3It was OK
15.9%
2Disliked it
0.5%
1Hated it
4.8%
Average 4.2
189 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 6, 2013 9:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Susanna has a nice cosplay outfit, just saying.

The OP song was okay I guess, kinda catchy. This face was brilliant. Shinobu reference from Monogatari spotted!

Glad it's back tbh. I think I can also get used to the new voices soon.
Jul 6, 2013 9:28 AM
Dec 2012
The series is back. The episode was just like introduction of the characters. This anime also has scissors and trap.
Jul 6, 2013 10:24 AM

Sep 2012
I seriously wonder if they deliberately schedule this show to air right after Monogatari in the same night:

So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 6, 2013 10:54 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
I seriously wonder if they deliberately schedule this show to air right after Monogatari in the same night:

That would be pretty funny, though probably just a coincidence. That scene was written 2-3 years ago in the manga and unfortunately it's the only bakemonogatari reference that I recall.

But still, glad this show is back, bring on the BL obsession! It will be funny to see the reactions of the same people going crazy on Free. Wonder how they are going to take it.

Small bitch, Ogiue's voice is the only one I really think is wrong. It's too soft and polite for her. They also made her too cute. Her edge was what I liked most about the previous series. Still, that aside, would rather have this and a second series than that and NOT have a second series.
Takuan_SohoJul 6, 2013 11:58 AM
Jul 6, 2013 11:04 AM

Nov 2011

So adorable. I hope to see more references later on in the upcoming episodes as well!
Jul 6, 2013 12:47 PM

Jul 2012
Kyaa Sue will be the best in this season :) Shame it's so poorly animated though.
Jul 6, 2013 12:48 PM

Aug 2009
It would be exellent episode, if not for the cast. Give me back original Madarame and Ohno.
Jul 6, 2013 12:54 PM

Jun 2009
just fucking glorious
Jul 6, 2013 12:55 PM

Oct 2007
When Sue called Madarame "Rararame-san"... I laughed.

So happy to have Genshiken back ♥
Jul 6, 2013 1:04 PM

May 2012
Genshiken is back!!!

08:05 umu umu... fujoshi saakuru da ne.

08:53 phrigging trap

12:14 dat Madarame expression

LOL.
Sue <3
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jul 6, 2013 1:17 PM

Sep 2012
ahh! it's finally here!
who would guess that the new girl was a crossdresser o_o?
anyway,amazing and funny first episode! i love Susanna's personality so much!
Jul 6, 2013 1:20 PM
Sep 2012
Is it a sequel to Genshiken and Genshiken 2 or is this a stand alone anime?
Jul 6, 2013 1:25 PM

Nov 2012
My word, thought it was some kind of a remake or something!?
It's like a total continuation, so great to see everyone again.
Madarame, missed you bro!

rofl, those monogatari references,
Ohno looking a bit different, feeling somewhat a lack of personality from the old cast, which is to be expected since it's different I guess, feels a bit like there are too many new characters, with all the old ones becoming sidecharacters now.
Also, anyone is oguie dating sasahara officially now?
OrevatafJul 6, 2013 1:29 PM

Jul 6, 2013 1:29 PM

May 2013
It is here!! Cool to see the Monogatari references.

I love Sue. Good to see her in the club.

The whole time I thought Yajima was a guy, but I was wrong lol.
Jul 6, 2013 1:33 PM

Jan 2013
HNNNNNGGGG!! Sue is so adorable. *__*
Jul 6, 2013 1:35 PM

Nov 2012
babymilo91 said:

No kiddin', was like not sure if boobs or manboobs.

Jul 6, 2013 1:59 PM

Aug 2009
I just knew it's gotta be Madarame's apartment :D
Fire Emblem Heroes - 9261576256
Jul 6, 2013 1:59 PM

Sep 2011
uh i thought it's ok if i watched this without checking the previous season..
turned out am completely wrong :<
Jul 6, 2013 2:03 PM

Jun 2012
Tasmosuth said:
Is it a sequel to Genshiken and Genshiken 2 or is this a stand alone anime?
It's a sequel, but I think you can watch it without any knowledge of the other 2 series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2013 2:10 PM

Jun 2012
Orevataf said:
babymilo91 said:

No kiddin', was like not sure if boobs or manboobs.

