Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 2, 2015 8:23 AM

Jan 2015
Hazuk4shii said:
Good, promising episode. I'm not yet on the hype train but I have high hopes for this series.

A hype train ? For an underrated anime launched eight years ago ? You, sir, need to revise your basics :)

Anyway, intriguing first episode, with already a special atmosphere building up.
Jul 13, 2015 5:07 PM
Mar 2015
I like the main character. I will be so pissed if they do the usual anime thing and start sexualizing her. We need more strong female leads like her.
Sep 22, 2015 10:21 PM

Mar 2012
I love the art style and clothing, reminds me of Avatar:The Last Airbender :)
Nov 11, 2015 9:16 AM

Jan 2012
the 12 kingdom is way better than this imo,lol she is SO strong from beginning.

Nov 16, 2016 2:38 PM
May 2012
Oh come on, who takes a bath with her clothes on? And I'm pretty sure that's a girl?
Dec 27, 2016 6:41 AM

Oct 2016
I'm impressed with the cinematography
May 4, 2017 5:50 AM

Oct 2012
That was pretty intense first episode
Balsa is so badass xD
"Signature removed"
May 19, 2017 7:33 PM

Jul 2008
Probably the anime that has been on my plan to watch the longest... almost 10 years. It looks like it aged well. Balsa is good example of a strong female character done right.
Sep 23, 2018 5:50 AM

Sep 2011
Great start! Balsa is a strong, wise, knowledgeable, and skillful woman, it's really great to have a main character like her, and her main weapon being a spear is a plus too! And now I want to know more about her past, and the eight souls.

But it's really hard to accept that a father would want his son dead because he is "possessed" by something, but then again, spirits seem to be pretty palpable here, so there must me more to this, and I can't wait!
Jan 1, 2019 1:29 AM

Feb 2017
I am amazed at how good this show looks. Setting is also quite interesting. I really like Balsa already
Aug 7, 2019 7:05 AM

May 2015
Balsa sure got some ballz.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 26, 2020 3:57 PM

Feb 2020
I was hesitant about watching this show for some reason, but I actually loved this episode. It reminds me a bit of Akatsuki no Yona, but a more mature version, I love this atmosphere.
I also really like Balsa for now, she isn't what I expected her to be but she actually seems to be a great and interesting character, and it's refreshing to see a 30 yo female lead for once.
A very good first impression, I hope this show won't disappoint me !
Jan 19, 2021 11:12 AM

Jul 2017
Rewatching Seirei no Moribito, original rating was 9 so hopefully this turns out be as great as I remembered it to be.

The first episode was really simple but really good, especially showcasing some real potential already with its setting, storytelling and overall production as a whole with Director Kenji Kamiyama who directed one of my favorites in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex at the helm, and an excellent composer in Kenji Kawai producing amazing music already for the show that fits its historical, fantasy setting beautifully.

Balsa's already a really compelling female character too and I love the no bullshit attitude she has, while still wanting to protect the prince and other people in the past to atone for her sins of having to take the lives of eight people in the past. Plus, she was pretty kick ass with saving the prince's life when he was about to drown in a rapid current in a river, as well as with some combat too against some of the guards who wanted Balsa to follow them to meet the Queen. Shame for the prince that he's so young and already has assassins waiting for him due to being possessed by an evil water spirit seemingly, and it's only going to be even more chaotic now that he'll be travelling with Balsa with death constantly knocking on both of their doors via the assassins' threats.

Also one further thing to note, it was nice seeing the prince be voiced by an actual 13 year old at the time, the voice acting in this show feels more raw and authentic to the show with its slightly rough and old-school nature compared to how refined and trained most voice actors/actresses with experience sound. Fits better like that in my opinion, especially for Balsa since she does sound like a ragged warrior with heart who's gone through some shit in her life.
Jan 24, 2021 11:02 AM
Jan 2018
First epiosde and I'm already like balsa.

For an anime that came out in 2007 it still looks great, looking forward to watch this series
Sep 4, 2021 5:30 PM

Aug 2011
That OP is suuuuch a banger! L~arc~en~ciel makes the best music
desu desu binches
Nov 4, 2021 12:19 AM

Sep 2016
I honestly don't remember putting this in my PTW list, but I'm glad I did this first episode was actually pretty good first episode. I already love Balsa, she reminds me of the Major from GitS.
Apr 5, 2022 2:56 AM

Jul 2016
hoped the time would never come that i'd have to resort to watching a gem i've saved in my plan to watch, expecting to finally get to it in a couple more years due to how amazing i'd know it'd be. i don't really keep in touch with newer anime and seasonals, but stuff like seirei no moribito has got to be a rarity. after rewatching a movie that i hadn't in quite some years, my love for adventure in a historical setting ignited and there was just no going around settling for something mediocre to sate it. such a wonderful art style and the animation is equally, considering it is 2007... the atmosphere is built very well. the story is gonna be so good. uehashi nahoko is gonna set an impossible benchmark for me at this rate but eh.
May 10, 2022 2:35 PM

Sep 2014
Decent first ep, atleast good enough to continue watching instead of dropping it back on the PTW. Though it just barely made the cut.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 4, 2023 1:20 PM

Jun 2020
This anime must be one of the best looking I've ever seen...

Very unusual for a 2000s anime, which was generally a bit of a black hole between the 90s traditionally animated stuff and the highly polished digitally made stuff of the mid 2010s

I would have taken the treasure, she'll be kicking herself when she reaches retirement age lol.
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Apr 8, 2023 6:36 PM
Oct 2021
Wow, what a wonderful premise for an absolutely even more wonderful story. I hungrily await season 2
May 4, 2023 8:40 PM

Apr 2016
That's a great way to start, it had a nice mood, some striking scene and I'm looking forward to how the main protagonist and the kid will interact from now on. Great.
Aug 15, 2023 4:29 PM

Aug 2020
Great for a first episode. Looking forward to more.

Aug 26, 2023 12:22 PM

Aug 2017
Looks like nice adventure/fantasy, good work from I.G. as expected. A little confused by the fact that the middle part with the blue orb which had lots of text written didn't get translated
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Aug 23, 2007

61 by Safrichh »»
Oct 16, 9:08 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 18 Discussion

mild_even - Aug 14, 2007

34 by Safrichh »»
Oct 11, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ashura - Aug 9, 2007

51 by Safrichh »»
Oct 5, 8:45 PM

» What do you think of Seirei no Moribito?

medicalmidget - Aug 19, 2011

16 by TransferUser »»
Sep 23, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 16 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 31, 2007

47 by Safrichh »»
Sep 21, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.