Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2009 6:28 AM
Oct 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
i dont get this rilly i meen whats going on someone tell me please
Dec 5, 2009 12:29 PM

Jul 2009
Well if you're not familiar with the story it's a bit like this:

There are two worlds. The real world and the digital world. In this 20 minute movie you are introduced to two of the "Digidestined" (there are six); Hikari and her elder brother Tai. The "Digidestined" are the children chosen to have Digimon and have frequent access to the Digiworld. They all carry a DigiVice which tells us that they are the Digidestined. However, this "Digidestined" part isn't neccesarry to know for this movie, since the characters themselves don't know yet either.

Anyway, this movie basically shows Tai and Hikari's first encounter and friendship with a Digimon. The movie is set four years prior to the series 'Digimon: Digital Monsters", and is more of a side story or an extra.

Jan 18, 2010 1:26 PM

Jun 2008
Yeah this was a prequel to the actual "Digimon: Digital Monsters" series. You should watch the first season now, then you will understand where it was going.

Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot, much more than I thought I would. It was neat seeing them as little kids, and music (although a bit repetitive) was quite charming. It brought back memories just watching it.
Aug 16, 2010 12:56 PM

May 2009
Definitely better than I expected, but not that good, even thought i'm more interested into the series now
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Aug 16, 2010 1:00 PM
Jun 2010
this was an okay part of the movie. It was nice to see how everyone who was in the first season saw the digimon, so they were chosen as the digi-destined when they became older.

I do perfer Agumon from the series more than the Agumon in this movie when Tai and Kari are younger.
Feb 11, 2011 9:32 PM

Jun 2009
I found it really cute and nostolgic.

In the American version, I laughed a lot.
May 27, 2011 8:10 AM

Feb 2010
Wow this movie is a huge piece of shit.
Oct 21, 2011 9:55 PM

Jul 2008
Many childhood memories when watching this, although I used watch the spanish dub (Basically the same as the american one) and found out they had changed many lines =P And I know because I remember watching this like 4 times a day xD... Stil now it looks interesting and the animation isn´t that bad.
Jul 24, 2012 8:48 PM

Jan 2011
Where can i download english dubbed ?
Dec 10, 2012 7:32 PM
Aug 2010
I'm not a Digimon fan. Even as a kid I didn't care for it much, I just watched it because it had cool anime creatures fighting but it was never one of my favorite shows.

And yet, that was fucking fantastic. Mamoru Hosoda's input took what would have otherwise been a pretty normal short and made it amazing, with a brilliantly understated and realistic execution. Everything from the backgrounds and camera angles to the subtle animation of the characters gave it this wonderful "what if Digimon was actually real" feel to it. It didn't feel like a Digimon episode, it felt like a self-contained story about a bunch of children in a very real world encountering something fantastical and otherwoldly.

A must watch for any anime fan.
Feb 7, 2013 5:19 PM

Feb 2012
This isn't very good, but it does look better than anything that came out of digimon ever after. No 3D CG bs, but gloriously detailed mecha dinos instead.
Mar 19, 2013 11:23 AM
Mar 2013
If anyone has watch the series then a lot of you will have remembered that they had moved away from the place that this movie is set, yet the apartment they are living in is the same in both of them
Apr 30, 2013 8:56 PM
Dec 2011
After watching the sub for the first time, I now realize that Tai has an alcoholic father. Very interesting
May 13, 2013 9:00 PM

Jul 2011
Oh god, this hit me right in the nostalgia. Really great to see this again after almost a decade.
Aug 15, 2013 11:39 AM

Feb 2011
Hikari is adorbs. OK they all are.

The background music seems familiar...

Taichi's dad is a drunk...wow. Wonder if he stops by the time the later events occur. Well some stuff was revamped, so.

Other kids saw the stuff going on, but I guess only some were Chosen.

I'm glad I watched this to complete my watch of the first series. :D
眠れないのは君のせい
Feb 16, 2014 6:26 PM

Feb 2012
Its interesting that this Film was released before the series, so, people watching didnt know what to expect.
This could be easily a short film, a little experimental and nostalgic. Oh, and this is the very first film made by the awesome Mamoru Hosoda.
A 10 for me.
Feb 9, 2015 8:33 PM

Oct 2011
Watching again in preparations for the new season.

Nostalgia <3
Feb 24, 2015 3:15 PM

Jan 2014
Damn,this brings back memories.
Mar 3, 2015 5:09 AM
Aug 2010
mecharobot said:
This isn't very good, but it does look better than anything that came out of digimon ever after. No 3D CG bs, but gloriously detailed mecha dinos instead.

