Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 5, 2015 4:53 PM

Jan 2008
Beautifully disturbing.
Jan 5, 2015 4:58 PM

May 2013
I don't remember much from the manga... in fact I don't believe there was much anyway (that was translated)... but this is definitely different.

THE YURI IS STRONG.

Love the OP and ED! Music and fanservice-wise ;)

THE BEARS ARE ADORABLE.

Mmmm, definitely going to enjoy this sountrack !

WTF with the court.

DOUBLE WTF with the "eating". Look at that innuendo goddamn, these producers aren't holding back anything.

huh.. so do the bears really eat human flesh?? wonder what was the case with whatever MC's name is.

high as fuck kay this will be good
Jan 5, 2015 5:08 PM

Feb 2011
Chelizzle said:
Masterpiece,pedokuma-chans eating yuri girls,thanks japan.

add in there also the mindfucking part

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Jan 5, 2015 5:28 PM

Apr 2010
IKUHARA I LOVE YOU
Jan 5, 2015 5:52 PM
May 2014
Well, this was definetely weird. As expected from Ikuhara, but that OP, that ED, that soundtrack though. The sound directing is on point. Now to see where all this nonsense is going to end us up with..
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jan 5, 2015 5:55 PM

Mar 2013
What the fuck are these subs.
Jan 5, 2015 6:11 PM

Feb 2013
...dafuq did I watch?
Jan 5, 2015 6:31 PM

Apr 2009
GAO

GAO

GAO

I thought it was okay.
Jan 5, 2015 6:36 PM

May 2012
Dat op!

Not going to lie, I enjoyed that. By the the title I thought I was just going to watch some Yuri fanservice, but it surprise me that this actually had a plot going for it. I'm still confused on somethings like the "invisible storm" and the judging system, but everything else was good. The art is not the best, but I think I could get use to it. I'm liking Lulu and Ginko "crunch". Dat ending had me like whoa!? Did the girl get ate or what? Hope this continues to be good cause as of right now get start.

4/5.
Jan 5, 2015 6:42 PM

Jul 2012
Haven't seen it yet, but looks like MAL's reactions are mixed about this.
Jan 5, 2015 6:43 PM
Oct 2012
Humm.... That was..... Hummm.......

I think that ultimately the end will be as disappointing as Penguindrum proved to be, but like that show at least the ride to it will be enjoyable.

So pull out the popcorn, kick back, and enjoy a little "strange for the sake of being strange" goodness. Been a cour or two since we have had one of these shows, so welcome. Nice start to the winter season.

Why do the bears eat humans? Because that is what bears do. Damn natural law there!
Jan 5, 2015 6:45 PM

Nov 2013
If this has a shit load of symbolism and you are not capable of understanding it, this is an anime I will avoid like the plague.

Jan 5, 2015 6:56 PM
Sep 2008
There's confusing anime. Then there's wake ga wakanai anime like this.
Jan 5, 2015 6:58 PM
Apr 2013
dafuq did I just watch????
Jan 5, 2015 7:07 PM

Jul 2013
Well, that was an... interesting first episode, to say the least. I kinda knew what I was getting into since it's an Ikuhara show, so maybe I'm not as weirded out or clueless as I could be if I didn't watch this with that in mind. Still wondering where this is going to go all the same though. Gonna stick around with this for longer.

As a kind of side note, I love the girls' character designs, really cute stuff.
UBW is basically a route about three tsunderes constantly bashing their heads against one another.
Jan 5, 2015 7:07 PM

Jun 2011
so good.
so much penguindrum and utena mashed up into one fantastic fun fest omg, i am so excited for everything that's to come with this show. <3 it already probably will end up with a 10 but i'll play it safe right now and give it a 9 until i see more of it's beauty. loved every second of it cant wait till next week's fun. :3
Jan 5, 2015 7:09 PM

Oct 2012
So many things kept reminding me of Madoka.

(At 12:50) . This is Tsubaki Kureha's home.
Jan 5, 2015 7:11 PM

Apr 2009
and so begins lesbian bears the anime. Haven't watched Utena or Penguindrum so Im not so sure how this will go down, seems to be purposefully convoluted and tbh I wasn't so satisfied with the episode overall. From an art standpoint it was beautiful though and Im gonna stick with it for at least a few more eps.
Jan 5, 2015 7:13 PM

Feb 2012
I don't know why but I love the OP, yuri and bears are a interesting mix gao gao!
Jan 5, 2015 7:16 PM

Nov 2012
I knew giving this series a shot wasn't worth the time though my opinion of this anime has changed from trash tier to something that is redeemable as I did catch some bizarre and unique elements that I failed to find in the PV. As much as I want to continue watching this for the yuri, I feel I'll be utterly disappointed later on due to the amount of unlikable characters that I would not want to bear for the season.
Jan 5, 2015 7:18 PM

Mar 2013
Zuihou said:
I knew giving this series a shot wasn't worth the time though my opinion of this anime has changed from trash tier to something that is redeemable as I did catch some bizarre and unique elements that I failed to find in the PV. As much as I want to continue watching this for the yuri, I feel I'll be utterly disappointed later on due to the amount of unlikable characters that I would not want to bear for the season.

