Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 12, 2018 4:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So Hiyori and Kanami are getting along better now after their rocky start. Still, I find the two have such contrasting personalities in this show...

I guess the plot with the assassination made this episode feel more thrilling although I'm not really impressed on it. I'm starting to like Hiyori more though as she shows more personality in her character rather than just being cold and indifferent.

Jan 12, 2018 5:35 AM

Apr 2010
So the girls are on the run and it looks like they have a good reason for it.
Tho there could be more to the reason why the woman they attacked had the monster with her.
It probably won't be long till we find out tho seeing as the girls can't be on the run forever, and they probably won't be on the run the entire anime.
Jan 12, 2018 7:23 AM

Sep 2015
Episode 2 has revealed the most important part of the plot, simple(cliche) & straightforward but with solid story definately worth good ratings for now with no cutesy yuri stuffs in it. I can see why this has a total of 24 episodes, really can't wait how the plot leads to the final stage/boss.

Definately worth 7/10 for me at episode 2, this kind of story is much better than many anime there are.

Seriously you don't get this kind of mood often in many anime full of girls.
valvravetruthJan 12, 2018 7:42 AM
Jan 12, 2018 7:45 AM

Apr 2016
What a plot-twist, my god.

I thought that Nagato would be amongst the good guys.
Jan 12, 2018 7:57 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Still on the fence if i should continue or not.

They finally explained why Kanami did what she did.

I'm not really feeling it though and i don't know if i wanna commit.
Jan 12, 2018 9:18 AM

Jun 2015
Hiyori and Kanami are getting along fine. Looks like they have a good reason why they are running away, but for how long they plan to run away is the question. The reveal at the end is quite interesting.
Jan 12, 2018 9:19 AM

Sep 2013
The origami head is controlled by an aradama so that's why kanami bailed out, doesn't explain her not killing them so I guess origami still has some consciousness.
Mai finds them and believes her :'(
Jan 12, 2018 11:35 AM

Jan 2012
I see, so if I read that right the supreme leader isn't being possessed by one of those bug monsters but is actually just one of them in disguise? Presumably the real leader was killed long ago and Hiyori wants to avenge her. Or is it just a possession? I dunno. As my favorite girl I was hoping Mai would go with them, but 3's a crowd I guess. If the op/ed are anything to go off she should eventually anyway though, along with the other girls.
animefan8800Jan 12, 2018 11:38 AM
Jan 12, 2018 11:46 AM
Jan 2017
The Kanami and Hiyori bonding moments were cute and all, but I'm more interested in the revelation of Yukari and the Sword Administration being controlled by aradama, which helps putting Hiyori's actions against Yukari in a better context. I'm also interested to see how will Mai deal with letting Kanami and Hiyori escape.
Jan 12, 2018 12:18 PM

Aug 2013
Still not sure how to feel about this show but I guess the layers of the plot could be interesting although it feels kinda predictable as well
Don't believe the hype.
Jan 12, 2018 1:28 PM

Sep 2017
Anyone else getting Kill la Kill vibes from Yukari Origami?

Jan 12, 2018 2:29 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty good opening and ending for this.

Those 2 were on the run this entire episode and managed to be fine.

Kanami still wanted to have fun even in that situation lol.

We all love ice cream.

Ah so now we know what's going on, Origami is being controlled by the Aradama.

Kanami is pretty special, she's able to see what others cannot.
Jan 12, 2018 2:59 PM

Apr 2009
Well, can't say I didn't give it a chance. These characters just aren't that well thought out and that can only be masked through a mound of contrivances that will ultimately make no sense in the end.

While I might have put up with KanColle because I wanted to understand the love for that franchise at large, I have no such reason to suffer through this. No judgement for those who like it, but it's not doing anything for me personally.
Jan 12, 2018 3:33 PM

Apr 2012
So the Aradama are behind it all, interesting.
at least now Kanami has a better reason for tagging along than "I want to spar with you".
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Jan 12, 2018 3:45 PM

Jan 2014
Well the plot twist is interesting. Hmmmm

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 12, 2018 4:10 PM

Jun 2013
what a fucking plot twist man
Jan 12, 2018 4:58 PM

Jun 2017
That was a random plot twist but at least some kind of story is starting to form.
Jan 12, 2018 6:16 PM

Dec 2015
This series is going way too fast for my liking. I'm kind of disappointed in the animation too. Really wanted to like it because girls and katanas and such but unfortunately gonna bail on this one.
Jan 12, 2018 6:52 PM

Jun 2013
I stand by what I said about the previous episode (it's bad), but I actually didn't hate this one. The visuals are messy, there are some weird choices in the soundtrack, the script is awkward, and the plot is still as goofy as before, while also taking itself fully seriously.

