Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 9, 2:45 PM

Feb 2018
Ok, we got a big team of prepubescent flashy colored kids with (so far) flat sidekicks (aside from Yorishige) which would make it a great shonen, but then we got scenes of beheaded persons, child abuse and child murder; pretty grim and nasty but fitting for a seinen (+17 rating)

I dunno whats the general opinion, but I'd like it more if at least the kids were around 14-16, and maybe thats because the historical setting since I didn't feel the same with Shaman King, where also just kids are the main team, but you could argue than childs would have better spiritual potential (but it debunked itself as the show when on)
BiobulletMAug 9, 2:58 PM
34 years old ossan who still watches anime
Aug 9, 3:03 PM
Sep 2022
BiobulletM said:
Ok, we got a big team of prepubescent flashy colored kids with (so far) flat sidekicks (aside from Yorishige) which would make it a great shonen, but then we got scenes of beheaded persons, child abuse and child murder; pretty grim and nasty but fitting for a seinen (+17 rating)

I dunno whats the general opinion, but I'd like it more if at least the kids were around 14-16, and maybe thats because the historical setting since I didn't feel the same with Shaman King, where also just kids are the main team, but you could argue than childs would have better spiritual potential (but it debunked itself as the show when on)

turning them 14 or 16 still means its child murder
also turning something into a seinen doesn't change anything
example: trigun
Aug 9, 3:40 PM
Jul 2020
I agree with the 1st point, since I find tone of this is like mixing horror/gore and comedy genres in the same show.

It's like 80% of the episode is fun and games, especially due to the presence of the shaman-guy, and then you'll get a scene of a child being beheaded (literally).
Aug 9, 3:52 PM
Mar 2023
Drake, dr d, edp, kris, dream
Aug 9, 4:25 PM
Sep 2022
Eldencheese said:

you gave mushoku tensei a 9/10 🗿
Aug 9, 4:55 PM
Jul 2023
the inconsistent tone of the series is definitely something I'm not a fan of. one second it's all fun and games with Yorishige then the next the entire village is being massacred, including SA (though thankfully not explicit) and child beheading. I don't think it's managed well nor do I think just increasing the ages is the solution. while I like the gags and they're consistently pretty funny, I think 50% fewer jokes would help
Aug 9, 5:26 PM

Jan 2021
Literally many popular shonen has such stuff.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Aug 9, 6:00 PM
Apr 2021
Idk but it’s damn good to me that’s for sure🔥
Aug 9, 8:08 PM

Aug 2019
Cayusashi said:
the inconsistent tone of the series is definitely something I'm not a fan of. one second it's all fun and games with Yorishige then the next the entire village is being massacred, including SA (though thankfully not explicit) and child beheading. I don't think it's managed well nor do I think just increasing the ages is the solution. while I like the gags and they're consistently pretty funny, I think 50% fewer jokes would help

Interesting, I've been enjoying this show specifically because of the kind of unpredictable shifts in tone. If 50% of the jokes were cut I'd lose a decent bit of interest in the show. To each their own, or something like that lol
y u mad tho
Aug 9, 8:38 PM

Jul 2023
Animation is gd, story is gd enough and entertaining....then why should I bother if shounen or seinen lmao

Aug 9, 8:54 PM
Aug 2023
I guess i’m just used to it after reading ancient Japanese history, because the SA and children being beheaded just seem historically accurate.
Aug 9, 8:57 PM
Oct 2015
It's for me. 🤡 It's a shonen fighting show that may as well also be a black comedy at times. You need to go in with those expectations so it immediately made them clear in E1. Maybe it's just novelty, and maybe it makes the more emotional and traumatic moments weird and uncomfortable for people who need everything to be realistic or immersive or respectful or whatever, but I think it's nice to get something that doesn't just follow formulas and conventions in so many ways.

To top it all off I actually think the age thing just adds another subtle layer of jokes, since they are for all intents and purposes child soldiers gathered by a weirdo "fake shaman". 💀 I'm loving it, just hope it stays entertaining and the characters continue to grow more endearing.
Aug 9, 9:38 PM
Jul 2024
what do you mean bro?
Aug 9, 10:56 PM
Mar 2023
Mr_Sai said:
Eldencheese said:

Yeah but as the show is a redemption arc so rudeus starts being a piece of shit who shoul did in jail and burn in hell to an actual hero. So now wonder why the first seasons are like that.

