Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 2, 2017 12:38 PM

Feb 2017
Wasn't sure at the start, but really enjoyed it as it progressed. I love Zouroku <3

Don't really care about the plot much, but I can't wait to see how their relationship progresses and I wanna know more about Sana. Sana's dress is lovely <3
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Apr 2, 2017 12:42 PM

Mar 2008
Surprisingly long first episode at 44 minutes! But I liked it, bad CGI and odd character designs and all there's something of a great story here. I almost expected a tsundere relationship with the little girl and the old man but it's nice that's not the case here, he really doesn't take any crap and expect respect from children.

TO-MAS sounds like they'll be delivering another great score after their Flip Flappers OST which was one of the big draws for me, excited to hear more of it.

Alice and Wonderland allusions are a bit overdone in fiction but oh well can't wait to see more of the anime, going to be a good watch this season.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Apr 2, 2017 12:50 PM
Nov 2010
WarriorOfTimes said:
Guys come on, how did you not Notice the moving Scenery after the Car stopped? ;D

That was soo low budget production like.
The old Guy jammed the Brakes and stoped the Car aside the Road, still the Scenery was moving until they levitated xD

Came here for this. It's a huge mistake to overlook, and they didn't have a single person preview it?
Apr 2, 2017 1:01 PM
Sep 2012
I don't know anything that happens past episode 1, but I making a plot twist prediction the woman that Zana in the beginning, that is Zoroku's grand daughter I am calling that right now.

Anyway this does have a Dimension W vibe except without romantic tension.
Apr 2, 2017 1:10 PM
Oct 2012
VanishingKira said:
Zoroku and Sana's interactions are good,this should've been a SoL anime instead cause honestly don't give a crap about the research facility stuff and the action.

I think it will be primarily SOL with some Mahou Shoujo stuff thrown in. The SOL being how Sana learns to be a normal girl in this world despite having godlike powers.

Not sure if the writer has the ability to pull it off, but so far so good, love the Yakuza guy with the flower.
Apr 2, 2017 1:14 PM

Jun 2015
Not expecting the 44 mins, despite that story seems really interesting hopefully we get more background info regarding the girl who saved Sana
Apr 2, 2017 1:31 PM
Jul 2018
Liked the first episode. Glad they chose to turn this in a 46 minute episode because the second half had a lot of cute Sana and Zoroku's interactions.

Lymus said:
Car stops, "Why did you stop"

background, while the "camera" is in the car, keeps moving like they are still driving ...

I swear this stuff normally never bothers me but I was so confused when that happened that it was somewhat jarring. But I don't expect JC Staff to make the same obvious mistake.
Apr 2, 2017 1:31 PM
Jun 2016
This anime attracted me, its been a while JC Staff produce anime like this, gonna keep watching. Somehow, remind me of dimension w except that the MC old man is just an ordinary person. xD
Apr 2, 2017 1:35 PM

Jun 2012
Plot is very similar to Flip Flappers (Young girl with ability to create everything, even entire worlds) characters are interesting, and i didn't even notice when those 44 minutes passed :)
Apr 2, 2017 1:44 PM
Jun 2016
Just one episode in...and I am a fan of the grandpa.

They should just make him the MC...and have him battle against the superpowered lolis...

I'll watch. (grin)

Good episode....seems like I have found another good series to watch!
"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love, so if one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
Apr 2, 2017 1:58 PM

Oct 2016
I can't watch an anime if it's gonna look like that. It won't be enjoyable enough to be worth it.
Apr 2, 2017 1:59 PM
Jul 2018
Oh I love this show! such a plesant 40 mintue watch it was! soothing soudtrack and art is really cool.Not to mention, I really like the character chemistry! I felt some nostalgic experience watching old man's life....

4/5 from me for this episode.
Apr 2, 2017 1:59 PM

Jan 2014
Grandpa is best boy!
I feel like this might be a flop since most of the action scenes are gonna use CGI and the main plot is really boring.
Apr 2, 2017 2:09 PM

Jun 2016
Seems like a very interesting spin on the child/parental figure formula crossed with some fantasy elements.

