Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 13, 2021 8:53 AM

Jul 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well this is one gorgeous movie, same can be said for Gigi (a handful though).

Really like all the "realism" and beautiful character animation which is a rarity in a Gundam show. The fights can sometimes be fast and a bit hard to follow but I'm loving this so far. Cant wait for the rest of the trilogy.

There are limited-release BDs sold at the theatre during the premiere that comes with official english subs in case you're wondering.

Jun 13, 2021 10:19 AM

Dec 2017
It was a good movie and now my favourite gundam, as I expected. What surprised me was how gigi turned out to be the exact opposite of what I had in mind lol. Shes a beauty nonetheless.
The cgi wasn't as bad as some were making it seem like, it's second to ufotable cgi, at times even better imo. My only concerns were a few shots with some awkward poses. Other than that murase and sunrise did a pretty good job on it.

P.S: Netflix subs are scary.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Jun 13, 2021 12:37 PM
Jun 2016
This might be one of the best Gundam movie for me. The art, the sound/music, the story and execution all made me speechless at the end.
The music was deliberately made with a blockbuster feel in mind, so some people might get thrown off by it. But I think Sawano did a great job.
I think they finally nailed the CGI in this one. No choppy frame-rate, no looking out of place, looks polished. I still remember how CGI in anime looked like in 2016 lol.

My favorite bit was when Gawman throttled his Messer into the sky and it made a realistic engine sound, then get shot in the back and falls down. Another one was when the Feds shoots a laser down the street and the plasma goop (?) got spread, melting surrounding object as it made contact. Those attention to details are just awesome!

Some people might dislike the serious tone it has, but I think it's a fitting tone for the series. Because Gundam was made to be a serious anti-war show in the first place, as opposed to the cool and hip super robot kid show at the time.
Jun 13, 2021 5:48 PM

May 2017
Good movie, it didn't surprise me with being a masterpiece or anything but I was thoroughly entertained. Animation's gorgeous, some of the best I've seen in the post-cel animation era. Hathaway's definitely developed since CCA, not the annoying shithead he used to be. The other characters are also quite good, especially Gigi and Gawman. Kenneth's fine, he serves as a good villain but I wouldn't call him memorable yet. Lane Aim (Tomino name moment) almost looks like a Gundam protagonist that's taken out of that context into being a secondary character on the Fed side which this time around is the enemy essentially, so that's pretty interesting.

The middle point had to have been the strongest when the city attack occurred, got really immersed there and was genuinely feeling uncomfortable with how much Gigi was freaking out. There's a very raw sense of inertia and intensity.

I'm really excited for the next movies, this served as a great setup to this much more serious in tone trilogy of movies. I've always felt that late era UC earned this serious tone because of how bleak things get the further it goes on, so really I'm glad they're going all in on it. Also the Amuro cameo near the end definitely got a reaction out of me, I didn't see that coming at all.

Again I wouldn't call this absolutely amazing but it was a solid 7/10 from me, if it keeps it up the next two movies could be amazing.
Jun 14, 2021 2:27 AM

May 2018
Really enjoyed this.
The animation was great.They totally nailed the Philippines segments, it really looks like a place I can find locally... Except for the futuristic cars of course.
The two battles happen during nighttime so I had to up the brightness of my screen but I did enjoy those fights.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Jun 14, 2021 12:25 PM

Feb 2017
Really good start to this part of UC saga. The movie looked very good overall. Character animation is probably the best series has gotten so far, beautiful in every aspect. Mechs were in 3D unfortunately, but they managed to get around it so it looked satisfying. Just some background shots were uncanny.

I like Kenneth's character and Gigi is an intriguing so far. Hathaway is so far also a cool protagonist. Hope next movies introduce us more to his compatriots. Was thoroughly immersed and into it for the whole duration. Looking forward to the rest!
Jun 14, 2021 12:31 PM

Dec 2019
Gundam has never looked this good sound or animation-wise. My god. I really liked the way they incorporated CGI and utilized it.

Needless to say, I'll take Gigi over Quess any day of the week.
Here we go again...
Jun 14, 2021 3:00 PM

Feb 2011
I liked this one quite a bit (especially after rewatching Narrative yesterday). It did feel like it was a bit uneventful, not much has happened yet, but I feel like that's on purpose and this is all set-up for what's to come in the future two movies. I'm also glad I didn't read the synopsis, I was totally unaware Hathaway is Mafty for the first half hour or so. The characters are great too, in the first few minutes I was expecting to not like Kenneth but he turned out to be a cool guy.

Visually, amazing. Yeah, the Gundams are CGI, but it's pretty damn good and I feel Sunrise already proved to be able to animate mecha's in CGI properly with Gundam The Origin. I do think the art and animation is also fantastic, but not quite on the level of Unicorn.

