Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 12, 2013 5:05 PM
Nov 2011
this is a show, of course
TakanakaiyoOct 12, 2018 6:58 AM

Please wait whilst I wave my tentacles
Nov 25, 2013 4:09 AM

Jun 2009
I really enjoyed this movie, great mix of drama, humour and a bit of sci-fi. The inverting of the visuals to match the perspective of the different characters was great, really gave an added dimension to the film.

Feb 1, 2014 7:48 AM
Oct 2010
I was pleasantly surprised after watching this movie at a local film festival today. Only negative was that some times the music didn't really fit the mood in the scenes.
Very nice otherwise.
Mar 14, 2014 2:16 PM

Aug 2008
It was OK.
1. Main protagonist's memories. They are featured in the movie, like, 4 or 5 times. Every time there was this music and I thought to myself: "oh, well, here we go again."
2. Love just happens. They spend a few hours together and... well, that's it. Sure, that's how it works in most movies, but in 'Patema' it's just silly.
3. At the end some questions were still unanswered. Who is who?
The ending gives us a tiny bit of information to speculate on. I would like to know more.
gregthemaniac said:
Only negative was that some times the music didn't really fit the mood in the scenes.

Double that.
Mar 30, 2014 2:39 PM

Mar 2010
Well I don't see love as being main topic of the movie, and they haven't even kissed so somehow I didn't have much problem with that. Though for example in "Kokurikozaka kara" quick love escalating was the only issue in movie for me :)

The ending is kinda Shyamalanesque ending I believe:

I liked the movie but for me it was a bit more action packed than desired and a bit too loud (maybe it's just director's style). 3D was justified and used in right places which is great.

PS Forgot to add - The favorite scene for me was - when school students having the same (kinda copycat) appearance while they're looking down are suddenly becoming all different from each other when they're starting to look at the sky.
PredelnikMar 30, 2014 2:47 PM
But if the arrow is straight
And the point is slick
It can pierce through dust
No matter how thick...
Apr 27, 2014 9:02 AM

Nov 2007
It was kind of interesting as of the world setting, two worlds originally one but some people got upside down because of some thing they did that "violates" the nature. That gravity thing between two different people were as both problems and key to solve the problem, instead of hating and being afraid of each other.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 29, 2014 12:40 AM
Apr 2013
I thought that this movie would be another Upside Down but it was pretty great. The concept was used brilliantly though I couldn't stop laughing at some of scenes early on. The social message doesn't feel forced either.

As for the ending,
Apr 29, 2014 9:14 PM

Oct 2010
I hear Kaiba OST inside the movie bgm

and bout ending what a twist..
groundfishApr 29, 2014 9:22 PM
Signature Removed
Apr 29, 2014 10:07 PM
Jun 2013
The concept behind the world of Patema is pretty interesting, but also confusing, I wonder why when Age and Patema
May 1, 2014 3:53 AM
Jul 2012
Predelnik said:
Well I don't see love as being main topic of the movie, and they haven't even kissed so somehow I didn't have much problem with that. Though for example in "Kokurikozaka kara" quick love escalating was the only issue in movie for me :)

The ending is kinda Shyamalanesque ending I believe:

I liked the movie but for me it was a bit more action packed than desired and a bit too loud (maybe it's just director's style). 3D was justified and used in right places which is great.

PS Forgot to add - The favorite scene for me was - when school students having the same (kinda copycat) appearance while they're looking down are suddenly becoming all different from each other when they're starting to look at the sky.

I think they did kissed. Do you remember the scene when they "fell" into sky and landed "there"? The first time they faced each other directly instead of upside down was inside the airship. Their forehead pressed against one another and then the scene shifted to outside the airship. Here it blocks off the whole view and you can only see Patema. Her head moves further into the airship, so it is implied that they kissed. We don't know because we couldn't see the whole thing, but I bet they did.

Honestly I love the whole movie: it's a lot deeper than what people thinks. Patema and Age could not fully understand each other at first because their views are different. Age could only understand her fear when he "fell" into the sky - he became the one who needs Patema in order to not fall.

This applies in our society as well. We sympathized with others and think we understand their pain, but in reality we do not. Unless we fully devote ourselves into stepping into the shoes of the other could we actually see it from their view. We humans have longed for peace, yet we could not achieve it. Why? Because we never cared about the view of one another. For example, one can like Patema Inverted and the other can hate it. Will they try to persuade the other into their view? Of course. Will they succeed? No. Not one of them will try to actually see the other view because it is the opposite - the same as being upside down - and they will end up with "Who cares whether I like it or not? Let's drop it because it's pointless for you to convince me other wise."

