Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2018 4:13 PM
Jul 2015
Shit, I had a hard time following along, if at all. It was very confusing, lots of stuff happening.
That's not necessarily bad though, as long as it'll be explained one way or another.

I'm intrigued

Apr 7, 2018 4:20 PM

Mar 2014
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT PACING

Still, it was better than I expected it to be Goro fanservice is also always nice. THANK GOD A-1 went with the Shinsekai Yori director instead of Seiji Kishit.
glamazon said:
okay now i'm finished the episode and at least it's better than p4ga? but i agree it's way too rushed and why

but awakening was better in the anime imo so congrats?
DragonSlayer_19 said:
I agree with some people here. Some voices are better in english like Kamoshida’s, Ryuji, and most of all Akechi. Akechi has hands down the best voice in the english dub, and if you played the game, you’ll know why ;)
Speak for yourselves, I dislike both Ryuji's and Akechi's English voices (especially Akechi's).

Kamoshida's English voice is good though, I'll give you that
Comic_SansApr 7, 2018 4:36 PM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 7, 2018 4:39 PM

Jun 2008
Runningman0301 said:
will there be romance in this season ?

I highly doubt it. You'd have to play the game for that.
Apr 7, 2018 4:43 PM

Oct 2013
Pretty good episode, it was a bit confusing and all over the place, but I liked it.
Apr 7, 2018 5:07 PM
Feb 2018
"You never see it coming"
Well well, im impressed
Apr 7, 2018 5:09 PM

Oct 2017
Good first ep (if a bit rushed)..just hope they deliver throughout its run. Persona 5 was amazing and deserves a good adaptation
Apr 7, 2018 5:13 PM
Sep 2016
It seems that it will be a good anime, the game seemed very good and the artistic style is great. It will not be a masterpiece but it will be fun to watch.
Apr 7, 2018 5:23 PM

Mar 2015
Great start. Hopefully this series will do the game justice.
Apr 7, 2018 5:27 PM

Sep 2017
This was a good ass first episode. It didn't feel rushed to me either; production values were great and considering the amount of material they have to adapt and the episode count given, I got pretty much what I expected in terms of story progression. Though I have no doubt that people who haven't played the game may be confused by all the shit that's happening.

In any case, my body is so ready to go through the entire P5 experience again. This shit is as suave as ever.

edit: The only part that felt "rushed" imo was cutting off "Beneath the Mask" after like 5-10 seconds. That song is sooo damn chill and such an incredible moodsetter, you can't just play it for five seconds over a quick montage and then move on, you have to give it some time to develop! So yeah, that was poor musical directing imo, like they only included that specific song so that fans of the game could go "ooh! I recognize that song!" Just a nitpick though.
LapisKintsugiApr 7, 2018 5:53 PM
Currently playing: Persona 3 FES, Subarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~
Apr 7, 2018 5:28 PM

May 2015
This first episode and the mystery behind MC is/was Mmm Mmm Good!
Apr 7, 2018 5:41 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Dat kamoshida voice.
I'm used to the english dub so when i heard kamoshida here it was .... wew
Apr 7, 2018 5:43 PM

Sep 2016
Didn't even played the game, but i understood what was cut or what scenes were rushed from the prologue for the game (4 hour gameplay stream last month lol). So it didn't feel rushed too me.

(The scene with the girl being harrased by that bald dude was used as a flashback to save time, good choice imo)
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Apr 7, 2018 5:59 PM

May 2015
Not really familiar with the franchise itself, but for a first episode, this was pretty decent and interesting. That ending was pretty intense as well.

So far, so good.

Apr 7, 2018 6:00 PM

May 2017
Having played the game and watched the first episode, I think the pacing was just fine considering the fact that watching a full episode of what would be the tutorial would be boring as hell. I'm glad they skimmed over the intro section of the game because the start of P5 was very trivial and boring gameplay wise (since you can't do much in the first couple weeks) They kept the important bits in and that's what matters at the end of the day.
Apr 7, 2018 6:03 PM
Apr 2018
For the most part, I felt that the pacing was excellent for a game to anime series adaptation. My only issue was with how choppy the scenes at Kamoshida's castle felt. However, I think that's to be expected with so much story ahead. The way that the episode ended with Ren's awakening was great. My wife never played the game, but watching the episode she felt that she wanted to watch more after that cliffhanger. That's great considering that she pretty much gave up after the first episode of the P4 animation. Also, the Morgana silhouette tease at the end of the credits was brutal—I can't wait for next Saturday.
Apr 7, 2018 6:08 PM

Oct 2013
enjoyed the first episode episode even though it felt a bit fast though it sounds weird hearing the voices in jap when i played the game in english .
Apr 7, 2018 6:12 PM

Sep 2015
That was a pretty good episode. Seems like A-1 got their prime team on this one, because it sure looks a hell of a lot better than what I've almost come to expect from them over the years.
Not to mention that at the end, we even got to see a StandPersona already. Looking good to me :D

Also, I love Ren's reaction to the App... he saw what it did, basically said to himself 'nope. Not dealing with this shit now. Nooope.' and just uninstalled it. That would've been the shortest anime ever if it actually worked worked.

