Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2023 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
Tbh, I didn't expect much out of this show....the magic and fantasy battle themes are the standard for this type of anime. Oh and of course, we can't forget about a school for the students.

Oh well, at least it's taking itself seriously and one of the directors Esmeralda seems kinda badass. The protagonist Oliver is so blend though...nothing really impresses me at all. Quite a bit of characters got introduced in this, at least ones with speaking parts. Nanao seems somewhat likable I guess but damn, she talks a lot.
Jul 7, 2023 9:00 AM

Jul 2017
From novelist Bokuto Uno, comes his 2nd anime adaptation, 7 years exact after Summer 2016's Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin a.k.a Alderamin on the Sky, with this show, which has the Kage no Jitsuryokusha a.k.a Eminence in Shadow vibes from the PV alone.

The prestigious Kimberly Magic Academy, home to students of all kinds, and has Harry Potter's Hogwarts feel with all of the mythical creatures and magic elements with its parade. Though with a dispelling magic spell, an orange-haired girl almost becomes embroiled in a major accident with a troll going berserk, which apart from a group of students seeking to work together to take it down, instead, a samurai girl eradicates it with ease, at the expense of her strong Innocent Color power.

The main MC being surprised by the samurai girl's magic power is one thing, and with the entrance ceremony, the introduction of Headmistress Esmeralda and the school that prides itself in freedom and results, a total resounding time of 7 years where only 80% of students make it out alive and the 20% consumed by their own spells, it's no joke when life and death is on the line. That, with the welcoming banquet in the likeness style of Hogwarts, finally introduces the MC crew of Michela McFarlane, Katie Aalto (the girl who got saved), Guy Greenwood, Pete Reston, Oliver Horn, and the samurai girl Nanao Hibiya, who comes in as the special recommendation after being saved by Michela's father, who also a part-time lecturer in Kimberly. The 6 of them sure get along nicely, regardless of their differences.

The entrance ceremony is over, and Oliver rests with Pete as his roommate, Though Oliver wakes up early to find a Gwyn convert operative by the name of Teresa Carste supervising his every move, it's Nanao taking a bath in the public in front of the boys' dormitory, which he insulates with a barrier. Though she reminds Oliver of someone familiar, his familiarity with Nanao will be one to shape his school life.

A rather interesting fantasy show worth keeping my eyes on, and J.C.Staff has been on a roll recently. I'll intrigued by what this show will have to offer since I've never watched Alderamin before.
KANLen09Jul 7, 2023 11:21 AM
Jul 7, 2023 9:02 AM

Dec 2021
Here we go again with the fantasy school anime, this one gives me Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha x Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute vibes. This episode introduces us to a world where magic and these deadly irreversible techniques known as spellblades, most people that use this technique are cryptic people that don't reveal themselves in the public. 

The episode does an excellent job of balancing action while introducing us to this world and for once I'm intrigued in it's world, the worldbuilding in just the first episode is clear of what any fantasy show could hope to accomplish in their entire run. While there are several exhilarating battle sequences, there are also moments of quiet reflection and mystery. The end of the episode leaves me with numerous questions and an eagerness to continue watching for the coming weeks I have to say. The opening also gives me major Harry Potter vibes

One minor flaw is that the episode occasionally introduces a few too many characters and concepts at once for the typical fan, which even had me slightly overwhelmed at times. However, this can be forgiven as the story gradually unfolds and provides a deeper understanding of the world and its inhabitants. 

Overall, with its average animation, intriguing characters, and a well-established fantasy world, it successfully hooks me and leaves them craving for more. If you're a fan of fantasy adventures with a touch of mystery and captivating magic systems, this is definitely a series to come to check out every week!
IzanaSolosJul 7, 2023 10:14 AM

Jul 7, 2023 9:12 AM

Jan 2018
Nanatsuma Fridays are here. I love the LN. Really good strong first episode. Nanao's design is really cute in the anime. And we finally got to see that scene from volume 1 get animated. Good stuff. Definitely one of the shows I'll be looking forward to the most every week this season. 
Jul 7, 2023 10:05 AM

Feb 2019
FINALLY. The REAL anime Harry potter is here. Man I wish I could’ve streamed my reaction to this first episode because I’ve been waiting for and pushing this Light Novel for so long. Tears in my eyes man.

J.C staff did an amazing job introducing you to this incredibly complex and intricate magical world as well as the characters. This series has one of the most detailed magic systems ever and I can’t wait for people to really experience all it’s got to offer.

