Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Feb 3, 2018 12:39 PM
Nov 2016
Yes, now that's more like it.

Hiro finally stops being a cuck and pilots the Strelizia alongside Zero 2
Feb 3, 2018 12:53 PM

Aug 2017
Hahaha gimme some of them Seitokai Yakuindomo style sex jokes, the laughs are quite welcome

Zero Two continues to be Best Girl - best personality, best expressions, and her overall badassery is quite enjoyable

Good for Hiro as well for coming to terms with himself, and also realizing that the supervisors' authoritative commands are sometimes misplaced

Looking forward to what's to come
Feb 3, 2018 12:53 PM
Mar 2017
Awesome episode, less drama more action :D
Feb 3, 2018 1:00 PM

Nov 2012
Awesome episode, it's like everyone became a hundred times more likeable! I could actually stand Ichigo this episode, and thus her partner because she stopped making him look like an utter weakling for allowing her obsession with Hiro to harm their connection.
Jaywalker.
Feb 3, 2018 1:02 PM

Jul 2017

AOTS right here my dudes!
Slap the ecchi tag while you're at it too!

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Feb 3, 2018 1:05 PM

Mar 2012
Good episode. I was going to be very disappointed if he didn't get to pilot with 02 again, but here it is. Loved the confession scene and everything, and also how the highschool drama seems to be ending (now with Ichigo focusing on her responsibility and Hiro regaining his confidence in piloting).

One part that didn't make too much sense is that in the end baldy suggested that 02 wouldn't be taken away anymore because 02 and Hiro's compatibility has been proven. So wait a minute: 02 has been killing everyone along the way and the higher-ups do want 02 to find a compatible partner, but here comes this kid who at least piloted with her once and suffered no consequence whatsoever, and they, instead of giving the kid at least one more test run, insisted on bringing her back? That sounds borderline stupid.
zannettFeb 3, 2018 1:08 PM
Feb 3, 2018 1:05 PM
Nov 2016
TurboAutist said:

No, I'm just saying they could have just stormed out of the room and get in the robot against the higher-ups' wishes in episode 3 and nothing would really happen to them.

oh, of course, and that is exactly what 02 intended to do, but hiro was too busy being a self-loathing, spineless coward.
Feb 3, 2018 1:07 PM
Mar 2016
a Klaxosaurus that looks like an electric razor , geez did them illustrator ran out of ideas?????

Now who is this pencil pushing Papa that them parasites were talking about?
Feb 3, 2018 1:09 PM

Dec 2017
HereticHunter said:

That's why I said "Teenage drama" in Quotes, I completely understand that and I'm okay with it, I were also pointing that out since most of people disliked that while referring it as "Edgy teenage drama" or something like that

ahh, yes, i see. i totally agree with you, sorry for the misunderstanding!
Feb 3, 2018 1:10 PM

Feb 2016
uninstallthegame said:
HereticHunter said:

That's why I said "Teenage drama" in Quotes, I completely understand that and I'm okay with it, I were also pointing that out since most of people disliked that while referring it as "Edgy teenage drama" or something like that

ahh, yes, i see. i totally agree with you, sorry for the misunderstanding!

Its okay, It was also my fault for not being clear at all. :)
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Feb 3, 2018 1:10 PM

Sep 2016
Lelouch0202 said:
Good episode with quite the classic turn of events but really enjoyable to watch.

I gotta admit, Hiro's speech felt like something straight out of a romance anime. XD
Well at least he recognized what he truly wanted to do and now he's finally piloting the Franxx.

I'm still wondering why Hiro was only capable of piloting with Zero Two and no one else, and also why only he doesn't seem to be as adversely affected as the other pilots before him while piloting with Zero Two. I hope there's some kind of explanation as to why.

