Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 15, 2016 5:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp that escalated.

I kinda felt bad for the kid getting caught up into a near tragedy. On another note, the episode still was a bit confusing with the divine powers. Action was generic but okay. I want to see more about how their world develops with these recent events. There's also short glimpses of Aoto's past. I'm glad to see that kid safely unite with his Father though. Not sure why but this guy gives me the creeps:
Jan 15, 2016 7:07 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Pretty nice episode this week with more focus on our main trio

Akane's ideals are driven by his desire to find out the truth about his deceased father whom he looked up to and was a genius whereas Aoto is his complete opposite....I find the parallels between them to be quite interesting to say the least

Aoto's past was something that didn't surprise me but at the same time I didn't expect to be revealed so soon....I'm very curious as to what happened to his little brother and what he's doing currently even more now after seeing the truth behind their parents death and I really want to see the brothers face off

We got to see Loki and as usual in every medium that this character is in, he's up to no good lol and the same happened in this episode with the security bot....The whole thing with the poor kid and his dad + this whole look into the poverty side of their society was pretty realistic in regards to the real world yet kinda sad, and seeing that clash of ideals that Akane had with it all was done okay imo

My only complaint about this episode however is the action scenes....I'm not a hater of CGI (Which is something that is very popular today for some odd reason) but the CGI during the action scenes felt so damn jarring....Like what happened to the regular animation Pierrot? I really hope that the actions scenes won't all be like this because there's no excuse for why these scenes couldn't have been hand drawn.....They would looked AMAZING like they do in the OP if they were, like wtf Pierrot?

Anyway, it was a good episode, the team is formed and we got some backstory and decent characterizations for our main trio so now the plot should move forward a lot more from here since they have the key to find the gate as well
TokoyaJan 15, 2016 7:20 AM
Jan 15, 2016 7:15 AM

Jan 2012
That poor kid and his father. :( So Aoto's brother was the true psycho...eh. Well seems like we have 2 of the 3 emotional baggage backstories for our MCs out of the way. Number 3 should be next.
Jan 15, 2016 7:15 AM
Apr 2014
I don't too much like the red headed MC. :/
Jan 15, 2016 7:36 AM

Feb 2014
Oh boy the fights are CGI... well it doesn't look bad enough for me to drop this.
Jan 15, 2016 8:11 AM

Aug 2008
It sure got unwatchable quickly. "Creepy" runt with Rie's voice, horrible CGI fights, emo poems, bland characters and nothing to make me give a damn about where it goes from here on. Moving on.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 15, 2016 8:15 AM
Nov 2015
Antanaru said:
It sure got unwatchable quickly. "Creepy" runt with Rie's voice, horrible CGI fights, emo poems, bland characters and nothing to make me give a damn about where it goes from here on. Moving on.

yup same opinion here. first episode was promising somewhat but this one made me loose interest quick ... if i had to summarize it with one word it would be ... "lame" i guess

not liking the daddy issues as a maintheme for everyone either ~~
Jan 15, 2016 8:29 AM

Jul 2015
Still a bit complicated here and there, but nice overall. Moving scene with the child and father there, very well done.

Jan 15, 2016 8:38 AM

Dec 2014
What is the point in having that kid there constantly go on about how Aoto is the "woe is me" character? So far, I feel like the anime is just trying to sound deep and emotional but they're forcing it to the point of where it's annoying.

The dialogue became a bit annoying, mainly the child. Not liking the emo feels either. Now, I've forgotten the name of the red-haired character, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the "why didn't you go save your child" thing somewhere before.

The anime looked really cool, and the opening is great so I'll watch episode 3 with hopes that they calm down with the depressing (that don't feel depressing at all) dialogue.
DazardzJan 15, 2016 9:01 AM
Jan 15, 2016 8:39 AM

Oct 2015
It's sad that Aoto's parents assumed it was him attacking them when it was his big brother. On the other hand, it's great that now Aoto found a connection with his allies despite their different ideals.