The art, animation and pacing were all very solid. When it comes to JC Staff you just never know but this time it seems they got it right. They been on a roll since Railgun T and it looks like this could be among their best.. I just pray the quality stays this good throughout.

Pacing is going to be the big test for them here. The first volume in particular is quite thick and has a lot of world building. I hope they don’t pull an Index.

Cautiously optimistic.
Jul 7, 2023 10:05 AM

Aug 2017
Probably the show I've been looking forward the most. Like the setting, love me some school fantasy series. Animation looks fine, nothing that amazed me though. Bunch of characters already introduced, Oliver and especially Nanao seem interesting, others still need to warm up to them, hopefully that comes with the next episodes. Solid character design for most of them. Teacher also damn hot. 
Jul 7, 2023 10:08 AM

Feb 2019
IzanaSolos said:
Here we go again with the fantasy school anime, this one gives me Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha x Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute vibes. This episode introduces us to a world where magic and these deadly irreversible techniques known as spellblades, most people that use this technique are cryptic people that don't reveal themselves in the public. 

The episode does an excellent job of balancing action while introducing us to this world. While there are several exhilarating battle sequences, there are also moments of quiet reflection and mystery. The end of the episode leaves me with numerous questions and an eagerness to continue watching for the coming weeks I have to say. The opening also gives me major Harry Potter vibes

One minor flaw is that the episode occasionally introduces a few too many characters and concepts at once for the typical fan, which even had me slightly overwhelmed at times. However, this can be forgiven as the story gradually unfolds and provides a deeper understanding of the world and its inhabitants. 

Overall, with its average animation, intriguing characters, and a well-established fantasy world, it successfully hooks me and leaves them craving for more. If you're a fan of fantasy adventures with a touch of mystery and captivating magic systems, this is definitely a series to come to check out every week!

It’s incredibly clear of Maou Gakuin. The world building in nanatsuma is on par with Harry Potter.
Jul 7, 2023 10:11 AM
Mar 2017
Seems watchable and maybe even slightly above average. I just don't really want to watch another mid school show. Seems to get worse as the episode goes on and the series itself doesn't seem like it has much potential to be decent.

Got through 4m47s of it before dropping.
nestharusJul 7, 2023 10:18 AM
Jul 7, 2023 10:14 AM

Feb 2021
Ah so it's finally here.

I already own some of the light novel volumes, so I will definitely start reading it soon. 
Jul 7, 2023 10:16 AM

Aug 2019
Already way better than I thought it would be. It's just the first episode but I am interested to see more, which I definitely wasn't expecting. What was that scene at the end though lol
Jul 7, 2023 10:16 AM
Sep 2021
Solid show, the episode really pulled me in, nice introduction to all main characters and good art style and animation. Must watch for me, excited for more from this show.
Jul 7, 2023 10:22 AM
Jul 2023
The way it introduces the characters and the setting is just so weak. The pacing is also miserable. At least it looks pretty. 
Jul 7, 2023 10:29 AM

Feb 2021
Hello Nanao Hibiya from Reign of the Seven Spellblades
Hello Himura Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin
*using a crap ton of old fashioned japanese*

Nanao speaks in an even more old fashioned japanese than Kenshin tho

Nice premiere, but this is just an introduction. I saw many LN readers hyping this up, so I'm optimistic.
Jul 7, 2023 10:33 AM

Apr 2022
So the world map is basically normal except it's missing Africa, the middle east, and Mexiko?
Jul 7, 2023 10:33 AM
Nov 2020
rycestealer said:
The way it introduces the characters and the setting is just so weak. The pacing is also miserable. At least it looks pretty. 

Complaining about pacing issues after 1 episode is asinine. 24 minutes is not enough time to even establish a pace yet.
Jul 7, 2023 10:35 AM

May 2016
nestharus said:
Seems watchable and maybe even slightly above average. I just don't really want to watch another mid school show. Seems to get worse as the episode goes on and the series itself doesn't seem like it has much potential to be decent.

