Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 13, 2022 5:16 PM
May 2020
It just dawned on me whilst watching this that in anime in general they only ever have one class with which all there subjects are taught. Don’t people take different subjects from each other and aren’t they sorted into different sets based on abilities?

Edit: By the replies it seems this way is much more common than what I'm used to so I'll explain how it works in England so anyone reading this can understand my original confusion. If you can't be bothered to read all this you can probably just imagine Hogwarts without the magic. That place is essentially the same as a standard British (maybe just English) school, except you normally go home in the evening unless you're posh.

In England when we we're about 13-14 we start picking subjects to study. Some are mandatory like English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, PE. Then we pick a few extras like history, geography, politics, a language, computer science, psychology and just about anything really. Before then we do a couple years of everything to figure out what we like. The mandatory subjects are also split up into sets of abilities. So the highest performing students can work at a faster pace than those who might need a bit more help. Teachers also have there own rooms that we go to and buildings in the school are often separated by subjects or areas. So the science block and the humanities block and the languages building and so on.

This is why I found it odd they always have the same classmates for every lesson and often seem in the same room because in England we're walking around a campus-like area between lessons and all of us are have different subjects at different times and have different teachers in various different buildings.

It also strikes me as odd that every classroom in anime looks the same. There's no standard classroom in the UK and some lessons could even take place in buildings older than a lot of the countries of the people I imagine are reading this. The tables can be arranged in any way whether group like tables or desks shared between two. Its just up to the teachers discretion. Is this what its like in most countries outside the UK as well?
FreshSalmon827May 15, 2022 7:04 AM
May 13, 2022 5:25 PM
Jun 2021
I mean that's how many schools work, including the one I used to go. Of course there is a science lab, a computer lab and a gym for PE, but most subject took place in the same classroom
May 13, 2022 5:33 PM
Deez

Jul 2021
A lot of schools function this way. It wasn't until high school that I actually started shifting classrooms
May 13, 2022 5:43 PM
May 2020
Heavenly47 said:
A lot of schools function this way. It wasn't until high school that I actually started shifting classrooms

What if you study, say computer science, but a classmate of yours doesn’t and instead does politics? What if your particularly good at maths but not so good at English. You’d just hold back your classmates. Do you all just study in one room with one teacher?

From the age of about 11 my school was on a sizeable campus with various buildings you would move between depending on what subjects you had. We had the science labs, the English block, the maths block. The old Manor House that for some reason we had business and computer science classes in. The library building. The various halls for assemblies and exams and the list goes on. Pretty sure this is standard where I’m from, I can’t imagine it another way.
FreshSalmon827May 13, 2022 5:58 PM
May 13, 2022 6:03 PM
Aug 2018
FreshSalmon827 said:
Heavenly47 said:

What if you study, say computer science, but a classmate of yours doesn’t and instead does politics? What if your particularly good at maths but not so good at English. You’d just hold back your classmates. Do you all just study in one room with one teacher?

From the age of about 11 my school was on a sizeable campus with various buildings you would move between depending on what subjects you had. We had the science labs, the English bloc , the maths block. The old Manor House that for some reason we had business and computer science classes in. The library building. The various halls for assemblies and exams and the list goes on. Pretty sure this is standard where I’m from, I can’t imagine it another way.

How big is your school? That sounds more like a college campus than any middle or high school I’ve ever seen. I personally had the same experience as Heavenly47, where we didn’t have any separate classes until high school. And even then, some classes were still shared. Until then, we took all our classes each day in the same room, except for subjects with specialized rooms like the gym for PE or the lab for Science classes.
May 13, 2022 6:08 PM
May 2020
SkySmaug384 said:
FreshSalmon827 said:

From the age of about 11 my school was on a sizeable campus with various buildings you would move between depending on what subjects you had. We had the science labs, the English bloc , the maths block. The old Manor House that for some reason we had business and computer science classes in. The library building. The various halls for assemblies and exams and the list goes on. Pretty sure this is standard where I’m from, I can’t imagine it another way.

How big is your school? That sounds more like a college campus than any middle or high school I’ve ever seen. I personally had the same experience as Heavenly47, where we didn’t have any separate classes until high school. And even then, some classes were still shared. Until then, we took all our classes each day in the same room, except for subjects with specialized rooms like the gym for PE or the lab for Science classes.

I’m in a relatively rural part of England (not that anywhere in England is particularly rural). My old schools only about a 1000 or so pupils probably less. Not tiny but I don’t think that’s a large school. I think the school’s quite standard, but don’t you do different subjects to your friends and peers? How does that work if you’re all apart of just one class?

