Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 18, 8:35 PM
Jan 2020
Tryna strike a chord it's probably a minooorrrrrrrrr
May 18, 8:52 PM
Mar 2024
BEST EPISODE I'VE EVER WATCHED
May 18, 9:01 PM

Dec 2021
I'm curious about Koharu's backstory. Honestly, I've never seen plastic surgery being so openly discussed in anime, and it's shown and talked about so casually too. Well, if by "shown" I mean censoring the entire screen, then yes, lol.

A more laid-back episode compared to the past couple. The scene with Kano and Mahiru getting caught by the police for riding a bike together was hilarious, xD.

May 18, 9:17 PM

Sep 2010
MegamiRem said:
Koharu's a cool oneesan, pretty and stacked too. Are those really artificial though? Whats that scar on her back from? I hope they explore her character more.
I'd guess a removed tattoo. Maybe a flower? 2nd choice, burn-mark, but that seems unlikely.
Come to think of it, 3 of the 4 leading girls have changed hair color since they were younger.

YuukiTheFlash said:
Kiui seems the most confident and well thought out one, with her decision to go to "Waseda" School of Education so that she can be trained to become a middle school teacher.
I rewound that portion a bit thinking it should have been "waseda" instead of "wasoda", but I guess that's just the practice of slightly changing names in anime to make the reference less explicit.

I kind of thought Kano just went to the bike course because she had no idea what to aim for at that moment, and following Kiui there was an easy option with a relatively small commitment.
I'm surprised a bike rental company would even rent to a newly-licensed rider.

Also, Mahiru's form: 20th of May is tomorrow. Coincidence?
TakataMay 18, 9:21 PM
May 18, 9:21 PM
Dec 2021
May 18, 9:50 PM

Jul 2012
Reply to HajimeNozomiUwU
@n4ytcg It's a joke. No need to take it seriously
@HajimeNozomiUwU It's fucking bizarre and they put way too much emphasis on plastic surgery and tit size. Feels totally out of place. Kiui is supposed to be some kind of introvert and then she's like "Oh wow whip 'em out for me"
May 18, 10:00 PM

Mar 2008
Semi serious episode with them thinking about their futures. Glad they are overcoming it.

All hail Kiui's natural G cups. ;)
May 18, 10:13 PM

May 2023
Kiui is truly my favorite character in this anime.

So what is Kiui's cup size, Koharu looks like she will be an important character in the next few episodes, i have my suspicions about her.

Kano was finally able to get her driving license and could give Mahiru a piggyback ride, Kano and Mahiru on the beach are very cute.
May 18, 10:22 PM

May 2015
Reply to Neneaux
@HajimeNozomiUwU It's fucking bizarre and they put way too much emphasis on plastic surgery and tit size. Feels totally out of place. Kiui is supposed to be some kind of introvert and then she's like "Oh wow whip 'em out for me"
@Neneaux Yes, I felt the same way, she seemed to me too totally out of place and an unnecessary addition until after finishing the episode I realised that this show has had so many little psychological insights related to the girls figuring themselves out (like Mei realising how important is her competitiveness in her motivation) and otherwise so well directed and written that it is kinda hard to imagine that they would just force a character into the story just for the sake of boobs touching and size comparing. There is a scene in the bath where we could see she had something like a burn mark on her back or more like the remains of a removed tattoo that had the shape of a rose. That made me wonder what kind of self searching path did she go through in that past that had made her have a tattoo then later have it removed, and then again have body plastic surgeries she is so proud of and showy now. What did she cover up with those modifications, why did she hide behind them? BTW both of the girls, but in particular the characters of Watase and Kano developed so much in this one episode that it is hard to believe how much they are able to compress into so little a time - so much so that it made me compare this show to the anime I was watching before this (Whispering You a Love Song) the characters and the development of which seemed in comparison extremely bland and shallow.
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
May 18, 10:53 PM

Apr 2016
Reply to Neneaux
@Neneaux It was Kano who suggested it, not Kiui. And it was just a plot device / fanservice setup. Fanservice is not an oddity for this anime.
May 18, 11:01 PM
Oct 2019
Kano struggling about what to do in the future.
not really focusing on the music stuff in this episode.

