Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 27, 2018 8:04 AM

Aug 2017
Shirase is awesome but the anime went downhill after episode 9. Cool ending but that last episodes were...Sorry 3/5 for the episode. 4/10 for the anime
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 27, 2018 8:07 AM

Nov 2012
Nachtwandler_21 said:
I will be short. I hope the series is popular enough to get S2 or a movie.

I'd rather they won't, I'd fear for the drama going stale now that they already resolved their own problems. Instead I want a vlog-like documentary that focuses on the exploration part of their journey.

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Mar 27, 2018 8:12 AM

Apr 2016
Simply the best anime of winter season <3
9/10
Mar 27, 2018 8:15 AM
Mar 2018
Insta aots and big chance of aoty for me, im not sure if theres any anime that will surpass yorimoi this year.

I expected feels for finale and prepared that i gonna feel empty inside after this show ended, but holy crap that ending just blow my mind at how perfect it is and how it surpass anything i expected until the last seconds. It feels really complete, satisfying, and give me joy instead of the "hollow" feeling that you usually get when you finished a good anime.

Perfect 10/10
Mar 27, 2018 8:17 AM

Jul 2017
Beautiful ending to an already wonderful series of perfect 5/5 polls and 10/10 scores.

Dare to compete for AOTS...no, AOTY???

The characters and OST strikes beautiful chords with the already brilliant storytelling, and really sad that today is the finale episode.

Gonna re-watch this soon!

Outstanding job studio Madhouse, I have more respect for you now.
Mar 27, 2018 8:18 AM

Nov 2012
HereticHunter said:
Omg, everything was so beautiful, lot of amazing shots on this episode, and we finally got the Aurora Borealis! :D[/spoiler]

That's Australis, and no don't bring up that steamed hams meme pls lol.
SeaJaegerMar 27, 2018 8:23 AM

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Mar 27, 2018 8:22 AM

Sep 2013
It's over, shirase cuts her hair and everyone says goodbye for now :'(
Megu went to the arctic too but she still seems like a btch.
9/10, maybe an ova or movie sometime.
Mar 27, 2018 8:25 AM
Mar 2018
Nachtwandler_21 said:
I will be short. I hope the series is popular enough to get S2 or a movie.

nah, I think an OVA or prequel about Takako and Gin would fit perfectly
Mar 27, 2018 8:25 AM

Sep 2016
This anime was better than I initially expected. Good characters, drama and animation. OP and Ed were also fine. 9/10

I do not think there will be a continuation as this show does not really need one.
Mar 27, 2018 8:31 AM

Mar 2016
I just don't get it, guys. The first two episodes had such creative direction, and the opening had me anticipating a journey with a rewarding destination. I like adventure, I like planning and preparing, so I was fully on board until they got on the ship (pun intended). When Hinata lost her boarding pass or whatever, it started to dawn on me that drama was going to be the bread and butter of this anime, but I figured it'd be alright, there'a almost always a payoff for drama and crisis. But nope, there is no payoff as the drama continues right up to the third to last episode. Every episode the girls just trip over episodic character drama, that always ends with everyone crying. The group does grow closer, but a big crisis is only the most obvious way to show that. Shirase is a good to great character, but the way she handles finding closure in her mother's death is overshadowed by the drama of the week. I think they try to show some subtle change in Shirase over the journey, for those paying attention. But, something that would be powerful in any other series is just another check on the list. Kimari says she loves Antarctica, but we hardly even see it. They finally make it, but it doesn't even feel like it. 'It's the journey' but when did it happen?

This final episode was fine, I guess and we return to the kind of character interaction that hooked me in the beginning. But I'm still waiting for the snow shenanigans promised in the opening. Overall, disappointed.
Mar 27, 2018 8:33 AM

Feb 2018
So, to be honest my first impression of this episode was a big distressing. After such a powerful previous episode I expected something equally powerful. Instead, it was kinda... nostalgic?, I can't find the word that precisely describes it. However, after rewatching the post-credits, I get that done this way it reflects better how you feel after an incredible journey, that downhill feeling. And all the powerful stuff was already wrapped up, so the bittersweet goodbye was all there was left to do. I still would have preferred some extra minutes in the ending to see some post-journey life, specially to see the reaction of all those who mocked Shirase. The way they closed the issue with Megu-chan was unexpected, I anticipated something more dramatic like her coming to welcome Kimari and I'm not entirely sure if this reaction matches her character, but well, it's also nice that she found her way to overcome her jealousy, and this means they'll both have something to talk about and re-connect them. Overall it's like... well, it's over and we won't see their lives go on, so it's somehow sad.
Oh, and I'd certainly not have left that million yen in a place further than the Universe, even for symbolic meaning, after spending 3 years of my youth to earn them. Please give a call to the winter team to retrieve them so you four can go on a trip around the world after university entrance exams.

