Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jun 25, 5:39 AM
Dec 2013
The show started with a reason and ended without one. But, unlike the characters in the show, the show itself isn't getting a turnaround at the end where it finds its reason and becomes great again. The start was great, but it turned into another average slice of life with convenient everything popping up and all of the sad parts were gone pretty fast. I especially cringed when I saw Kano and the girl she punched just hanging out like the whole ruining multiple people's lives was just a faded memory. I haven't seen the original source material so I don't know if the source also shallowed out or if the anime's directors rushed it at the end. Either way, it still gets an 8 from me for the good parts, would've been a 9 if they didn't mess it up.
Jun 25, 6:05 AM

Jun 2020
I'm glad that jirai kei girl wasn't that bad lol. Also, I think the guy at the end was Kano's father? I really want to know what is exactly happened with their family.

What a journey. Well-made animation, a lot of songs that easily made earworm and great character development. It feels kinda fell off and rushed especially near the end, but I still cried at some parts of this episode. The closing scene that looks exactly like the OP was a nice touch. Nice work, everyone!
Jun 25, 8:42 AM
Nov 2022
Authentic cinema, from start to finish.

Who knew that a CGDCT anime was going to serve as an excellent example of self-worth and personal improvement?

I loved it, I really liked the adult approach of this anime, although there was comedy it focused on the drama, in fact, I would say that it showed more of how the medium of idols works than Oshi no ko xdd.

Mahiru>Kano>>>>Kimura>>>>Kiui 🚬
Jun 25, 9:30 AM

Oct 2018
anime very good, maybe should be 1 or 2 more episode because the end seems a little rush (just my opinion) but i liked this anime very much.
Duo Miku Itou - Rie Takahashi was so lovely to ear <3
Jun 25, 7:50 PM

Mar 2022
I still love this show and the ideas it's trying to convey. Though after finishing the final episode, something definitely felt missing.

A few characters weren't fleshed out enough for me to exactly agree with the plot, but instead feeling a little puzzled. Like how Mero was the one to first cheer for Kano or how Kano's mom suddenly seem to care now. I understand that it could make sense, like how Mero was self-aware that she did a bad thing so she doesn't blame Kanon for lashing out at her, or if Kano's mother still always cared about Kanon aside from work, but Kanon just ran away and avoided her so she did the same.

Overall, I enjoyed the anime, the characters and ideas are fun, the production was very good. But the story still felt a little messy and cut short. A bit of a shame.
Jun 26, 1:02 AM

Aug 2020
Of all the endings they could have gone with I genuinely think this is probably the worst possible one. They don't even make the slightest attempt at resolving the conflict between Kano and her abusive mother. In the end they kinda just go "she actually wasn't that bad guys," Which she ABSOLUTLEY WAS! She only payed attention to her daughter when it was for her own personal benefit (even in the final act, she only works with JELLE when she gets something out of it), and when her daughter couldn't be an idol anymore, she essentially abandoned her (still minor) child. Mero's character arc was also totally rushed. Something was obviously planned for her, as they hinted at, but it was never actually animated. Thus, she got the same treatment as the deadbeat mom.

All of this disregarding the absolute absurdity of the final arc as a whole. The fact that an idol involved in a major scandal is playing under a different name and collabing with the group she used to be in would be a pr NIGHTMARE, and I doubt any executive would ever allow it. The mom's actions also don't make much sense, and the collab's existence really should never have happened.

This was either too ambitious, had producer overreach, or something crazy happen to the production to make the ending this rushed. It feels like I'm watching an entirely different show than the one that made the masterpiece of a drama that was episode 9, and the other great episodes establishing the characters.