There are cases where it works, but humanity have long forsaken what it means to "understand" one another. There is also the case of political correctness in this movie. Age lived in a false world that is held together with discipline. No one is allowed to look at the sky or question the world they live it. Conform and obey in order to not offend those in rule. Our world is exactly like that.

What are laws? Who created them? We did. The law does not protect people, it is the people who protects the law. When someone breaks the law or the rule, who takes action? The people. There a lots of human who need to open their eyes and question everything. There are revolutionaries who break the laws and go against the government. Their actions obviously do harm to people as well. What is right and what is wrong? Is it just plainly letting the government, the laws, the revolutionaries, the terrorists and the media to decide for us? No, you must step out and question every piece of information you see. Come up with your own answer, see the world yourself. Age and Patema did that - they jumped over the boundary and disobeyed rules which led to their meeting.

This world is beautiful, that is why we must not also learn to trust, but also to doubt. Trust the right things, doubt the right things. Sounds impossible right? Who decides the limits? You yourself do. That is why, no matter what age you are, go and jump into this harsh and crazy world. Let yourself live in the moment, not bounded by any law or rights. This is what it is to be truly free.
May 4, 2014 2:45 AM

Jun 2011
I loved the meaning behind this movie=w=

Samhiuy said:

and I just had to agree with everything you've said. :)
May 8, 2014 3:45 AM

Aug 2011
gregthemaniac said:
Only negative was that some times the music didn't really fit the mood in the scenes.

I thought this too lol.

I've been waiting for this since watching beginning of the day. a bit let down but only because I expected a lot out of it. Still pretty good. ps. poor Porta.
May 8, 2014 9:11 AM

Oct 2010
Good movie.

That's my take on it.
"El Psy Congroo"
May 8, 2014 10:58 AM

Jun 2012
Do I need to/should watch Beginning of the Day before going on with this movie? Or can I just jump in into it?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2014 11:19 AM

Sep 2012
djfmurphy said:
Good movie.

That's my take on it.

i was wondering about this

judging by the ring of debris we see around the real moon at the end. i think its safe to assume that the proto nazis were actually the inverted.

heres how i saw it.
experiment at some point in time, it essentially reverses gravity for x amount of people/matter
there were survivors from the initial disaster (who would later become the Aegians)
patemas race of people built a fuckhuge dome underground to accommodate the now inverted Aegians. at the bottom of the fuckhuge pit is a generator/mini sun (sort af a halo 'ring' sort of construct going on).
over time, the proto nazis start to become proto nazis and attempt to hide the truth, hence why aircraft seem to be banned and such strict law is placed on all the inhabitants. the laws remain but the reason behind them is forgotten.

somewhere along the line, patemas people forget that they can live on the surface, or maybe they were one of the clans that originally coexisted with the Aegians at the bottom of that tower, and over time, like the Aegians, forgot that they were from the surface.

i was confused watching the movie, but after thinking about it a bit, it all sort of makes sense.

its definitely far better than that 'upside down' movie though.

not to mention the very nice art and animation
eldestMay 8, 2014 11:22 AM
May 8, 2014 11:55 AM

Aug 2011
@von no beginning of the day is like the first 25 mins of the movie

wow you guys have such nice takes on it... i was just really confused lol.

i also forgot to mention this cuz i was really sleepy, but I was so scared for the characters. felt like eiji was gonna let patema silp all the time. specially those times where they just casually sleep in the air ┐( ̄▽ ̄;)┌
May 8, 2014 3:51 PM
Jan 2014
I fully understand the whole movie's story.

That's it! ;)
addiction08May 8, 2014 4:00 PM
May 8, 2014 4:31 PM

Feb 2012
Loved the full story that began with the 4 min ep series, we got to what really was happening and why there was Inverts and such! Patema and eiji being together was so great! But did you see what gramps found in his sons journal!!!

one down side was i got super dizzy from being upside down turns and spins lol
May 8, 2014 4:39 PM

Dec 2013
lol episode 1. It's a movie.
I shall destroy and hate mankind
May 8, 2014 5:23 PM

Feb 2012
What the heck? Was I just watching a Castle in the Sky remake or something?
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
May 8, 2014 8:20 PM

Nov 2011
It's funny if you turn your head or turn your laptop opposite down when watching some of the scenes.