And of course the Hiroyuki Sawano soundtrack is great stuff.
Jun 14, 2021 3:10 PM

Aug 2017
Basically a set-up for the next two movies. It was pretty good. One of the best animated Gundam out there. I love how this movie shows how bad it is to be on the ground during an MS fight. We had moments like that in War in the Pocket, F91, and Narrative, but the horror and terror of Mobile Suits is really present here. I wonder if they're going to change the ending of the source -I got spoiled :/- or if we can see more references to the rest of the UC besides CCA. 7/10 for the movie
NurguburuJun 14, 2021 5:29 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 14, 2021 6:15 PM

Apr 2014
Great amount of details and gestures present everywhere, I had to rewatch a lot of scenes.
And above all it's a mature and realistic show. When it comes to anime, shows where the main characters aren't high schoolers and are actually above 18 are a total rarity.
Leonhart93Jun 14, 2021 6:20 PM
Jun 14, 2021 6:26 PM
Oct 2020
I'm going to admit that although the animation, fight scenes, voice acting and the music that played throughout the hectic scenes throughout the film was awesome, I have a very serious issue with the story.

Hathaway Noa is the son of Bright Noa, a decorated Earth Federation officer who has spent his life fighting against Zeon and their methods of terrorism and racist philosophy about how "Space belongs to the Spacenoids!" and "Earthnoids' souls are bound by gravity". And now Hathaway has become a terrorist leader of an organization called Mafty Erin and engages in assassinations of Earth Federation ministers, authorizes dangerous mobile suit battles taking place in civilian-populated areas and is spouting a Zeon-esque radical ideology of attempting to get all humans to leave the Earth and go into space.

I'm sorry, but it looks to me as if Hathaway has committed the ultimate betrayal of his father. The Federation's tactics of sending Manhunters to root out illegal Earth residents and send them back to space is a little heavy-handed and endangers civilians, but it does not justify Hathaway's embrace of terrorism!

sad face :(
Jun 14, 2021 10:02 PM
Sep 2019
Calli1998 said:

Hathaway Noa is the son of Bright Noa, a decorated Earth Federation officer who has spent his life fighting against Zeon and their methods of terrorism and racist philosophy about how "Space belongs to the Spacenoids!" and "Earthnoids' souls are bound by gravity". And now Hathaway has become a terrorist leader of an organization called Mafty Erin and engages in assassinations of Earth Federation ministers, authorizes dangerous mobile suit battles taking place in civilian-populated areas and is spouting a Zeon-esque radical ideology of attempting to get all humans to leave the Earth and go into space.

I'm sorry, but it looks to me as if Hathaway has committed the ultimate betrayal of his father. The Federation's tactics of sending Manhunters to root out illegal Earth residents and send them back to space is a little heavy-handed and endangers civilians, but it does not justify Hathaway's embrace of terrorism!

You seem to seriously misunderstand. Hathaway is not a Neo-Zeon. The constant comparisons to Char were actually focusing on CCA era Char, where his own association with Neo-Zeon was as loyal as Char can be, which is to say: not at all. I would argue that Mafty's ideology is sort of halfway between the AEUG and CCA era Char, with a lean towards the latter. As a matter of fact, Mafty's ideology has nothing to do with Zeon's Newtype supremacy. A big thing that separates him from previous anti-Earth organizations is his his Newtype-skepticism. He straight up doesn't believe they exist.

It also feels like you're not really paying attention to what you're saying. How can he be a Spacenoid supremacist when he explicitly wants to move people to space? Hell, every major piece of Gundam media has operated under the principle that Earth cannot sustain human life much longer.

As if that's not enough, he's at least as Cosmopolitan as the Federation is. The character is Japanese, but the name he operates under borrows from 3 different cultures which have historically been occupied by foreign powers. Given the idea of the Federation as an outgrowth of a Rich Nation's club, I imagine there's a lot of "internal" Federation Imperialism.

How can you decry Mafty using force to implement his policies when the Federation use force to implement that same policy? They were merely "heavy-handed". The Federation's implementation of that policy seems to care little for Earth itself, and acts as more of a way to strengthen enforcement of the existing class system. You also seem to know very little about Bright himself, as he was a member of the AEUG. Rebelling against the Earth is just what the Noa family does in their late 20s.
Jun 14, 2021 10:42 PM
Oct 2020
The_Fylkir said:
Calli1998 said:

You seem to seriously misunderstand. Hathaway is not a Neo-Zeon. The constant comparisons to Char were actually focusing on CCA era Char, where his own association with Neo-Zeon was as loyal as Char can be, which is to say: not at all. I would argue that Mafty's ideology is sort of halfway between the AEUG and CCA era Char, with a lean towards the latter. As a matter of fact, Mafty's ideology has nothing to do with Zeon's Newtype supremacy. A big thing that separates him from previous anti-Earth organizations is his his Newtype-skepticism. He straight up doesn't believe they exist.

It also feels like you're not really paying attention to what you're saying. How can he be a Spacenoid supremacist when he explicitly wants to move people to space? Hell, every major piece of Gundam media has operated under the principle that Earth cannot sustain human life much longer.

As if that's not enough, he's at least as Cosmopolitan as the Federation is. The character is Japanese, but the name he operates under borrows from 3 different cultures which have historically been occupied by foreign powers. Given the idea of the Federation as an outgrowth of a Rich Nation's club, I imagine there's a lot of "internal" Federation Imperialism.

