Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2010 5:47 AM

Jul 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It took so long for Athrun to realize which is the best path...but it's one of my favourite episodes :)

Jun 3, 2010 5:37 PM

May 2010
I didn't like it because it only shows Athrun as a second-time defector. It doesn't do well for his character. Athrun should find his own path without having either Dullindal, Kira, and Cagalli influencing his decisions. So for Athrun to start out as ZAFT, then switch to Orb, then back to ZAFT, and goes back to Orb's side, shows his weaknesses as a character.
Aug 23, 2010 7:55 AM
Jan 2009
kanon-chan said:
I didn't like it because it only shows Athrun as a second-time defector. It doesn't do well for his character. Athrun should find his own path without having either Dullindal, Kira, and Cagalli influencing his decisions. So for Athrun to start out as ZAFT, then switch to Orb, then back to ZAFT, and goes back to Orb's side, shows his weaknesses as a character.

agree
May 4, 2011 7:05 AM

Feb 2009
One of my favourite episodes, if not favourite. Just half an episode but it expresses Meyrin/Meer's character/personality to a large extent.
Nov 20, 2012 7:14 AM

Jul 2012
Great episode.
May 11, 2013 5:11 PM

Nov 2011
Lmao, I can't believe that old school shower trick worked. Anyways, series has taken the cat and mouse route now and Athrun better knows what he's doing.
Jan 24, 2014 10:24 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Finally Athrun has figured out that it won't work with him being with ZAFT. I don't think that him switching around due to other people's influences shows his weakness as a character. He's always been the type to believe in something, but then realize that not everything is as it seems so then he switches sides. He really believed that Durandal was trying to achieve peace in the right way, and with Cagalli screwing up at Orb, Athrun obviously would've stayed with ZAFT rather than going back. It just took time for him to choose between ZAFT or Archangel since Archangel was confusing everything anyways. But yeah, maybe weakness as a person, but not weakness as a character. That's just how he's always been.

Rey is like a devout Durandal follower...no wonder he hated Athrun since he was always so suspicious of him. Damn, Legend is in the hands of Rey, don't know how I feel about that. This won't go smoothly for Athrun and Meyrin.
Feb 14, 2014 8:17 PM
Mar 2013
One of my favorite episodes as well.

kanon-chan said:

"Excuse me Athrun, we're security. We're here to ask you a few questions". A few questions my foot!

Athrun didn't betray ZAFT, they betrayed him! He'd be a fool to stay and let them take him into custody (and probably execute him like they planned to execute the real Lacus).

Athrun really is an interesting character. He may seem indecisive and switching back and forth between ZAFT and Orb but you have to remember his circumstances are much different from that of a common soldier. He's always been on the side he believes is promoting peace.

Remember what Rey said a few episodes ago? Everything is relative, an enemy today is like a friend tomorrow. To suggest that switching sides is Athrun's weakness is a gross mis-statement of his character.

However, I will admit that one problem I have with Athrun is that he takes his sweet time making decisions. The series is almost 75% completed before he finally decides to abandon Zaft.

In his defence though, Durandal is pretty good at hiding his true intentions. Even now we (the viewers) still don't have a clear idea of what exactly his plans are for the future. We just know he'll do anything to make his plan work, even if it means executing the people standing in his way.
emeraldrosaryFeb 14, 2014 8:21 PM
Jun 20, 2014 6:08 AM

May 2011
Okay, it may be slightly unreliable as I have watched this episode in more than 1 year already, but this episode really left an etch in my memory as compared to the rest of GSD episodes as it went in a unique direction, a direction that is different to the trend of both Seed and Destiny combined. The characterisation of Athrun was brought to its highest point (it just went downhill subsequently sadly), and it is a great job well executed to bring in the minor characters into picture, especially Meyrin and Meer.Given the duties of Cagalli, I would in fact prefer Athrun to end up with Meyrin as it signifies a stringent, yet rejuvenating relationship, though barely developed and unexplored throughout the entirety of the series.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Aug 13, 2014 5:53 PM

Nov 2008
Like others have alluded to, I feel like this was an outstanding episode, probably the best SEED Destiny episode so far.

I feel like all the setup for the series so far is starting to pay off. Athrun finally had the courage to break free from Durandal's spell, and it led to some outstanding scenes and action sequences in this episode.

If all of this leads up to a Athrun vs. Shinn Gundam fight, then they've done a good job making me want to see that. Athrun and Shinn have been barely able to tolerate each other from episode 1. They've hit each other. They've insulted each other. Shinn tried to kill Athrun's best friend. And now we're starting to see how they're going to end up in a potential fight to the death.

We're also starting to see what Rey is really about, after he's spent long stretches of this whole series doing nothing. We know he has some past relationship with Durandal. We see how he enables Shinn's bad decisions at every single turn (helping him escape with Stella, helping him devise the strategy to beat Kira, defending him against Athrun), and now we see him openly trying to kill Athrun without hesitation.

