Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 28, 8:10 PM
Mar 2018
Mikarin_Enjoyer said:
the show was so, so close to greatness
the 3D animation is beyond impressive, i hope we get this caliber of animation going forward

i think aside from the kinda rushed ending, the show really didnt knew what to do with Nina and Hina
Nina never got better as a person/character, maybe as a musician, but that comes second

and Hina was kinda there... i dont get her point, aside from accentuating how wrong Nina is for being so self-righteous
and then what? Nina remembered Hina liked "her song" so she's okay with all? i dont get the point of all this

probably because it doesnt matter, they didnt polish it because the show ended 2 minutes later lmao
we needed at least 6 episodes more to tie everything right, but it is what it is

and personally speaking, following Togenashi since its beginning and very much enjoying their music, the last song was asscheeks, worst by far

PS: if you like sad rock girls, with a show that actually ended nicely, go watch MyGo (you dont really need to know/watch anything from BanDori beforehand)
just be ready for the cringe that Ave Mujica is

I agree with basically everything you said.

Sounds like I need to give MyGO another shot. I braced myself for typical SANZIGEN animation, but the voice acting seemed distractingly amateurish and the character interactions annoyed me so I dropped it after one episode.
Jun 28, 8:31 PM

Feb 2020
No way the episode just ended right after the performance, but I still fucking love this anime!!
My AOTY so far, 9/10.
Please give me a 2nd Season!!
Jun 28, 8:43 PM
Mar 2021
Honestly with the previous episode and this episode, it felt like the writers didn't know how to end the series so they just crammed in an entire arc that needed to be longer. Episode 11 was one of the hardest hitting in the series, especially with that amazing full-length performance of Emptiness and Catharsis, and if any episode felt like a finale it was that episode. Weirdly, these final two episodes made it feel like the show was overstaying its welcome a bit even though every episode prior had me begging for more. I honestly don't know what the issue is other than it feeling rushed, but I do think there's something else too that I can't put my finger on. Like it feels less gritty and real, or something.

Edit to add: I am not upset that they lost by the way, I just think the entire competition arc was poorly executed in general
Jun 28, 9:21 PM
Apr 2024
Hot take, but I thought this was a great ending. Also I feel like a few people misunderstood the events in this episode, so I'll try my best to explain how I understand it (since, let's be honest, it was a bit rushed).

We learned about Hina, who wasn't the bullied girl but Nina's old friend. She has an exact opposite view of the world to Nina's, turning a blind eye to injustice and going with the status quo, whereas Nina will always act in accordance to what she believes is right even if it affects her negatively. But Hina's revealed to be more of a friendly rival than a true antagonist, as she actively helped Nina by telling her what Miura did. She knew that if Nina wasn't aware about Miura's actions behind the scenes, TogeToge would've unwittingly agreed to "DiaDust's proposal" of a "face off in front of the same audience", when in fact it was Miura begging DiaDust to bail them out.

So TogeToge declines their new challenge, instead sticking to their previous agreement of "whoever sells the most tickets win". They resign because they know the agency will lose money from lack of ticket sales, and they promise to pay them back. Miura tells them don't worry about the money as a last gesture of good will, and accepts their resignation.

The concert happens, and of course TogeToge gets demolished. They weren't going to magically sell the remaining 70% of the tickets in time, but for the people who did show up, they put on a great show. In the end they remain an indie band going their own way without a label, trying to achieve their goal of spreading Momoka's music while uncompromising on their ideals.

After all, if they accept DiaDust's help to save them, then what was the whole point of Momoka trying again? She left DiaDust and gave up music because DiaDust started to sell out and turn into an idol band, and Momoka couldn't handle that, despite their original promise of staying together until they were old. She blamed herself for breaking their original promise and became jaded, wallowing in self-pity. It wasn't until Nina showed up with her trademark unwavering justice that convinced Momoka that her decision was right, there's no point in all of this if you can't play music the way you want to.

Other than the fast-paced nature of the past two episodes, I thought this was a great arc. TogeToge lost the challenge, but they didn't sell out their ideals - there's nothing more rock than that!

9/10 show, not perfect but pretty damn close. It's rare to see such a realistic portrayal of teen angst that doesn't come off as unrealistic or cringey. Also, for those who say Nina didn't have any character development - You should watch the first couple of episodes again lol. She was an unbearable antisocial brat who lashed out at everyone. She's definitely calmed down throughout the show and she faces challenges head-on. She still cries (wouldn't be Girls Band Cry without at least one scene of someone crying), but her arguments are much more grounded in reality. She definitely had the most growth of the main cast.
stevejawbsJun 28, 9:51 PM
Average MAL user's media literacy:
Marinate1016 said:
Not reading allat cause I don’t care. Tensura peak. Have a good one tho
Jun 28, 9:30 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to Kimurah
Similar with Jellyfish, the finale feels kinda lackluster (though in Jellyfish I personally felt it was probably the slope was more pronounced).

My personal gripe is that despite knowing that it was an uphill battle TogeToge girls gave up before the fight even begun with Diamond Dust (what happened to Nina's spirit for having a great battle against DD?). They ditched their opportunity with Miura's agency just for their own pride? And also hindered whatever career they might have as a band in professional grounds. I mean, one of the biggest messages from Rock music is about "sticking it to the man", but what's the point if you're already willing to admit defeat before even trying? Sometimes you have to deal with the hardships and just grow up so you don't have to bow down later on. D4DJ finished in a similar note of "battle of the bands" and even though Happy Ara was smashed by Peaky P-key in the last stage, they still gave their 100% and stood with their head high.

Despite my grievances with the finale, the show is still pretty damn good in my books and remained as my Anime of the season. It had solid drama (even if it's teen angst) along with fun and light hearted moments and growth with all the girls, along with some of the best use of 3D animation in order to express all those emotions and great choreography during their stage performances.
@Kimurah Not sure what you mean here. They didn't give up the fight; they actively decided to see the contest through to the end, instead of accepting the lifeline that Diamond Dust gave them after Miura begged them for help.