Action scenes were great and I loved how Zero Two just walked in while Hiro was taking a bath to give him a talking too. XD
awesome eps this week indeed loved that action studio is handling the pacing well so far lets keep it up baby woop
Facta Non Verba
Feb 3, 2018 1:12 PM

Dec 2017
Farabeuf said:

I'm surprised that Strelizia works the same way as the others. I kinda assumed that 02 rides her guy, and not the other way around. She's the one in charge always.

i know, right? the first ride she kissed him and he was unconscious, how the heck was it in full maiden form..
Feb 3, 2018 1:22 PM

Aug 2016
Their base access system is just useless as allways, why they not cleared 002 access levels before convoy her to the exit? Why mech is transported in a completely active mode? Even if 002 has superhuman capabilities, Hiro does not, yet they managed to sneak past all guards and hjack Sterlizia. This is what bother me the most in all episode, everything else is fine.
Feb 3, 2018 1:32 PM

Apr 2015
uninstallthegame said:

i know, right? the first ride she kissed him and he was unconscious, how the heck was it in full maiden form..

Well adrenalin could certainly be a thing and after they had their final attack he passed out from overexerting himself coupled with 02's strain on him.

I mean we haven't seen the aftermath yet on how they leave the FranXX this time, he could still pass out.
Feb 3, 2018 1:37 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
HIRO YOU MADMAN! He showed his ressolve and finally gets to do what he wanted all along. Good on him.

Zero Two too glorious, these two are indeed a perfect fit.
Feb 3, 2018 1:44 PM

Dec 2017
Fappa said:
uninstallthegame said:

Well adrenalin could certainly be a thing and after they had their final attack he passed out from overexerting himself coupled with 02's strain on him.

I mean we haven't seen the aftermath yet on how they leave the FranXX this time, he could still pass out.

i don't wanna doubt any possibilities just yet, since it's too early and lot of things are unclear, but it seems really unlikable to forget everything you've done before passing out.

Strelitzia looked like it was being piloted by 002, rather than both of them
uninstallthegameFeb 3, 2018 1:49 PM
Feb 3, 2018 1:45 PM

Mar 2013

I saw this in other fórum. I laughed so hard.
Feb 3, 2018 2:00 PM

Nov 2007
I have to say this episode was very good. A remarkable upgrade from the first three episodes (especially the first two). I guess I will stick with the anime for now. I said I will give it 5-6 episodes but this episode did the trick.

Also, they mentioned the NINES from the opening. So, it looks like the NINES are just the advanced version of this group of kids who are already fighting on the front lines.

I still have this feeling that some sort of revolt will take place from this group of ten kids and they will eventually fight the NINES and on the broader sense against these PAPA people.

Side note: In the credits scene it was confirmed that the animation production was handled by TRIGGER in this episode compared to the first three episodes which were handled by A-1 Pictures. And we could clearly see the TRIGGER signature all over it.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 3, 2018 2:03 PM

Dec 2016
I am a little surprised that a lot of parasites want to team up with Zero Two even though they know what happened to her previous partners.

I guess that her combat abilities are the reason they want to be her partner even though they know what might happen to them.

I hope Mitsuru learned his lesson.

Why am I not surprised that she joined him in the bath.

Nice speech there by Hiro, I knew Zero Two wasn't going to cooperate with those soldiers, she was waiting for that moment so she could rebel.

Hiro actually said I feel myself going deeper inside you lol.

Strelizia was the star but they all finally worked as a team out there and that is what made the difference in the end.

Hopefully Papa allows those 2 to pilot from now on.
Feb 3, 2018 2:05 PM

Dec 2010
This is by far the best episode, Zero Two best character, she is the star of the show.

5/5, very fun.
Feb 3, 2018 2:06 PM

Nov 2014
Because 02 is overpowered I think papa wants to keep her in check by supplying her with a constant stream of new partners so that she's effectively reliant on them, if Hiro becomes a permanent partner then it will become much harder to control her. This was a really great episode and I want to know the origin of the Klaxosaurs especially since there are always shenanigans going on in these types of shows.
For a show without any sex there is a ridiculous amount of sex going on.
Forum Signature
Feb 3, 2018 2:14 PM

Dec 2009
Finally Hiro rides again. Much more confidence coming from him when with Zero Two. They really do make an amazing pair.

