3It was OK
16.9%
2Disliked it
5.6%
1Hated it
3.9%
Average 4.0
178 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 10, 2021 7:01 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Of all studios, I did not expect Lerche to get chosen to do a musical idol show. Regardless, you can count on the studio to do some great production, this is in the vein of Kanata no Astra with the letterboxed 16:9 filmreel feel.

A girl that wishes to be an idol more than anything, that girl is Mana Nagase (of the past). With fellow classmate and close confidante Kohei Makino, a different idea of an idol system: an AI-ranking system known as Venus. With that, both people serve as idol and personal manager respectively. Just when life is flying high for both of them chugging success one after another, the Anohana plot just has to be the "instant karma" Schrödinger's Cat to pave for a new story, that's some BS storytelling that don't make sense.

It may seem like all roses, but most of this is all over the place. A former popular idol that came back as a ghost, that's some contrived plot, but I'd thought that this'll blend OK with the new influx of junior wannabe idols.

Just a decent start, and I can already compare this to the iDOLM@STER for all the right and wrong reasons.

The last of the idol shows, and why is it that their premieres don't always reflect the best of first impressions? Though I shouldn't be surprised at this point, and this is probably the best of the 4 shows we have this season (though I can foreshadow that this will be a sleeper hit).

More importantly, the staff has me worried:
Yuu Kinome, apart from Assistant Director of Asobi Asobase, he/she hasn't done much.
Tatsuya Takahashi, you know how bad this person is when it comes to scriptwriting: Beatless, Eromanga-sensei, Domestic na Kanojo (to name a few).
KANLen09Jan 11, 2021 4:23 AM
Jan 10, 2021 7:37 AM

Aug 2011
I thought this could rival love live because Jukki Hanada one of the Idoly Pride creator. Look like im wrong. This show so boring and not making any sense. Time to drop.
CrazyFrogzJan 10, 2021 8:12 AM
Jan 10, 2021 7:54 AM

Nov 2008
What a tragic start, everything was going so well for Mana then bam suddenly dead (in before someone says Mana's death was expected for being too close to Kouhei, it was building up to a full on romance and this is an idol anime, can't have that after all) and wtf she's back as a ghost, there goes all the realism that was building up.

Jan 10, 2021 9:53 AM

Jul 2017
I really like the aura that this series gives out, the BGM especially, and the 21:9 aspect ratio really gives it a fresh feeling and enjoyment. Pretty interesting so far.
Jan 10, 2021 10:10 AM

Apr 2014
Idol anime with an idol ghost?? lmao WTF is it. But, it still interesting anyway. 🤣
Those girls are cute especially Mana. Gladfully, they bring her back as a ghost.
何それ?意味分かんない
Jan 10, 2021 10:19 AM

Jan 2014
Was bout to say what a deep episode, but then the ending happened. Sure it's still deep, but for her to be a ghost, it's weird lol.

Still good.
Jan 10, 2021 10:23 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
They really made the main girl dying in the first episode then bring back as a ghost??? lol it makes me think of Zombieland Saga but obviously Zombieland Saga is 100 times better, this one is more like Lovely Idol but with some drama parts, well anyway it's kinda relaxing even though I wish it was a girls-only anime and not with a manager
Jan 10, 2021 10:27 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm its been ages since i seen an idol anime. Its rare for classmates to end up not only in the same industry but also end up working together. Still its nice that we get to see a good starting point via how Mana and Makino met in the past. Using AI to manage Idols performances though sure is interesting. Still the hallway scene scene showed well just how competitive the idol scene is. But Damm Mana's life sure ended tragically and at such a young age as well. Still Mana returning as a ghost that both interacts with Makino and look at his decisions is an interesting idea. Overall a decent opening ep that did well to introduce the main cast in the form of Mana and Makino. While the death of Mana after being developed was a surprise the idea of her coming back as a ghost that acts as the foundation for Makino's resolve in his career was a pretty interesting spin in terms of dev for both. Curious at what the new girls will bring.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2021 10:43 AM

Mar 2020
Well that was pretty dumb for her to appear as a ghost. Maybe it's because of his sanity making him think stuff up?
Jan 10, 2021 11:16 AM

Oct 2017
Starts by showing us the ten idols and immedietly goes into a flashback. Flashback of a girl named Mana who was such a lively and sweet girl but sadly she died too soon damn it. Makino was heartbroken but after three years he saw Mana again but this time as a ghost. Now the question is whether she really is a ghost or it's all in Kouhei's mind.