How can you decry Mafty using force to implement his policies when the Federation use force to implement that same policy? They were merely "heavy-handed". The Federation's implementation of that policy seems to care little for Earth itself, and acts as more of a way to strengthen enforcement of the existing class system. You also seem to know very little about Bright himself, as he was a member of the AEUG. Rebelling against the Earth is just what the Noa family does in their late 20s.

1. Bright Noa was only a member of the AEUG because he wanted to put a stop to the Titans and their murderous ways which even included filling colonies with poison gas. He never believed in that tripe about how Earthnoids' souls are weighed down by gravity and that they should go to space to be superior.

2. Because by picking fights in populated cities, the Mafty group are endangering the very civilians that they claim to care about. Gawman may have been shocked by the EF forces firing on him near civilians, but what did he expect when he picked a fight there? For them to do nothing and just let him on his way? For all they knew, Gawman could start killing more civilians himself, seeing as he already fired a laser weapon at a hotel.

3. I didn't say that Hathaway is a Spacenoid supremacist, just that he is parroting Zeon-esque jargon. His whole motivation about moving humanity to space is that the environment is getting worse and the Earth will supposedly be unsustainable for humans in 1000 years. But many Earthnoids get by just fine, and a lot can happen between now and a millennia into the future.

4. I don't believe this bandied-about notion that Earth will be unsustainable for humans. Princess Mineva even pointed out to Full Frontal that if his plan to economically boycott and isolate the Earth came to fruition, the Federation would quickly pour their resources into redeveloping the Earth and improving its conditions. That shows that the Earth's ecology can clearly be improved, and Zeon's ideology about how people must go to space is just self-serving propaganda.

And lastly, I believe that moving people to space would be consistent with the ideology of a Spacenoid supremacist. They believe humanity can only reach their full potential in outer space and away from Earth, and that the Earthnoids' souls are weighed down by gravity, which is a cause of violence and warring among humans.
Jun 15, 2021 12:39 AM

Oct 2010
Just finished. That was outstanding, definitely some top-tier Gundam material.

Glad I got my kit of the Xi in today, too.
Jun 15, 2021 9:09 PM

Nov 2020
She hot...................
Jun 16, 2021 8:02 AM

Dec 2017
In short it is a good movie (7/10). But I have some problems.
-The area through which the ship was originally said was dangerous, and they knew it. So why did they go to that place?
-Gigi seemed like a meh character, sometimes she looks like a mary-sue and sometimes a character that affects everything. I guess it would be a cyber-newtype. And if she were a cyber-newtype, I remember that they should always be accompanied by someone to avoid problems.
-WTF why Lane returned a TERRORIST. Wherever you look at it, it's a stupid decision.
AquaMercuryJun 16, 2021 10:02 AM

Jun 17, 2021 11:47 AM

Jan 2009
a Gundam set here in the Philippines eh

Gigi is either a good mind reader or a telepathic NewType, she knows that Hathaway is the real Mafty the terrorist that wants all humans to live in space

ye the character animation, character design and sakuga action even the 3DCG robot battles are very good
Jun 18, 2021 11:09 AM

Jan 2012
The attention to detail on this movie is top notch
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jun 18, 2021 10:14 PM
Jan 2021
jollibee, now sponsoring this anime movie... langhap sarap
Jun 20, 2021 5:17 PM

Aug 2008
Awesome movie. Visually spectacular. Can't wait for the next one.
Jun 21, 2021 8:16 AM
Oct 2012
This was a pretty spectacular film. It looks great visually, and I was hoping for more action and stuff, but we needed the exposition to set up for the other two movies, which is okay.

I personally found the final battle a little lackluster, but the fight with Gawman in the middle of the movie was amazing though.

Also, strangely, I find some of the soundtrack similar to the movie Interstellar for some reason. There's this one track in the movie that sounds exactly like it. I must be going crazy. lol

Anyways. Looking forward to the next movie.
Jun 23, 2021 11:39 PM

Jan 2013
Calli1998 said:

4. I don't believe this bandied-about notion that Earth will be unsustainable for humans. Princess Mineva even pointed out to Full Frontal that if his plan to economically boycott and isolate the Earth came to fruition, the Federation would quickly pour their resources into redeveloping the Earth and improving its conditions. That shows that the Earth's ecology can clearly be improved, and Zeon's ideology about how people must go to space is just self-serving propaganda.

I wouldn't count Unicorn as canon. It was written by a different guy.
Jun 24, 2021 1:15 AM
Apr 2020
So far the movie was great and yea ofcourse mixing characters with those realistic portraits was great idea I loved it
Jun 24, 2021 9:21 AM
Jul 2018
Great start to the trilogy! This is by far the best incorporation of CGI I have ever witnessed in an anime adaption, although my experience is certainly limited compared to the majority of the community.

Animation-10/10
Soundtrack-10/10
Plot-8/10 (Not bad considering this is just a build up to things to come)
Other miscellaneous elements-9/10

Overall viewing experience-9.5/10

A question to those who have already read the original novels, are there any space scenes later on, or are we stuck on Earth for the entire series? Also, can anyone elaborate on Hathaway's feelings towards Amuro? He didn't look very pleased with his memory flash/Newtype interference.
Jun 24, 2021 9:25 AM
Jul 2018
Calli1998 said:
I'm going to admit that although the animation, fight scenes, voice acting and the music that played throughout the hectic scenes throughout the film was awesome, I have a very serious issue with the story.