But there's something charming about it all; I can't bring myself to hate it. There were some moments that made me smile (and the moment where Hiyori forgot Kanami's name was gold - Kanami is just that vanilla), and I kind of want to know what Kanami meant by "it will start to affect you too". And while the plot is pretty dumb, at least it's going somewhere. I don't have time to get bored. There is also some mystery about the connection between the two swords, and the girls' mothers if I understand correctly.

I'm still very tempted to drop this. The political scenes didn't do anything for me. The yuri subtext just started to really develop, and it's pretty clumsy. But I was able to envision a future scene where Kanami is all like "Hiyori-chan needs to value her own life more!", so it's not that bad. There's some chance that the series will commit to a "superfriends" type subtext with these two (which is also suggested by the opening), but I'm just not sure if it's really worth following.

LeeTailorJan 12, 2018 7:00 PM
Jan 12, 2018 7:42 PM

Nov 2011
My god this anime is so bad. Luckily it made me laugh at points. But my god its bad. It has some babes in it which is always good....but is it good enough to make shit better?
WTF was with the animation as well? I felt like it was copy and paste non-stop.

animefan8800 said:
I see, so if I read that right the supreme leader isn't being possessed by one of those bug monsters but is actually just one of them in disguise? Presumably the real leader was killed long ago and Hiyori wants to avenge her. Or is it just a possession? I dunno. As my favorite girl I was hoping Mai would go with them, but 3's a crowd I guess. If the op/ed are anything to go off she should eventually anyway though, along with the other girls.

I get the feeling that the leader is somehow related to Hiyori.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Fall 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 12, 2018 8:05 PM

Jan 2012
SoraSenpai said:

animefan8800 said:

I get the feeling that the leader is somehow related to Hiyori.

I'm inclined to agree though, assuming that IS correct, does that mean Hiyori had to watch her die and something else masquerade as her, or watch her get possessed by said creature? That's what I'm still not entirely sure about. Whether they're related or not actually.
Jan 12, 2018 9:35 PM

Jul 2017
A cool plot twist- but much too late.
Without any foreshadowing, it feels wrong for Mai to blindly trust Kanami about the legendary hero, Oragami, actually being an aradama. My argument is not that Mai wouldn't believe Kanami, but rather that the audience is never given a single piece of evidence that supported this assumption up until this point. Mai doesn't use any logic when accepting this fact. There are tools that detect and track aradama, yet she never questions why they wouldn't detect her as one. Oragami's team of body guards

Even for the bit of evidence one could argue for, we got it much too late in this episode. When you go into a series that is set in a real world location with fantasy elements, the use of dialogue and characters interacting is what delivers the rules for how a world works. We have gotten so little of that up to this point.

The two key factors that supposedly lead to Hiyori and Kanami realizing that Origami was an aradama, her pulling okatana out of nowhere and the eyes peeping opening for a split second as she was attacked, were not really shown in episode one. The eyes were not visible at all, even for a single frame. We were also never given the idea that her suddenly having okatana in her hands is strange- there are swords of all types all over at the tournament, why would the leader of this famous fighting family not have one?

Beyond that, there are so many unanswered questions that I expected the other characters to be asking each other. Instead, they let everything slide and question almost nothing.