Decent start, proly gonna be worth the time and Lerche doing a good job on animating the show.
KANLen09 said:
A girl that wishes and wants to be an idol more than anything, that girl is Kotono Nagase.
You mean Mana Nagase right?
Jan 10, 2021 11:28 AM
Sep 2018
While most of the story was predictable, I thought having the girl come back as a ghost was a pretty unique twist.
Jan 10, 2021 11:32 AM

Feb 2019
Was debating if I wanted to watch this because I don’t drop anything and the funi ratings were quite low. Happy that I did as that was a great first episode and I can tell I’m going to love it!

Mana dying was such a big twist for me. I was thinking surely they wouldn’t go that dark. But bringing her back as a ghost is ok with me. I felt bad for Makino not being able to communicate how he felt about her.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes, could be the 22/7 of this season which was also very underrated. Coincidentally, 22/7 also aired last winter.
Jan 10, 2021 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
well i kind of like how it got serious there but the ghost thing kind of ruined it a bit there, hoping it’s just his imagination and not an actual ghost, but whatever I told myself I would only watch 1 idol show this season and here I am.
Jan 10, 2021 11:57 AM

Apr 2020
I watched Gekidol, it was barely passable. Now I watched Idoly Pride, it is better but barely passable. We got a good story between Makino and Mana and how they got into the idol industry. But when things were just going good, Mana suddenly died leaving Makino alone. But after some time later, Mana comes back as a ghost......WHAT IN THE-

I did not ask Anohana in an idol show and what's unfortunate is that you can build off a more interesting story from Mana's loss. Instead we got an obvious Menma ripoff (albeit more mature than Menma's childiness) and that dude Makino did not even cry when she died, like WTH?! Oh btw Makino is not the main character, it's actually the 10 idol girls...wow. You did an episode to show us something that is not actually the main setup for the idol story, that is a kinda bad move.

Overall, what a great art and some decent animation, I like that they did a different ratio with the anime like Erased did 5 years ago. But as an original anime, the storytelling was bad. It's like they skip a there, character die, oh she actually a ghost and ooh 2 random girls had an encounter in the end, it was a mishandled mess. I might just barely hang on with this for the next couple of weeks.
Jan 10, 2021 12:45 PM

Sep 2019
I thought this was a chill idol show, I'm disappointed. The art was great, I was surprised to see a relationship developement but I thought "I guess it will be a little different than other idol shows". I was wrong... in a bad way. What was that weird drama? Now we have a schizophrenic producer, I'm really disappointed with this show.
Jan 10, 2021 1:26 PM

Mar 2019
Soo as a big idol fan Idoly Pride was probably my most hyped seasonal anime...I listened to their songs before and the idol feeling is clearly their. Like in the first episode as well, the songs are fantastic.

I though it is kinda like Idolm@ster with many girls and a big group. But after the first episode, they feel totally different for me. I never have seen a darker first episode of any idol anime, with the situation of Mana they really caught me off guard, I don't want such things in a pure idol anime tbh. Still the "ghost thing" is somehow also kinda special but not making much sense. At least she "is alive" in another way...probably until the dude really succeed or sth like that cause in the first scene she wasn't there anymore....

Dunno how to feel about that rn, it disappointed me quite bit...but I will definitely watch the whole thing, not only for the great idol music
Jan 10, 2021 1:29 PM

Dec 2018
OMG there are so many males in this. And IMO they are all repulsive

If I watch a Idol I watch it because of the pretty anime ""GIRLS"". There are a good reason why the biggest Idols only have females in it. I have high standards when it come to purity in those kind of shows

And I also want my Idols to be fun easygoing and cheerful to watch. This episode have everything I dont want and didn't suit my taste

IMO this is trash and one of the worse anime so far in 2021. And I give It 1/10

Yuri-CrusaderJan 10, 2021 2:58 PM
Jan 10, 2021 1:41 PM
Jan 2021
This anime looks like the best anime of 2021 so far. Episode 1 starting with a death by accident and an event being cancelled because of it definitely has Idol Densetsu Eriko vibes right there. Here's hoping it doesn't end up disappointing! 10/10
Jan 10, 2021 1:45 PM
Jul 2018
damn that was kinda sad, didnt really expect mana to die. this was kinda confusing tbh, with all the time jumping around kinda made it hard to understand. story and characters are looking pretty mid ngl whichi is a shame since the art and soundtrack is really nice. also did the mc develop schizophrenia?
Jan 10, 2021 2:39 PM

Mar 2019
2077 said:
also did the mc develop schizophrenia?
It kind of seems like that, but at this point I don't think we know for sure if it's schizophrenia, or if Mana is actually a ghost that only Makino can see.

