Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 18, 2010 5:42 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great last episode! Probably my favorite of the entire series. However I can't help but feel the first episodes were better.

Overall funny, enjoyable and goofy series with cool characters. Aged well.
Apr 19, 2012 8:14 AM

Jan 2010
nice end ^__^
BOOM ! )))
poor Zenigata XDD

All in all, It's really good anime.
Lupin is very charismatic character:D
Apr 27, 2012 7:58 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, Lupin has to be one of the most out right likable characters I've ever seen.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 5, 2012 10:03 PM

Jun 2010
Wow, the visual goofiness is very high for this one even by the standards of this series. Seems an appropriate way to end things.

Lupin III will return in a red jacket!
Sep 25, 2012 2:13 AM

Aug 2011
Loved this episode. Ended it on quite the high note. 5/5 for one of the best episodes of the series, and a 10/10 for one of the greatest anime of all time.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Sep 25, 2012 1:07 PM

Feb 2012
Great characters, the episodes in this series were a bit hit and miss. When you go for silliness it can sometimes be very refreshing but sometimes it just comes across as asinine. I agree that the earlier episodes seemed slightly better. All in all it was always enjoyable but I was never that crazy about watching the next episode.
Oct 24, 2012 8:20 PM

Jan 2012
The final showdown between Zenigata and Lupin was pretty awesome. Lupin made a big mistake and Zenigata was hot on his ass. There was nowhere left for him to run and Zenigata knew it. The serious look on Lupin's face made it look like he was prepared to give up.

Knowing Lupin though, he had an escape plan as he usually does and also destroyed his hideout in the process. You have to give it up to Zenigata. He truly is the only man who can ever catch Lupin.

I decided to give this series another re-watch since I wanted to watch series 2 or as some would say the red coat one. I originally gave this series a 9/10, but I think it will get a 8/10 this time around.

It has been a long time since my first watch through of this series. With that said, I really love Lupin and the rest of the cast of characters. As mentioned before, I felt that most of the earlier episodes were better than the later ones. Of course, some of the early episodes were kind of weird such as the episode about the blonde witch girl, but some of my favorite ones of the whole series took place in the first half for sure.

The later episodes tend to talk a little more about Lupin's father/family. I found these to be interesting as well, but they didn't go into as much depth as I wanted them to go. Maybe the next series and the movies will dive further into that subject.

With all that said, I will stand by my 8/10. Now on to series 2 which is...155 episodes!! That is a whole lot of Lupin I have not seen. Can't wait!
Jun 4, 2013 7:25 AM

Aug 2011
Ampsta said:
I don't understand the Lupin craze. For me, it was a chore to finish. Maybe I'm taking this show too seriously. Lupin is obviously on friendly terms with Fujiko, or at least wants to bang her, but at the end of episode 17 he places a bomb under Fujiko's car and smiles about it. "He's a nice man?"

Costumes everywhere. Everyone is everybody. Hang-gliders, rocket launchers, costumes, and even planes appear out of thin air at the most convenient times. Lupin announces that he's going to steal your precious jewel, 2 days from now at midnight? Don't showcase it in your living room. Stick it up your ass or put it in your pocket. I feel like the writers were mocking me for the entirety of the show.

I'm giving it a 4/10, just for being Lupin III and for having influenced Bebop.

Lupin has never been an entirely serious anime, however Lupin is considered one of the founding anime for a more adult oriented cartoon. The violence, criminal activity, sexuality, and adult humor are all influencing factors, not just on Cowboy Bebop, but on the anime genre as a whole.

Some people can't get into an anime if it hasn't aged particularly well, and I respect that, but Lupin III has always stood out, in my opinion, as being a very impressive episodic series. The early episodes have some very dark themes and scenes in them that I really enjoy, and I also respect the creativity and inspiration that they have. The later episodes, the first works of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, who would go on to found Studio Ghibli and direct such films as Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Grave of the Fireflies, etc., show a much less violent side of Lupin (further from who he is in the manga) and really bring to life the rest of the cast, setting in stone their personalities and quirks for another 200+ episodes and 30+ specials and films.