God damn 1 Million Yen Booba.. LMAO that scene

May 18, 11:36 PM

Sep 2010
Reply to Ishitateso
@Neneaux Yes, I felt the same way, she seemed to me too totally out of place and an unnecessary addition until after finishing the episode I realised that this show has had so many little psychological insights related to the girls figuring themselves out (like Mei realising how important is her competitiveness in her motivation) and otherwise so well directed and written that it is kinda hard to imagine that they would just force a character into the story just for the sake of boobs touching and size comparing. There is a scene in the bath where we could see she had something like a burn mark on her back or more like the remains of a removed tattoo that had the shape of a rose. That made me wonder what kind of self searching path did she go through in that past that had made her have a tattoo then later have it removed, and then again have body plastic surgeries she is so proud of and showy now. What did she cover up with those modifications, why did she hide behind them? BTW both of the girls, but in particular the characters of Watase and Kano developed so much in this one episode that it is hard to believe how much they are able to compress into so little a time - so much so that it made me compare this show to the anime I was watching before this (Whispering You a Love Song) the characters and the development of which seemed in comparison extremely bland and shallow.
@Ishitateso I would guess what Kiui sees in Koharu is someone who isn't afraid to be seen as "not normal", even to near-strangers (assuming cosmetic surgery is considered "not normal"). Plus they seem to have some common interests. (Aside, if "Maya no Uta" was "Saya no Uta", what was "Fuisora"? I haven't followed VNs for a long time.)
May 19, 12:46 AM

May 2015
Reply to Takata
@Ishitateso I would guess what Kiui sees in Koharu is someone who isn't afraid to be seen as "not normal", even to near-strangers (assuming cosmetic surgery is considered "not normal"). Plus they seem to have some common interests. (Aside, if "Maya no Uta" was "Saya no Uta", what was "Fuisora"? I haven't followed VNs for a long time.)
@Takata I think it is rather the opposite way, her body modifications are aimed to conform to everyday beauty standards that make her feel good and seeked after, as she herself said so too ("Usually, I am the one who gets asked for info"). BTW this tension between not wanting to be "normal" while struggling to become an accepted and respected part of the group is a theme that comes up in japanese stories all the time (and not just in anime). Sakura Quest does a good job showing how not 'normal' persons, archetypical fools or outsiders can bring new life into a community and help with its challenges by approaching them with fresh thoughts and perspectives.
IshitatesoMay 19, 1:00 AM
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
May 19, 4:57 AM
Aug 2015
Oh, BD ep. Suddenly everyone realizes that their lives are pointless. Most everyone decides to do something concrete about it. Oppai is also pointless. Let's hope the BD corrects that.
May 19, 5:14 AM
Nov 2020
Alfredo-Sauce said:
With all the girls except for Kano planning out their futures Kano appears to feel left out but I think she will have a bright future if she focuses on something like singing.

Side note, not sure what role Koharu will play in this series but it looks like she may have been burned hence the scar on her back and the plastic surgeries she's had done.

hmm I thought it was maybe a tattoo she got removed but that also makes sense
May 19, 5:15 AM
Nov 2020
Kano and Mahiru being very gay this episode, honestly I would be so happy if the anime ends up going that direction and it feels possible.
May 19, 6:03 AM
Sep 2016
The yuri is getting stronger by day!!!!

Kiui-sensei!!!!! Kiui is the hero we all need growing up....

Mahiru: "This is the first time I've seen jellyfish is the wild"
(the girls started running (towards the sea?))
Me: No! No! No! No! No! Jellyfish stings are REALLY bad news!!!!

Also, Mahiru got picked up by her gyaru GF on a bike after school in front of her school mates.... Damn! the yuri IS getting stronger!!!!

PS: I don't care what you say, I'll stand by my yuri shippings. A man can dreams, okay.... wwwwww
uncleqrowMay 19, 6:10 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
May 19, 6:43 AM

Mar 2008
Should driver schools use such huge and potent motorbikes to teach teens?
I can't believe they gave a license to Kano! Surprised that she didn't killed herself and Mahiro in the end.
But what to even say about this episode...

That character, Koharu, talks jokingly if she isn't "committing a crime" with Kano and Kiwi. But talking seriously, isn't she clearly an adult flirting and trying to put her hands on a minor?
No problem with all that talk about boobs per si, really no problem, let the girls talk about their bodies, but I just got the feeling that Koharu was acting like "a pervert", trying to get the girls attention and trust. In the end she even manages to find where Kiwi lives.
Like some say, "a bit problematic".