Same here I had to check the character bios just to be sure.
I haven't watched the original series but I just happened to see this while I was checking out the new anime. It was decent, Sue was funny and most of the characters were as well.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Jul 6, 2013 2:36 PM

Apr 2011
Really glad this series is back, it was always one of the best SoL dealing with the otaku. I never read the manga(probably will at some point), so this was a semi surprise as to how this season would be. I knew the fujoshi girl became the club leader, and that most members left, but I expected them to just kind of replace the others with new male members. I like that all the girls are different, and they didn't just sell out and ad in more moe' characters like the foreign girl(they kind of did, but there's still balance between the different characters). Loved it, this seems like it might surpass the other seasons.
Jul 6, 2013 2:43 PM

May 2012
So excited! And I am glad that the old characters are still making an appearance. Especially my all time fave Madarame! Hehe. And it seems that he still likes Saki.

And Sue is cute as ever. I was laughing when she went to Madarame's apartment and stuttered (good thing I had watched Bakemonogatari before to get that reference).

And I was surprised that Oguie and Sasahara are already dating! I hope they can show a little flashback on how did it happen since it was the one I was totally waiting for in the previous season.

Seems like there will be more BL too since Oguie is the Pres now. I miss Oguie's old hairstyle already.
Jul 6, 2013 2:58 PM

Feb 2012
Muahaha!! Couldn't get over Sue's perfect cosplaying of shinobu! I love that they showed Madarame facial expression when Saki showed up
Jul 6, 2013 2:59 PM
May 2012
just watched 2eps of the initial genshiken and started this only because of production i.g. doing it,
so far i am not really fond of the circle mainly consisting of fujoshi and female otaku, makes it seem like they are predominant nowadays what is apparantly the case though ...
Jul 6, 2013 3:21 PM

Mar 2013
Man, I loved original Genshiken. It covered genearl otaku issues. I only got to see Genshiken 2 once all the way through. I thought 2 pushed the envelope with all the eroge. The series will take it even further. We still need them to cover loli-cons.

*No. I haven't read the manga. le sigh*
Jul 6, 2013 3:24 PM

Jan 2013
Havent seen the first two seasons.

This was pretty good.
4/5
Jul 6, 2013 3:48 PM

Nov 2007
It's begun! lol @ FukuJun's voice for Kuchiki. OP as recruitment, so real OP clip might come out next ep.

I think they just put lots of things in ep.1 (at least I think they just revealed of Hato's identity so fast (faster than manga)). Hato's female voice was kind of like Yui Makino's. Well, it's like the ep. is the reveal of Hato. Though it was a nice place to end this ep.

Kousaka!! (though just a bit) ED is nice.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 6, 2013 4:18 PM

Apr 2011
Can already tell this will be the most underrated show of this season :(
Jul 6, 2013 4:25 PM
Jun 2011
Ah sue... she's going to be awesome. I'm so happy to see this made into anime
Jul 6, 2013 4:35 PM

Aug 2009
broodo has right.

look at my profil. I have geshinken as number 3 in my best anime list favourite ect.

I just love "geshinken", but this new series is not old beautiful geshinkenem. It's not the climate, the otaku. This becomes a series of gender-bender, and it does not define an otaku. Too bad. For me, this anime is a profanation of and get up in advance the lowest rating.

As if it was a new separate series, then I would call it a nice comedy.
Jul 6, 2013 4:40 PM

Apr 2011
mareczek65 said:
broodo has right.

look at my profil. I have geshinken as number 3 in my best anime list favourite ect.

I just love "geshinken", but this new series is not old beautiful geshinkenem. It's not the climate, the otaku. This becomes a series of gender-bender, and it does not define an otaku. Too bad. For me, this anime is a profanation of and get up in advance the lowest rating.

As if it was a new separate series, then I would call it a nice comedy.

The other seasons had cross dressing and Ogiue's obsession with boy love... I'm kind of surprised you have Genshiken in your top 5 yet didn't enjoy this. Too each their own I guess...
Jul 6, 2013 4:46 PM
Oct 2007
What have they done to my poor Ohno? they ruined her voice, and changed her character design. Oguie needs to wear the paintbrush hair all the time :P
Jul 6, 2013 5:21 PM

May 2012
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i can barely contain my excitement over this

kuchiki animated was glorious
yajima and yoshitake are already great

i did not mind most of the new VAs, kuchiki is an alright replacement, ohno is pretty far but still somewhat fitting.
I was pretty bothered by madarame's change when I heard but it fits alright too ;_;

genshiken just too good to complain about
lol @ the last scene with madarame - "wait what? what am I doing?" lool
Jul 6, 2013 5:42 PM

Feb 2008
Oh god, this was so good. I wasn't sure what to expect after the new designs and seiyuu changes but it seems there was really nothing to worry about. It feels fresh but retains the same charm as the original series.