What age is a middle and high school? We don’t use those terms in the UK. What I’m talking about is a secondary school which is about 11-16 and a 6th form college which is 16-18.
May 13, 2022 6:09 PM
Mar 2021
It's different in many places
There, the students all stay in the same class till the end of the year
In other schools like in America, each student has a different schedule so they have to move around
Or at least, that's what I know
I might be wrong cuz I've only been to 1 American school
May 13, 2022 6:13 PM
Aug 2018
FreshSalmon827 said:

I’m in a relatively rural part of England (not that anywhere in England is particularly rural). My old schools only about a 1000 or so pupils probably less. Not tiny but I don’t think that’s a large school. I think the school’s quite standard, but don’t you do different subjects to your friends and peers? How does that work if you’re all apart of just one class?

I was always in relatively small schools growing up. Until I moved somewhere else for high school, the biggest my class has ever been was ~20 students. Which is a lot easier to fit into a single classroom than 1000. Maybe that’s why? I’m also from the US so maybe it’s a difference with the UK school system as opposed to the US or Japanese school systems.
May 13, 2022 6:14 PM

Oct 2021
Bro, go outside and see the world(or you could use internet & stay inside).

No way you really think all countries have the same education system.
May 13, 2022 6:30 PM
May 2020
EdgyLord666 said:

Well it might shock you to find out that I am currently using the internet to work out how the Japanese school system and those of other places work. You’re suggesting I do what I am currently doing, and answering your own trepidations as you type them. I don’t think going outside will help answer those questions anyway because I’m afraid I’ll have to admit that getting to Japan and asking someone there is slightly outside of my power as of now.

I wondered how they all managed to always have the same class because surely there’s too many subjects for everyone study? Do Japanese schools only teach a handful of broad subjects that everyone does? Does anime just simplify the reality of the fact? Are the year groups not split by ability in each subject so there can be a faster learning class and one that will need more time? These are the questions I am currently getting answered. The reason I decided to make a thread online rather than read about it after googling it, is because it might be nice from people all over the world to discuss how they’re education systems worked and I could learn about many as opposed to just one.
May 13, 2022 6:31 PM
May 2020
SkySmaug384 said:
FreshSalmon827 said:

I was always in relatively small schools growing up. Until I moved somewhere else for high school, the biggest my class has ever been was ~20 students. Which is a lot easier to fit into a single classroom than 1000. Maybe that’s why? I’m also from the US so maybe it’s a difference with the UK school system as opposed to the US or Japanese school systems.
Well it’s a thousand in the school and 7 school years. Although the last two years are a lot smaller. A class will only be 20-30 as you say.
May 13, 2022 6:33 PM
Sep 2020
can't speak for Japan but in germany it's pretty normal to have all subjects in the same room (except for biology, physics, chem, EDV)
my posters are watching me
May 13, 2022 7:06 PM
Nov 2021
FreshSalmon827 said:
It just dawned on me whilst watching this that in anime in general they only ever have one class with which all there subjects are taught. Don’t people take different subjects from each other and aren’t they sorted into different sets based on abilities?

its pretty normal. In my primary and secondary school we'd stay in one class and have pretty much all our subjects except for a few and the teachers would come to us
SawsyMikeyMay 13, 2022 7:09 PM
May 13, 2022 7:17 PM

Oct 2021
FreshSalmon827 said:
EdgyLord666 said:

Well it might shock you to find out that I am currently using the internet to work out how the Japanese school system and those of other places work. You’re suggesting I do what I am currently doing, and answering your own trepidations as you type them. I don’t think going outside will help answer those questions anyway because I’m afraid I’ll have to admit that getting to Japan and asking someone there is slightly outside of my power as of now.

I wondered how they all managed to always have the same class because surely there’s too many subjects for everyone study? Do Japanese schools only teach a handful of broad subjects that everyone does? Does anime just simplify the reality of the fact? Are the year groups not split by ability in each subject so there can be a faster learning class and one that will need more time? These are the questions I am currently getting answered. The reason I decided to make a thread online rather than read about it after googling it, is because it might be nice from people all over the world to discuss how they’re education systems worked and I could learn about many as opposed to just one.

Now that's a good questions bro, you should put it on the first post instead of forcing "Don’t people take different subjects from each other and aren’t they sorted into different sets based on abilities?"

