Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 13, 2012 9:57 AM
Aug 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A great episode. It's funny, it's tense, it has some nice characterization (it was nice seeing Lupin drop his cool and start seriously worrying about what was going to happen) and features some of the most fun and expressive artwork in the series.
Oct 17, 2012 3:08 AM

Jan 2012
I agree with you. It isn't often we see Lupin in such despair over beating his opponent. The last time he had this much trouble was with Piker the magician and like that time, Lupin was able to come through once again.

It was also good to see how much Jigen and Goemon cared for Lupin when then thought he had died. Another great Lupin episode!
Apr 25, 2013 4:21 AM
Apr 2008
Definitely the best Lupin III episode thus far.
May 27, 2013 9:06 PM

Aug 2007
Seeing him in a sense of urgency and completely out of his element was a new one for me, but it made for a very entertaining episode on the whole.
Jan 27, 2014 8:30 AM

May 2012
The ending of this one was hilarious. My favourite episode so far and I did feel sorry for Lupin. Hah, Fujiko, don't let Lupin get away with breaking his promise.
Jan 31, 2014 7:06 PM

Feb 2010
I didn't expect sci-fi elements in this series. And it was funny how 900 years apparently equal 10 generations in the Lupinverse xD. So they all got their kids when they were 90? ^^
I probably regret this post by now.
May 24, 2014 12:26 AM

Jul 2008
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I didn't expect sci-fi elements in this series. And it was funny how 900 years apparently equal 10 generations in the Lupinverse xD. So they all got their kids when they were 90? ^^

Well not every generation has a kid named Lupin necessarily.

Also I don't think I've ever seen a Lupin episode wher Lupin got this worried about anything. Great use of time travel here.
Jun 6, 2014 7:10 PM

Jan 2014
The time travel bit was in fact very interesting. Mamou made it overly complicated though.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 10, 2014 11:37 AM

May 2013
Scene when that guy Mamou back with Fujiko was brilliant and hilarious at the same time haha
Feb 26, 2015 5:37 AM

Nov 2011
WolfWood37 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Well not every generation has a kid named Lupin necessarily.

I was bothered by this too, but I guess that would make sense?

Then again, why would the future Lupins change their last name? Don't forget, Lupin's first name is Arsène.

That was interesting. I'm guessing this is where the Mamo movie stemmed from.

I just love seeing Lupin, Jigen, and Goemon laugh together like that! What true broship maaaaan
zetsu_shorenFeb 26, 2015 5:42 AM
Jan 17, 2016 4:17 PM

Jul 2013
Haha the time travel part was fun, gives the show a nice touch to it. Even time travel couldn't beat Lupin III, what an awesome lad.
Nov 16, 2016 3:16 PM

Jul 2012
I love the fact that in this universe, someone actually invented a working time machine, and the societal response was "meh, whatever" - up until the time traveller started messing with Lupin III, and then there were people who cared.
Mar 28, 2017 1:48 AM

Aug 2012
So over-the-top and silly yet has some of the best characterization so far in the series, and the ending was really fun. Lupin III's starting to settling into a really comfortable groove of really solid episodic adventures.
Apr 19, 2017 5:06 AM

Apr 2009
The retcon of Goemon's and Lupin's relationship, scifi elements, a further increase of comedic elements - this episodes marks a milestone in the transition from the originally conceptualized Lupin to the franchise that we all know and love today. I assume this is where the future Ghibli staff members got more control over the production.

Also, the three guys laughing at the end is probably one of the most famous Lupin scenes.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jan 26, 2018 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
Lol another great episode. This has to be my favorite episode silly time-travel and didn't expect this serious fictional element in one of Lupin episode. I liked how one of villain finally manage to make Lupin serious and drop his ideal.

Feb 13, 2018 6:48 AM

Jul 2016
Lupin is one sneaky genius bastard! I love this guy.
Great episode with over-the-top sci-fi elements.
The last scene was hilarious and just proves how much of a genius Lupin can be when he actually tries.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Jan 21, 2019 9:38 AM

Mar 2014
This is my favorite episode so far! It was an interesting idea for an episode and I liked how it ended, perfect!
Mar 5, 2019 3:05 AM

Oct 2012
Haha I love how Lupin, Jigen, and Goemon all laughed together
BFFs goal <3

I guess Fujiko just want someone to truly love her xD
"Signature removed"
Apr 22, 2019 1:23 PM

Sep 2011
An enemy who can travel through time and erase your existence just like that is certainly fearsome. No wonder Lupin lost his nerve at first. But even though time travel can be complicated and raise questions, it was a nice episode. I like how Fujiko was up to marrying Lupin after he said that he really loved her, and I loved to see Jigen and Goemon mourning Lupin when they thought he was gone. xD
Jul 26, 2019 2:27 AM
Mar 2018
This may be my top favorite episode of Green Jacket so far! So much fun!
It’s not worth thinking about the time traveling elements because like everyone said, it’s overly complicated and doesn’t make much sense.
But, the comedic antics and seeing Lupin in an actual state of fear and worry for his life was interesting to watch.

