Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 10, 2018 8:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah more fighting games.

Haruo spends more time playing with Koharu at the arcades. Then, there's also them talking about games at home. Personally, I really like their character chemistry and relationship development. It's very casual yet they seem like good friends.

Koharu also reminds me of Haruo himself a bit.
Aug 12, 2018 10:03 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Mortal Kombat, oh shit, that was nice to see!

I feel super sorry for Hidaka, she caught on quick :/ We'll see how she handles it, hopefully she is not too saddened. I don't even know if she noticed that she was jumping around while she was thinking about Haruo down there in the blizzard.

Ono is back and she doesn't look happy, i'm pretty sure she just wants to see Haruo again and play with him but she can't atm.
Aug 12, 2018 10:27 AM

Aug 2014
Akira is back.
O lol'd so hard when Haruo and Hidaka were speaking about the Raiden sound xD
Aug 12, 2018 12:20 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Ooh, she's back. This is going to be good.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 12, 2018 12:42 PM
Jun 2017
Oono for the win!!!
Aug 12, 2018 2:36 PM

May 2018
MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh shit, Akira is back, just as Hidaka is making a connection with the guy.
Aug 12, 2018 3:26 PM

Sep 2017
I'm loving this show, but I just feel so bad for Hidaka. I like her character design more, as well as her character in general. It's just so obvious that Yaguchi is only interested in Oono. Even after two years.
Aug 12, 2018 4:27 PM

Dec 2014
Mortal Kombat was great. Classic Raiden player spamming the Fly move. XDD
That discussion about Raiden's voice line had me laughing.

Kinda feel bad for Hidaka since Haruo's only got eyes for Ono, Haruo barely even noticed the chocolate he was given. Wonder what's gonna happen when she finds out about Ono.

Ono is back and she doesn't seem to be happy. Can't wait for the reunion.
Aug 12, 2018 6:17 PM

May 2010
I was expecting Ono to return to high school 2nd year or something where she's no longer interested in gaming.
Aug 12, 2018 9:05 PM

Oct 2014
I WANT 2-COUR!!!!!!
Aug 12, 2018 10:40 PM
Moe Lover

Aug 2015
love how much detail they are putting into showing the games, it really is nice seeing it animated compared to seeing it in static in manga. The CG is still weird but now I've gotten use to the CG they are using and it doesn't bother me anymore :P Anyways give us more Akira please and thank you.
Aug 12, 2018 11:33 PM

Oct 2014
Why is the first post or multiple posts in these threads always summarizing what happened in the episode that people have just seen?

Might be because I never played arcade games and didn't have vg's until I was a little older, but I'm not really into this show. Ono is *shrugs* and the boy is a turd. I guess I would have to watch more than 1 episode to see what kind of chemistry they supposedly have.

The other reason I won't be watching this series is because I'm dead. You know the "thank you to our sponsors" message at the start of every anime that may or may not be there if you're watching *ahem* online? The subtitles translated the second half to "Grando Sponsa, Tokyo Day, Oh Christmas!"
Aug 13, 2018 1:16 AM

May 2015
Mortal Combat? Looks like we're not just sticking to Japanese games...How nice of them...

LMAO! I remember Mortal Kombat having some weird jibberish when characters do attacks.

Aren't the Fatalities in the old Mortal Kombat games super complicated? And she got it on the first try!

Ayyy Samurai Showdown! But why you gotta do that to poor little Nakoruru?

"I'll show you how arcades are were idiots gather!" Well...he's not wrong...

ENGAGE DOWN 4! Oh you're laughing at Nakoruru now. She had us all crying when KoFXIV came out...

IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE IT'S TRUE!

FATAL FURY!!!! <3
Wait...did he just advertise SNK Heroines, a game that was made 16 years after Fatal Fury II? Eh, whatever...ADVERTISING!

ONO IS BACK!!!!!!!! LOVE TRIANGLES HERE WE GO!
Aug 13, 2018 2:56 AM

Dec 2015
This show is a great piece of art. Imo it deserves a score about 8.00 - 8.50. I dropped Toradora but I love this anime.

Nostalgia ... yeah. I posted something in the other thread about it. Would not have been enough. Episode 1 was boring. But episodes 2-5 are super great. Easily one of the best shows this season. And one of the best romance comedy ever.

No annoying chars. Even the other girl that has more the childhood type personality (which I don't like) is nice. Feels well written ... all the behavior feels realistic. For example how she walked up and down in her room thinking about Yaguchi (who was downstairs playing).

The art style/char design is nice. The comedy parts are nice. Ugly girl and mother don't feel annoying/overused. Maybe it is because the others react normally. Usually there is comedy that overly feels forced with the mother spying on the son when his reactions are too over the top. Or it gets used too often.

The narrator voice also was used in a great way. No annoying overusing like in Tonegawa. Just fun in a fitting moment when - out of nowhere - he started to explain how gamers aren't physically strong/fit.

