Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 11, 2018 6:44 AM
Jul 2012
Terrible movie, nothing made sense, 0/10 storytelling, just a bunch of "anime cliché from people that don't know what anime is"

the art direction might be decent, if you take a screenshot, but the animation technique is awful, the low framerate 3d kills any kind of enjoyement one might get from it.

3/10, boring, ugly to look at in movement, wasted characters left and right (they managed to make a terriible batman movie and a terrible anime) and just straight up dumb without the gurrenn lagan entertainment value and genre subversion storytelling.
Nov 11, 2018 11:13 AM

Feb 2015
This was so damn weird but funny at the same time and action scenes were great too.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Dec 25, 2018 2:34 PM

Nov 2018
The worst Batman Animated Movie ever made. I give it a 5 Of 10 rating ๐Ÿคฎ๏ปฟ, very childish and campy. Bruce was just too dumb throughout the movie.

Mar 29, 2019 4:38 PM

Feb 2015
[Missing tags: Comedy... MECHA!]

This was a pleasant surprise.

The mecha fights (classic Batman!) were awesome I really enjoyed it but the real mvp was Joker... boy, his fight vs Batman knight was really good!

I don't normally see Joker fighting at close to Batman's level so that was something (I guess the 2 year gap really gave him an edge).

Batman making hand seals was hilarious.

I really liked the animation and the animation in the Red hood scene, it wasn't too bad.

Honestly, the movie is enjoyable to watch as long as you don't expect anything serious.
May 25, 2019 9:44 AM

Oct 2017
Absolutely made no sense at all. The CGI was decent character design and art were good but story is absolutely horrible. I had high expectations. This movie is like Bruce is very very aho and baka. :/

I want you to be happy.
I want you to laugh a lot.
I don’t know what exactly
I’ll be able to do for you,
but I’ll always be by your side.
Jun 7, 2019 10:08 PM

Aug 2015
Felt like this whole thing was based on some cool visual concepts and sketches, with a paper thin plot. The background art was absolutely amazing. Character designs were fantastic, if you don't think about how the characters would have logically adopted their looks, at which point it becomes hilarious.

Character development doesn't really matter in such an established universe, especially in the film equivalent of a filler episode. Didn't mind that nothing was explained about the cast, but they were shown in the very bare bones of what makes them... them.

Everything catered to allowing this crazy Schizo Tech superhero feudal Japan to exist, which worked to an extent. Really pushed it at a lot of points though. It felt like a fever dream parody. I was laughing my ass off several times and I have no idea if it was intentionally hilarious.
whitherJun 7, 2019 10:11 PM
Nov 21, 2019 7:26 AM
Oct 2018
So, A ninja in Samurai clothing. Okay.
May 31, 2021 8:37 AM

Oct 2016
This anime movie is so good. I had so much fun watching it.

The story is decent. Gorilla Grodd (I honestly didn't know him before, maybe I'm not a fan of Batman enough to know him?) lured Arkham criminals into his time machine experiment, but the bat family, and secretly Catwoman, interfered with his plan. And so all the people in the vicinity of Arkham Asylum traveled through time to ancient Japan. Unfortunately, Batman arrived two years later than the others, so while the others were already settled with kingdoms and armies, he had nothing with him. He met Catwoman, got filled in, and later met Alfred with the batmobile! He was overconfident, though, and rushed to Joker's castle, only to be defeated and lost the batmobile in the process. Fortunately the bat family rescued him, with the help of a ninja clan based on bats. And so the journey began.

Combination of bats and ninjas is one interesting idea. Ninjas, together with samurais, are associated with ancient Japan, while bats are creatures identical with night, darkness, shadow, and stealth. It's also not a strange fiction, since japanese supernatural beliefs usually based on deities, sometimes in the form of animals.

The voice acting is perfect, and each of the casts somehow fits with each characters. At first I compared between the japanese and english voice acting, then I decided to watch the japanese voice acting. I'm not saying that I don't like the english one. It's just that I'm used to watching anime, so the japanese one feels natural to me. Also the characters' lip movements are in sync with the japanese voices. One thing that I noticed from the english voice acting is that there are Catwoman's narrations in some scenes, while there is no such thing in the japanese one, so I may watch the movie again with english voice acting sometime.

The artwork is superb. Does anyone notice that the landscape of the Bat Village shaped like bat symbol?

And I really love Robin's little monkey Monkichi and the other female little monkey Monmi, they're just so cute.

The animation is a little clunky for my taste. It's not anime-like, not comic-like, and I don't watch CG animation much. It's not bad, but I'd rather see 2D animation.

Many things don't make sense in this movie. How could they build giant robot castles in the era? Not to mention all the resources and technologies needed. The robot transformation is cool, though. It has a Gurren Lagann vibe, but some of the robot designs are ridiculous. Deathstroke's castle robot reminds me of Devil Gundam from Mobile Fighter G Gundam, and Two-Face's is... isn't it a buddha statue?

Also the monkey army vs the giant robot, what the heck? Gattai giant robot is one thing, but giant monkey made of monkeys?? I know Robin said how they are so united and powerful, but still... I was a little saddened when Joker tried to burn the monkeys, some of them fell. Poor monkeys.. :'(

What's even crazier is when the bats came and, together with the monkeys, summoned an otherworldly giant "animated series Batman", and the bat ninja clan called it their god. I was like.. OwO oh... okay...

