Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 2, 2021 9:58 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally, the eventual water polo battle between Yamanami and Shogakukan. Unsurprisingly Rikka lost against the powerhouse Shogakukan mercilessly, even without Riku. It's time to prove who's high and who's nigh with everyone watching. There's no room for error, concede a goal, and dreams are dashed.

The trouble comes when Momosaki enters the scene in Round 2, and makes things extra difficult for Minato and the rest to concede goals to Shagakugan's side. Momosaki IS A BEAST to give Yamanami the loss in morale (after learning hard lessons), but at least they're not giving up in their teamwork...and losing more spectacularly. IS THIS A JOKE?

Minato is obviously pissed at the piss-poor performance (reverting back to his past personality for a feint), and thank god for their determination to even get a goal past Shogakukan, which they did through their weakest link, Ushimado. That is an remarkable effort of teamwork.

Momosaki, amidst his leg injury, has lasted, and will forever be Shogakukan's ace. Minato has softened quite a lot to his family about the accident, which makes for a last stretch character development. Improve boys, you have aways to go.

Overall, this is quite mediocre, really. Re-Main is more a tension-cooler than an attention-seeker.
KANLen09Oct 2, 2021 11:55 PM
Oct 2, 2021 10:14 AM

Jun 2019
It's finally time to see who's a better team and who's going home with a satisfying victory. As expected, they were not a team that can be handled easily by any chance. When it comes to experience, we only have Minato and no one else on our team is essentially that good. No wonder they were getting outplayed every time.

Momosaki on the other hand showed Minato why he's the ace of Shogakukan. The only positive thing that came out for our boys was that they were determined enough to get a single goal against such tough opponents. Props to you guys. If we get another season, sometime in the future, I want to see Minato and his team crushing their opponents in a one-sided situation. That would be fun.

Overall, it was alright, not the greatest show of this season and not the worst show of the season. Definitely above average. This is goodbye for now.
Oct 2, 2021 11:05 AM
Apr 2021
Very rushed ending.
Oct 2, 2021 11:07 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
So.. thats it? No 2nd cour or season? I'm confused :(
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Oct 2, 2021 11:17 AM

Apr 2018
Well, it's the end. They managed to score one goal against the undefeated Shagakugan. I feel like this anime failed at delivering us a sport feeling, it just felt like your typical drama. But the last 2 episodes managed to save this from despair imo. The ending was pretty satisfying but the first 9 episodes were just a big miss. Anyway, I expected more but I guess sport animes nowadays are not sport animes anymore..

OP/ED were pretty nice, animation and artstyle were pretty average and the characters were all bland except for Minato (a bit) and the speedy swimmer.

5.5/10

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Oct 2, 2021 11:46 AM

Apr 2012
"mom, dont worry about the accident, i already forgot about it"

ba dum tss
Oct 2, 2021 12:12 PM
Aug 2018
The match was quite good.

However, I still think there was no reason for this whole amnesia stuff to exist. Just having Minato waking up after one year of coma would have been enough.
Amnesia only purpose was creating drama. Same as the bet with Chinu or Minato being rude to his family just so that he can seem "nice" in the end.

If they had focused more on sport and less about drama, we could have a better result.

PS : I still give credit to the studio to decide to produce an original anime about waterpolo without using fanservice !
Oct 2, 2021 1:20 PM
Oct 2020
satisfied with the ending! got teared up on that car scene
Oct 2, 2021 1:29 PM
Sep 2019
This ending wasn't too bad, but the season as a whole was really disappointing. Started off strong and piqued a lot of interest, only to miserably fail mid way through and barely struggling to pick itself up by then end. Drama ruined the entire flow of things.
Oct 2, 2021 1:54 PM

Nov 2019
I liked how the ending turned out. How both Jou's family and Minato's family turned whole again! Especially the last car scene which showed that Minto actually had changed.

Although I have to agree with some others here that this episode was felt a tidbit rushed and should probably need some five or ten more minutes to not feel crammed.