I'm not someone "qualified" to discuss these matters, like I said I'm not sure what to say about this episode, but something caught my attention while watching. I reminded that someone more brilliant minds had theorized Kiwi could be a "trans coded character". Maybe they're right?
I remind someone pointing that Kiwi got specially upset when a man trying to hit on her after noticing her bust, and that her virtual character is androgynous and flat. Now it seems confirmed that she hides her bust and by seemingly accepting Koharu's advances it seems to confirm that at least she may be gay.

Anyway, the series really improved a lot after it stopped with the flashbacks and things happen from the interacting inside the episodes.
Despite they having forgotten Kano's writers block...

edit
I need to take this series more seriously, after the bad impression the first episodes gave me, because it's becoming a bit "too deep for me". Unfortunately breasts are distracting, as they usually are, but this episode and dialogue as full of subtext and symbolism about "impostor syndrome" and authenticity, right?
May 19, 6:59 AM

Apr 2010
Reply to PaninaManina
I can't believe they gave a license to Kano! Surprised that she didn't killed herself and Mahiro in the end.

That character, Koharu, talks jokingly if she isn't "committing a crime" with Kano and Kiwi. But talking seriously, isn't she clearly an adult flirting and trying to put her hands on a minor?
No problem with all that talk about boobs per si, really no problem, let the girls talk about their bodies, but I just got the feeling that Koharu was acting like "a pervert", trying to get the girls attention and trust. In the end she even manages to find where Kiwi lives.

I'm not someone "qualified" to discuss these matters, like I said I'm not sure what to say about this episode, but something caught my attention while watching. I reminded that someone more brilliant minds had theorized Kiwi could be a "trans coded character". Maybe they're right?
I remind someone pointing that Kiwi got specially upset when a man trying to hit on her after noticing her bust, and that her virtual character is androgynous and flat. Now it seems confirmed that she hides her bust and by seemingly accepting Koharu's advances it seems to confirm that at least she may be gay.

Anyway, the series really improved a lot after it stopped with the flashbacks and things happen from the interacting inside the episodes.

edit
I need to take this series more seriously, after the bad impression the first episodes gave me, because it's becoming a bit "too deep for me". Unfortunately breasts are distracting, as they usually are, but this episode and dialogue as full of subtext and symbolism about "impostor syndrome" and authenticity, right?
@PaninaManina Been quite a while since their last song, in universe time has been moving quite a lot, she doesn't seem over any block.. even this ep she questions her purpose in life, it's the only 'blocked' mentality character of the entire main cast at the moment.
May 19, 7:34 AM

May 2015
Disappointing episode, the fanservice was completely unnecessary, especially with some random character out of nowhere. I'd rather they showed more internal thoughts for Kiwi and her aspirations. Well, at least it got better towards the end.
May 19, 7:50 AM

Feb 2020
Girl why are you trying to get so close to a minor you not drake girl 😭
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 19, 10:28 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to PaninaManina

edit
@PaninaManina For me, that part of Koharu has felt very cloudy and unpleasant. Clearly she is an adult flirting especially with Kiui. The curious thing is that Koharu appears in the opening, so He is a character for the plot. Watching kiui give koharu his phone number and be like "asking her out" has given me chills. If this turns into some romantic element I'll drop the series immediately. That being said, I cannot approve this chapter.
May 19, 10:41 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to Hormigo
@PaninaManina For me, that part of Koharu has felt very cloudy and unpleasant. Clearly she is an adult flirting especially with Kiui. The curious thing is that Koharu appears in the opening, so He is a character for the plot. Watching kiui give koharu his phone number and be like "asking her out" has given me chills. If this turns into some romantic element I'll drop the series immediately. That being said, I cannot approve this chapter.
@Hormigo Oh, it's true, Koharu appears in the OP (and other characters too). O hope she appears more and if this anime really does have yuri romance that her relationship with Kiwi develops and even becomes official.

