Decorate the Morning of Farewells with the Promised Flowers"

MinhQuan_Luu - Nov 4, 2018

3 by Obakezoku »»
Aug 13, 2023 8:04 AM

» Questions about Half-Iorph

Kyyo - Nov 7, 2021

5 by ikasamatensai »»
Jun 29, 2023 7:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.