Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Festival Accompanying Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Aug 11, 2010 11:03 AM

Jan 2009
Urufuzu_rein said:
Oosran said:
Anyway, I do not approve of this attempt to make Takano (Miyo that is) look like some kind of "good" person. That just feels terribly misplaced, but it is a common concept after all, trying to get an antagonist to look less bad and all.
Look less bad?So,did you want something like:''Takano comes to Hinamizawa and randomly commits a genocide without a serios reason''?
Also,why shouldn't a mystery contain supernatural elements?It's a fictional world.Boogiepop Phantom explained all it's mysteries with the supernatural and no one complained.In Higurashi,the murders weren't explained using a supernatural element.Hanyuu was the only supernatural being.You can even consider her a quasi-meta-character.She is resposible just for Rika's revival.This is not another ordinary mystery with a predictable and lame conclusion.
It's too bad that the whole premise is stupid.You wasted too much time of your life with it.
Oh I know, I was more or less forced into it.
And sure, I wouldn't mind Takano just going in there commiting a random genocide without any particular reason.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Aug 26, 2010 12:59 AM

Jan 2008
Wow.. Takano was messed up until the very end.

1000 year journey? O_O

Aw, Hanyuu & Rika slepping together.
Sep 14, 2010 5:31 AM
Dec 2007
Oosran said:
Oh I know, I was more or less forced into it.
And sure, I wouldn't mind Takano just going in there commiting a random genocide without any particular reason.
Genocides almost always have a reason, even if the reason only makes sense to the killer, so there's no such thing as a random genocide.

Oct 2, 2010 8:59 AM

Aug 2010
who is that woman at the end? is that rika rika?
Oct 13, 2010 1:46 PM
Dec 2007
tthammy said:
who is that woman at the end? is that rika rika?
Frederika Bernkastel, a witch. Also, by saving Takano Miyo's parents she creates an alternate dimension in which Hinamizawa loses the dam war (there's no Tokyo organization to save it) and no one dies. Rika actually gets trapped in it during a certain extra event and it is implied she kills her mother in order to return to her original time.

So no, Bernkastel is not good, she's as evil and trickster as all the witches in the When They Cry series.

Oct 23, 2010 10:52 AM

Jun 2009
Awww this is over!!! I still have the other season to see but...
Great ending! Love this season of higurashi!!
Oct 26, 2010 6:56 PM

Oct 2010
As often: last episode is a bit less exciting than previous ones, but also the most important.

As for the whole anime, my score for the first season probably won't be increased, but now I may safely recommend this anime (with note: "just wait patiently for the second season and you won't regret anything"). Hehe, that's interesting anime. First season was so "wtf?" then I really started to regret watching it, but I had a feeling that after second season I can change my mind and I was right ;)

top 3 anime: Code Geass | One Piece | Death Note
Nov 19, 2010 3:38 PM

Aug 2010
Watching Takano's plans get stomped on put a real smile on my face. It would of been really cool to see Yamainu vs Banken though. The end of Furude Rika's thousand year journey in search of a miracle. They've finally done it!!!! Incredible anime 9/10
Nov 21, 2010 2:37 AM

Nov 2010
Is there where we are supposed to feel sorry for Takano?
Nov 26, 2010 1:25 PM

Aug 2007
Well, I was disapointed about this. The first season is much better. But I really liked the adult Rika
Nov 26, 2010 11:05 PM

Sep 2010
Tired... watched this 11 episode arc all at once... well worth it though.
My heart was racing through this last arc, but now I'm finally assured.

Looked like Hanyuu deflected/dodged the bullet. Either way, GOOD JOB.

Anyways, I was glad that Takano was taken away likely to be cured. Her methods to accomplish her goals were despicable, but with her adverse background and devotion to her grandfather, it'll be too unjustified to simply kill her. Potentially, I even see some possibility of her and Tomitake.

A valuable lesson that the gang learned is that killing only creates more troubles. In the end, no one was killed (well, almost everyone). For once, the fate of Hinamizawa did not end in massive bloodshed. And now they can finally enjoy their future.

I don't quite get the last part. But I'm guessing that Miyo went back to the house and delayed the parent's time. Thus they missed the accident bus, and therefore avoiding a tragedy? Well, that wasn't totally necessary, but whatever works to the audience.