Why would you drop it if it happens?
Koharu appears to be an adult, but how old is she actually? With anime characters is hard to tell. She may be younger than you think and Kiwi and the other girls are older than people usually remember. All four are a few months away from being 18 years, so even if Koharu is an adult the age gap is probably small and normal, and if a romance between the two happen would be consensual. Koharu made very clear what she wants so she isn't tricking Kiwi into anything.
May 19, 10:55 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to PaninaManina
@Hormigo Oh, it's true, Koharu appears in the OP (and other characters too). O hope she appears more and if this anime really does have yuri romance that her relationship with Kiwi develops and even becomes official.

Why would you drop it if it happens?
Koharu appears to be an adult, but how old is she actually? With anime characters is hard to tell. She may be younger than you think and Kiwi and the other girls are older than people usually remember. All four are a few months away from being 18 years, so even if Koharu is an adult the age gap is probably small and normal, and if a romance between the two happen would be consensual. Koharu made very clear what she wants so she isn't tricking Kiwi into anything.
@PaninaManina Regarding Koharu's age, you may be right that it is not that old, but I estimate him to be about 25 years old. kiui between 17/18, a minor. the way koharu approaches kiui and kana, and talks to them about the Operation on her tits, and then going into the bathroom with them to show them seems a little shady to me, in fact even Koharu says "this could be a crime." I have only seen her in this one Episode, if the character comes out again and I see good, believable character development, I won't have a problem, but my first impression has been negative. We will see in the next episodes if I change Of opinion
May 19, 11:24 AM

Apr 2010
I wouldn't jump with conclusion with Koharu, there must a reason they are hiding her surname.

For all we know she might even be a producer, trying to recruit Kiui.
May 19, 11:29 AM

May 2019
Reply to AriBWeeb
Alfredo-Sauce said:
With all the girls except for Kano planning out their futures Kano appears to feel left out but I think she will have a bright future if she focuses on something like singing.

Side note, not sure what role Koharu will play in this series but it looks like she may have been burned hence the scar on her back and the plastic surgeries she's had done.

hmm I thought it was maybe a tattoo she got removed but that also makes sense
@AriBWeeb
That's a good point that it could've been a tattoo removal as I was just speculating. Who knows if it will be addressed in the future, maybe if she plays a bigger role.
May 19, 11:50 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to TiagoCosta
I wouldn't jump with conclusion with Koharu, there must a reason they are hiding her surname.

For all we know she might even be a producer, trying to recruit Kiui.
@TiagoCosta Now producers use their tits as a recruitment tool? kidding aside, the first time he approaches kiui he doesn't know who he is or what he does kiui She tells him on the train who she is, the funny thing is that Koharu knows where Kiui lives, without her having told him before. something very strange
HormigoMay 19, 11:53 AM
May 19, 11:56 AM

Apr 2010
Reply to Hormigo
@TiagoCosta Now producers use their tits as a recruitment tool? kidding aside, the first time he approaches kiui he doesn't know who he is or what he does kiui She tells him on the train who she is, the funny thing is that Koharu knows where Kiui lives, without her having told him before. something very strange
@Hormigo off screen conversation, it's a normal topic to talk about on small talk stuff.

She literally said ''you said you live in ogikubo?''. She told her.
May 19, 12:15 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to TiagoCosta
@Hormigo off screen conversation, it's a normal topic to talk about on small talk stuff.

She literally said ''you said you live in ogikubo?''. She told her.
@TiagoCosta It's true, I didn't read the subtitles well, but what is clear is that Kiui reveals his identity to Koharu on the train, therefore the first time he approached Kiui he didn't know who he was, and He doesn't know her.Kiui has decided to be a teacher, it wouldn't make sense for the story for a producer to approach her, although who knows. Koharu has left me very intrigued, I don't know what role he will continue in the story , a simple friend? any love interest? Who knows, what is known is that it appears in the opening, therefore it will appear more
May 19, 12:21 PM

Apr 2010
Reply to Hormigo
@TiagoCosta It's true, I didn't read the subtitles well, but what is clear is that Kiui reveals his identity to Koharu on the train, therefore the first time he approached Kiui he didn't know who he was, and He doesn't know her.Kiui has decided to be a teacher, it wouldn't make sense for the story for a producer to approach her, although who knows. Koharu has left me very intrigued, I don't know what role he will continue in the story , a simple friend? any love interest? Who knows, what is known is that it appears in the opening, therefore it will appear more
@Hormigo She talked with her, found her cute and funny (with big assets), got interested.