Sorry if I have missed it, but what is Bright Noa doing right now? Has Londo Bell been decommissioned after Unicorn?
Jun 24, 2021 9:50 AM
Oct 2020
tirthasg said:
Calli1998 said:

Sorry if I have missed it, but what is Bright Noa doing right now? Has Londo Bell been decommissioned after Unicorn?

The only thing we know from the movie is that Bright Noa is still alive. Londo Bell has not been decommissioned.
Jun 26, 2021 2:26 AM
Jul 2018
This is my first Gundam anime but it was really good. Especially visuals and voice acting are top-notch. I got interested in other series :D
Jun 27, 2021 6:19 AM
Feb 2014
Amazing visuals, art and animation. The characters are well presented.
The 3DCG isnt that bad but I guess the shadows and darkness masked them alot during the final sequence.

The plot is kind of strange.
Like other posters here, I don't get one bit what makes Mufti Nabi Erin's cause substantiated or sensible.
Yes the Federation higherups are corrupt along with the police. But they themselves are just plain terrorists. How exactly are they gonna convince the masses to emigrate by killing political figures? Isn't life hard enough? Yet somehow getting into space is gonna make everything better lol

Also the arabic phrase is so wierd; a person of religious authority-prophet-Erin. If this is right, I guess Hathaway wanted to portray himself to be some sort of self righteous fanatic.
Jul 1, 2021 9:19 AM
Jul 2013
Absolutely amazing animation especially the background, but during the fight, i dunno if it's just me but it's too dark
Jul 1, 2021 10:21 AM

Feb 2012
Certainly a Thriller, Shukou Murase was definitely the right person to direct this.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 1, 2021 4:00 PM
Jul 2011
Amazing. This is worth the wait!
Jul 1, 2021 11:42 PM

Nov 2012
Goddamn it was so fucking good. This feels like a true mainline UC entry unlike NT and Unicorn.
RX-782Jul 2, 2021 12:04 AM
Jul 2, 2021 7:19 AM

Aug 2013
Quick question about the bit where Hathaway is sitting with Gigi and she asks him if Newtypes are real and he responds with something like "They don't exist. That's what they teach you in school right?" I understand that HF is "more canon" probably than Unicorn because it's Tomino-penned but I was just wondering if this scene/dialogue is to be taken as a true retconning/disconnect from Unicorn. Because after the events of the Laplace Incident EVERYONE knows about Newtypes and that they're real/deserve equal political representation iirc. For Hathaway and Gigi to talk like Newtypes are still advertised as some sort of myth sort of implies the absence of the Laplace Incident right? I loved Unicorn as an entry into the UC canon and the implications of that exchange sort of made me a little sad but just wanted to know if I was reading that bit right.

RX-782 said:
Goddamn it was so fucking good. This feels like a true mainline UC entry unlike NT and Unicorn.

This. Because much as I love Unicorn and think it's a 10/10 follow up to CCA stylistically you can tell it's not written by Tomino. Not that it's a bad thing but it just felt a little different. This film has Tomino's style written all over it and it's really refreshing in the contemporary landscape. Came off of watching the likes of MHA, JJK, and Demon Slayer I just felt like it was so damn refreshing to watch something that's clearly written and nuanced for an adult audience. As a whole for the reasons others have mentioned this was an amazing watch, and looks like it's going to be an incredible adaption. Bravo.

Sternengesang said:
Absolutely amazing animation especially the background, but during the fight, i dunno if it's just me but it's too dark

This however is my only gripe. Some parts of the battles were dark to the point where it was a little tricky to follow what was going on or get a great look at the nice new mobile suits.
Champloo_RemixJul 2, 2021 7:29 AM
Jul 2, 2021 7:57 AM
Jul 2013

On my phone the dark is normal tho, and when i watch the trailer on utube, it's normal too, dunno it's my monitor or web version of netflix
Jul 3, 2021 10:25 AM

Jan 2021
Hathaway is so hot. Can't wait for the sequel
Jul 4, 2021 12:41 PM

Apr 2016

How do the fluids stay within the glasses in zero gravity in the opening scene? That'd only work if the spacecraft is accelerating upwards, but that isn't what is shown in the opening shot.

(from the news report on the laptop in the intro) Side 6 is Christinia's and Al's home. Yikes. Hathaway takes place in the year 105? So it has been 25 years since War in the Pocket? So Al must be 36 now. Christina must be in her 40s. Hope they had families.

The CCA flashback was pretty cool, but if Hathaway is seriously seeing Gigi as love interest material, then I'm going to say that he has bad taste in women. Don't go for narcissists folks.

Review

Just going to say this right out of the gate: you'll get the most mileage out of this movie if you have seen the UC Tomino saga (Mobile Suit Gundam > Zeta Gundam > ZZ > Char's Counterattack). I'd also recommend watching Origin before MSG as it helps flesh out the backstory. Though I guess you can watch this without having seen the UC Saga before. If you don't understand why the protagonist is fighting against the Federation, or what Newtypes are and the visions Hathaway has, then just know that the Feddies are dicks who never learn, and that Hathaway is a psychic (Gundam Unicorn turns Newtype powers into insane space magic that can do anything, but I digress).