It's the beginning of a legacy. As a stand alone work, I think it's strong and self-sufficient. But combined with everything it spawned, it's a masterpiece.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Feb 6, 2014 7:41 PM

May 2012
I really enjoyed the last episode and the entire series. I found myself thinking of earlier episodes and was impressed with how many I could recall and in such detail. If a series can leave a lasting impression on you then it's obviously served its purpose.

Having watching this in 2014 I do think it has stood the test of time and I found it an enjoyable series. Yes, there were some preposterous moments, such as with the cars and flying machines so that took a bit of getting used to for me but that's one of the factors of Lupin; there's a plotline along with some crazy parts and that's great.

My favourite part of this episode was the stand off between Zenigata and Lupin. The looks on their faces were exceptionally well animated. In other episodes I felt like the true emotions weren't written all over their faces but this time you could see Lupin and his gang were worried and I wasn't entirely expecting a double cross - although I thought the suicide ploy of Lupin's wasn't going to happen as it seemed more like a last resort and you just know that Lupin would have something up his sleeve - it really did seem like the end for Lupin and his gang in that moment and it was perfect for me.
Mar 29, 2014 4:56 AM

Apr 2012
What a great finale. Loved how right from the start they show the tone is more serious in this episode with Jingen that's like "don't you think Zenigatata is different?" And yes, he is, he plans ahead, he puts his carrier on the line: despite being a great goofy moment, the conversation with the chief of police had a deeply serious undertone. Then Lupin had all these little setbacks that build up the tension until the confrontation near the bay. That look of devastation on Zenigata's face after Lupin blew up... This is what historical anime moments are made of.

Overall a solid series: first half had its strong points (charismatic womanizer Lupin with James Bond-tier action), and so did the second half (more team work, goofyness, less violence), but I thought the episodes of the second half were better constructed, with more setbacks, and that made it more interesting to me. First half Lupin is a bit too invulnerable. Let's see what the red jacket series has to offer now.
EratiKMar 29, 2014 5:01 AM
May 27, 2014 1:19 AM

Jul 2008
Great series finale. Lupin screwed up royally in this one, nice to know he isn't perfect. Let the chase continue!

8/10 overall, an anime that started a great legacy...actually a great many legacies.
Jun 12, 2014 9:52 PM

Jan 2014
Great and hilarious end to the series. You've got to admire Zenigata's determination.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jan 2, 2015 6:06 PM

Apr 2012
Don't agree about the early episodes being better, they were mostly poorly written, trying to do too much and failing at everything. If they took the latter half and added more of an adult tone like in the early ones then this series would be a winner.
Apr 22, 2015 8:56 AM

Nov 2011
Oh my god

I know Lupin was pulling my dick, but goddamn, Zenigata's tears tore me a bit inside.

AND SO WE'RE DONE OVER HERE

2ND SERIES BD, I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU
IN MY EYES YOU WILL GO

I LOVE THE CAST!
May 17, 2015 9:05 AM
Mar 2015
When Zenigata cried at the end,I wanted to cry with him

Overall,this show was pretty entertaining,I loved the series
Jan 28, 2016 10:34 PM

Jul 2013
What an epic ending to the series. Can't wait to see more Lupin.
Apr 1, 2016 11:53 AM
Nov 2015
the pace is almost breathless. believable tactics. great last episode. Though Goemon, Jigen, Fujiko are like third wheels, especially Goemon, after the bromance bonding heights of ep 6 or 7.
Jan 4, 2017 7:05 AM

Aug 2012
Finally finished the green jacket series at the third attempt. This series for some reason just didn't really click with me. I enjoyed it in very small mostly single episode chunks. Trying to binge watch this series like i have done with other Lupin entries was really difficult for me. The last 4 episodes took me 4 hours to watch.