So, overall impressions: This has been a rollercoaster of emotions and I'll miss it more than any show of this season, others were nice but I didn't wait so eagerly for next episode. I can't think of any major issue I haven't liked and most of all the story felt very human and empathic. If anything, I'd say that some specially good episodes (like 6 or 12) are to blame for raising expectations further than the Universe (yep, others have been good but not THAT INCREDIBLY good) and the Antarctic arc seemed to slow down the progression even if that's what lured me into this show in the first place.

In the end, it's one of those anime I'd like to rewatch every now and then. 10/10 for me.
AbeldeMediciMar 27, 2018 8:58 AM
"The world appears wonderful in the eyes of wonderful people." (Alicia Florence, ARIA)
Mar 27, 2018 8:43 AM

Apr 2017
Satisfied, One of best this season.

Mar 27, 2018 8:43 AM

Feb 2016
Jaeger07 said:
HereticHunter said:
Omg, everything was so beautiful, lot of amazing shots on this episode, and we finally got the Aurora Borealis! :D[/spoiler]

That's Australis, and no don't bring up that steamed hams meme pls lol.

Someone did that with me 4 eps ago lol, and thanks for the correction, I never knew the difference, but well you get my point xD
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Mar 27, 2018 8:45 AM

Feb 2016
Zero_r2 said:
the hell.... i came here expecting to get a "cute girls donig cute things" anime so why did i get a such beautiful story, such a great cast, damn it almost cried every episode... fuck this show for being so good, i'll put a 9/10 and its not a ten just because i reserve those to timeless masterpices like code geass and gurren lagan, but if not for that, it would be 10/10

also, kimari's friend in the artic, priceless

HereticHunter said:

[spoiler]
omg this smile, so good

Even if Shirase got her Hair nerfed, her smile is so adorable! Gotta protect this Smile!
[spoiler]

you missed an "/" on the code
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Mar 27, 2018 8:47 AM

Jul 2015
What a nice series, really stood out this season.
Would have been really hard hitting if they managed to recover the mum's body for a proper funeral but understandable.

GangsterCat said:

fuck off japan with your "character development" cutting hair bullshit
dropped 0/10

>Proceeds to rate it 9/10
Congrats, you played yourself.
Mar 27, 2018 8:54 AM

Jun 2015
This was a pretty good finale. Shirase looks like her mother with her hair cut short. The girls had a good time at Antarctica. It's an okay show overall, nothing too amazing. 6/10
Mar 27, 2018 8:54 AM

May 2015
Sora Yori is my top pick for AOTS. Fun show and I'll miss the cast. I'll be looking forward to Atsuko's work in the future.
Mar 27, 2018 9:00 AM

Aug 2014
great show it makes me want to go to antarctica
Mar 27, 2018 9:02 AM
Apr 2017
So the trip ended... So do the show
Still can't believe I was convinced by this show to make visiting Antarctica a life goal
Mar 27, 2018 9:06 AM

Sep 2016
Megu-chan is the true solo yuru camper here, Shimarin is nothing compared to her

CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Mar 27, 2018 9:09 AM

Feb 2014
Now my Tuesdays are feeling a lot emptier now, just like when Yuru Camp finished last Thursday. >_<

Ah well, this show is be on my mind for a long time. The girls had an excellent time in Antarctica, but 3 months do fly by when you're having fun, so it's sad to see them depart, but they do agree that they'll come back to Antarctica in the future.

Kimari's smile earlier in the episode made me think "We must protect this adorable smile of hers". However, along came Shirase, after having her hair cut, who beamed a million watt grin out of freaking nowhere and made me laugh and grin like her as well. That's another smile that must be protected! =D

Megumi's response right at the end to Kimari surprised me. Kimari's experience in Antarctica must've rubbed off on her as when Kimnari comes back to Japan, Megumi is in the Arctic circle, also having the time of her life. Kimari's response to that was funny. =)

Overall, this show was a big surprise. It pretty much had it all. From the enjoyable art style and excellent background art, solid animation, powerful soundtrack, memorable opening, ending and insert songs, funny moments, strong character development and some of the most emotional scenes I've seen in sometime.

The thing is, although I wouldn't mind a continuation or prequel via an OVA or movie, I feel like this story is fully complete and shouldn't need to be expanded on. At least that way, it remains more memorable in the future when we might decide to re-watch this show and re-live all of the emotions that made me, and most of other MAL users here, to love this show.