This movie was overall okay. Not a fan of the artstyle; wish it had been drawn like the old 80's Zeta/ZZ/CCA/War in the Pocket style. The CGI water didn't look very good. And, sorry, I will simply never get over 3D CGI mecha. It didn't look good in Aldnoah Zero. It didn't look good in Unicorn. It didn't look good in Origin. And it doesn't look good here. It's quite baffling how Gundam is Sunrise's flagship franchise, and when they do the movie adaptation of the biggest Gundam novel that hasn't been adapted yet (with Tomino's name on it!)... they half ass it with 3D CGI rather than giving it the attention it deserves. Are 2D mecha animators extinct or what?

There were only two mecha fights in the whole film. The first one took place at such incredibly long range you never got to see the attacking Penelope. Both fights took place in the dark so it was hard to see. I suppose that's another problem with the movie: it's only a partial adaptation of the novel. It's supposed to be a setup movie for more films to finish the novel. 90% of this movie was just people standing around talking.

The other problem with the movie is that it suffers from the same problem any UC material post ZZ suffers from: it's bleak. Time after time again, the Federation are dicks, which incites an uprising, which is eventually quelled, and the Federation never learns their lesson. They continue to be dicks and everyone keeps suffering. I wonder if Sunrise will keep the ending to the novel, as that would be a rather sour note to end the UC timeline on (aka
), as Hathaway is the last thing before the 50 year time jump to F91 and no one cares about Late UC anyway. Maybe Sunrise could finally get around to adapting Crossbone Vanguard?

I watched subbed. Dunno if the English dub is any good, but given this is a Netflix anime I doubt it. Only good Gundam dub I've seen was War in the Pocket.

Replies

Vague0 said:
The cgi wasn't as bad as some were making it seem like, it's second to ufotable cgi, at times even better imo.

smh

Ufotable doesn't really have shows with as much heavy 3D CGI as Gundam has been using this past decade. Ufotable specializes in plastering their shows with 20 different Adobe After Effects filters to cover up their lack of animation. When Ufotable does do 3D CGI, it's as crappy as to be expected, but they only do it rarely (ie, that dragons from the Berseria OVA). Sunrise has been trying to use 3D CGI as a substitute for animating mechs, when the mechs are supposed to be the big draw of their shows.

Narendra23 said:
This might be one of the best Gundam movie for me. The art, the sound/music, the story and execution all made me speechless at the end.

morshuwarrior said:

CCA and F91 have problems but I think it can be said that they are objectively better movies than this one. 90% of those movies aren't people standing around and talking like here. Art and animation is better. I also don't get why people think Hiroyuki Sawano's soundtracks are amazing; his only somewhat memorable score is for Thunderbolt Fantasy. The rest of his OSTs are forgettable. There is no contest between the soundtrack of Hathaway and the soundtrack of CCA.

Atelier_Weiss said:
Animation's gorge

EddyFiend said:
Gundam has never looked this good sound or animation-wise. My god. I really liked the way they incorporated CGI and utilized it.
ous, some of the best I've seen in the post-cel animation era.

What on earth? Did people watch a different movie than I did?

Calli1998 said:

No. Bright is the betrayer. He saw how evil the Federation was and defected to join AEUG, which was good! But then, he started engaging in Titan behavior by lasering a civilian colony in ZZ, and then he rejoined the Federation and became the head of the NuTitans (called "Londo Bell"). In Unicorn, his organization tries to suppress the Sleeves (aka the new AEUG fighting against the tyranny of the Feddies) and attacks two innocent colonies and tries to use the Gryps Laser to destroy Industrial 7. He's a straight up Titan now. Hathaway is probably the only guy left in UC who still has a spine and is willing to stand up to evil.

The_Fylkir said:
You seem to seriously misunderstand. Hathaway is not a Neo-Zeon. The constant comparisons to Char were actually focusing on CCA era Char, where his own association with Neo-Zeon was as loyal as Char can be, which is to say: not at all. I would argue that Mafty's ideology is sort of halfway between the AEUG and CCA era Char, with a lean towards the latter. As a matter of fact, Mafty's ideology has nothing to do with Zeon's Newtype supremacy.

Hathaway shares Amuro's ideals: humanity should move into space, but not through violent means like Char (claimed) tried in CCA (it's debatable whether or not CCA Char actually believed in his own rhetoric, or if he was just using that to get people to help set the stage for his suicide by cop). Like Amuro, Hathaway believes that good men have a moral imperative to stand up to evil (in UC this is oppressive organization's like Gihren's Zeon, or the Federation). Had Amuro survived CCA, he would have almost certainly had joined or formed a new AEUG like organization like Mafty is today.

The_Fylkir said:
A big thing that separates him from previous anti-Earth organizations is his his Newtype-skepticism. He straight up doesn't believe they exist.

Hathaway absolutely believes Newtypes exist; he fought alongside and against them in CCA. If Amuro and Quess weren't newtypes then they wouldn't have been able to control the funnels on their mobile suits. And Hathaway knows about the Axis Shock, which everyone figured out was a Newtype phenomena.