The Green Jacket series feels like a rough version of what was to come, a lump of coal waiting to become a diamond, which is pretty much exactly what it was behind the scenes, they knew they had something but just couldn't quite pull it off hence why it was cancelled. The same way that Japanese audiences weren't ready for an Anime like this in 1971 neither were the team behind the scenes really as production was quite turbulent. I can only think that this is why this version of Lupin is the least enjoyable for me so far.

Green Jacket was good just not my Lupin.
BlaizeVJan 4, 2017 7:09 AM
Dec 16, 2017 1:22 PM

Feb 2015
Doaj said:
Ampsta said:
I don't understand the Lupin craze. For me, it was a chore to finish. Maybe I'm taking this show too seriously. Lupin is obviously on friendly terms with Fujiko, or at least wants to bang her, but at the end of episode 17 he places a bomb under Fujiko's car and smiles about it. "He's a nice man?"

Costumes everywhere. Everyone is everybody. Hang-gliders, rocket launchers, costumes, and even planes appear out of thin air at the most convenient times. Lupin announces that he's going to steal your precious jewel, 2 days from now at midnight? Don't showcase it in your living room. Stick it up your ass or put it in your pocket. I feel like the writers were mocking me for the entirety of the show.

I'm giving it a 4/10, just for being Lupin III and for having influenced Bebop.

Lupin has never been an entirely serious anime, however Lupin is considered one of the founding anime for a more adult oriented cartoon. The violence, criminal activity, sexuality, and adult humor are all influencing factors, not just on Cowboy Bebop, but on the anime genre as a whole.

Some people can't get into an anime if it hasn't aged particularly well, and I respect that, but Lupin III has always stood out, in my opinion, as being a very impressive episodic series. The early episodes have some very dark themes and scenes in them that I really enjoy, and I also respect the creativity and inspiration that they have. The later episodes, the first works of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, who would go on to found Studio Ghibli and direct such films as Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Grave of the Fireflies, etc., show a much less violent side of Lupin (further from who he is in the manga) and really bring to life the rest of the cast, setting in stone their personalities and quirks for another 200+ episodes and 30+ specials and films.

It's the beginning of a legacy. As a stand alone work, I think it's strong and self-sufficient. But combined with everything it spawned, it's a masterpiece.

That Ampsta guy really needs to pull the stick out of his ass. Lighten up a little, not everything needs to be hyper-realistic in its storytelling. Discovering who's who and what ridiculous shit they'll pull next is part of the fun. Yeah, you're taking it too seriously. Let us not forget that what we're watching here are still cartoons at the end of the day.
Jan 30, 2018 3:06 PM
Jul 2018
What a finale showdown it was! Lots of hilarious mistakes by both team XD
Yeah this was really one heck memorable ending to a classic revolutionary show indeed.. I also really liked some of background voice musics usage which invoke lots of manliness feels.. (yeah feel sad at the same time since the composer is no longer alive atm..) Overall this show was all the way nostalgic show and enjoyed alot so might inspired to watch more classics 70/80s show..
Feb 16, 2018 10:39 AM

May 2016
RIP the Citroen 2 cv at the beginning :(

Otherwise, this episode was the best of the serie in my opinion.
Mar 5, 2019 7:53 AM

Oct 2012
I almost feel bad for Zenigata when he cried, that was very heartbreaking :(

Well off to next part
"Signature removed"
Apr 25, 2019 8:40 AM

Sep 2011
A great episode to close this Part. The beginning was so weird though, with Jigen in a gun shop and Fujiko in a jewelry. It was like they have regular jobs when they aren't stealing the big bucks. The car chase was wild though, Fujiko is great at driving. lol

Zenigata's bickering with his boss was funny too, and he really outdone himself this time. He found one of Lupin's hideouts, and his plan with the tracking devices worked in the end thanks to Lupin's big mistake. And it's a pity because the four of them did a good job and they almost had it, but I guess it goes to show that a simple misstep may cost you everything. Now they will have to swim a lot in order to lose Zenigata. xD
Dec 4, 2019 4:03 PM