Unsurprised that a dude with LOGH in his top favorite anime can't appreciate mind-blowingly atmospheric execution of a simple idea
May 14, 2015 8:37 AM

Apr 2014
Wow, this movie was released before the TV series. Pretty good moments with Taichi, Hikari and Koromon. Fighting was okay, a bit lame. But overall nostalgia outweighs, 5/5.
Mar 1, 2016 2:18 PM

Jan 2015
Hikari was just way too cute ... :D
Oct 30, 2016 1:55 AM

Nov 2008
It just your typical kaijuu movie. No explanation. Just two huge monsters beat the shit out of each other.
Where were you, when everything was falling apart?
May 9, 2017 12:27 AM
Aug 2010
driveshaft said:
It just your typical kaijuu movie. No explanation. Just two huge monsters beat the shit out of each other.

The typical kaiju movie isn't as good as this at building atmosphere though. Only the best ones.
Apr 22, 2018 12:23 PM

Apr 2017
animedark said:

I do perfer Agumon from the series more than the Agumon in this movie when Tai and Kari are younger.

They possibly are different agumons.

Expanding on this, in particular this Agumon is pretty weird compared to the one we usually see. It is bigger, cannot talk and his face is somewhat different. Same for Greymon.

A canon explanation could be that they evolved differently, because Taichi's Agumon evolved in digital world, by using data from around it, while the one in this movie evolved from real world data, and also evolved quite rapidly (many shinkais in relatively few hours)
--------
May 17, 2019 2:06 PM
Jan 2018
I loved this movie as a kid. And it was great to rewatch it brought back so many child memorys
Nov 10, 2019 9:16 AM
Jul 2018
Rewatched this in japanese and i have to say that i like the dub way more then the original, Greymon and Parrotmon don't even talk this along side the same repeated theme instead of that rock song at the end of the battle in the dub makes the original lack personality.
Apr 14, 2020 9:22 PM
Jul 2014
Beautiful movie; the animation is great. Btw, the background information is wrong, this isn't the north american movie
Apr 24, 2020 8:11 PM

May 2008
Re-watching this... it's actually not bad at all. Heck, it's pretty good! Granted, it's better when you know some context because this movie won't tell you anything. Not that's a bad; because WHO could tell these kids what a Koromon was? We would literally have to hear exposition by a narrator and I think that'd be the this short movie worse. The way it's done is real nice - just come back after seeing digimon.

But, man, how self-sufficient and smart Taichi is? He can cook, look after his sister and cat, hold the door closed to stop his parents from seeing Agumon, chase after them in the middle of the night without saying a word to mom, didn't hesitate to blow the whistle... And he's what? 5? Growing older truly does make you dumber.

I can only imagine the chewing out he got when they got home.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeOct 1, 2020 7:33 AM
Apr 25, 2020 5:33 AM

Dec 2015
@Sakarii

Also, while I admire Hosoda's work here when he was given as a subject a simple Tamagochi derivated toy, we should think about how difficult it might have been also for the writers who had to follow and make a TV series after that. Hiccups like that are, in my concern, errors that can be forgiven.

PS: thanks for your reactions to the various Adventure things. It was nice to read.

Rei_IIINov 11, 2020 10:09 AM
Apr 26, 2020 11:30 PM

May 2008
Rei_III said:
@Sakarii

Rei_III said:

You're probably right and it does make sense. I never had that with Digimon (since I stopped inserting myself in fiction by then). I like the idea of characters being special or different in their universe over the normal folks which is probably the root of my issues, heh. (I think exclusive is correct, but I got what you mean!)

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeOct 1, 2020 7:41 AM
May 1, 2020 1:14 AM

Mar 2020
they grow up so fast
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jul 3, 2020 5:28 PM

Jul 2011
The cat fighting and leaving angrily with his bowl was pretty funny.

But I wonder if Taichi and Hikaru's parents were super drunk or something for them to not to follow Taichi (after Hikaru mysteriously disappeared and the window is torn off) and not react to the noise of Agumon destroying the entire bedroom.
Sep 8, 2020 1:56 AM

Dec 2012
A boy in a field.
Digital Monster.
A baby.
A boy.
An egg is coming out the computer.
Taichi.
Hikari.
The egg hatched.
It jumped on Taichi.
lol at Black Devil.
It changed.
Dat shit.
Dat Miko scratch.
Koromon.
It can talk.
Dat shit again.
Koromon looks scared shitless.
Holy shit! Koromon broke the bed.
It grew.
lol He's drunk.
They jumped.
Koromon avoided Truck-kun.
Dat blast.
WTF! A giant egg in the sky.
A bird.
Dat electric attack.

