Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 2, 2018 1:26 PM

Jun 2014
I thought it was pretty okay. It had really nice direction and was a solid start to Winter 2018!
Jan 2, 2018 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
HMMM!! this 1st episode kinda give me feel of one of my recent finish madhouse anime that I completed plus hxh but imo the pacing was bit fast. Maybe this will take different intake of survival or adventure theme I guess.
I think art is already kinda weak point of this show so far but I am expecting this can be more than 1 cour which should depend how dark atmosphere our mc's adventure goes in their way. MC's too kawaiii and Shirase's character felt like mysterious [I mean dropping 1 MILLION money!! :O]
Anyway, this be should be fun watch anime indeed and finally can learn something about Antartica
removed-userJan 2, 2018 1:44 PM
Jan 2, 2018 1:36 PM

Sep 2011
RobertBobert said:
Mich666 said:

You got it other way around. This title is meant for adults to reflect on their their younger years, wishing they would go on such adventures too. It makes them live such adventures with this anime. And the lighthearted tone of the show was pretty much obvious.

Well, I even now dream of taking a guitar and "finding" a motorcycle to travel around the country like in Easy Rider, but I'm a little scared to see how several 16-17-year-old girls run to Antarctica without even notifying this of their parents. But, this is probably a moment for jokes, rather than serious claims.

Not once did these characters ever suggest that they were going to run away to Antartica so I’m not sure where you are getting that from! Also traveling to antartica is not as an impossible dream as you think. My uncle wintered over in antartica twice and I have a work colegue who as part of his undergrad course in uni went to antartica. Finally there are paid tours in special cruse ships that go. Yes it wpuld be difficult for a school aged person, but university level its just about going to the right uni.
Jan 2, 2018 1:45 PM

Oct 2010
Really solid intro. Sadly, episode 1s are generally pretty strong and then things go downhill, so my hopes are not up just yet. Really enjoyed this one though

I really liked all the vocal tracks used in here, as well. great voices and catchy tunes
Jan 2, 2018 1:50 PM

Apr 2012
scruffykiwi said:
RobertBobert said:

Well, I even now dream of taking a guitar and "finding" a motorcycle to travel around the country like in Easy Rider, but I'm a little scared to see how several 16-17-year-old girls run to Antarctica without even notifying this of their parents. But, this is probably a moment for jokes, rather than serious claims.

Not once did these characters ever suggest that they were going to run away to Antartica so I’m not sure where you are getting that from! Also traveling to antartica is not as an impossible dream as you think. My uncle wintered over in antartica twice and I have a work colegue who as part of his undergrad course in uni went to antartica. Finally there are paid tours in special cruse ships that go. Yes it wpuld be difficult for a school aged person, but university level its just about going to the right uni.

Again, we are talking about adult people who were physically and morally ready for it. Between this and the schoolgirls who decided to "suddenly change her life" there is a big difference. Especially leaving school and keeping the escape in secret from the parents. However, perhaps we will learn more details from the new episodes.

Jan 2, 2018 1:54 PM

Sep 2016
Pingu crossover episode when? Good first episode
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Jan 2, 2018 1:58 PM
Jul 2018
I already want episode 2 to be out
Jan 2, 2018 2:00 PM

Mar 2014
This surpassed my expectations. I was expecting your average slice of life with a different setting, but this could be interesting. Let's see how it develops.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
Jan 2, 2018 2:05 PM
Mar 2009
Robiiii said:
payp20 said:

If only madhouse came out with second seasons too

Yeah. Not sure why bother even "promoting" it this way if we cant even get a second season. We did get a movie so maybe its referencing that.

I live in Japan, and I can account for convenience stores often having posters for recent, airing, or upcoming movies, and it may be referencing the Blu-Ray release of the movie. Kimi no Na Wa is still the most prevalent advertised movie though!
Jan 2, 2018 2:12 PM

Sep 2011
RobertBobert said:
scruffykiwi said:

Again, we are talking about adult people who were physically and morally ready for it. Between this and the schoolgirls who decided to "suddenly change her life" there is a big difference. Especially leaving school and keeping the escape in secret from the parents. However, perhaps we will learn more details from the new episodes.

They didn’t “escape”. They went to see a boat. You really need to drop the whole “running away from home” thing.

Also I don’t see what the issue with having a dream about going to antartica is. In real like all you would do is just plan which university you go to.
Jan 2, 2018 2:19 PM

Jun 2014
RobertBobert said:
scruffykiwi said:

Don't underestimate kids/older teenagers.

