Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2009 10:38 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Focker lives up to his name.

Minmay is so annoying, as all teen idols must be.

Plot is getting more interesting now. And that was such a politican thing to do with Hayase's father's letter. Shove civilians in harms way but keep your family out of danger, typical.

Minmay's cousin should mix things up.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 5, 2009 9:53 AM

Feb 2009
Finally good episode, the last couple of episodes were a very dull episode and a recap episode,this one builds up the plot and was rather interesting, let's what misadventures await Macross.
Oct 5, 2009 10:19 AM
Sep 2007
Beatnik said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Focker lives up to his name.

Minmay is so annoying, as all teen idols must be.

Plot is getting more interesting now. And that was such a politican thing to do with Hayase's father's letter. Shove civilians in harms way but keep your family out of danger, typical.

Minmay's cousin should mix things up.
Focker is one of manliest anime characters.

As for Minmay, you either love her, or she annoys you.
For me, she's a legend of Macross.
Jan 8, 2011 11:36 PM

Aug 2008
sucks to be anyone on the Macross right now. Especially Hikaru, that's a really awkward situation.
Mar 11, 2011 7:14 AM

May 2008
So everyone on Macross was told to be dead? That's really sucks for them~
How can Minmay be so annoying?
May 3, 2011 9:14 PM

Jun 2009
Minmay isn't really annoying per say, she's just childish and how can she honestly not see how Hikaru feels for her? It's incredibly obvious...Anyway, it seems as though the people aboard the Macross are getting royally screwed over. I'm glad Misa just tore up the letter..
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 16, 2011 6:40 PM

Apr 2009
Great! You Macross civilians were declared dead anyway, so why not stay dead eh? X(

I don't know why but I didn't like Minmay's cousin one bit when he appeared and judging from the preview he'll become a pain in the ass aboard Macross. Hikaru should confess his feelings to Minmay already and if it wouldn't work out, at least he'd be spared from further emotional pains in the future.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 22, 2011 11:38 PM

Nov 2010
I'll have to jump aboard the "I don't like Minmay" bandwagon too.

So shallow and vapid. Only thinking about her fans and her celebrity, completely oblivious to everything around her.

I hope Hikaru gets bored of her and they both do their own thing. She's important to the ship and the people on board, but I just can't help rolling my eyes at almost everything she says.
Nov 24, 2011 1:57 PM

Feb 2010
tofei said:
Great! You Macross civilians were declared dead anyway, so why not stay dead eh? X(

I don't know why but I didn't like Minmay's cousin one bit when he appeared and judging from the preview he'll become a pain in the ass aboard Macross. Hikaru should confess his feelings to Minmay already and if it wouldn't work out, at least he'd be spared from further emotional pains in the future.

Yea her cousim seemed quite annoying and I didn't like him at all.
Sheepshaman.png
Jun 14, 2012 3:09 AM
May 2012
He's a hippy. Hippies are annoying in general
Jun 27, 2012 7:04 PM

May 2010
Fuck, a pacifist? Normally I'd love guys like him, but this is just the wrong time, he's going to be annoying.
“Money can't buy dere”
Oct 30, 2012 6:03 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
After their overwhelming feelings of happiness and relief at being back on Earth, this episode just goes to show that you have to be careful what you wish for. In some ways, they're in a sadder situation than before, being declared dead like that.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 23, 2013 2:54 AM

Feb 2010
I thought the cousin was in some sort of (secret) opposition to U.N. Obviously, he has an agenda in any case.
I don't see how Minmay is annoying. She is not that vain like an idol could be.
Misa's father dissapoints her big time. Me, I would be immensely proud to have such daughter. At least Commander Global plays a good role as her senior.
U.N. leaders play a dangerous game, since all their planet could be utterly destroyed by aliens if they make a mistake. But then they may be be buying time for something significant yet.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Oct 9, 2013 6:53 PM

Oct 2007
oh look the UN is just as big of a piece of shit in fiction as it is in real life.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2013 1:27 AM
Jul 2010
Insan3Heisenberg said:
Minmay isn't really annoying per say, she's just childish and how can she honestly not see how Hikaru feels for her? It's incredibly obvious...

Well, as she herself said in episode 4 during the shower scene:
"Maybe I teased him too much."