I have high hopes for this one. It shows a number of considerable strengths that really help it stand out. Most importantly, it looks to have a very strong main duo, especially Zouroku - great character who's already showing a level of depth, balance and realism that many shows struggle to achieve in their entire run. Sana definitely has potential as well, though, and the chemistry between them is great!

"Don't stand up on the chair!" XD

Also loved the way they subtly implied that the Zouroku's only living family is his granddaughter. The guy's clearly been through a lot...

Then all this is buttressed by an evocative soundtrack, comedy that works surprisingly well, and multiple narrative elements with plenty of potential for conflict/development... and yet so far, none of it feels too predictable!

I'm not too bothered by the awkward CGI scenes, since they seems to make up a minority of this show's time and value. Certainly, it's peanuts compared to all the things I like so far, although if this show takes an action-heavy route, it could become somewhat of a problem. Still, I've definitely seen much worse (except that moving background mistake). You can still easily follow everything that happens during the chase; it's just the sudden style changes that make it feel out of place.

I'm also curious as to how Sana's powers will be limited when they come into play. Seeing as she can theoretically make, well... anything, I'm guessing it'll be a case of how much energy she has. Food will truly be the most powerful weapon here!

All in all, a strong opener for me, and I really hope the show can deliver on all this potential!

4/5
PlasmatizeApr 2, 2017 2:15 PM
Apr 2, 2017 2:10 PM

Aug 2013
The CGI is alright. It is not terrible. I don't know, maybe my standard of CGI in anime dropped after all the horrible CGI anime I have seen. The moving background outside when the car stopped was a pretty bad mistake tho.

The art style is decent. Interesting to look at a serious old man in an anime world filled with moe-looking characters.

Not so interested in the story. There have been tons of anime about kids with supernatural abilities being experimented in research facility. I would have liked this anime more if it was just a slice of life series about an old man and a bratty kid with superpower.
Apr 2, 2017 2:19 PM

Jun 2010
This Anime kind of reminds me of Gokukoku no Brynhildr, but the Male protagonist is way lamer, and the female protagonist is way cuter.
Apr 2, 2017 2:23 PM

Jul 2012
The first moments of the anime were kinda weird, I don't know why.
The megane guy seems just too chill aboout all this situation, maybe he wanted her to get way...? o-o
But, the ending was great and I expecting it to be quite nice, let's see!

Apr 2, 2017 2:30 PM

Nov 2011
I like the old man putting the little girl in her place dynamic. Hopefully the next episodes feature less cars.
Apr 2, 2017 2:31 PM

Oct 2013
Zouroku is based. I liked when he chastised Sana, Asahi, and Yonaga after the car chase. They so deserved it!
Apr 2, 2017 2:38 PM
Oct 2016
WarriorOfTimes said:
Guys come on, how did you not Notice the moving Scenery after the Car stopped? ;D

That was soo low budget production like.
The old Guy jammed the Brakes and stoped the Car aside the Road, still the Scenery was moving until they levitated xD

I saw that, it was bizarre. '-'

This 45 minutes episode it's really just one episode? Could be a double special one?
Apr 2, 2017 2:41 PM

Dec 2016
This was really good.

Looks like there will be plenty of action involved.

Looks like it will also be a lot of fun to watch Sana & Zouroku together.

I enjoyed this a lot.
Apr 2, 2017 2:44 PM

May 2013
So, this just supernatural battle cliche anime and instead high school boy, the mc is granpa who always preached about moral everytime he's talk.
Apr 2, 2017 2:45 PM

Sep 2016
I really liked this surprisingly long first episode, it was a welcome surprise I'll add

I can get over the CGI and what I can only hope are mistakes with some of the visual aspects (the background moving when the car had "stopped" being the main example), even though. were other weirder examples (the beer pouring looked goofy to me) There's been anime with worse visual aspects this year alone (hello Hand Shakers and Forest Fairy Five)

The story is touching and interesting so far, and I didn't mind the action scenes CGI excluded. I really hope this goes into a child-parent/guardian relationship with the main two characters, and focusses on that more than the Brynhildr style plot.