I'll give it a few days before I rate this show, since I can't decided between either a 9 or a 10. =3
Mar 27, 2018 9:09 AM

Feb 2014
So many smiles to protect!
Mar 27, 2018 9:30 AM

Jun 2012
Anime of the season for sure.
Mar 27, 2018 9:45 AM

Nov 2012

Nice blog there, and nitpicking at what's basically the raison d'etre of this show and with just any other show just because you were expecting something different is nothing new. But I'll give you this: Congratulations, you've played yourself with your absurd expectations.

Mar 27, 2018 9:53 AM

Mar 2016

Nice blog there. Not sure how wanting to see girls go to Antarctica is an 'absurd expectation' for a show about girls going to Antarctica. This season's over soon, so just calm down.
Mar 27, 2018 9:55 AM

Jun 2017
At some point I thought that towards the end there would be drama like one of the girls getting lost or in some other kind of danger. But that would have been just cliché. I really liked the story better this way.

Mar 27, 2018 9:58 AM
Jun 2016
This is definetly one of the best this season :>

If it's not the best only because we also had.

violet evergarden
tiny life in the woods

also good :>
Mar 27, 2018 10:10 AM

Jan 2015
ah, why does it have to end? nevertheless, a great conclusion to a heartwarming anime. so happy each of the girls changed for the better. i'm surprised it turned out to be this good, although i wasn't expecting much from this series when i saw the poster.
AOTS, AOTY, Anime Of My Life tbh.
Mar 27, 2018 10:15 AM

Jun 2008
Citrus aired this season, yet I'm calling something else the best anime of the season. For me, that's pretty nuts.
Mar 27, 2018 10:17 AM

May 2017
This was a good send-off episode. I would say it was a 4.5 but we cant vote like that.

I hate to see this show go. I kinda hope we get more, at least an OVA.

Mar 27, 2018 10:18 AM

Apr 2017
What can I say? I loved each ep, I mean I can't even list flaws, was all on point. Already on my top 10! Atsuko is such a great director, best female director imo. Thanks for this adventure. Also i loved Shirase new haircut, fits her so well! Best show of the season and probably of the year, let´s see.
Mar 27, 2018 10:21 AM

Apr 2012
I never thought that I that I could call slice of life anime one of the best show of the season, but it really is! Absolutely god-like main cast, strong plot and adorable characters, the absence of any vulgarity or meaningless filling, in general, it was a masterpiece.

8/10

Mar 27, 2018 10:39 AM

Feb 2013
syncrogazer said:
I just don't get it, guys. The first two episodes had such creative direction, and the opening had me anticipating a journey with a rewarding destination. I like adventure, I like planning and preparing, so I was fully on board until they got on the ship (pun intended). When Hinata lost her boarding pass or whatever, it started to dawn on me that drama was going to be the bread and butter of this anime, but I figured it'd be alright, there'a almost always a payoff for drama and crisis. But nope, there is no payoff as the drama continues right up to the third to last episode. Every episode the girls just trip over episodic character drama, that always ends with everyone crying. The group does grow closer, but a big crisis is only the most obvious way to show that. Shirase is a good to great character, but the way she handles finding closure in her mother's death is overshadowed by the drama of the week. I think they try to show some subtle change in Shirase over the journey, for those paying attention. But, something that would be powerful in any other series is just another check on the list. Kimari says she loves Antarctica, but we hardly even see it. They finally make it, but it doesn't even feel like it. 'It's the journey' but when did it happen?

This final episode was fine, I guess and we return to the kind of character interaction that hooked me in the beginning. But I'm still waiting for the snow shenanigans promised in the opening. Overall, disappointed.

Its like you are in my head and have written what I thought.

I absolutely adored this show right up until they got to Antarctica. I mean, finally, they are at Antarctica, I cant wait for all the adventure and fun that the girls will experience with some good character development in between... however, instead of that the very first episode in Antarctica, the place that was teased so much, that looked so fun in the opening... is about how Yuzuki tries to figure out what are friends...riveting stuff.

Before they arrived, the show had great progression but once they arrived it turned into drama of the week. As you said, only this last episode had brought back that magic from the beginning. What a shame. It was like they had amazing time there, we just didnt get to see it.
Mar 27, 2018 10:51 AM

Feb 2018
This anime easily became my aots, and is already in a good spot to become my aoty.
I did expect a little more from the finale though, especially with how good the previous episode was. But I still enjoyed it.
It show also helped me a great deal with my studies, and reminded me of how much I love Antarctica and why I do so. Hopefully one day I'll get the chance to partake in scientific studies over there!
Mar 27, 2018 10:52 AM

Sep 2015
A Place Further Than the Universe Overall Impressions:

I have to give this anime props. Probably the most positive aspect of A Place Further Than The Universe is the characterization of the four main girls. Mari, Yuzuki, Shirase, and Hinata are all written in a way that is so energetic and genuine as hell. Their journey to Antarctica provided a dozen of good character developments/friendships. Towards the end, Shirase’s speech before leaving the Antarctic provided a nice closing message about why the main cast travelled on a journey ‘further than the universe’. Its entire narrative is really straightforward and never loses sight of its goal. I can see why most people would love this anime.