Got through 4m47s of it before dropping.
lol. i was at 4:42.
Jul 7, 2023 10:36 AM
May 2014
all characters look so generic
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2023 10:37 AM
Dec 2021
nice episode this is.
Jul 7, 2023 10:38 AM
Sep 2015
Pete who's born from non-magic parents and love to read book, is this a male version of Hermione?
But don't worry, unlike Mashle, this anime is probably safe from copyright lawsuit.
Jul 7, 2023 10:39 AM

Oct 2016
isnt it a big miss not introducing Oliver's reason for being at kimberly?
a lot of people dont watch past episode 1, not introducing something so vital to the series seems extremely weird

also, why does this have a score below 7? lmao you people need to chill the fck up
do you rate a music album after 1 minute of track 1? seems rather stupid
Jul 7, 2023 10:41 AM
Aug 2018
There is some ecchi/fanservice as expected, I'm loving this series I hope it continues with more fanservice/ecchi after episode 1 from the next episode
Jul 7, 2023 10:42 AM

Jan 2008
I know they were establishing the characters this episode but I got nothing out of this episode other than it's another of many magical school series. I heard 'some' things about the series so I'm hoping the next couple episodes has something to make it stand out from every other of the same genre.
Jul 7, 2023 10:43 AM

Oct 2017
That was an okay magic, fantasy anime start. A bit on the bland side too, nothing much interesting happened. The episode was just used to introduce the main characters. The main girl seems a bit too innocent and kinda dumb too. Anyway this is just the start so hopefully things will get better later on.
Jul 7, 2023 10:45 AM

May 2020
Knowing JC Staff I know they gonna fumble going forward.. I mean that's just how they work. Though kind of a generic art and plain setting to be honest, so I wouldn't really care if this do get the short end of the stick later.

Watchable for now, but that's just it.
Jul 7, 2023 10:46 AM
Feb 2016
They are just a Harry Potter ripoff mixed with most cliché anime characters, aren't they? People hyped it like it was something actually good and not yet another subpar LN with a bad adaptation.
Jul 7, 2023 10:50 AM

Nov 2016
Was a bit sceptical due to the cookie cutter character designs and art, but looks and feels pretty nice so far(me definitely not biased because of J.C. Staff)

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 7, 2023 10:51 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Okay yeah i think we need to watch atleast 3 episodes.
This one felt underwhelming tbh. But i wait.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Jul 7, 2023 11:17 AM

Apr 2015
boring and cheap. 
I thought this was a good LN? Why was this shit hyped up? That's barely watchable even for me (and I like trash shows)
Jul 7, 2023 11:19 AM
May 2021
seems alright. world building isn't bad but it kind of dumped a lot of information all at once. and the scene where the (i assume main cast) introduced themselves to eachother was kind of cringey. it was like the first day of a new school year in elementary school when the teacher makes everyone stand up and say their name, a fun fact about themselves, and what they did over the summer. just very awkward, lmao.

main character seems to be an important person in the world considering his brother sent someone to keep watch over him. unless it's just an overprotective sibling thing. and i wonder what's up with that samurai girl. and that flashback when she was in the fountain caught my attention too. someone from the mc's past maybe?

hoping it doesn't go downhill and at least stays at the same quality, or preferably, gets better.
My 2023 candies:
Jul 7, 2023 11:25 AM

Nov 2013
Samurai girl is already best girl of the season, no need to watch anything else lol
i can't believe half the things she does, specially telling the principal about her headache tricks :D

the book guy reminds me of Hermione, non magic parents and always reading
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Jul 7, 2023 11:37 AM
Apr 2023
just another typical fantasy really very dissapointed I was thinking like some kind of the eminence in shadow plot lmaoo my bad
Jul 7, 2023 11:46 AM

Aug 2013
Doesn't really have any substance nothing to pull the viewer in. Hopefully it'll get more interesting.
Jul 7, 2023 11:47 AM

Apr 2013
Not a bad start for the series. I was a bit surprised to see Theresa so soon, did she really appear that early in the novels? I wasn't remembering that, wondering if they did it to start giving the idea that something's afoot right from the first episode; or if I just genuinely forgot she first spoke that early.

Animation is good (no CGI for monsters is pretty rare nowadays and we saw several monsters so pretty fancy start), pacing seems fine too. Voice acting and music was on point. Characters were nicely introduced IMO?
Though I found it pretty funny that the anime appearance for Kimberley is quite literally the Mt St Michel :

The reference is super clear, looks like Mt St Michel just moved on the other side of the channel to be in 'not-England' lol. I was like "wait a min, pretty I've seen that appearance somewhere before..." well at least this time it's not that stupid round city seen in so many fantasy anime lol x).

