Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 18, 2016 10:25 AM

Sep 2013
"You don’t need a knife to sever the carotid artery. Fingernails are enough."

I will try that when someone picks a fight with me :)

Germans with their fancy encryption got btfo by the British XD

May 18, 2016 2:11 PM

Aug 2013
Pomorze, huh? Nice :)
Dub = fake crap. Always.
May 18, 2016 6:28 PM

Mar 2013
"Logically speaking, any form of man-made encryption can be broken"

Well, yea, you can "break" any form of encryption by just popping some kneecaps, but that's not the same as a cryptographic break. Like, if you intercept a decoded message, that's not breaking encryption, that's bypassing it.

Ironically a decoded message isn't by itself enough to break the enigma machine since it's not a simple substitution cipher.

Anyway, on the off chance that anybody was curious:

May 19, 2016 1:06 AM

Mar 2015
I thought this episode was pretty stupid. The English agent first talked with a stranger who he just met (Utsumi) about his field of work even though he's supposed to be on a top secret mission. Then he went on to suspect Utsumi to be Cerberus and actually decided for no reason to drink a drink that was next to him. What the hell?

The lady found out that the death of her husband was English guy's fault by, of course, overhearing a conversation that shouldn't have even taken place there if these people had any shred of intelligence. Overused. Apparently the lady is a skilled assassin since he managed to poison that drink and be 100% sure he was going to be so stupid to drink it.

Also, judging by the funeral scene, the English agent and the lady are acquaintances. So why the hell did she think it was a good idea to scream at the dog while being in his vicinity? She didn't get any plastic surgery, she had the same look as always. Why is even the picture under the dog's collar? What the hell?

Meh. I had bigger expectations for this after first few episodes. But lately, it's been going an average route.
May 19, 2016 7:08 AM

Dec 2015
I won't lie, I hated this episode, hated the story, a mother wouldn't do that...
May 19, 2016 11:09 AM

May 2016
Amari's got mad skills of calling those dolphins and that dog, did he learn these things on spy training too? And it would be so cute if he brought Emma back with him to the Agency and the other spies would fawn over her like overprotective mothers (which is not gonna happen of course) ^0^ The enigma machine got me intrigued too~
May 19, 2016 11:43 AM
Jul 2018
Not a bad episode, but the really bad sounding gunshot in the first scene was pretty distracting.
May 19, 2016 7:32 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
This was the worst episode so far......just too unbelievable to be covered by the Anime Leap of Faith rule.

1. A mother would let a complete stranger pick up her child and carry her to the railing of an ocean ship?

2. The careful plastic surgery spy couldn't notice the woman whose husband he caused the death of even though he knew her?

3. The above Wonder Mother Spy would just turn her kid over to some other spy at the end (let alone turn the dog over to him also....and we all love our dogs) and turn herself over to the Authorities?

4. Mr Japanese Super Spy is going to encumber himself and agency with the welfare of a kid and dog? What happened to becoming a shadow in the dark/undetectable spy like you learn in First Grade Spy School?

6/10 and that is because the animation and coloring was nicely done.
May 19, 2016 7:47 PM

Nov 2015
Poor child living with no father or mother.

May 20, 2016 4:28 AM

Dec 2012
OH yeah ! Next episode is an arc !
This was a pretty good episode. The crossword puzzle used as bait was smart
May 20, 2016 3:24 PM
Aug 2013
Was a pleasant episode :)

Btw, I wanting to ask you, the more I listen the opening the more I found a resemblance to another OP.
I don't reminder anything (neither title or lyrics) if it is not (phonetically and same rythm than at 0:32-0:36 in the OP) na-na na te li she lin ta

Does you have any idea ?
May 20, 2016 8:47 PM

Jul 2014
I want to learn to summon dolphins too ;_;
May 21, 2016 12:02 AM
Mar 2016
I somehow feel that the plot is getting more and more convoluted. The synopsis mentioned something called that black papers (or something akin) but half the season had passed and not a mention of them. Similarly, all the episodes seem to only have the soy feeling tying then together, so no arc like situation is created and the total story feels more like a collection of mini stories than an anime with a theme.
May 21, 2016 6:19 AM

Jan 2015
ibraheem234 said:
This episode was kinda sad for me though... He could've let her go but maybe that wasn't an option
Still I don't think he will adopt the child though

It was heavily implied that he will.