Now, to compare the first season with the second, I'd say both have their merits. While the first season had satisfying amounts of blood and mystery, the direction of which it was taking certainly wasn't too clear. And too many question were left unsolved. As for the second season, the gore is toned down slightly. But what stood out is the element of determination, resulting in fate being overthrown. Certainly the first season was excellent to begin with, but this season topped it off with a catharsis. This is why I personally prefer season 2.

Now, on to the comic relief in Rei. Because after all this emotional trauma, I need some time to recover.

paskyx said:

:D
coolwolfNov 26, 2010 11:09 PM

Nov 28, 2010 2:51 PM

Jul 2009
I was a little bit disappointed with this ending but I guess it was satisfactory in the end. Overall, I think this series had a better and obviously more coherent storyline than the first series but I didn't enjoy it quite as much. The suspension and tension that was present in the first series was mostly absent in this one, but I think the character development was very good to make up for it. 8.5/10
Nov 28, 2010 2:54 PM

Jul 2009
I was a little bit disappointed with this ending but I guess it was satisfactory in the end. Overall, I think this series had a better and obviously more coherent storyline than the first series but I didn't enjoy it quite as much. The suspension and tension that was present in the first series was mostly absent in this one, but I think the character development was very good to make up for it. 8.5/10
Nov 28, 2010 3:17 PM

Jun 2010
Holy crap... that was one of the most satisfying anime endings ever... wow, what an anime... very, very well done. Definitely one of my favorites!
Dec 31, 2010 5:29 AM

Sep 2010
I would like to start off by saying wow~

Where the first season very effectively created more questions then answers, and after a while instead of expecting any kind of coherent answers, really just wondered who was killing who this time, was completely amazed from episode one of season 2. I would like to say that season one was just "something to get through so you can start two", but really if season one didn't confuse you so well, season two wouldn't seem so satisfying ^^

I loved the completely different angle they took this season, it really felt like you got the whole picture, and made characters that were mere side thoughts to most in season one (my Rika-chan and that biach Takano) into the stars. Side note I loved how they revealed Oni-baba's true side.

The end felt really complete and finally, peace for the village that needed it so badly. As beautifully signified with the final calender change at the end. All in all, I think this season easily gets a 8.5/10 for me, and even though Rika has been my favorite character since season 1, the last arch really made Hanyuu tie up top for me.

Here is to a new favorite <3
Jan 1, 2011 7:37 PM

Dec 2008
*winces*

W-What? It's... it's over? And... no one died? Really? *sniffsniff* W-Wow! Okay, awesome! Yay, Higurashi! I mean, you solved everything without a ton of violence! And the conclusion was just about equal to the insane amount of awesome build-up!!

I actually felt sorry for Takano. And I wanted to give Akasaka a big hug too. AKASAKAAAAA! <333

I was horribly, HORRIBLY confused at bit after the ED. I was thinking, "Yay, everything has come to a close, all the pieces fit, and there's no more mystery. I almost miss it." Then that happened. What? WHAT?! WHAAAAAT?!

I guess that's what Rei will be for...

And in conclusion...

Liked that everything was answered, the whole series is amazing, but Kai I will give an 8/10. It had memorable moments, with solid pieces to the story, and I was addicted to watching the episodes back to back at certain points, but I did find myself slowing down and dragging through some of the earlier ones. And unlike the first season, where I was staying up until 8 AM trying to finish an arc, so the suspense wasn't as gripping to me, despite the adorable addition of Hanyuu and all of her awesome godliness. On the rewatch of both seasons I could see that rating possibly getting bumped up, but for now, it is a solid, strong, awesome 8/10.
Jan 2, 2011 12:30 AM

Dec 2010
Well that was that. A happy ending.I wished there was some sort of romance involved or something...like where the hell was satoshi and shion?! I really wanted to see that so bad even if it is cliche to do so. Compared to first season, I'd say it had turned out to be a different genre. It was less psychological and more direct on mild violence (which wasn't bad at all) than first. First season made me go wtf and open my eyes while second one gave me relief and a feeling of understanding

Despite this, I still feel some holes weren't covered. For instance in first season with shion's arc, how the hell did she come back from the dead and murder teiichi in the hospital? Also, the body floatin by the landlords house with the nails hammered through the hand joints - just who on earth is it?