Jan 10, 2021 2:52 PM

Feb 2019
Well, that was unexpected, I'll give it that much. I had high hopes because of Lerche and, at least in the visual department, it delivered. It's a waiting game on just how gimmicky is the ghost/hallucination going to come across. I could count the frames in the ED with my hands though.
Jan 10, 2021 3:06 PM

Jul 2017
MegamiRem said:
KANLen09 said:
A girl that wishes and wants to be an idol more than anything, that girl is Kotono Nagase.
Yeah, sorry about that, will fix it soon as I'm still drowning from the LOLS that is Ex-Arm XD
Jan 10, 2021 3:07 PM

Dec 2018
When the car scene started I knew she'd die. Damn, but also in a way very interesting? It's so different from the other idol anime, I like the premise, let's see where it goes.
Jan 10, 2021 3:08 PM

Nov 2008
moemallow said:
2077 said:
also did the mc develop schizophrenia?
It kind of seems like that, but at this point I don't think we know for sure if it's schizophrenia, or if Mana is actually a ghost that only Makino can see.

I hope so, because this is the most realistic idol anime since WUG, if Mana really is a ghost and not a hallucination, it kills all of the realism the anime was building.

Jan 10, 2021 3:10 PM

Nov 2019
I thought of watching something out of my comfort zone. I came with little expectations but still left disappointed. She suddenly died and came back as a ghost? Mana even though she died is still visable, there goes all of the realism and the little hope I had.
Talk about the animation? Can you even call this animation, it's closer to a powerpoint presentation and the stage performance felt underwhelming.
But I'll give this show one more episode to redeem itself.

死神

What do you think are the most important things in life? Money, dreams, sympathy towards others...

Yes, they're all important things as well... But the most important thing is responsibility for your own actions.
- Yuichi
Jan 10, 2021 3:28 PM

Apr 2019
character design and animation is good. quick ass pacing, guess this is going to be an idol anime focused on this group of adults. Makino, she isn't a ghost. You are hallucinating and a schizophrenic...

Jan 10, 2021 3:30 PM

Apr 2019
revzy said:
I thought of watching something out of my comfort zone. I came with little expectations but still left disappointed. She suddenly died and came back as a ghost? Mana even though she died is still visable, there goes all of the realism and the little hope I had.
Talk about the animation? Can you even call this animation, it's closer to a powerpoint presentation and the stage performance felt underwhelming.
But I'll give this show one more episode to redeem itself.
probably made the first episode like this because they wanted this anime to be focused on Makino interacting with Mana as a ghost, while working with a team of other idols. If the main focus of this show was Mana's idol life from highschool to graduation and Venus comp of course they wouldn't have made it like this.

Jan 10, 2021 3:40 PM

Jun 2008
>Male main, manager, lead girl seems into him.

Thanks for making the decision to skip quick and easy.
Jan 10, 2021 4:22 PM
Jan 2021
Florete said:

Had you not been so quick to skip, you would have found out the very event that makes exactly what you feared, impossible.
Jan 10, 2021 4:24 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty good, I liked it.

Shame that Mana died cause I liked her. I was surprised she came back as a ghost but hey at least that means more Mana which is a good thing.

Character designs seems nice, the art is great too and the music is good. Looks like it'll be pretty decent so I'll look forward to it.
Jan 10, 2021 4:56 PM

Jun 2008
Next_Purple said:
Florete said:

Had you not been so quick to skip, you would have found out the very event that makes exactly what you feared, impossible.

Because she's dead? Changes nothing.
Jan 10, 2021 5:00 PM
Dec 2019
I droped gekidol and idolls but this i had fun watching, i will go to the end.
Jan 10, 2021 5:12 PM

Apr 2009
KANLen09 said:
MegamiRem said:
Yeah, sorry about that, will fix it soon as I'm still drowning from the LOLS that is Ex-Arm XD
i would rather Re-watch Revue Starlight than watching Idoly Pride instead bcoz the death of Mana reminds me of Patrick Swayze's character (welp his character dies and returns as a ghost) from the film " Ghost " (insert Unchained Melody here) and at least Karen Aijo was not dead and anyway the Drama in Revue was a little small but way better and the animation is more decent compared to this
Prankster_001Jan 10, 2021 5:27 PM
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Jan 10, 2021 5:14 PM

Jul 2015
My excitement for this anime was big, I have been following this project for around a year already... and first episode delivered hard.

I didn't know what we would get for the opening episode and we ended up getting an emotional story about Mana and Makino, years before the current events of the story. From the first scene we already got to imagine that this backstory was gonna end in tragedy... but I wasn't ready for it anyways, ngl I was shacking through most of the episode knowing than the worst could happen at any moment. Looks like Mana is still gonna hang around as a ghost tho, I'm very curious to see how the series will implement that if it will be a thing as the last minutes of the episode seemed to suggest.

I was so upset when I realized that the episode was already ending! I wanted to keep watching more so badly, definitely the strongest start of the season for me.