Calli1998 said:
1. Bright Noa was only a member of the AEUG because he wanted to put a stop to the Titans and their murderous ways which even included filling colonies with poison gas.

Again, we see in ZZ and Unicorn that Hathaway has become a Titan. Attacking civilian colonies? Did it at least three times onscreen (Axis in ZZ, Industrial 7, and Palau in Unicorn). Makes no difference whether or not he used gas: lasering colonies and blowing people up inside them has the same effect.

Calli1998 said:
2. Because by picking fights in populated cities, the Mafty group are endangering the very civilians that they claim to care about. Gawman may have been shocked by the EF forces firing on him near civilians, but what did he expect when he picked a fight there? For them to do nothing and just let him on his way? For all they knew, Gawman could start killing more civilians himself, seeing as he already fired a laser weapon at a hotel.

Mafty planned their attack on the hotel assuming that they would encounter only Jegans, which they could handily dispatch. They did not count on the arrival of a new experimental Gundam (the Penelope). Hathaway didn't find out that the Penelope was even there until it was too late, and he had no way of contacting the group to call the attack off.

The Penelope bombarding the city was a genuine surprise, and is a testament to Lane Aim's incompetency in combat. We've seen dozens of engagements at long range in UC Gundam before. Actually competent pilots can accurately hit their targets at far greater distances than shown here. If Lane Aim wasn't confidant that he could hit Gawman, then he should've either 1. gotten closer to make sure he didn't miss, 2. closed to melee range and used his beam saber, or 3. should've have dived underneath Gawman and shot at him from below, so any missed shots would simply go into the sky.

Actually, given how incompetent the Jegans were, I'd suppose this is more of a testament to how mediocre Kenneth's forces are (and by extension, the Federation military as a whole), which is rather consistent with the portrayl of Feddie ground forces (Torrington Base in Stardust Memory, Torrington base again in Unicorn). I think the only competent Feddie ground forces in the UC timeline were Shiro's squad in 08th MS Team. Almost all Feddie OYA veterans are dead, having been killed off in the Gryps Conflict or were incinerated trying to push Axis away, so there probably aren't many guys left to teach the newbies how to be good mobile suit pilots.

The missile attacks on the hotel had minimal civilian casualties, if at all. Again, Mafty planned their attack so they would attack the suites that the Feddie bigwigs were staying at. They didn't level the entire building. That being said, there is a decent chance that hotel staff might have been killed (ie room service happened to be present at one of the hotel suites when it got hit by the missile), and people below on the ground might have been killed by falling debris. If Mafty really wanted to kill the Feddie bigwigs with zero civilian casualties, then it would have probably been better if they had a bunch of snipers on a far away rooftop who shot all of the targets in their beds at the same time. But this is a franchise whose appeal is predicated upon giant mech fights, so having mechs fire missiles and then get into a mech fight is what happens.

Calli1998 said:
I didn't say that Hathaway is a Spacenoid supremacist, just that he is parroting Zeon-esque jargon. His whole motivation about moving humanity to space is that the environment is getting worse and the Earth will supposedly be unsustainable for humans in 1000 years. But many Earthnoids get by just fine, and a lot can happen between now and a millennia into the future.

Again, in universe this is a belief Amuro had, so it's not exclusively Zeonist belief. I will agree that I'm not onboard with the space hippism "mother earth worship". Probably a holdover from when hippism and environmentalism and "SAVE THE WHALES!" was all the rage in the 80s. It's rather telling that post-Tomino Gundam just drops the hippism. Unicorn is the only non-Tomino work I can think of that still retains it.

Calli1998 said:

Unicorn just wasn't well written. The gist of Full Frontal's plan wasn't predicated on environmentalism or space hippism. He just wanted to get the Federation to concede to Spacenoid independence by economically forcing them to do so. A coherent plan. But then halfway through the scene, Mineva starts strawmanning "you're just flipping the Zeon-Feddie dynamic!" and space hippism. It was very jarring.

Calli1998 said:
They believe humanity can only reach their full potential in outer space and away from Earth, and that the Earthnoids' souls are weighed down by gravity, which is a cause of violence and warring among humans.

I do agree that it is gibberish. We see that Newtype aren't a phenomena exclusive to Spacenoids; we see Newtypes who come from Earth. Amuro was born on Earth. And if Zeta, ZZ, and CCA are anything to go by, Newtype "understanding each other through telepathy" does not, in fact, stop wars from happening. People can sense each other's thoughts and will still disagree and even hate each other.

Aqua023 said:
-The area through which the ship was originally said was dangerous, and they knew it. So why did they go to that place?

Typical Federation complacency.

Aqua023 said:
-WTF why Lane returned a TERRORIST. Wherever you look at it, it's a stupid decision.

He was buying time for his reinforcements to arrive.

Xnovazero said:
This is my first Gundam anime but it was really good. Especially visuals and voice acting are top-notch. I got interested in other series :D

This movie takes place in the UC (Universal Century) timeline, which is considered the "main" Gundam continuity. If you want to get a better understanding of UC, then I would recommend watching Origin > Mobile Suit Gundam > Zeta Gundam > ZZ > Char's Counterattack.