I expected them to utilize more of the small arcs that take place in different times to build up on in season 2 but now it sorta feels like the graphic murders and stuff weren't all that necessary. The point that was needed to get across was the feeling of trust and beleiving in urself and friends which I think would have been pulled off without having to animate psychotic characters. Nonetheless, I loved them! I really love rena the most but to my suprise all the girls were a bit evened out (with the exception of rika of course)

Oops I sorta sidetracked there with the last couple of sentences...what I was tryna say was that since deem went thru all the efforts to have those graphic arcs in first season, they should have at least got Rika to explain to the rest of the characters exactly what they did in those paralell worlds. I wouldve loved to see the different types of reactions they would have, especially shion considering hers was downright an atrocity (but I still love her).

Never knew there was a 3rd season :( even though my bro had it on his harddrive. I'm gonna have to get it and watch asap.

Ill have to give this season a 8.5-9/10. First season def gets 10/10 in my book though. It just had a more interesting plot device which left me wondering - even in confusion.

No point wondering about the ending preview. Its probably something that is going to be explained in season three so I have no reason to rush.
RezurrektJan 2, 2011 12:36 AM

Jan 3, 2011 3:50 PM

Nov 2009
THEY MADE IT! WOOHOO! I was so scared at the end where Takano had the last bullet and met with every1... good thing she missed haha... hmm i wonder if she would have went to Tokyo... what would happen? but good thing she's going to the clinic... omg im so glad they made it to the city! now everything is PERFECTO! yay Rika somehow went back in time and saved her lol *she didnt grow boobs like she wanted i think X'D* but anyway yay she grew older! haha... AHAHA i loved the festival! the bear thing was amazing and Mion shooting Keiichi haha anyway i LOVED this anime! i hope theres more! i wanna know what happen to Satoshi hehe...
Jan 4, 2011 3:10 PM

Mar 2010
Adult Rika reminds me of Lucy from Elfen Lied. I'm going to start the Higurashi Rei now!
Jan 13, 2011 12:02 PM

Jan 2010
finally no one dies!!!!!! 9/10
Jan 20, 2011 12:44 PM

Apr 2010
Amzs2121 said:
Adult Rika reminds me of Lucy from Elfen Lied.

Yea I was thinking the same thing too! xD

Anyways, I did like this season. It cleared up alot of stuff the first one didn't and that's cool. A lot less stabbing and death but it was still great.
I will pick up the third season soon. ^.^
[Catchy, cool, insightful quote]
Mar 9, 2011 5:56 PM

Nov 2007
This season was really nice and I really really like Rika. One complaint is that because it was stretched out to be 24 episode, it made the series suffer in pacing and atmosphere. I think it would have been a lot more compact if it had say, 5-7 episodes less. Also, the friendship speeches were dangerously close to being cheesy. However, the only time it crossed the line was with Mion's speech in this episode....

I don't know whether to watch the third season. I heard it's fluffy and happy, and while I don't object, the moe jokes aren't as funny as it would been 4 years ago.
Mar 9, 2011 7:52 PM

Oct 2010
CookieBun said:
Also, the friendship speeches were dangerously close to being cheesy.

Dangerously cheesy? Chester Cheetah would be proud!

CookieBun said:
I don't know whether to watch the third season. I heard it's fluffy and happy, and while I don't object, the moe jokes aren't as funny as it would been 4 years ago.

It's only 5 episodes total, and only the first and last of them are stand-alone fun episodes. These are only "fluffy and happy" in that there is no serious horror plot unfolding in them. But it's not anything like the friendship speeches or other sort of happy-ending, sentimental stuff. I suppose the first involves a moe Rena, so maybe you won't like that one. But the "feel" to the 2nd is in regard to the characters' competitive attitudes and fighting spirit like you see when they play games. I thought the 3rd season was pretty solid, and short and sweet so it won't feel like it's dragging on.
Apr 19, 2011 1:53 AM

Jul 2009
love the anime :D

better than season 1, sure they aren't any graphic kill, but they really focused on the story here.

i felt sorry for takano, she only wanted someone to accept her as her own. hopefully we get to see more of her and satoshi in season 3 :)

love the series 10/10 :P

oh and adult rika FTW

Apr 28, 2011 2:59 AM

Sep 2010
damn i wanted takano to claw at her throat how funny would that be
Jun 19, 2011 8:04 PM

Jun 2010
Ah, I've enjoyed re-watching Matsuribayashi on the night of Watanagashi. Anyway, my thoughts on the episode:

(5 min in)I love it how Takano thinks she can still take on the Banken. There's a reason why their name sounds like Bankai.
...I know. bad bleach reference. Not even good enough to qualify as a pun.