Kimurah said:
Sometimes you have to deal with the hardships and just grow up so you don't have to bow down later on.

This was the whole reason Momoka left Diamond Dust. The other members wanted to become an idol band just to get big, and Momoka couldn't stand the idea. If TogeToge did the same thing here and accepted the lifeline just so they can save face and recoup the money, they'd be no better than Diamond Dust. So instead they refuse, they resign from the agency since they cost them a lot of money, and they proceed with the original contest and get destroyed. But they definitely stuck it to the man.
Marinate1016 said:
Jun 28, 9:31 PM

Jun 2015
Noooooo its over ;w;
Ending just went so fast without a proper conclusion, nonetheless a good anime from start to finish.
I wish we get a season 2 to see more about the other characters (Rupa, Tomo, Hina and the DD girls), I need more of them, I will miss these girls ;w;

Jun 28, 9:35 PM

May 2019
I thought this was a very good and realistic ending that really fit to Toge-Toge. It's not like they will automatically become so popular that they could match with DD and I really love the honesty in how the show portray the struggle of an indie band that wants to make it big in this world. Even when they know they have lost, they still choose to fight earnestly and continuing to make the music they love. I'll really miss this girls after this anime end but I know they will keep walking on this thorny path to pursuing the career as a professional rock band. It's with watching how this girls come together and forming the band making music together rehardless of what stands on their way is what makes this anime extremely good musical anime. It's been awhile to find an anime that shows how passionate they are when it comes to arguing, shouting and singing your heart out to prove that their existence isn't wrong and it's worth pursuing in what you believe to be right, probably Nina. She's such a pain in the ass but we all love her because of who she is and what she stands for. With how much success the show gained overseas, I'm fairly otimistic that this is only just the beginning of much bigger story to tell and they have planned next arcs ahead to tell how will they become a successful band eventually.
VivaceRexJun 28, 9:52 PM

Jun 28, 9:37 PM

Mar 2018
Best of the season

please give us season 2 toei!!!!
Sport Club Corinthians Paulist is the biggest football team in the world.
51 is cachaça
Jun 28, 9:43 PM
Mar 2024
Although it's not a good finale, it's good enough
Jun 28, 10:06 PM
Aug 2018
the ending was rushed but overall it was still fun to watch

my favorite episode is still episode 11 and it's better than this episode...

But if at the end of the episode TogeToge plays the song "Bleeding Hearts" might be more memorable because this song is my favorite song from TogeToge
Jun 28, 11:13 PM

May 2023
Nina is aware of what she will do next so she wants to leave the agency, Hina still tells her that what Nina did was wrong, Nina still thinks she is innocent and with her friends she wants to prove she will never be wrong.

The song they performed at the end of this episode was very good but it still couldn't beat their performance when singing Emptiness and Cartharsis, but this song will still be pleasant to listen to over time.

Unlike YoruKura where they are very rushed for the ending and the conflict is not clear, Nina and Hina's conflict is really done very well, where Nina realizes that Hina is also the same as Nina who was saved by the song DiaDust. I disagree with people who say this ending is too rushed as people say because this ending suits TogeToge, their goal here is not to be what people want and to be what they want, so they left the agency and will show that they can do it without help from other bands.

once again for this season Girls Band Cry is the top tier anime in the summer 2024, with the various anime broadcast this season GBC shows that 3DCG is not always bad.

still hope they want to continue this into season 2, hopefully we can see TogeToge appearing at Budokan in the future, Thank you very much Nina, I hope to see your behavior another day.
NezuSwallowtail_Jun 28, 11:23 PM
Jun 28, 11:30 PM
Jun 2021
bro i wasnt expecting a masterful ending but cmon 😣 jellyfish cant swim in the night was bad enough but i really wanted gurakura to be better
things felt rushed and icl the song was mid compared to literally any other song in the ost. they couldve atleast had a full version
Jun 28, 11:40 PM

Oct 2019
Yea i think pretty much everyone else said what i noticed. For a mainly CGI anime, it was well done, characters were fun and most of the songs were bangers. But this last arc felt rushed and I thought hina was unnecessary. I also wished Rupa had more time to shine
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Jun 29, 12:12 AM

Oct 2016
Amazing ahh show, but this definitely did not feel like an ending and I'd say it's on purpose, they kept it open for a potential sequel. But we'll only get that sequel if the show sells well, BD's, merch, etc., the anime staff said so. I am definitely going ahead and buying the GBC figures, so I hope that can help.

We finally see the full story behind Nina and Hina. At the end of the day, they're just very different in how they deal with situations, an idealist and a realist. As a person, I am more like Hina, a realist, but I would definitely like to become more like Nina, in the way she sticks to her ideals. Both are obviously not perfect though, neither is bad, they're just 2 sides of the same coin.

Nina is such a fantastic character, I think she just gremlin'd her way into my top 10. Also if you didn't notice, that guy Nina scared with the lamp in episode 2 was also in this episode, still scared shitless at the sight of Nina lmao.

Honestly for me, the song this episode was not as good as the others, it's still good, don't get me wrong, but I definitely need to listen to it more.

Jukki Hanada I kneel, the writing on GBC was so good, I just found out as well that he was the scriptwriter for BokuYaba and a lot of other peak shows. I also love that his reason for Rupa not getting an episode focusing on her was because Nina was too complex of a character, so she needs all the episodes she can get lmao.

With the show's popularity, I really hope someone finally officially licenses it globally, so it can reach an even wider audience and increase the chance for a sequel even more.