I don't think this story is that unrealistic.
Jan 2, 2018 2:25 PM

May 2011
It's okay I guess though if things doesn't pick up then I might just put this on hold. I'm a big fan of Minase Inori. but I gotta say though this wasn't the best of acting I've heard.

Also can someone explain where the "Sora" came from in the title? Kinda confusing seeing Sora(空) when the kanji says Uchuu(宇宙). Heck even the english title says Universe when usually the english title is farthest from the original japanese title.
Jan 2, 2018 2:31 PM

Jul 2009
Wow, what a beautiful start! Wasn't expecting much of this. Thought it would just be some silly "cute girls doing cute things" thing but I can see it getting really good. Excited to see how the other girls end up joining their group. Great series to start the season with. :)
Jan 2, 2018 2:36 PM
Jul 2017
I love this little details
Jan 2, 2018 2:38 PM

Apr 2012
@Kagami To be honest, I did not notice any special preparations from the MC. She just ran after the "newly acquired" friend, who really had a purpose and an opportunity for preparation. And no, I don't underestimate teenagers. Many of my childhood friends have been involved in mountain tourism since the earliest years. I'm talking only about these characters.

@scruffykiwi And how is it called when a teenager runs away somewhere far away and at the same time hiding it from his parents?

In any case, it's slice of life with cute girls, so I see no reason for continuing the conversation. Especially considering that this is just the first episode.
Jan 2, 2018 3:09 PM

Sep 2011
RobertBobert said:
@Kagami To be honest, I did not notice any special preparations from the MC. She just ran after the "newly acquired" friend, who really had a purpose and an opportunity for preparation. And no, I don't underestimate teenagers. Many of my childhood friends have been involved in mountain tourism since the earliest years. I'm talking only about these characters.

@scruffykiwi And how is it called when a teenager runs away somewhere far away and at the same time hiding it from his parents?

In any case, it's slice of life with cute girls, so I see no reason for continuing the conversation. Especially considering that this is just the first episode.

They went on a day trip. Her friend invited her to see a ship. End of story. NOWHERE in this episode is runnng away mentioned. Its in your head. Japanese teeneagers do tend to have more autonomy than western children although perhaps not this much.
Jan 2, 2018 3:16 PM
Jul 2018
The art is beautiful, and the premise is something I haven't seen before. I'm wondering by what episode they'll make it to Antarctica.
Jan 2, 2018 3:18 PM

Apr 2012
scruffykiwi said:
RobertBobert said:

They went on a day trip. Her friend invited her to see a ship. End of story. NOWHERE in this episode is runnng away mentioned. Its in your head. Japanese teeneagers do tend to have more autonomy than western children although perhaps not this much.

Is it in my head? :) Lol, and I already thought that in the show they are going to go to the South Pole. Forgive my mistake: D That's why I propose to end this silly debate and watch the following episodes.
Jan 2, 2018 3:35 PM

Jan 2017
The levels to which i can relate to the story are FLYING HIGH. As a passionate trekker and cyclist i'm always onto new stuff. I remember my trip to the amazon forest with some friends and we somehow made it.

I am loving this. The idea is so great and overall, i enjoyed the entire episode, really got me fired up!

Ohh and the MC has the same seiyuu as GLT Chi <3.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Jan 2, 2018 3:35 PM

Jan 2012
I wasnt expecting this to be this enjoyable!
I honestly thought it'd be mediocre but the characters seem to be pretty quirky and unique which is a great thing in any SoL!!

Animation is really pretty to me. Its different and the characters have EARS!!! Its so nice to see characters with ears.

Im hyped for this anime. Good way to start Winter 2018 for sure!
Jan 2, 2018 3:44 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Quite the dream Mari had though and how close that was to the truth. I guess its normal for all high school students to want to do something memorable when they are in it. Despite the talk Mari still doesn't want to break school rules huh. Thats a lot of money that the girl dropped though. The girl must been immensely glad that her money was returned to her. That goal though really is a tall one for a high school girl though. That was quick thinking on Mari's part in dealing with the bullies. Shirase is pretty determined to achieve her goal then it seems. Its nice that this time Mari found the determination that she needed to go on that journey though. Their antics on the train though was hillarious. A excellent first episode that did well to introduce Mari and Shirase and explain their motivations and reason for wanting to go to Antarctica.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2018 3:48 PM

Jun 2012
I was honestly surprised by this. Expected just cute girls doing cute things but really got into these characters. Although I don't know what their parents are going to do when they find out they've literally run away...
Jan 2, 2018 3:50 PM

Nov 2012
Not bad,the sense of adventure is definitely there and the thing about wanting to set off journey from her everyday life is somewhat relatable.
Jan 2, 2018 3:50 PM

Nov 2014
Enjoyed the first episode immensely. Not to mention the characters are hella cute and I'm even more excited to see how this anime plays out and the pace it goes at. The animation was wells done and I was pretty much intrigued during the entire episode.
Jan 2, 2018 4:05 PM

Jul 2015
Interesting first episode.