She is clearly just toying with him.

tofei said:
Hikaru should confess his feelings to Minmay already and if it wouldn't work out, at least he'd be spared from further emotional pains in the future.

Confess what? For all he knows, they are dating already. Heck, they already had a wedding ceremony for Heaven's sake!

Jezmund said:
I'll have to jump aboard the "I don't like Minmay" bandwagon too.

I didn't like her ever since her birthday episode. Hikaru proudly announces he got promoted and introduced his new two subordinates. Her reaction? To exclaim, in front of Hikaru how handsome Maximilian is and spend the rest of the visit closely together with him, almost feeling him up.

If there's something I like about Minmay is how congruent her character is depicted throughout the story. As early as episode 4 you can see a lot of foreshadowing about what is gonna happen with her. Now that I think about it, the ending of that episode is, in fact, a very ominous warning about her future behavior.
Mar 31, 2014 1:26 AM

Jan 2011
As the ship idol, and the mainstay of the morale efforts for both the crew and the civilians, I can see it feasible that they would let Minmay go home for a brief visit. Vicariously living through the actions of celebrities is a great way to pacify the masses after all...

The flirting with her cousin in front of Hikaru was just cruel though... However I can see it very likely that she'll flirt with Hikaru in front of her cousin as well. We did see a much more honest relationship between Fokker and the communications officer, even if they are keeping it pretty quiet. And Misa and Captain Global clearly are pretty straight arrows, but I think they're going to be hung out to dry by the UN forces.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

May 18, 2015 6:12 PM

Mar 2014
I actually really like when Minmay stands up to her parents and firmly asserts herself and her desire to follow her dreams. It makes me like her a lot more and I think especially for the time this show was created, it's refreshing to see a female character show agency and take charge of her own destiny rather than be told what to do.

So the UN's role in this show is basically the legion of doom. Misa's father is pretty spineless throwing away the lives of tens of thousands of people but then requesting in private that his daughter come back. Guess politicians will do what politicians do best.
Aug 21, 2015 4:46 PM

May 2013
I kind of guessed that the meeting would go bad since the show seemed to place a ton of emphasis on the camera a couple episodes ago, but i didn't think it'd be that bad.

I really hope Hikaru gives up on Minmay now that he knows for sure that there is no relationship, just friends.
Nov 8, 2015 3:03 AM

Jan 2014
LOL. Minmay's cousin is as hawt as her :3
Jun 24, 2016 4:56 PM

Apr 2014
What wrong with telling the world aliens are may probably or will invade Earth?

People go nuts with signs reading end of the world.
Chaos Everywhere.... I would probably enjoy my life to the fullness.
Anyway you guys are stupid and you should tell the world about it and let the refugees out.
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
Feb 14, 2017 5:24 PM
Jul 2018
Global's skin colour changed part way through.

Minmay is one obnoxious bitch. She lead him on with the marriage thing in an earlier episode, and was even linking arms with him in this episode, but then says "we're just friends" and gets all close with her cousin. Even if Hayase is a bit of a vixen, she's a far better choice than Minmay.
Aug 10, 2017 9:22 AM

Dec 2015
The way the leaders meeting was made was great: the cuts, the way they were intertwined with the rest and the notes each time a new scene started with the clock.
Macross people becoming space runaways? If you liked that, you could check Ideon (series+theatrical finale) @CodeBlazeFate .

Kaifun finally enters the "game". But I want more of other characters (the "spies" namely).

4/5 "We don't have this kind of relationship." You all heard? Nah!
(I wonder how you can blame her at her age given the opportunities that just started to blossom for her. Of course, she'll probably regret it later)

July 14, 2020
St0rmblade said:
Imagine hating Minmay. MAL is really a wonderful site to learn new things about what people think of anime.

So, you just noticed? XD
And yes, I plead guilty: I mosly run through discussions for that kind of thing. It can annoy me but it's also pretty fun. They are usually after both the "courted"/courtship making male and the more "active" female. Do you know the famous love-triangle series "Orange Road"? Well, MALers are far from nice there too.

@St0rmblade
It's the internet, amplifying the actually less common opinions : "normal" people now, and even more back then, loved Minmei. She was highly popular. Same problem I noticed with Ple.
It also happens with popular shows: Orange Road was insanely popular, whatever country it was broadcasting in. On this website, since people judge it primarily as something it isn't, it passes as a relic for people that only like old things.

