Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 21, 2009 4:43 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
um...... okay? I was like going wtf for the whole episode.
WTF was with the blurry image? At first I just thought they'd be an effect for describing some sort of reminiscing scene... but apparently it was so till the end. -_-;;

I guess the only best part was the grunt getting killed. XP

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
ShockedJan 21, 2017 3:19 PM

kimatg on | blog | pixiv | deviantART
Nov 21, 2009 7:07 AM

Oct 2009
Not a fan of the artstyle, didn't enjoy this one at all.

The way the story was told was confusing, even though it's actually rather simple and the voice acting was pretty bad.

In the Babysitter it seemed as though english was the original dub, I'd be surprised if it was the original dub in this episode.

Also what's up with the female Sangheili looking like she comes from a completely different species? she doesn't have mandibles and the male elites talk as though their mandibles are sewn together for some reason.
TopgunUKNov 21, 2009 7:12 AM
Nov 21, 2009 8:55 AM

Oct 2009
this episode sucks the story makes no sense like when the arbitor killed his wife then went back to save her that made no fucking sense and the art style was lousy
Nov 21, 2009 12:28 PM
Sep 2009
Did not care for the art style either. It came off as gimmicky. Story was unfollowable at some parts. lol'd at the grunt.
Nov 21, 2009 6:05 PM

Mar 2008
this was so-so really. The art was really weird and not that appealing and the CGI was cool in battle but kind of bulky. And of course I saw that "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" coming from a mile away.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Nov 21, 2009 8:49 PM

Apr 2008
The animation was a bit odd, and the colours very drab. I like the watercolour idea, but it was way too intense. If it was toned down (and brightened up a little) then it would probably look a whole lot better.

Besides that, I definitely enjoyed it. The Hunters were badass. :D
Nov 21, 2009 11:48 PM

Jul 2008
so not only does he wipe out an army, but he loses his wife and kills his opponent, but dies in the end. pretty good episode, but why exactly was he rebelling?
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Nov 22, 2009 3:40 AM

Apr 2008
He seemd to disagree with the Prophets and said the great yourny was a lie...

Episode wasn't that good. I disliked the art a great deal.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise"
Nov 22, 2009 7:21 AM

Mar 2008
hypersonic124 said:
this episode sucks the story makes no sense like when the arbitor killed his wife then went back to save her that made no fucking sense and the art style was lousy

It wasn't the arbiter that killed her...
Nov 22, 2009 10:05 AM

Mar 2009
kimatg said:

um...... okay? I was like going wtf for the whole episode.
WTF was with the blurry image?

my face was like o.O when i first saw the blurr, after 15 min i was still o.O, after the episode, i faceplanted. the story was good, sort of. Hope that the rest of the anime aint like that.

!Damn, im HOT today! :D!
Nov 24, 2009 11:48 PM

Sep 2009
The story was good i understood the whole thing Arbiter doubting the covenant the covenant getting pissed at his treacherous acting so they killed his wife and he went on a killing spree.
The art style was iffy at best and the flash back only served to confuse some people about the whole plot. Only because the director wanted a orgasm of flash backs -_-

I might add that the whole episode was to "Japanese" if anyone can understand that. And one major factor of this is the general guy that kill Arbiters wife, he clearly was wearing a samurai armor outfit.

............. Can anyone say out of place ?!?!
Nov 25, 2009 3:11 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
uhh okay...

i couldn't really tell what was going on in the scenes too much with the combination of crappy version and that blurry effect.

A poor story and poor character designs is what I got out of this episode :/
p r o f i l e 👀
Nov 29, 2009 9:17 AM

Mar 2009
It was alright. The story itself was actually very good, and the big fight was pretty cool, especially with the Hunter. However, the storytelling style combined with the art direction kind of killed the episode for me. It would have been better if everything was simply shown in chronological order.
Dec 13, 2009 3:47 AM
Nov 2008
Where did you see this ? >_<
I can't find more than episode 1.Pls help.
Jan 19, 2010 4:44 AM

Jan 2010
My goodness that was awful. The story was okay but the art completely ruined it for me.
Jan 31, 2010 2:50 AM

Aug 2008
Well the story was unoriginal and the art style was terrible. It's as if they tried to cover up awful CG with a watercolour effect, but you just can't polish a turd. It's only saving grace was it's length.
Feb 6, 2010 9:07 AM

May 2009
i thought it was rather good, i didnt agree with the artstyle, but im not gunna hate it, the blurry had its advantage i think it was a past avatar that was a reknowned elite and he didnt believe in the ways of the covenent long jounery, and they killed his wife and he died, and his armour was taken in my the covenent so that all other elites who don't follow the covenent or shame it wear this armour as it became a sign of "shame" but really it was the saviour of the covenent if u played the halo games, where he frees his people sort of.

remember the anime is produced by different companies and they have different art styles, this art sytle i think was more of showing the past though a water paint effect, which i think worked rather well with everything because they related the elites to the samurai of the past.
i created a club that is building up a emotional "feels" anime collections
so if anyone wants to join it and get emotional together please come and join us <3
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=18987
Click for link^
Feb 16, 2010 12:29 PM
Feb 2008
yeah this was a fantastic episode, the animation did catch me off gaurd but after a while i got used to it, i kept thinking it was going to clear up until i realised it was the style they were going for. brilliant story as well.
Feb 18, 2010 6:36 AM

Feb 2010
Quote The Last Remaining Grunt - " HE'S A DEMON!" WHAM! hmm make that Last to die Grunt.

