3It was OK
12.3%
2Disliked it
7.9%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.3
114 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2010 3:34 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was pleasantly surprised with this anime. The visuals are very simple and it doesn't have a specific plot, it just tells four different stories affected by the actions of Count D. and his mysterious Petshop. And each story is fantastic, I loved the direction and spooky atmosphere of the 4 episodes, each one will focus on a different theme with its respective creepiness and dark mood!
Nov 7, 2010 5:26 AM
Oct 2010
This anime was great in general. I loved the 3 first episodes. The last one was good too but, I found it a bit more boring than the other 3. The 4 stories are magnific though. The drawings are simple and good, and the background music is awesome. It makes you feel really odd!!!. I really liked it!!!.
Jun 4, 2011 2:41 PM
Jul 2010
A very good anime. I also found the 3 first episodes were better but all was interesting. A strange atmosphere with this Count D!
Feb 22, 2012 2:16 AM
Jul 2018
I really enjoyed this series, like you all :D It gave off such a different feeling to other series I've seen! I loved the Count's attitude, and his love of sweet things xDD!! The stories were really well done, and interesting! Kept you wondering what was to happen next!
Aug 11, 2012 9:34 AM

Nov 2010
Pretty well done for an OVA. The manga is of course not comparable, but as a stand alone anime, the stories kept you going and attached without having much background information. Too bad this wasn't made into a proper series.

The "LITTLE white house" at the end was pretty amusing, but not as interesting as the other episodes. Politics meh. xP
Dec 4, 2012 7:09 PM

May 2010
This anime was really interesting! This is personally my favorite style of art in anime and manga. I think four episodes was not enough! I really love it. I'm going to rewatch it a lot. XD
May 21, 2013 4:11 PM

May 2012
Quite a lovely anime actually, some interesting concepts and a nice ending! 6/10
Jul 21, 2013 12:49 PM

Jan 2008
This was such a nice surprise, I wouldn't mind seeing some more. :)
I hope you have a lovely day ♥ヾ(๑❛ ▿ ◠๑ )
Jun 12, 2014 7:50 PM

Aug 2010
I really like how the Kirin looks and I like how Kelly ends up in his friend's body. It was obvious that he was the better choice for Nancy anyways.
I wish there was more episodes, this seems more like an OVA so it would be cool if they would make another series but following the manga and its storyline.
Jul 17, 2014 12:59 AM

Jan 2014
A beautiful anime overall... The premise, the morals of those 4 stories... Wow!
This episode is great too. It's just that I expected a bit more of the main story.
I expected a proper ending, a thorough explanation of the Count's background.
Hope for a sequel. This makes me wanna read the manga even more, though ^.^
Aug 2, 2014 7:00 PM

Jun 2014
Not exactly superb for being made by Madhouse.
Very predictable; plot didnt go far; not enough likable characters;
meh 6/10
Oct 17, 2014 7:10 PM

Apr 2012
Not as formulaic different type of story to the others and all the better for it.
Nov 25, 2015 12:49 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
It had the potential to be so much better, but still found it very enjoyable and with great art. Shame there was only 4 episodes.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 27, 2015 5:34 AM

Mar 2008
Just as it seemed to be hitting the most interesting part of the scenario, the episode ends. I wonder if this story was actually continued in the manga?

Overall, I can't say I'm disappointed since I came in without expectation. The 90s detail was lovely at times, and there were some worthwhile moments here and there. Nothing altogether atrocious, but largely quite forgettable.

That said, it's definitely a hook enough to get me to look for the manga sometime. Hopefully the source material will be more satisfying - reaching greater heights.
Jan 1, 2016 11:32 PM
Jun 2013
Surprised a happy ending.i wonder if nancy knows. Since well she only told kelly about that stuff she wanted. wish there was more episode. This made for a very good watch.
Feb 6, 2016 6:28 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
souledge94 said:
Surprised a happy ending.i wonder if nancy knows. Since well she only told kelly about that stuff she wanted. wish there was more episode. This made for a very good watch.

