Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 9, 2008 7:56 AM

Jun 2008
I was discussing this show with an acquaintance recently, and he was complaining about how bad the manga was. Much to my own surprise, I found myself agreeing with him, despite having initially having had a favourable impression to the manga. Of course, that was some years back... and when I dug it out to read again, I found that I really do not like the manga at all.

The emphasis on the weakest character in the show (Hachimaki), the absurdly bad pacing, the absolutely hilarious plot events, and the horrible lack of any coherent ending as well as a meaning to the work itself - I was not surprised at the fact that my opinion had changed over the years (higher standards with increasing exposure and all that), but rather, how elegantly Taniguchi Goro has made the anime into a work of fine art, with the few flaws I can recall being direct hanger-ons from the manga.

What does MAL think?
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Jan 6, 2009 7:50 PM

Nov 2008
The manga is better. It had a mature plot (appropriately categorized as seinen) and did not have play with "teenage emotions" such as love triangles and also did not have the absurd terrorist conspiracy plot.
Jan 7, 2009 1:31 AM

Jan 2008
arimakenshin said:
and did not have play with "teenage emotions" such as love triangles

Love squares I think it was actually. The anime literally begins with filler and is so stuffed with filler plots and characters it barely qualifies as an adaptation.

Plus it had space ninja.

Fuck the anime.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 7, 2009 5:48 AM

Nov 2008
Cihan said:
arimakenshin said:
and did not have play with "teenage emotions" such as love triangles

Love squares I think it was actually. The anime literally begins with filler and is so stuffed with filler plots and characters it barely qualifies as an adaptation.

Plus it had space ninja.

Fuck the anime.

Those were exactly my emotions when I finished the anime. I only gave it a 7 because it still managed to be better than some of the anime out there and it was enjoyable for the first half. :P

Remember the "catfight on a distant planet" scene? A disgrace to the manga! Blasphemy!
arimakenshinJan 7, 2009 5:51 AM
Jan 7, 2009 8:18 AM

Jan 2008
I dropped it at episode 12. I just couldnt take it anymore. I'm not a stubborn purist when it comes to adaptations, I know the ins and outs of it all, I know how difficult it is to make a transition from page to screen, I know sacrifices have to be made. What they did to Planetes was disgraceful and unnecessary, those filler characters were like screwdrivers being driven into my ears and eyes.

Every change they made was so so unnecessary, they took a manga that had enough material for 26 episodes anyway and padded it out with garbage.

And on top of it the OP sucks donkey balls too.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 7, 2009 10:35 PM

Jan 2008
I treat them as totally separate works that stand well their own right even if they happen to share the same name, characters, and some of the same events. I can honestly say that I enjoyed both, but for entirely different reasons and on entirely different emotional/mental levels.

Jan 8, 2009 4:29 AM

Jun 2008
Cihan said:
Every change they made was so so unnecessary, they took a manga that had enough material for 26 episodes anyway and padded it out with garbage.

I don't know about you, but I find mildly annoying garbage superior to mock-beautiful and pretentious, yet equally non-satisfying "plot".

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Jan 8, 2009 7:03 AM

Jan 2008
turkeymeister said:
I don't know about you, but I find mildly annoying garbage superior to mock-beautiful and pretentious, yet equally non-satisfying "plot".

I...I dont even know what to say to that. If all you're praising about the show is the filler material then Planetes without the 'pretentious' plot of the manga is nothing but a stupid fantastical romance comedy like Love Hina In Space or something. I mean you have a manga in your hands, your job is to animate it, and you think that adding love squares, squeaky/annoying caricatures and faux-Naruto-imitating ninja will make it better?

'Pretentious' is the laziest form of criticisim too, we're gonna need more of your opinion on the manga to get where you're coming from. I've already made it clear where I'm coming from: every change in the anime is shallow and dumbed down to lowest common denominator viewers, it robs the story of realism that the manga was praised for, it cheapens the whole thing and renders it cliched whereas the manga was fresh. Obviously I'm not saying every frame of the anime is garbage, just anything that wasnt in the manga, the filler writing is that bad, and the original author is just that good.
Jan 9, 2009 3:06 AM

Jun 2008
Cihan said:
I...I dont even know what to say to that. If all you're praising about the show is the filler material then Planetes without the 'pretentious' plot of the manga is nothing but a stupid fantastical romance comedy like Love Hina In Space or something. I mean you have a manga in your hands, your job is to animate it, and you think that adding love squares, squeaky/annoying caricatures and faux-Naruto-imitating ninja will make it better?

I wasn't praising the filler material. I was saying that I considered the filler material better than the excuse for the plot that the manga had.

'
Pretentious' is the laziest form of criticisim too, we're gonna need more of your opinion on the manga to get where you're coming from. I've already made it clear where I'm coming from: every change in the anime is shallow and dumbed down to lowest common denominator viewers, it robs the story of realism that the manga was praised for, it cheapens the whole thing and renders it cliched whereas the manga was fresh. Obviously I'm not saying every frame of the anime is garbage, just anything that wasnt in the manga, the filler writing is that bad, and the original author is just that good.

I consider the manga superior because it actually manages to bring the show to a coherent ending, with a consistent and clear theme being enumerated, rather than the incoherent babbling that was the manga plot.

formosan said:
Jan 16, 2009 8:23 PM
Jun 2007
Taniguchi Goro is a horrible director !!! WTF U TALIKNG BOUT???

Jan 16, 2009 9:57 PM

Jun 2008
erotic_turtle said:
Taniguchi Goro is a horrible director !!! WTF U TALIKNG BOUT???

Elaborate kthx.

formosan said:
Jan 16, 2009 10:06 PM
Jun 2007
u havent laborated on your reasons why should i ?
Jan 17, 2009 1:47 AM

Jun 2008
erotic_turtle said:

I have.