This should be a drop for me, but I am enjoying basically every other anime this season. I may continue watching just so I have something to complain about.
Jan 12, 2018 10:34 PM
Nov 2017
Props to them for giving a reasonable (if bland) reason for how episode one ended, but this is still running pretty flat for me. Still don't have any emotional attachment to the characters or plot (what there is of it) at all, dunno if I'll just dumpster this before the next episode.
Jan 13, 2018 12:04 AM

Jun 2017
I think this series has potential. I want to see how the six heroines depicted in the ED will band together. Also the fight scenes go at a pace I find agreeable and I haven't really felt like it's over-stepped on anything. For a 26 episode series I think it's on a good start. I get the feeling this will be one of my favorites for the winter 2018 season.
Jan 13, 2018 4:47 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Its admirable that Kanami still worries about Hiyori at this point. Its funny that despite knowing the implications Kanami still persists on staying. Kanami really is carefree if she's able to worry about her luggage and cookies at this stage. Its nice seeing Mai risking herself to help find Kanami before the elite guard does. Kanami taking the time to sight see as while is just like her. Hiyori sure had a unexpected weakness for ice cream. For their first teamup though Kanami and Hiyori were pretty good. Mai's determination to save Kanami sure is strong. Mai's skill though is impressive at being able to force Hiyori back. An interesting episode that showed a great deal about Mai and Kanami's relationship while also advancing the plot with a surprising revelation.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2018 4:59 AM

Oct 2008
So the higher-ups are also already compromised huh...
Looks like we have an extremely strong and capable MC huh...able to handle and deflect an elite one!
wasn't expecting sudden shift change of CG...
4/5.

Jan 13, 2018 6:06 AM

Apr 2009
Looks like Kanami of Toji no Miko is my Ace of Hearts against Ichiya of Qualidea Code (well this guy is the worst MC for me)
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Jan 13, 2018 4:04 PM

Jul 2016
So... that plot twist kinda came out of nowhere. I watched ep. 1 again to make sure, but no - there was no sign of Yukari-sama being what she actually is. To be honest I'm slightly disappointed about this, I would have preferred if they at least tried to leave a hint or something - it's not fun if they all just tell us what happens when it happens, without some kind of foreshadowing, especially in a 2-coeur show.

That being said, I did appreciate this episode, overall. The extremely fast pace is actually up my alley - while it may appear to be too fast for some, I'd gladly take it over the SoL fillers we see in most other so-called "action" anime. Also, the shift in tone from a tournament setting to a pursuit plot was quite welcome and makes me wondering what will happen next. Finally, I did appreciate Hiyori breaking from her "stereotype" and showing something more than her basic stern personality, as others mentioned.

All in all, I don't expect this show to be a masterwork, but I think it'll be something I look forward to for the next weeks. Considering most anime even fail to keep me engaged these days, this one at least gives me something to wait for.
Jan 14, 2018 3:46 AM

Jul 2015
Hhhmmmmm... She decided to become a FREAKING CRIMINAL SO She could spar with some girl she knows nothing about and has known for like 20 minutes, some girl who seems to be ATTEMPTING MURDER... WHAT A MORON. And then they go TO A FREAKING FESTIVAL... and fight some ugly CG monster thing... Oh wait the head lady is apparently one of those CG things SO IT'S ALL OKAY THEN.

This anime isn't good but I'm still enjoying it anyway soooo... see yall next week.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jan 14, 2018 6:44 AM
Jun 2012
Zarator said:
So... that plot twist kinda came out of nowhere. I watched ep. 1 again to make sure, but no - there was no sign of Yukari-sama being what she actually is. To be honest I'm slightly disappointed about this, I would have preferred if they at least tried to leave a hint or something - it's not fun if they all just tell us what happens when it happens, without some kind of foreshadowing, especially in a 2-cour show.

There is this. Yukari suddenly had 2 extra swords out of nowhere when she was blocking the strike.
Jan 14, 2018 11:41 AM

Jul 2017
noireo said:
Zarator said:
So... that plot twist kinda came out of nowhere. I watched ep. 1 again to make sure, but no - there was no sign of Yukari-sama being what she actually is. To be honest I'm slightly disappointed about this, I would have preferred if they at least tried to leave a hint or something - it's not fun if they all just tell us what happens when it happens, without some kind of foreshadowing, especially in a 2-cour show.

There is this. Yukari suddenly had 2 extra swords out of nowhere when she was blocking the strike.

I talked about this point in my post above. Too many people have this complaint for it to be a simple watcher's oversight.
I don't think this is reasonable foreshadowing at all. Never for a second in the first episode were we lead to believe that her suddenly having swords is strange, random, or out of place in the slightest.