But, I personally could not get very invested. Not that I think everything positive A Place Further Than The Universe is bad, but I felt the general light-hearted tone limited certain aspects of the story. I feel the obstacles themselves and the methods the main female cast uses to solve their problems were not jeopardizing enough to get me caring for their backstories. I can see people finding the fact that the cast are going to Antarctica to be enough of a hurdle, allowing the light-hearted tone to excel in story. But how can I exactly phrase this? I guess you could say that I expected more threatening obstacles than the preparation to Antarctica.

When I thought about Antarctica, watching the first episode of this anime, I imagine a place full of unknown obstacles. When I imagine that, I naturally think obstacles of a threatening degree, sort of like Made in Abyss’s Abyss. Obstacles that force the character to show off their darkest sides, allowing for me to see the character as three-dimensional. Just to be clear, I did not set expectations of obstacles to be grim-dark as MiA. When you set Antarctica as the barrier, my mind thinks that the compensation of seeing cute girls triumphing hurdles will give back a pay-off of seeing the girls truest colors.

But, since obstacles are handled more light-heartedly, the payoff of seeing development taking place feels less rewarding. The character explorations is there, but the degree of inner conflict was not enough for me to care. The conflict was a bit too simplistic for me. I perceived most of the obstacles as just the stepping stone to something more ominous. It made me want to look past the girls superb characterization and journey to see if there would be more than just that. As a result, I gradually declined in engagement each episode, not getting the things I desired from the anime. Watching became a blank observation than being an emotional investment towards the characters’ journey. Characterization became the only main source of interest, bringing only slight entertainment. I cared less about the story of Shirase’s mom. When episodes 11 and 12 came for the climax of Shirase’s journey, I stared blankly.

In the end, I thought A Place Further Than the Universe was a pretty good experience. This anime was a simple and somewhat emotional ride. But personally, I wanted something more, something that would make me remember these lovable girls for years to come. But I did not get that. I guess I will have to look beyond the universe of Sora yori mo Tooi Basho to find a CGDCG anime that nails the journey, developments, and exploration. This is how I honestly feel about A Place Further Than the Universe. Do you have something to disagree about my statements? I would like to know.
Mar 27, 2018 10:54 AM

Mar 2016
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:
however, instead of that the very first episode in Antarctica, the place that was teased so much, that looked so fun in the opening... is about how Yuzuki tries to figure out what are friends...riveting stuff.

Yeah, the writers might have thought that the journey of youth never ends and the destination doesn't matter, but I think the execution was poorly done. Yuzu's friendship contract was kind of cute in its own way, but the amount of time the show dedicated to those kinds of things cheapened them.
Mar 27, 2018 10:55 AM

Jan 2014
GOAT of 2018, of all-time too?

11/01 of course
kie_ said:
So they concluded the anime with some feminist shit...

Markdoka said:
The ones hating this anime are MOSTLY SJWs, yaoifags and Narutards. LUCKILY I'M NOT ONE OF THOSE DAMN SJWS, YAOIFAGS AND NARUTARDS bashing the show for being "too edgy" and "too un-PC".
Mar 27, 2018 11:11 AM

Jul 2015
Fantastic final episode. This is probably the best anime of this season.I really loved it.

Going to miss this gang.They got to see the Aurora too along with Penguins.

They will be life long friends and their bonds will never break.I hope they together again go for a journey.

Full 10/10 from me.

Mar 27, 2018 11:11 AM

Jul 2016
I feel like this show could've been written better and it kinda went downhill for me after they actually got on the ship, but this series was still good. The ending was heartwarming. Feels like a 7/10 but I might need some more time to sink in with this one.
I hated the final note they ended on with Megu being the arctic though. That's just dumb.
Mar 27, 2018 11:12 AM

Sep 2009
GangsterCat said:
I recommend all of you guys to watch Uchuu Kyodai, similar type of anime, miles better.

It's your personal opinion. I found Uchuu Kyoudai really bad. It's to shounenish and author knows nothing about foreign countries so it was filled with to much national steretypes.
Mar 27, 2018 11:18 AM

Oct 2010
I don't think I have the issues of @syncrogazer with the show, at least not to the same degree, but a lot of what he says hits home.