So many more loose ends were left. I am in shock that a show that was so good can end this poorly.
Jun 26, 5:08 AM

Jun 2022
I didn't think the anime would be completely finished in this final episode, but thanks Jelee it was very great ! Goodbye Sekai
Jun 26, 11:16 AM
May 2017
overall probably my favourite of the season
not flawless: rather little, yet still too much fanservice, and I felt Kiui's drama in the later episodes a bit too forced
but still a very high quality comfy feel-good show

I like that by the end not all their problems are magically solved, Kiui still haven't gone to school, even to the graduation, and Kano haven't become best buds with her mom overnight, but still things are slowly but surely improve

I think the last drama part was done reasonably well, both parties were right from their perspective
yeah, then it was solved rather quickly, but you know there is only so much you can fit into 12 episodes
and then yey, happy end, there is no real reason not to have a happy end of an original series that will not have a continuation
Jun 26, 12:58 PM
Jan 2023
The final episode. They really did it justice and wrapped up all the loose ends, and some new awesome art too.

It's not often a show is able to make me cry and laugh just like this one did. Particularly this final episode, I just couldn't stop the waterworks. Even still, as I am writing this too.

This has got to be one of, if not my favourite anime of all time. It has had a greater impact on me than words in a post on an episode discussion thread could ever hope to convey. I loved every minute of it. Huge props to Doga Kobo for this masterpiece! Easy 10/10 from me, no doubt about it.

I sure will miss this show, even when times have been rough for me, this show, and JELEE have been the things to keep me pushing on through. I really hope that they make a sequel for this, there could very possibly be more to cover. I'm just guessing, but at the end there, I think that may have been Yoru's dad perhaps. I guess the ting would be, how do they top perfection?
Jun 27, 3:10 AM

Mar 2022
tbh with the 12 episodes limitation they could just skip out mahiru and kano dramas and, you know, let us enjoy cute girls doing cute things. It felt rushed
go outside and actually farm plants.
Jun 27, 7:49 PM
Feb 2021
I like this finale, but I don't love it! I feel it was a bit rushed. I did really like how Mahiru and Kano finally apologized to one another and how 🥺 they gave eachother the "aquarium in Shibuya" with this performance. I thought the epilouge stuff with the girls was mostly really sweet, especially Kimura being the inspiration for that girl like Kano was for her ❤️.

Wasn't so much of a fan of how it felt like they were brushing off the fact that Kano's mom literally,,,just abandoned her? Fuck that bitch lol. But at least the girls are happy in the end ♡♡. I did like the scene where they were painting together even though I was sad to the see the og jellyfish go. I really do hope the girls stay together forever!
Jun 27, 8:26 PM
Nov 2018
akatsukinoluna said:
@Royalty459 where have you heard that about the LN? I looked on yurinavi, and it doesn't have a 百合公認 (officially recognized yuri) tag, nor does Bookwalker (tho Bookwalker's LN tagging is kinda awful in general)

I've been reading the manga. It's a decent adaptation (doesn't feel quite as magical as the show), but the kiss only just happened, and so far everything has been identical to the movie.

Will happily read the novel if it is... but don't wanna read just to be led on again (I mean I might read anyway, just don't wanna have false hope)

I heard it from other people but haven't looked myself tbh
Jun 27, 11:54 PM

May 2008
Wonder why the ratings dropped sub-8. The show was pretty solid all the way to the end.
Jun 28, 6:41 AM
Mar 2019
So, that's it then. One of my feel good anime of the season is done. It ended well, but it could've been better. Still, these jellyfish will learn to shine on their own.
Jun 28, 1:45 PM
Aug 2022
wished it commit more to the yuri :/
Jun 28, 1:45 PM
Aug 2022
wished it commit more to the yuri :/
Jun 28, 7:47 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to saikyozero
@stevejawbs "Majority" LMAO. Again with the overexagerration. As original commenter said, Girls Band Cry wasn't even completed so its rating can still tank. Another addition to my reasoning, not even half many number of people watched GBC than this anime.

If you like your GBC then so be it, but at least learn to use proper adjectives. Not everything should be labeled best, worst, etc.
@saikyozero Hey, as promised, I'm following up now that Girls Band Cry ended.