She is a legendary hero, there is magic in this world that we aren't given all the rules of, and no character reacts to her suddenly having swords as if it is strange.

Because we don't get a hint that this is not normal until the characters talk about them in episode 2, there is no reason to believe that Origami is doing something out of the ordinary.

I have gone back and watched the first episode to really see if I missed something and I feel confident in saying that I didn't- its just not there. Its not effective foreshadowing, and that is really holding this series back for me.
Jan 14, 2018 1:51 PM

Jul 2016
noireo said:
Zarator said:

Heh that's not much. Though, tbh I don't mind it too much - I mean, good foreshadowing is rare in anime anyway, so I'm not gonna insist anymore on it. Frankly, as long as the anime is going down the route it is paving so far, I'll enjoy it - certainly more than certain "traditional" anime of this season like Violet Evergarden or FranXX
Jan 14, 2018 6:35 PM

Dec 2009
I'm impressed by this, it's a lot better than i expected. Whoever are giving it such a low rating must be retarded or something.

Granted they could have kept up the mystery longer, but oh well. This ha potential from the start.

Anyone who knows jackshit about swordplay and interactions between swordsmen (like in samurai tales etc), knows that this is really growing into a good form. Details such as how Kanami is willing to follow a rival long and far for a chance to have a 100% 1v1 with them... As well as the senses of masters being able to notice when individuals have motive and not to question it like a moron but seek to find what it is. Being alble to detect the difference between what someone feels they have to do vs something someone does out of malice. Sometimes someone did do something worthy of revenge, that vengeance is not your business to stop without knowing anything. "Preserve all life indiscriminately" is a strange western philosophy, where preserving life seems to take precedent over all deeds - which is not the case in cultures of other philosophies.

And other details, such as how everyone was kept in place as the 2 of them left after an assassination attempt, it was a well educated depiction of emergency response protocol.

They were pretty cleverly subtle about things, such as how they mentioned things like "if you give Yukari <one of those fancy swords>, she's the most powerful", clarifying her status as relatively unarmed, before suddenly pulling blades. @noireo @Aubreebree @Zarator
. . . Good situation setup doesn't have to be obvious; that's just a tool for the slow-witted consumer. There wasn't much foreshadowing, because they didn't give any prior clues really to why Hiyori leaped in the first place, but the suddenness in this case was intentional, as you the watcher are riding yolo as Kanami is.
Now if only they had shown this (the eye or even some orange glow of any kind in her hair) in like 1 or 2 frames in the original scene, so you, as the watcher, would have also had the opportunity to have quick eyes like Kanami or not if you didn't catch it.

That's just personal advice i would have given to the director, or done myself if i were the director.
That said, saying why Hiyori is doing what she's doing, or at least what she believe to be the case (which may ultimately turn out to be wrong by the way, which could be why nothing was shown), makes a lot more sense than withholding it annoyingly with a stubborn stupid idiot character, which these girls OBVIOUSLY aren't stupid.

Anime like these never deserve such discredit just because they're not fancy like Violet Evergarden, or aren't mainstream hype-train. I bet most people have it stuck in their skulls that this is just another stupid girls battle school thing anime like Schoolgirl Strikers or something.

And these girls have an interesting character dynamic, as i said, like a samurai movie. And how none of these girls are stupid - i like that. A lot of thought goes on in individual altercations at lightning speed, and it spends the time to clarify naturally what thought went on in that moment after the fact. It's a classic style anime, but has a lot more to it than initially apparent, and not really for laymen, kinda like Garakowa. It may turn out to be mediocre, but thus far it's doing quite well.

@matias067 You people have way too much skill in detecting pointless thing like whether it's cg or not. Sure it's noticeable if you really want to notice, but it's not THAT blatant. It's not even jarring when anime do this, it's pretty consistent, it's just for distant character movements to save some work.

@DuoraDoll you obviously aren't around much samurai fiction.
GenesisAriaJan 14, 2018 7:08 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 15, 2018 2:27 AM

Aug 2014
This is shaping up to be interesting, was glad my intuition was right to stick with this even with the weird looking CG enemies and somewhat poor cinematography in the first episode. I could tell that the characters of this show were going somewhere, and this episode didn't disappoint.