The higher ups are definitely very sketchy and I didn't expect the divine gate to be revealed to the characters so early; surely a trap awaits them sooner or later.
Jan 15, 2016 8:43 AM

Aug 2013
Yeah, first drop of this season. In this show everything sucks imo (art and animation the most).
rsc-plJan 15, 2016 9:01 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 15, 2016 8:45 AM

Feb 2014
I don't really like the drama. But I will continue to watch because I haven't see the other three characters yet.
Jan 15, 2016 8:46 AM

Jan 2015
Damn I hate that white ghost boy. He's too postive.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jan 15, 2016 8:47 AM

Nov 2012
CGI fights...still not enough reason for me to drop just yet.

Aoto's brother murdering his parents reminded me of Sasuke and Itachi.

Meh,not holding my interest at all.
Jan 15, 2016 9:36 AM

Jun 2014
The only scene of the episode that I actually kind of liked was the emotional scene with that kid and his father. That was quite the reveal about the murder of Aoto's parents as well.

So they're giving us CGI fights? It didn't look too terrible, and the CGI actually made the action scenes feel like they were taken straight out of a video game (makes sense since this is based off of one).

This anime still hasn't done much to impress me yet. I'm not really expecting it to anyway since I had low expectations for it since it was first announced.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jan 15, 2016 9:57 AM

Jan 2012
That fire user is very irritating... kind of character who just see everything in black and white ><

Those poetic monologue are actually pretty weird... too much...

Anyway wonder why the lil bro did that... tired of their praise and expectations?
Jan 15, 2016 10:02 AM

Jun 2014
Not too bad...

I'd be lying if I said the narration wasn't getting annoying tbh. For the first episode it's okay, but I really hope it goes away a bit once more action comes along.

Anyway, I still think this series has potential, but I hope the pace will pick up next week.

I did like the flashback a lot though. So it was his little brother who killed their parents? Dang...I figured Aoto didn't actually kill them, but I didn't think it was the brother.

A couple new characters this week. Loki is such a benevolent guy *heavy sarcasm* Also, hello Takahiro Sakurai :D

By the way: "Everyone actually has a kind heart" No, no, not really...
KageNoAbisuJan 15, 2016 10:07 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2016 10:35 AM

Apr 2014
They're trying to make the dialogues unnecessarily deep and the scene with the father trying to save his child was poorly done. The father can barely walk and Akane is telling him to save the kid? lol anyways I'm more interested in the rest of the characters they have yet to introduce.

The transition to cgi during the fight scenes was jarring as fuck but at least it didn't look like it was running at 10 fps.
Jan 15, 2016 11:03 AM

Mar 2010
Saiborg said:
It's sad that Aoto's parents assumed it was him attacking them when it was his big brother. On the other hand, it's great that now Aoto found a connection with his allies despite their different ideals.

The higher ups are definitely very sketchy and I didn't expect the divine gate to be revealed to the characters so early; surely a trap awaits them sooner or later.

Same, it's also interesting that none MCs care about the gate itself, but rather the people they lost to it.

Z4k said:
They're trying to make the dialogues unnecessarily deep and the scene with the father trying to save his child was poorly done. The father can barely walk and Akane is telling him to save the kid? lol anyways I'm more interested in the rest of the characters they have yet to introduce.

The transition to cgi during the fight scenes was jarring as fuck but at least it didn't look like it was running at 10 fps.

The only point where the so called deep conversations happens whenever that mysterious kid entity appears and he clearly not human. So he's not gonna talk some average guy off the streets, manipulative characters are common in stories so I don't why some people butthurt about it.

I don't see anything poorly done about the Father and child at least not for that reason. Akane expected like most parents would put their lives to save child regardless of their situation. There is nothing wrong with thinking that.
Jan 15, 2016 11:10 AM

Dec 2014
The episode seems to contrast the mentality of Aoto and Akane.

It was a pretty an average episode, I think the drama felt a bit forced in order to clearly state the differences between Aoto and Akane.

The CGI transition felt wierd in the beginning but I don't mind it too much.
Jan 15, 2016 11:11 AM

Jul 2011
Not sure what people really have against the artstyle, and the cgi didn't really look bad either. I still feel ok about this show, but hopefully it gets more interesting.

KageNoAbisu said:
By the way: "Everyone actually has a kind heart" No, no, not really...