Fully agreed!!
I enjoyed the last episode the best even though they were all entertaining in concept. Watching this anime was like watching the Twilight Zone or Outer Limits. In the final thought, I will stick with my plain old cat and stay out of the Pet Shop.
Mar 20, 2017 1:28 AM
Mar 2012
Fitting art & ost for the mysterious but not creepy atmosphere.
Each short is quite thoughtful, tho illogical in parts, integrates some mythology with morals. Nice characters are well designed adults, classy fashion like the count & ep4 wife. They're not all scumbags who die.

The us pres part, random scholarship & pengy were hilarious, but otherwise it was a surprising turn of events into bodyswapping bf ntr, where the 'bad apple' also redeems himself in a way.
Apr 16, 2017 11:57 PM

May 2016
It wasn't how he imagined it but it worked out anyway~ Begone with the thunderclap!

It's not so much as a horror but it was a nice and mysterious watch.

Jul 1, 2017 11:20 AM

Jun 2017
...ok. this episode was not only the best episode of this anime,it was one of the best episodes i ever saw in any anime,period. it was so engrossing it was incredible. i did realize that they switched souls(and i assume he got his talents too)as soon as they said that the driver died,but this was still incredible. also,that moment when the detective saw the mayor was a customer was priceless XD. really really wish there were more episodes to this anime. oh well. it was awesome :)

BTW guys,did you notice who the 3 guys the count said made a contract with the Kirin were? they were Kim Il-Sung(founder of North Korea),Hitler,and Roosevelt. pretty interesting stuff.
FFTHEWINNERJul 1, 2017 11:24 AM
Sep 30, 2017 3:18 AM

Nov 2016
It was rather interesting and had a mysterious overtone. However some of the stories were just simply ridiculous like Alices backstory. I'll give this a 6/10
Sep 30, 2017 5:27 AM

Jul 2009
Another great episode! Roger was a pain, and in the end Kelly got his body and his wife and he would turn into a future president.
Feb 2, 2018 10:03 PM

Nov 2009
This episode and the ending were a let down. I enjoyed episodes 1 and 3.
Apr 1, 2018 3:14 PM
Jul 2013
Cool show, but we need more then 4 eps.
Aug 22, 2018 11:05 AM

May 2018
Very good show with great direction and atmostphere, we need a proper horror show like this nowadays. I wish there were more episodes, now i may need to read the manga.
Sep 11, 2018 4:35 PM

Oct 2015
So the Kirin chose Kelly instead, I guess he was the one who wanted his wish to be granted most than Roger. In the end he got Roger's life and wife. I guess that was his inner wish all along and that's why the Kirin took Roger in Kelly's body and let Kelly lived in Roger's life. In other words he wanted to be Roger.

I loved this anime overall, too bad it was only 4 episodes. The Count is still a mystery but I like him, but I don't like that noisy bastard Leon. Every episode ended in a bad way, because nobody listened to the stipulations of the contract. I will try and read the manga.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

May 30, 2019 7:42 PM

Jan 2018
good shit man. i would've liked more episodes, but pretty good still.
Jun 21, 2019 5:13 PM

Jun 2019
FFTHEWINNER said:
...ok. this episode was not only the best episode of this anime,it was one of the best episodes i ever saw in any anime,period. it was so engrossing it was incredible. i did realize that they switched souls(and i assume he got his talents too)as soon as they said that the driver died,but this was still incredible. also,that moment when the detective saw the mayor was a customer was priceless XD. really really wish there were more episodes to this anime. oh well. it was awesome :)

BTW guys,did you notice who the 3 guys the count said made a contract with the Kirin were? they were Kim Il-Sung(founder of North Korea),Hitler,and Roosevelt. pretty interesting stuff.

Kim il-Sung, Hitler, and Truman. FDR had actually died in April earlier that year and was succeeded by Truman who authorized the atomic bombings.

