3It was OK
4.3%
2Disliked it
0.0%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.6
23 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2009 12:36 AM

May 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I just wrote a bunch of this in chat while talking about this show to my friends, so I'll just copy and paste it here:

10/19 03:20:33 Glenn Magus Harvey: the beginning suffered some believability problems, mainly due to the rather absurd premise
10/19 03:21:00 Glenn Magus Harvey: and then trying to justify it, between a blackmail-like scheme and some unscrupulous company leadership
10/19 03:21:17 Glenn Magus Harvey: but it gradually got better, one we got over that initial hump
10/19 03:22:11 Glenn Magus Harvey: of course, granted, this is a private company doing space travel technology, not the government, so it would make a little more sense for them to be desperate
10/19 03:23:30 Glenn Magus Harvey: also, they use these high school age girls as astronauts, but at least they justify their cohice by saying that an additional bit of weight (their original astronaut weighed about 75 kg)
10/19 03:23:55 Glenn Magus Harvey: and noting that the difference (about 37 kg) would amount to about 8 times its worth
10/19 03:24:15 Glenn Magus Harvey: however, the rest of the show shows off quite a bit of DID do the research
10/19 03:24:20 Glenn Magus Harvey: anything i bothered to look up was real, at least
10/19 03:25:07 Glenn Magus Harvey: the only thing was at the very end
10/19 03:25:11 Glenn Magus Harvey: i would have thought it was one ending
10/19 03:25:21 Glenn Magus Harvey: but it was slightly different in a key way
10/19 03:25:34 Glenn Magus Harvey: i didn't quite like that, actually, even though i'd otherwise feel bad for the characters

The "slighty different" part refers to the characters surviving. I'm very, very curious as to how they survived.

One more thing: I never found out what happened to blow her off to New Zealand...nor how they ended up in her school.

But yeah, overall, good series. I'm giving it a 7, and I would definitely recommend it to others. It deals with its subject matter in a relatively very realistic way (apart from the absurd premise), and I like that. There's little excess in epicness, drama, or comedy.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 31, 2010 2:55 PM

May 2009
And now, several months later, I realize that the series should be taken as comedy rather than drama. In fact, it's far more enjoyable if approached as comedy.

So I kinda watched it wrong. But that's all good.

Yeah, seriously, there's no conspiracy or anything in this series. Just relax and have a good time.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 15, 2012 8:43 AM

Aug 2008
wow this show is such gem nice watch 10/10 from me.
Jun 4, 2012 6:37 AM
Jun 2009
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I'm very, very curious as to how they survived.

Well, she DID do the manouver. It may not have been the perfect one that the computers calculated, but sufficient for they surviving. Even if she haven't memorized the exact numbers, the general "3 boosters", timming and angles must have made some sense for her to remember as a pilot.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
And now, several months later, I realize that the series should be taken as comedy rather than drama. In fact, it's far more enjoyable if approached as comedy.

Yep. There are many good space dramas. Save for some high tension moments, especially at space, this series is mostly comedy oriented.
Jul 21, 2012 7:23 PM

Apr 2009
Surprisingly good, actually. Well, not really that much, but despite the inherent silliness it comes out as quite an enjoyable show.
Feb 4, 2014 6:11 AM

Nov 2010
Looking at Viki's library, Rocket Girls was the only interesting one to follow so far (www.viki.com)
It's a good show despite it's major flaws compared to reality, but most movies or series are like that these days and this is an anime afterall

The things I liked were the inspiring subjects and training which want to make you go into space
I thought the setting looked like "Macross Zero" in the beginning then I saw Jaxa sponsored this show and it also reminded me of "Robotics;Note"

They didn't drag out the story of Yukari searching for his father till the end and they went into orbit quite fast around the 5th episode
So storywise it was unexpected to me and done well aside from the impossible things like Matsuri rescuing her sister in a very short time while Yukari's first flight was delayed 3 times or her mother showing up conveniently and more

Character development was very low due to the limited 12 episodes I only got to know Yukari very well unlike "Planetes"

I'm looking forward to "Space Brothers" now, since it has so many episodes and by looking at the first OP it's quite promising
Dec 11, 2015 2:58 AM

Dec 2009
This show was unexpectedly fantastic. It took the research and situations very seriously despite the implausibility and comedic elements. They played it like some causality-like curse wishing resulted in a variable that threw her way off course, and that the same elements resulted in her landing in the school pool (which was absolutely preposterous but entertaining). Keep in mind this anime has the realism level of say something like Armageddon, which did research, but still treated it like a big cheesy hero film.