It was quite an interesting movie though overall, one that I find unusual with the two worlds. I think it feels more like an experimental film. And seriously for a girl that curious, she almost did end up being the cat that could get herself killed. I got admit, a lot of the scenes felt surreal in this movie especially the way the camera angles. I think the purpose was the show a point of view from both worlds. I think the framework captured those moments brilliantly and to the point. On another note though, I didn't find the relationship between Patema and Eiji to be too special since it felt more like fate that they met.

I also noticed that throughout the last few parts of the movie, the camera angles focused more on objects in specifically on the vehicle that belonged to Eiji's father. That was kinda neat imo as to reflect a sort of memory his father left behind. The music during some of those scenes were decent though. Overall, it was a thought provoking film but nothing too great. 7/10.
May 8, 2014 10:10 PM

Jan 2008
The prologue didn't really make much sense, but served to be good enough previews for this movie. Wasn't necessary to watch the prologue though, if you watch the full movie.

This movie sure had me confused for a bit. So, my understanding in the end (going downward):

As for the protective suits/masks, who else got some Killzone vibes when seeing the black glowy red-eyed guys? For both of them though, I get the feeling it was only to make themselves feel better, delving into the unknown.

I get that they could have days/nights by producing an artificial sun with lights (which is why it got hot in the movie), but the only beef I have with this movie is, going by real-world standards...there is no way in hell they could have dug out that far into the earth to create an artificial atmosphere/sky, as well as the metal cityscape base, because it would have been too hot, and many metals will literally melt into liquid under the earth's pressured depths. It makes sense that it would get hot (like in the movie), but not only at certain intervals. Since the movie portrayed that it wasn't hot enough to destroy the backpack, or the documents, or melt the photograph, or burn the papers in the notebook for years, yet all of a sudden it becomes too hot to bear before needing to return to the surface. The current longest hole in the earth (which was drilled), is deeper than the bottom the ocean (so it claims), yet is nowhere near the distance from our own sky to the surface.

Still good movie. I think I would have liked to see a kiss in the end instead of just a hug (excluding the implied one while in his dad's "vehicle". If he really did let go, then that really is the end of the line for him...his next stop will be becoming part of the Moon's rings.

The loose paper in the notebook must be detailed important information on gravity, and how to manipulate it (which is how Eiji's father documented the making of his hot-air balloon-like machine), and likely how to reverse it as well...meaning everyone can be whatever side-up they want in the future...maybe; that's left up for an open-ending.

I'm quite excited to see what Yasuhiro Yoshiura comes out with next.
Estoy_GordoMay 9, 2014 4:54 AM
May 9, 2014 12:08 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Holy crap this movie was great because of the twist at the end! Not Yoshiura Yasuhiro's best work (not that he has many, especially not long ones), but it was still great. He never incorporates a bad guy (or at least not one that is essential to the plot), which is what I usually like from his work. That man was so annoying, especially his voice and his incredibly radical views as well as his dictating ways. It's no wonder Age (Eiji??) had so much fun with Patema...he and like the others, were never really able to learn enjoyment, none of them ever smiled, at least the little we've seen of the Aegians.

Aside from that, I liked learning from others here that have commented about the artificial atmosphere and the generators down below, I'm not too good with any sci-fi related stuff so I had no clue what to think about the two "skies", but that makes a lot of sense. Other people have already done a lot of analysis, and it's a shame that I can only agree and not add my own analysis because well...I don't have anything else to add ^^

I really enjoyed this movie, especially the very light romance. Some people on the site I was watching this on said that it was like Upside Down, but really, only the idea of inverted gravity is...everything else is completely different, from the focus (the live action was romance, also touched on discrimination) and there's no two skies thing going on.

Lastly, the music at the end was beautiful, as expected of a film by Yoshiura Yasuhiro. His works always has such wonderful songs, Aoi Tamago from Pale Cocoon, I Have a Dream from Eve no Jikan, and Harmonie. Also, I really like his camerawork, it's really refreshing, though dizzying at times because he likes to use the hand-held camera effect. Looking forward to seeing more from him!
May 9, 2014 2:26 AM

Aug 2013
Great movie, enjoyed it very much, expected that twist tho, especially after seeing the top of the sky in Eiji's world. Dem holdin position the whole movie.. geez
May 9, 2014 3:10 AM

Jul 2008
I'm still kind of confused about Lagos.