This episode was hype. Trigger never fails to disappoint.
Feb 3, 2018 2:15 PM

Sep 2015
DARLING in the FRANXX Episode 4 finally gave life to Hiro's character. The result was a pretty awesome fight showing the strong bond of Lala 2.0 and Hiro. If the momentum keeps up, this will FINALLY be a greatly entertaining Trigger anime! Very excited for next week's episode now!
Feb 3, 2018 2:15 PM
May 2017
I hope that the parasites start a Rebellion and fight against the higher ups who have a secret goal in mind which will be revealed in later episodes.
Feb 3, 2018 2:17 PM

Mar 2011
This was clearly a massive improvement compared to the two previous episodes.
Feb 3, 2018 2:22 PM
Mar 2017
_juno said:

I saw this in other fórum. I laughed so hard.

Premium sponsorship in action :P
Feb 3, 2018 2:25 PM

Jan 2016
Awesome! It was obvious that something was gonna happen in this episode or the next. Glad it was this

Hiro's speach was cheesy but tbh that made the scene all the more enjoyable, 02 reaction was priceless. The monsters and their blue blood are so beautiful for some reason.
Feb 3, 2018 2:31 PM
May 2015
So ugh, I guess team "Hiro is a cuck" is gone now LMAO
Feb 3, 2018 2:44 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
An incredibly satisfying episode. We finally got a breakthrough with Hiro and Zero Two. Hiro finally manned up and took charge, it feels like a weight has been lifted.

Now that Hiro and Zero Two will be together, I'd like them to delve into the science behind the Franxx, explain what the Klaxxosaurs are, and just more world building in general. We've been restricted to a very small part of the world so far; but that's okay considering this is 24 episodes.

I do still feel for Ichigo though.
Feb 3, 2018 2:50 PM
✿。

Apr 2012
Amazing episode! It was nice seeing Hiro finally piloting the Strelizia with 02 again!!
Wonder how will Papa react to this tho, hope he won't stop them.

+

02 smile was just cute!

:: Sʏᴍᴘʜᴏɴɪᴀ

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On jupiter and mars

☆ ★ ☆ ★
Feb 3, 2018 3:01 PM
Apr 2016
Lol I just find it funny how Hiro is exactly similar to Nakajima Atsushi from bungo stray dogs(they even have the same voice actor)
Feb 3, 2018 3:09 PM

Nov 2016
This episode Made me Fall in love with the show. It Showed how Darling In the FranXX can leave the drama aside and do some badass mech fights. I fell like the show will still have drama but not as much as episodes 2 and 3. Hopefully the Show keeps having nice action like now. Hiro finaly got to Pilot Strelizia with Zero Two. It seems like he could also have Klaxosaurus blood and that is the reason he is the only one who can ride with her or there is something special in hem that lets him do so. I hope they explain it and it seems that it will be important to the plot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 3, 2018 3:12 PM

Feb 2016
uninstallthegame said:
Farabeuf said:

I'm surprised that Strelizia works the same way as the others. I kinda assumed that 02 rides her guy, and not the other way around. She's the one in charge always.

Probably there is a secret super uber ultimate transformation mode of pilots and cockpit, but they might reveal later when any desperate time occurs, until then enjoy the sightseeing. I mean, what happened to all those blood-soaked co-pilots; how Zero Two drain their life force?

SilentNox said:
Their base access system is just useless as allways, why they not cleared 002 access levels before convoy her to the exit? Why mech is transported in a completely active mode? Even if 002 has superhuman capabilities, Hiro does not, yet they managed to sneak past all guards and hjack Sterlizia. This is what bother me the most in all episode, everything else is fine.