Batman vs Joker in the end is so awesome. It's a classic "You can't kill me but I can kill you", but with added katanas. Batman's "hissatsu" on Joker is the best. Batman didn't ally with the Hida ninja clan for nothing, an he actually used ninjutsu to defeat Joker.

The rest of the criminals don't have that much screen time. They were just easily beaten by the bat family.

Apparently the time in Gotham is not affected by the time travel. They returned at the exact time they departed, and Bruce still had the time to visit the mayor at the same night.

I think I can see why Catwoman wanted to go home so bad. She had already planned from the beginning to steal a treasure of ancient Japan, namely the antique vase in Arkham castle. She is so simple, but that what makes me like her.

So many things don't make sense, but who cares. My brain is already tired from my work and I watch this for entertainment, so why stress out about logic? I'd be an idiot if I don't sit back and enjoy it. I may want to watch it again next time when I want some casual enjoyment.

My score:

Story: 8/10
Artwork: 9/10
Characters: 8/10
Music: 8/10
Voice acting: 9/10
Animation: 6/10
LOGIC: 6/10
ENJOYMENT: 10/10

Total: 8/10
Jun 29, 2021 6:45 PM
Dec 2017
eh its just a generic samurai flick with a dc flair to it.

Aug 5, 2021 2:29 PM
Jul 2019
brother thulai what an extremely dubious movie ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Still and seriously three fights were needed to defeat the Joker? We still needed BatWoman and BatGirl and we had the whole family. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’Ÿ However, Brother Gorilla Grodd, this is really strange, how he managed to create that big sheep machine, ๐Ÿ˜— and he also failed with what he wanted to do initially. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Still brother an absolutely brilliant movie, all thanks. ๐Ÿ˜—๐Ÿ’Ÿ
Oct 16, 2021 6:51 AM
Dec 2017
the movie was aight but i'm worried af if wb and disney got their hands on anime.

Oct 17, 2021 12:02 PM

Jan 2021
Basically Gurren Lagann with Batman and MONKE
Apr 10, 2022 2:51 PM

Jun 2015
I have always wanted to watch this movie ever since it came out. I never imagined I would watch it for the annual anime challenge.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jul 26, 2022 7:17 AM

May 2018
This movie has the most retarded ideas anyone could imagine. Sumo Bane, wtf. Batman performing Naruto seal techniques, wtf.
Battle robots made of medieval Japanese buildings fight against Giant Robo-Batman made of living monkeys and bats. W. T. F.
And overall, every damn moment screams about how it is stupid, senseless and tasteless.
If this movie were a parody it would be a 10/10. Otherwise, it's solid 1/10.
Nemo_NiemandSep 15, 2022 1:48 PM
Nov 16, 2022 12:58 PM

Nov 2012
Totally ridiculous lmao, but had its redeeming qualities, some of the art/designs was pretty cool.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Mar 11, 2023 6:21 PM
Oct 2022
I love this movie, but it is the textbook definition of Style over Substance. Things quickly stopped making sense when the mecha fight happened but it was a delight and the visual design was absolutely amazing.
Mar 28, 2023 3:18 PM
Jun 2020
that was the most entertaining s/hit i've ever seen. oh my god
Dec 9, 2023 9:33 PM
Oct 2023
If you are looking for a crazy Batman story, this is it. The art style though a little clunky, was good. The characters were handled very well. I would have liked to see more of the other villains, but what we got was good.
The story isn't that deep or anything, and there are hardly any themes, but the movie is entertaining and at times tense.
Overall a good experience.
May 1, 11:28 PM

Nov 2009
Was bored, decide to watch this...

There are a couple of plot holes...

Why did it take 2 years for Batman to arrive, while literally EVERYONE ELSE arrived 2 years before?

Where did they get the supply OR even the man-power/ machine to create those robot castles?

Why did the giant "wood/ straw armor" monkey suddenly become stronger than metal after it gets covered in soft-fleshy bats? (you would think the bats get squashed between the wood and metal...)

Batman, Alfred and his gang had no way to make modern weapons and ammos... but somehow... the villains can make them.

Where the F did this "Bat Ninjas since Ancient Time" with Lore came from? Batman and ppls didn't arrive til 2 years ago... how are they "ancient" with just 2 years? LOL

Also, Batman can use "Vampire" moves now with little bats.

"Japan returns to normal"... what normal? bunch of historic castles are now destroyed, towns destroyed... where are the original region leaders? did they all get killed 2 years ago?

LOL @ Japan-batmobile running over some poor dude's car tho, LOL.

Also... Bruce wasn't dressed as Batman inside the horse cart... and the window is open... with the entire cart designed with bunch of batman symbols and pictures... totally not SUS...
amlgMay 1, 11:31 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» A Question about Batman .

_syedmuhammad__ - Aug 29, 2021

4 by Guts-Valley »»
Oct 24, 2021 5:43 AM

» Critics are loving this Anime

Jhon_Bacon - Apr 15, 2018

20 by Ronninn »»
Oct 12, 2021 9:07 AM

» joker looks like yagi

KuroudoAkabane - Aug 10, 2018

0 by KuroudoAkabane »»
Aug 10, 2018 8:14 AM

» Blu-Ray and DVD Info

Shinmurai-kuN - May 4, 2018

2 by tsubasalover »»
May 11, 2018 1:43 AM

» Why is it OVA?

SuperKHS1 - May 3, 2018

3 by removed-user »»
May 3, 2018 8:37 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.