Looking forward to watching this all the way through this season. It is 2-cour though, so it could still totally crash and burn (a la Sousei no Onmyoji). We'll have to see! It certainly has my attention though. It's still only 7/10 for me at the moment, and I don't see it going much higher than that. But, if the stars align and it delivers an some fantastic character development it could MAYBE end up with an 8/10 rating. (I think it's way more likely for it to crash and burn though)
Jan 15, 2018 2:54 AM

Jun 2012
Well, Nagato being an Abyssal, I mean - Origami being an Aradama at least mixes things up. Maybe episode 3 will keep a few of the people left from jumping off the fence. anyone else notice the lack of ambient sound effects like cars and the rain at points?

I said last episode I would be following this show for Yoshinori's Iowa, I mean - Ellen, and I meant it. Nothing more than a moment in this episode, but it is obvious she will be this show's fanservice Queen, can't wait for her part in the inevitable hotsprings episode. She's a half-breed Q.T.

Jan 15, 2018 3:05 AM

Jul 2015
GenesisAria said:
I'm impressed by this, it's a lot better than i expected. Whoever are giving it such a low rating must be retarded or something.

Granted they could have kept up the mystery longer, but oh well. This ha potential from the start.

Anyone who knows jackshit about swordplay and interactions between swordsmen (like in samurai tales etc), knows that this is really growing into a good form. Details such as how Kanami is willing to follow a rival long and far for a chance to have a 100% 1v1 with them... As well as the senses of masters being able to notice when individuals have motive and not to question it like a moron but seek to find what it is. Being alble to detect the difference between what someone feels they have to do vs something someone does out of malice. Sometimes someone did do something worthy of revenge, that vengeance is not your business to stop without knowing anything. "Preserve all life indiscriminately" is a strange western philosophy, where preserving life seems to take precedent over all deeds - which is not the case in cultures of other philosophies.

And other details, such as how everyone was kept in place as the 2 of them left after an assassination attempt, it was a well educated depiction of emergency response protocol.

They were pretty cleverly subtle about things, such as how they mentioned things like "if you give Yukari <one of those fancy swords>, she's the most powerful", clarifying her status as relatively unarmed, before suddenly pulling blades. @noireo @Aubreebree @Zarator
. . . Good situation setup doesn't have to be obvious; that's just a tool for the slow-witted consumer. There wasn't much foreshadowing, because they didn't give any prior clues really to why Hiyori leaped in the first place, but the suddenness in this case was intentional, as you the watcher are riding yolo as Kanami is.
Now if only they had shown this (the eye or even some orange glow of any kind in her hair) in like 1 or 2 frames in the original scene, so you, as the watcher, would have also had the opportunity to have quick eyes like Kanami or not if you didn't catch it.

That's just personal advice i would have given to the director, or done myself if i were the director.
That said, saying why Hiyori is doing what she's doing, or at least what she believe to be the case (which may ultimately turn out to be wrong by the way, which could be why nothing was shown), makes a lot more sense than withholding it annoyingly with a stubborn stupid idiot character, which these girls OBVIOUSLY aren't stupid.

Anime like these never deserve such discredit just because they're not fancy like Violet Evergarden, or aren't mainstream hype-train. I bet most people have it stuck in their skulls that this is just another stupid girls battle school thing anime like Schoolgirl Strikers or something.

And these girls have an interesting character dynamic, as i said, like a samurai movie. And how none of these girls are stupid - i like that. A lot of thought goes on in individual altercations at lightning speed, and it spends the time to clarify naturally what thought went on in that moment after the fact. It's a classic style anime, but has a lot more to it than initially apparent, and not really for laymen, kinda like Garakowa. It may turn out to be mediocre, but thus far it's doing quite well.

@matias067 You people have way too much skill in detecting pointless thing like whether it's cg or not. Sure it's noticeable if you really want to notice, but it's not THAT blatant. It's not even jarring when anime do this, it's pretty consistent, it's just for distant character movements to save some work.

@DuoraDoll you obviously aren't around much samurai fiction.

No I am not good sir, I'm mostly around moe slice-of-life anime and or anything with some high quality cute girls, nintendo games, and tumblr... God I live a crappy life. Anyway I am by no means a serious about the anime that I watch, I can catch some stuff but I usually don't get deep into it and sit there analyzing stuff.