Given the open ending, this was by no means a perfect show, close, but not yet. This season will still have a special place in my heart though for a long time, so until a sequel comes, this is a 10/10 I fear. This is easily my AOTS and potentially AOTY as well.
Jun 29, 12:14 AM
Mar 2019
MangagnaM said:
Last 2 eps were way too rushed and poor for my liking compared to the rest, spoils the show a bit for me.

mood, could have been amazing but this entire finale leaves a lot to be desired. So much didn’t get addressed and it feels like these past two episodes did nothing. Feels shocking how few character moments we got in the dramatic conclusion. Luckily there’s already a new season confirmed so i’m hoping that’ll address the issues i had with the last two episodes.
Jun 29, 12:17 AM

Aug 2020
I hate how they made Hina a "friendly rival" type character. She turned a blind eye to the bullying of her own friend, and cut her out of her life. then she has the fucking gall to say she was right in doing so after Nina QUIT SCHOOL. I really don't think this anime understands how fucked up that situation is, and how morally bankrupt Hina is as a character. Bullying of that magnitude can easily lead to someone's life being ruined, or even suicide. Of all the times from Nina to NOT meltdown about something this has to be the worst possible time. This show is still amazing, but this episode was pretty bad.
Jun 29, 12:23 AM

Jan 2018
One season is not enough for a girls playing music animes (looking at you Jellyfish that couldn't swim). They kinda decided to return to amateur kinda fast, I would expect some drama with Tomo on that regard. But overall I think this ending of going back to solo is very fitting and makes a good final. The music industry is harsh and instead adapting to trends like DiaDust they chose to not to sell themselves out. Not exactly a happy ending, but this is to my liking
sezbian lex
Jun 29, 12:40 AM
Jan 2021
I see a lot of people complaining about the series having a bitter ending.
The ending is fine because it makes sense with the story imo, I mean did you want them to become world famous with their first song lol?

Really enjoyed this one, it's a 9/10 for me, hoping for season 2
Jun 29, 1:13 AM
Dec 2022
ngl show wasnt bad, the only thing ig i didnt like was that it was pretty much entirely cgi, but ik that going in.
ending kinda ehh but whatever
Jun 29, 1:13 AM

Jul 2021
Average finale, I found all the songs in this show generic and boring tbh but
8.49 for a typical girls band anime is crazy, this shouldn't even pass K-on
Jun 29, 1:53 AM
Jun 2023
Kuso_AR said:
Was worried about this anime's final arc after the last episode, and while it did manage to wrap up some corners needed, it still feels rather rushed with the final payoff (again, having only 2 episodes to do all of that was setting up for an issue). This barely compares to the mess that was ToruKura's last episodes, but with more time, many things could've been resolved cleanly.

Also, the anime kinda just...ends. Makes me wonder if a season 2 is coming or if that's just the last we see of the journey. An underwhelming finale is putting it lightly.

Overall, Girls Band Cry had to be the season's biggest one for me. A quality show that got completely overlooked by Licensors and Distributors while managing to produce something pheominal. Animation was on point, characterization was actively intriguing, and the music will be in my playlist for time to come.

8/10 (loses points for the ending). Would still recommend

Good news, they just confirmed that there's gonna be a continuation!! There's gonna be more!!
Jun 29, 1:59 AM

Apr 2018
For me, like this series can end without proper ending because you can easily understand and guess the conclusion about it, so i'm happy how it ended and for me it was too good. I enjoyed every bit of GaruKura, hope there'll be sequence as soon as possible!
“Inspiration unlocks the future.”-Caproni

Jun 29, 2:13 AM
Sep 2022
. And a note, I see that Nina as a character has created a lot of controversy and here in my opinion, there is a very thin line between being a person with very strong ideals and being a selfish idiot who only thinks of herself and Nina is between those two . She was the one who accepted Diamond Dust's challenge when the rest of the group didn't want to, then seeing that they weren't going to fill the concert, she also denied Diamond Dust's help out of pride and selfishness because she has to be right because yes and As a result, the entire group paid the consequences by breaking the contract with the production company, going from being professionals to starting over. Even the most indie band in the world needs money to live. I like Nina but in a band you also have to look after the well-being of all its members and I hope to see that in season 2, that momoka, Subaru, tomo and rupa put her in her place and make her see that she is not everything that she wants, that others also have opinions and needs. greetings
HormigoJun 29, 2:23 AM
Jun 29, 3:18 AM
Dec 2023
That closure for Nina and Hina`s fight is finally settled in the first season. Hoping to witness more interactions of Diamond Dust and Togenashi Togeari in the next season!!!
Jun 29, 4:11 AM
Nov 2018
It was really good and consistent with preivous episodes, only grievance is the episode length, they really should've included the full song and have the live cover the entire length at the end. The story did feel a bit rushed and the shortened version of the song just added to the feeling of incompletion. But other than that I am really glad Hanada sensei didn't pull a big one like for Sound Euphonium season 3 and avoided last minute surprises. Overall god tier story telling and amazing songs!! 10/10
cu1923Jun 29, 4:48 AM
Jun 29, 4:45 AM
Nov 2018
Reply to Hormigo
. And a note, I see that Nina as a character has created a lot of controversy and here in my opinion, there is a very thin line between being a person with very strong ideals and being a selfish idiot who only thinks of herself and Nina is between those two . She was the one who accepted Diamond Dust's challenge when the rest of the group didn't want to, then seeing that they weren't going to fill the concert, she also denied Diamond Dust's help out of pride and selfishness because she has to be right because yes and As a result, the entire group paid the consequences by breaking the contract with the production company, going from being professionals to starting over. Even the most indie band in the world needs money to live. I like Nina but in a band you also have to look after the well-being of all its members and I hope to see that in season 2, that momoka, Subaru, tomo and rupa put her in her place and make her see that she is not everything that she wants, that others also have opinions and needs. greetings
@Hormigo I understand where you're coming from and yes Nina is meant to be a child-like and immature character. We've been shown her flaws since the first episode. I agree that it's necessary for Nina to experience all the actual hardships and live through the hell once to grow up and mature.