You don't need to know who the person is to find her interesting, In Japan it seems fairy normal to go talent hunt on the streets.

Obviously he can be anything at this point.
May 19, 12:42 PM
Dec 2022
That got really wholesome there at the end.
May 19, 12:49 PM

Jun 2019
Admittedly I don't watch a ton of music-themed anime, but one thing I really appreciate about this series and what I find enlivens the characters and the atmosphere around them is how they are all such fans of each other's art. And honest and upfront about that too. It's admirable and lovely to see and there's an earnest quality there to it - that they had to find someone else who was a fan of their work enough to make it known before themselves getting enough of that push and boost of confidence from that minor personal recognition from another individual to then feel emboldened to "go out into the world" by releasing their collaborative art/media project's works publicly onto the internet. That wasn't even something much on display or relevant to this particular episode (except the brief exchange between Yoru and Kano on the beach where the former asked the latter to sing for her in the future just as the latter helped encourage her to draw for her sake), but it's been on my mind whilst going through this series. It applies to Yoru/Mahiru especially. Kano is already a former idol and celebrity previously in the limelight. But she did have to reinvent herself for the current tasks and new group, and I feel as if she wouldn't have done it (at least not at this time) without her favorite artist expressing fondness for her singing.

As far as this episode specifically goes, it was nice to have a bit more of a breather and downtime in the form of a more Slice of Life-style episode where the girls were off (usually in various different pairs - Kano and Kiui, Yoru and Mei, and Kano and Yoru) doing their own and different things not directly related to the JELEE group/project and which, while thematically related, were not literally so. There were still some more tense scenes and moments (like Kiui's return to her school to receive the paperwork to pursue her high school certification and passing the gossipy girls), but it's a pleasant change of pace to not have every scene be one with some dramatic intensity all building to a singular point of convergence and crescendo, like, compared to, say, last week's episode which is an example of this - not that it's at all the case that I didn't like last week's episode. Comparing it episode to episode on an individual basis to this one I'd actually say that I preferred it and it's also probably at least the slightly better episode, but I wouldn't want every episode to be like that. I require a break to provide some room to break it up and balance it out. At least in a non-hardcore drama series like this.

Also, on a more trivial note, I've never seen or heard of driver's education schools or courses with actual live-in dormitories for students. I practiced driving to get a driver's license with my father, the physical education teacher in high school, and then just took the test at the DMV and got the license within the same day of passing the test. I guess it makes sense that one of the characters described it as a "camp", so like a cram school-style crash course or summer camp, but it was just shocking to see a driver's ed setup made to look like a college. I don't know if that's a thing which exists anywhere in Japan or just in anime or just in this anime alone and specifically, as I've never even seen it in other anime before.
WatchTillTandavaMay 19, 12:53 PM
May 19, 1:03 PM

Feb 2010
whaaaaaat did I just watch?
May 19, 1:29 PM
Jan 2024
Koharu: "They're both high school girls. I really hope this isn't a crime."

Me: It ain't a crime if you don't get caught.

This anime is becoming more yuri each passing week.
May 19, 1:39 PM
May 2021
It's amazing how this show choses to deal with and address both apparent and underlying issues rather than ignoring them for convenience's sake.

Really refreshing to see this done to such an extent.
May 19, 4:14 PM
Mar 2021
Yuri fans are eating so good
May 19, 6:26 PM
Sep 2020
damn that Kohaku woman was creeeeeepy and predatory, and I'm worried for Kiui now, but glad she set the boundary of online-only

It seems like Kano & Mahiro have a really high likelihood of becoming a couple, but also I'm scared it's gonna just be bait in the end. Either way - friends or couple, I really enjoy their vibe together and how lovey-dovey, caring, and supportive they are with each other

the motorcycle thing was otherwise pretty cool
May 19, 9:33 PM

Apr 2024
Reply to akatsukinoluna
damn that Kohaku woman was creeeeeepy and predatory, and I'm worried for Kiui now, but glad she set the boundary of online-only

It seems like Kano & Mahiro have a really high likelihood of becoming a couple, but also I'm scared it's gonna just be bait in the end. Either way - friends or couple, I really enjoy their vibe together and how lovey-dovey, caring, and supportive they are with each other

the motorcycle thing was otherwise pretty cool
@akatsukinoluna
mehh, you are even more creepy than her.

