3It was OK
17.9%
2Disliked it
5.1%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.2
39 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 24, 2012 7:57 PM

Jun 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A very decent attempt to turn a small part of a very long series into a single story. It feels disjointed at the part with Jagi and a few others places (what happened to Airi? What happened to Yuria in the final fight sequence?) but it works pretty well.

Shin and Raoh's characterizations suffers from having less time to work with, but Yuria and Lynn are much better than they were in the TV series. Yuria has more personality (which isn't saying much since she had almost none in the series) with her desire to see plants grow again and taking initiative to escape Shin. Lynn acts more like the small child she's always looked like, which is better than the bland, one-note personality she had in the series, and reenforces her identity as a child, which is important to the changes made to her character.

This movie is also much, much better at the post-apocalyptic atmosphere as the Earth's barrenness is frequently brought up, cultivating a sense of despair, with Yuria's desire to redeem the world (and Lynn's small success at doing so) as a counterpoint.

Lynn's psychic powers are a little odd, but I think it works fairly well as a "children are the future" idea. That Raoh felt that she grew that flower was extremely important is pretty interesting. The film is subtitled "The Legend of the End-of-Century Savior", which is something that Ken is called in the TV series but I wonder if there's an intended double-meaning with it also referring to Lynn.

Speaking of which, the scene where Lynn convinces Airi to open her eyes was great. I prefer it to all the melodramatic masculine sentiment from the TV series.

Adaptations which have the guts to really change the source material seem to be rarer than they used to be, which is a shame. It can really lend new light to things. The Space Adventure Cobra movie is another good example.
Aug 10, 2013 2:47 AM

Nov 2012
Violent as hell.
Mar 6, 2014 10:53 PM

Jul 2013
I was pleasantly surprised by Michael McConnohie's acting on this one (Shin)

He is a great voice actor when he put's effort but most of the time he just collect's the paycheck. This one wasn't one of those gigs.

The movie itself was pretty good overall for people that like this sort of thing but the ending was big letdown if you ask me. The movie look's gorgeous at times.
May 1, 2014 1:06 AM

Jun 2012
I loved it..! The music was groovy, the animation dark, the action gory, and best of all, Kenshiro being the manly beast that he is.
Jun 5, 2016 8:39 PM
Jan 2008
I really don't know WHAT I was thinking when I stumbled into this movie. Perhaps the fault of it is squeezing 100 episodes into a movie, which explains why the plot is so messy, but the real problem with the movie is that it is simply bad, no questions asked. There are some moments of lovely animation, but the story is a mess, the characters are all mono-dimensional and lacking in anything in the way of a personality, and the voice acting is terrible. In fact, I could very well consider this Streamline dub of "Fist of the North Star" one of the worst dubs of all time, featuring some truly dreadful misfires from everyone involved. Michael McConnohie is miscast in the movie, and either sounds Shatneresque in his delivery or overacts. The same is true with everybody else. Apparently the script adaptation was very goofy as well. Either way, I absolutely detest both this movie and the dub, and I cannot recommend either.
Aug 6, 2016 5:45 PM

Feb 2013
Not bad.
I didn't like how they killed Shin though.
Aug 24, 2016 12:56 AM

Feb 2015
Note: I did not watch the series this was based on.

This made me laugh in a lot of places - whether it was the extreme violence, the hyper-masculinity, the OP shows of force, or the cheesiness. The world building felt very Mad Max - I often felt like I was watching Mad Max just with martial arts added in. When I read the creator was heavily inspired by Mad Max, that all made sense.

As a fan of post-apocalyptic/dystopian stories, I enjoyed the imagery they showed of their broken world.

Jan 4, 2017 3:28 PM

Aug 2012
I just rewatched this with the dub for the first time and I have to say the dub is pretty decent and well acted, much better than I had expected. Sure it's not a good translation but the dub is certainly worth the experience.

I enjoyed revisiting this film as I had a sudden urge for some HnK action and this provides it
Mar 4, 2018 1:19 PM

Oct 2015
The Duel between Ken and Raoh was great, too bad Ken lost. But I want to point senseless things that the movie contained, like why didn't Raoh finish Ken after Lynn told him to stop and Where did Yuria go in such a short time? The movie had a inconsistency even if I haven't watched the series yet. I didn't understand too when Raoh said to Lynn she was the one who called him, but for what, since he said he wanted to conquer the heavens themselves?

I didn't get anything tangible from the movie, but maybe I will check out the series sometime in the future.

But 7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 7, 2019 11:43 PM

Feb 2017
Considerably worse than the show (I'm saying that as someone with HnK as their all-time fav). Obviously they couldn't cram the character development of three whole arcs into two hours (nevermind Shuu and Souther arc), but I mean this ending is just cheesy compared to the magnifigence of the TV show's final episodes. I didn't like how Raoh didn't die and Ken was given the "lonely wanderer" trope to close things out.
eski514Jan 8, 2019 2:03 AM
Dec 26, 2019 1:58 AM

Jul 2015
Nice movie, I feel like the movie itself was too short to display everything that happened from ep 1 until around 49 of the original

series.

But still some nice animation and some coold new designs like Raoh's army not looking like punks but actual soldiers

Nov 6, 2020 6:32 PM

May 2016
Watching this made me realize that I should go for the manga or the anime instead so I wouldn't be as confused as I was when I ended up seeing all those psychic powers which were very much unexpected for me.

The art quality of the scenery's one of this film's best features and a lot of the action scenes were either able to make me go "Ouch!" or laugh out loud because of how over-the-top and cheesy it is~

Jun 5, 2021 8:26 PM

Feb 2015
Everything's great, except the part where Kenshiro suddenly loses all his testosterone levels and starts screeching high pitch kung fu noises
Jun 5, 2021 8:39 PM

Jun 2010
Joms said:
Everything's great, except the part where Kenshiro suddenly loses all his testosterone levels and starts screeching high pitch kung fu noises

Hey, if it's good enough for Bruce Lee...

More topics from this board

» Is it just me or does the blood and gore in the 1986 Fist of the north star movie look extremely graphic?

EmperorDemonGava - May 17, 2012

2 by SAT_KUMAR »»
Aug 11, 2023 7:39 PM

Poll: » Fist of the North Star 1986 Uncensored VHS in U.S?

yugiboy12 - Dec 9, 2013

6 by abystoma2 »»
Sep 4, 2021 1:58 PM

» Fist of the North Star the movie 30th anniversary

Egon1982 - Dec 26, 2016

3 by Shocked »»
Dec 28, 2016 5:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.