Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 22, 2022 11:03 AM

Mar 2017
So... episode 4 just aired and I got through 1/3 of the season, just so I can have a good basis to make this thread (I could argue that in these types of shows 1 or 2 is enough because the formulae doesn't change that much throughout) in search for some insight.

I am a firm believer that you can't compare shows which serve different purposes or have a very different genre: like saying SPYxFAMILY is way better than Kaguya-sama, or vice-versa, when they have completly different purpose/orientation and objectives to begin with - so, not that comparable OVERALL (you can compare animation or openings, for example).

But even in its own genre and with direct "competition", this show is probably the most unfunny, boring and uninteresting in recent times... Plus, I don't consider myself hard to crack, shows like Takagi-san or Komi-san - far from pure comedy shows like Nichijou and Saiki - make me laugh. HELL, even Uzaki-chan (which is not that great of a show itself) captured me more!

I have been wrong about shows because I missed or misunderstood somethings or the entire vibe of one show. Was this one of those cases?! Does at any point make a big improvement / is it worth power through?!

What do you thought about it, so far?!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 22, 2022 11:05 AM

Apr 2016
If you overthink the way to your girlfriend's clitors the same way you overthink anime watching .. Oh God, poor you.
Apr 22, 2022 11:09 AM
Feb 2019
It may not be the type of comedy for you, since it made me laugh a few times. The two characters are pretty fun to watch cos they both seem so quiet and emotionless but their actions and thought process are far from it which leads them to do extremely ridiculous things.

I like it cos it ain't the same obnoxious facial expressions or stupidly loud reactions from them. Its a dry straightforward type of humor that anime doesn't seem to have in general. So I much appreciated it. This is more my type of humor.
Apr 22, 2022 11:11 AM
Jan 2021
It got good the first episode. It’s just your average Comedy/SoL, so anything in that category I most likely will love it. Depends if it’s for you or not. If you’re not really enjoying it by this point you can drop it
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Apr 22, 2022 11:17 AM
Jul 2020
It surpassed my expectations (i had pretty low expectations). I mean it's soL and 1 ep comes per week and it's entertaining for me to watch so I don't have any problem.
Toxic fans:- using the anime list of the user to criticize his opinions on a different anime.

If you cannot tolerate others taste delete your mal account☮️.
Apr 22, 2022 11:19 AM

Mar 2017
Swagernator said:
If you overthink the way to your girlfriend's clitors the same way you overthink anime watching .. Oh God, poor you.
Good one dude... maybe you right tho. But had to get it out of my chest.
Apr 22, 2022 11:22 AM

Mar 2017
filimaua13 said:
It may not be the type of comedy for you, since it made me laugh a few times. The two characters are pretty fun to watch cos they both seem so quiet and emotionless but their actions and thought process are far from it which leads them to do extremely ridiculous things.

I like it cos it ain't the same obnoxious facial expressions or stupidly loud reactions from them. Its a dry straightforward type of humor that anime doesn't seem to have in general. So I much appreciated it. This is more my type of humor.
Fair game, actually you bring a good point. What really made the situations unfunny for me was the lack of expressions and overall staleness of the scenes. Maybe that's why, since what I've been enjoying most in Komi-san for example is the funny expressions and reactions she has.
Apr 22, 2022 11:28 AM

Mar 2017
official_brown said:
It got good the first episode. It’s just your average Comedy/SoL, so anything in that category I most likely will love it. Depends if it’s for you or not. If you’re not really enjoying it by this point you can drop it
Yeah I mean, as I said I actually enjoy the genre and normally these are the shows that I save for last in the week to have a wholesome fun time, Kaguya and Komi-san being present examples of that. But I don't know it just didn't click...