But if after all these episodes and you're still saying it's Nina's selfish choice but not the group's collective will, then I don't think you got the core message of the show at all. The show is about 5 girls that all experienced different types of unfairness in life, and chose to fight it straight on instead of conforming to the norms. All of them stand behind Nina's choice, and the individual reason I shouldn't even have to explain because that's literally what every character arc is about.

Also they are all independent women who all have autonomy to a good extent (like they literally all live alone, also professional and employed), Nina is not shoving her ideals down their throats, they all have the ability to voice their opinions and the show demonstrates that with the many instances of the ideals clashing and changing. No offense but it's actually crazy that you think Momoka, Rupa, two grown ass adults and Subaru, Tomo, two professionals with decent YOE are just letting Nina dictate their career by playing the guitar while crying haha. Will they regret this choice in the future? Maybe, but they will all own up to it. The band is more united than you think I assure you.
Jun 29, 5:04 AM

Oct 2016
Reply to CottonModem
Mikarin_Enjoyer said:
the 3D animation is beyond impressive, i hope we get this caliber of animation going forward

i think aside from the kinda rushed ending, the show really didnt knew what to do with Nina and Hina
Nina never got better as a person/character, maybe as a musician, but that comes second

and Hina was kinda there... i dont get her point, aside from accentuating how wrong Nina is for being so self-righteous
and then what? Nina remembered Hina liked "her song" so she's okay with all? i dont get the point of all this

probably because it doesnt matter, they didnt polish it because the show ended 2 minutes later lmao
we needed at least 6 episodes more to tie everything right, but it is what it is

and personally speaking, following Togenashi since its beginning and very much enjoying their music, the last song was asscheeks, worst by far

PS: if you like sad rock girls, with a show that actually ended nicely, go watch MyGo (you dont really need to know/watch anything from BanDori beforehand)

I agree with basically everything you said.

Sounds like I need to give MyGO another shot. I braced myself for typical SANZIGEN animation, but the voice acting seemed distractingly amateurish and the character interactions annoyed me so I dropped it after one episode.
@CottonModem i think the girls had no previous voice acting experience (obviously because they arent voice actors) they becoming one was a by-product of the project (although the drummer was the center for an idol group, Run Girls Run, some time ago)

but yeah, give MyGo a try, in terms of being a drama, its really really good, its the only show that turned me around completely on the cast (hated some of the girls, didnt care for some, really liked some just to have all that flipped around)

i like Sanzigen's animation, but there's no arguing GBC was miles better
Jun 29, 5:13 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to cu1923
@Hormigo I understand where you're coming from and yes Nina is meant to be a child-like and immature character. We've been shown her flaws since the first episode. I agree that it's necessary for Nina to experience all the actual hardships and live through the hell once to grow up and mature.

But if after all these episodes and you're still saying it's Nina's selfish choice but not the group's collective will, then I don't think you got the core message of the show at all. The show is about 5 girls that all experienced different types of unfairness in life, and chose to fight it straight on instead of conforming to the norms. All of them stand behind Nina's choice, and the individual reason I shouldn't even have to explain because that's literally what every character arc is about.

Also they are all independent women who all have autonomy to a good extent (like they literally all live alone, also professional and employed), Nina is not shoving her ideals down their throats, they all have the ability to voice their opinions and the show demonstrates that with the many instances of the ideals clashing and changing. No offense but it's actually crazy that you think Momoka, Rupa, two grown ass adults and Subaru, Tomo, two professionals with decent YOE are just letting Nina dictate their career by playing the guitar while crying haha. Will they regret this choice in the future? Maybe, but they will all own up to it. The band is more united than you think I assure you.
@cu1923 I understand what you are saying, but in these two episodes it has been clear that it was Nina who pushed the group to make certain decisions. I do not deny with this that the others did not agree, but as was seen in the previous chapter Neither Subaru, nor momoka, nor rupa, nor tomo agreed to accept that challenge, they knew it would be a disaster. Why did they do it? Who knows, maybe to teach Nina a lesson? Everything has been based on overcoming Diamond Dust, very understandable for Momoka and Nina, because they have personal implications with that group, but neither Subaru nor Rupa nor Tomo had those implications and I do not deny it, they accepted that situation, even if it was not with them. The issue. Having said this, it is my personal opinion. I would simply have liked a much broader debate among group members about which way to go. greetings
Jun 29, 5:47 AM

Dec 2016
stevejawbs said:
Not sure what you mean here. They didn't give up the fight; they actively decided to see the contest through to the end, instead of accepting the lifeline that Diamond Dust gave them after Miura begged them for help.

They forfeited the 2 day challenge from Diamond Dust. The challenge was obviously going to be an uphill battle, but it would have helped them boost up their name among new fans. Even Nina said that they knew they lost once she jumped on the stage and started MCing. They went in with a defeatist stance rather than try to give their best despite the obvious impossible challenge (their new song wasn't good either compared to their previous hits).

They also rejected Miura's plan and decided to go solo indie, which makes no sense at all, specially since Rupa & Tomo wanted to make it big in the first place.

stevejawbs said:
This was the whole reason Momoka left Diamond Dust. The other members wanted to become an idol band just to get big, and Momoka couldn't stand the idea. If TogeToge did the same thing here and accepted the lifeline just so they can save face and recoup the money, they'd be no better than Diamond Dust. So instead they refuse, they resign from the agency since they cost them a lot of money, and they proceed with the original contest and get destroyed. But they definitely stuck it to the man.

Which again, goes against the whole point the series has been banging with a hammer of growing up. They decided to go with the most riskful path that will lead them to sure failure or moderate success at best and they'll have to disband anyway because they cannot sustain themselves professionally as an indie band. The parallels aren't even there as you make it seem, Diamond Dust wanted to turn the band into something totally different. Miura's offer was about providing them bigger venues and making the effort to attract bigger audiences, not changing their band identity.