A Trip to Antarctica is not impossible even for a high schooler on vacation. You can get a plane to the city of Ushuaia (South of Argentina) and get into a boat to the coast of Antarctica. Very cheap and easy. If you want the full experience heading to the South Pole, that's another problem. Getting to the coast and see some penguins is enough for me.

AdrianRubinskyJan 2, 2018 4:09 PM
Jan 2, 2018 4:09 PM

Dec 2014
Yooooo wtf this was perfect. I'm down for this 110%
Jan 2, 2018 4:17 PM

Feb 2016
shanimebib said:
Oh, I forgot. I was quoting you! Colour me surprised that you actually decided to discuss an episode with another user rather than just creating threads with comments like "Oh, the chicken was crossing the road". Interesting!

This! :D

ImmortalZero said:
Also can someone explain where the "Sora" came from in the title? Kinda confusing seeing Sora(空) when the kanji says Uchuu(宇宙). Heck even the english title says Universe when usually the english title is farthest from the original japanese title.

I think like you, that someone messed up the translation. It has to be Universe 宇宙 [uchuu]. They even say uchuu at the end (22:55). But apparently can that first kanji 宇 mean heaven/sora in some ways/meaning.
Maybe MAL is going to correct the translated title in the middle of the season, as they did with "Hai-Furi" to "High School Fleet", about 3-4 episodes into the season.
Jan 2, 2018 4:46 PM

Nov 2007
RobertBobert said:
And how is it called when a teenager runs away somewhere far away and at the same time hiding it from his parents?

I don't seem to find a co-relationship between what I saw in this episode and actually running away from home like some of the users mentioning in the discussions. They just went to Hiroshima on a weekend. But hiding the location from the parents isn't unrealistic.

Just before graduation, I went to one of the remotest of places with my seven of my high school friends with little to no support from adults except for the driver who dropped us off in the middle of the forest with a deal that he would come to pick us back up in four days time. We took permission from our parents but none of us never really disclosed our actual destination because we were almost certain that none of us would be given the permission. We didn't even have network service, little ration to go for three and a half days, a couple of lamps and raincoats to rely on and actually slept under the sky just leaning on giant tree trunks. Those were amazing days. Five of us happened to celebrate last year's new year eve just the other day after all these years and were contemplating on how things could have turned out to be really dangerous back in those days.

There are decisions you can only make as a teenager and not as an adult. You start to rationalize things and outcomes more as an adult. The approach of this anime gave me the same feelings I had back in those days.

If someone asked me if it was worth it, I can say for sure now that it was but I can't say for so sure I would be able to label those days as 'amazing' if something happened to any of us back then.

ImmortalZero said:

I noticed it too but you know how 'Sky' and 'Outer Space' are basically the same thing, so probably it came from there. I have not seen them used interchangeably in my little knowledge of Japanese so this is news to me.

Ersmark said:
I think like you, that someone messed up the translation. It has to be Universe 宇宙 [uchuu]. They even say uchuu at the end (22:55). But apparently can that first kanji 宇 mean heaven/sora in some ways/meaning.

The Official Japanese is Sora yori mo Tooi Basho. Apparently it is written as Uchuu but read as Sora. Source: Official PV where it is read as "Sora".
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 2, 2018 4:59 PM

Dec 2015
I have high hopes for this series. It captures the intrigue and excitement of venturing out into the unknown very accurately. The writing and directing of the show so far also feels very tight and well-executed with script written by Handa Jukki (also the wrote the script for Hibike Euphonium which I loved).
HibikaseJan 2, 2018 6:50 PM
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Jan 2, 2018 5:02 PM

Feb 2016
shanimebib said:
The Official Japanese is Sora yori mo Tooi Basho. Apparently it is written as Uchuu but read as Sora. Source: Official PV where it is read as "Sora".

Thanks for the clear-up! :)
Jan 2, 2018 5:05 PM

Jul 2015
shanimebib said:

ImmortalZero said:

I noticed it too but you know how 'Sky' and 'Outer Space' are basically the same thing, so probably it came from there. I have not seen them used interchangeably in my little knowledge of Japanese so this is news to me.

Ersmark said:

宇宙 also has the reading of "Sora" but the meaning of the kanji stays the same (universe). It is just to look cool with a double meaning in the title.