-----------
BTW Some peoples here seem to forget that it's a novel adaptation, not a manga. Manga are published chapter per chapter so they need to catching the interest of the readers by the first chapter, which translates in anime adaptation often providing attention catching events from the first episode; meanwhile novels are published obviously per volume, so they only need to grab reader's interest by the end of the first volume (Web novels being excluded from this, being released by chapters as well). Hence why when you get a novel adaptation, you will often get a relatively slow paced start with no major event in potentially several episodes, as one volume is adapted in 3 to 12 episodes depending of the adaptation pacing (probably will be 5 eps per volume here since it's 15 episodes ?).

----
Oh and as for fanservice, don't expect especially, or at least, none of the regular kind. This was kind of the only regular ecchi scene in the whole novel after all.
ZefyrisJul 7, 2023 11:55 AM
Jul 7, 2023 11:48 AM

Dec 2018
this went by so quickly, the cast seems really well balanced and thought out though im still a bit confused by the setting and where the story will go.
Jul 7, 2023 11:54 AM

Jul 2021
The script is not good. Very unnatural dialogue and sequence of events. I cringe a bit at the way some of the characters interact. And I can't believe that was 23 minutes, it felt like 10. Nothing happened, like Unrivaled cheat isekai from last season, but at least it didn't look like ass.

Also, the "hari pouta" vibe is strong here.
Jul 7, 2023 12:19 PM
Aug 2018
KennaIsANerd said:
seems alright. world building isn't bad but it kind of dumped a lot of information all at once. and the scene where the (i assume main cast) introduced themselves to eachother was kind of cringey. it was like the first day of a new school year in elementary school when the teacher makes everyone stand up and say their name, a fun fact about themselves, and what they did over the summer. just very awkward, lmao.

main character seems to be an important person in the world considering his brother sent someone to keep watch over him. unless it's just an overprotective sibling thing. and i wonder what's up with that samurai girl. and that flashback when she was in the fountain caught my attention too. someone from the mc's past maybe?

hoping it doesn't go downhill and at least stays at the same quality, or preferably, gets better.
i preferably more ecchi/fanservice in this anime serie
Jul 7, 2023 12:27 PM
Jul 2015
IhnalakoKaina said:
The script is not good. Very unnatural dialogue and sequence of events. I cringe a bit at the way some of the characters interact. And I can't believe that was 23 minutes, it felt like 10.

I agree on every bit except the last sentence. It was so hard to watch that it felt like an hour or something.
Jul 7, 2023 12:28 PM
Aug 2020
Nothing new for the moment, i will wait max 3 ep before to really decide to drop it but it doesn’t worth a 8 for this first episode…
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jul 7, 2023 12:28 PM
Aug 2015
Been in my radar for a while, and its looking to be pretty decent so far. Kinda disappointed on how the art turned out to be though, it looked really generic even compared to the LN. Music was weirdly high quality throughout the episode, it might be one of the reasons for me to keep watching. It felt like it had pretty high budget scoring
Jul 7, 2023 12:37 PM

Oct 2014
Quite surprising how this is quite underrated.
Jul 7, 2023 12:37 PM

Jun 2021
Didn't really like it....

Acting all goody two shoes while the characters are saying it has some dark fantasy setup? Does it actually have dark story or they are just saying that to make the anime a little more appealing. And what's up with all those goody characters? The female lead came from a battlefield/warzone and acting like that, did they throw bunnies at her in that war and some of them scratched her body or some messed up screw loose girl she is! I don't like being deceived like this.

Felt like it's one of those kids anime where nothing bad ever happens even with dark story, I don't know correct me if I'm wrong. And what's wrose they added a tsundere boy,,,,, a boy? Not a girl! (Could it be a reverse trap? Hardly)

If it's all fake and the characters are faking it I will drop it.