Back in my highschool, there are two majors that we'll choose in the 2nd year, social science & natural science, you'll be grouped by the same classmate who choose the same major as you for at least 1 year, and then you'll study the same subjects for the major you choose. IIRC, oregairu also has the same education system as this.
May 13, 2022 11:26 PM
Dec 2021
That’s how schools in Asia work.
May 13, 2022 11:50 PM

Dec 2020
im pretty sure it's normal like this?? in quite a few countries at least, and i know it is in asia.

i only move "classrooms" when its pe, science/chem and I.T lol unless the teacher wants to hold the class elsewhere like the library, near the canteen etc but thats rare
May 14, 2022 12:21 AM
Jul 2021
FreshSalmon827 said:

How it is here from jk/sk-grade 8 we all take the same subjects (English, math, science, art, gym/health,music, history, and geography) and once you get into high school (grade 10-12) you can pick your own classes but you have to take English for all 4 years, math for 3, French for 1, Canadian history/geography for 1, gym for 1, and either art, drama, or music for 1 year.
May 14, 2022 1:16 AM

May 2021
Cause it doesnt matter
May 14, 2022 1:21 AM
Feb 2021
It varies based on school size/type, and nation.
May 14, 2022 1:22 AM
Feb 2022
i never knew guys had to change classes.
May 14, 2022 2:41 AM

Jul 2013
I'm from Indonesia, South East Asia. Our school system is kind of similar to Japan. I went to a public high school, so it should work as a common example. In my school, the 1st years learn the same subjects. We would move to another classroom for specific subjects, but in the end, all classes (6 in my school) take the same exact subjects.

However, it becomes different in the 2nd year. Each student decide the type of class they want. Most schools only have 2 types: natural science & social science class while some schools have an additional language class. But a student can't choose specifically what they want or not want to learn. So even though each class type learn different things, the students still can choose specific subjects.

I don't know how similar this is exactly to Japan, but I hope it gave you some insight. By the way, I went to high school almost 12 years ago, so I don't know how much have changed since I graduated in 2013.
rizqy96May 14, 2022 2:45 AM
May 14, 2022 3:09 AM

Apr 2014
Basically, both of them are studying in the same course and in the same classroom. Therefore, they will study the same subject. That's how the Japanese school system works.

FreshSalmon827 said:

You can use Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai as an example. Fumino is a genius in literature and arts but bad at math, and Rizu is a genius at math and bad at literature and arts. Both of them are studying in the same classroom and the same subjects.
何それ?意味分かんない
May 14, 2022 3:12 AM
Aug 2021
^^ the answer is roughly the same as above
May 14, 2022 9:11 AM
Aug 2021
Where I'm from, everyone takes all the same subjects from grades 1-7 (in primary school) and grades 8-9 (high school). In primary school, besides computer classes, art class where we weren't doing theory, or PE, everything was in the same class, just a different teacher would show up for their specific period. High school was different, because there we moved to a specific teacher's classroom. It's only really grades 10-12 where there's really a lot of mixing. We'd get languages as a class, but then for maths, the various sciences and arts/music, we'd all be split up into "sets", where people of a similar academic ability were grouped together.
May 14, 2022 9:21 AM

May 2021
I'm not going to say anything new but that is also the usual in South America. I suppose that the system is different on places where there are more resources to allocate so you can get better specialization, I had just some classes that I could select but it was like select group A of classes or select group B of classes instead of individual stuff like in college

May 14, 2022 3:55 PM

Sep 2020
FreshSalmon827 said:
In my middle school it was quite similar. We had one classroom and then numerous teachers will come teach at their own fixed times. People in the same grade were grouped in group A, B, C and there were separate classrooms for each of those groups

𝒮𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈, 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒸𝒶𝓃'𝓉 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓌𝒶𝓇𝒹 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝒸𝓁𝑜𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝑜𝑜𝓇 𝒷𝑒𝒽𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊. - 𝑅𝑒𝒾 𝒦𝒾𝓇𝒾𝓎𝒶𝓂𝒶

May 15, 2022 5:54 AM
Aug 2020
FreshSalmon827 said:

It didn't seem unusual to me as the school I studied in did the same. We had 4-5 common subjects and 1 extra special subject. The classrooms were grouped on the basis of extra subjects. For instance , language class like french class. But inside a classroom there'd be about 30 students with varying levels of academic intelligence. We'd only switch classrooms for computer class or labs
May 17, 2022 4:51 AM

Oct 2021
cause it's an asian school
we dont change classrooms
May 17, 2022 8:15 PM
Oct 2016
The 2 middles schools (6th to 8th grade) I went to in the US ~20 years ago had us going to different classes to learn different subjects. This continued into high school(9th-12th grade or freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior) with only the second year of high school and above being able to really pick our classes with the caveat that there were some classes we had to have a minimum amount of credits in before graduation. Foreign language, p.e. and the arts all required at least 2 years of education and theoretically you could have most of those done before becoming a junior, but you had to have math, english, science, and history every year. I think my high school was a little special in that if you were truly dedicated (and smart) you could take classes at the junior college next door for college and high school credits.
May 19, 2022 6:18 AM

Apr 2015
In my case, we also didn't usually change classes, except like P.E. or I.T. or some other special cases, usually we were just in the class. Only in my last year, when I was 18-19, were we supposed to choose all our subjects and thus the whole class system fell apart and we were just together with people who choose the same subject. This way, staying in one class is impossible so we were visiting other classrooms. That said, I was a special outlier who choose very different subjects from more than the majority of class, so I was barely with my classmates.

