Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 1, 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
How interesting. A training camp and going out of their usual city environment. I thnk it's refreshing for the cast to experience this although this is still a far from a vacation.

Not everyone is also friendly on this trip so that opened up some can of worms. I still like the overall storytelling of this episode though. It gave us an insight on how whisky is made and what goes behind the scenes.
May 1, 8:29 AM

Dec 2021
Taizo, aka Mr. Perfect, arranges a training trip to the Yamazaki Distillery to learn about whiskey production.

Joining them is Kelvin Chen, an apprentice bartender from Singapore known for his aloof demeanor. Together, they head to Kyoto.

May 1, 9:43 AM
Jul 2023
Brewing history, character backstory and how things are smooth out through years and maturity.
May 1, 10:07 AM

Feb 2021
4:03 I wonder if this line was "80 years ago" in the original anime/manga.

10:58 万葉集 lit. ten thousand leaves compilation - Man'yōshū. The oldest existing collection of Japanese poetry, compiled some time after 759 AD during the Nara period.

11:02 千利休 (Sen No rikyuu) (1522-1591) is considered the historical figure with the most profound influence on chanoyu, the Japanese "Way of Tea", particularly the tradition of wabi-cha.

I was always impressed with how alcoholic drinks take such insane amounts of time to make.
​Wholesome backstory. Such a shame they haven't met once in those 12 years :(
May 1, 10:17 AM

Mar 2021
Really nice episode Loved that we got to see everyone go to a distillery to learn about Whisky and learn about how things change as they age.
May 1, 11:31 AM
Aug 2020
it was a good episode with a character
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
May 1, 11:53 AM

Jul 2021
That was the best episode so far. We got an actual story and an actual character, and Sasakura waxing lyrical was kept to a minimum.

I'm not exactly sure why these people are suddenly all hanging out and traveling to Kyoto together (in particular, why is Miwa there?), but it was a nice change of pace and a chance to see them interact.

More like this, please.
May 1, 11:58 AM

Jul 2022
That trip to the distillery was good to help Chen, as he had the resentment of not having confronted his father in the past and letting go of that girl, but he may be better now, the other two really got left behind.
May 1, 12:18 PM
May 2020
Show me the way
To the next whiskey bar
Oh don't ask why
Oh don't ask why

For if we don't find
The next whiskey bar
I tell you we must die
I tell you we must die
I tell you, I tell you
I tell you we must die
May 1, 12:26 PM

Feb 2022
Is the story about Chen and Chitose already over or will we see them again?
May 1, 1:06 PM
Feb 2024
I hope Chen finds Chitose sometime soon :)
May 1, 1:09 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Poor Chen and his unrequited love for Chitose.
May 1, 1:15 PM
Aug 2019
Yo anyone know the name of chens dads seiyuu
May 1, 1:43 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
While I wasn't a fan of the subpar animation of this episode (except for the breakdance scene) Chen's story and regret coming from 12 years prior can kind of sad and I feel for him considering something similar happened to me though not that long ago. Furthermore, I didn't know whisky took that many years to mature so I guess in case one screws up the process the result would be such a massive disappointment.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
May 1, 3:59 PM

Mar 2023
I wonder how different Chen's life would have been if he went to the festival. I've wondered similar things about going to/doing certain things in my life, but I guess I just have to use that regret to make something better of myself. Thanks, Ryuu!
May 1, 4:25 PM
Oct 2019
What a peaceful episode to watch, good for the heart, I hope that later in the story it shows what happened to Chen
May 1, 5:59 PM
Jan 2022
Excellent episode, as always 5/5
May 1, 6:20 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
A bunch of different bartenders from different bars get to head off to a whisky distillery to learn about how it is all made and we get to learn a bit about a character who seemed to be pretty quiet throughout the episode and figure out why.
May 1, 7:02 PM

Sep 2023
I can understand why Chen and Miwa were with Sasakura, but Yuri and Kyouko... They met like once or twice, they're not even friends, so how did they get an invite to that trip?
May 1, 7:20 PM

Nov 2010
Though it seems some people try to explain the mechanism why whisky tastes better with a drop of water referring a paper, it's too much for an explanation. I think a water drop as foreign body stirs the well-blended state of whisky, and it encourages the flavor.
May 1, 7:53 PM

Dec 2016
Boy this animated cut was pretty bad.

You can clearly see that Yuri is taking the space of the middle seat where Kyoko should be sitting and there's also not even Chen's arm on sight occupying the window seat.

I do at least give them credit for doing a decent job on Chisato's footwork while she was dancing out in the park.

Probably the most decent episode for me so far. Why? because Sasakura didn't pull out one of his stupid outlandish takes presented as a fact. Though I can't say I felt connected to Chen's story either, it's incredibly cliched, the story of kids following their strict parent's footsteps.