(6 min in) Rika can fly!

(9 min in) "Major, We have lost the game" Dammit Okonogi!

(8-13 min in) Alright, I'll admit, she's one hell of an omnicidal bitch who's obsessed at becoming god and is not above killing anyone who gets in her way... but damn is it sad and depressing to see her a complete and utterly ruined wreck like this...

(13.5 min in) Okay, adding revenge to omnicidalness. Go to hell Takano. Your revenge-filled giggles of joy and despair are creeping me out.

(16.5 min in) And she missed. Tons of drama and awesome before the shot. It's different than how it was done in the VN, but I can see why they did not do it the same way. it would be a mix between not enough time, and having to have Hanyuu show her time-stopping ability when she used it in Minnagoroshi, which Minnagoroshi did not have time for. Well done, one detail off, I'm nitpicking way too much.

(18 min in) Yep, she's got the syndrome. Either that or she rubs poison ivy on her neck.

(after credits) Ah, Bernkastel. Believe it or not, this scene is actually cannon. She is not an adult Rika, maybe not the Bernkastel from Umineko... actually, no one is quite sure who the hell she is. Most people guess that the Bernkastel in Higurashi is the combination of the memories of all the past Rikas who died. She goes from world to world, changing little things to see what will help Rika defeat fate. That possibly includes Keiichi remembering Onikakushi hen and Akasaka coming back the first time (Second time it was Rika, but that takes even longer to explain).

Anyway, this world that Bern changes now ends up being shown in Rei, a "perfect world."
Jun 19, 2011 9:30 PM
Dec 2007
Zfish9 said:

Anyway, this world that Bern changes now ends up being shown in Rei, a "perfect world."
No such thing as perfect as we see in Rei. I think Bern just likes to troll.

Jun 20, 2011 8:26 PM

Jun 2010
That's why I said it in quotes. At first it looks like a perfect world, but it's far from it in reality.

I can't say I can agree with Bern trolling yet (Although I'm guessing people call her Trollkastel for a reason). I'll start reading Umineko this summer and see how much she trolls myself.
Jun 30, 2011 1:29 PM

Oct 2010
MarthX said:
Looked like Hanyuu deflected the bullet.

yeh i thought that to, a bit confused by the last bit, why did Rika go back in time if it was all alright any way? maybe more explanation in the ova or next season.
Jun 30, 2011 1:50 PM
Dec 2007
Nichibotsu-kaeru said:
MarthX said:
Looked like Hanyuu deflected the bullet.

yeh i thought that to, a bit confused by the last bit, why did Rika go back in time if it was all alright any way? maybe more explanation in the ova or next season.
She didn't. Bernkastel (her so-called alter-ego) did. This creates the "perfect" world of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei...

Jun 30, 2011 2:50 PM

Mar 2011
It was great! But I nearly shizzed my pants, when Frederica Bernkastel suddenly appeared at he end.
Jul 3, 2011 11:13 AM

Oct 2010
nice way to end a great, complexelled plotted anime :D
Sep 28, 2011 5:08 PM

Aug 2011
10/10

I don't really care about logic and flaws and lack of gore, what should have happened and the manga and what bits they missed out.

This is one of the only animes to pull me in and keep me interested all the way through and make me feel so many different emotions in such a short time.

So, full marks.