Maybe papa or executives planned that way, expecting such similar progress of events.
Feb 3, 2018 3:12 PM

Mar 2010
BlueBalls said:
Why is 02 so ridiculously hot?

Because 02 = 0に = Oni, and oni girls are universally amazingly hot by default. ;)

BlackFIFA19 said:
fiscchri said:

I don't think so, since it is pretty much well established by now that unlike the others, he has no trouble piloting Strelizia, Mitsuru almost died after trying to pilot it one time, but Hiro already did it twice without a scratch, so I really don't see any way how he could die

Yes, after 2 times he didnt have a scratch but thats not what im talking about, im talking about this

if what Hiro himself said is true then it still takes a toll on him just slower then others

Might just be his acceptance of the potential life-threatening danger embodied by ZeroTwo (both the "pilot killer curse" thing and that she's his ticket to blood and glory on the battlefield against the mighty Norelco hoard, I mean kyouryu. <,<)

Might just be musings from an unexperienced naive boy who understands he may be unexperienced and naive who is trying to deal with a woman who knows what she wants, who she wants it from (him), and who will shoot people to get.

He might just be looking forward to it. <,<

Fappa said:

I like you. You have usable brain cells. :D

Been stuck in my head since I watched this episode and I haven't heard it in close to a decade @_@:
Third Eye Blind - Deep Inside of You

Pics from Aquarion in support of my previous statement:
deadman80Feb 3, 2018 3:29 PM
Feb 3, 2018 3:14 PM

Aug 2013
"I feel myself deeper inside of you!"

Yep, confirmed, this series can't be taken seriously at all. Man these dialogue sequences make the plot just look like a joke...or wait...that's right it is a joke. Please continue entertaining me. At least the MC does something.
DedPandaFeb 3, 2018 3:23 PM
Don't believe the hype.
Feb 3, 2018 3:25 PM
Oct 2017
I knew they would never fail us
Feb 3, 2018 3:29 PM

Dec 2015
Fappa said:
Hibikase said:
everything else from the bland, unlikeable side characters to the unstable foundation on which the story and world is being set make me hesitant for fully trusting that the series can deliver on its potential. We still have no idea what the story is going to be about or what it is trying to say, and even less about what type of tone it is trying to establish. The narrative is a contrived mess in every sense of the word, and instead of taking time to set up intrigue, it goes stumbling forward thinking that the basic premise (teenagers piloting robots against monsters in a post-apocalyptic world) will keep a watcher immersed and interested.

Really? I got a lot out of these past 4 episodes, enough for me to rake my own brain instead of the show itself throwing tons of exposition this early on into my face.

Side-characters are a given as the main pair has to be established first in a way that they can perfectly co-exist next to each other without officials trying to separate them. We already know from the staff that side-character specific episodes are coming so there's that. Just gotta give it time.

About the story direction, don't know what to tell you. They pretty much told you twice "Will you run away with me?". What could that mean in a seemingly hierarchical society in which young people seem to have been reaped of any sense of personal intimacy and are deemed a failure if they can't live up to numbers which basically means for them to be "as good as dead"?

It's clear as day that shady stuff is going on in these places called "plantations" where apparently the general population if it even exists lives without any tracel of sunlight but these pilots do. This society is rotten to the core and 02 is aware of it resulting in her fleeing with Hiro and possibly the others ( maybe with Franxx's help? ). And this is only scratching the surface of what you could read from it so far.

I don't know where you were but all of its world building and background so far is very much built upon hints that evoke intrigue, if you notice them and connect the dots that is. Heck, the very first episode drives in the point that this won't hold up this facade of "teenagers fighting in robots against monsters" for too long.