I see what you did there.
Jan 5, 2015 7:22 PM

Nov 2012
I swear to Alaya that I seriously did not make that pun on purpose.
Jan 5, 2015 7:29 PM
May 2014
fst said:
What the fuck are these subs.

ok i see a lot of wtf comments, are they related to the quality of subs and its better to wait for some others or is it about anime itself and subs are ok?
Jan 5, 2015 7:34 PM
Oct 2012
aczemunie said:
ok i see a lot of wtf comments, are they related to the quality of subs and its better to wait for some others or is it about anime itself and subs are ok?

The subs have a lot of simple transcription errors, however the confusion is primarily caused by the show. Not that it is hard to understand, rather even when you understand it just seems incomplete.

But that is what future episodes are for!

Still, this does recall Penguindrum. After watching the first episode I was all jazzed. I was like "okay it doesn't quite make sense yet, but damn what visuals".

This show has the same feels. I only hope that it transcends and illuminates the possibilities I felt when watching instead of ending in a somewhat boring conclusion.
Jan 5, 2015 7:39 PM

Oct 2012
Oh my god GAO GAO GAO GAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Jan 5, 2015 7:45 PM

Jan 2014
It's great to see Morishima Akiko's art in motion. Everything is screaming yuri here and I love the OP.
Jan 5, 2015 7:49 PM

Oct 2011
Watched it with subs, I'm confused and scared.... but I think I'll keep watching to see how the story progresses...
CyannersJan 6, 2015 1:42 AM
Jan 5, 2015 7:51 PM

Feb 2013
That was bizarre, but not too out of the ordinary for the director. I'm getting strong Penguindrum vibes, which I consider to be a good thing.
The environments and backgrounds are just a joy to look at, with their vivid, contrasting colors. Not too fond of the character designs, though. They seem a tad derp-faced at times.
Totally sticking around for the next episode. I have no idea where its headed from here.
Jan 5, 2015 7:51 PM
Apr 2014
"ich will protect you" - well at least i had a good laugh with those subs
Jan 5, 2015 7:59 PM

Oct 2011
Utena and Penguindrum mixed together OMG <3

Dat OP + OST : 0.
Staris!!!!
School itself and dat rooftop and scenery : 0
Survival Strategy !!!!
Transformation with a song <3
Those two bears are the other two from Triple H
Kureha's room and house exactly like Himari ( Same location)
Sumika=Anthy <3
Kureha=Himari but mostly Utena

I do wonder if 12 episodes is enough?
Jan 5, 2015 8:07 PM

Jun 2014
I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. The first episode was somewhat confusing to me and didn't give me a good picture of how it's going to be. It does have that Ikuhara feel to it though, and I'm liking that.
Jan 5, 2015 8:15 PM

Mar 2014
Worst anime I've seen this season. Complete crap.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jan 5, 2015 8:22 PM

May 2010
Nice start to the show! I'm more worried about it being 12 episodes though...maybe it'll have a second season or maybe the show only calls for 12 episodes, but I just don't want Ikuhara to make this rushed.

I love how stylistically it resembles Penguindrum and the architecture is gorgeous as usual. I also loved the little references to Utena (spiral staircase, Kureha rotating). Currently there's a lot of confusing aspects of the show but it wouldn't be an Ikuhara show without them! I've watched Penguindrum twice and there's still so much more to glean from it..

Can't wait for next week!
Jan 5, 2015 8:42 PM

Sep 2008
i've seen some shit
Jan 5, 2015 8:53 PM

Oct 2013
Yuri Approved!!

Though it personally started a bit slow, and subs were a bit irritating (alas I'm not good enough in Japanese to watch it solely without subs), but the show really picked up a bit near the end. Obviously there is still a lot of mystery in this world, which I look forward to seeing explained. In addition, I feel like a lot of people are getting lost in references and symbolism. Lots of little things implied, some of which is harder to pick up if you're not so familiar with Japanese.

I can't wait for next weeks episode! Enjoyed the start a lot! The art is awesome too!
Jan 5, 2015 8:54 PM

May 2013
Damn this show sure gets me hype-y lol. It's good to see Ikuhara again after Penguindrum and boy does it reminds me about Penguindrum.
As usual a lot of symbolism, good music, good backgrounds and confusing start, so this will probably develop into something awesome just like Penguindrum... at least that's what I hope lol.
About the design in of the eyes I have mixed feelings... i can see Morishima-sensei's art there but not completely... I don't feel it was captured as weel as it could have been... still the designs are good.

Now... yuri... it was so... wow. Like they didn't hold back with the sexual innuendos and fanservice in the episode and opening. The scene after the jury was especially hmmm... hot? Nice considering it's one of the only two yuri anime of the season.