Jan 2, 2018 5:21 PM
Apr 2016
Really enjoyed the first episode, one of my lifelong ambitions is to travel across the world including Antarctica. Looking forward to next week! :D
Jan 2, 2018 5:33 PM

Jul 2017
Decent episode, adventure is not that bad lmao
Kobuchizawa is an interesting character.
It was just the first episode and they went fast.
I like the casting in the Anime that's why I watched this. lol

Once we realize it, everything will fall into place
Our hearts calling to the future with all their might
We'll move forward, holding each other's shaking hands
Jan 2, 2018 5:33 PM

Nov 2007
AdrianRubinsky said:
宇宙 also has the reading of "Sora" but the meaning of the kanji stays the same (universe). It is just to look cool with a double meaning in the title.

I just checked and Sora is more commonly used as someone's name with the same Kanji as Uchuu. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Hibikase said:
The writing and directing of the show so far also feels very tight and well-executed with script written by Handa Jukki (also the wrote the script for Hibike Euphonium which I loved).

Self quoting from another thread of what anime I am looking forward to the most this season:

shanimebib said:
In order:

1. Gintama. Shirogane no Tamashii-hen. It will probably have one of, if not, the greatest conclusion in anime history.
2. Violet Evergarden. It's KyoAni, duh.
3. CardCaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen. Because it's Sakura!
4. Koi wa Ameagari no You ni. The manga is pretty good for a Seinen romance manga. Wanna see Akira animated.
5. Sora yori mo Tooi Basho. Screenplay by Hanada Jukki. Enough for a reason.
6. Gakuen Babysitters. Because the manga is super adorable.

Not to mention he is the same guy who did series composition/screenplay for some of the anime I have really enjoyed like Chuunibyou, K-On!, Steins;Gate, Kuragehime, Love Live!, No Game No Life and Nichijou. He has worked on two anime that made it in my all time top 10!
Coronavirus.
Jan 2, 2018 5:37 PM

Jan 2011
legit start i'm on board for this advature was thinking it was gonna be like Highschool fleet with the boats but going to Antarctica i did not expect lol

the girls so far are lovely in just one episode i have a pretty decent understanding of the characters shown so far thanks to the solid directing speaking of which like the other small details i found this one kinda funny

was wondering who was working on this till the NGNL cameo madhouse making this look sorta like a movie also were using the same 3D effects Kyonai does for the opening it looks nice with the White highlights i'm just a fan of them.

also kinda freaked out when i saw the 64 and gamecube
Jan 2, 2018 5:42 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
I'm definitely hooked! It surely captured the "cute girls doing cute things" feel in the first episode, and I think this was a pretty strong first episode too. Great direction and very nice vocal soundtrack. I lol'd at the NGNL cameo. xD

I also like the lineup of the seiyuus. :) I have a big smile on my face while watching the episode because it's like Rem herself is going on a trip to Antarctica! <3 Hahaha! >w<

Btw, I like the visuals in the opening especially the perspective optical illusion (I'm sure this is not the correct term for this.. >.>) in the snow, where it looked like Mari swallowed up her 3 friends who looked tiny simply because they were far away from the camera. That was pretty clever and a neat way to end the opening!
Jan 2, 2018 6:11 PM
Nov 2015
wonderful first episode, i didnt thought i get hooked after i read the plot but this episode changed my mind!
GJ Madhous

BTW dos anybody knows the Name of the Song at around 17:54 min ???

thanks in advance!
Jan 2, 2018 6:44 PM

Apr 2012
shanimebib said:
RobertBobert said:
And how is it called when a teenager runs away somewhere far away and at the same time hiding it from his parents?

I don't seem to find a co-relationship between what I saw in this episode and actually running away from home like some of the users mentioning in the discussions. They just went to Hiroshima on a weekend. But hiding the location from the parents isn't unrealistic.

Just before graduation, I went to one of the remotest of places with my seven of my high school friends with little to no support from adults except for the driver who dropped us off in the middle of the forest with a deal that he would come to pick us back up in four days time. We took permission from our parents but none of us never really disclosed our actual destination because we were almost certain that none of us would be given the permission. We didn't even have network service, little ration to go for three and a half days, a couple of lamps and raincoats to rely on and actually slept under the sky just leaning on giant tree trunks. Those were amazing days. Five of us happened to celebrate last year's new year eve just the other day after all these years and were contemplating on how things could have turned out to be really dangerous back in those days.

There are decisions you can only make as a teenager and not as an adult. You start to rationalize things and outcomes more as an adult. The approach of this anime gave me the same feelings I had back in those days.

If someone asked me if it was worth it, I can say for sure now that it was but I can't say for so sure I would be able to label those days as 'amazing' if something happened to any of us back then.