Edit: they are a bunch of magic users all of them with swords around their waist and the only one out of place is that Samurai girl? I am speechless.
OP_RiderJul 7, 2023 1:00 PM
Yandere_@lover
Jul 7, 2023 12:40 PM
Nov 2019
i genuinely wanted this anime to be good disclaimer i haven't read the manga or anything related to this so this is my first impression .

the animation is fairly average i know jc staff doesn't really scream high quality animation especially if you just started watching anime recently but I'm a fan of toaru so therefore i know what they're capable of. this show however have a average quality of animation however who knows this might change in the future.

the plot tho is average but not sow average that it's bad but given the right circumstances it could've been good

the characters however is annoying to say the least. the side character that was introduced is just a bland
the girl with straigh bangs is another damsel in distress annoying preachy character the guy character is just the typical guy character like imagine every anime you've watch and look at the guy friend of the mc of those anime it's exactly like those. the protagonist or the mc is bland but still interesting enough. the samurai girl is a good addition she's a stereotypical character but because of how bland the background is it kinda makes her pop out
Jul 7, 2023 12:46 PM

Jun 2021
Shinoa____Hiragi said:
just another typical fantasy really very dissapointed I was thinking like some kind of the eminence in shadow plot lmaoo my bad

Me too, what a disappointment.
And the troll fight scene they had, Oh my god talk about cringe. But can't even compare it to a cringe, lol.

Ps: if it just gave me one good reason, I would've watched the rest of the episodes.
Yandere_@lover
Jul 7, 2023 12:52 PM
Sep 2020
Sharri said:
sr
They are just a Harry Potter ripoff mixed with most cliché anime characters, aren't they? People hyped it like it was something actually good and not yet another subpar LN with a bad adaptation.
it's only the first episode you moron! and there are doing a pretty good job with the adaptation right now.
Jul 7, 2023 12:54 PM

Jul 2014
Well they certainly covered a lot of ground.  Too bad all of it was poorly done.
Jul 7, 2023 12:55 PM
May 2021
Tachi27 said:
KennaIsANerd said:

i preferably more ecchi/fanservice in this anime serie

aren't they highschoolers?... also shows don't need fan service to be good. imo fan service actually makes shows worse, but to each their own i guess
My 2023 candies:
Jul 7, 2023 1:00 PM
Sep 2020
well I can say that this was a great episode and I'm Excited to see where this will go!
Jul 7, 2023 1:09 PM

Mar 2013
Finally, something without the ISEKAI tag and just plain FANTASY. After watching this first episode, this looks like a fun and interesting series. They didn't just focus on one character but 7 of them all at once in just a single episode.

However, I am perplexed to see another trope of a cool-beauty samurai girl being an airheaded-idiot for this series. I guess this will be something to look forward to.

I think I'd rather have Katie to be the main girl but it is obviously plain as day that Nanao will be the main girl... a bit disappointed but whatever.
CrazyButNot4UJul 7, 2023 1:13 PM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jul 7, 2023 1:14 PM
Nov 2022
I hope that later there will be something that makes the mc stand Out in some way
Jul 7, 2023 1:34 PM

Apr 2013
OP_Rider said:
Didn't really like it....

Felt like it's one of those kids anime where nothing bad ever happens even with dark story, I don't know correct me if I'm wrong.

I 'll try to not spoil anything on the current anime and just point out that this is an author who has shown through his previous works that he doesn't hesitate to kill his main characters at all. Not even the most popular ones, if it serves the story on the long run. So you can rest assured that the "nothing bad ever happen" is not going to be a thing when the first thing the main characters are told is that 20% of the student body dies before graduation. Obviously though, that doesn't mean that any of the main characters are going to die in the first few years and therefore in the anime since it's probably going to cover only the first year and maybe a part of the second year, while they'll be studying there for 7 years, so can't promise anything on that part. But you can trust the author for not writing a story that promise tragedy and death and doesn't deliver on it afterwards, that's all I can say x).

As for them being surprised of seeing a samurai despite having sword themselves, they're spellcasters that can fence as part of their magic manipulation, rather than pure swordsmen. If we were talking with Final Fantasy traditional jobs, it'd be pretty much like like a school for Red Mages seeing a Samurai joining their school. You can bet they'd be intrigued.

Now, is it satisfying to you or not, it's up to you; but maybe it'd be better to stop aggressing every single person in the thread that enjoyed the episode lol ^^"
ZefyrisJul 7, 2023 2:05 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hype? LN readers where you at?

RealityChanges - May 7

28 by MRD_Crowe »»
Sep 6, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2023

114 by zcv45 »»
Aug 23, 7:42 PM

» This harry potter mess was pretty bad.

xsilicon9 - Jul 27

19 by Animillion »»
Jul 31, 6:04 PM

» what's wrong with it? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Jul 14, 2023

92 by 8oomer »»
Jul 12, 9:14 AM

» In which way this is an LGBT anime?

Dije - Apr 22

37 by RioAl »»
Jul 8, 4:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.