Money can be recouped in the long term (heck they even offered to pay up in time as indies) so why not stick to Miura's plan and pay the agency by working with their strategy? (Miura's agency were already absorbing the losses, they didn't bother to send them a bill, because that's part of their job as an agency looking for new talents). Their resolution to drop out from the agency makes absolutely no sense as professionals (even Tanaka tried to convince them to stay because he knew they had something good going on).

KimurahJun 29, 6:02 AM
Jun 29, 6:08 AM
Nov 2018
Reply to Hormigo
@cu1923 I understand what you are saying, but in these two episodes it has been clear that it was Nina who pushed the group to make certain decisions. I do not deny with this that the others did not agree, but as was seen in the previous chapter Neither Subaru, nor momoka, nor rupa, nor tomo agreed to accept that challenge, they knew it would be a disaster. Why did they do it? Who knows, maybe to teach Nina a lesson? Everything has been based on overcoming Diamond Dust, very understandable for Momoka and Nina, because they have personal implications with that group, but neither Subaru nor Rupa nor Tomo had those implications and I do not deny it, they accepted that situation, even if it was not with them. The issue. Having said this, it is my personal opinion. I would simply have liked a much broader debate among group members about which way to go. greetings
@Hormigo All good, I respect your opinion but respectfully speaking it is interesting you thought all the smiley faces and supportive remarks everyone gave Nina was disingenuine. Like Tomo literally said "that's what I like about you".

Out of everyone, the most unfriendly girl ever (who literally lost friends over being blunt), first called out how impulsive and "wrong" Nina's choice is to put herself in danger to help some unfamiliar girl in her class, and on top of acknowledging that stubbornness and immaturity, still chose to support Nina. If that isn't genuine I don't know what is.

Also they did not quit the agency to teach Nina a lesson bro that is the most childish thing ever lol. Again, Subaru, Momoka, Rupa, and Tomo are all responsible people, they really are. I really don't know why you'd think people that had been through as much as they had, tasted all but the sweetness of life would ever think it is a good idea to punish a 17-year-old girl who's just out of a smaller town and a complete newbie to the industry rather than just having a proper talk.

First, being responsible means taking up responsibility. Everyone agreed to leave the agency, that not only makes any consequences afterwards their individual responsibility but also entails legal liabilities that are not Nina's to bear alone.

Second, being independent means having your own voice. Just echoing my previous point but they are all individuals with professional experience that have been contributing to society. They KNOW how and when to voice their opinions, let alone keeping their best interest in mind while making a decision as big as quitting an agency.

Third, being mature means knowing how to treat other people with respect. Quitting the agency as a means to punish a minor that is the least experienced in the group is UNACCEPTABLE behavior for a professional and an adult. The right thing to do, which everyone had all done at some point is to help and guide that person instead (Momoka and Subaru teaching Nina about the industry/contracts, Rupa sharing her own story to help push Nina to resolve her family issues, and Tomo giving her honest opinion/support to Nina on guitar).

I hope the paragraphs could at least change your mind to some extent. It hurts to see that you would think Momoka out of all people will ever wish ill upon Nina, when she is literally the goat for immediately owning up to the new song flopping (when it's not even her fault entirely) to protect everyone else's pride and interest.
Jun 29, 6:10 AM

Dec 2016
cu1923 said:
Also they are all independent women who all have autonomy to a good extent (like they literally all live alone, also professional and employed)

Rupa and Tomo quit their job at the fast food place after they got the offer from Miura. Nina left the same job even before Rupa & Tomo did, not to mention that her parents were paying up her appartment all this time at least before Miura showed up. Subaru doesn't have an actual job, she's been a highschool girl studying to become an actress due to her grandmother's overbearing prescence. The only one with a steady job has been Momoka.

You can't say that they are ALL independent and have autonomy, specially after they ditched Miura's offer and now have to look for new jobs. (except Subaru & Momoka)
Jun 29, 6:29 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to cu1923
@Hormigo All good, I respect your opinion but respectfully speaking it is interesting you thought all the smiley faces and supportive remarks everyone gave Nina was disingenuine. Like Tomo literally said "that's what I like about you".

Out of everyone, the most unfriendly girl ever (who literally lost friends over being blunt), first called out how impulsive and "wrong" Nina's choice is to put herself in danger to help some unfamiliar girl in her class, and on top of acknowledging that stubbornness and immaturity, still chose to support Nina. If that isn't genuine I don't know what is.

Also they did not quit the agency to teach Nina a lesson bro that is the most childish thing ever lol. Again, Subaru, Momoka, Rupa, and Tomo are all responsible people, they really are. I really don't know why you'd think people that had been through as much as they had, tasted all but the sweetness of life would ever think it is a good idea to punish a 17-year-old girl who's just out of a smaller town and a complete newbie to the industry rather than just having a proper talk.

First, being responsible means taking up responsibility. Everyone agreed to leave the agency, that not only makes any consequences afterwards their individual responsibility but also entails legal liabilities that are not Nina's to bear alone.

Second, being independent means having your own voice. Just echoing my previous point but they are all individuals with professional experience that have been contributing to society. They KNOW how and when to voice their opinions, let alone keeping their best interest in mind while making a decision as big as quitting an agency.

Third, being mature means knowing how to treat other people with respect. Quitting the agency as a means to punish a minor that is the least experienced in the group is UNACCEPTABLE behavior for a professional and an adult. The right thing to do, which everyone had all done at some point is to help and guide that person instead (Momoka and Subaru teaching Nina about the industry/contracts, Rupa sharing her own story to help push Nina to resolve her family issues, and Tomo giving her honest opinion/support to Nina on guitar).