The skin-tight space suit concept has actually been proved not to work, as you'd have to practically cut off circulation in order to get an even atmospheric pressure, including places like the groin and underarms. However some kind of hybrid suit could be possible, using less bulk, but utilizing using air pressure like a modern EVA suit. This requires all sorts of fancy materials and so on (graphene?).

Using girls as astronauts is both an appealing premise, and not entirely preposterous. The reason being, is that every bit of weight you gotta lift into space is money. It costs your weight in gold to get you into space; -just- into space, not counting anywhere else. The whole point in private enterprise getting into space, is to increase efficiency of space travel. Along with the colossal failures of all the rockets being blown up, it was a pretty insane move to try and school some girls into the program, but somewhat plausible. However, they would have received an immense amount of criticism and would have had a nigh-impossible time moving and getting anything done because of this.

Keep in mind, children doing these kinds of things is not unrealistic at all; a child's mind is far sharper than an adult's. However when choosing candidates for something like a space program, i'd be scanning them to make sure they have sufficient frontal lobe development so you can feel at ease that they'd be able to make wise decisions in a pinch (maybe that's what the MRI scene was for) because children will be more reckless and emotional than adults (sometimes this works in their favour ofc). The only hmm is that space travel is one of the most dangerous and uncertain things humans have ever attempted to accomplish... When putting them up there you're rolling the dice with some pretty scary odds. I would never let myself put a young girl in such a position, as she's still has so much life to live yet. If it were as safe as hopping on a plane and crossing the ocean, then i'd be totally cool with that prospect, but sending them into space with current technology is a Russian Roulette. However, i'd never deny it would be a self-defining experience like no other, the amount of fear and joy they'd experience in succession would be incredible. To be frank, this anime way under-plays the emotional reaction young girls would have to the experience. Tough men cry at the sight of the earth from space, young girls would completely lose it... It's an unparalleled profound spectacle.

Anyways, an overall 9/10 for me. (that was practically a review.)
GenesisAriaDec 11, 2015 3:14 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jun 7, 2016 6:51 PM

Mar 2015
This series has been delightful. I've mentioned before that its like an homage to some of Robert Heinlein's work, and that is very good praise.

The director's rocket-shaped lighter was an amusing schtick: the flame came out a different port each time he used it.
Top_SergeantJun 7, 2016 7:02 PM
The sword that takes life gives life
Aug 5, 2016 5:44 AM

Apr 2009
This is a unique show. Kinda feel disappointed because they did not explained how the two of them survived.

A hidden gem. 7/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 28, 2017 7:40 AM

Mar 2016
This was a fun ride. My only complaint: with such a relatively small (and tight-knit) cast of characters, there weren't enough good moments of character interaction. I think they made an attempt, but it didn't feel like the character driven show it should have been. I think the plot moved at an interesting, and creative, pace. Glad they glossed over the father, because he was a real piece of trash.
May 4, 2018 6:45 PM

May 2010
I'm with syncro on this one; the character development/interaction could have used some work. But sacrificing plot time wouldn't be an option, so I guess what I'd really like is if this series were longer. Maybe 15 episodes or so instead of 12.

I have some reservations about the show, but overall I really enjoyed it. It was fresh, and that's saying something in the anime world.
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 11, 2018 6:40 AM

May 2018
Overall it was an interesting ride.
The beginning was iffy (they basically scammed Yukari into joining) but the story grew on me, and i really enjoyed seeing the technical aspects of going to space.

7/10
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Dec 17, 2018 6:38 PM
Mar 2016
...why did Atlantis ignite its SSMEs instead of its OMS during the orbit change?

That aside, I had fun with this. I like 'hard' space sci-fi and while I don't see myself returning to this, it was a pleasant way to burn time.
Apr 6, 2021 1:54 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Nice at least they survived, many dumb elements in this anime unfortunately but it was still entertaining, 5-6/10

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rocket Girls Episode 11 Discussion

Top_Sergeant - Jun 7, 2016

3 by Ashhk »»
Apr 6, 2021 12:15 AM

Poll: » Rocket Girls Episode 10 Discussion

2 by Ashhk »»
Apr 5, 2021 2:02 AM

Poll: » Rocket Girls Episode 9 Discussion

2 by Ashhk »»
Apr 5, 2021 12:20 AM

Poll: » Rocket Girls Episode 8 Discussion

Top_Sergeant - Jun 5, 2016

2 by Ashhk »»
Apr 4, 2021 1:55 PM

Poll: » Rocket Girls Episode 7 Discussion

Top_Sergeant - Jun 5, 2016

1 by Ashhk »»
Apr 4, 2021 1:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.