Otherwise, overall it put a good end to the season, it had some greater moments and some less great (*hrm* should've skipped the suicide joke *hrm*). Jou's team didn't loose completely nor did they through the power of friendship win it all which some other show sadly would have done. So fairly ok (=
─── ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ───

"No matter how devastated you may be by your own weaknesses or uselessness...
Set your heart ablaze. Grit your teeth and look straight ahead.
Even if you stop and crouch down, the time won't wait for you...
or snuggle you, or grieve along with you."

─── ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ───
Oct 2, 2021 2:05 PM

Nov 2012
I waas expecting something to happen and for Minato to get his other memories back. Glad he didn't.

I wasn't expecting much from Re-Main, so it didn't disappoint me. It served it's purpose.
Oct 2, 2021 2:35 PM

Feb 2020
It was an okay show for me. I think it could have been better but it was entertaining enough to finish it.

Jul 2017
well it was expected they were gonna get smahsed, but at least ushi scoring was pretty wholesome lol. Knew from the start that Minato's dickhead bit was staged.

But overall this definitely was interesting for a sports anime. Like rather than linearly progressing after Minato's amnesia it decided to go for a route where he reverts back to his old self (albeit the way it happened was pretty silly lmao) and had to re-develop from there. ngl having that pseudo-Hanebado situation where MC is a giant dickhead but everyone is ok with is was kinda bleh but oh well, the last 2 eps were pretty enjoyable in their own right. Guess I'm a sucker for these kinds of nakama power situations :P

I also did like the family reconciliation moments, those were pretty nice

How the hell did Yuuto Uemura manage to land yet another monotone edgelord role???/10

Jul 2011
To be honest, was cool for being water polo, but feel that the amnesia part was just put to eat time to make the anime longer.
I imagine if kept the amnesia this ending would be almost the same, but would have time to explore something else.

Was good seeing Jojo ended fixing the communication issue of him with his father.
Oct 2, 2021 2:56 PM
Oct 2019
Fuccyeajoji said:

Same, i cried like a little b*tch.
Oct 2, 2021 2:56 PM
Oct 2019
I want a second season! I have nothing else to say.
Oct 2, 2021 4:10 PM
Aug 2021
Loved this ep, the game was a blast and the story was perfect to end the season I really hope they make a season 2!
Oct 2, 2021 5:00 PM
Apr 2020
As we all expected, Yamanami got their butts kicked almost as hard as the Japanese women's team in the Olympics (against the US, no less). Fortunately, their moment of consolation came in the form of glory that a certain Onda didn't get the chance to bask in.
Romax24245Oct 2, 2021 6:36 PM
Oct 2, 2021 5:14 PM
Sep 2021
Rukodaime91 said:
The match was quite good.

However, I still think there was no reason for this whole amnesia stuff to exist. Just having Minato waking up after one year of coma would have been enough.
Amnesia only purpose was creating drama. Same as the bet with Chinu or Minato being rude to his family just so that he can seem "nice" in the end.

If they had focused more on sport and less about drama, we could have a better result.

PS : I still give credit to the studio to decide to produce an original anime about waterpolo without using fanservice !

Without the amnesia he would probably make it to shogakukan and end up playing in shogakukan again.
Oct 2, 2021 5:31 PM

Jun 2021
Great way to end it.

I think it was a satisfying last episode, with a realistic final match with some great moments. I think all the plot points were covered in this episode to put a good closure on the story.