I hope the paragraphs could at least change your mind to some extent. It hurts to see that you would think Momoka out of all people will ever wish ill upon Nina, when she is literally the goat for immediately owning up to the new song flopping (when it's not even her fault entirely) to protect everyone else's pride and interest.
@cu1923 I'm sorry, my native language is not English and it's hard for me to make myself understood. I'm not saying that Momoka or the others wanted to hurt Nina or punish her, they simply wanted her to see reality. before your eyes. Subaru, momoka, tomo and rupa (because they are not stupid) they knew that accepting that Diamond dust challenge was a mistake and yet they accepted, still aware of the reality, that Nina did not want see . I highly doubt that Subaru, Momoka and the others were surprised by the result. Having said that, thank you, this exchange of opinions is appreciated, and although you have not completely convinced me, in some Yeah. Greetings
Jun 29, 7:21 AM

May 2023
need season 2 ASAP!!
Jun 29, 8:15 AM

Jun 2016
oh noooo !!!

why this anime already end !!

best girl band music so far !!!
Jun 29, 8:22 AM
Apr 2020
Reply to stevejawbs
@Kimurah Not sure what you mean here. They didn't give up the fight; they actively decided to see the contest through to the end, instead of accepting the lifeline that Diamond Dust gave them after Miura begged them for help.

Kimurah said:
Sometimes you have to deal with the hardships and just grow up so you don't have to bow down later on.

stevejawbs said:
Not sure what you mean here. They didn't give up the fight; they actively decided to see the contest through to the end, instead of accepting the lifeline that Diamond Dust gave them after Miura begged them for help.

If rejecting Diamond Dust's help was what they intended to do, then wouldn't it be better to just stick with the original plan?
Jun 29, 10:43 AM

Jun 2019
My 280th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.

Jun 29, 10:45 AM

May 2012
what a fun watch, sad to see it end, was definitely one of the highlights of my week
Jun 29, 12:26 PM
Dec 2020
i didn't like this one tbh. characters were bad, and the songs were forgettable.
Jun 29, 3:01 PM

May 2021
Absolutely wonderful. I am so glad that I was able to catch this show. Certainly excited for it to be more widely available later on. I will 100% be buying a blu-ray version.

Really have nothing but love for this entire project. The music from start to finish has been amazing. The animation, voice acting, character designs, everything about the show was exactly what I wanted from this.

I wish nothing but the best for the girls and their band. I'd love to one day see them at a live show. Pinkys up, what a banger.

Season 2 when?! ♡
Jun 29, 4:14 PM
Nov 2014
I'm gonna miss this anime. It felt like a special experience each week and the chemistry between the girls felt so natural. Since it's been 4 weeks and the confession scene was never brought up again a single time, it confirms to me that the scene was not romantic. Even if it ever proves to be, I'm glad they didn't focus on it more since we would lose time on the other members (I wish we got a Rupa episode). It was honestly the only thing I could think about for a few weeks because all the yuri lovers were absolutely convinced that it had to be a romance confession, even though the story didn't point that direction at all. Hopefully we have a second season in our future, for now I'll just keep binging their music.
Jun 29, 6:00 PM
Feb 2024
Last episode feels a bit rushed and I guess that was because the team didn't know if there would be a second season so they tried to tie up the story as much as they could. But congratz and happy to see it would get more episodes!

To me, this is a hidden gem I would give it a 10/10 before half of the season, when the score was around 7.5 by then. This anime truly grabs the spirit of Rock music and is The Best anime in the same genre. I love K-on, Bocchi the Rock, MyGo... however none of them touches the topic of "what Rock music truly is". Although maybe in a sarcastic way, you can even see some scenes in some of those animes enhancing the stereotype of Rock bands as just a bunch of violent people screaming on the stage and breaking their guitars...

Then we finally have GBC, thank god. The storyline is such a rollercoaster, every character in the story, their struggles, motivations, and reactions are... very understandable if you enjoy Rock/Metal/Punk at some point in your life. In comparison, the storyline of another anime has similar settings this season now feels like a joke. Also the motion capture and LIVE are insane, the animation quality and camera movement would make you feel it's a real life show. Just like Bocchi the Rock, this anime now sets the new standard of 3D animation for virtual bands.

I'm happy and grateful to see this great anime getting praised and would have a second season. Excellent work by the team!
shanehouJun 29, 6:03 PM
Jun 29, 6:10 PM
Nov 2023
shanehou said:
Last episode feels a bit rushed and I guess that was because the team didn't know if there would be a second season so they tried to tie up the story as much as they could. But congratz and happy to see it would get more episodes!

To me, this is a hidden gem I would give it a 10/10 before half of the season, when the score was around 7.5 by then. This anime truly grabs the spirit of Rock music and is The Best anime in the same genre. I love K-on, Bocchi the Rock, MyGo... however none of them touches the topic of "what Rock music truly is". Although maybe in a sarcastic way, you can even see some scenes in some of those animes enhancing the stereotype of Rock bands as just a bunch of violent people screaming on the stage and breaking their guitars...

Then we finally have GBC, thank god. The storyline is such a rollercoaster, every character in the story, their struggles, motivations, and reactions are... very understandable if you enjoy Rock/Metal/Punk at some point in your life. In comparison, the storyline of another anime has similar settings this season now feels like a joke. Also the motion capture and LIVE are insane, the animation quality and camera movement would make you feel it's a real life show. Just like Bocchi the Rock, this anime now sets the new standard of 3D animation for virtual bands.

I'm happy and grateful to see this great anime getting praised and would have a second season. Excellent work by the team!

