Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 20, 7:32 PM
Mar 2020
I have been following and reading this manga since chapter 4, and the first few chapters were the ones that got me interested due the supernatural stuff and the natural writing.

I think the dialogs are well-written and all the characters and their reactions feel... human.

However, with the pure school slice-of-life stuff recently, I was wondering what the appeal of this manga is.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it, I just genuinely want to know what others think about the series, its appeal and why they like / dislike it.

For us foreigners, I guess Japanese school life can be interesting, but for the Japanese readers, I can't really see what they could get out of reading this.

With that out of the way, please let me know what your thoughts are on the topic.
Jul 20, 7:50 PM
Jan 2021
yeah it has definitely lost a lot of its original charm. As it is now the "dragon" part is complete irrelevant aside from a few quips and it became way too normalised way too quick
Jul 20, 7:54 PM
Mar 2021
its just slice of life isnt it ? you watch this interesting character with wacky circumstances fumble through school life and learn as she does. there doesnt need to be a specific hook or catch, its just fun to read, its interesting to see where the story goes and what develops. i personally hope it sticks with this almost mundane approach, it fits well with the characters, yes ruri us literally part dragon, but shes also just a kid, its really fun to just take in her circumstances and watch her develop.
Jul 20, 8:23 PM
Mar 2022
The dragon stuff is mostly supposed to be a metaphor, imo. Kinda like the students in Sonny Boy having superpowers.

It's just a comfy, wholesome story about Ruri learning that her differences do not make her special or "different". Even with her powers, it's her job to become a better person that others like. It's just really sweet and fun to read. At least for me.
Jul 20, 9:26 PM
Jan 2021
flwer said:
its just slice of life isnt it ? you watch this interesting character with wacky circumstances fumble through school life and learn as she does. there doesnt need to be a specific hook or catch, its just fun to read, its interesting to see where the story goes and what develops. i personally hope it sticks with this almost mundane approach, it fits well with the characters, yes ruri us literally part dragon, but shes also just a kid, its really fun to just take in her circumstances and watch her develop.

For the past few chapters, I'd say ruri has had some pretty normal circumstances tbh. The wacky circumstances like her accidentally using her powers was what hooked me in and it that case I feel that issue got fixed way too quickly. As it is now, the story is just an average highschool story with nothing setting it apart. I'm honestly just waiting for dragon dad to show up
Jul 20, 9:37 PM
Mar 2021
Reply to GodYusopp
flwer said:

For the past few chapters, I'd say ruri has had some pretty normal circumstances tbh. The wacky circumstances like her accidentally using her powers was what hooked me in and it that case I feel that issue got fixed way too quickly. As it is now, the story is just an average highschool story with nothing setting it apart. I'm honestly just waiting for dragon dad to show up
@Yusffff i could see how the more normal circumstances and events of the last bit could become a little boring, but she isnt just a dragon so showing the non-dragon parts of her life and the non-dragon things she is experiencing as a by product of being part dragon feels great to me. the manga could go on for another 100 chapters for all we know, and in which case this slight down time where ruri is just living day by day is fine, i think. of course i would love to see ruris dad or more dragons or some world building regarding the fantasy creatures, but i trust that will come at some point. the current theming fits quite well with the ongoing events in the manga id say, ultimately i think the story isnt necessarily about ruri being a dragon, but ruri who is part dragon if that makes sense. overall i just think where the manga is headed seems fun and like an enjoyable read.
Jul 20, 10:53 PM
Mar 2021
for me it's the down to earth comedy.
Jul 20, 11:22 PM
Jul 2021
It's about a half dragon girl finding a way to fit in with her newfound abilities. It's always been mainly about the slice of life stuff since the very beginning for me.
Jul 21, 2:09 AM
Dec 2017
Tranquility itself
Jul 21, 2:35 AM

Aug 2015
Zizike said:
I have been following and reading this manga since chapter 4, and the first few chapters were the ones that got me interested due the supernatural stuff and the natural writing.

I think the dialogs are well-written and all the characters and their reactions feel... human.

However, with the pure school slice-of-life stuff recently, I was wondering what the appeal of this manga is.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it, I just genuinely want to know what others think about the series, its appeal and why they like / dislike it.

For us foreigners, I guess Japanese school life can be interesting, but for the Japanese readers, I can't really see what they could get out of reading this.

With that out of the way, please let me know what your thoughts are on the topic.

CGDCT. That's the whole appeal.
Controversial opinions
Jul 21, 4:56 AM

Feb 2010
It's still in that developing stage. I'm invested enough still. Though I might eventually drop it if I get bored like Blue Box
Jul 21, 9:09 AM

Oct 2023
To me, it's just cute dragon girl does cute things.

Just a fun little slice of a life about a half dragon trying to navigate matters of school, friends and family while having to deal with her curious traits and abilities.

Not every story needs a point imo, though I do think it would be interesting if her Dad showed up at some point.
Jul 21, 11:29 AM

Apr 2020
It's just the vibes, man.
Jul 21, 3:22 PM
Nov 2022
I just think it's a nice story with loveable characters. I feel like the dragon stuff is going to get more attention later on after (or possibly during) the school festival. I'm enjoying it right now because this is the first series where attention is being given to the amount of work that goes into setting up school festivals. It's also giving time for Ruri and (forgot her name) to start getting along and possibly becoming friends which is a lot more realistic then the typical "become friends after overcoming one issue." It's a more realistic approach to slice of life that I, personally, haven't seen before. That's why I find it so appealing. Plus, I just really like dragons. I like how the dragon aspect of the manga doesn't completely overshadow everything else, too.
Jul 22, 5:06 AM

Dec 2022
It's relaxing, wholesome, and has a cool dragon and powers aspect.

Jul 24, 12:36 PM
Feb 2016
slice of life, relatable, no one is dying, cool dragon powers. it's wholesome. idk if id pick it up if ruri was a normal girl. like dededede, if there wasn't an alien invasion I wouldn't think to watch it. slice of life with a gimmick is interesting.
Jul 28, 5:20 PM

Dec 2009
So far the latest (Chapter 18) direction of her role seems dull even though it makes sense,
but, so far, the unexpected dragon traits is what intrigues me the most, along with the potential of danger and other demihumans/etc. I guess.

... It's hard to tell exactly. It's still a bit too early.
The friendship bonding is nice and good enough, but as of now, I'm more eager for excitement and drama.
Sep 7, 10:30 PM

Sep 2018
It's par the course for young adult literature, a fun, bubbly school themed show with a quirky MC, facing new challenges in life. The demi-human thing is the factor that allows her to break down walls and apply herself to things she would often ignore or be indifferent to, prior to her transformation. Art is just OK. Think it would be funnier in anime form.
Sep 10, 2:48 AM

May 2021
Personally I consider this as manga for the reader to relax(helps people with insomnia like me) from his everyday problems , kinda like Haruka Reset. They are simple and their are on point in terms what the mangakas wanted them to be

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ruri Dragon Chapter 22 Discussion

ARK-13 - Oct 6

11 by RioFS »»
Oct 11, 4:01 PM

Poll: » Ruri Dragon Chapter 21 Discussion

ARK-13 - Sep 22

6 by McNosky »»
Sep 29, 5:57 PM

» Volume 2 promotional video

ARK-13 - Sep 3

7 by waalex11 »»
Sep 5, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Ruri Dragon Chapter 20 Discussion

ARK-13 - Sep 1

13 by waalex11 »»
Sep 5, 8:38 PM

Poll: » Ruri Dragon Chapter 19 Discussion

ARK-13 - Aug 18

10 by MegamiRem »»
Sep 1, 12:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.