Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2012 4:51 AM

May 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Siegfried seemed to have a similar skill as Shiryu. But I doubt the person that he send flying with would died so quickly.
Dec 9, 2013 2:43 AM

Jun 2008
xahjun said:

Siegfried seemed to have a similar skill as Shiryu. But I doubt the person that he send flying with would died so quickly.

Yeah i guess it was inspired by the fact that both are dragon related fighters so they had a similar last resort thing. It does really seem strange though if that guy presented like that only had that much screen time.

Btw so Poseidon has Golden saints too? Ok maybe they aren't called saints but is a similar thing.

By the way the plot is made with all the Greek gods and their territories etc so am still wondering where exactly Odin fits in this whole thing since he is from a completely different mythology.
Apr 21, 2015 12:22 PM

Feb 2009
Monad said:
xahjun said:

Yeah i guess it was inspired by the fact that both are dragon related fighters so they had a similar last resort thing. It does really seem strange though if that guy presented like that only had that much screen time.

Btw so Poseidon has Golden saints too? Ok maybe they aren't called saints but is a similar thing.

By the way the plot is made with all the Greek gods and their territories etc so am still wondering where exactly Odin fits in this whole thing since he is from a completely different mythology.

Both these Nordic episodes and the Steel Saints episodes are anime-only, fillers if you may. In the original, it's all and only Greek Mythology references
Apr 22, 2018 11:56 PM

Jun 2016
I enjoyed this episode, but because I did I would like to get my criticisms out of the way first. I actually came here intending to criticize how not only was this arc a rehash but Siegfried sacrificed himself near identically to the way Shiryu did well also taking a note from him in the Argol fight by getting rid of one of his senses. As much as I thought this, it does make sense that since both are 'dragons' both would have similar moves, they did have the same weakness after all. That said, I would have liked to have some more characterization on Siegfried, and had his similarity to Shiryu be established as more than the dragon mythology presented.

Siegfried was a nice antagonist, but he wasn't amazing nor was he even the best of the God Warriors in my mind. I liked Bud the most, and I liked Mime more than Siegfried, but he was probably the third best(despite having some amazing closing moments). I don't think he's a bad villain, and I think the way it characterized him without flashbacks or anything like that was a nice change of pace. We saw that he felt for the saints, he appreciated their strength, courage, and friendship, and did not want to fight them outside of duty. We had also come to understand that he devoted his life to Hilda, so to him even if she turned nefarious his life was still hers. It's alike how the saints view Athena's strength, Hilda, while not a Goddess, has a direct connection with Odin and the Asgard people view her as one of the most powerful people they know. How could such a person be controlled? That is why he thought Hilda had autonomy. Despite being nefarious now, his life is still devoted to her out of love. But upon realizing it was more than that, that it was Poseidon who controlled her forcefully he changed his mind and had a new objective. To fight with his comrades in mind and save her, keeping his life in her hands in a way. So, I guess I did like him a lot! He was just less explored than the others that I enjoyed more than him. His fight was short and sweet and his fight with Siren was too, so that was another nice change of pace. Shiryu sacrifices himself to find Siegfried's weakness. Seiya uses all of their power together(which would be a great skill to have if not only being used in final fights) and trades with the hesitating Siegfried twice to bring him to a near death state. That's short and sweet, the opposite of the Alberich fight!

I googled it and I found out that the filler arc we're watching ends soon. Everything after Asgard seems to be canonical which should be good. My subs were bad but the story we got here was interesting and it reminded me why I love Saint Seiya's world building. Hades controls hell, Zeus controls heaven, Athena controls the land, and Poseidon controls the sea. We're now seeing what Saga was afraid of, what Saga was fighting for. Saga was fighting so that he could get the jump on the God's who would later come to take their land over. His prediction was right and Poseidon is on the move now. I wonder what caused him to now... His first moves, to take over the land by killing Athena, taking over sanctuary, and overflowing the land with sea so he could rule it as he does his section, or so I got from my mediocre subs. That's interesting. Poseidon had to stop Hilda from tending her her land to melt the glaciers, and it seems Siren was the one who dictated the choice to allow Hilda to kill Athena and her saints out of boredom or pride or convenience. I'm also interested in Siren's choice of words when speaking about Poseidon. His 'goodness' is spoke of a fair bit, and while taking over Asgard he gave the people a chance to go to a warm land as if it was something nice to do. Saga was a great villain in my eyes for what he stood for, and Saint Seiya always does moral ambiguity quite well, so I'm excited to see and understand Poseidon!