I think by this she meant that everyone is born pure, but their experiences shape them into different people.
Jan 15, 2016 11:13 AM

Aug 2014
So Aoto's brother is the real parent killer? Quite interesting.
Jan 15, 2016 11:21 AM

Jan 2014
Well, that was pretty bland. The emo poems got annoying real fast. Red-head boy is pretty much another Shounen MC clone. And once again, Aoto once again shows us how he's less a person and more a walking "Cut for me" tumblr post. However, I am a bit interested in this Divine Gate, Midori's past and the rest of the setting.

But that's not really enough.

God dammit. Why do all the crappy shows have god-tier openings...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2016 11:42 AM

Jan 2015
once a char named loki is introduced it is almost 100% guaranteed he's gonna be a shit disturber
akane is quite annoying, like someone else said, he's see things black and white. how could he not see that the father was using a cane/walker...
the little white haired boy is way too angst/emo to the point where it is excessive.
half of me kind of rathered aoto be the murderer instead of the little brother but idk
so it was cgi during the fights, i could tell something was off but it wasnt too bad though.
im interested in the green-haired girl's story next week. i hope the last 3 chars will also get a bit of background plot/insight too
guess ill stick around for a few more eps
Jan 15, 2016 11:53 AM

Aug 2013
GreySilence said:
Not sure what people really have against the artstyle, and the cgi didn't really look bad either.

Anime from '70 looks better than this. This show looks as bad as it could. I can't say anything good about art, this could be my definition of extremely bad looking anime. Dimensions, awful CG, backgrounds, proportions, just everything is total failure.
I don't know, people, don't you have any sense of art in general? How could you say that it's looking good.
rsc-plJan 15, 2016 11:57 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 15, 2016 11:56 AM
Jul 2018
Aoto's little brother was the one who killed the parents!
Jan 15, 2016 11:57 AM

Apr 2014
Loki the evil god struck once again.
So all of them have a dark past...and wanting to enter the gate.
So next episode and the coming episode will take place inside the gate?
Jan 15, 2016 11:59 AM

Mar 2010
MagicalMahou said:
Well, that was pretty bland. The emo poems got annoying real fast. Red-head boy is pretty much another Shounen MC clone. And once again, Aoto once again shows us how he's less a person and more a walking "Cut for me" tumblr post. However, I am a bit interested in this Divine Gate, Midori's past and the rest of the setting.

But that's not really enough.

God dammit. Why do all the crappy shows have god-tier openings...

Okay anyone who suffering from trauma who isn't a ray of sunshine is totally a tumblr poster. Nevermind he that saved two people in two episodes and feeds starving children and cats and lastly doesn't go around bothering people with his problems. Soooo emo and edgy.

Nobody really knows how to us these words at all anymore.
Jan 15, 2016 12:13 PM

Aug 2015
Best part about this anime is the opening.

Not a fan of any of the character so far, rather uninterested in the story also. Art is pretty average but I'm not liking the CGI fight scenes. Just praying they arnt all like that..
Jan 15, 2016 12:24 PM

Jan 2008
Was I the only one going "shut up, Akane" the entire episode? lol, what a brat.

I pretty much guessed last episode that the younger brother killed Aoto's parents. He seemed so shady.
Jan 15, 2016 12:59 PM

Jan 2008
hmm...I don't buy it. How can the parents not recognize their own favorite son, in a sweater vest and shorter hair, intentionally neglecting and shunning their much more dirtier rag-wearing longer-haired older son that lives in the shed? It's not like they were twins or anything. I know it was dark, but they had to have either been blind to not see that, or they really are just that stupid. That being said, it doesn't look like the last time we'll see the murderer younger brother.
Jan 15, 2016 1:02 PM

Sep 2011
This show is meh in everything cg fight was just ??? when ep 1 had regular animation for the action I think. Not dropped yet but its on the bubble.
Jan 15, 2016 1:05 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Better than the first episode, but still meh. Those CGI fights are terrible. Still couldn't care less about the characters.