While the show had few bumps throughout the season, I know it's very difficult to make a satisfying sports anime with only 12 episodes, and I think these guys pulled it off. A hidden gem of the season.
Oct 2, 2021 5:34 PM
Jul 2018
last episode. is literally this episode was very average, but Minato finally managed to smile in question from that ruled side of him.
Oct 2, 2021 6:19 PM

Dec 2020
welp. that ended, it could've gone better but this was already decent. i got really happy even tho they lost 15-1 lmao that last score was really nice

dont think theres a Lot to praise on this anime but i do like how mappa did the swimming animation, and making a swimming show without any fan service, also noy hesitating to put them all in speedos because im pretty sure not a lot of viewers are used to that(me included) but well thats the easiest thing you can wear to move around in a swimming sports game

i do hate the amnesia shit tho, it feels like something out of wattpad. and we could've got a more not-so rushed ending there but eh whatever

p okay show overall, i overall enjoyed it o/
Oct 2, 2021 6:42 PM
Apr 2016
So cliche. They score one point in the end and still end up losing, but they all came out with a better understanding of themselves. The anime started off really well and the ending just ruined it. Its bullsh1t utter bull.
Oct 2, 2021 7:52 PM

Jul 2016
Ushimado, of all the players, scoring the only goal of the team was so Days. God I hated Days.

Also damn, imagine going through all these bizarre events just to learn that teamwork is actually a thing in team sports. Anyways, congrats Minato.

Honestly, I'm so glad this series is finally over. Overall, disappointing as spokon anime and even worse as sports drama. Direction was all over the place with some really nonsensical turns in the narrative, the bonds the club members formed felt shallow and forced in some cases and the whole deal with Chinu's hatred towards MC couldn't have been more dumb. That girl really needs to get a life, by the way.

2/10 - Was expecting another Bakuten!! surprise. Ended up getting another Hanebado!/2.43 disappointment.
Oct 2, 2021 8:19 PM

Dec 2010
Hm.......

I think I misunderstood what this show was going to be about, which is why I got confused and didn't like the middle episodes that focused on the characters' backstories. But now I understand that this show really wasn't about the sport at all, but about Minato "growing up" lol.

It...ended as well as it could, I guess. I give it a generous 6.5-7/10.
Oct 2, 2021 9:57 PM

Oct 2016
Really satisfied with the ending, it mostly resolved all their personal problems, the only thing left is winning. But I think there's still potential for a sequel, if there isn't, then what we got was good enough. 7/10
Oct 2, 2021 11:06 PM

Jan 2021
It's bad

It's rushed

I'm confused with the ending

I'm not so satisfy

But i'll admit it's good
Oct 2, 2021 11:33 PM
Aug 2020
BryanUzumaki said:
Fuccyeajoji said:

BryanUzumaki said:
Fuccyeajoji said:

Same the part where he passed the ball end of the match was just too super good
Oct 2, 2021 11:39 PM

Mar 2008
This.... wasn't that great. I kind of lost interest when he got his memories back and his personality reverted. The little sister was adorable and the dad was a hottie ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) but all of the water polo characters were kind of... forgettable. It was nice when they all celebrated at least getting one point tho.

6/10
Oct 3, 2021 12:19 AM
Apr 2020
Well, that's a quite nice ending. Of course, in their current state, they're not gonna beat Shogakukan. But, at least they scored even once. It's also nice that Minato's attitude is changing, maybe a set up for a 2nd season.

Oct 3, 2021 4:50 AM

Aug 2020
I expected a litte more for the last episode of the 1st season, but at least they made a good goal against Shogakukan. That's a good beginning, but we need to know more.

Esperemos a segunda temporada.

Oct 3, 2021 7:41 AM
May 2018
Huh, the ending is actually solid and satisfying enough. Season 2 would be nice although unlikely.

7/10 throughout but the final 2 episodes made me give it an 8.
Oct 3, 2021 8:30 AM
Oct 2019
DarlingDemon said:
BryanUzumaki said:

BryanUzumaki said:

I didn't expect that! I thought his self centered personality was back, but it was just a fluke to throw the other team off. Minato's character development was decent!
Oct 3, 2021 11:53 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Certainly one of the better episode in the series but I think as a whole has been fairly average, in all honesty.

It was nice to see the team grinding hard and managing to snatch away a goal and that too from none other than Ushi. Minato seriously changed to a devoted team player over the course of the tournament, lol. Amiami beating his brother was good to see.