I did exatly that unfortunatly... did dropped it as of today hence this thread. I tried it because I saw a decent hype on reddit about the manga, but I guess it just wasn't for me.
Apr 22, 2022 11:34 AM

Mar 2017
Deku_kamado said:
It surpassed my expectations (i had pretty low expectations). I mean it's soL and 1 ep comes per week and it's entertaining for me to watch so I don't have any problem.
Yeah, maybe I also dropped it because this season had so many surprise shows that I ended up enjoying and wanting to watch that the weaker RomCom/SoL of the season had to go.. 4 is way to many anyways tho.
Apr 22, 2022 11:36 AM
Jul 2020
ICenturyI said:
Deku_kamado said:
Yeah, maybe I also dropped it because this season had so many surprise shows that I ended up enjoying and wanting to watch that the weaker RomCom/SoL of the season had to go.. 4 is way to many anyways tho.
yea bro anything which works for you.
Toxic fans:- using the anime list of the user to criticize his opinions on a different anime.

If you cannot tolerate others taste delete your mal account☮️.
Apr 22, 2022 11:42 AM

May 2021
That would be starting at episode 1.
Apr 22, 2022 11:49 AM

Jul 2019
It gets good from the first few seconds and is pretty much always good.
Apr 22, 2022 12:03 PM
Jan 2021
ICenturyI said:
official_brown said:
Yeah I mean, as I said I actually enjoy the genre and normally these are the shows that I save for last in the week to have a wholesome fun time, Kaguya and Komi-san being present examples of that. But I don't know it just didn't click...

I did exatly that unfortunatly... did dropped it as of today hence this thread. I tried it because I saw a decent hype on reddit about the manga, but I guess it just wasn't for me.

Nah, that’s cool. I don’t think anybody would judge you, some shows click some don’t, but yeah, I get you on that aspect. Low key I wish there were more college/adult SoL’s cause those are always good
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Apr 22, 2022 12:11 PM

Jul 2011
Not yet quite similar feeling from what got from reading early manga chapters.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Apr 22, 2022 12:22 PM
Ejさま
Jan 2017
I think it met my expectations. For me, I enjoyed Takagi-san cause it was adorable. On the other hand, I dropped Komi pretty fast. (I'm gonna pick it back up though probably since it has a second season) but just watching the exact same process pretty much over and over is what it feels like every episode with these type of anime in general. Like, for example Takagi San has romance and you can tell she likes him and is trying to show him in a way, and that keeps me intrigued. Vs. From what I've seen from Komi, it's just gonna be him trying to get her to talk the whole time and maybe a few funny moments at most; which caused me to drop it in the first place. (If yall want real comedy go watch Gintama) I liked Uzaki-chan cause it really felt like they were getting closer and closer. Plus it was actually funny. So all in all, off of first viewing; Komi-san was garbage, Uzaki-Chan was fire, Takagi-san was pretty good and adorable. So off this list i've made you should be able to tell what I'm about to say. Aharen-san...plot-wise, it's in between Komi-san and Uzaki-chan. Comedy wise, it's on the same level as Komi-san pretty much. So maybe if they added atleast a little romance or more comedy it'd be better, but Aharen-san is easily droppable right now. [Even though I say that, I'm still gonna watch it though]😂
Ej사마
Apr 22, 2022 12:50 PM