Haruko btw, my best girl sensor is screaming in excitement, older idoru gonna be my fav.
Jan 10, 2021 5:44 PM
Jul 2015
At the beginning I sensed a tragic feeling on it but I really liked it. I supposed both Mana and Making shared some more deeply feelings for each other.
Jan 10, 2021 5:55 PM

Nov 2016
If it is not going to focus on the girl and it will have a generic male producer character as protagonist then I am not interested. A disappointment.
Jan 10, 2021 7:39 PM

Jul 2013
Call me an idiot, but I didn't pay enough attention to the first 30 seconds and I thought Mana was one of those girls the whole time, then her death happened and my jaw just dropped.

Wanted to say I like the direction it's taking, but then the ghost appeared and the OP played... I'm not so sure anymore.
Jan 10, 2021 8:06 PM

Oct 2008
Idol-y the Tragic....errrrr ???
3/5.

Jan 10, 2021 9:21 PM
Jun 2013
Yo, are we actually getting proper 2D animated dance scenes?
Jan 10, 2021 10:31 PM

Apr 2009
JustMonaka said:
Call me an idiot, but I didn't pay enough attention to the first 30 seconds and I thought Mana was one of those girls the whole time, then her death happened and my jaw just dropped.

Wanted to say I like the direction it's taking, but then the ghost appeared and the OP played... I'm not so sure anymore.
i was lol at that plot and it reminds me that of the 1990 film Ghost (where Patrick Swayze's character got killed by muggers and retuned as a ghost to save the woman he loves from guy who killed him) spoiler mate Mana also returned as a ghost i dunno wht would she do now

Jan 10, 2021 10:32 PM

Apr 2009
matias067 said:
Idol-y the Tragic....errrrr ???
3/5.
More like Ghost:The idol version

Jan 11, 2021 12:14 AM
Apr 2020
I was shocked when she turned into a ghost lmao. Well it's pretty interesting and Lerche will be doing it so I'm in for this :)
Jan 11, 2021 2:33 AM

Jul 2014
So, it's an idol anime, but with an Anohana-esque twist to get things started? That's an interesting plot hook at least, but how much impact will it have going forward? I'm hoping it proves an important element and isn't just used as a framing device for an otherwise-generic idol show; with a girl who looks like Mana's younger sister in the main group we saw before the flashback, my gut tells me it'll continue to be important going forward.
Jan 11, 2021 4:01 AM

Feb 2014
So this is an idol show with a ghost. That was tragic for Mana, dying on the day of the final round of Venus project which she could have won. Now her closest friend, Makino will now help this new idols achieved their dreams.
Jan 11, 2021 4:28 AM

Oct 2007
I don't watch an idol anime for a guy's backstory, and the entire first episode was spent on that.

one of the quickest drops of the season. And I won't be buying anything from this.
Liddo-kunFeb 23, 2021 6:32 AM
Jan 11, 2021 6:46 AM

Jun 2016
everything is good and interesting until that fucking ghost appear !!!
the animation is pretty good enough
Jan 11, 2021 7:42 AM

May 2018
The new idolm@ster looks good. Maybe we should invest in ghost idols lol
Jan 11, 2021 7:56 AM
Nov 2020
I'll give one more ep and if it doesn't get better, I'm out. Ghost thing plus the male manager thing really put me off.
Jan 11, 2021 9:44 AM

Sep 2020
This turned out soo good!! I really enjoyed watching this! xD

RIP Mana, such a cute girl, why must she suffer this ;-;
This part where Mana dies wasn't really something I expected!

The character designs were cute too!! ><

Next, we're gonna see about Mana's imouto! Can't wait to see what happens! XD
Jan 11, 2021 9:45 AM

Oct 2018
This is great, looks like we got another Love Live anime! Although it doesn't look like Love Live in terms of animation style but I'm looking forward for to see what we will encounter in this anime!

R.I.P Mana Nagise, thankfully we can still see her in future episodes but now as a ghost! She reminds me of the girl from Anohana who is dead and return as a ghost to accompany the male MC!

Flashback ends! Now we're on the present day and is the time to find and recruit more members to form an idol group! I'm looking forward for the next episode!
Forum set made by Nate
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Idoly Pride Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2021

76 by Viok »»
Aug 25, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Idoly Pride Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2021

31 by Viok »»
Aug 23, 10:20 AM

Poll: » Idoly Pride Episode 2 Discussion

Ellenwitch - Jan 17, 2021

36 by ZeroNoColor »»
Feb 19, 8:49 AM

Poll: » Idoly Pride Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2021

31 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Nov 15, 2023 3:14 AM

Poll: » Idoly Pride Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2021

35 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Nov 15, 2023 1:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.