HAHA THAT WAS SO FUNNY! LOVED THAT PART, I never knew energy swords could be like light sabers, and godam I want to use 2 energy swords at once in Halo =.=

Do you like or wish for the Otonashi X Tachibana Kanade pairing from Angel Beats? Or just love both characters?
Then Join the club ^^:The Otonashi X Tachibana Kanade Club

Feb 19, 2010 9:16 AM

May 2009
Can't say I liked the blurry and smudged artstyle, but the episode was quite good.
Feb 25, 2010 10:27 AM

Feb 2008
besides the art style, what was so hard to follow about that story. he wouldn't join so they tried to kill him. when they failed they killed his wife. ultimately, it reminded me of the gladiator.
Feb 26, 2010 3:51 PM
Feb 2010
Story was bleh. They completely Japanese-ised the Sangheili, which isn't terrible it just doesn't make much sense. And why were the Hunter so god damn big? They're like 3 times the size they are in the Halo games. I think the watercolor thing would have worked better if they had done it on drawn images instead of CG. And I know this has been said but the Elites mouths are connected even though their armor has the manible thing (besides the Arbiter). Really just a lot of strange things in this one.
Mar 3, 2010 10:54 AM

Apr 2009
Art style was poo as everyone else has said. Story wasn't too bad, now I know how the arbiter came to be what it is. I don't understand if those were elites though, their jaws weren't separated.
Apr 26, 2010 1:58 PM

Feb 2008
I didn't care much for this episode. Like a lot of other people said, I didn't like the animation very much. The story was, as someone else put it, unoriginal. It seemed as though they were trying to make an old samurai movie that took place in the Halo universe. This episode could have been done even if all the elites were human and it really did take place in ancient Japan. What I mean is that Halo Legends is supposed to take the ideas of Japanese animators and director and apply them to the Halo Universe, right? In my opinion, the creators of this episode didn't use the settings and characters of Halo as well as they could have.

Aug 21, 2010 7:56 AM

Apr 2010
To be honest I thought the episode was pointless... and boring
Jan 5, 2011 7:38 PM

Jun 2008
List of things that bothered me in this, in order from the least bothering to the most:

5. Art style. Awkward, but original. Didn't mind much.
4. Story. Why is this happening? When did the story occur? There were a bunch of hints, but plotholes are still present.
3. Hunter size. I didn't know Hunters really grew to the size of a schoolbus. Owait, they don't. But the loads of action made up for this non-canon-ness.
2. Japanese-ness. The big buildings had Japanese architecture, the big Elite wore Samurai armor, the Elite rowing the boat had a farmer's hat, and the female Sangheili giggled... like a schoolgirl. What is this? I swear Japan has a bigger ego than Americans when it comes to anime.
1. Mouths. Why do all the background Sangheili actually have the four mandibles, while the 'main character' ones have human mouths? Genetic defects? Laziness? Seriously. It looks freaky.

Sorry for posting 2 years late :P

May 28, 2011 7:10 AM

Aug 2010
The art was... interesting. I kinda liked the story, even though I didn't totally get what was happening. Sad ending though.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jun 25, 2011 4:47 AM

Jan 2011
oh my god, my eyes hurt
and this is meant to be from the studio who animated ghost in the shell wtf
"Where will a newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite" - Motoko Kusanagi
May 6, 2013 12:04 PM

Oct 2012
Great ep, if your a halo fan or have watched any other you will understand roughly whats going on from the word go.

Great ep liked how they've decided to do both who the Humans have just attacked aswell as themselves.
Tragic ending in the ep but gotta love the action scenes really quite cool.

If your a Halo fan you'll agree when i say it was a pity their were no assassination moves used in the battle.

Nov 30, 2014 3:54 PM

Feb 2014
The art was really tiring. I coudn'tconcentrate on the story.
It was meh for me
May 10, 2016 7:59 PM

Aug 2013
It's weird seeing and hearing an Arbiter that doesn't have Keith David's sweet buttery voice coming from it's mouth.
Feb 21, 2022 9:45 PM

Jan 2009
damn The Flood survives huh and is now fighting the Covenant and Humanity

now will Humanity use the Halo weapons

i just realize that the female AI is none other than Microsoft Cortana herself

there will always be warriors so there will always be wars

Humanity should have remove the "Warrior Gene" lol
Oct 9, 2023 1:33 PM

Dec 2022
So Origins II recounts a synopsis of the Human-Covenant war, including the Great Schism. Cortana's impression of the human mind inherently drifting towards the idea of war and conflict was interesting too, though I believe this only represents a minority of them myself.

╔⏤═⏤╝ ╚⏤═⏤╗
Shaded Horizon

Sep 13, 9:36 PM
Dec 2022
Must watch for Halo Fans. Other don't watch.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Halo Legends Episode 8 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Feb 4, 2010

15 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 9, 2023 4:14 PM

Poll: » Halo Legends Episode 7 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Feb 4, 2010

12 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 9, 2023 3:54 PM

Poll: » Halo Legends Episode 6 Discussion

adamh89 - Jan 18, 2010

14 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 9, 2023 3:04 PM

Poll: » Halo Legends Episode 5 Discussion

TVV - Jan 9, 2010

12 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 9, 2023 2:45 PM

Poll: » Halo Legends Episode 4 Discussion

DarkIceXIII - Dec 18, 2009

11 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 9, 2023 2:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.