That said, we were mostly online because of covid, so I only experienced this for like a few weeks.

So I think it's actually more common to stay in classroom but idk.
May 22, 2022 8:44 PM

Jun 2019
I'm not japanese. But I live in asian countries.
My country have some similarities with japan about school.

So we always stay at the same class in a year. But at the next grade we may seperate at the different class.
May 22, 2022 9:11 PM

Nov 2009
In Japan (and many Asian countries)

Most schools have it as students with "their main class"

And the teachers are the ones that swap rooms to teach. (however, most schools also have one teacher for multiple subjects, they call them the "main teacher")

Doing so, each students are assigned a "seat" (desk) that they stay with for months before their "main teacher" (usually the first teacher of the day) decide to do a seat change.

While assigned with a seat, students can pretty much put all their stuff in the desk's drawer so they don't have to carry huge backpacks around, since they won't have to constantly carry books everywhere they go.

This is the main school system until students go to college/ universities, which the system then pretty much change to what we have in the US college/ universities.

___ ___ ___

Basically the Asian schools have Teachers "work" for the Students.
amlgMay 22, 2022 9:18 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
May 23, 2022 10:53 AM
꧁ marr

Sep 2014
FreshSalmon827 said:
In England when we we're about 13-14 we start picking subjects to study. Some are mandatory like English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, PE. Then we pick a few extras like history, geography, politics, a language, computer science, psychology and just about anything really. Before then we do a couple years of everything to figure out what we like. The mandatory subjects are also split up into sets of abilities. So the highest performing students can work at a faster pace than those who might need a bit more help. Teachers also have there own rooms that we go to and buildings in the school are often separated by subjects or areas. So the science block and the humanities block and the languages building and so on.

This is why I found it odd they always have the same classmates for every lesson and often seem in the same room because in England we're walking around a campus-like area between lessons and all of us are have different subjects at different times and have different teachers in various different buildings.

It also strikes me as odd that every classroom in anime looks the same. There's no standard classroom in the UK and some lessons could even take place in buildings older than a lot of the countries of the people I imagine are reading this. The tables can be arranged in any way whether group like tables or desks shared between two. Its just up to the teachers discretion. Is this what its like in most countries outside the UK as well?

That's kinda how it works in NL too. After like middle school equivalent i think (we call it basisschool, groep 1 t/m 8) you go to high school (middelbare school), where you're already divided based on abilities/learning skills. The "major" groups are VMBO (4 years), HAVO (5 years) and VWO (6 years, either English orientated (tweetalig), with lots of subjects being given in English or just plain dutch). Then after I think two (VMBO) or three (HAVO and VWO) years you pick which subjects you want to focus on, which some being obligated indeed. Like Dutch, English, maths and P.E. Within the classes you pick, there isn't really another dividing between "levels", no A.P. classes or anything.

But VMBO, HAVO and VWO kids don't mix within class. So I guess that's the dividing already done.
And yeah, teachers generally have their own rooms, and you go to their rooms. Teachers usually stay and students move.

LIFE IS CRAZY AND SO ARE YOU
♫♫♫

Jun 4, 2022 5:38 PM
Dec 2019
Always has been 😐, you see the same thing in many other school setting anime 😑 unless it's PE or practical lesson 😮
ViewlandJun 4, 2022 5:41 PM
Jun 4, 2022 6:25 PM

May 2021
FreshSalmon827 said:

Yes, it absolutely can happen. Especially in middle school and lower. Its the individual teachers who move around rather than entire classes. In high school, there is a bigger variety of choices which complicate things a bit. But just the year before the varieties are included, you are supposed to fill a form laying down your finalised choice of subjects and your classes are decided based on that for the sake of convenience. Obviously, there are going to be exceptions, like computer classes being held in the computer lab, P.E. classes occurring in the playground for the purpose of practical demonstration. Sometimes, there can be different language students in the same class so they would have to split up and join with other classes for the lessons. But that's about it.

I hope that cleared up things for you.

Jun 19, 2022 4:34 AM

Dec 2018
Heavenly47 said:

that's crazy, i started shifting classes in 5th or 6th grade. although i think it's probably more efficient to have everyone in one class.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2022

112 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Today, 8:55 AM

Poll: » Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2022

113 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Oct 7, 3:41 AM

Poll: » Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2022

144 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Oct 5, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2022

139 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Oct 3, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2022

147 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Oct 3, 6:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.