Agreed though on this being the best episode to cap off a very quirky and thought-provoking series. It was a unique treat and the shortest series I've ever watched. We need more horror and mystery anime of this caliber but longer. It was very episodic bordering on anthology, but I love the Count as a thread that links them all together, the steamy, dark, Old World decor of his pet shop, and his famous teatime. His mannerisms and taking the piss or "trolling" Leon injected an unexpected undertone of black comedy to the show with some of their exchanges.
WatchTillTandavaJun 21, 2019 5:20 PM
Aug 10, 2019 3:23 PM
Aug 2019
A bit short for my liking; then again, horror itself has never been my favourite genre.
An average 5/10 should do.
Nov 11, 2019 3:58 PM

Oct 2019
Saturos-001 said:
A bit short for my liking; then again, horror itself has never been my favourite genre.
An average 5/10 should do.

At least this one you recommended was horror...
Nov 11, 2019 4:00 PM

Oct 2019
The premise and execution were both good. I just wish it had been longer. Barely a 6/10. Creepy factor bumped up the mark a little.
Jul 18, 2020 3:38 AM

Jun 2020
omg that school bus scene with all that children was so unsettling.... roger might be a jerk but he had a great heart to try to save them

also i really enjoyed all the episodes, wish they made more! the character designs were really great as well

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Dec 18, 2020 5:05 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
I AM SPEECHLESS, WHAT AN UNDERRATED GEM !!!!!
張大です for 張大勇督察
Jun 16, 2021 12:24 PM

Jan 2021
On my way to read the manga
Jun 16, 2021 2:15 PM

Jun 2019
My 22nd completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 9/10 rating.
Aug 16, 2021 2:05 PM
Aug 2016
I don't get the point of the police in this. Cut out Leon and nothing would change? I think it would've been better without those weird 'questioning Count D' interuptions in the story and just to have let the narrative be.
Oct 12, 2021 4:35 PM
Aug 2020
wow.. this episode was my fav for sure!!

I just wish there were more info about Count D
Oct 31, 2021 1:39 PM

Jun 2015
I feel like this story is a bit uncomplete unlike the previous ones. They should totally remake this anime and make longer. It's wonderful.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jul 30, 2022 5:21 AM
Sep 2021
RafaelDeJongh said:
Quite a lovely anime actually, some interesting concepts and a nice ending! 6/10

It's your personal opinion, but, what are the reasons for a 6 out of 10?
Oct 21, 2022 2:45 PM
Nov 2014
It seems Kelly was really not such a good person he wanted to pretend he was, he let his friend die and took his place like nothing happened lol I mean Roger was to a great person but I don't like this lack of loyalty.

Anyway, this series was really interesting, I loved the animation style, I wish it was longer.
Mar 12, 2023 12:07 PM
Feb 2015
There were few mistakes in this episode. Mainly that Qilin isn't one of 4 sacred beast in china (those are that pseudo mutated snake called by them azure dragon, white tiger, black tortoice and vermilion bird). Qilin and phoenix are sacred too, but they aren't part of "big 4". Not to mention that qilin has rather positive beast so it wouldn't make people dream come true by sacrificing blood of others (not to mention that qilin rather doesn't grant wishes).
Oct 8, 2023 6:57 AM
May 2017
I didn't like it as much as the first 3 episodes.
Sep 23, 10:57 PM

Apr 2017
I really wish they would remake this series. Animate all of the chapters. My dad was so irritated that it was the final episode. I had to tell him, "this is the bad thing about liking a Josei series. They'll never do it justice".
Oct 10, 5:47 PM

Aug 2014
These 4 episodes were just captivating. Unreal they havent made more episodes since

More topics from this board

Poll: » Petshop of Horrors Episode 3 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - May 21, 2013

19 by GameSmashDash »»
Jun 20, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Petshop of Horrors Episode 2 Discussion

TEWG - Nov 13, 2011

18 by GameSmashDash »»
Jun 20, 10:47 AM

Poll: » Petshop of Horrors Episode 1 Discussion

gijswitz - Sep 8, 2012

35 by GameSmashDash »»
Jun 20, 10:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.