and some ppl here are trying to lecture this episode with their moral code.
pfff!
May 20, 2:43 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to DX_impulse
@akatsukinoluna
mehh, you are even more creepy than her.

and some ppl here are trying to lecture this episode with their moral code.
pfff!
@DX_impulse There is no ethical or moral sermon, it is simply common sense. And my common sense makes me see that an adult acting that way with two minors is a bit shady to say the least. greetings
HormigoMay 20, 2:48 AM
May 20, 4:01 AM

Apr 2024
Reply to Hormigo
@DX_impulse There is no ethical or moral sermon, it is simply common sense. And my common sense makes me see that an adult acting that way with two minors is a bit shady to say the least. greetings
@Hormigo
oh, really?
I dont see it as common sense
cuz, to me, it's more like "normie overreacting"
y' know, some of them arent even rely on their parent, they can do a lot of things and they are 16+.
so they're very mature compared to their age to recognize the consequences and take full responsibility for their own doing.
and yet, you're still taking them as minors? Meh!
as for Koharu, I never root for some prude, serious gal, she doesnt want a normal life and wants to do something that is not boring, im totally fine with it and that fanservice scene.
May 20, 2:12 PM

Jun 2019
DX_impulse said:
oh, really?
y' know, some of them arent even rely on their parent, they can do a lot of things and they are 16+.
so they're very mature compared to their age to recognize the consequences and take full responsibility for their own doing.
as for Koharu, I never root for some prude, serious gal, she doesnt want a normal life and wants to do something that is not boring, im totally fine with it and that fanservice scene.

Agreed to the max.

I suppose, unfortunately, that I shouldn't be, given the way some folks (seemingly increasingly) are nowadays, but I was honestly shocked when coming into this episode discussion thread topic and seeing so many comments making an issue out of those scenes involving the Koharu character. It's truthfully something which didn't even remotely cross my mind in the slightest degree while watching it that this was somehow something people would find (or rather, invent) a problem with.

These are mid-teenagers talking and hanging out with someone going to the same school/training course and talking about continuing to hang out in the future due to shared interests and personalities which get on, not 4 year-olds being lured into a homeless stalker's rusty derelict white van with candy. First of all, something like romance and what age should be set for something like that and why or all the nuances and complications of that is something which could be discussed and debated. But this didn't even come across as romantic or sexual to me anyway. It's bad enough and inane and silly when people do that even with opposite sex individuals. Here both are even females and most of the population is ultimately heterosexual. There is nothing which says Kiui is even gay (or bisexual) or that the Koharu character is or that they're even pursuing some intimate relationship along those lines. It's literally people striking up conversation and bonding with those they have something in common with and some people here want to turn that into something ugly, scary, bad, or wrong because they're of different ages?

So it would have been better for Koharu to treat her with cold indifference, someone whose life she could have a positive impact upon and vice versa, and people should always self-segregate into little bubbles based solely on when they were born? Oh no, can't talk to or go out for coffee or play video games together because one is 15 or 16 or whatever and the other one is, I assume, somewhere in her 20s. Sounds like a recipe for an environment of unjustified terror and paranoia, which is what this is.

Talk about a bunch of moral panic neo-Puritans. Is this something coming mainly from the second half of Gen Z? Because it seems something so extreme, random, and illogical that it has to be some uniquely post-2010 North American BS.
WatchTillTandavaMay 20, 2:19 PM
May 20, 3:28 PM
Jan 2023
A good episode once again, nothing really related to music, but this time career plans and how hard they can be to decide on (Sooo relatable, I'm trying to decide what I want to do in life atm too) and motorbike license, which is awesome indeed. Kano and Mahiru already got themselves in trouble with the police though!

Really quite a bit of fan service in this one, felt like it went a bit far, but oh well. That new woman was a little on the creepy side imo.

I'm hoping for some more music stuff in the next episode, that would be awesome indeed.
May 20, 5:26 PM

Jan 2024
Every episode brings a smile to my face...

It's okay if you forget me.