Uh..No…GBC is not that good if im being honest, BTR & K-ON! Are better by a million in every way, im huge Rock/Metal fan and this anime (which is not even good) doesnt even come close to those two.
Jun 29, 8:38 PM
Aug 2023
Bangers anime. I only feel the people who had to watch by subtitles... I had no struggles to watch it since I'm japanese so the show was perfect. But who doesn't speak japanese the experience of watching this incredible show was barely completely ruined. I checked a few translation done and it was badly translated and also funny to see the way did they translate and make the subtitles. Who had done that job surely does not speak japanese and translated by using translation tools or AI. Overall this show is amazing. I would recommend rather the person speaking or not japanese. I love band animes so it was fun. I gotta watch it once again sooner. Bloody amazing
Jun 29, 8:50 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to Kimurah
stevejawbs said:

They forfeited the 2 day challenge from Diamond Dust. The challenge was obviously going to be an uphill battle, but it would have helped them boost up their name among new fans. Even Nina said that they knew they lost once she jumped on the stage and started MCing. They went in with a defeatist stance rather than try to give their best despite the obvious impossible challenge (their new song wasn't good either compared to their previous hits).

They also rejected Miura's plan and decided to go solo indie, which makes no sense at all, specially since Rupa & Tomo wanted to make it big in the first place.

stevejawbs said:

Which again, goes against the whole point the series has been banging with a hammer of growing up. They decided to go with the most riskful path that will lead them to sure failure or moderate success at best and they'll have to disband anyway because they cannot sustain themselves professionally as an indie band. The parallels aren't even there as you make it seem, Diamond Dust wanted to turn the band into something totally different. Miura's offer was about providing them bigger venues and making the effort to attract bigger audiences, not changing their band identity.

Money can be recouped in the long term (heck they even offered to pay up in time as indies) so why not stick to Miura's plan and pay the agency by working with their strategy? (Miura's agency were already absorbing the losses, they didn't bother to send them a bill, because that's part of their job as an agency looking for new talents). Their resolution to drop out from the agency makes absolutely no sense as professionals (even Tanaka tried to convince them to stay because he knew they had something good going on).

@Kimurah ...I think we interpreted the show very differently. Some of it is even completely opposite of my interpretation, which is very strange to me. I'll provide lines and examples here, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The "2 day challenge from Diamond Dust" was Miura's idea, after she went to them and begged for help. She specifically asked them to have both groups play both days, so that they can sell out both days and not have TogeToge look like they lost. This was explained by Hina when she met up with Nina. Miura wasn't going to tell the band about her actions, and instead framed it as "DiaDust wants us to play both days so that we can face off in front of the same audience" (as Tomo explains in their band meeting). Without knowing the context that Miura begged them for this offer, then yeah, this seems like DiaDust is changing their mind and asking for a fair challenge. But because Hina told Nina about it, Nina knew that simply accepting this new challenge means they already lost, since it was a pity offer after Miura begged them for help.

While on stage, Nina said they knew they lost, because... they did lose, lol. The original challenge was who will sell the most seats, and they knew before the show even started they lost, because they did not sell all their tickets while DiaDust did (not to mention DiaDust already played the previous day, to a sold-out venue). She didn't "go into it with a defeatist stance", because the challenge was already over by that point.

The decision to go solo indie was just them repenting for their decision of rejecting the offer.

I honestly didn't see a message of "growing up", which makes your statement about the show "banging with a hammer" all the more confusing. There's the aspect of facing your pasts and moving on, but the main point of the series is about not giving up on your dreams, no matter how hard it may be, i.e. the opposite of "growing up". This is backed up by Nina quitting school and working part-time to support her new dream of being a musician, Momoka trying again to be a musician despite her fear of failing again, Subaru finally telling her grandmother that she wants to be a musician instead of an actor (for which she has a perfect career already lined up for), Tomo willing to give her input again even if it means she may be scorned for it, and Rupa... well, it's not clear, she's definitely the least developed character. "Growing up" would mean facing reality and not pursuing your outlandish dreams, but this is obviously not the case. If you could provide some examples of the show saying that growing up is the right thing to do, I'd love to hear it.

There was a very obvious parallel with Miura's offer and what DiaDust did in the past. Miura even says "I had a feeling this would go against your principles. I guess I'm also to blame", meaning going behind their backs to get out of the original challenge and then not telling them about it is going against what the band wants. Doing what they don't want to do is exactly why Momoka left DiaDust in the first place, hence it made no sense to do it again. If they accept defeat by going along with their pity offer just to get more fans or money, then again, that's exactly what DiaDust did in the past, going against their principles just to get more exposure.

Tanaka says like 5 lines (using the "good" fansub): "You're quitting?" (yes) "For another agency?" (no [...]) "Was there a problem?" (It's our own decision) "Spoken like true greenhorns" "Come back in 10 years if you survive until then; I'll make you something for free". Where in this dialogue is he trying to convince them to stay?!? Did we watch the same episode!?
Marinate1016 said:
Jun 29, 8:56 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to Romax24245
stevejawbs said:

If rejecting Diamond Dust's help was what they intended to do, then wouldn't it be better to just stick with the original plan?
@Romax24245 Just to clarify, what do you mean by "original plan"?
They did go with the original challenge of who sells the most seats, and they did play the concert at the end despite losing the challenge.
Marinate1016 said:
Jun 29, 9:26 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to Kimurah
cu1923 said:
Also they are all independent women who all have autonomy to a good extent (like they literally all live alone, also professional and employed)

Rupa and Tomo quit their job at the fast food place after they got the offer from Miura. Nina left the same job even before Rupa & Tomo did, not to mention that her parents were paying up her appartment all this time at least before Miura showed up. Subaru doesn't have an actual job, she's been a highschool girl studying to become an actress due to her grandmother's overbearing prescence. The only one with a steady job has been Momoka.

You can't say that they are ALL independent and have autonomy, specially after they ditched Miura's offer and now have to look for new jobs. (except Subaru & Momoka)
@Kimurah Nina was already working at the restaurant in episode 8 to pay for her apartment (it's where she sends back the allowance/checkbook to her parents), before Miura is introduced in episode 10, and way before they actually sign the contract in episode 12. She already had a second part-time job by episode 11.