If you don't care about UC and just want to jump into another fun mecha anime, then you might like 0080 War in the Pocket, or Iron-Blooded Orphans

sephatu said:
Like other posters here, I don't get one bit what makes Mufti Nabi Erin's cause substantiated or sensible.
Yes the Federation higherups are corrupt along with the police. But they themselves are just plain terrorists. How exactly are they gonna convince the masses to emigrate by killing political figures? Isn't life hard enough? Yet somehow getting into space is gonna make everything better lol

We saw in prior UC shows how oppressive the Feddies were.

AEUG tried to gently reform the system, but failed and was absorbed back into the Feddies as Londo Bells, aka the new Titans.

Hathaway has decided to cut out the cancer by going after the Feddie bigwigs who call the shots, hoping that by killing them, their replacements will be scared enough to stop their oppression and actually reform the system.

Champloo_Remix said:
Quick question about the bit where Hathaway is sitting with Gigi and she asks him if Newtypes are real and he responds with something like "They don't exist. That's what they teach you in school right?" I understand that HF is "more canon" probably than Unicorn because it's Tomino-penned but I was just wondering if this scene/dialogue is to be taken as a true retconning/disconnect from Unicorn. Because after the events of the Laplace Incident EVERYONE knows about Newtypes and that they're real/deserve equal political representation iirc. For Hathaway and Gigi to talk like Newtypes are still advertised as some sort of myth sort of implies the absence of the Laplace Incident right? I loved Unicorn as an entry into the UC canon and the implications of that exchange sort of made me a little sad but just wanted to know if I was reading that bit right.

Remember, four decades before Hathaway took place, Char's father Zeon Zum Deikun made his famous speech to Side 3 talking about Newtypes and advocating for Spacenoid Independence. Deikun is only really remember for his Spacenoid independence stuff. Nobody took his Newtype rhetoric seriously. MSG took place like 10 years after he made that speech and yet everyone still though that Newtypes were a myth. Over the course of UC, Newtypes don't really enter the public consciousness. The Federation and Zeon recruited a handful of Newtypes and engineered Cybernewtypes, but overall there were like less than 100 known Newtypes, ever. Mineva going on TV and regurgitating Deikun's rhetoric that Newtypes exist won't get people to believe that they actually exist, because your average joe has never seen a Newtype. Amuro Ray is a hero and most people don't even know he was even a Newtype.
Valyrian1124Jul 4, 2021 2:18 PM
Jul 4, 2021 2:28 PM

Dec 2017
Aqua023 said:

Typical Federation complacency.

Aqua023 said:

He was buying time for his reinforcements to arrive.

I hope that in the following films they can clarify that (the complicity thing)
But what Lane did to forgive a terrorist doesn't make sense, from any point of view it's stupid (Kenneth had told him to even use it as bait). Literal could have come up with a much better plan to corner Hathaway.

Jul 6, 2021 12:06 AM

Dec 2014
Hathaway and Kenneth vs the enemies in the spaceship/plane (shuttle?) was awesome, and that cameo by the legendary pilot, i screamed like a fangirl.
Jul 6, 2021 7:15 PM

Jul 2008
Great start to the show, I don’t think Hathaway and Gigi will go far though romance-wise but it would be nice if they do. One thing that I realized is the main characters in the Gundam franchise are prone to death and may no always emerge victorious in the end but I hope this doesn’t happen to Hathaway.
Jul 7, 2021 6:19 AM

Feb 2011
Valyrian1124 said:
morshuwarrior said:

CCA and F91 have problems but I think it can be said that they are objectively better movies than this one. 90% of those movies aren't people standing around and talking like here. Art and animation is better. I also don't get why people think Hiroyuki Sawano's soundtracks are amazing; his only somewhat memorable score is for Thunderbolt Fantasy. The rest of his OSTs are forgettable. There is no contest between the soundtrack of Hathaway and the soundtrack of CCA.
Yeah I do understand why one wouldn't like Hiroyuki Sawano's music and that it's forgettable. Yes, there's little variation and it blends in with his other soundtracks. Personally though, I like his style a lot, I eat that shit up, and I remember more from Hathaway even though I've only seen it once and I've seen CCA three times. Don't get me wrong though, CCA still has a great soundtrack.

I don't really care for objectivety really, it's all pure personal taste for me. That said though, I don't want Sawano to compose for every future Gundam UC entry. It'd be great to see other composers like Yutaka Yamada do Gundam.
Jul 7, 2021 11:00 PM
Dec 2020
So right now Hathaway is leaning towards Char's ideology more?
Jul 8, 2021 3:36 AM

Jul 2008
Plotva741 said:
Yes, from what we have seen, that seems to be the case.
Jul 9, 2021 8:54 AM

Sep 2020
A gundam movie set at a later era of UC, and a very good one at that (especially the production values)
its interesting to watch this as someone who hasnt completed watching original gundam and its sequels

But im afraid as someone who doesnt follow UC timeline closely, commenting on the plot 100% chance will rub some diehard fans on the wrong way since this is tomino Gundam for tomino fans (i guess?)
if you're a diehard fans you will be lying if you said your review not affected by nostalgia element