Not sure how to feel about this episode being some sort of spinoff "Okinawa trip" we normally see in highschool anime, but at least I do feel greatful that we get some outdoor scenery rather than the dull and lifeless indoor bars we've seen so far.

perseii said:
I'm not exactly sure why these people are suddenly all hanging out and traveling to Kyoto together (in particular, why is Miwa there?), but it was a nice change of pace and a chance to see them interact.

Yeah, I was also thinking, "don't they all have day jobs?" I also kinda feel that their short moments together hardly attribute them being close enough to go on a trip all together, but meh, this show already uses some really "anime tropes" like forcing a guy to follow some dare on which the prize is them stop pestering to take the job of a chef in their hotel. So guess we can let this one slide.
KimurahMay 1, 8:05 PM
May 1, 9:50 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Reply to BasebaII
Yo anyone know the name of chens dads seiyuu
@BasebaII It's Hayami Show!
May 1, 10:19 PM

Feb 2022
Show makes me want to drink more than I should.
May 1, 11:45 PM

Jun 2023
Came for bartending left with sad plot.

Poor Chen
May 2, 1:16 AM

Nov 2012
what a beautiful song! Story was kinda sad, real and hard to live as it was showed, but pretty relatable under others circumstances

My Candies:

May 2, 3:23 AM
Feb 2015
Reply to GensoTV
Is the story about Chen and Chitose already over or will we see them again?
@GensoTV I hope it will have a nice resolution, or at least a resolution at all. ^^
May 2, 6:15 AM
Sep 2021
Chen was introduced & was given a backstory & mainly it was his character development in general. Whiskey preparation & its history was also shown well.
May 2, 7:17 AM

Jul 2017
Japanese alcohol company Suntory's malt Whisky's Yamazaki Distillery is where Ryu and the ladies are going to learn all about whisky in Kyoto, and joining them is another fellow bartender, Singapore's Kelvin Chen, from Kuzuhara's Bar K. The thing is, he may be an aloof and socially inept bartender, but he knows his stuff, especially when it comes to alcohol, and undoubtedly his skills as a bartender in practice, whom he will not serve to his customers.

Ryu's lesson for Chen in bartendering, especially whisky and its water origins, despite having a Japanese family from his mother's side and being the heir to the Takuyas, and knowing their only daughter Chitose and staying with them for 12 years. But within those years, her family inn going out of business and no way of being in contact with her thereafter, Ryu sets him up a simple Yamazaki 12 Year alcohol, to remember the times he went through, which really opens up his mind on what he wants to do as a bartender.

As a fellow Singaporean...I've gotta admit that Kelvin's character really hit me hard, I can easily jive with him on how genetically Singaporeans are (not) like lols.

perseii said:
That was the best episode so far. We got an actual story and an actual character, and Sasakura waxing lyrical was kept to a minimum.

More like this, please.
I wholeheartedly agree, this is by far the most nuanced episode.
May 2, 8:36 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A bit of a change of pace episode this one. Didn't expect this kind of story. Lol at them missing their train too

I have a half bottle of Yamazaki 12 year and can confirm that it tastes like heaven with just a tiny amount of pure cold water.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 2, 12:07 PM

Aug 2019
Let's hope they can reunite soon

But I have a feeling that she already has a family. Let's hope I'm wrong.
May 2, 1:17 PM
Dec 2022
i hope kelvin reunited with that girl one day. it almost fault like a sad love story.
May 2, 3:08 PM

Apr 2012
I don't know what's more stupid. Returning to Tokyo without your friends because they don't answer your calls, or just spending the entire evening at a bar in a foreign city when you're supposed to be leaving. For grown professionals, they are quite careless.

@LessThanAnimeFan I'll assume that all the bar owners know each other pretty well, plus Miwa has agreed to invite other bartenders she knows along with them.
RobertBobertMay 2, 3:12 PM
May 3, 2:51 AM
Aug 2019
Reply to tingy
@tingy tyty it was on the tip of my tounge
May 3, 6:41 AM

Oct 2008
oh nice! we have some slight romance but man! they didn't even show the present Chitose or what's her current status! it looks like or feels like a bittersweet romance between Kelvin and Chitose! hmmmmm....
5/5.

May 3, 6:04 PM

Aug 2014
ech.. this gets worse every episode;/
two stupid rich kids who don't want free money.. I would be delighted if I had fam business to take over..
and later that whisky with invisible drop of water.. like its gonna change anything.. this anime is so full of lies.. wannabe shoukugeki no souma in drinks..
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
May 4, 6:11 AM
Jan 2022
Reply to BasebaII
@tingy tyty it was on the tip of my tounge
@BasebaII think the same lol
May 4, 11:54 AM
Oct 2021
Does anyone know the name of the music that plays around minute 20:00 please, its so beautiful!
May 4, 12:50 PM
Oct 2021
can’t believe how much i enjoy an anime like this
May 4, 9:02 PM

Jun 2012
Bittersweet reality. Poor Kelvin. Maybe he will spot her in a video, in an advert on TV or on a billboard later in the show?