Soo much good moments where I just thought "I could not have wished for more. Couldn't have done it any better. This just fits. Perfect."

Manga source and the studio are/were doing a super great job.

I liked the funny guy who got beat by Yaguchi. Also Mortal Kombat ha ha ... and how Hidaka just managed to do a fatality. Now with Ono back it will get even more interesting char-wise.
Aug 13, 2018 9:12 PM

Apr 2016
Mortal Combat and Fatal Fury... the nostalgia. ^_^

LOL! Poor girl.
Yaguchi's priority: GAMES >>>>>>>>>>> GIRLS

Oono is back!
Didn't expect her to return so early as she was only gone for one episode.
Looking forward to see if she's still the same as before or not and how she reacts if she sees Yaguchi with "another girl" XD
Aug 13, 2018 10:21 PM

Feb 2017
Oh boy! Akira Oono is back! I feel sorry for Hidaka but that ship was destined to sink since the beginning, yes I have to admit she has better traits and a less violent personality (big less violent) but Oono was the first girl AND the anime is named for her.

I can't wait to see her return.
Aug 14, 2018 7:51 AM
Feb 2017
This anime has seriously turned the tables on many others of this season. I remember when it was like 6.50 or something. Not to mention, I even thought I might put it on hold after watching the first episode. Boy, have things changed tremendously. ^_^
Aug 14, 2018 6:34 PM

May 2016
Now that Oono is back, will she speak words???? :' )
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
Aug 14, 2018 7:17 PM

May 2017
I hope Yaguchi chooses both but I know that ain't gonna happen, sad
Aug 15, 2018 12:13 AM

Oct 2008
Yosh! Ono is back! that was fast!
still...i dunno who to ship: Haruo x Ono or Haruo x Hidaka
that tantrum dude is back! man! matsuoka's tantrum is hilarious!
5/5.

Aug 17, 2018 12:37 AM

Apr 2015
Koharu has fucking superhuman hearing
Aug 17, 2018 12:34 PM

Jun 2013
Things are gonna be even more interesting now that Akira is back

Armisrael
The fate of Destruction▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Deviant
is also the joy of Rebirth ▬ ▬▬Beast
Twtr
Arael
Aug 18, 2018 7:20 AM
May 2017
They use this anime to advertise the new fighting game SNK Heroines was interesting.
And the fact that I was a fighting game fan made it even better, this show is really growing on me since episode 2.
5/5 No question!
Aug 18, 2018 6:42 PM

Jan 2013
Lovely episode, sentimental. Unrequited love.
Aug 20, 2018 9:35 AM

Mar 2015
Still better than Gamers!
Go up, go down, go, come, take, bring, jump, scream, run.
Aug 20, 2018 3:10 PM

Jun 2012
Lol Ono wasn't gone for very long.

I actually shipped the protag with Hidaka even more. It's just something about a guy obsessed with games, paired with a girl who's completely clueless about games, but just likes watching him play stuff he loves.
Aug 20, 2018 10:04 PM

Jul 2015
rafaelfernds said:
Still better than Gamers!

Definitely. It's actually about real games instead of just misunderstandings ;)
Aug 22, 2018 2:46 AM

Mar 2014
Man, I really like the chemistry between Yaguchi and Hidaka. Even more than the relationship Yaguchi and Ono had.
Maybe it's just because Ono doesn't speak, but I feel like Yaguchi has more of a genuine connection with Hidaka.

It'll be most interesting to see how things play out with this love triangle, though. Now that Ono's back, will something happen between her and Yaguchi to cause a rift to form between them? Will Yaguchi ever realize that Hidaki has feelings for him?
I typically don't get into romantic subplots in shows, but something about this one is nice. It just feels more genuine to me somehow. Maybe it's because it's all childhood romance.
::End of Transmission::

Sep 1, 2018 11:54 AM

Jan 2016
This show perfectly captures the difference between a child and a teenager.

Yaguchi-gradeschooler obsessed with games - awkward and not so bright, but still nice and likable kid.
Yaguchi-middleschooler obsessed with games - loathsome asshole.

Ep. 4-5 Yaguchi basically embodies all the worst stereotypes about gamers. He is stupid, lazy, selfish and have no desire to learn about anything or anyone.