I am very, very mixed with this finale.

On the one hand it works as a basic conclusion. The girls come back, they are friends, they have a very cute moment together, all the issues are solved and it is the logical outcome. All right.

On the other... ugh, how do I explain it. The emotions in this finale, the speeches, the timing, etc. They don't feel deserved. It is the end of a journey, yes, and that makes sense in theory, but in practice it is a journey that since they got into the Antarctica has been told in episodic bits of individual drama that felt isolated from each other, and all accumulated without a proper sense of whole in a conclusion that comes after an ellipsis. I said before that the repetitive structure of episodic climax could backfire in some way but I was probably not thinking of the closure in specific. I have cried a lot with the series but when it comes to this episode I find myself not invested in:
-The time spent by the characters there.
-The ties they grew with the team.
-The Antarctica as a scenario. We heard more about that place than we saw.

So the main friendship of the four girls and the relationship between Gin and Shirase are the elements that manage to stand out in this finale. I guess in that sense the show is a success. But, you know... they went to the Antarctica and were monologuing enthusiastically about the journey, they spent time with a whole team of people who were crying in this episode when they left, there is a lot of time they've spent together and this perception is compromised if not destroyed by the ellipsis.

There is a disconnection. The characters talk about how great everything was but I haven't seen or experienced how great everything was. In a story that should be immersive and make me feel part of it, this feels instead like somebody telling it to me, and a version that is too abridged to insert myself in it.

I love this series and it got a 9/10 either way, but I have to go with a 3/5 for this finale.
Mar 27, 2018 11:23 AM
Mar 2015
Barfing is part of the journey
Mar 27, 2018 11:28 AM

Apr 2013
Anime of the year.

Mar 27, 2018 11:47 AM

Aug 2013
and the anime of the season is over.
it's been such a wonderful ride, and i'm glad that i decided to watch this show. definitely one of the better shows i've seen in a while.

i'm really going to miss it.
9/10
Mar 27, 2018 12:37 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013

That was one amazing Winter show. So much feels, so much personality among the characters and even though it took a while to really get into the expedition ride, the arctic episodes were so memorable. For me a perfect 10 was well worth it.

the last episode was fun. They played baseball, now that's a good way to end the trip, for a moment i thought they were going to play hockey.
Kimari being scared of Hinata because she's going to hurt her was hilarious, oh Hinata lol.
I thought it was a nice gesture for Shirase to leave the laptop with her mother's friend. She was able to get past that obstacle of not accepting her fate and thus she made wonderful memories in the process. I actually love her short hair, the Kimari haircut lol.
And to end the episode, Megu goes to Antarctica, damn that was honestly surprising. Like wasn't she totally against Kimari going there and saying she's wasting her time? But overall i hope there's a season 2, it was a fun ride. ~

Mar 27, 2018 12:43 PM
Jan 2018
This was a very refreshing journey. A beautiful finale and for me Art&Animation and Voice Actors are a big bonus in this. 8/10
Mar 27, 2018 12:44 PM
Aug 2014
GangsterCat said:
Megu-chan is the true solo yuru camper here, Shimarin is nothing compared to her

She can also go for the treasure while at it

Mar 27, 2018 12:49 PM

May 2015
One of the few shows I was genuinely looking forward to this winter, and I wasn't left disappointed whatsoever. By far my favourite anime this season, and an easy 10/10. I will really miss you Yorimoi.

♡ artist
サコ
Mar 27, 2018 12:51 PM
Jan 2015
A beautiful ending to beautiful series, I'm going to miss Sora Yori. 10/10
My Queens

Mar 27, 2018 12:56 PM

Apr 2015
Oh dear, how much I didn't want to see this end. However this finale was superb, it really wrapped things up and I can say I feel satisfied. This is by far my favorite anime of the season and at this rate it might be tough to beat this for Anime of the year for me. eventho it's still march.....

10/10 for me since I can't give a rating higher than that. Don't think my Tuesdays will be just as good without this masterpiece.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

311 by sailormoon92_ »»
Oct 8, 4:59 AM

» Binge or slow watch?

Crystalligator - Aug 23

18 by GoldEEr »»
Aug 28, 5:21 PM

» What's good about this ?

Bruh-__- - Nov 25, 2021

25 by Laplace_kun »»
Aug 23, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2018

214 by kirA_-_ »»
Aug 18, 7:41 AM

» How realistic is this??

Sandro8604 - May 25, 2021

12 by Tacsk0 »»
Aug 13, 1:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.