Loved the concept of inverted gravity, wish there was a diagram of this world. I was surprised no one got engulfed by magma though.
(◕ᴥ◕し)むにゅ〜
May 9, 2014 5:03 AM
May 2014
Remember that industrial land where Patema landed on/ Age flew to? I didn't really understand what that was. It got me even more confused when it started to burn in daylight. Is it the sun, or is it another planet near the sun??

I wonder if there's another industrial land where Patema could fly to/ Age could land on..
May 9, 2014 5:39 AM
Jan 2014
Fatoom95 said:
Remember that industrial land where Patema landed on/ Age flew to? I didn't really understand what that was. It got me even more confused when it started to burn in daylight. Is it the sun, or is it another planet near the sun??

I wonder if there's another industrial land where Patema could fly to/ Age could land on..

MutatedFishMay 9, 2014 5:43 AM
May 9, 2014 5:40 AM

Nov 2012
*Spoilers included.

Here's a mind blower for all of u: The bottom of the Aiga artificial reversed-gravity habitat geofront is a geothermal energy plant that provides energy for artificial environment. It is active during the "day" and creates light and warmth, and is being cooled during the "night" while only the lights are active, wich creates the effect of a starry night. The geofront was probaby built in a place severely hit by gravity inversion phenomenon, where a huge patch of earth surface got launched into the space (how the hell would they moved so much soil in any other way). Broken buildings on the real surface are a bit confusing because they are obviously built sfter the geofront completion around the huge shaft. My guess is that the rest of the humanity were too afraid living on the surface remembering the gravity inversion phenomenon or maybe a war happened on the outside, and those who built the geofront created an improvised colony beneath the surface, in the geofront roof. That should explain the setting I guess
0-fu_k-giverMay 9, 2014 6:16 AM
Art should be left alone by those unenlightened, raw and uncensored as it is, because enough refinement was already done by it's creator, in it's creation.
May 9, 2014 1:07 PM

Jul 2010
There's the "princess" who feels oppressed by her lack of liberty, the bad guy who kidnaps her for questionable reasons, and then the good guy who tries to save her. I must say that I found that movie to be quite cliché/cheesy by moments, but that plot twist was good, really good. I was still expecting that movie to be better though.
fleurbleueMay 9, 2014 1:11 PM
May 9, 2014 2:44 PM

Apr 2010
I've been looking forward to this for a while.

I have to be honest... this was absolutely amazing! I loved this movie. The atmosphere, the animation, the world feeling so vast... I was intrigued the whole way through.

Definitely in my top 5, and probably my favorite anime movie to date.

9/10
May 9, 2014 3:41 PM

Jun 2013
Awesome.

This was great. I started watching without any expectations, in fact I just happened to find this movie and decided to give it a try, and it turned out great. They did not leave much unexplained. They told us everything we needed to know. In the end I was satisfied with what I watched.

The premise of an underground world with opposite gravity was very good and also executed brilliantly. The story progression was also good. Things made sense.

The artwork was also splendid.

The way they showed both worlds in different ways, like upside-down when the boy was underground, felt great.

A question to all those who claim Patema's people were not the inverted ones, how do you explain that ending? In the end, the gravity for those underground reversed and we could see dozens of buildings lying on the ground which were certainly not present before.
My take on this is that Patema's people were in fact inverted. The buildings in the sky were a result of that experiment done long before. The buildings eventually stopped at one point. I can't explain the lights in the buildings but the other theory doesn't explain the fact that the rest of the people were not inverted and that buildings were on the ground at the end. If those on the surface were inverted then why didn't their gravity reverse? Why did it only affect those with Patema?
Also, if Patema's people are not the inverted ones, then why live like more underground? Why not live on the actual surface? I'm pretty sure that the actual surface wouldn't be in total ruins or something.
Yamada2May 9, 2014 4:08 PM
May 9, 2014 7:12 PM

Oct 2013
I liked it a lot. The whole idea with the gravity discrepancy was executed well and it dealt with some interesting subjects. I also think that they portrayed the romance in a satisfying way. Not too much to morph the plot into a kitsch fest but also not too subtle. Also nice twist at the end.

Overall, I'm very very content with what I saw. Looking forward to Yoshiura's next work.
V0ltgMay 9, 2014 7:16 PM
May 9, 2014 7:57 PM

Sep 2013
I really like the twist at the end and also the sky scene were beautiful
May 10, 2014 7:04 AM

Dec 2013
Really liked the movie. That plot twist though!