3/5
Jan 15, 2016 1:14 PM

Oct 2012
CGI fights were awful...but then again so was the rest of the episode. Red haired guy took a turn being the angsty character at times..not quite drop tier yet but i'll let the next couple episodes decide that for me
Jan 15, 2016 1:15 PM

Mar 2013
Akane is such a judgemental asshole lmao. Having a go at a guy for feeding strays and a hungry beggar kid is one thing, harrassing a disabled guy with PTSD for not running into a fire when there's a bunch of cops with super powers next to him that are doing fuck all is another. Goddamn, step off.
Jan 15, 2016 1:25 PM

Jul 2015
Ehh. Akane seems like Eren when it comes to whatever he hates lol. He's very one sided on everything and Aoto seems to be very contradictory of every thing he says. CGI is to be expected considering it's convenience lol but Damm that CGI was pretty fucking bad tbh. And lol at the part where Akane is yelling at the dad (who clearly can't even walk all that well) to run in and save the kid when they have Aoto with water powers and they are hired for this kind of shit anyway xD
ReguIusJan 15, 2016 1:30 PM
Jan 15, 2016 1:32 PM

Sep 2015
Why didn't the two save the kid themselves since they apparently have the power to do so? Instead Red guy is screaming at Daddy accusing him this and that when it's clear he'd get roasted before reaching his son? Never mind the fact that he's crippled?

I never noticed Red's earring before O.o
Jan 15, 2016 1:39 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The fuckin characters are shit and annoying so far.
The dialogues between that little kid and Aoto are fuckin boring and too much try hard, Akane is annoying af + hes a fuckin dick this episode and naming someone Santa Clause, wtf ?
Plus fuckin FUnimation translate for a moment something the green girl said with hashtags ... wut ?
DatRandomDudeJan 15, 2016 1:58 PM
Jan 15, 2016 1:50 PM

Mar 2014
rsc-pl said:
GreySilence said:
Not sure what people really have against the artstyle, and the cgi didn't really look bad either.

Anime from '70 looks better than this. This show looks as bad as it could. I can't say anything good about art, this could be my definition of extremely bad looking anime. Dimensions, awful CG, backgrounds, proportions, just everything is total failure.
I don't know, people, don't you have any sense of art in general? How could you say that it's looking good.

My main reason for liking this series is its art so to each their own I guess. The biggest problem this episode was the fight scene though.
Jan 15, 2016 1:53 PM

Mar 2010
Wrsty said:
Ehh. Akane seems like Eren when it comes to whatever he hates lol. He's very one sided on everything and Aoto seems to be very contradictory of every thing he says. CGI is to be expected considering it's convenience lol but Damm that CGI was pretty fucking bad tbh. And lol at the part where Akane is yelling at the dad (who clearly can't even walk all that well) to run in and save the kid when they have Aoto with water powers and they are hired for this kind of shit anyway xD

I've seen so much worse CGI elsewhere honestly. I don't Aoto contradictory, he's never protray as someone wasn't a "nice kid" he's just been hurt a lot by people he was close so he's kept distance from others. He's only starting to open up thanks to Akane motivating him to help the kid.

Ioryogi-kun said:
Why didn't the two save the kid themselves since they apparently have the power to do so? Instead Red guy is screaming at Daddy accusing him this and that when it's clear he'd get roasted before reaching his son? Never mind the fact that he's crippled?

I never noticed Red's earring before O.o

I'm sure Akane knew the guy was crippled. The point is that Akane was judging the situation from how his father would have reacted which would have been to save him no matter what. He can't imagine that parent would given into fear over they kid's own life. It would be like own dad abandoning him as I understand it.

And no just because Akane can use fire powers doesn't he's immune to getting burned. Aoto at time had accepted the Driver to use his powers properly so he would have been useless because he doesn't have enough power on his own.
Iron_MawJan 15, 2016 2:14 PM
Jan 15, 2016 1:53 PM

Jan 2008
straggy said:
Akane is such a judgemental asshole lmao. Having a go at a guy for feeding strays and a hungry beggar kid is one thing, harrassing a disabled guy with PTSD for not running into a fire when there's a bunch of cops with super powers next to him that are doing fuck all is another. Goddamn, step off.
Right? He is literally the anime version of a rich, conservative republican.

"How dare these poor people live in poverty!"

"What? Poor working families can't feed their own children? How dare they be such bad parents!"