Mar 2017
Ej_Otaku_sama said:
I think it met my expectations. For me, I enjoyed Takagi-san cause it was adorable. On the other hand, I dropped Komi pretty fast. (I'm gonna pick it back up though probably since it has a second season) but just watching the exact same process pretty much over and over is what it feels like every episode with these type of anime in general. Like, for example Takagi San has romance and you can tell she likes him and is trying to show him in a way, and that keeps me intrigued. Vs. From what I've seen from Komi, it's just gonna be him trying to get her to talk the whole time and maybe a few funny moments at most; which caused me to drop it in the first place. (If yall want real comedy go watch Gintama) I liked Uzaki-chan cause it really felt like they were getting closer and closer. Plus it was actually funny. So all in all, off of first viewing; Komi-san was garbage, Uzaki-Chan was fire, Takagi-san was pretty good and adorable. So off this list i've made you should be able to tell what I'm about to say. Aharen-san...plot-wise, it's in between Komi-san and Uzaki-chan. Comedy wise, it's on the same level as Komi-san pretty much. So maybe if they added atleast a little romance or more comedy it'd be better, but Aharen-san is easily droppable right now. [Even though I say that, I'm still gonna watch it though]😂
Pretty interesting sorting of shows and take... We can agree in almost everything minus the Komi-san < Uzaki-chan, but hey 9/10 takes agreeing is not a bad ratio!!
Apr 22, 2022 12:50 PM
Jun 2021
I think its humor is much more dry than komi and takagi, and it's far less romantically involved than takagi. I went into this show expecting like a typical c-grade sol, and im happy that it is probably my biggest surprise this season outside of dal 4. but my idea with this shows is if they don't get me in the first ep I probably won't get into it at all
Apr 22, 2022 2:02 PM
Nov 2021
I mean do you want to drop it? You don't have to watch it if you don't want to. Unless you're like me who mostly tries to finish shows that I don't like because I try not to drop stuff.
Apr 22, 2022 2:21 PM
Jul 2018
I think the manga does miles better at expressing the comedy than the show. It’s rushed in the adaptation and played out a lot better in the manga (the show is still good tho, just not to its full potential)
Apr 22, 2022 2:24 PM
Jul 2018
titodacat said:
I think its humor is much more dry than komi and takagi, and it's far less romantically involved than takagi. I went into this show expecting like a typical c-grade sol, and im happy that it is probably my biggest surprise this season outside of dal 4. but my idea with this shows is if they don't get me in the first ep I probably won't get into it at all

Nah the manga is pretty damn hilarious. The anime doesn’t do as good of a job portraying it, but it’s genuinely a lot more funny than both of those shows combined
Apr 22, 2022 2:28 PM
Dec 2018
Well, at least you gave it a try.

Personally, this show is right up my ally. So much so that I started binging the manga after watching episode 1. I'm loving the show and can't wait to see certain parts of the manga animated.

But, I understand that not everyone is going to love it, and I'm not the kind of person who gets upset at people not liking something they like.

You do you. If you are not enjoying the show at this point, then you probably aren't going to ever like it.

The Aharen-san manga has kept the same pace throughout its run so far. There are a lot of repeated gags that get reused in different chapters. Where the manga shines is in the chemistry between its characters and in the growth that they show as they become better friends. But if you are not enjoying the humor now then I doubt you will be enjoying it a few weeks from now when they make the same joke for the umpteenth time, regardless of how dynamic or enjoyable the characters are.
Apr 22, 2022 2:39 PM

Nov 2021
Ej_Otaku_sama said:

Ehh I wouldn't say komi-san is trash but wouldn't say it's great either
I mainly watch if for two things :
First being komi-san (in my favs btw XD)
and second being the interaction b/w tadano and komi which is pretty cute and wholesome.

Other than that everything in the show is cringe tbh
Apr 22, 2022 2:48 PM
Jun 2021
Mr_Spam said:
titodacat said:

Nah the manga is pretty damn hilarious. The anime doesn’t do as good of a job portraying it, but it’s genuinely a lot more funny than both of those shows combined
I mean ill take your word for it, but the humor in the show is dry humor. I think comparing takagi san's humor to this and komi san is unfair cause takagi san is romance at the end of the day where as this and komi are not, but as I didn't like komi san I agree this is much better.
Apr 22, 2022 2:56 PM

Mar 2017
Kasutoro-Kun said:
I mean do you want to drop it? You don't have to watch it if you don't want to. Unless you're like me who mostly tries to finish shows that I don't like because I try not to drop stuff.
I already did unfortunatly... I normally don't drop series and so I made a thread to see if I missed something or what people think.
Apr 22, 2022 3:00 PM

Mar 2017
bitwright said:
Well, at least you gave it a try.