About this series: it may not have robots nor space, but it's a great 80s series. ;) (certainly not a masterpiece, even though I love it unconditionally)
Rei_IIIJul 14, 2020 2:43 AM
Oct 20, 2017 4:27 AM

Nov 2016
Very good episode which is moving the plot forward.

So the higher ups declared the civilians as dead and don't want the whole pooulation to learn the truth,typical scheme...but I'm curious to see how the story plays out from here.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 23, 2017 12:11 AM

Feb 2014
80's anime sure liked annoying teases and frustrating love triangles. Hikaru might be a bit of a dumbass, but even he deserves better than being lead on by a cruel, inconsiderate bitch. And I don't buy that she's just being fickle and carefree, considering she tried to guilt trip Hikaru back in one of the earlier episodes into not just marrying her, but even committing a lover's suicide.

I get the whole "a person is smart, people are dumb, panicky dangerous animals " logic the UN is using, but if the planet could get blown up any moment by warmongering aliens, then the people have every right to know it.
Sep 8, 2019 7:19 AM

Feb 2012
Ohh another corner in the Love Polygon...

UN Spacy giving Kaifun some fodder.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 23, 2020 11:32 AM

Feb 2017
Higher-ups are typical higher-ups, sucks for people of Macross.
Didn't expect an introduction of a cousin love-interest.
Jul 12, 2020 7:16 AM

Aug 2017
I have a feeling that Minmay mentioned her cousin at some point, but I'm not sure.

Also, imagine hating Minmay. MAL is really a wonderful site to learn new things about what people think of anime.

-----------

@Rei_III Well, I was ready to write off the distaste for Minmay as an episode-specific thing, but the more I watched and read the discussions, the more it seemed like the hate is consistent :p Really funny to often find myself liking (or at least tolerating) the opposite of what many people like.

Heard about Orange Road, but never watched it.
St0rmbladeJul 14, 2020 2:31 AM
Sep 25, 2021 11:40 AM

Apr 2011
I liked how we got to see more of Claudia - and that she’s sleeping with Senpai!
Feb 9, 2022 6:52 PM

May 2020
I liked when Hayase suddenly swapped voices with Claudia during the UN Conference.
Somehow this episode seemed weirder than all the others.
HighPriestJonkoFeb 9, 2022 6:55 PM
Jonko
Level 3 Human Priest
Chaotic Good
Rogue Treasure-Hunter

Aug 7, 2022 4:23 PM

Dec 2021
I'm just hoping the inevitable ego check for Minmay slaps her upside the head hard enough. Hikaru going missing for weeks obviously whiffed xD

Sep 24, 2022 6:38 PM

Mar 2018
Rather than Vermillion squadron or Skull squadron, I'd love to see the infamous Sex 9 Squadron into action... lol

Jun 26, 2023 11:02 PM

Feb 2023
Holy shit, the friend zone is too strong. I actually feel sad for Hikaru lol

Vhailor said:
80's anime sure liked annoying teases and frustrating love triangles. Hikaru might be a bit of a dumbass, but even he deserves better than being lead on by a cruel, inconsiderate bitch. And I don't buy that she's just being fickle and carefree, considering she tried to guilt trip Hikaru back in one of the earlier episodes into not just marrying her, but even committing a lover's suicide.

I get the whole "a person is smart, people are dumb, panicky dangerous animals " logic the UN is using, but if the planet could get blown up any moment by warmongering aliens, then the people have every right to know it.

tbh know and do that?

obv it was a different time, but if today they say there are aliens going to explode the earth flat earths would see an increase in membership!

Seabury said:
Fuck, a pacifist? Normally I'd love guys like him, but this is just the wrong time, he's going to be annoying.

he seems less of a pacifist and more of anti-war

considering the comment about "comfort women" from her father I guess it makes sense where it comes from

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veethorn - Oct 7, 2009

58 by Nicoman- »»
Oct 13, 12:28 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 29 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 7, 2009

33 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 19, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starseeker - Feb 15, 2009

72 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 18, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 26 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 6, 2009

38 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 18, 9:28 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 25 Discussion

starseeker - Feb 14, 2009

46 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 18, 8:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.