Not gonna lie, its confusing.. but not because i dont know the names and terms, but rather their motivation and quirkiness of character still hard to grasp, being the first movie in trilogy. so viewer still not clear why they did what they did, still just a setup maybe?
for example, Gigi obviously a kind of Newtype what with figuring out Hathaway other identities, talking this and that which doesnt feel like a cohesive conversation (might be due to TL, who knows) flirting with Hathaway and that other guy without a care, but then when fight broke out, she became as shocked as a commoner like she didnt expect trouble will come if she stayed near Hathaway even though she already figure out his identity.
if her personality like that is not because she's a newtype, surely because she got screws loose in her head.(and hathaway too if he likes her)

also curious if this triangle relationship is tomino style of story, a recurring theme in UC, or what.

whats interesting tho, how both sides are not in the complete right or at least making questionable action too. and you just know that Lane is basically what a Gundam protag would look like if they doesnt become the main character.

sadly someone already spoil the ending for me, tho i dunno how it will comes to that. wish they can do something about it or even give some connection to previous films, which i highly doubt tomino as the original writer would allow it
Jul 11, 2021 9:41 PM
Aug 2011
Think people all are smitten by gigi sure she is probably one of the better girls in gundam which ain't saying much since they all come with their baggage. We only get about 3 action scenes with 2 of them being in the dark. It's nice it doesn't lean too much into the new type stuff but this is still one of if not the worst of the UC films.

It also doesn't help that you are supposed to root for the terrorist in yet another territorial war for the earth (even though they don't want them for themselves but to make people leave it). If anything one should be cheering for kenneth since so far he seems the only redeemable character. Everyone else is like 3 steps above quess.

I gave it a 4 but that's just because the animation is good and gigi is entertaining but there was too much talking and just unlikable characters in general.
Jul 13, 2021 7:26 AM

Jan 2013
Plotva741 said:

Extinction Rebellion + Occupy Wall Street = Hathaway's Thought
Jul 14, 2021 11:18 PM

Nov 2014
This was boring, the mecha scenes were dark and fleeting.

This was a zero sum gain story.

At most it’s a 6/10.
Jul 15, 2021 3:36 AM

Jul 2013
This is all over social media because it's set here in the Philippines, it got me curious and finally I found time to check it out since it's on Netflix anyway. I can't say I know much about this series and the lore and such, I'm as familiar about Gundam in general as much as the next anime fan. I say I see badass robots fighting then count me in.

Anyway, it was good I guess. Nothing special. I actually thought Hathaway would fuck it all up because he's letting some random girl get on his head. Glad it all worked out in the end. If the next movies are gonna be on Netflix too then I'll probably watch them as well.

Jul 17, 2021 6:11 PM

Feb 2013
I'll hold off on passing judgment until after parts 2 and 3 have aired but so far...not off to a great start.
Jul 21, 2021 1:14 AM
Jul 2014
I know this was based on a novel that was released in 1990, but it seems very contemporary and relevant to today's events with its themes. Is that was Tomino had written back then or has it been tinkered with?

Storytelling was a bit up and down, but the animation and production was beautiful and made it a breeze to watch.
Jul 22, 2021 3:05 PM

Sep 2014
I have a hard time rating this movie. I really enjoyed watching it but it also felt over way too soon. Like CCA but before they could ruin the pacing in the end they decided to call it a day and just ended it.

Not a lot was happening, which is unusual for gundam but definitely not bad. My biggest problem would probably be the lack of worldbuilding, its as if Unicorn did not exist but they instead had flashbacks from CCA which feels odd because CCA is the polar opposite of hathaways flash in many aspects. Maybe its just the age and that all the old UC stuff is so horribly paced its fair to call it garbage.

Anyway I really enjoyed watching it, surprisingly little (barely any) Newtype wank while still having the ghost from Amuro in a scene. Curious if Char will have a little scene too.

Its quite fascinating how good the UC line can be when it takes it slow, its almost as if they actually want to tell a story and not just sell toys now.

Also Gigi exists, thanks for that.

But ultimately its completely skippable, I know its just the beginning of a trilogy but I think it doesnt do more setup than a single episode would. If Hathaways flash turns out to be a really amazing trilogy I doubt people will go out of their way to watch it for this.

PS: My favourite scene was definitely the CCA half-flashback with Quess, just beautifully done.
I wish they would remake the old UC with this directing, I think the story deserves it.
Comander-07Jul 22, 2021 3:32 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» UC is over?

LegionOne - Apr 28, 2023

15 by Fail_Man_X »»
May 14, 12:49 PM

» Hathaway, Thunderbolt, and Narrative to get TV editions (Winter 2023 season)

The_Sum_of_Zero - Jan 15, 2023

2 by Champloo_Remix »»
Aug 8, 2023 10:03 AM

» What to watch before this?

Spektrum9 - Jun 10, 2021

48 by DivineLion »»
Jul 15, 2023 12:54 PM

» Did I ruin anything

Reshiram_IX - Jan 15, 2023

2 by Reshiram_IX »»
Jan 16, 2023 11:12 AM

» This looks so good

Ronninn - Sep 25, 2022

2 by ecliptyk »»
Sep 25, 2022 4:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.