Lastly, I love the OST so far. It's likely taken directly from the game (haven't played it yet), but it's nonetheless really fking good and nice to listen to =w=
Apr 7, 2018 6:15 PM

Jul 2013
I think this is pretty decent
I haven't played the game, but it looks interesting.
Apr 7, 2018 6:21 PM

Mar 2012
Comic_Sans said:
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT PACING

Still, it was better than I expected it to be Goro fanservice is also always nice. THANK GOD A-1 went with the Shinsekai Yori director instead of Seiji Kishit.
glamazon said:
okay now i'm finished the episode and at least it's better than p4ga? but i agree it's way too rushed and why

but awakening was better in the anime imo so congrats?
DragonSlayer_19 said:
I agree with some people here. Some voices are better in english like Kamoshida’s, Ryuji, and most of all Akechi. Akechi has hands down the best voice in the english dub, and if you played the game, you’ll know why ;)
Speak for yourselves, I dislike both Ryuji's and Akechi's English voices (especially Akechi's).

Kamoshida's English voice is good though, I'll give you that

no no not this scene it's

Apr 7, 2018 6:46 PM

Sep 2015
I'm confused, but I think that was intentional.

Dat king tho came outta no where and I laughed when I saw he wasn't wearing pants.
Apr 7, 2018 6:54 PM
Feb 2017
spicychile said:
What was rushed? Captured everything that was needed and scenes lasted long enough to make an impression. In fact, I thought the original game was still too slow at the beginning. Really liked this ep and can't wait for more!

I agree, except about the game being slow. I think the reason people are confused is because it didn't make it super clear when they were making the time jump, and the fact that they're talking about some stuff that will probably get fleshed out later, like Ren's past. Those people probably feel like they're meant to understand what's going on before it's explained. I think they made good use of every second. I also like how they stopped right before the first fight. I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest.
Apr 7, 2018 7:09 PM
Jun 2017
This is prety great. one of Atlus's games getting an anime adaption, Persona 5 looking good

now of only I can get a Shin Megami Tensei anime out of them
Fire Emblem anime when
Apr 7, 2018 7:17 PM
Dec 2017
Sugooiii Great episode
Apr 7, 2018 7:23 PM

Dec 2013
A strong beginning. Although hearing the Japanese voices instead of the english voices feel weird to me.

I love the awakenings in Persona 5.

Looking cool Joker!
Apr 7, 2018 7:42 PM
Jul 2018
Well, it looks better than expected (A-1 sometimes does good work), although I still prefer the IG animation from the game. Moreover, they did skip over multiple scenes, and pacing was a bit odd, probably to be expected but they completely combed over the interaction between Kawakami and Kamoshida talking about the protag, as well as the "DAMN BRAT I'LL SUE" scene. Which was kind of a bother. It's not like I'm expecting them to completely be true to the game, but at the same time...

Also I still wish they'd given Kamoshida a different VA overall in the JP version. That's literally the one aspect of the of the dub I prefer, how the hell they gave him such an unfitting voice in the original JP version is weird to me. It's not that hard, guys, to find a dude, with a deep, low, snarky voice, if the dubbers can do it, you can do it in the first place.
removed-userApr 7, 2018 7:46 PM
Apr 7, 2018 8:00 PM

Dec 2015
ok weird as ever but good , miss the velvet room. so what happen is ren tried to save the woman by killing the man? then he ended up needing to transfer school because of that , after that the castle where he summoned arsene? so the robbery and he got captured it what happen long way after this , do i got this right?
Apr 7, 2018 8:07 PM
Jul 2018
Damn. I fanboyed way too hard for this.