Oh, if I had learned that "my child" had sailed to Antarctica to search for the missing mother of her friend, I would have had a heart attack, lol. On the other hand, we still did not see other episodes, it's possible that they are sent as part of a group, since cast and opening credits includes many more characters, as if it would be something similar to Sakura Quest.

LunyRed said:
I also like the lineup of the seiyuus. :) I have a big smile on my face while watching the episode because it's like Rem herself is going on a trip to Antarctica! <3 Hahaha! >w<

Btw, I like the visuals in the opening especially the perspective optical illusion (I'm sure this is not the correct term for this.. >.>) in the snow, where it looked like Mari swallowed up her 3 friends who looked tiny simply because they were far away from the camera. That was pretty clever and a neat way to end the opening!

I especially liked the type that she "chose", the childish tomboy definitely suits her type of voice. Even more than girly girl.

Yes, animation and design definitely deserve praise, immediately sensed, that it's original anime. The only thing, I was a little embarrassed by their smile. As if I was caught in something obscene :D.

Jan 2, 2018 6:50 PM

Nov 2007
RazielzEU said:
BTW dos anybody knows the Name of the Song at around 17:54 min ???

thanks in advance!

"Haruka to Ooku" by saya.

It is written in katakana but given the lyric the katakana can be translated to "Faraway and In Abundance" which can mean both Antarctica or "A Dream that may seem faraway and too much can be reached through sheer effort".

It's a beautiful song, isn't it?

RobertBobert said:
On the other hand, we still did not see other episodes, it's possible that they are sent as part of a group, since cast and opening credits includes many more characters, as if it would be something similar to Sakura Quest.

That's pretty much it.
shanimebibJan 2, 2018 7:06 PM
Coronavirus.
Jan 2, 2018 7:01 PM

Nov 2011
Wow...this episode exceeded my expectations ten fold! The music...THE MUSIC!!! omg so freaking amazing. I actually have no problem with the art and animation. I thought it was very fluent.

Extremely well done first episode. Really looking forward to more.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Summer 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 2, 2018 7:06 PM
Sep 2010
Totally didn’t expect this to be so fun! I also love the art style, so I can’t wait for more episodes :D
Jan 2, 2018 7:09 PM

Apr 2017
When I first read the synopsis I wasn't that interested. Thought "girls going to Antarctica? PFFFFFT." Then there was nothing else out yet and this popped up and I figured, "why not check out the first episode at least." Glad I did. I'm hooked. Characters are charming, the reason for them going to Antarctica is interesting and the art is enjoyable in a way that it's different enough to stand on it's own compared to others but no too far from the norm to be weird.

I don't know, I'll be seeing this through to the end, how many episodes that may be.
Jan 2, 2018 7:41 PM
Apr 2017
Wonderful first episode
The music,art, character all of them were good
Nice Job Studio Madhouse!
(I just realized that studio Madhouses made 3 anime this season lol)
Jan 2, 2018 7:52 PM

Apr 2017
The premise of this anime was so great!
Jan 2, 2018 8:04 PM

Dec 2015
Am i the only person concerned about what the family of this girl would think if she suddenly disappeared like that? Or how her mother would feel. It kinda made me anxious, just thinking about it.
Jan 2, 2018 8:12 PM

Jan 2014
My face in the first half of this show: -___________-
My face in the second half of this show: :'''''''D

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 2, 2018 8:21 PM

Jun 2013
Fucking product placement. Well played, Madhouse.
Jan 2, 2018 8:33 PM
Jul 2016
I went into this not quite knowing to expect from it, but OH MY GOD what a great first episode! Mari herself, the animation, the music, guh. <3
Jan 2, 2018 9:00 PM

Mar 2017
Wow. What a great opener. 5/5 for me!

Everything feels comfy, the animation looks good, the characters are energetic and lovable. The OSTs are also amazing, including the opening, insert song, etc.

This is a great surprise for me. I'm in!
Jan 2, 2018 9:22 PM
Jul 2013
Wonderful 1st episode. Also did anyone catch what the text says on Shirase's phone?
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2018

409 by mjjones0 »»
Sep 6, 6:19 PM

» Binge or slow watch?

Crystalligator - Aug 23

18 by GoldEEr »»
Aug 28, 5:21 PM

» What's good about this ?

Bruh-__- - Nov 25, 2021

25 by Laplace_kun »»
Aug 23, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2018

214 by kirA_-_ »»
Aug 18, 7:41 AM

» How realistic is this??

Sandro8604 - May 25, 2021

12 by Tacsk0 »»
Aug 13, 1:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.