(This is off topic but why is everyone suddenly watching and posting on this? Was there some film festival or something?)
May 10, 2014 7:10 AM
Apr 2013
EscapadePro said:

(This is off topic but why is everyone suddenly watching and posting on this? Was there some film festival or something?)

The BD just came out not long ago and a week after that someone uploaded the BD rips into the net.
May 10, 2014 11:46 AM

Dec 2007
The movie should be adapted to a video game with an open world and more awesome shit related to invertion, think of the possibilities.

9/10, great setting, concept, world building, OST and directing. It excels at what it does in the short time span of a bit more than an hour and a half.
May 11, 2014 10:23 AM

Sep 2008
Wow this movie has an awesome idea. It could've been done better, though. The main bad guy and a lot of the things that happened were quite typical and it felt like watching Castle in the Sky or something.

So much vertigo.
May 11, 2014 8:07 PM
Oct 2013
Loved the Plot Twist at the end! The different perspectives from Age/Patema of the world made it more interesting.
May 12, 2014 8:14 PM

Dec 2008
I can't remember the last time I was so overjoyed to see an anime character die a horrible death! That was one wicked bastard. I actually wished his death could have been more painful.

Loved "Age" (or "Eiji")!!!

So, was it the Aigans(?) that were inverted all along?

8/10

Sent with Mal Updater
May 13, 2014 8:16 AM
Jan 2014
The story wasn't half bad as long as I didn't look into it too much. It was overall enjoyable.
May 13, 2014 11:07 AM

Oct 2013
This actually exceed my expectations. I thought the story was entertaining and well told. A must watch for anyone.
May 13, 2014 11:23 PM
Oct 2013
It's far from being bad, but I expected too much because Eve no Jikan was simply excellent.
May 14, 2014 2:12 AM

May 2012
Wow, that was a very interesting plot and a rare one (although I read from the previous comments that this is somewhat like Laputa in which I have not watched yet). Love the subtle romance too. And here I thought (from Patema's perspective at the 1st half), falling to the sky is so damn scary!!!! Gonna recommend this to my friends.. such a weird but enjoyable movie.
May 14, 2014 11:53 AM

Nov 2010
That was really really good. that whole idea of ... wow.

well done.

8/10
May 14, 2014 7:21 PM
May 2009
Yamada2 said:
A question to all those who claim Patema's people were not the inverted ones, how do you explain that ending? In the end, the gravity for those underground reversed and we could see dozens of buildings lying on the ground which were certainly not present before.

As many people pointed out above you:
May 15, 2014 12:17 AM

Sep 2013
That ending was a bit of a mindfuck at first.

I'm curious though if they had a kid what would it's gravitational orientation be? I would guess like Patema, but if it's like Age walking around in the later stages of pregnancy would be easy :p
May 15, 2014 7:09 AM

Feb 2012
So many twists in the movie!! I LOVE IT! I was blown away and had a lot of mindfcuking moments! A bit nauseating though coz I sorta twisted my head at times to see how the "inverted" people are perceiving things.. Though some scenes, I wondered why is it like that (slowly levitating to the sky, and not being affected by pressure/oxygen, etc? BUT once you UNDERSTAND the whole story, it's truly an AMAZING and BRILLIANT concept!
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
May 15, 2014 1:53 PM

Jul 2013
It made me fear the sky.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2014 3:08 PM

Jan 2013
Was waiting such a long time for this movie ...
And it did not dissapoint, just an amazing story.

But boy, the hole they must've dug to create a heat generator THAT high ( or low ;] )
Thanks a lot for the people explaining a bit more about the story!

The art style was beautiful.
May 15, 2014 5:12 PM

Nov 2012
I like it. Perhaps I was expecting better, but overall it was ok.
Art was really great.
Plot was OK, but it felt a bit rushed.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» can someone explain the end to me (spoilers)

Scootboi - May 22, 2014

28 by Scootboi »»
Jul 11, 6:12 PM

» So what exactly is good about this movie?

Nyron - Dec 28, 2014

35 by YahiyaX777L »»
Jul 11, 2:58 AM

» Is Sakasama no Patema a romance?

Hosny - Jul 20, 2017

6 by YahiyaX777L »»
Jul 11, 2:56 AM

» Sooooo trippy but quite enjoyable :)

lola_ - Sep 4, 2022

8 by YahiyaX777L »»
Jul 11, 2:53 AM

» *SPOILERS* End Letter Decode ( 1 2 )

Weapon_Master - May 11, 2014

55 by YahiyaX777L »»
Jul 11, 2:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.