I was far too excited for the "Ren meets Ann in the rain" scene and Kawakami dropping the maid services flyer in the Principal' office made me laugh so hard

I love the little references they put for the fans, I'm enjoying this too much.
removed-userApr 7, 2018 8:10 PM
Apr 7, 2018 8:27 PM

Mar 2012
I liked it. It pretty much followed the game to a T so far. but the voice acting for kamoshida sounds like claws on a chalkboard
Apr 7, 2018 8:28 PM

Mar 2013
The anime doesn't have the same "pop" that the game did, in the way that every setting, every scene, every menu, every action was deeply infused with stylishness.

I mean I guess you can't expect everything in life to be cool like that but the fuckin anime adaptation had plenty of reference material to work off of so eh.
Apr 7, 2018 8:29 PM

Mar 2012
G_Spark233 said:
A strong beginning. Although hearing the Japanese voices instead of the english voices feel weird to me.

I love the awakenings in Persona 5.

Looking cool Joker!

same here. Loved them all. I think the dubbed will be better if they get it dubbed
Apr 7, 2018 8:34 PM

Feb 2016
Well, people saying that the awakening was better than the game scenes... Honestly I don't know, it was a little slower sure but man, Ren with the flames in his face was so top notch

Still, both versions are so good
Apr 7, 2018 8:56 PM

Jan 2016
A good start. I love how they already dropped info on Kawakami. My only real complaint here is that they don't make it obvious that Ren was defending a women from assault. It also feels a bit rushed. I know I'm going to love it though.

As someone who played through the game, it will be easy to follow. Judging from this first episode, it seems like they might make it hard to follow for people who haven't played it. Still gonna be stylish and entertaining for everyone though.
What the fuck is oatmeal?
Apr 7, 2018 8:58 PM

Apr 2013
I think the fact that it feels fast pace is because the game was dialogue heavy and we were reading. Much or most of the presentation of the first act was present in the anime it's the details that are normally covered with words that are missing.
Apr 7, 2018 9:03 PM

Jan 2011
Looking Cool Joker! heh hyped for this same time last year i was playing it now i get to relive the fun and suffering lol

Was legit impressed honestly if you weren't expecting this thing to be rushed i don't know what to say , 90-100 hours in to a 2 cour anime sounds like a nightmare to do pacing wise and they did a good job despite how fast things were going this was about 2 days/ a hour and a half of gameplay give it or take ,wish they kept the blood on the face with joker smiling scene was so good.

still i think the P3 movies are gonna still be the best adaptions but if they keep it up i'm sure it will be better than golden.

But this is gonna be a fun ride for fans as long as they don't go crazy spoiling shit, anime only watchers are gonna be hella confused most of the time till the end

let the waifu wars begin
Apr 7, 2018 10:04 PM

Jan 2018
What a great first episode! I am now gonna be totally hooked on this awesome series!
Apr 7, 2018 10:09 PM

Mar 2012
I thought the adaption for the first episode is decent even though I've already played the game. I'm still used to the english voice cast though. Nice to hear some of my favorite familiar musics again from the game.
The pacing is rushed, but that's to be expected considering the length of the game.

Credit to Hihanteki
Apr 7, 2018 10:31 PM

Jun 2013
Lelouch0202 said:
That was great.

The opening sequence was lit, so much style.

I haven't played the game even though I really really want too. Not having a console does bite you sometimes. That said, great presentation overall. I'm familiar with P4 so I think I've got the gist of what happens.

The Velvet room transition along with it's classic soundtrack was fantastic.

Is the game's story also told through a flashback kinda way as it's happening here?
I assume the bodily injuries/ whatever Ren was convicted for in the past was related to him using his power?
Are the Phantom Thieves and their calls/contracts are basically for people who are affected/affiliated from the other world?

The final scene was awesome and the OP if that's what the final song was is great too. Looking forward to more.

It is a step by step adaptation from the game. Everything is almost the same 80 % of the time .
I loved the first episode . Think i will postpone watching this series as it made me want to play the game again :D
Apr 7, 2018 10:38 PM

Jun 2013
Exeterna said:
ok weird as ever but good , miss the velvet room. so what happen is ren tried to save the woman by killing the man? then he ended up needing to transfer school because of that , after that the castle where he summoned arsene? so the robbery and he got captured it what happen long way after this , do i got this right?

The robbery at the beginning is 6 months in the future where all the squad is formed ( you can tell that by the voices on the coms talking ).

After that scene we are brought back to the beginning when he gets transferred after an unjust trail where he defended a woman . And when he first awakened to his powers .

I love how they did the Phone App "HIT" thing .
For those who did not play the game and want to know how the app works

Apr 7, 2018 10:51 PM
Oct 2011
Good episode overall.

