Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 29, 2020 8:01 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The training arc of Natsume continues from the last episode, landing Kaburagi's pet Gadoll Pipe into mortal danger, and the true fear of being a Gear is shoved right in her face, with imminent death if not careful.

What was once a small horde of Gadoll, became something even more deadly, and the more experienced Gears took it out with precision and ease. To be spotted by the best of the best Gear around (Kurenai) is a privilege indeed in prowess and strength, and the invitation is on into The Power.

The next big project of Deca-Dence: an ice battle into the depths of even stronger and fearful Gadolls. And Natsume's inclusion has both the digital world and the Deca-Dence in all ears, as the first bug to be converted from a Tanker to a Gear, and earning distant friendships for breaking the status quo.

The world out there is harsh, and Kaburagi's pointer to Natsume is a two-way conflict: remain being a Gear, and things will only get bad from here on out. I understand Natsume's point to be strong since her father's death when she was young (before her malfunctioned chip), but Kaburagi's way to inject the tradition was just a one-way street and only serves to draw the line even more, much less earn the ire from everyone else to remain as they are.

I'd admire Natsume's thinking as a malfunctioned bug to break this line of code, because while everyone is tuned to the digital world, Natsume isn't, and being a REAL human being, she's got guts to make a difference.

OH NO...the digital world has got their eyes on Natsume, and the event's on.

Action-oriented episode, and I'd wish people don't sleep on this show, because it's getting better.
Jul 29, 2020 8:03 AM

Apr 2019
KANlen09, bro the anime hasn't even finished airing.

Maybe watching, maybe reading, probably living
Jul 29, 2020 8:07 AM

Jul 2017
2life said:
KANlen09, bro the anime hasn't even finished airing.
It actually did, and don't ask where to watch.
Jul 29, 2020 8:14 AM
Oct 2016
Very sad atmosphere this episode like an impending doom hoovering overhead. Which is sort of the case once we learn that this so called Gadoll nest is just a death trap for the Gears whom are heading there thinking they're gonna end the fight. Like a boss fight in the game you're meant to lose. A setup for disaster thats meant to make the virtual players look awesome coming in to save the day. Really horrible for the Gears and Tankers and everyone in the Deca Dence. The operators of the game are kinda sick doing this. Lots of tense moments with Kaburagi trying to get Natsume to abandon fighting in this since he knows they're meant to lose and all die. Not being able to tell her why makes it that much harder. Natsume herself having to reflect on what her dad used to say, digging deep to realize what it is she's really fighting for. To gain that self confidence she's never had, to stand talk despite what everyone has told her throughout her life. If next episodes action looks as good as the way this one had at the beginning we'll be in for a treat. Kaburagi gotta save her.
Oct 2016
Very sad atmosphere this episode like an impending doom hoovering overhead. Which is sort of the case once we learn that this so called Gadoll nest is just a death trap for the Gears whom are heading there thinking they're gonna end the fight. Like a boss fight in the game you're meant to lose. A setup for disaster thats meant to make the virtual players look awesome coming in to save the day. Really horrible for the Gears and Tankers and everyone in the Deca Dence. The operators of the game are kinda sick doing this. Lots of tense moments with Kaburagi trying to get Natsume to abandon fighting in this since he knows they're meant to lose and all die. Not being able to tell her why makes it that much harder. Natsume herself having to reflect on what her dad used to say, digging deep to realize what it is she's really fighting for. To gain that self confidence she's never had, to stand talk despite what everyone has told her throughout her life. If next episodes action looks as good as the way this one had at the beginning we'll be in for a treat. Kaburagi gotta save her.

Jan 2009
Natsume become badass in this episode she got the talent to be a warrior and that belief of hers that she does not actually want to change the world but she just wants to change herself nice one

and lol Demon Slayer is that you? ye deep breathing techniques is good for calming you down

Jul 29, 2020 8:27 AM

Jan 2014
Damn, she's really had her dreams crushed over and over damn. Real concerned for her next week by the sounds of it.
Jul 29, 2020 8:31 AM

Jul 2014
Damn, the more episodes I watch the complex world this anime has is more clear. Sad thing that people got the wrong idea about this show(2nd episode), it's amazing.

Also this episode was SO motivational holy potatoes. Like in that flashback, everyone was against her wish to fight, and she got so much of it, that she was over it, and actually turned back, I don't know about other people, but that scene meant, and it still means a lot for me. Again, amazing episode 10/10, loved it
Jul 29, 2020 8:39 AM

Feb 2019
This was an amazing episode. The fight sequence at the beginning was awesome, NUT are a really underrated studio.

Kabu has really grown to care for Natsume a lot. Almost revealed the truth about the world to her there in an effort to get her to avoid the fight.

Of course, knowing her, she’s going to go anyway. Unfortunately, I think we’ll see a lot of death next week and a tonal shift in the series. but we’ll have to wait for next week to see.

Natsume discovering her reason for wanting to be out there fighting is a crucial moment in her development too. Can’t take the next step until you’re honest with yourself.

People are really sleep on this show.
Jul 29, 2020 8:40 AM

Jan 2020
Man I love waking up to a new episode of Deca-Dence!

I forgot how good the combat animation is in this show. It flows smoothly, the perspective changes arent too jarring, and every action is clear. God, this studio knows what they're doing.

With all the flip-flopping that Natsume was doing on whether or not to join the fight, I almost hoped that she wouldn't. Natsume better come out of this okay.