He said something like this at the end: "Me, a kid and a dog? Well, I guess things will work out"
May 21, 2016 6:54 AM

Dec 2010
Great episode, probably my favorite along with episode 5. Amari's goodheartedness really caught me off-guard.
May 22, 2016 2:22 PM
Apr 2014
ibraheem234 said:
This episode was kinda sad for me though... He could've let her go but maybe that wasn't an option

I was thinking about that, too, but considering how he got into that situation there wasn't really any other way. He promised the English people to explain the death of that guy. If he just came back without an explanation it would have been pretty awkward. As much as I had liked it there was no other way to resolve this without risking his own life/cover.
May 22, 2016 3:20 PM
Feb 2016
I like each episode individually, but I have several problems with the show. The first is that, even if it is episodic, I got the impression from the first two episodes that the same cast of characters would be reappearing, and so far it's been one character per episode, and I'm having a hard time caring about them, not least because they are working for a fascist government. The second problem is that the show doesn't really have anything linking the episodes together, and the stakes for each episode aren't high enough to make it very interesting. I get that it's before the war, but so far basically none of the actions of any of the characters have had any real impact on the global situation, or even put them in a place where they could discover anything important. The reason that this setting is interesting is because we get to see the signs of war brewing, and that's exciting, but so far none of the characters we've met have really encountered anything that has ver much to do with the war itself. Also, since they are working for a fascist government, even if they personally have a moral code not to kill, I still kind of think of them as the bad guys, or at best not good guys, since they never seem to consider the fact that their country is actually the one doing bad things or allying themselves with evil people. I'm not saying that that makes them bad people, just that it makes their stories far less interesting
May 22, 2016 8:09 PM

Dec 2012
Damn I wish I could summon dolphins with a whistle that was so cool :D
May 23, 2016 12:47 AM

May 2016
By i kept thinking that maybe Amari was actually Emma's father? Have you guys think about that possibility? Becuz.. from when i saw emma's mother expression when she handed emma over to amari she was like.. well ya know like she just know that her husband was not actually die
May 23, 2016 2:40 AM

Jan 2016
One of my favorite episodes in this anime until now, this episode and the two first episodes were great and had the highest tension overall
May 23, 2016 6:58 AM
Dec 2012
So why the women turned herself in????????
May 23, 2016 3:23 PM

Jun 2012
IMTLD said:
So why the women turned herself in????????

I recommend you (and anyone in general who doesn't understand the ep) to read this:

http://sekinosemimaru.tumblr.com/post/144670884793/chief-researcher-shirato-seiichis-column-ep-7

- I only draw freestyle! -
May 23, 2016 10:01 PM
Jul 2018
That last scene was sad :(
May 24, 2016 4:21 PM

Apr 2007
The spy looks so much like the dead husband it's not even funny :v

Overall another entertaining episode.
May 25, 2016 4:47 AM

Oct 2014
"I know this guys my enemy sent to kill me, so lemme drink this glass conveniently right next to where he was sitting just to show off". seriously? This was the most ridiculous thing to happen in this show, no real person would be that stupid.
AmuroGrayMay 26, 2016 6:09 PM
"My name is Yoshikage Kira. I'm 33 years old. My house is in the northeast section of Morioh, where the villas are, and i am not married. I work as an employee for the Kame Yu department stores, and i get home every day by 8 PM at the latest. I don't smoke, but i occasionally drink. I'm in bed by 11 PM, and make sure I get 8 hours of sleep, no matter what. After having a glass of warm milk and doing about twenty minutes of stretches before going to bed, I usually have no problems sleeping until morning. Just like a baby, I wake up without any fatigue or stress in the morning. I was told there were no issues at my last checkup."
May 25, 2016 10:46 AM