Sport-wise, I think the show did a fine job. But in the drama aspect, I'm afraid I don't feel the same. In the final few minutes when Minato reassured his mother was a nice touch though but it just felt like a rush overall.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 3, 2021 1:46 PM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
It was a good ending for a first season. Overall i wasnt the biggest fan of it since it seemes to waste the potential it had, but it was enjoyable nonetheless

smoochie smoochie[/center]
Oct 3, 2021 3:57 PM

Mar 2018
Couldn't have thought of a better way to finish the season

good guy minato again hopefully from now on too im glad he fixed things with his mom at the end that shit annoyed me throughout the season tbh

AND YES MY BOY USHI WITH THE GOAL I KNEW AS SOON AS HE THREW THE BALL THERE IT WAS GOING TO HIM

stronger bonded team now so next season is gonna be great (maybe amiamis training regiment is a mini time skip? i want ushi and baba to be as strong as the rest)

cant wait, especially if its gonna be mappa doing it again
Oct 3, 2021 5:46 PM

Oct 2019
USHI SCORING!!! My one wish came true (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ☆
I really hope there's gonna be another season of this, I loved it a lot. 9/10
Oct 3, 2021 6:39 PM
Oct 2021
I really liked this anime. I hope it gets a 2nd season (but it feels unlikely)
I used to be a Waterpolo player, so I am pretty biased on how much I enjoyed the show. Besides the drama and story developments, the representation of Waterpolo including its rules, the learning curve, the experiences you have while playing and growing as a player are all ON POINT.

I am convinced that the creators for this anime really are passionated about the sport. Or at least have make the extra effort to learn about it, get a counselor and invest the time for getting it right. Also, at the end of the story all the matches played out exactly as it would have in a real life situation. I never felt that they were doing something out of the ordinary or shonen like to break expectations.

The only thing that was a bit unrealistic is that the main cast could play a full match with the little training they had without any alternate players. Waterpolo is a very taxing sport and in a regular match there are countless substitutions. But it is fine for an anime setting considering that keeping the balance with 7 characters is already tough for a 12 episode season.

While watching there were so many little details that reminded me of my time playing the sport. If you like Waterpolo and anime (and dont mind the Yaoi undertones), it is a must watch.
Oct 3, 2021 8:49 PM

Jul 2020
What a great way to end the season, all the loose ends have been tied up. Really fun show even if it was a bit dumb at times, but it was just the right amount of dumb. The bond between the players was also really wholesome. Overall I hope this gets a second season 8/10
Oct 3, 2021 9:00 PM
Aug 2020
BryanUzumaki said:
DarlingDemon said:

I didn't expect that! I thought his self centered personality was back, but it was just a fluke to throw the other team off. Minato's character development was decent!
yea true i had a feeling he was acting then but also if this gets a season two, chinu and minato might have something between them
Oct 4, 2021 5:35 AM
Apr 2015
This definitely feels like a multi-season anime. Overall, great storytelling of the final preliminary game. There's a scene during credits that sets the next goal.
Oct 4, 2021 7:40 AM

Jul 2015
Not surprising to see them lose to an absolute powerhouse team but still impressive of Ushi to be the one to score their only goal. 12 Episodes really felt too short. Not much of a sport series in my opinion but the whole amnesia drama was enjoyable to see.

Oct 4, 2021 8:49 PM
Mar 2015
So losing is good so long as you are happy
Oct 5, 2021 10:01 PM

Mar 2009
The show finally started getting interesting when they focused on the matches.

Too bad about that dumb double amnesia. Yeesh.

MC was so lucky to have such a great family, especially his kind and loving sister. Dude took them for granted.
MormegilOct 5, 2021 10:06 PM
Oct 6, 2021 1:29 AM

Dec 2016
So glad that they could at least get one goal against Shogakukan. They were really on equal with Shogakukan in the 1st period, it was amazing!