*Ba-dum PISH*

formosan said:
Jan 23, 2009 12:57 AM

Oct 2007
Cyan said:

Childish.
Jan 25, 2009 3:11 AM
Jun 2007
Hikari-tan said:
Cyan said:

Childish.

Moron.
Jan 25, 2009 8:54 PM

Jun 2008
Cyan said:
Hikari-tan said:

Childish.

Moron.

He that will not reason is a bigot, he that cannot reason is a fool, and he that dares not reason is a slave.

formosan said:
Sep 1, 2009 5:26 AM

Sep 2008
turkeymeister said:
I

The emphasis on the weakest character in the show (Hachimaki), the absurdly bad pacing, the absolutely hilarious plot events, and the horrible lack of any coherent ending as well as a meaning to the work itself - I was not surprised at the fact that my opinion had changed over the years (higher standards with increasing exposure and all that),

Reading your first line makes me think you havent read the manga properly, or not at all.' Emphasis on the weakest character hachimiki'?hachimiki may be the weakest one in the anime but reading the manga made me feel that there is almost no similarity between his manga version and the anime one. Its as if they were two different people. His character in the anime was just meh compared to the manga version.And fyi, the manga was as much focused on fei as it was on hachi, who's on the spotlight for only about half the series, if not less.

I've only seen like 3 episodes of the anime so I cant really give a good strong opinion on the topic. But after having read the manga, I think I agree with beatnik and areemakenshin completely at this point.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Sep 11, 2009 1:48 PM

Jan 2008
I haven't read the manga, but if you dropped the series at episode 12 then you made a grave mistake. I didn't even really enjoy the first half of it, but the second half is a masterpiece.

Sep 11, 2009 2:08 PM

Dec 2007
The Planetes anime and manga can both be enjoyed for different reasons. The manga is a more seinen approach to work, love, and driving for ones goal (like Hachimaki wanting to be selected as an astronaut), whereas the anime had some really goofy stuff as a comedy.

Personally, I find the manga to be much higher in quality in the anime, but like I said, both can be enjoyed.
Apr 17, 2010 2:34 PM
Sep 2009
No way in hell is the manga better than the anime.

The character and story developments and the emotional impacts cannot even be compared on the same level.

For example, Tanabe and Hakim never have any depth in the manga; therefore you never had the emotional impacts that you have in the anime.

A lot of people are just there to disagree because the show did not 100% follow the manga. These kinds people are freaking everywhere, which can be seen from ALL the posts above, either disagree due to the changes or didnt even finish the anime.
icefaiiApr 17, 2010 2:38 PM
Apr 22, 2010 10:10 AM

May 2007
I loved the anime but I watched it years ago and I was reminded of it a few days ago by a friend......I was at a lost of what I wanted to watch and so I thought I should try something that I remember good but not fully remembering. I even re-watched all of One Piece in one month about 2-3 months ago. ;)

The anime first half and second half can literally be split into 2 different series and I enjoyed both halves but I think the 2nd half was a lot more mature.

Beatnik, its a real shame you stopped at ep12 because the series is really good after that point, but I guess you will still view watching the rest of the series a waste of time and probably will never finish it, which is just sad because in my honest opinion it deserves to be watched.

The anime's ending pretty much follows volume 3 of the manga's ending with a bit more added in for it to be more satisfying. I kinda enjoyed Claire-chan presence but she is a really weird woman, oh yeah, she's an anime-only character......I feel kind of sorry for her in the end. I think thats the only real problem I had with the anime is Claire's role.....but the series was meant to be realistic, so I guess its a good thing they way things turned out in a way. ;)
Apr 23, 2010 6:10 PM

Feb 2010
icefaii said:
No way in hell is the manga better than the anime.

The character and story developments and the emotional impacts cannot even be compared on the same level.

For example, Tanabe and Hakim never have any depth in the manga; therefore you never had the emotional impacts that you have in the anime.

A lot of people are just there to disagree because the show did not 100% follow the manga. These kinds people are freaking everywhere, which can be seen from ALL the posts above, either disagree due to the changes or didnt even finish the anime.

Well said. One of the aspects I loved about Planetes was how realistically it presented its space environment. While I admit the anime was corny at times, it felt much more refined than the manga. IMHO the story told by Planetes simply works better on the screen.
Oct 13, 2010 11:38 PM

Jun 2009
If you are after for the original plot go for the manga. The anime was like an alternative story for the Planetes, but both of it was satisfactory

I've enjoyed both anime (9/10) and manga (9/10) even though how the plot really differs from each other, in which the manga is very mature than anime. But since it's in space the animation and art overscored the manga.. actually I got bored reading chapter 23-25.. I got confused watching after reading it.

There are so many ending for the story Planetes, the universe is really vast and you can imagine a lot could happen. They should be a lot of fillers since this type of genre is all about exploration and in space

NOT ALL MANGA ARE BETTER THAN THE ANIME
NOT ALL ANIME ARE BETTER THAN THE MANGA
ZinvyOct 13, 2010 11:47 PM
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Oct 29, 2010 12:02 PM

Oct 2010
they both sucked. argument resolved
Oct 29, 2010 12:09 PM

Oct 2010
JCDRANZER said:
but the series was meant to be realistic, so I guess its a good thing they way things turned out in a way. ;)

dont get why animu ppl think " realistic" or" mature" is relevant to good story telling. well most you guys havent dropped ur balls yet

More topics from this board

» Planetes is a gem

TeBaTe - Oct 6, 2022

35 by TeBaTe »»
Oct 16, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 22, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 20 Discussion

aero - Sep 5, 2008

45 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 21, 5:23 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 18, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 18 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

41 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 18, 11:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.