Jul 2009
So in the end he will keep the kid and the dog? I felt sorry of the woman, they will kill her for sure...
May 27, 2016 7:55 PM
Nov 2015
One of the heartwarming episodes is this one. I was really excited to see Amari for the second time. I thick that he will be one of my anime crushes in this series. (Move over, Tazaki and Kaminaga) and also might be a new favorite character besides Kaminaga and Miyoshi. He looks and acts pleasant, which I love. I loved how he uses the crossword puzzle as a bait for Louis St. Cloud and the thought of revenge in these types of spy-related films/series should definitely be evident. This episode appeared to be a basic one, yet I enjoyed it as much as the normal episodes. I'm still looking forward for the future "intense" episodes. Good job, JG!
May 28, 2016 8:24 PM

Jan 2013
Another great episode.
I can't believe that this woman was a spy, it's truth that the spy is the one that you would never expect to be a spy, like this woman with her kid.
I'm very impressed with this anime, i've never seen any spy related anime but i am loving this anime even thought that every new episode is a new plot. It's still very impressive.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

May 31, 2016 6:35 AM

Nov 2011
In this episode, I have not seen a "similarity" with the fictional story, but mostly with the real story, then who knows! The time flew by in a flash, I wanted it to last more, seen as going well storytelling. They went immediately in tune with the atmosphere that reigned during the story, really sad the ending. Excellent work of the IG.
Jun 1, 2016 1:23 PM

Dec 2015
Still relatively nice, but the story suffers from being treated in 20minutes (wonder what is the actual length of each short storyl in the book). I would like the episodes to be 40min long, even if I don't think it would have save this one from some bizarre things it had.

@Galaxy__ @Lelouch0202 @Shaheen- This series is only adapting the first of four books. And the first two volumes are known to be anthologies. The episodic format of the anime will stay because of this. They can't create a red line between all the short stories if there is none in the original.

http://www.booksfromjapan.jp/publications/item/239-joker-game
Rei_IIIJun 1, 2016 1:31 PM
Jun 1, 2016 2:52 PM

Jul 2015
Rei366 said:

@Galaxy__ - This series is only adapting the first of four books. And the first two volumes are known to be anthologies. The episodic format of the anime will stay because of this. They can't create a red line between all the short stories if there is none in the original.

so it will stay like this for the entire series and the sequel which might come ?
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Jun 1, 2016 3:18 PM

Dec 2015
@Galaxy__ Well, you drew the conclusion yourself. ^^
The last short story might contain a kind of overall conclusion (to wrap up the book) but I can't assure it since I didn't find any western language translation of the novel.

As for the possible sequel, that depends of course of what they decide to adapt. If they take the second book, it is indeed another anthology (who serves as a sequel to Joker Game, as wrote on the synopsis website). If they animate the third or fourth novel, I can't say: I found nothing except their titles on the Internet.

I tend to repeat those informations to prevent false expectations.
Jun 1, 2016 9:45 PM

Nov 2015
Rei366 said:
Still relatively nice, but the story suffers from being treated in 20minutes (wonder what is the actual length of each short storyl in the book). I would like the episodes to be 40min long, even if I don't think it would have save this one from some bizarre things it had.

@Galaxy__ @Lelouch0202 @Shaheen- This series is only adapting the first of four books. And the first two volumes are known to be anthologies. The episodic format of the anime will stay because of this. They can't create a red line between all the short stories if there is none in the original.

http://www.booksfromjapan.jp/publications/item/239-joker-game

Great. I love anthologies and so the episodic format. I think they're taking the anime in the right direction. I'm in no hurries to see the conclusion; if they can give us an episodic anime which is consistently of high quality, then that eliminates the need for a hasty conclusion. I'd rather see a grand conclusion coalescing at the end of season 5 than see a hasty one at the end of the 2nd season.
Jun 4, 2016 6:07 PM
Dec 2009
Bobby2Hands said:
Jacob Chapman from The Anime News Network had the best tweet about this episode.

OMG, this. At first I thought he was calling the dog. Then... dolphins.