When Minato just threw the ball to give Ushii a chance, I teared up...

Glad Minato is starting to appreciate the people around him more.

So the purpose of this anime wasn't to continue with the nice and kind Minato but to continue with the original Minato by bringing a change into his rude attitude.

Now they should never let the mom drive the car.

It was good. There were times when it felt a little boring but in the end it was enjoyable. I could also relate to some of the characters. Animation and music were fine. But mostly Minato's VA did a great job transitioning from that cheerful voice to that rude tone.

Overall 7/10
Oct 13, 2021 6:51 PM

Feb 2014
tbh, i quite liked this episode. it's definitely gotten more interesting and i'm glad we're starting to see character development for the "original" minato. the double amnesia was indeed... a choice. but i mean it's good his character didn't miraculously revert or improve again at least.

slowly but surely, he seems to be becoming a better person and giving his teammates and family the decency and respect they deserve. a bare minimum, but with how jaded he became in the past due to becoming an egotistical ace in middle school, it's nice to see this development of him regaining a love for water polo as a sport itself instead of a means toward simply winning.

overall, i think this series was an interesting departure from or reworking of the usual sports anime tropes—which i still love, since i watch the genre of course, but they can get tiresome at times. i won't say i loved this anime, but i did enjoy it for what it's worth and i look forward to another season if that happens!
punkmikuOct 13, 2021 6:58 PM
Oct 16, 2021 7:18 AM
Sep 2018
About the episode:

Honestly the episode was a 10/10, the match was really cool, everyone had their moment and I really loved Minato's behavior. That ending pass was crazy. The end of the episode was beautiful, the moment in the car was very very moving especially with his mother. And to finish the moment when they are all together was amazing

"The 7 future champions of Japan" WOW

About the anime:

I really enjoyed watching this anime, it was cool from the beginning to the end, with a lot of emotions (that's what I like best in anime), some small details like for example the universe is not developed enough, we have the impression that there are only 3 teams in all the anime, it's very disturbing but good. I put the note of 8/10. Hype for the season 2.
Oct 17, 2021 12:25 PM

Jul 2021
I liked it. Hoping for season 2.
Oct 19, 2021 10:36 PM
Oct 2021
The ending is pretty good.Even though we didn’t get to see Minato n his new team win that Tournament,glad to see everything is going well again.It Just this anime got some unnecessary drama plot which is not suitable for sports anime but overall is good.💗
Oct 20, 2021 1:59 AM

Jun 2016
Re main is seriously underrated. Out of every sports anime, it has the most realistic characters. Everyone was down to Earth, even the mob class leader that forced Ushimado into the waterpolo club.

The memory plot was a bit far fetched but it makes for an interesting story and drama element that are way better than most violent psycho’s or cheap tricks forcing the plots in other sports anime.

Only 1 major issue for me. Entire show revolves around Minato being former best yet they NEVER FUCKING SHOW IT TO US. Every episode has a line about Minato being #1 yet there was never a single scene showing him at his peak. Made it hard to actually relate to the comparison being made all the time. If there was just 1 insane scene with some great sakuga and ost showing Minato becoming #1 in ep 1, Re-main could have popped off.

Mappa was a letdown with Jujutsu and AOT final, but Heion and Re-main were downright entertaining. I’m not holding my breath but I genuinely hope both get an s2.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re-Main Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Sep 4, 2021

107 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
Sep 22, 7:51 PM

Poll: » Re-Main Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Sep 11, 2021

48 by Tsukasa_Rio »»
Aug 17, 2023 7:10 PM

» I desperately need a second season already

Elma_fer - Sep 26, 2021

24 by KitsuFrost »»
May 21, 2023 12:45 PM

Poll: » Re-Main Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 7, 2021

33 by vlascoe123 »»
Jan 11, 2023 11:32 AM

Poll: » Re-Main Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jul 3, 2021

85 by Pymodder »»
Dec 29, 2022 12:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.