Also bro u watched made in abyss which does have it’s odd moments
Aug 10, 1:20 AM
Sep 2022
Eldencheese said:
Mr_Sai said:

Yeah but as the show is a redemption arc so rudeus starts being a piece of shit who shoul did in jail and burn in hell to an actual hero. So now wonder why the first seasons are like that.

made in abyss takes itself seriously while mushoku tensei does the nasty shit for comedy
Aug 10, 3:46 AM

Jul 2015
Mr_Sai said:
Eldencheese said:

made in abyss takes itself seriously while mushoku tensei does the nasty shit for comedy

Must have missed the parts when MT did any of those for comedy. Seems like you mistook it for Konosuba.

Aug 10, 3:48 AM

Jul 2023
I suppose it's for 10-13 year olds. It's a lesson that the real world is harsh. The meta-humour is there perhaps to keep this from moving to seinen territory.
Aug 10, 4:16 AM

Apr 2020
I think for either grown ups who don't take this stuff this seriously and who can simply appreciate some nice Animation and a bit of fun

OR

Kids who identify with a Main character, which on the surface, is talentless, but is special in his own way. Classic Shonen.

It's really not that complicated and people do watch^^ It works. Don't worry. Violence doesn't mean it's Seinen. Grim Murder doesn't mean it's Seinen.

Why try to make this a Youtube-esque essay, when it's just a bit of fun?

Who is it for? Pretty much for everyone who can get over the Protag and his friends beeing young :)
Merve2LoveAug 10, 5:36 AM
Aug 10, 4:50 AM
Feb 2022
since the manga was published on Weekly Shonen Jump, it was made for 12 - 18 year olds.
Aug 10, 5:32 AM
Feb 2021
It's a simple little shonen for a younger audience and people who are slightly interested in Japanese history while not being too heavy on the history side (unfortunately the main stream audience doesn't like history, even though it's the most important tool for humans to reach real knowledge) with great animation in the first two episodes and good animation going onward, nothing more nothing less, we could say it's the Kaiju No.8 of this Summer season, even though, personal preference, this is a better all around product than Midju No.8, I think it's much more enjoyable
Aug 10, 6:01 AM
Mar 2023
Reply to Mr_Sai
Eldencheese said:
Mr_Sai said:

@Mr_Sai "nasty shit for comedy" bro did not watch the end of season 1 part 2
Aug 10, 6:17 AM
Jan 2024
It’s shounen. It’s in shuukan shounen jump.
Aug 10, 7:15 AM
Jan 2024
patkarunungan said:
I suppose it's for 10-13 year olds. It's a lesson that the real world is harsh. The meta-humour is there perhaps to keep this from moving to seinen territory.

It literally cannot “move into seinen territory”. It is published in a shounen magazine. It is not possible for it to be seinen unless it moves to shuukan young jump or another seinen magazine, which is not happening.
Aug 10, 7:34 AM

Jul 2023
Reply to OtakuTroglodyte
patkarunungan said:

It literally cannot “move into seinen territory”. It is published in a shounen magazine. It is not possible for it to be seinen unless it moves to shuukan young jump or another seinen magazine, which is not happening.
@OtakuTroglodyte Yeah, I know. It's published as such. What I mean is its execution.

If our protagonist were much older and we don't have those lame jokes, the work would have been much for fitting for seinen than the shounen demographic.

Back in episode 1, I felt that the subject matter was too dark, but the humour kind of negated that.
Aug 10, 12:02 PM

Apr 2012
The Western "modern audience" just doesn't get it.