I am slightly perturbed by the fact that we wen't from a battle of gold saints, to god warriors, to 'generals of the sea' presumably. I hope this arc is less focused on one fight after another as it's been since the gold saint battles started. There was something great about the variety of a tournament arc, to an arc about keeping the gold armor safe from Ikki and a battle with their friend, to an arc about staying alive and keeping Saori safe as they track down who's attacking them so they can fight back, to the gold saint arc! It all had some variety to it, and the cat and mouse game of the saints vs a barrage of silver saints while they investigated the Sanctuary and such was one of the most interesting parts of the anime plot wise. I remember complimenting a scene where they worked out plans to split up in a secret base, and episodes like where the saints went to Sanctuary and left hurt and blind(in Shiryu's case) were an interesting way to do 'one step forward, two steps back'. Don't forget the entire blind Shiryu character arc and Ohko fight! My point here is that this Poseidon arc sounds like it's going to be similar to the last two in an unfortunate way, but the fact that they don't know how to contact Poseidon and there's a mystery involved leaves me hopeful!
Apr 23, 2018 7:10 AM

Dec 2016
gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:

I am slightly perturbed by the fact that we wen't from a battle of gold saints, to god warriors, to 'generals of the sea' presumably. I hope this arc is less focused on one fight after another as it's been since the gold saint battles started. There was something great about the variety of a tournament arc, to an arc about keeping the gold armor safe from Ikki and a battle with their friend, to an arc about staying alive and keeping Saori safe as they track down who's attacking them so they can fight back, to the gold saint arc! It all had some variety to it, and the cat and mouse game of the saints vs a barrage of silver saints while they investigated the Sanctuary and such was one of the most interesting parts of the anime plot wise. I remember complimenting a scene where they worked out plans to split up in a secret base, and episodes like where the saints went to Sanctuary and left hurt and blind(in Shiryu's case) were an interesting way to do 'one step forward, two steps back'. Don't forget the entire blind Shiryu character arc and Ohko fight! My point here is that this Poseidon arc sounds like it's going to be similar to the last two in an unfortunate way, but the fact that they don't know how to contact Poseidon and there's a mystery involved leaves me hopeful!

Not yet. Poseidon is not a huge arc though. The original series ends on episode 114. After that came the OVA's in 2002, 2005 and 2008 until episode 145, which are the highest point in the series and where you will see many improvements plotwise. It's fucking great!

Poseidon is a good arc by the way. Nothing amazing but very enjoyable. Don't worry.
Apr 26, 2018 4:53 AM

Dec 2015
@gfsdfgsdgsdfgs Sorry to say that but Kurumada "came up" with the "ennemy's base invasion" (with each hero staying behind to fight someone) scenario somewhere during Ring ni Kakero (and it was pretty nice) but went on to use it automatically for Saint Seiya for every of his chapters (Sanctuary, Poseidon, Hades). The Hades chapter made a few tweaks at least.
In the anime, it makes the thing a little more annoying thanks to the Asgard infill.
Jun 24, 2023 1:19 AM

Dec 2016
One of the best episodes for sure, and it's from a filler arc!

Siegfried's sacrifice flying high toward his guardian star, while remembering and saying goodbye to all the friends he lost on the way, never fails to send shivers down my spine.
Apr 10, 11:08 PM

Nov 2015
hahaha! I hate knights including the saints they're so incredible stupid! what a waste of my time 😭 SS never again!
SoldierDream said:
Siegfried's sacrifice flying high toward

the hand! you meant 🤣 it was gullible, he could've easily dodgeit tho
Berry-VodkaApr 10, 11:14 PM

💢

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 25 Discussion

barteq88 - Nov 29, 2010

16 by satyrelfheim »»
Oct 14, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 24 Discussion

barteq88 - Nov 29, 2010

10 by satyrelfheim »»
Oct 14, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 23 Discussion

barteq88 - Nov 29, 2010

10 by satyrelfheim »»
Oct 11, 8:08 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 71 Discussion

barteq88 - Dec 4, 2010

4 by passing_through »»
Oct 6, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 22 Discussion

barteq88 - Nov 29, 2010

11 by satyrelfheim »»
Sep 13, 7:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.