About the narrative, seems quite clear to me. So far the narrative focuses on establishing the bond and officially acknowledged bond between Hiro & 02 which we know will succeed ( You see them in graduation outfits at the start of episode 1 under the cherry blossom trees ). Now that the main duo has overcome its doubts about each other and proven its worth which will lead to official acknowledgement the show has an in-worldly reason to let the characters all bounce off each other and move on to the actual plot.
Alright. So firstly, hats off to you for catching and picking apart of these nuances and details within the four episodes that were provided thus far. I guess some of the scenes that you pointed out passed too quickly or were too subtle for me to draw out any meaning or significance, and I suppose that is just my fault for not paying enough attention. To preface, I feel like each person is looking for different things in the anime they consume. which will impact their overall enjoyment of a show. No one can look at a show from a pure objective point of view, and that is perfectly okay. So everything I say here on out is just my personal observations.

To begin with, I don't deny that the side-characters have potential of developing in future episodes, but what is presented so far isn't giving me much of a feel for how they can develop other than in a very predictable manner. For example, it's gonna be pretty obvious the Hiro is going to get past his confidence issues, Zero Two is gonna become less selfish, Zorome is gonna stop being a twat and actually respect Hiro and others, and Ichigo is going to get past her feelings for Hiro to focus on the the greater good of the group and become a better leader. However, predictability is not really the main issue here. The main issue is that from the few episodes that we have seen, we have little reason to empathize or care about these characters in any way. We know little about their backstory, and how they came to be the way they are now, and we may never be able to other than maybe Hiro and Mitsuru. This could also be pardoned if the characters were inherently charming or quirky in a subtle way, but to me at least, these character just feel like pretty generic cardboard cutouts and are even sometimes annoying in how faithfully they abide to their assigned tropes (this doesn't even explicitly serve as a plot device either, like in Kiznaiver). It also doesn't help that the most of the character designs (something that I look for most in anime) are disappointingly generic, the biggest offense being Hiro's design. The only exception from all of this would probably be Zero Two, but her character is a wild card at the moment.

What I meant by when said I didn't see what this anime is about does not stem from the fact that I don't see where the plot is going exactly, or what themes are going to be explored. My main issue with this show is that I don't see how all the elements that the show presents to us fits with its overall narrative (or the little that we see so far), and what direction the show could take in the future to compensate for this lack of cohesiveness. The tone and general mood of any show is one of the main baseline things that I expect to get right or establish early on. However, FranXX's tone is often incomprehensible. The show seems to take itself quite seriously from the first episode by opening up with some pretty 2deep4u monologues about the birds, but then shifts back and forth between high-stakes character drama moments (like with Hiro and Naomi), and pointless fan-service and awkward attempts at humor. The overall aesthetic of the show doesn't really convey much to me either. I'll admit that the visuals and fight animation are very nice to look at, but a lot of things seem to clash. For example, the post-apocalyptic, desert-like design of the world void of a larger scale society inhabiting it (other than the "plantations") does not pair well thematically with the show's commentary on the child parasites and their repression of sexuality. It also confused me on why the way the parasite pilot the FranXX is so overtly sexual, if the purpose of the society obviously opposes physical intimacy. The visuals often contradict each other as well, as seen in the whacky, colorful designs of the mechs that clash heavily with the vanilla setting/backdrop. Certain design choices in the show make me question whether this show is trying to go for a more mature tone in its story with lots of deep, thematic meaning, or just want to go all-out and be fun/zany (like many of Trigger's other productions). This conflict is proving to be difficult for me to accept, and that also influences my perception of where this show is going to go with this blender of random ideas and themes. There are a lot of things that could be still explored, but right now, the show hasn't done (imo) a good job of relaying these things to us, or making us care much for the characters. You can justify everything I just said by saying that the show still has a lot to go (as it is a 2-cour series), but I believe a great anime should get its watchers on board from the very beginning.
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Feb 3, 2018 3:33 PM

Sep 2011
Fappa said:
moodie said:

Funny enough this is the first episode handled by Trigger.

I mean from what he said his problem was with the writing and the direction that show decided to take, the production being at Trigger now does not change that, merely visually so that won't work as an explanation I guess.