Personally, this show is right up my ally. So much so that I started binging the manga after watching episode 1. I'm loving the show and can't wait to see certain parts of the manga animated.

But, I understand that not everyone is going to love it, and I'm not the kind of person who gets upset at people not liking something they like.

You do you. If you are not enjoying the show at this point, then you probably aren't going to ever like it.

The Aharen-san manga has kept the same pace throughout its run so far. There are a lot of repeated gags that get reused in different chapters. Where the manga shines is in the chemistry between its characters and in the growth that they show as they become better friends. But if you are not enjoying the humor now then I doubt you will be enjoying it a few weeks from now when they make the same joke for the umpteenth time, regardless of how dynamic or enjoyable the characters are.
Thanks for the input, I decided unfortunetly to drop it since I have already a lot of shows with the same genre and overall, but who knows some day I might give the manga a go!
Apr 22, 2022 3:04 PM
Jan 2021
it gets good 4 minutes into episode 1 🥱
TATAKAE!! TATAKAE!!
Apr 22, 2022 3:22 PM
Jul 2020
It’s been good. If you don’t like it stop watching. Or do you want everybody to clap and applaud that you’re not into it?

We’re all paying attention to you. Is that what you want?
Apr 22, 2022 3:25 PM
Apr 2022
Swagernator said:

😂😂😂 love your response, holy!
Apr 22, 2022 4:08 PM

Mar 2017
tobythesandwich said:
It’s been good. If you don’t like it stop watching. Or do you want everybody to clap and applaud that you’re not into it?

We’re all paying attention to you. Is that what you want?
Well you did go out of your way to comment here so, kinda coming out as projecting. I could be wrong but from your comment not that big of a reach.

Anyway, if you know how to read you might notice that I made this thread because I sometimes miss the whole point of a show or misunderstand it and end up not watching it / dropping it. As I decided to drop this anime I though why not see what people are thinking 1/3 of the way.

Now, if you want to drop the cool and teenager "who cares" act and formulate a comment on what you though of the show, like every person here... let's here it.
Apr 22, 2022 4:19 PM

Sep 2020
ICenturyI said:

I have been wrong about shows because I missed or misunderstood somethings or the entire vibe of one show. Was this one of those cases?! Does at any point make a big improvement / is it worth power through?!

I don't know how anyone can misunderstand the entire vibe of a simple slice-of-life anime. There's no "big improvement". If you don't find it funny or worth watching now, then there's no reason to stick with it. Any anime that isn't doing it for you, isn't doing it for you simple as. At least the show is rated correctly unlike a specific anime airing this season that will remain nameless.

𝒮𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈, 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒸𝒶𝓃'𝓉 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓌𝒶𝓇𝒹 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝒸𝓁𝑜𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝑜𝑜𝓇 𝒷𝑒𝒽𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊. - 𝑅𝑒𝒾 𝒦𝒾𝓇𝒾𝓎𝒶𝓂𝒶

Apr 22, 2022 4:33 PM

Nov 2017
Swagernator said:
This!
has got to be one of the top five responses of the year!
Apr 22, 2022 4:47 PM

Mar 2017
samsince04 said:
ICenturyI said:

I don't know how anyone can misunderstand the entire vibe of a simple slice-of-life anime. There's no "big improvement". If you don't find it funny or worth watching now, then there's no reason to stick with it. Any anime that isn't doing it for you, isn't doing it for you simple as. At least the show is rated correctly unlike a specific anime airing this season that will remain nameless.
I asked if I did, exactly because I don't think I missed anything. The show, for me, just wasn't funny hence I dropped it. But there are a lot of cases where the arguments like "Demon Slayer was not that good because the plot isn't deep" appear, where the person completly missed the point and objective of the show.