I feel sorry for this poor girl. She must be very, very lonely to fall for this guy.
ChrisMarloweSep 1, 2018 12:49 PM
Sep 3, 2018 9:27 PM

Jun 2017
The first episode I really enjoyed... have high expectations for the next
Sep 5, 2018 6:52 AM

Feb 2018
Wowowow i smelt triangel love in here
Sep 5, 2018 6:53 AM

Feb 2018
mhkr said:
The first episode I really enjoyed... have high expectations for the next
yes i agree from start/first episode is good if next make me eksposed
Sep 5, 2018 6:54 AM

Feb 2018
matias067 said:
Yosh! Ono is back! that was fast!
still...i dunno who to ship: Haruo x Ono or Haruo x Hidaka
that tantrum dude is back! man! matsuoka's tantrum is hilarious!
5/5.
Triangel Love xD.
Sep 14, 2018 10:26 AM

Dec 2014
ok so two years have passed… the girl really tries hard…and yes Ono’s back
Sep 20, 2018 1:35 AM
Mar 2017
If this were a generic anime of romance, the blonde girl would win, and the childhood friend would lose ...: /
FireCrauterSep 20, 2018 2:30 AM
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Sep 25, 2018 3:31 PM

Aug 2017
Honestly, I like much more the chemistry between Koharu and Haru rather than Ono and Haru. This episode shows a bit of Haru's passion for the games.

She's back lol
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 10, 2018 9:04 PM

May 2012
Oh she's back! But I didn't realise 2 years already passed! Quite interesting to see what will happen next, love triangle?
Dec 10, 2018 11:40 PM

Aug 2015
Poor Hidaka, she's just chopped liver next to Super SFII as far as Haruo is concerned.

I wanna reach into the TV and slap this kid around so he'll notice the good thing in front of him and not grow up to be a 30 year old virgin.

His mom's trying, but she's clearly not being hands on enough.

If I know anything about the L.A. school system, Ono will have learned to talk after being eaten alive for the last two years.
Dec 30, 2018 1:24 AM

Mar 2014
Mortal Kombat - one of the few retro games I actually played, brought back some good memories. Ono returns next ep, finally
Dec 31, 2018 11:24 AM

Nov 2013
Koharu deserves better, heck i feel sorry for Oono too. MC is just too miserable...
Jan 8, 2019 4:48 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Arcades aren't for degenerates, they're for idiots. Bless.

I feel for Koharu. Boys are dumb but sometimes they're good and dumb sadly.

Also that pink haired girl is so crazy and off her rocks but I like her as a background character no doubt.
Jan 13, 2019 8:08 AM
Sep 2007
Mortal Kombat - the legend of fighting games :) . Too bad I was too young to play it in it's time. LOL @ randomly accomplished fatality :D

Jan 25, 2019 5:53 PM

May 2013
Y U NO PICK LIU KANG?!??!!?!!!!

Hooraaayyyyy~ Ono-chan isback :D
I wonder if she changed or suppressed her gaming desire
poor Hidaka-chan :( Boys are idiots. I felt bad about her handmade gloves ;~;

but the Raiden part was cute and hilarious af XD
Kokoro_KotashimaJan 25, 2019 5:57 PM
Feb 12, 2019 9:35 AM
Apr 2016
Damn, Hidaka is such a big overthinker... Also yaaay Ono is back to japan, interesting... I wonder where'll this go..
Feb 22, 2019 2:45 AM

Nov 2011
I thought it was more than 2 years.. I think Ono went to America when they were in elementary school and now is their third year in middle school because I remember Hidaka mentioned something about graduation exam.. I guess they are now in 2nd year then and Ono went when they were 6th graders..

Love triangle huh.. I don't want anybody getting hurt ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Mar 8, 2019 12:37 PM

Jun 2015
Jim_Heart said:
I thought it was more than 2 years.. I think Ono went to America when they were in elementary school and now is their third year in middle school because I remember Hidaka mentioned something about graduation exam.. I guess they are now in 2nd year then and Ono went when they were 6th graders..

This is probably 1994 now, since Super Street Fighter II came out and it's new year.
Mar 11, 2019 8:54 AM

Jun 2015
Also, the CG never bothered me. I don't know what everyone was complaining about.
Mar 25, 2019 4:00 AM
Aug 2012
I love seeing a character that's in love but knows herself well enough to realize when the other doesn't love her back and is mature yet cute about it all. Our mc is just as he was, but what's driving his development further is facing off with our dear Oono, who has now returned to us after 2 whole years! will she be speaking this time around? hmm. And how will our lovesick puppy handle this newcomer?
Apr 18, 2019 6:08 AM

Jun 2017
this was a pretty enjoyable build-up episode. not as good as the previous ones,but still pretty good. now best girl is back too! :)
Jun 11, 2019 12:11 PM

Feb 2019
Damn I'm really cheering for Koharu but she doesn't have a chance ugh ;-; I thought blonde girls always win but in this anime nope :))

Koharu unrequited love aaa D:
Crazy for Siyun Baek and Park Yunsu

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2018

52 by Yotsugi_Doll_ »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 1 Discussion

Kuroko33 - Sep 4, 2018

37 by lolware »»
Aug 27, 8:49 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2018

149 by JohnDimension »»
Aug 15, 11:10 AM

» is she autsitic

1000yearofdeath_ - May 6

14 by 1000yearofdeath_ »»
May 19, 6:53 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 3 Discussion

nehnehneji - Aug 10, 2018

46 by Strikrr »»
Jan 5, 12:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.