I'll probably be saying Gao Gao all the week like a retard lol.

Definately will keep on watching it
Jan 5, 2015 8:59 PM
Sep 2014
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <-my only reaction
Jan 5, 2015 9:04 PM

May 2013
Somebody turned Ikuhara's limiters off: we're all in for a wild ride with this one.

Seriously though, what the shit. I was prepared to be confused, and for awhile there I was following things as well as expected. But then the bear hearing happened and I spent the rest of the episode in wide-eyed confusion. Possibly some better subs might ease the pain -- the speed subs here were pretty bad.

Other than the sheer surrealism, what all this is actually about seems pretty clear -- I think it might be a fair to say that this one is about homosexuality, guys. Though it'll obviously take some more time to really decipher just what Ikuhara's trying to say, that much is clear.
StarmacJan 5, 2015 9:10 PM
Jan 5, 2015 9:07 PM

Sep 2008
nochyba said:
"ich will protect you" - well at least i had a good laugh with those subs

"everything is going to be daijoubu"

actually looking forward to the next episode
Jan 5, 2015 9:10 PM

Feb 2010
Wired, erotic, lots of symbol and suggestive thing...
Looks like a combination of Utena, Madoka, and Kyojin,
Still don't know what's going on...

With "yuri" in the series name, things won't be so simple, probably not that kind of "yuri" we expect...
Jan 5, 2015 9:18 PM

Sep 2014
The subs I watched were hilarious, I approve.

Interesting series. Weird as fuck, but I like it. I liked the OP and ED.

SPIRAL STAIRCASE FTW

Also I need a GIF of the dancing bear in the ED.
Jan 5, 2015 9:41 PM

Jun 2014
what the FUCK did I just watch?
Was it serious?
Was it a parody?
WAS I TRIPPING BALLS?
Likely going to be dropped after episode 3.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jan 5, 2015 9:45 PM

Jul 2014
That was pretty weird, I am not even sure what I just watched...
Jan 5, 2015 9:50 PM
Mar 2014
.. i thought ikuhara couldn't go more style over substance but he really outdid himself with this one
jesus. horrible.
Jan 5, 2015 9:58 PM

Nov 2013
should i just watch it with the subs that are out or wait for another group to do it?
( ˘ ³˘) ♥ (0‿0✿)
Jan 5, 2015 10:27 PM

Feb 2009
Wait, all the subs out right now are twice translated from Spanish and German.
Jan 5, 2015 10:30 PM

Dec 2007
Goatkiv said:
should i just watch it with the subs that are out or wait for another group to do it?

GasPedal are doing a good job.

Made Perfect Ikuharasense, wasn't even that confusing yet for a first episode, most stuff made sense, some that made a bit less sense were not fully explained yet, that's all. Fuck, if rewatch Penguindrum I bet I'm going to like it more now!

OST was brilliant and eclectic.

The manga looks like it's an alternate retelling judging by the synopsis... or...
DeadIEndJan 5, 2015 10:55 PM
Jan 5, 2015 10:31 PM

Oct 2013
bastek66 said:
Did she die?
NOOO! Not to pick on you Bastek, but people, this is probably one of the more important scenes to understand what is implied.

OwaruSekai said:
A bit of "trivia" to help facilitate further interpretation. There are a lot of sexual innuendos being thrown around. Some less obvious than others. For example: 蜜/mitsu/honey, nectar - can refer to vaginal secretion. 蜜壷/mitsutsubo/honey jar - building upon your newly found knowledge - what could it possibly mean? (for the slightly mentally impaired - vagina). Also, "eating" in Japanese, like in English, can have a sexual connotation as well. Make of it what you will.
This is the biggest explanation and probably one of the better ones. In that scene Kureha was implied to have been EATEN. As Ginko and Lulu licked the Honey off the LILY (YURI- In Japanese which also has reference to Vagina in both English and Japanese) that was growing on Kureha (aka her own lily).

The big plot twist of the episode, aka the hook (if you want the real literary term) came from the fact that Ginko and Lulu appeared to actually eat Izu. We don't know why yet, maybe they live off Yuri but still need to eat? Who knows, we will have to find out.
Jan 5, 2015 10:38 PM

Jan 2011
instantly reminded me of Mawaru Penguindrum but somehow even more random the subs didn't help either lol.

with so much of the mentioning of yuri i can fully believe it even if it's Yuri approved!

music was nice though
Jan 5, 2015 10:56 PM
Jul 2012
So wait, can I get a bit of an explanation please.

The "invisible storm" is what?

What the F was that court thing?

What was that flower-s3x scene?

I NEED AN EXPLANATION OF WHAT I JUST SAW!
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2015

161 by zoluer »»
Aug 9, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2015

107 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:44 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2015

140 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:14 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2015

194 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2015

167 by sketchy12 »»
Apr 21, 2023 4:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.