I'll have to wait and see, a start that show potential is how I'd summarise this.

300th pun
xchyssa said:
You got some nice viewpoint there, I always know I can't fool you with my sharpest tagging skills

Apr 2, 2017 2:53 PM
Apr 2016
I didn't expect the 44 mins ep, was at the end when I noticed the length lol
Well it seems to have a chance to become a great anime still... that little mistake of the cgi when the car stopped worries me... particularly doesn't bother me the animation quality but things like that ruin the mood.
Apr 2, 2017 2:59 PM
Jul 2015
Pretty good start, despite the jarring cgi bits.
Didn't notice it was a 44 minute episode until someone mentioned it in this discussion thread, which is a good thing.
Apr 2, 2017 3:08 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I wasn't feeling the first half, gonna be honest here.

The second half is basically what i expected from this series though and it was pretty nice. Zouroku and Sana are a great duo. I wonder what is up with his granddaughter, there's definitely something there.
Apr 2, 2017 3:45 PM
Jun 2014
In my eyes, I thought this episode was pretty good. I also did not expect that this episode would be so long. Before this was released I thought this would be a slice of life anime about an old man and his loli granddaughter(boy was I wrong). I guess that is what I get for not reading the synopsis. I also will agree with others that the CG effects were really odd. Anyways I'll continue to watch this series and see where it goes.

P.S. I also wanna add that this is the first time I have seen an older person as a main character.
otaku_freakazoidApr 2, 2017 3:57 PM
Apr 2, 2017 3:46 PM

Aug 2016
I really like the show so far. The CGI part was awful, but aside from that, it's a show with a great premise, good art, and potential to be a heartwarming story. I can't wait for next week.
Apr 2, 2017 3:47 PM
Mar 2017
This is shit. Too many plotholes like if Sana can create anything why didn't she made money to buy food or food itself to satisfy her hunger? Animation is garbage tier, characters are edgy and the plot is somehow predictable. Don't watch this shit if you're looking for a quality show.

1/5
Apr 2, 2017 3:50 PM

Aug 2011
Nice start.
The car scene with the moving background lmao.

» Escapism.

Apr 2, 2017 3:59 PM

Nov 2013
this was pretty fun to watch

people who complain about cgi mistakes...the same people who complained about kemono friends, one of the most popular animes of last season, enough said
(i'll admit the thing in the car at 17 minutes was kinda bad but still...if people didnt point it out i wouldn't really notice/care) lol
winddevil1Apr 2, 2017 4:05 PM
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Apr 2, 2017 3:59 PM
Oct 2015
Sana said she didnt eat for 3 days but she just had eaten at the police department... that really annoys me
Apr 2, 2017 4:03 PM

Apr 2015
I really think I'm gonna love this series! May even be AOTS for me.
Apr 2, 2017 4:06 PM

Apr 2012
Grandpa Of The Season
Apr 2, 2017 4:10 PM
Mar 2017
I really enjoy having Zoroku as a lead, its really refreshing to have an old man as the MC.
Apr 2, 2017 4:14 PM

Dec 2012
Interesting first episode. The ED song is nice.
The CGI is odd & weird.

Amazed at how Zouroku is not that shocked about Sana's supernatural abilities.
Nice to see him show some authority.
So he was a florist. That's nice.

Being able to create things is cool.
Sana is cute & she looks nice in that dress.

Looking forward to seeing more.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Apr 2, 2017 4:20 PM

Jul 2016
funniervalentine said:
This is shit. Too many plotholes like if Sana can create anything why didn't she made money to buy food or food itself to satisfy her hunger? Animation is garbage tier, characters are edgy and the plot is somehow predictable. Don't watch this shit if you're looking for a quality show.

1/5

Well at least there is a plot, unlike many other anime from the last season (like Urara Meirochou or Demi-chan). Sure, the CGI was pretty bad, and that "moving scenario" bit was a mistake I didn't expect JC Staff to make. But I believe it's yet too soon to write off this anime. One thing for sure is that I went through these 44 or so mins more easily than through the first 5 mins of Urara's or Demi-chan's last episodes.
Apr 2, 2017 4:21 PM

May 2015
Not sure what to expect right now, but the first episode was decent I'd say. Interesting so far.