"Physically disabled and PTSD-suffering male can't do something an able-bodied, mentally sound person can? How Posterous!"

Lol, go eat a dick, Akane.
Jan 15, 2016 2:01 PM

Dec 2014
honestly if they wanted to do cg they could've just done the show like god eater and make it all cg, it's not that the cg is awful but the switching of style really breaks the immertion. Other than that it was an ok episode i guessalthough i kinda wish they would actually talk about this gate thingy since they keep mentioning it bu don't actually explain what it is (or at least what they think it is)
Jan 15, 2016 2:01 PM

Mar 2010
trinitytiger said:
straggy said:

"What? Poor working families can't feed their own children? How dare they be such bad parents!"

"Physically disabled and PTSD-suffering male can't do something an able-bodied, mentally sound person can? How Posterous!"

...Except he wasn't anything like that at all. He's issue with Aoto was because he did nice things without caring the for actually people themselves. He thinks he giving others hope and help without committing to seriously help solving their problems. Not because he hates poor people or whatever. That doesn't even make sense with his actions, what point of giving Aoto the Diver or caring at all then?
Jan 15, 2016 2:03 PM

Mar 2010
kaze631 said:
honestly if they wanted to do cg they could've just done the show like god eater and make it all cg, it's not that the cg is awful but the switching of style really breaks the immertion. Other than that it was an ok episode i guessalthough i kinda wish they would actually talk about this gate thingy since they keep mentioning it bu don't actually explain what it is (or at least what they think it is)

They mentioned last episode it is some object that grants wishes.
Jan 15, 2016 2:18 PM

Nov 2015
For me, I'm only liking the art-style so far. Everything else is boring, average or just ok. Except the OP. The op is awesome.

Gonna give it a couple more episodes to see what's what.

BTW, I think Akane is simply surprised that a parent would simply abandon his child, and I see his point. No matter how crippled, most parents would definitely try and get their child... But yeah, he's still annoying.
Jan 15, 2016 2:21 PM

Apr 2014
THE CGI IS SO FUCKING BAD! IT ACTUALLY MAKES ME WANT TO BLEACH MY EYEBALLS!
Jan 15, 2016 2:22 PM

Jan 2008
Jagd84 said:
trinitytiger said:

...Except he wasn't anything like that at all. He's issue with Aoto was because he did nice things without caring the for actually people themselves. He thinks he giving others hope and help without committing to seriously help solving their problems. Not because he hates poor people or whatever. That doesn't even make sense with his actions, what point of giving Aoto the Diver or caring at all then?

except that's your impression of the events as well.

His issues with Aoto doesn't seem to be because he did nice things without caring. It's because Akane doesn't understand how the world works. He doesn't seem to believe in "free" charity. According to his reaction to Aoto and how he put his wallet back before giving money to the kid, Akane is more on the "take care of someone completely or don't take care of them at all" side of the fence.

Akane is still a dumb kid. Clearly his world views are going to open up throughout the series, but as of now he's just seeing things from his own narrow perspective.
Jan 15, 2016 3:01 PM

Apr 2013
This was bad. Like very bad. Episode 1 still showed some promise, but here all I got was more cringeworthy lines, more emo kid and some of the most awful drama I've seen in a while. That scene with the dad was just awful, no other way to describe it really. I was hoping the action scenes could have at least made this worth watching, but let's not even go there.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jan 15, 2016 3:03 PM

Jan 2008
I like the color scheme and usage of the show but aside from that, it's starting to feel tedious watching this only for the visuals... aside from the cgi, jeez why?

Looks like the girl might have a dark and edgy past too.
Jan 15, 2016 3:04 PM

Jun 2008
This show is terrible but I kind of enjoy how terrible it is.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» End of Franchise

klakson188 - Nov 24, 2021

7 by GGyouuuuu »»
May 24, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Divine Gate Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

140 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 29, 8:43 PM

Poll: » Divine Gate Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

50 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 28, 10:10 PM

» Didn't hate nor did I really like it

lola_ - Oct 21, 2021

3 by Br3dWinn3rs »»
Jul 1, 2022 10:14 PM

Poll: » Divine Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

212 by Stars-Soul »»
Mar 18, 2022 12:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.