And Ogiue is as cute as ever.
Jul 6, 2013 5:46 PM

Mar 2008
Some of the new voice actors bother me, but it was quite a decent start.
Jul 6, 2013 6:33 PM

Apr 2009
so Genshiken evolved from how a mostly male otaku group worked, then a mix of different types of otaku, and now, mostly fujoshis? new stuff to see i guess.. they weren't kidding with second gen as just a replacement of characters..
Jul 6, 2013 8:12 PM
Aug 2012
lol Saki has Misaka voice from Railgun
Jul 6, 2013 8:29 PM

Jan 2008
Too bad some voice actors couldn't come back to reprise their roles. At least their replacements did a good job with suiting the characters, even if they may sound totally different. An example of this is Okitsu Kazuyuki replacing Hiyama Nobuyuki for the voice of Madarame. And I just noticed Hiyama voiced two characters with Madarame as their surname as I type this.

I'm glad Ogiue doesn't have the hairbrush ahoge anymore. It makes her look more mature without it.

Sue is adorable.
Jul 6, 2013 8:29 PM

Apr 2010
It feels good to be back. Looks like it's going to be another strange season.

Jul 6, 2013 8:58 PM

Aug 2011
Ehh it was okay, not really into it yet.

Hope it picks up for me. :/
Jul 6, 2013 9:25 PM

Mar 2012
Can I watch this without having seen the previous seasons?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 6, 2013 9:29 PM
Oct 2012
Araby said:

Yes, it would increase your enjoyment if you have seen the previous series (plus they are really worth watching on their own since they are some of the best material on the Otaku in Japan), but you don't need to have watch them to enjoy this series.

The previous episode had most of the characters graduating, this represents the "new" class which has very different tastes, so it can stand alone.
Jul 6, 2013 10:08 PM

Mar 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Araby said:

Yes, it would increase your enjoyment if you have seen the previous series (plus they are really worth watching on their own since they are some of the best material on the Otaku in Japan), but you don't need to have watch them to enjoy this series.

The previous episode had most of the characters graduating, this represents the "new" class which has very different tastes, so it can stand alone.
Sounds good, thanks. I've seen a few episodes of the first season, so I might just finish that up before jumping into this one.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 6, 2013 10:28 PM

Feb 2013
This art is interesting...

Why is this show rated R!? Doesn't seem like it, lol

Hato-kun that crossdresser~~
Jul 6, 2013 11:01 PM
Apr 2008
Sicilian said:
It would be exellent episode, if not for the cast. Give me back original Madarame and Ohno.

I totally agree with you.
Jul 7, 2013 12:22 AM
Mar 2011
awesome start. the cosplays continues. love that Sue is in this. i guess monogatari is for epi1. wonder what the next cosplays would be. cant wait!!
"....i am the villain in this story"
Jul 7, 2013 12:28 AM

Feb 2012
very lighthearted and heartwarming anime.

Btw, Am i missing out so much since i already started off with the third installment of the show given the fact that i haven't seen the previous shows?
Jul 7, 2013 1:33 AM
Apr 2008
pizza_012 said:
very lighthearted and heartwarming anime.

Btw, Am i missing out so much since i already started off with the third installment of the show given the fact that i haven't seen the previous shows?

It's Not Like Your Missing That Much. I Mean, Since The Most Of The Genshiken Members Graduated At The Second Season. The Story Here Begins As A New One. Well I Personanly Recomend Seeing The Previous Season, If You Want To Know More About The Supporting Characters. Well They Where Once The Main Characters. =)
Jul 7, 2013 1:37 AM

Feb 2012
Dang, I miss this series! I'm glad they made a continuation season! I'm loving the new characters, but I'm missing the old ones as well.

I hope the old ones like Saki, Kousaka, Sasahara, Madarame, etc. would have more screen time. I miss their antics and how Kousaka would be a total otaku while Saki tries to change him or get embarrassed when they're out in public.

It'd be great if their was a new member who is a total naive (good looking) otaku like Kousaka.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Jul 7, 2013 1:40 AM
Apr 2008
Lol I Thought This Anime Ended With The Second Season. Awesome More Genshiken =)
It's Like A New Generation. =) Well The Former Main Characters Are Now Support. =(
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2013

93 by Heleos93 »»
Sep 27, 11:41 PM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

90 by Forum »»
Jun 24, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2013

43 by Forum »»
Jun 20, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2013

71 by asbest0sdust »»
Jun 5, 11:38 AM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2013

44 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 1, 11:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.