DYED said:
Never played any Persona game, but I was curious about this adaption.

I liked the first episode, it was quite nice.
Just a pity they didn't pause enough on the Personas, I would like to know more about them. Without playing the games nor reading the wikia, of course.
The personas are based on mythological and fictional characters/creatures from our world, so if you're not familiar with them already, researching is kinda encouraged, even for game players. Ren's Persona Arsene is for example based on (not spoilers, but just in case)

eurunik said:

I love how they did the Phone App "HIT" thing .
For those who did not play the game and want to know how the app works
There's absolutely no need to spoil things that get explained later in the game/series, especially when no one asked for them...
Candor123Apr 7, 2018 10:54 PM
Apr 7, 2018 11:00 PM
Jan 2016
The directing & production value were quite up there, as expected from the director, honestly. The story flow on the other hand was quite weird. It's being told like flashback & kept coming back and forth to the present day. I mean, I could see it working on a video game, but this is not a game.

SilentSnake said:
The pacing is rushed, but that's to be expected considering the length of the game.

If that's rushed, I cannot imagine how slow the story progressing in the game. Or maybe the video game did not feel rushed because there's gameplay section between the story sections.

Apr 7, 2018 11:33 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Never ever played the game before (nor am I going to), but I was intrigued and entertained enough by this to put it on my to watch list. Loved the character designs too.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 7, 2018 11:57 PM

Aug 2016
I haven't played the game before but personally, this episode was pretty confusing for me.
The way they showed the present and the past was confusing I don't even know which is the present anymore.
Is the present when he's in the cell room?

Set by SenpieX
Apr 8, 2018 12:16 AM
Apr 2018
The principal looks like an egg
Apr 8, 2018 12:31 AM
Apr 2018
Sazerlim said:
I haven't played the game before but personally, this episode was pretty confusing for me.
The way they showed the present and the past was confusing I don't even know which is the present anymore.

Basically. Ren is telling Nijima his whole story through a series of flashbacks.
Apr 8, 2018 12:32 AM

Oct 2015
I almost died when I heard Kamoshida's Japanese voice. Apart from trailers I'm really unfamiliar with the cast in Japanese. He sounds like a goblin lol. I guess they were really trying to sell the fact that you shouldn't like this guy.

Hate to be that guy but I gotta nitpick. The animated scenes in the game are far superior. I think they had Madhouse animate them as oppose to Whitefox who is animating this anime. Also, the voice acting is really phoned in, like they weren't even trying. Or maybe that was just Mamoru Miyano. And I know the Persona games have a silent protagonist but they really couldn't give the MC some things to say? I felt like I was watching a long cutscene in the game. Funnily enough, P5MC was probably the most talkative of the persona protagonists. Sure, it was only a hand full of times but he did say some words here and there. I hope that changes and he doesn't remain a blank slate relying on the other characters to fill the silence.

That aside, I still enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 8, 2018 12:43 AM

Aug 2016
cannonspectacle said:
Basically. Ren is telling Nijima his whole story through a series of flashbacks.

Who's Nijima? Was she shown in the first episode?
I must have forgotten. XD

Set by SenpieX
Apr 8, 2018 12:45 AM

Mar 2016
Sazerlim said:
cannonspectacle said:

Who's Nijima? Was she shown in the first episode?
I must have forgotten. XD

She’s the woman interrogating him in the room. They’re gonna tell the whole story up till he was caught in the casino and brought to the room.
Apr 8, 2018 12:55 AM

Dec 2015
@eurunik thanks , glad i got the time right , and i ser that how the app works
Apr 8, 2018 12:55 AM

Oct 2017
For A1 production, I would say they nailed it in this first episode.
This time it seems to roll a 4~5 for Persona 5. Thank goodness!

The art is on point, and pacing is good too.
As someone who beat the game already, I'm really happy it gets this quality of animation.
Apr 8, 2018 1:10 AM

Jun 2013
Sazerlim said:

The story of the anime and game is actually a retelling of the events that lead to the prison cell where he is drugged.
He is trying to tell the Investigator what really happened while trying to fight the drugs in his system

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best girl?

TASM18 - Dec 30, 2022

7 by murasakikichi »»
Jun 15, 2:31 PM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2018

33 by Shota_Thighs »»
May 7, 10:57 PM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2018

143 by ArctiKFox »»
Apr 15, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2018

40 by ArctiKFox »»
Apr 14, 11:37 PM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 13 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

6 by ArctiKFox »»
Feb 21, 10:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.