Oct 11, 2011 8:27 PM
Jul 2018
Wow. That was an awesome ending! Absolutely loved the series - 10/10.
Oct 12, 2011 4:55 AM

Dec 2009
Just stayed up all night to finish the last arc haha. So much was tied together and fits into the intricate story. On to season 3 I guess!
Nov 1, 2011 9:39 AM

Aug 2011
After growing to love the intensely violent murders of the first season, I was disappointed by the lack thereof in the second. =/ Oh well. Great story; great conclusion. Would've been a perfect ending if Takano had clawed her throat out. (Don't care HOW shitty your childhood was. Don't care how much you want to be acknowledged. It'll never justify murdering a village.) With all the super-conceited giggling Takano does, I'll never sympathize with her.
Nov 5, 2011 11:45 AM

Aug 2009
Great great show, although the ending almost seemed to be a little too happy xD

Nov 9, 2011 5:11 AM
Nov 2010
First season was pretty good but the second season blew me away, especially during the 48 Hours operation. I've never watched anything that made me forget about everything else while watching. I didn't even notice it was raining.
Dec 17, 2011 7:09 AM

Dec 2011
The last 11 episodes, and the last 4 in particular, just no words for it.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai remains my favourite anime, of all time.
Feb 5, 2012 12:24 AM
Dec 2011
This was a really great series! I enjoyed season 1 and 2 for different reasons. I'll definitely be watching Hirugashi "Rei" soon!
Feb 6, 2012 8:46 PM

Apr 2011
Epic finale! Very touching. Officially my favorite multi-season anime ever.
Feb 6, 2012 10:24 PM
Dec 2011
^ Yeah but I suggest you stop there... "Rei" was a disappointing as they used only 3 okay episodes in the middle meanwhile the first and last were dumb, and "Kira" I simply can't watch it. As it is, I was fast forwarding during the first 2 eps... I can't bare to watch what they did to this great series!
Mar 8, 2012 8:47 PM

Jan 2012
Perfect ending for a perfect series. On to S3.

14/10 =D
Lemme smang it girl.
Mar 17, 2012 5:12 AM

Apr 2011
awe what a happy ending c:
Mar 21, 2012 9:56 PM
Oct 2011
First time I post, and it's also the first time I ever felt like giving an anime a score above 10, well above 10, maybe even 20 >_>

Ohwell maybe I should just lower every other anime's score in my list to compensate, this is now definitively my favorite anime of all time.
Mar 21, 2012 10:10 PM

Nov 2011
Jul 2, 2012 7:37 PM

Jul 2010
AMAZING<3 I honestly felt kind of bad for Takano, but at the same time I was laughing at her haha. It looks like Hinamizawa is a copy of Shirokawa. That's actually really interesting and I'm looking into it right now <3

I've really loved Higurashi so much. This season gets a 10/10 for me because of the plain awesomeness of it all. Especially the first arc really engaged me so much. I can't wait to watch Rei! But it's only 5 episodesss -____-"

Higurashi = Such an awesome and crazy and beautiful show. Period. I cried so hard thorughout it. I came into it expecting a terrifying bloodbath, but it really didn't fulfill my expectations, thankfully. Instead, I got a beautifully crafted and engaging story full of hope. :)
Jul 8, 2012 9:38 AM

May 2012
Damn nice ending, but the last part does it mean she altered the whole future ? Damn now I'm interested what would happen if she didn't lost her parents :p
Jul 8, 2012 10:10 AM
Dec 2007
Boba_Fett said:
Damn nice ending, but the last part does it mean she altered the whole future ? Damn now I'm interested what would happen if she didn't lost her parents :p
Hmm, no, Rika is living perfectly in her world. That "other" woman is someone you might know if you read Umineko, kind of, and the world she creates is indeed an alternate world but it only comes into play in an OVA and is never again mentioned after.

Jul 8, 2012 5:37 PM

Mar 2012
I laughed (penalty games)
I cried (Takano killing everyone)
I shouted (torture scenes from S1)

Amazing anime, didn't think I would give another 10/10 so soon!
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

LunarEmerald - Dec 3, 2007

196 by NightOwl8641 »»
Oct 13, 6:24 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

LunarEmerald - Nov 19, 2007

100 by WutenderEnte »»
Sep 7, 7:52 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Entropy - Aug 3, 2007

156 by AkiFosu »»
Sep 1, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

windy - Jul 26, 2007

102 by AkiFosu »»
Sep 1, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

LunarEmerald - Nov 12, 2007

113 by benisgu »»
Jul 6, 3:11 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.