Feb 2017
There was a real change in style, especially Fujiko Mine's rework, around the halfway mark of the series. I prefer her old design from the first few episodes.
Dec 10, 2019 2:53 PM

Jun 2015
The mind games in this episode were really good. Worth of being the last episode.
I still keep my argument that that one episode Lupin was really in prison using the cry wolf to get out should have been one of the last.
That aside, a solid 8/10 for this really old series.
Aug 17, 2020 3:45 PM

Oct 2018
I feel like I'm gonna have trouble watching Part II, I just can't get used to the character designs, I really prefer the ones here in Part I, anyone else feeling the same?
Sep 10, 2020 6:16 AM

Aug 2018
A pretty great ending to an already very old series. I still feel that the episode where lupin spends 1 year in Jail shouldn't been very last one.

Its crazy that original Lupin III will be turning 50 years old next years. Despite having obvious flaws that would not get away nowadays, its a very important piece of history for the anime industry that should be respected and not forgotten of.

If I had to rate the series,overall I'd probably give it a 7.8/10
Feb 2, 2021 7:29 PM
Apr 2016
Pretty much every episode had a plot-hole or two, but nonetheless it would be unfair to disregard the creativity in all of the tricks. Some episodes were somewhat enjoyable, but regardless overall felt like a big chore for me.

Giving it a 5.5/10 (rounding to a 5, as it feels closer to that number).
Nov 13, 2021 11:36 AM
Mar 2021
Green Jacket Lupin certainly went out with a bang. Everything from Lupin's big mistake to the final scene was amazing and I really enjoyed this show.
Dec 12, 2021 7:02 AM

Sep 2018
An ending in line with the philosophy that has distinguished this anime, a very funny episode that can be counted among the most successful. The ending is open, but it could not be otherwise and it means that the eternal struggle between Zenigata and Lupin is far from being at the end. This time Zenigata proves to be much smarter than in the past, a great step forward in history. Anime that overall is very enjoyable despite having a lot of years on its back, the merits are many starting from the characters who animated the plot. Excellent soundtrack, never goes unnoticed.
As mentioned earlier, despite not being a modern anime, it manages to be interesting, fun and with a sufficient quality standard, so the rating I give it is 8/10, but it could also deserve a little more.
Jan 22, 2022 1:31 AM
Apr 2021
This luzeni ending didn't have to be like this.But it was as a perfect ending.Idk maybe it's Miyazaki directed but the dark storyline is still showing.Maybe they followed Maasaki's storyboard here too
Jan 29, 2022 6:19 AM
Apr 2015
Why, in the English dub, was Zenigata breathing faster than Lupin was in the dub of Part 2 Episode 24 when he was knocked out by the drugged food?
Jul 10, 2022 4:12 AM

Mar 2020
I liked how it ended fittingly, with Zenigata chasing after Lupin one last time. I wonder how he realised they were alive though.

Oct 25, 2022 1:29 PM

Dec 2021
Pretty good finale. This early entry started off kind of rough, but it got its legs by episode 13, it was pretty damn enjoyable from there onwards. Definitely going to start watching series 2 right away. I'm going to miss that strange drunk man karaoke music that's exclusive to this early '70s entry.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Jul 3, 2023 8:29 PM
Jul 2023
yes, ok, masterpiece
May 3, 3:40 PM
Jun 2023
solid end to a classic series. a bit anticlimactic, but they didn't know the legacy this would have.
Jun 23, 3:16 PM

May 2018
A very goofy but fitting way to end the first part of Lupin and Co's mischievous adventures!

6/10
Oct 5, 7:39 AM

Aug 2021
Poor Zenigata, he was really sad about Lupin's possible death.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 20 Discussion

Fronzel - Sep 4, 2012

15 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 5, 5:56 AM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 16 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 4, 2010

17 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 4, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 15 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Apr 22, 2012

27 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 4, 6:14 PM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 14 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 2, 2010

41 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 4, 5:46 PM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 4 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Oct 12, 2010

26 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 3, 6:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.