May 20, 10:47 PM

Sep 2015
Reply to ajw215799
Is it my imagination or is this show practically identical (plot wise) to Girls Band Cry
@ajw215799 Overlapping themes but totally different plot direction. So far this anime uses music as a plot device while focusing on individual characters, making it more like a SoL anime. Meanwhile, GBC focuses on music with new performances coming out in almost every episode. Both animes feature personal struggles and music and that's about it.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
May 21, 1:25 AM

Jun 2019
ajw215799 said:
Is it my imagination or is this show practically identical (plot wise) to Girls Band Cry

They are similar enough that I would expect to see them (and indeed they currently are) show up on each other's recommendation section on their MAL pages and would myself consider them a very logical and reasonable recommendation for one another. The plot outline or structure is quite similar on at least a superficial level, both being about a mid-late teens high school girl (Mahiru/Yoru and Nina) with some social anxiety and self-image/self-consciousness issues who is an amateur at her art, lacking a clear goal or direction in life from what she wants out of school or friends, and unsure about what to do with things like socially fitting in with other girls around her age or what to do for the future with her passion or for a job/career, then going on to by a random happenstance chance encounter in the city meeting a former minor celebrity (Kano and Momoka) who quit her previous group due to some falling out, is kind of washed up or depressed, and who also manages to see her own art in a different light through the eyes of this amateur and rekindle her passion and find a new purpose. And then they form a new group together. And later add a few more new girls to the mix who have their own problems and obstacles.

Couple that with the coincidental fact of proximity to accentuate it, that's it's even airing within the same season, and yes, they seem extremely similar on paper and if just describing them like that.

But every anime is unique from all others to varying degrees and these two are no exception. The premise is extraordinarily similar, but they still feel like different enough shows - even quite different at times - in execution to me. Jellyfish seems a lot more polished and traditionally told (like in some of the writing and direction), as I see it, and Girls Band Cry a lot more messy, chaotic, and experimental (like with the trying to push CGI animation to new heights in expressiveness and strong visual effects to represent emotion, the novice voice actors, the even more rowdy and argumentative nature of Nina as a character being less of a safe conventional self-insert than Yoru, etc.). Also, the group formed that drives part of the plot is different. One (JELEE) is a mixed media collaborative art project with illustrations and streaming, made more for the internet and the age of social media. The other, Togenashi Togeari, is more just a regular old school band more focused on performing live gigs.
WatchTillTandavaMay 21, 1:41 AM
May 21, 3:50 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to WatchTillTandava
DX_impulse said:
oh, really?

Agreed to the max.

I suppose, unfortunately, that I shouldn't be, given the way some folks (seemingly increasingly) are nowadays, but I was honestly shocked when coming into this episode discussion thread topic and seeing so many comments making an issue out of those scenes involving the Koharu character. It's truthfully something which didn't even remotely cross my mind in the slightest degree while watching it that this was somehow something people would find (or rather, invent) a problem with.

These are mid-teenagers talking and hanging out with someone going to the same school/training course and talking about continuing to hang out in the future due to shared interests and personalities which get on, not 4 year-olds being lured into a homeless stalker's rusty derelict white van with candy. First of all, something like romance and what age should be set for something like that and why or all the nuances and complications of that is something which could be discussed and debated. But this didn't even come across as romantic or sexual to me anyway. It's bad enough and inane and silly when people do that even with opposite sex individuals. Here both are even females and most of the population is ultimately heterosexual. There is nothing which says Kiui is even gay (or bisexual) or that the Koharu character is or that they're even pursuing some intimate relationship along those lines. It's literally people striking up conversation and bonding with those they have something in common with and some people here want to turn that into something ugly, scary, bad, or wrong because they're of different ages?

So it would have been better for Koharu to treat her with cold indifference, someone whose life she could have a positive impact upon and vice versa, and people should always self-segregate into little bubbles based solely on when they were born? Oh no, can't talk to or go out for coffee or play video games together because one is 15 or 16 or whatever and the other one is, I assume, somewhere in her 20s. Sounds like a recipe for an environment of unjustified terror and paranoia, which is what this is.