Following the final episode, the score increased by 0.18. It ends with a overall score of 8.48.
Just to remind you, Kurage ended at 7.99. It sits at 7.93 now... yikes.

GG, no re
Average MAL user's media literacy:
Marinate1016 said:
Not reading allat cause I don’t care. Tensura peak. Have a good one tho
Jun 28, 8:22 PM
Jul 2021
It may not be the most mature story, but the overall quality of this anime is spot-on for me. The last episode is pretty similar to Ya-boy Koumei but perhaps a bit more layered. You might call certain sequences cliche but for me it's such a solid show. 8.5/10.
Jun 29, 1:46 AM

Jun 2022
10/10. loved it. i will watch this with my mans

Jun 29, 3:43 AM
May 2018
WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY DIDN'T KISS IN THE END?????
Jun 30, 4:28 AM

Jun 2016
Easily one of the best anime of the season

Sub-8 rating is absolutely criminal. People wouldn't know good directing if they were clubbed in the face with it.
The lighting, dynamic camera angles, creative shot composition ah.

Multiple insert songs. Memorable OSTs.

How well the CG was blended in. Animated dance scenes. Animation. Not just CG & stills.

Unique, grounded characters that aren't just copying a template.

Like most originals, there were clearly more ideas than could be fit into the runtime. One more episode really could have given better closure to some of the weaker points like Kano's Mom, the shithead childhood 'friends', and Mero. Maybe even Kano's dad. And Koharu. There was clearly more planned for her character.

Really glad there are more anime being carried by the team producing it rather than lazy attempts to piggyback off adapting popular source material.
Jun 30, 6:59 AM

Jul 2021
stevejawbs said:

Following the final episode, the score increased by 0.18. It ends with a overall score of 8.48.

GG, no re

ended at 8.21, actually not 7.99
Jun 30, 9:58 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to Cestlavie_
stevejawbs said:

GG, no re

ended at 8.21, actually not 7.99
@Cestlavie_ It definitely wasn't 8.21 lol. It was already below that after week 8, with a steady decline since then. You can check historical scores here.

7.99 was when I posted, which was one day after the final episode aired. The link above lists it was 7.98, which is close enough. I think they get the scores at the end of the week, regardless of when the episode aired within that week, so it really depends on what you define as "ended on".

Anyway, what's important is that Kurage is still dropping, sitting at 7.91 from yesterday's 7.93. GBC went up by 0.01.
Marinate1016 said:
Jun 30, 10:04 AM

Jul 2021
stevejawbs said:
@Cestlavie_ It definitely wasn't 8.21 lol. It was already below that after week 8, with a steady decline since then. You can check historical scores here.

7.99 was when I posted, which was one day after the final episode aired. The link above lists it was 7.98, which is close enough. I think they get the scores at the end of the week, regardless of when the episode aired within that week, so it really depends on what you define as "ended on".

Anyway, what's important is that Kurage is still dropping, sitting at 7.91 from yesterday's 7.93. GBC went up by 0.01.

nah it got that final episode boost since scores from those rated 3 episodes in and below are removed.
Jun 30, 4:50 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to Cestlavie_
stevejawbs said:

nah it got that final episode boost since scores from those rated 3 episodes in and below are removed.
@Cestlavie_ Could you elaborate? I actually don't know exactly how the MAL scores are calculated, so it'd be good for me to learn.

Why did GBC jump up in score after the final episode, but Kurage tanked?
Marinate1016 said:
Jun 30, 5:28 PM

Jul 2021
stevejawbs said:
@Cestlavie_ Could you elaborate? I actually don't know exactly how the MAL scores are calculated, so it'd be good for me to learn.