What a great movie. Butter-fly is amazing. Rewatching this makes me miss 90's animation. The only issue you could point out in this is that Taichi's parents let him run out the house and they didn't run after him. lol
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Sep 30, 2020 2:31 PM
Jul 2016
Rob said:
A boy in a field.
Digital Monster.
A baby.
A boy.
An egg is coming out the computer.
Taichi.
Hikari.
The egg hatched.
It jumped on Taichi.
lol at Black Devil.
It changed.
Dat shit.
Dat Miko scratch.
Koromon.
It can talk.
Dat shit again.
Koromon looks scared shitless.
Holy shit! Koromon broke the bed.
It grew.
lol He's drunk.
They jumped.
Koromon avoided Truck-kun.
Dat blast.
WTF! A giant egg in the sky.
A bird.
Dat electric attack.

What a great movie. Butter-fly is amazing. Rewatching this makes me miss 90's animation. The only issue you could point out in this is that Taichi's parents let him run out the house and they didn't run after him. lol

lol liked your way of how to explain it
Sep 30, 2020 9:42 PM

Dec 2012
@todd2580 Thank you.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 10, 2020 9:53 AM
Nov 2020
Digi-rap
I liked digi-rap
ahahaha
Dec 27, 2020 5:20 AM

Jan 2009
Greymon vs Parrotmon

the other destined child are just bystanders on this but ah well its only 20 minutes so it focused mostly on Taichi and Hikari

god damn the animation of this one is so awesome
Feb 10, 2021 4:47 PM

Jul 2013
Now this is nostalgia overload. Way better than I remembered it to be.

Hosoda = peak Digimon.
Aug 12, 2021 5:10 AM
Jul 2021
I wonder how many of the commenters here are mistaking this page as being for the American "Digimon movie" and not the Hosoda short film that was butchered in said American movie.
Sep 12, 2021 2:21 PM

Dec 2013
This short was really cool! I didn't expect the animation to be that amazing!
Oct 12, 2021 9:23 AM

Aug 2018
Hm.. It's quite interesting, how much and how fast this creature changes.. I wonder, if it so quickly is able to learn the speech?.. Or if it's already in his/her data..
Why only children are witnessing all this?..
Also.. That's a lot of damage..
Well.. This is certainly unfinished..
Dec 1, 2022 10:13 PM

Feb 2020
Nice movie. Some scenes were pretty cute. ^^
Dec 25, 2022 6:52 PM

Aug 2019
This is the thread for the Digimon prequel short, right? The first part of the American "Digimon Movie"? I remember hating this because it focused on Taichi and Hikari and I really didn't care for either of them, plus since it was a prequel and I had already watched all three Digimon series by the time I watched this, it felt like such a step back in quality. 
Apr 30, 2023 6:17 AM

Aug 2019
this story was changed way more than i remembered. its not bad its definetly its own experience but i prefer the original movie(s) despite having seen this way more times
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2023 11:06 AM
May 2021
Not what I expected, but as an entry to the franchise...
I think the film was too short, just 20 mins?
Koromon was the highlight, but yeah too short of a crash course film.
Aug 27, 2023 1:05 PM

Oct 2018
Can't say I was quite interested watching it but the sheer meticulousness of the animation especially seeing the fight affect the environment makes this a good watch.
May 2, 2:07 AM
Feb 2021
I remember seeing this years and years ago on tape as part of a bigger movie which combined this one with two other shorts. Watching this was part nostalgia and part remembering this short being my favorite out of the three.

It always stood out for its mysteriousness and cool cinematography. I really like it just as its own little story, completely separate from the Digimon franchise. Two kids adopt a talking amorphous blob that came out of their computer which eventually grows into a dinosaur, becoming increasingly animalistic and erratic, culminating in a Godzilla-esque fight between it in its final form and a giant parrot.

It is just insanely cool and the artstyle is amazing <3.
Jun 20, 4:29 PM

Apr 2013
So nostalgic, I miss my childhood days!

.·:*¨ 重逢的时代 - 𝕵𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖈𝖆 𝕵𝖚𝖓𝖌 ¨*:·. 𓆩♡𓆪
𝟎:𝟒𝟐 ㅇ──────────────── 𝟑:𝟏𝟑
↺¹ |◁ ▷| ⋮≡
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.