But I do compare the anime I watch to others, and right off the bat, this anime has left a pretty bad impression that essentially killed it for me. From my perspective, what I saw while watching this was the basic edgy rival girl with a weapon attempting murder for some unexplained but probably deep and tragic reason that will be explained later, and the typical hype girl MC who wants to be friends with everyone assisting the attacker. The characters, story, and monsters aren't fleshed out enough to figure anything out in just these two episode. They should have taken more time to build up the world rather than just drop us into the middle of the battlefield.
Jan 15, 2018 3:16 AM

Jun 2016
I really feel bad for dropping this show, but it's one of those shows that I think it ain't worth my time. I'm so lost most of the time and it didn't--at least once--gave me a reason to be hooked on it. :/

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 15, 2018 3:31 AM

Jul 2016
DuoraDoll said:
Hhhmmmmm... She decided to become a FREAKING CRIMINAL SO She could spar with some girl she knows nothing about and has known for like 20 minutes, some girl who seems to be ATTEMPTING MURDER... WHAT A MORON. And then they go TO A FREAKING FESTIVAL... and fight some ugly CG monster thing... Oh wait the head lady is apparently one of those CG things SO IT'S ALL OKAY THEN.

This anime isn't good but I'm still enjoying it anyway soooo... see yall next week.

So basically, if you were in Kanami's place, and saw that eye behind Yukari-sama as she did, you still wouldn't believe Hiyori and/or attempt to protect her? Really?
Jan 15, 2018 8:22 AM
Mar 2012
Havent seen choco mint icecream in anime for quite awhile.
Story seems interesting so far with the Origami/aradama. Tho Kanami's reason to stay with Hiyori seems retarded, be on the run just for a chance to spar really?
That CG/2D switching similar to kancolle or ChainChronicle, ok for saving on 2 cour.
Jan 15, 2018 9:22 AM

Jul 2016
gophercg said:
Story seems interesting so far with the Origami/aradama. Tho Kanami's reason to stay with Hiyori seems retarded, be on the run just for a chance to spar really?
That CG/2D switching similar to kancolle or ChainChronicle, ok for saving on 2 cour.

Again, Kanami mentioned in this episode that she also noticed something was off with Yukari, so she had additional reason to at least side with Hiyori rather than letting her die
Jan 15, 2018 10:00 AM

Dec 2009
DuoraDoll said:
GenesisAria said:

No I am not good sir, I'm mostly around moe slice-of-life anime and or anything with some high quality cute girls, nintendo games, and tumblr... God I live a crappy life. Anyway I am by no means a serious about the anime that I watch, I can catch some stuff but I usually don't get deep into it and sit there analyzing stuff.

But I do compare the anime I watch to others, and right off the bat, this anime has left a pretty bad impression that essentially killed it for me. From my perspective, what I saw while watching this was the basic edgy rival girl with a weapon attempting murder for some unexplained but probably deep and tragic reason that will be explained later, and the typical hype girl MC who wants to be friends with everyone assisting the attacker. The characters, story, and monsters aren't fleshed out enough to figure anything out in just these two episode. They should have taken more time to build up the world rather than just drop us into the middle of the battlefield.

A) She's not edgy
B) she explained exactly why she did it, quite clearly.

As i said, none of these girls are stupid, there's not edgy stupid stuff, they're very clear and resolved about their actions and motives. Hiyori believes she's absolutely doing the right thing by everyone in doing what she did. Kanami, being an experienced swordsman and having keen senses, trusts Hiyori's determination, even if she's a rival. When it comes to the interpersonal battlefield, resolve is more poignant than any state of friend or foe. If in your enemies, you have to understand their motive an trust their determination to appropriately respond to it. Being a moralfag is just plain dumb (and will get you killed).

There wasn't much to build, and by this point, it's clear the style is to do the exact opposite, and more akin to the mentality of warriors: act now, assess later. The characters have been fleshed out quite a lot for 2 episodes actually, we know quite a bit about these 2 girls. As i said before, it's the type of anime that's supposed to be for viewers who're more accustomed to picking up on a lot of detail from brief exposure.