Talk about a bunch of moral panic neo-Puritans. Is this something coming mainly from the second half of Gen Z? Because it seems something so extreme, random, and illogical that it has to be some uniquely post-2010 North American BS.
@WatchTillTandava It is not moral ground, anyone who has seen a lot of anime has seen scenes like this, the question would be, did this anime need such an explicit fanservice scene? in my opinion and that of Others don't, it seemed a little shady to me because I didn't expect it in an anime like that. That being said, it is fine to debate in these types of forums, that is what they are for. For example, you say "there is nothing that says That Kiui is gay and In this same forum I read a comment where have commented that Kiui is gay. What are we left with? , Others that this anime is Yuri and others that it is simply a Yuri bait, simply Disparities of opinions. Greetings
HormigoMay 21, 3:55 AM
May 21, 4:05 AM

Jun 2019
Hormigo said:
It is not moral ground, anyone who has seen a lot of anime has seen scenes like this, the question would be, did this anime need such an explicit fanservice scene? in my opinion and that of Others don't, it seemed a little shady to me because I didn't expect it in an anime like that. That being said, it is fine to debate in these types of forums, that is what they are for. For example, you say "there is nothing that says That Kiui is gay and In this same forum I read a comment where he claimed that Kiui is gay. What are we left with? , Others that this anime is Yuri and others that it is simply a Yuri bait, simply Disparities of opinions. Greetings

Oh, I wasn't specifically referring to the scene which could be interpreted as a fanservice one (with the boob display, touching, and comparisons). I moreso meant just all the scenes involving Koharu and her relationship with Kiui in general, talking and eating together, and exchanging contacts toward the end of their part of the episode to make possible future plans. Honestly I truthfully don't have a strong opinion either way on the fanservicey stuff. I could see both sides. The anime could do without it, but it doesn't bother me at all. I neither love nor dislike its inclusion. I'd say I'm quite neutral on it.

About Kiui, my logic and way of thinking in terms of my approach to these things is that since the majority of the human population is heterosexual, and there are usually no outward visible signs of someone's sexual orientation (most people aren't wearing T-shirts or sporting tattoos proclaiming it), I just automatically assume by default everyone is heterosexual until there is a reason not to, as in they state otherwise or perform some explicit gay act like romantically/sexually kissing someone of the same sex. But yeah, everyone will have different standards and opinions when it comes to analyzing these issues.

Full agreement though that this is ultimately a forum, and an expression of all our opinions, conversations, and debates are part of its purpose, so I see that as a good thing and healthy and useful, and series which encourage those kinds of opinionated responses and interesting discussions and exchanges also a good thing. It reflects well on a series when it gets people thinking and talking. It means it has at least enough substance in its content to inspire that.
WatchTillTandavaMay 21, 4:11 AM
May 21, 6:39 AM

Apr 2010
Reply to Hormigo
@WatchTillTandava It is not moral ground, anyone who has seen a lot of anime has seen scenes like this, the question would be, did this anime need such an explicit fanservice scene? in my opinion and that of Others don't, it seemed a little shady to me because I didn't expect it in an anime like that. That being said, it is fine to debate in these types of forums, that is what they are for. For example, you say "there is nothing that says That Kiui is gay and In this same forum I read a comment where have commented that Kiui is gay. What are we left with? , Others that this anime is Yuri and others that it is simply a Yuri bait, simply Disparities of opinions. Greetings
@Hormigo Needed or not, the one tweet I've seen about it got over 2 Million interactions(from someone with 'only' around 18k followers).. clearly it helped with visibility.

At the end of the day, what I think is needed or not comes down to what make return on investment or not, on this case I'd argue it clearly helped achieving that goal.

(anime isn't charity, there's a reason we barely get any anime original nowadays, it's a very risky endeavor next to adapting some popular LN/manga)
TiagoCostaMay 21, 6:43 AM
May 21, 7:25 AM

Jun 2019
TiagoCosta said:
(anime isn't charity, there's a reason we barely get any anime original nowadays, it's a very risky endeavor next to adapting some popular LN/manga)

Although, between this, Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku?, Astro Note, and Girls Band Cry, surprisingly a fair amount and good ones this season.
May 21, 7:55 AM

Apr 2010
Reply to WatchTillTandava
TiagoCosta said:

Although, between this, Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku?, Astro Note, and Girls Band Cry, surprisingly a fair amount and good ones this season.
@WatchTillTandava I wouldn't put GBC on the same bag, it's a multi media project.

I've been listening to them for like a year.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 11

131 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 27, 11:07 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 13

135 by BabyBlouie »»
Sep 9, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 22

192 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 8, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15

112 by Ashhk »»
Aug 24, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8

134 by Ashhk »»
Aug 23, 11:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.