MistLiigh said:

Thanks for the clarification! I had heard it said (as a general statement about the show, not just this episode) that it was basically animated by Trigger and written by A-1, but that was just some podcasters who have been wrong before, so that info is probably not the most reliable... I may have to see if I can track down anything written in English (or at least translatable by the browser) confirming or denying such statements....

There is this very easy to find Sakugabooru blog post that clearly states how this is a A-1 production featuring Trigger. So far Trigger's involvement has been storyboards by Imaishi + some guest appearances for the first 3 episodes. This episode for the first time they took the most weight of the production, that does not mean leading positions are different though. Not to undermine their role at all it's still a collaboration after all. But in the end it's still Nishigori's baby.

But a far more healthy look at this is not one of "Is it A-1 or is it Trigger?" but to simply see it as a reunion of Ex-Gainax staff to once again work together on something.

Thank you for linking me to this excellent information. I got lost when they started really getting into the nitty-gritty and who's-who, but I still feel like I was able to get a much better idea of the dynamic of this collaboration, and I think I can look at it from a better frame of mind now.

And yes, my problems early on were really with the writing. It didn't really do anything that caught my interest until around the middle of episode 2 when they started beating us over the head with the metaphor (I say that in the most loving of ways), and even after that it wasn't really doing anything that wowed me on the literal interpretation until this episode. And part of that may just have been expectations based on this having Trigger's name on it, which I think we've implicitly covered here.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Feb 3, 2018 3:56 PM

Mar 2011
He finally did it

I guess 02 has been waiting for this kind of development....Good thing 016 didn't back out this time

Feb 3, 2018 3:57 PM

Apr 2013
full ver (almost)

short ver

short ver v2

(this stitch i did on a whim so it's not perfect)

Feb 3, 2018 3:58 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
So the rulers only see Zero two as a tool then. Mitsuru sure suffered a fair amount of mental damage though. Looks like the defeat last time also fired up Ichigo's determination to be a good leader. But Hiro's speech to Zero two was really something. Glad to see that awakened his skills though. Feelings and trust are two sides of the same coin after all. The fight this time was pretty impressive and its nice to see the squad finally fight like a team and trust each other. Its nice seeing Hiro finally taking flight.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 3, 2018 4:12 PM

Aug 2013
ItzToxic said:
Perfect ep. I guess you can say he went from....Zero Two Hiro

Ba dum tsssss.

Yes I know where the door is.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Loved the dancing through the halls and that Hiro finally manned up. Kinda hope he doesn't end up dead at then end of the series though.
Feb 3, 2018 4:28 PM

Dec 2016
FUCK ZERO TWO IS HOT

I'm still literally only watching this for Zero Two. There hasn't been a best girl like this in a loooooong time.

What's the difference?
Feb 3, 2018 4:31 PM

May 2015
Oh boy, Hiro, you sure went "deep" in 02, lmao.

Great episode, though.

Feb 3, 2018 4:32 PM

Apr 2014
Hibikase said:
Fappa said:

Really? I got a lot out of these past 4 episodes, enough for me to rake my own brain instead of the show itself throwing tons of exposition this early on into my face.

Side-characters are a given as the main pair has to be established first in a way that they can perfectly co-exist next to each other without officials trying to separate them. We already know from the staff that side-character specific episodes are coming so there's that. Just gotta give it time.

About the story direction, don't know what to tell you. They pretty much told you twice "Will you run away with me?". What could that mean in a seemingly hierarchical society in which young people seem to have been reaped of any sense of personal intimacy and are deemed a failure if they can't live up to numbers which basically means for them to be "as good as dead"?

It's clear as day that shady stuff is going on in these places called "plantations" where apparently the general population if it even exists lives without any tracel of sunlight but these pilots do. This society is rotten to the core and 02 is aware of it resulting in her fleeing with Hiro and possibly the others ( maybe with Franxx's help? ). And this is only scratching the surface of what you could read from it so far.