They actually both rose for a short time. MAL has this feature For anime that have finished airing all scores from users who have seen at least 1/5 of the anime are given equal weight towards the mean and all scores from people who have seen less than 1/5 are ignored entirely. that's why almost all shows rise in score after their finale, so people that dropped the show in less than 3 episodes their score gets disregarded.
Jun 30, 7:33 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to Cestlavie_
stevejawbs said:

They actually both rose for a short time. MAL has this feature For anime that have finished airing all scores from users who have seen at least 1/5 of the anime are given equal weight towards the mean and all scores from people who have seen less than 1/5 are ignored entirely. that's why almost all shows rise in score after their finale, so people that dropped the show in less than 3 episodes their score gets disregarded.
@Cestlavie_ Ahh I see, thank you for the info! I learned something new today.
I did find the info page about the scoring system. It could be a bit clearer about what happens while the show is airing, but what you said makes sense now. I can see how this show could've hit 8.21.

Based on how the system works, it could be inferred that the higher the jump, the worse the show was, since it would indicate a larger number of people who thought negatively about the first few episodes then jumped ship.

Makes me think twice before using numbers from sources like this, since it seems to be taking a screenshot at a specific moment in time regardless of when the episodes actually air. Depending on the timeslot, it could make a show look worse/better than it was. MAL should really provide at least a trend graph or something, calculated daily, of how a show does throughout its run.

But anyway, back to the original conversation I was having, it does say a lot that this show hit 8.21 after the final episode aired, then dropped to a 7.99 within 2-3 days (and a 7.91 now). GBC looks like it also had a jump after the final episode, but it hasn't declined much at all. Also funny that since it's weighted based on number of users who rated the show, GBC should've had a disadvantage, or at least had no advantages, which goes against what
@saikyozero was saying.
Marinate1016 said:
Jul 5, 3:52 PM

Mar 2010
HibiChika said:
milfed at the cost of tears

Milf needed a good slap but even then again it wouldn't be enough

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 18, 5:25 AM

Feb 2017
I did enjoy it, but midway, I think it felt more... ordinary? Love Live, Idolm@ster, 22/7. Kinda the same formula with the usual "original" music-themed anime.

I'd say, making the yuri more serious would make the series 100% better and more unique. I mean, since one of the themes is about 'being different', why not just do it?
Jul 25, 10:46 PM

Feb 2020
Nice finale.

Overall, a good show. Mei is the best girl.
Jul 26, 10:34 PM

Oct 2012
Man they really speedran those plot points in the second half. Pretty cute show.
Aug 3, 10:09 PM

Jul 2023
8/10

Kano has reconciled with her mother and former members of her old group.

They were able to deliver a lovely show, and this anime ended with a bang.

I love that they have affirmed that to be your true, weird self.
Aug 6, 3:41 PM
Aug 2020
It's a music anime but the characters sing something twice every 5 episodes
This is not drama, the story is absurdly boring and the script is completely flawed
Aug 6, 9:58 PM
May 2018
High expectations because of place further than the universe. Show starts off really strong and the characters pull you in. However, after about the halfway point the show drops in terms of story for me. The ending left me scratching my head a bit as I felt the conflict wasn't dealt with very well. Overall a feel good show but one that left me slightly annoyed by the characters decisions.
Aug 16, 12:23 AM

Dec 2023
With only 1 episode left it's good they got the final battle of ultimate destiny out of the way so there's time to chill. Views, humph, views can be botted. However, Yoru has found her answer (more on this at the end)*, one that surpasses the darkness of the domicide-cheering bots.

This high-budget idol extravaganza will feature a whopping 2 songs, 1 more than usual in anime concerts. Did piano hapa forget she herself invoked the power of money before? Snaggle tooth streamer is impressed that the doxing fetish thing caught on. Kano and Yoru have their contact completely cut off like a groom waiting until the main event to see the bride dressed. Yoru doesn't even have the temperament to spoilers rescue Kano later on! They didn't even have a rehearsal for Jelee so of course Kano is going to throw.
"Sorry everyone, I'm washed. The stock price of blue umbrellas is going to crash-"
"Listen up, legendary idol puncher! Is this the best the one who broke my cheekbone can do!? For Pete's sake if you need a reason to fight do it for the aquarium of undertones! If this is your limit I'll have you taste my own fist!!!"