...Such as, we know Hiyori's family died in fire (probably by aradama), we know she's a very serious yet good person, her actions are justified given what she says is true. She's forthcoming if need be, so she's not the impregnable stubborn twat she may seemed to have been at first. She's also got all these letters that are left around, i can't remember what their purpose was, but they're pre-planned.
...Kanami is a kenjutsu geek (representative of target audience of the anime), and is fascinated by all types. She thought something was off with Yukari as well; Hiyori was about to get killed after assassination attempt, Kanami wasn't about to let that happen. Unlike most mc's you'd expect she's been demonstrated to be extremely keen and quick witted, with well refined senses. She picked up on a lot and made a lot of important decisions in a very split moment - it happened so fast that they had to spend the entire second episode to address what happened in that moment.
...these's plenty of other fine details in personalities and such that could be pointed out as well but not as relevant. Compared to a lot of anime of similar or not so similar genre, that's an at least par is not above par amount of stuff addressed in 2 episodes, any more and it would have been too dense.

ps: i've almost certainly watched more cute moe nichijoukei than you lol . . . you don't need to restrict yourself to specific genres... anime is a beautiful gift. Also, this was samurai girls all over right from the start, it was on the ads and cover, so not sure what you expected. This is way better than some broken dumb friendship is magic plot.

pps: i don't really analyze anime that often... if you want to see a true analysis, look at my post about Kimi n Na wa where i address very thoroughly all of the questionable aspects of the movie.
GenesisAriaJan 15, 2018 10:18 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 15, 2018 2:29 PM

May 2012
Why the score is too low !! The show is not that bad

I'm glad that it also got 24 episodes
Jan 15, 2018 4:22 PM
Mar 2012
Zarator said:
gophercg said:

Again, Kanami mentioned in this episode that she also noticed something was off with Yukari, so she had additional reason to at least side with Hiyori rather than letting her die

Yes she saw the aradama eye. But she could've said this as the reason instead of wanting to spar when Hiyori asked, or even not say any reason until Mai confronted them. It just gives a nagging question of why did Kanami hide about the aradama till much later.
Jan 15, 2018 4:56 PM

Jul 2016
gophercg said:

Yes she saw the aradama eye. But she could've said this as the reason instead of wanting to spar when Hiyori asked, or even not say any reason until Mai confronted them. It just gives a nagging question of why did Kanami hide about the aradama till much later.

You are overthinking it, IMO. As far as I've seen so far, Kanami is a very impulsive person. She might not have reflected over what she saw until Hiyori mentioned it specifically, but simply used it as a hint to decide how to act. Even her declared motivation of wanting to duel with Hiyori later, at times, feels more like a justification she makes up rather than what she really feels - because, deep down, she doesn't know herself what she ultimately wants. She's that kind of person, apparently.

Does this make her a moron? I don't think so. A person can be impulsive, instinctive, without being a moron. Even if Kanami didn't really think through what she saw, she still acted correctly over the hints she did see (Hiyori not feeling like a bad person or a murderer, Yukari looking a bit off etc.). Really, you guys seem to just be unwilling to accept that Kanami doesn't really care about the sort of stuff you seem to care, and this doesn't necessarily diminish her as a person or anything.

Jan 15, 2018 7:13 PM
Mar 2009
Not really getting into this series, almost quit twice in the first half of this episode. At least now we know why she made the assassination attempt. Unfortunately, I think I may already have a negative bias on this series.

I'll give it one or two more.
Jan 15, 2018 10:13 PM

Jul 2015
Zarator said:
DuoraDoll said:

So basically, if you were in Kanami's place, and saw that eye behind Yukari-sama as she did, you still wouldn't believe Hiyori and/or attempt to protect her? Really?

The fault probably lies with me and some details I probably missed and/or forgot about already, I can't say I've been paying much attention to what was going on. This was more the impression I got through the episode as things progressed, and Yukari-sama apparently being one of those monsters just seems... a little too sudden to me.
Jan 15, 2018 10:39 PM

Jul 2015
GenesisAria said:
DuoraDoll said:

A) She's not edgy
B) she explained exactly why she did it, quite clearly.