Rey has some dark secrets, maybe related to the cloning lab (didn't he have some of those psychic moments when he met Neo? Like that Mu and Rau had as well?). We're going to learn a lot more about him as we head down the final stretch, I'm sure.

Really have no complaints about this episode. I wish the whole series was this good.
Sep 21, 2014 12:04 AM

Jul 2008
So Rey is just a Chairman spy, and the Chairman really showed his colors, now they are really in trouble with him just flying a zaku.

And also Meer is an idiot.
May 27, 2015 7:51 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching)

Best-girl Meyrin finally gets her screen time. <3

Athrun could have revealed that Meer is a fake right in front of Shinn. Good thing he didn't, Gil would just have tried to kill him sooner. Athrun also reveals why Gil want's him, seed mode (though he didn't directly say it). Meer, like so many, are content in their assigned roles.
Aug 19, 2015 3:16 PM
Jul 2018
I also thought this episode was one of the best so far.
I really hope Athrun kicks Shinn's ass.
Apr 26, 2016 5:36 PM

Jul 2010
I loved everything about this episode, man what an escape, intense as fuck.
Jun 8, 2016 10:12 AM

Nov 2008
Myerin was cute, I would hate to see her die.
Sep 14, 2017 10:33 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
I LIKE THIS EPISODE A LOT! Damnnnn Meyrin gone with him Athrun too XD
張大です for 張大勇督察
Nov 9, 2017 12:29 PM
Nov 2016
Did anyone else pick up on the part where the chairman said that Kira left Lacus(Meer) and that led her to take ZAFTs side? I thought that was really strange, the chairmans basically implying that Kira and Lacus were together right in front of Shinn.. who thinks that Athrun and Lacus are still engaged... just found it really weird! Other than that, great episode since Athrun finally got his act together. Can't believe there's people on this thread that support Athrun and Meyrin though...
Mar 8, 2018 7:12 PM

Sep 2011
oh hey an alright episode at least compared to the fucking disaster that has been pretty much everything since episode 28, still alot of this falls flat and would of been more interesting had the lead up been better. This all feels like it should of happened a while ago and it also feels like this should be time to develop shinn but they wont.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 26, 2021 1:13 PM

Apr 2016
Glad to see Athrun is finally out of that den of curs and going home to his real family. Too bad Meyrin's sister was left behind. She is literally the only sympathetic character left on board the Minerva besides Arthur... which gives me a sense of dread in that they're going to go down with the ship.

"But why?" lmao. Oh wow, the anti-authoritarian who expressed disatisfaction with our authoritarian idealogy who I gloated to about killing his comrades and fiance, has decided to defect back to his freedom loving friends! Who could have predicted this?

kanon-chan said:

emeraldrosary said:
I will admit that one problem I have with Athrun is that he takes his sweet time making decisions. The series is almost 75% completed before he finally decides to abandon Zaft.

Athrun joins whichever is the best faction available at the moment. At the beginning of the series, joining ZAFT was the right move for Athrun. The Earth Union was trying to commit genocide against his people. Orb was unwilling to oppose the Earth Union. That made ZAFT literally the only faction at the time that was standing up to the Earth Union, and ZAFT was pretty squeaky clean. It was only until after Athrun had rejoined ZAFT that the Archangel reemerged onto the scene, and it was only until a few episodes ago that ZAFT started crossing into morally grey territory by trying to destroy the Archangel, and Durandal's iffy idea of pinning the Earth Union's hostility towards the PLANTs on the military industrial complex.

Had Orb opposed the Earth Union since the beginning of the season, Athrun would have stuck with Orb.

Xmidknightfire said:
Other than that, great episode since Athrun finally got his act together. Can't believe there's people on this thread that support Athrun and Meyrin though...

Meyrin has had interactions with Athrun in recent memory. The last time we saw Athrun and Cagalli together was in episode 7.
Oct 29, 2021 12:57 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I feel like Athrun needs actual resolve and not be indecisive.

So far, I like the episodes that don't focus on too much action and more on the characters the most.
Dec 28, 2023 4:06 AM

Jul 2017
This was my favorite episode of the show, i love how they handled the character of Athrun and even the side characters like meer and Meyrin.
Now the true face of Durandal Is shown, but we don't know yet his plans, a very cool, eloquent and manipulative character.
This show is not great but i don't think it's the worst thing ever as the fandom says, if se forget about Shinn...
''Touch the darkness inside me''

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny Episode 46 Discussion

gohdan - Oct 3, 2010

21 by ChangKang6 »»
Oct 12, 4:15 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny Episode 45 Discussion

gohdan - Oct 2, 2010

15 by ChangKang6 »»
Oct 12, 3:50 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny Episode 40 Discussion

gohdan - Sep 28, 2010

15 by ChangKang6 »»
Oct 8, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny Episode 39 Discussion

gohdan - Sep 27, 2010

26 by ChangKang6 »»
Oct 3, 3:35 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny Episode 4 Discussion

gohdan - Aug 6, 2010

10 by Lunosa »»
Sep 29, 5:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.