Young idol slaps some sense into Kano and now she can send it. Jelee did it!
10:32 - Snaggle tooth streamer just can't handle these dumb bitches while piano hapa seethes. You're right, idol. Sometimes 5D chess tsundere stonecold-face mom does have to disown a child or two for their growth. Tough love.

Where are our heroes now? Yoru's sister wants in on the grifting just as probably most of her peers do. Young doxing idol visits Kano once a year, the same time the pain on her left cheek flares up. Single mom idol found her niche of a hagmaxing fanbase. Restaurant manager is still looking for a couple of goofballs to hire while drunk sister strains her tab. Snaggle tooth streamer earned a lot more subs after the idol event shilled her channel. Piano hapa met her successor; instead of fixing her piano hapa will enjoy making her worse.
18:49 - The prodigal son returns! There's no way this dumb lesbian earned enough credits to graduate without mom pulling some strings. Oh, you thought you were going to find out the deal with Kano's dad huh? Sorry but he prefers to be an enigma wrapped within a shadow, drifting along keeping an eye on your aquatic-themed murals. Is there anything left to do besides shooting some pikpoks and returning to the love hotel? Well, Yoru did learn something about art.

*To really touch someone's soul you need to stretch your hand out to them. But stretching your arm out means you are at risk of people hurting you and hacking away at your arm...but it's the only way good art is produced! That's why bravery and some self esteem is needed to be an artist.
People are so self conscious that it is impossible for them to create good art. They don't get hurt because they keep their hand close to their chest, but they never touch anyone either. They don't make people feel, don't make them laugh, don't really do anything at all.
Art is now about the artist because the audience is scary. To be a great artist you have to desire to reach out and touch the audience but people are afraid to show any sign of sincerity. Jelee learned to be great
Aug 20, 8:34 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Well that ending wasn’t quite as rushed as I was expecting, episode was well paced and had quite the satisfying moments like the last JELEE performance and that whole last sequence of moments between the JELEE members while painting over the mural. But of course there were things I wasn’t that big a fan of in there as well, like Mahiru hanging with Yukine the whole show instead of her fellow JELEE members, that bad taste never quite left my mouth with her lol, and she was even happy in the end that she made the decision, yeah sure it turned out good but I ain’t about to forget that bullshit lol, a shame too because I really liked Mahiru before that. I also didn’t like how Yukine turned a new leaf right at the end, of course I knew it was coming but that doesn’t mean I gotta like it lol, she was quite mean in the past and even in the present when referring to Kano as her idol name, this good mommy shit ain’t working on me, that’s something you gotta earn back, but hey at least it made Kano happy and it was nice to see this huge plot point get resolved.

But, overall I liked this finale, the ending wasn’t much of an ending but that’s typical for these kind of shows, it’s nice just knowing these girls are going to continue living and improving, even if they all go their separate ways eventually. Also, that reunion between Kano and Mahiru was nice, I might give Mahiru shit but these two were so tight early on so it’s great to see them back together again, although I guess that yuri never was brought up again huh lol, had a feeling that would happen. And another thing, Kano’s dad just showed up at the very end huh, would’ve liked to know more about him but I guess he shall remain a mystery since this is the end.

And that was it, the 2nd girls music anime I missed out on from Spring 2024 is now done, I’m happy and sad at the same time because this was very very good but I’m also a little burnt out on music anime now after this and GBC back to back lol. Now after finishing both and seeing so many comparisons between the two, I can confidently say they are both very different shows, they may have similar themes and moments but they have completely different vibes from each other, even this final episode which folks said was the exact same as GBC was very different, only similar aspect being a final performance which is usually in any music anime. Now if I had to pick one over the other, I’d say GBC was a bit better, but this was still a fantastic anime despite some of my problems with it, Doga Kobo really nailed it on the production side and I really enjoyed the characters of the show as well, gonna be hard to forget the ray of sunshine that is Kano or her mad simp Kim anytime soon lol.