"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Aug 11, 10:19 PM

Jan 2020
It’s a great show full stop
Aug 12, 5:09 AM

Aug 2011
Dude. Think about it. It takes place in 1333. A TIME WHERE SHIT WAS GRUSOME. lol.... There was most likely also sexual assault on children like it was normal back then. Just like rights of anyone. It hasn't always been rainbows and sunshine... *facepalming*
Life is too short for looking at the past. Enjoy your 'now' and just prepare a bit for the future~
Aug 12, 6:18 AM

Sep 2009
Who is this for? clearly not for you so....Goodbye.
Aug 12, 3:06 PM

Mar 2015
for true connoisseurs I guess (definitely not for me though, I wasted too much time giving it a chance to get good as is)
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Aug 13, 4:17 AM
Jan 2024
14 -15 would still be a child. also the story is derived from actually historical events.
also I find this anime rather unique. I'm actually liking the flashy, colorful parts and then all of a sudden it's a bloodbath. I'm guessing the flashy colorful parts represent an 8 year old boys views. a boy who wants to.play around, laugh, joke, doesn't take life seriously...and then there's the reality part, which is brutal. I feel the show is doing a good job at showing the protagonists unseriousness and the grim reality as well . I don't know man. im loving this.
Aug 13, 4:18 AM
Jan 2024
advent_grade said:
Cayusashi said:

Interesting, I've been enjoying this show specifically because of the kind of unpredictable shifts in tone. If 50% of the jokes were cut I'd lose a decent bit of interest in the show. To each their own, or something like that lol

exactly. I feel the inconsistencies actually represent our protagonist. Jez inconsistent cause he's literally 8.
Aug 14, 4:37 PM
Apr 2023
Cayusashi said:

i love the bi-polar theme.
Aug 14, 9:36 PM
Dec 2022
Calms, bro. It's not for you, so no need all that but I get. As for me, I am quite enjoying plus as someone that's reading the manga, I know it's gonna be peak (anime wise).
Oct 6, 12:20 AM

Jun 2008
Bipolar shotacons. And yet I haven't enjoyed it that much.

watching, waiting, commiserating
Oct 6, 7:16 PM

May 2022
HAHA! Thank you. So it's not just me. I recently checked this one out and was so perplexed by everything I saw. I did in some ways like how the show looked, but overall I thought a lot felt too on the nose and the whole vibe for the show felt uninteresting. In some ways this show reminds me of when I dropped "Kusuriya no Hitorigoto". I feel I dropped both these shows for nearly the same reasons. And I really wanted to like "Kusuriya no Hitorigoto" since I'm a fan of Aoi Yuuki, but I really wasn't feeling it despite that.

I don't know what it is really.. I think these shows simply don't inspire much excitement in me. Maybe its that these shows don't feel original to me and perhaps the jokes land flat and far too often. A shame because both of these shows seem to have high production values.. I just don't find myself impressed, immersed or in good company with much of it. In some ways I guess these shows feel disengenuous, detached, unoriginal, and perhaps forced.
LordKirkisOct 7, 5:18 AM
Oct 7, 3:00 PM
Mar 2023
I watched start,and jokes with putting stupid face on full screen are awful..dropped,dont know why anyone can like this.
Oct 9, 5:21 AM
Feb 2024
Fujos. I've enjoyed the show, but it's definitely one of the most egregious examples of "shounen written for a female audience" that I've ever seen.
Oct 10, 1:06 AM

Sep 2019
It's for people who enjoy it.
Stop over analyzing anime and just enjoy it. If you don't enjoy a show, simply move on. Life is too short to be held up with irrelevant questions like this :)
I'm not reading any replies or comments directed at me at all. I know my truth and if you disagree: that's fine but i couldn't give a damn about :)

More topics from this board

» Really unpopular anime for how Top tier visuals are

Prfpnd_179 - Oct 3

8 by Cyclox52 »»
Oct 13, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Nige Jouzu no Wakagimi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 28

73 by saeran_choiiii »»
Oct 12, 8:35 AM

Poll: » Nige Jouzu no Wakagimi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14

59 by lordgaara »»
Oct 10, 7:12 PM

» [leak] season 2 is decided

deg - Oct 2

7 by KuroCiel »»
Oct 9, 11:24 AM

» 2nd Season Confirmed

Dbagas8 - Oct 6

6 by Dan_ALves »»
Oct 6, 11:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.