As i said, none of these girls are stupid, there's not edgy stupid stuff, they're very clear and resolved about their actions and motives. Hiyori believes she's absolutely doing the right thing by everyone in doing what she did. Kanami, being an experienced swordsman and having keen senses, trusts Hiyori's determination, even if she's a rival. When it comes to the interpersonal battlefield, resolve is more poignant than any state of friend or foe. If in your enemies, you have to understand their motive an trust their determination to appropriately respond to it. Being a moralfag is just plain dumb (and will get you killed).

There wasn't much to build, and by this point, it's clear the style is to do the exact opposite, and more akin to the mentality of warriors: act now, assess later. The characters have been fleshed out quite a lot for 2 episodes actually, we know quite a bit about these 2 girls. As i said before, it's the type of anime that's supposed to be for viewers who're more accustomed to picking up on a lot of detail from brief exposure.

...Such as, we know Hiyori's family died in fire (probably by aradama), we know she's a very serious yet good person, her actions are justified given what she says is true. She's forthcoming if need be, so she's not the impregnable stubborn twat she may seemed to have been at first. She's also got all these letters that are left around, i can't remember what their purpose was, but they're pre-planned.
...Kanami is a kenjutsu geek (representative of target audience of the anime), and is fascinated by all types. She thought something was off with Yukari as well; Hiyori was about to get killed after assassination attempt, Kanami wasn't about to let that happen. Unlike most mc's you'd expect she's been demonstrated to be extremely keen and quick witted, with well refined senses. She picked up on a lot and made a lot of important decisions in a very split moment - it happened so fast that they had to spend the entire second episode to address what happened in that moment.
...these's plenty of other fine details in personalities and such that could be pointed out as well but not as relevant. Compared to a lot of anime of similar or not so similar genre, that's an at least par is not above par amount of stuff addressed in 2 episodes, any more and it would have been too dense.

ps: i've almost certainly watched more cute moe nichijoukei than you lol . . . you don't need to restrict yourself to specific genres... anime is a beautiful gift. Also, this was samurai girls all over right from the start, it was on the ads and cover, so not sure what you expected. This is way better than some broken dumb friendship is magic plot.

pps: i don't really analyze anime that often... if you want to see a true analysis, look at my post about Kimi n Na wa where i address very thoroughly all of the questionable aspects of the movie.

Hmmmm... Okay yeah, I'm gonna have to accept defeat on this one. I'm not good at arguing and I am very easily persuaded... probably a little to easily... Anyway, I can't say I've been paying much attention to the anime. As I said, the opening fight against the Aradama in the first episode left a bad taste in my mouth and my expectations took a nose dive of the roof of the school. I already kind of see this anime in a negative light which I will probably need to change. Seeing as this is 24 episodes long, I probably won't last long if I keep up this bias.

ps: I don't really restrict myself much, in fact I would argue that I don't restrict myself enough. I've been watching like 30 different anime each season for the past few years now I think, and then I've got junk lined up for when I have to wait for more episodes to come out. But the Moe stuff just seems to be the most enjoyable to me for whatever reason.
Jan 17, 2018 6:50 AM

Jun 2016
TheDoggoneGirl said:
I really feel bad for dropping this show, but it's one of those shows that I think it ain't worth my time. I'm so lost most of the time and it didn't--at least once--gave me a reason to be hooked on it. :/

Never mind. I decided to give the show a chance. Hahaha. That plot twist. What the fuck.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 18, 2018 4:39 AM

Mar 2009
Why the sudden plot twist? It's the 2nd episode! We barely know anything about the characters, let alone the world and the story behind it all. Would have made more sense to reveal this later on.

And I almost forgot about the Aradama, considering the poor world-building. This show is all over the place...
Feb 1, 2018 2:58 AM

Jul 2009
I was not expecting the big reveal so soon! I think they would let something so big to the end or something...so the leader is a Aradama. And now is explained all Kanami decided to abandon her best friend and help a stranger.
I was expecting Mai would follow Kanami...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2018

43 by nhkam »»
Jul 13, 9:33 AM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - May 4, 2018

25 by Foreall908 »»
Dec 8, 2023 12:32 PM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - May 11, 2018

27 by Destroyer31 »»
Mar 28, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

17 by IAMQT »»
Oct 21, 2022 12:06 PM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 21 Discussion

Rob - Dec 29, 2018

2 by I-yas-yes »»
Jul 29, 2022 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.