And people gave the drama a lot of shit, but imo it made things really interesting near the end, yeah I got pissed at Mahiru but it was fun lol, and yeah I’m also a big fan of purely cute and feel good shows with no drama but I can also appreciate some tasty drama too, and this was tasty no doubt. But I will say, I would rather watch Mahiru and Kano stay tight and be wholesome than get mad at each other lol, that’s a given. And since this is a music anime, I gotta mention the music, and that’s definitely a very very good OP and ED combo, and the JELEE songs in the anime were very nice as well, rock music like in GBC is more my style but I love these cute songs too, I’m a lover of many genres after all. And I guess with that, I say goodbye to Spring 2024 once again, as well as these girls who I’ll miss a lot, would love a 2nd season of this just to get more of them but I’m not sure how likely that is for an anime original. And I’ll probably return to this season again in the near future, not sure when exactly but I’m absolutely not done going back for stuff I missed lol.
TheColonel76Aug 20, 8:39 PM
Aug 24, 9:15 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Everything is resolved and it was nice that Kano could perform like they said with Yoru's drawings etc, their goal has been achieved + getting 50k people on the live is crazy, it was also nice to see them re-drawing the initial jellyfish art by Yoru, cute happy ending overall.
Aug 26, 7:05 AM
Mar 2020
lovely anime, boosted my motivation
Aug 27, 8:25 AM
Dec 2023
So...

...is this yuri or nah (studio/broadcast meddling halfway thru? yuribaiting?)
Aug 27, 8:26 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to BladeX05
Did they redeem every horrible person... just like that? The selfish traitor Mahiru... Mero who falsely accused Kano, ending her carrier... and that bitch mom who just used Kano?
I'm not satisfied with this. I really loved this anime at the start, but now I rate it 6/10. Shame, a real shame. It had potential, but got train-wrecked halfway.
@BladeX05 I concur
Aug 31, 1:24 PM

Mar 2012
It was good, but the start promised a new SoraYori for me, and it didn't deliver that at all.
Last few episodes just went downhill, and suddenly the doxxer and the mom being in friendly terms with Kano without displaying anything outside of them already in friendly terms substracts from the conclusion, even if it was expected as the type of show this is.
Waifus only represent ideals
Aug 31, 6:30 PM

Feb 2014
I didn´t see all this difference from 1st to 2nd half as some reviews are stating. I think the show in general kept its balance.

I did really enjoy Koharu xD I thought she would join the group or something, but unfortunately she just had 1 episode of screen time, basically.

Well, I think this anime was okay in general. I wish I could have enjoyed more though cause I saw this is somewhat different from your usual boring idol shows out there.

6/10 (would 6.5 if it were possible).
TechOtakuAug 31, 6:46 PM
Sep 8, 3:41 PM

Sep 2017
Interesting. Did they try to set up a potential sequel with the guy who looked at the jellyfish shot at the end (who I assume is the same guy they showed through the fish tank shot a few eps back)? I can't quite remember what they said about Kano's father so maybe it was just a hint at that or something else subtle. Anyway this was a decent show. I don't think the mom should be left off the hook so easily considering what she put her child through, but they really didn't give enough time to fully resolve that conflict with all the other elements of drama they wanted to add with the other members of the cast. So we get a super happy ending that I feel isn't totally deserved, but it's fine.

Basically the show needed more time to handle all the things it was trying to. An unfortunate consequence of original anime where they kinda want to have a complete season with resolved arcs, but it pretty much always ends up as 12 episodes so they get severely limited on time.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 11

131 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 27, 11:07 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 13

135 by BabyBlouie »»
Sep 9, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15

112 by Ashhk »»
Aug 24, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8

134 by Ashhk »»
Aug 23, 11:35 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Pinoffin - Jun 1

206 by Ashhk »»
Aug 23, 12:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.