This episode also gave us one of the most famous moments in the ENTIRE franchise: Lupin, Jigen, and Goemon all together laughing it up after their plan. True bros for life! <3
Aug 19, 2019 8:32 AM

Jan 2014
Damn and here I thought this time traveler gimmick was just a trick as some form of revenge on Lupin but turns out it was real XD

Yeah seeing Lupin deal with the fact that this is one opponent he might not be able to defeat really brought a more dire tone to the whole situation and seeing Lupin go through the stages of coping with this harsh outcome was just fantastic!

Lupin wanting to tie the knot with Fujiko was actually rather sweet ^-^ and I agree Fujiko make sure Lupin keeps his promise and takes responsibility XD

That coupled with Jigen and Goemon reacting to Lupin's vanishing and how they all teamed up to bust up that time machine and then shared in such a hearty laugh of brotherhood! Absolutely fantastic one of the best episodes :D

Nov 30, 2019 8:45 PM

Feb 2017
He did a lot of favours for someone he's trying to kill I mean eliminate from the time continuum.
Dec 3, 2019 2:18 PM

Jun 2015
I felt bad for Lupin there, but in the end he was saved. I wonder if that bit about Milene Lupin had some truth in it or was all made out.
I'm also thinking not every generation had a Lupin in it, but to think Lupin actually got married in the future was wholesome.
Oct 21, 2021 5:31 AM
Apr 2015
Switch_Z said:
I felt bad for Lupin there, but in the end he was saved. I wonder if that bit about Milene Lupin had some truth in it or was all made out.
I'm also thinking not every generation had a Lupin in it, but to think Lupin actually got married in the future was wholesome.

Yes. Does it mean that Arsène Lupin, the hero of Maurice Leblanc's stories, is actually a quarter Japanese?
Oct 24, 2021 10:44 PM

May 2019
This episode really had everything. It got quite dark and serious there for Lupin. Quite a pivot from the others so far.
Nov 19, 2021 3:02 PM
Nov 2021
My favorite episode so far, which seems to be a popular opinion here. I love when Lupin outsmarts his enemies and they're like :o nooo lupin how could uuu and Lupin's like "dont kill me next time"
Nov 28, 2021 6:01 AM

Sep 2018
Another epic episode entered the imagination of the spectators: Lupine who faces an almost invincible enemy like Mamou, managing to find such a brilliant stratagem, as not to forget the scene in which Lupine vanishes in front of Jigen and Goemon. The message that must be read between the lines of the events narrated is that of never giving up, we must fight to the end. In the end, however, Lupine regrets having defeated Mamou, because he awaits a worse fate, eheheheheh !!!
Jun 28, 2022 8:29 AM

Mar 2020
Great episode. For most of it it was a pretty serious episode where Lupin was legitimately scared for his life and then it ended with such a funny anti-climax

Oct 18, 2022 9:25 PM

Dec 2021
WTF?! The last few episodes were hit-or-miss, then suddenly they make this god-tier episode? Man. This episode stands far above the previous episodes. 10/10
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
May 5, 2023 9:06 AM
Dec 2013
A bit weird that Lupin has two evil scientist nemesis obsessed with long-term planning named Mamou (魔毛)  and Mamo (マモー), I got confused for a moment.
Nov 21, 2023 9:05 AM

Aug 2021
What a weird episode.
Feb 24, 6:16 PM
Jan 2021
Rather disappointed the twist was that the time travel ended up being real. I was wondering what the real trick behind it was but there was no trick, it was genuine. Did not expect sci-fi elements in a series that seemed grounded in reality. So what's next, actual ghosts and aliens? Not sure I like that implication. I guess ultimately it was no more silly than the episode where he rotted a year of his life away in prison out of spite.

Also he killed the guy who built the castle (and presumably the horse's ancestor too), but he merely "hid" Fujiko? I'd have preferred the inverse in all actuality...
Aug 29, 8:38 PM

Jan 2022
I've seen the movie, so I knew this episode was coming.
I didn't really have any expectations, but I was disappointed.
Ignoring the time-travel discrepancy, as well as the non-sense that surrounds it.
as the guy above said, "he killed the guy who built the castle (and others) but merely hid Fujiko".
But also, Mamou said the world was in danger, then decides to kill Lupin since Lupin the 13th killed his descendant. So, is the world really in danger? Especially, why is the conflict revolving around Lupin the 3rd? Wouldn't it make more sense to revolve around either the 13th or the original? And if it's not the 13th, why try to torture them the way he's been doing it?
Then, for the finale. What's the use in doing what Lupin did? Couldn't he have done pretty much the same thing without tricking him like that? He did get Mamou to exit the time travel machine and walk into the church mere moments earlier, not like he could have gotten to his machine before Lupin shot him, Jigen shot him or Goemon sliced him or his machine up. Especially in this version of Lupin, where they actually kill people sometimes.
All in all, I didn't dislike the episode premise, nor did I dislike the events themselves, but I can't get over how dumb it is.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 23 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 18, 2010

37 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 5, 7:39 AM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 20 Discussion

Fronzel - Sep 4, 2012

15 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 5, 5:56 AM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 16 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 4, 2010

17 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 4, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 15 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Apr 22, 2012

27 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 4, 6:14 PM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 14 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 2, 2010

41 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 4, 5:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.