Just making sure I am not making a mistake saying there was not really more to it just didn't find it funny. And seeing what people thought so far of it!
Apr 22, 2022 5:02 PM
Jan 2021
on episode 1... imo
Apr 22, 2022 5:26 PM

Jul 2019
It's an slice of life anime lmao it's funny, don't expect a new Gintama or smsh
y'all should watch haibane renmei
Apr 22, 2022 5:27 PM

Jan 2020
Episode 1 wasn't the greatest, but for me, it picked up from there. It's just so cute, chill and wholesome. I like seeing Raidou and Aharen interact. It's not the funniest thing I've seen, but it definitely does have its moments for me.
Apr 22, 2022 7:46 PM
Nov 2021
ICenturyI said:
filimaua13 said:

Fair game, actually you bring a good point. What really made the situations unfunny for me was the lack of expressions and overall staleness of the scenes. Maybe that's why, since what I've been enjoying most in Komi-san for example is the funny expressions and reactions she has.

For me I find it funny because of the contrast between the ridiculousness of the situation and actions the characters make compared to how little their expressions change.
Apr 22, 2022 8:20 PM

May 2021
The comparison is WRONG but the vibe is right.Although,the show isnt supposed to be humorous or "Romantic",its supposed to provide a healing effect on the mind.The iyashikei element which would have otherwise,overshadowed any other sub-genre,is now becoming the cause for the show's repetitions and bland confabulations,Far below than what i expected...
Apr 22, 2022 8:30 PM

Jul 2021
It gets good at episode 1
Apr 22, 2022 9:11 PM
Sep 2021
Swagernator said:

this comment made my day thank you
Apr 22, 2022 9:18 PM
Oct 2021
It gets good when they start battle rapping. Also the weird dance.
Apr 22, 2022 9:49 PM

Jul 2014
When you stop watching something you are not enjoying.
Apr 22, 2022 9:56 PM
Sep 2021
It’s not bad nor good, but rather average. I read like half the manga and I’m really not invested tbh. After all, this is an anime about 2 socially awkward people.
Apr 22, 2022 9:58 PM
May 2021
Never lmfao, drop it you really shouldn't watch mid
Apr 22, 2022 10:18 PM

May 2021
This anime is exactly what i expected it to be from the very beginning .

"We are all like fireworks: we climb, we shine and always go our separate ways and become further apart. But even when that time comes, let's not disappear like a firework and continue to shine.. forever ."
Apr 22, 2022 10:43 PM
Mar 2019
It's already good enough. In fact, it was good on the first minute from the first episode.

Apr 23, 2022 5:56 AM
Jul 2018
titodacat said:
Mr_Spam said:

I mean ill take your word for it, but the humor in the show is dry humor. I think comparing takagi san's humor to this and komi san is unfair cause takagi san is romance at the end of the day where as this and komi are not, but as I didn't like komi san I agree this is much better.
it hasn’t had its chance yet to show it’s best parts. Considering the way it’s been adapted I doubt it will be great when it gets there. Everything is better later on, humor, characters, plot (believe it or not there is a microscopic plot).
Apr 23, 2022 6:04 AM

Mar 2017
SkyLETV said:
When you stop watching something you are not enjoying.
I started this thread exactly because I dropped the show. But yeah I agree with the comment.
Apr 23, 2022 6:05 AM
Aug 2021
Isn't it good already?
Apr 23, 2022 6:12 AM

Apr 2020
I liked it from first episode. If it's not for you, don't watch it.
Apr 23, 2022 6:34 AM
Jun 2021
Mr_Spam said:
titodacat said:
it hasn’t had its chance yet to show it’s best parts. Considering the way it’s been adapted I doubt it will be great when it gets there. Everything is better later on, humor, characters, plot (believe it or not there is a microscopic plot).
my guy you don't need to sell me on it im already sold on it, every one of these blank-san/chan shows has a plot to some degree.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2022

112 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Today, 8:55 AM

Poll: » Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2022

113 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Oct 7, 3:41 AM

Poll: » Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2022

144 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Oct 5, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2022

139 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Oct 3, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2022

147 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Oct 3, 6:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.