I don't know where you were but all of its world building and background so far is very much built upon hints that evoke intrigue, if you notice them and connect the dots that is. Heck, the very first episode drives in the point that this won't hold up this facade of "teenagers fighting in robots against monsters" for too long.

About the narrative, seems quite clear to me. So far the narrative focuses on establishing the bond and officially acknowledged bond between Hiro & 02 which we know will succeed ( You see them in graduation outfits at the start of episode 1 under the cherry blossom trees ). Now that the main duo has overcome its doubts about each other and proven its worth which will lead to official acknowledgement the show has an in-worldly reason to let the characters all bounce off each other and move on to the actual plot.
Alright. So firstly, hats off to you for catching and picking apart of these nuances and details within the four episodes that were provided thus far. I guess some of the scenes that you pointed out passed too quickly or were too subtle for me to draw out any meaning or significance, and I suppose that is just my fault for not paying enough attention. To preface, I feel like each person is looking for different things in the anime they consume. which will impact their overall enjoyment of a show. No one can look at a show from a pure objective point of view, and that is perfectly okay. So everything I say here on out is just my personal observations.

To begin with, I don't deny that the side-characters have potential of developing in future episodes, but what is presented so far isn't giving me much of a feel for how they can develop other than in a very predictable manner. For example, it's gonna be pretty obvious the Hiro is going to get past his confidence issues, Zero Two is gonna become less selfish, Zorome is gonna stop being a twat and actually respect Hiro and others, and Ichigo is going to get past her feelings for Hiro to focus on the the greater good of the group and become a better leader. However, predictability is not really the main issue here. The main issue is that from the few episodes that we have seen, we have little reason to empathize or care about these characters in any way. We know little about their backstory, and how they came to be the way they are now, and we may never be able to other than maybe Hiro and Mitsuru. This could also be pardoned if the characters were inherently charming or quirky in a subtle way, but to me at least, these character just feel like pretty generic cardboard cutouts and are even sometimes annoying in how faithfully they abide to their assigned tropes (this doesn't even explicitly serve as a plot device either, like in Kiznaiver). It also doesn't help that the most of the character designs (something that I look for most in anime) are disappointingly generic, the biggest offense being Hiro's design. The only exception from all of this would probably be Zero Two, but her character is a wild card at the moment.

What I meant by when said I didn't see what this anime is about does not stem from the fact that I don't see where the plot is going exactly, or what themes are going to be explored. My main issue with this show is that I don't see how all the elements that the show presents to us fits with its overall narrative (or the little that we see so far), and what direction the show could take in the future to compensate for this lack of cohesiveness. The tone and general mood of any show is one of the main baseline things that I expect to get right or establish early on. However, FranXX's tone is often incomprehensible. The show seems to take itself quite seriously from the first episode by opening up with some pretty 2deep4u monologues about the birds, but then shifts back and forth between high-stakes character drama moments (like with Hiro and Naomi), and pointless fan-service and awkward attempts at humor. The overall aesthetic of the show doesn't really convey much to me either. I'll admit that the visuals and fight animation are very nice to look at, but a lot of things seem to clash. For example, the post-apocalyptic, desert-like design of the world void of a larger scale society inhabiting it (other than the "plantations") does not pair well thematically with the show's commentary on the child parasites and their repression of sexuality. It also confused me on why the way the parasite pilot the FranXX is so overtly sexual, if the purpose of the society obviously opposes physical intimacy. The visuals often contradict each other as well, as seen in the whacky, colorful designs of the mechs that clash heavily with the vanilla setting/backdrop. Certain design choices in the show make me question whether this show is trying to go for a more mature tone in its story with lots of deep, thematic meaning, or just want to go all-out and be fun/zany (like many of Trigger's other productions). This conflict is proving to be difficult for me to accept, and that also influences my perception of where this show is going to go with this blender of random ideas and themes. There are a lot of things that could be still explored, but right now, the show hasn't done (imo) a good job of relaying these things to us, or making us care much for the characters. You can justify everything I just said by saying that the show still has a lot to go (as it is a 2-cour series), but I believe a great anime should get its watchers on board from the very beginning.