Spotted a non-alchohol brand this week. Fever-Tree is from the UK! Known for high quality mixers to use in cocktails. Bit pricey, but I guess that's what happens when they use actual quality ingredients instead of cheap lemon aromatics and artificial sweeteners (found in the majority of cheaper mixers).

An interesting group outing.
May 5, 3:12 AM
Nov 2021
It was okay, though calling the Suntory Yamazaki distillery a must-visit for bartenders is such a hard sell considering Japanese whiskey is considerably uninspired.
May 5, 7:04 AM

Jan 2017
I wonder if Chen and that girl will see each other again after 12 years..
May 5, 9:24 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Chen and his memories of a juvenile love!!!
It was cool and full of feelings!!
kekeke
May 5, 3:47 PM
Jan 2017
Reply to davi__
Does anyone know the name of the music that plays around minute 20:00 please, its so beautiful!
@davi__ "Swallow" by Oreoreona.

Apparently it just released/dropped.

Random personal side-story that nobody asked for:

The last time I heard a song that I couldn't understand but sounded so beautiful, made me want to learn the language. It was "Niji no Kanata ni" by ReoNa, featured in Sword Art Online, in a similar way that Swallow was featured in this one.

Fast forward 3 years, I can speak basic Japanese, read both Kanas + hundreds of Kanji, and finally going to Japan 13 days from this post. I can't say it was the anime, can't say it was the tech and futuristic stuff that I'm into or the pretty asian girls... but if it's one thing for sure, the music got me.

This song, made me feel this whole emotion that got me started in the first place. Cheers to the next 3 years. 🥂

P.S. WHO IS OREOREONA AND WHY DO THEY HAVE REONA IN THEIR NAME TOO. COINCIDENCE?
May 5, 4:00 PM
Oct 2021
Withoutspaces said:
@davi__ "Swallow" by Oreoreona.

Apparently it just released/dropped.

Random personal side-story that nobody asked for:

The last time I heard a song that I couldn't understand but sounded so beautiful, made me want to learn the language. It was "Niji no Kanata ni" by ReoNa, featured in Sword Art Online, in a similar way that Swallow was featured in this one.

Fast forward 3 years, I can speak basic Japanese, read both Kanas + hundreds of Kanji, and finally going to Japan 13 days from this post. I can't say it was the anime, can't say it was the tech and futuristic stuff that I'm into or the pretty asian girls... but if it's one thing for sure, the music got me.

This song, made me feel this whole emotion that got me started in the first place. Cheers to the next 3 years. 🥂

P.S. WHO IS OREOREONA AND WHY DO THEY HAVE REONA IN THEIR NAME TOO. COINCIDENCE?

Oh I see, hope I can add it to my playlist soon, and thanks for sharing! Have a great trip to Japan ^ ^
May 5, 7:28 PM
Feb 2015
Maybe Cheng and Chitose will meet someday. In the meantime let's enjoy the drama and soothing melody...
May 6, 7:30 AM

Feb 2016
The beatiful story of the caucasic guy took me by surprise.
I've laughed a lot with the twi drunken girls losing their train.
May 6, 12:40 PM

Nov 2011
This episode is awesome guide through great bars in Kyoto (they exist, at least most of them). Please remind me of this episode when I'm in Kyoto. :)
May 6, 6:14 PM

Jul 2016
Pretty nice episode once again. It was cool to know more about how whiskey is elaborated and Chen's backstory about past regrets and the "what could have been" felt very relatable.
May 6, 7:51 PM
Jan 2022
Reply to Epiroogu
This episode is awesome guide through great bars in Kyoto (they exist, at least most of them). Please remind me of this episode when I'm in Kyoto. :)
@Epiroogu Too bad I'll never go to Kyoto because I'm from the West:(
May 7, 5:57 PM
Apr 2024
Great episode, the story of chen it was really moving
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bartender: Kami no Glass Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 5

37 by JRoUKnoShoes »»
Oct 9, 5:16 AM

Poll: » Bartender: Kami no Glass Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 19

78 by DaddyMoon »»
Sep 27, 9:25 AM

Poll: » Bartender: Kami no Glass Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - May 29

46 by DaddyMoon »»
Sep 23, 1:15 PM

Poll: » Bartender: Kami no Glass Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 15

52 by suzi_eee »»
Sep 14, 1:16 PM

Poll: » Bartender: Kami no Glass Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 12

32 by Ashhk »»
Sep 4, 10:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.