These episodic episodes kind of remind me of a more mature Detective Conan. Fairly forgettable but interesting as you watch them :)
Jun 15, 2016 5:16 AM

Jun 2016
I feel bad for the girl :(
Jun 21, 2016 4:50 PM

Dec 2012
The girl is probably gonna die lol.
Jun 24, 2016 12:17 AM
Jun 2016
I don't get it.. Why does the woman cry when he winked at her???? And Frate the dog recorgnized him? Is he her husband who's been told dead? PLZ HALP
Jun 24, 2016 5:58 PM

Feb 2013
At first I was thinking: how did this woman track down a spy for her revenge?
But ahh, she became a spy for Germany who wanted the guy dead. That explained it.
Jul 1, 2016 6:31 PM

Mar 2015
Yeah I appreciated this episode for showing the 'human' side of these spies; you'd think that with all the training they've been through they've steeled themselves against the world but it's nice to see they still genuine heart for the weak and innocent.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 30, 2016 10:12 AM

Jul 2014
So he adopts the kid + dog? :o
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Aug 1, 2016 2:30 PM
Dec 2014
eh.. that was terrible.

can't believe people liked it so much.. whole story was so bad.

will give it another chance but god please, no more WW cliches
Aug 3, 2016 2:03 PM

May 2012
Another quite solid episode! Let's find out what happens next!
Aug 7, 2016 9:59 AM

Jun 2009
I'm not particularly enjoying the episodic format of this show. If it was at least a cast of recurring characters I could grow fond of over time it wouldn't be so bad. But this way I basically end each episode with the thought "Yeah okay, I don't really care".
grandy_UiDAug 7, 2016 11:22 AM
Aug 29, 2016 6:03 AM

Feb 2013
That was sad, she avenged her husband but she was taken away.
May 24, 2017 12:51 AM

Dec 2012
Dolphin whisperer.
Oh snap! The Prof got moves.
LMAO Got'em.
So she is Cerberus.
Dog whisperer.
Taking care of a kid and dog now, eh?
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Aug 27, 2019 4:34 AM

Jul 2016
viruse said:
I won't lie, I hated this episode, hated the story, a mother wouldn't do that...

and then he just adopts her and the dog? what the fuckl?
Apr 30, 2021 9:36 AM

Oct 2019
Yet another episode with basically the same structure and the same flaws :

1. The D-agency spy who looks almost exactly the same as all the other spies and we need to infer who he is by his voice actor.

2. The Japanese spy, as always, is almost omniscient and omnipotent. He is way, way ahead of his enemies, he can see through even heavy plastic surgery as if it is transparent glass, he is lucky enough to have another assassin murder a British spy (coincidentally the only one who knew that he was a Japanese spy) right when the British Navy showed up, he can sever carotid arteries with just his fingernails and ... to cut a long story short, he is basically an invincible superhuman, just like all the other D-agency spies.

3. Just like all the other episodes so far (except the very first one) the D-agency spy of the episode is so implausibly OP (on every level, from mental to intellectual to physical) that there is no tension, no suspense, no thrill, no chance at all of wondering whether he might not succeed in the end. In other words exactly how espionage stories should not be written..

4. The show simultaneously takes itself too seriously and is riddled with ridiculous (in the sense of utterly implausible) plot bits. It needs to decide what it wants to be, but I doubt it ever will. Which is quite frankly a shame. What a wasted potential..

5. Last but not least : in this episode we learnt that plastic surgery can reconstruct the entire face of someone but cannot be used to change his ears. At that point I frankly laughed, since I know all too well that plastic surgery is employed on the ears more than any part of someone's face (maybe competing with nose jobs). And yet a major part of the plot of the episode hanged on that false fact, which can be verified that it's bollocks with a mere web search..

6. I could go on just about this episode.. Why on Earth did that mother trust our spy (twice) with her kid? That made no sense at all. Why did the British spy not notice the mother when she was screaming her lungs out calling her dog a few feet away from him? Why did she place that photo inside the freaking collar of the dog? How did the mother assassin know that the British spy was going to take that poisoned drink?
Even the poison choice made no sense to take out a seasoned British spy; cyanide smells, strongly, of bitter almonds. No spy worth his salt would be fooled by it, since they are trained to detect and avoid it. In short this was the weakest episode yet.
SharpedonApr 30, 2021 9:50 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2016

155 by yveltalkyogre »»
Sep 25, 6:09 PM

» novel license

theek1 - Jul 12, 2022

1 by NemuriNezumi »»
Jan 14, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2016

347 by Samir1237 »»
Apr 22, 2023 7:21 PM

» Why such low score ?

Shomix - May 21, 2016

22 by ina6_- »»
Jul 9, 2022 8:13 AM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2016

207 by metawin »»
Aug 6, 2021 9:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.