For Rupa and Tomo, I mean, they're still independent and have autonomy even if they don't currently have a job by the last episode's end. Being in-between jobs doesn't mean you're not independent, unless you're actively depending on someone else for money, which there hasn't been any indication of that happening.

Subaru's the only one who's not independent, I'll give you that. It'd be interesting to see what happens with her, since they didn't delve into the consequences of her telling her grandmother about not pursuing acting. The grandmother seems like someone who'd cut her off completely, forcing her to either move back in with her parents or pull a Nina and find a job to pay for her living expenses. If there's ever a season 2, this would be interesting to explore (maybe Nina and Subaru becoming roommates?!).
Marinate1016 said:
Jun 30, 12:31 AM

Dec 2016
This is immediately going in my favorites. What a good fucking show man. So raw.
Jun 30, 1:22 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to stevejawbs
@Kimurah ...I think we interpreted the show very differently. Some of it is even completely opposite of my interpretation, which is very strange to me. I'll provide lines and examples here, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The "2 day challenge from Diamond Dust" was Miura's idea, after she went to them and begged for help. She specifically asked them to have both groups play both days, so that they can sell out both days and not have TogeToge look like they lost. This was explained by Hina when she met up with Nina. Miura wasn't going to tell the band about her actions, and instead framed it as "DiaDust wants us to play both days so that we can face off in front of the same audience" (as Tomo explains in their band meeting). Without knowing the context that Miura begged them for this offer, then yeah, this seems like DiaDust is changing their mind and asking for a fair challenge. But because Hina told Nina about it, Nina knew that simply accepting this new challenge means they already lost, since it was a pity offer after Miura begged them for help.

While on stage, Nina said they knew they lost, because... they did lose, lol. The original challenge was who will sell the most seats, and they knew before the show even started they lost, because they did not sell all their tickets while DiaDust did (not to mention DiaDust already played the previous day, to a sold-out venue). She didn't "go into it with a defeatist stance", because the challenge was already over by that point.

The decision to go solo indie was just them repenting for their decision of rejecting the offer.

I honestly didn't see a message of "growing up", which makes your statement about the show "banging with a hammer" all the more confusing. There's the aspect of facing your pasts and moving on, but the main point of the series is about not giving up on your dreams, no matter how hard it may be, i.e. the opposite of "growing up". This is backed up by Nina quitting school and working part-time to support her new dream of being a musician, Momoka trying again to be a musician despite her fear of failing again, Subaru finally telling her grandmother that she wants to be a musician instead of an actor (for which she has a perfect career already lined up for), Tomo willing to give her input again even if it means she may be scorned for it, and Rupa... well, it's not clear, she's definitely the least developed character. "Growing up" would mean facing reality and not pursuing your outlandish dreams, but this is obviously not the case. If you could provide some examples of the show saying that growing up is the right thing to do, I'd love to hear it.

There was a very obvious parallel with Miura's offer and what DiaDust did in the past. Miura even says "I had a feeling this would go against your principles. I guess I'm also to blame", meaning going behind their backs to get out of the original challenge and then not telling them about it is going against what the band wants. Doing what they don't want to do is exactly why Momoka left DiaDust in the first place, hence it made no sense to do it again. If they accept defeat by going along with their pity offer just to get more fans or money, then again, that's exactly what DiaDust did in the past, going against their principles just to get more exposure.

Tanaka says like 5 lines (using the "good" fansub): "You're quitting?" (yes) "For another agency?" (no [...]) "Was there a problem?" (It's our own decision) "Spoken like true greenhorns" "Come back in 10 years if you survive until then; I'll make you something for free". Where in this dialogue is he trying to convince them to stay?!? Did we watch the same episode!?
@stevejawbs Momoka left Diamond Dust because they wanted her to leave her style of music to succeed and a producer arrives with Miura where she gives them their opportunity to make the music they want to make and they make the worst decision of their lives, accepting a challenge from Diamond Dust when they knew They had no chance of winning, in fact Subaru, Momoka, Rupa and Tomo vote against accepting that challenge, but Nina is obsessed with Diamond Dust and in the end they all accept. Miura asks Diamond Dust for help, after seeing that the song failed and that they barely sold 30% of the tickets, but out of pride and selfishness (Nina herself tells Miura when they break the contract) they do not accept the help. At what point does Miura tell you that you have to change your music to succeed? never. He concluded, many of you have seen the series as the "good" togetoge and the "bad" Diamond Dust and here there are no good guys or bad guys, everyone chose their own path, and one is as respectable as the other, that's the world of music , your opportunities come to you and you take advantage of them or not. Diamond dust took advantage of them and they achieved their objectives, and togetoge did not take advantage of them and they still have to achieve their objectives. In the end, their obsession (especially with Momoka and Nina) towards Diamond Dust made them make bad decisions. greetings
Jun 30, 2:55 AM

Sep 2022
Reply to Mikarin_Enjoyer

@Mikarin_Enjoyer Thank you for recommendation of 'It's MyGo'! I loved it!
MyetxJun 30, 5:37 PM
Jun 30, 4:20 AM
Apr 2020
Reply to stevejawbs
@Romax24245 Just to clarify, what do you mean by "original plan"?
They did go with the original challenge of who sells the most seats, and they did play the concert at the end despite losing the challenge.
@stevejawbs

I just feel that their decision to quit Miura's talent agency wasn't necessary for doing so.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» What you guys think about the main characters?

negatives - May 3

30 by Railey2 »»
Oct 6, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - May 24

112 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Sep 19, 6:03 PM

» GBC to receive smartphone game adaptation.

Tacsk0 - Aug 31

9 by akatsukinoluna »»
Sep 19, 10:57 AM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 6 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 10

42 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Sep 18, 6:36 PM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 4 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Apr 26

44 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Sep 15, 1:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.