You explained my feelings on the show so far better than I could. Bravo
Feb 3, 2018 4:38 PM

Feb 2013
Gotta love the enemy that looks like a giant beard cutter and how everyone screwed up again and had to be saved by 02 again. Bit of drama here and there but wasn't too bad. Looking forward to more episodes I guess
Feb 3, 2018 4:44 PM
Jul 2017
Kaiser_Senpai said:
So is Hiro still a pussy? I mean he went against "papa" who is the ruler of that shit I guess.. He still has some problems but u can´t call him things like that after this one.
Best episode so far IMO and that Zero Two face in the end was priceless.
a pussy? he was the first one to disrespect an order from a superior, just to get along with 02 and pilot togheter, i wouldn't call him a pussy
Feb 3, 2018 4:50 PM

Jan 2015
this show is BAD so far. like really bad
Feb 3, 2018 4:51 PM
Feb 2014
Hahahahaha! I'm laughing at all those people who thought episode 2 and 3 were bad cos they thought Hiro was a cuck or whatever and now think otherwise. Some even think this was an improvement. Like, Hiro's still the same freaking character from before, how's that an improvement?? It was just in this episode that it became natural for him to make his move.

Now how satisfied would we have been if Hiro had been a stubborn little whiny brat in the last episode? Much less right now, I say. It was because he wasn't a stubborn brat in the last episode that we got all the initial tension and then the satisfying release when he spoke up!

People were (and still are), imo, being unfairly critical of this anime because it doesn't conform to their idea of what a good anime should be. Yep, there are legitimate flaws with it, like with any other anime, but honestly, some people had uncalled for expectations at the start.

It's weird even that some people say the last 10 minutes were so good and the first 10 was boring. Like, is the only good thing about anime just the action scenes? Really? Is that it? Do people not see how those first 10 minutes built up the tension? Instilled in us the idea of how dangerous 02 is to pilot with, and how Hiro was conflicted. How Ichigo resolved herself to being a better leader. How Mitsuru was genuinely terrified of 02 and the awkwardness that his partner was trying to dissipate. Are anime viewers so shallow now that immediate gratification is all they sought for? And people complain that anime these days are so generic. Of course they would be if the only thing that satisfies fans is exploding creatures and beautiful animation.

Okay, just needed to rant for a bit there...

Anyways, guess the introductory phase is over. I'm super excited to see what's gonna happen next. The only thing I'm a bit dissatisfied with so far is how under-equipped Plantation 13 is... Why is it the only effective defense it has against Klaxosaurs are a bunch of inexperienced teenagers in FRANXX's... If Strelizia wasn't there, the whole damn place would be burned to hell... Also, I hope this habit of using Klaxosaurs to move the plot forward isn't gonna stick, cos this is the third time they've pulled this stunt and it's getting a wee bit repetitive though still acceptable so far...

Despite being super behind Violet Evergarden in the rankings, I'm really hoping this anime becomes AotS. Seriously, others obviously don't see it this way, but I've not looked forward to a currently anime airing every week so much since No Game No Life, and I really really loved NGNL, and I see so much potential with this. On the other hand, if they screw up that potential, this might be my most hated Anime of the season, cos nothing pisses me off more than wasted potential (*coughcough* Suicide Squad *cough*). But I'm optimistic still.
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Feb 3, 2018 5:12 PM
Jan 2016
5/5 fuck off but its getting better do a purely average anime to a decent anime, i rate this okay 2.5/5, more interested in the development after this episode as the actual show will properly start without all the set up.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

345 by Modek69 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2018

1502 by imsevlol »»
Oct 4, 6:47 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 5, 2018

367 by cloudalpha »»
Sep 30, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2018

647 by cloudalpha »»
Sep 30, 8:20 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

363 by 143eitasasaki »»
Sep 21, 10:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.