But holy crap, that CGI though. It was a little bit too much at times, lol.

Apr 2, 2017 4:32 PM

Jul 2016
Wow, that was pretty impressive for a first episode. Such a unique atmosphere, both a tense and a relaxing setting, and extremely interesting characters...if only the CGI wasn't there! I mean, every other bit of animation was great, especially the flowers.

I can't wait to see what's next!
Apr 2, 2017 4:35 PM

Oct 2012
Very promising first episode. As others have mentioned the CGI is really terrible (if you're going to use it at least make sure it blends in better). Zouroku seems pretty cool to me. He has a heart and he punches children in the head out of love :) This could be a good series especially if they keep the powers and fighting to a minimum. Unfortunately I doubt that will be the case.
Apr 2, 2017 4:36 PM
Jul 2018
This new season of Initial D looks amazing, the racing animation was top notch πŸ‘Œ

OT: I'm already in love with Zouroku character, the guy is such a grumpy yet charming old man that doesn't care about anything XD
Was an interesting start, while the whole concept is not something particularly new they did a decent job introducing the characters. Plus i like the chemistry between Sana and Zouroku, very sweet.
Apr 2, 2017 4:41 PM

Nov 2014
animefan8800 said:
Holy 44 minutes! Oh yes, now this has quite the potential to be good as I thought it might. Both leads are interesting, likeable, and should be fun to see work off each other.

What 44 minutes? I had to check to see if that was true because it really didn't feel like it. Solid first episode except every car in the series
Apr 2, 2017 4:50 PM

Jul 2009
Besides the appalling CGI the show looks interesting, I'm quite curious to know how things will turn out, especially with the Zettai Karen Children vibes I'm getting.
Apr 2, 2017 4:51 PM

Dec 2010
Got about 30 minutes in before calling it quits. My god that was unbearably boring.
Apr 2, 2017 5:14 PM

Oct 2015
Grampa and Loli the animation
Apr 2, 2017 5:34 PM

Jul 2014
Wow good episode, much better than I expected.
4/5
Apr 2, 2017 5:50 PM

Aug 2013
Zarator said:
funniervalentine said:

1/5

Well at least there is a plot, unlike many other anime from the last season (like Urara Meirochou or Demi-chan). Sure, the CGI was pretty bad, and that "moving scenario" bit was a mistake I didn't expect JC Staff to make. But I believe it's yet too soon to write off this anime. One thing for sure is that I went through these 44 or so mins more easily than through the first 5 mins of Urara's or Demi-chan's last episodes.
don't watch seinen series if you're still kid inside
and then bash the series because it's 'boring' and you dont like it
Apr 2, 2017 6:41 PM

Oct 2014
Now that's a true oldman voice for you!

Kashimura Zouroku, what a guy
Apr 2, 2017 6:46 PM

Jan 2011
whoa was wondering why that starting stuff was going on for so long didn't realize this was 44mins till i was questioning how it was still on lol

seems interesting i figured it'd be another sorta parenting like anime but i didn't think it was gonna have magic in it ,lol best part for me is that it's taking place in Kabukicho having finished Yakuza 0 not to long ago this makes me happy

old man kiryu is trying to live his retired life as forist but now hes gotta deal with a bunch of magic users
Apr 2, 2017 6:49 PM

May 2015
<3 pretty good
i like zouroku seems like a pretty chill guy who went through a lot
while watching it i felt like the opening theme should be sang by claris for some reason :D
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Alice to Zouroku Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2017

114 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Dec 21, 2023 11:02 PM

Poll: » Alice to Zouroku Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2017

60 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Dec 20, 2023 10:42 PM

» Deserves a second season.

Botan-Chan45 - May 3, 2018

2 by Hofner1962 »»
Aug 31, 2023 10:11 PM

Poll: » Alice to Zouroku Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 28, 2017

50 by cat_of_hell »»
Oct 8, 2022 11:05 AM

Poll: » Alice to Zouroku Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2017

37 by CQLLIST »»
May 20, 2022 9:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.