But bruh, KanLen09, maybe refrain from letting out spoilers in the episode thread? I don't mind spoilers for most shows, but im pretty invested in this one and id like to watch it blind.

Bandori is love <3 Bandori is life <3
Jul 29, 2020 9:10 AM

Jul 2020
Say, I enjoyed this episode, but what was that little tad bit flashback with Kaburagi when the two were in conflict about whether she should go into battle. Was that just Kaburagi's imagination or was it some kind of foreshadowing? Also, what kind of motive does the corporation have to drag this endless pain of death and sorrow for the Gears (well, the humans ofc)?

This anime keeps getting better and better...
Jul 29, 2020 9:17 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I totally understand how Natsume think, it's hard to get self-confidence while most people just don't trust on her, I guess she'll have to prove to herself and to the others that she can do it.
The next battle agaisnt the gadolls seems interesting, I hope the show will keep that great characters development
Jul 29, 2020 9:18 AM

Jan 2016
Another great episode!

Natsume's hard training showed in this fight and everyone was impressed, especially Kurenai-san, she was impressed so much that she invited Natsume to The Power.

The hardest fight in the history is about to begin and Natsume again not listening to anyone is going to the field to do her very best and prove herself.

Good luck, Natsume~!

Jul 29, 2020 9:20 AM

Jan 2009
with how fast the story and character development pacing of this anime is this might be just a 1 cour show so 13 episodes at most

Kurenai is really sexy hot too and badass

Natsume really understands Gandhi too "be the change you want to see in the world"

Jul 29, 2020 9:27 AM

Apr 2019
deg said:
Natsume become badass in this episode she got the talent to be a warrior and that belief of hers that she does not actually want to change the world but she just wants to change herself nice one

and lol Demon Slayer is that you? ye deep breathing techniques is good for calming you down

demon slayer?? Thats JoJo hamon breathing!!

Maybe watching, maybe reading, probably living
Jul 29, 2020 9:37 AM

Oct 2017
The first half was cool, Natsume was pretty bad ass when she fought those Gadolls.

So a big fight's coming which is supposed to be the last fight and it's gonna start in episode 5. I hope this doesn't last the entire 8 episodes left lol.

Welp tbh I still can't take things seriously even thou this is a really serious situation. Whenever I think the people from real world are all cartoon like any hint of seriousness leaves my mind. This anime kinda fails to portray the importance of the lives of npcs.
Jul 29, 2020 9:43 AM

Jul 2017
breebearani said:
But bruh, KanLen09, maybe refrain from letting out spoilers in the episode thread? I don't mind spoilers for most shows, but im pretty invested in this one and id like to watch it blind.
I'm watching it blind as well, not to say that my strength in Japanese is any better. But take it as you will of how I choose to interpret scene by scene.
Jul 29, 2020 9:52 AM

Jul 2017
y'know I'm starting to think we should just let studio Nut handle all aerial fight scenes lol, animation was superb.

But wow, so the deca dence world even has its own events and is planning on purposefully killing off most of its crew just to bring back to old ones. Literally a 'why are we here, just to suffer?' top kek

KANLen09 said:
And Natsume's inclusion has both the digital world and the Deca-Dence in all ears, as the first bug to be converted from a Tanker to a Gear, and earning distant friendships for breaking the status quo.

well no one even knows that Natsume is a 'bug' anyways (apart from Kabu) so she's not really raising any eyes lmao

breebearani said:

but it's.....an original? Where would any spoilers even come from lol?
Jul 29, 2020 9:56 AM

Jul 2017
Short_Circut said:
KANLen09 said:
And Natsume's inclusion has both the digital world and the Deca-Dence in all ears, as the first bug to be converted from a Tanker to a Gear, and earning distant friendships for breaking the status quo.

well no one even knows that Natsume is a 'bug' anyways (apart from Kabu) so she's not really raising any eyes lmao
Well haha, just putting out any potential plotlines out there, but it's all speculation for now.

Short_Circut said:
breebearani said:

but it's.....an original? Where would any spoilers even come from lol?
WOOOH SHOTS FIRED! Should've made this comeback statement KEK
Jul 29, 2020 10:18 AM

Dec 2014
What a incredible Episode all around.

Edit: Just found out that this is a Original, wtf.

Now I'm worried, because even tho it seems to be getting better and better in most aspects every episode, Original ending mostly seem to be shit, let's hope this is not the case here.
VenumidasJul 29, 2020 10:21 AM
Jul 29, 2020 10:25 AM
Sep 2015
Mundy is hot!

Anyway, I'm gonna predict the ending, humanity will regain its leading status and AI will be back inside computer again (including Kaburagi), and Natsume will still be able to contact with Kaburagi (as a program, like chatbot)
Jul 29, 2020 10:27 AM

Aug 2019
is it just me or is that one girl from the triplets looking like a man with boobs
Jul 29, 2020 10:29 AM

Mar 2017
From what Kaburagi was about to say but didn't finish, I'm guessing the cyborgs control 'the story' of society and therefore the battle they're all fighting isn't actually real but constructed for entertainment (or something like that).

I'm still confused though; are the people who are in The Power real humans or are they the cyborgs using avatars? Or is it a mix of both? I feel like that's info that needs to be known at this point so does anyone know?
Jul 29, 2020 10:29 AM

Mar 2017
From what Kaburagi was about to say but didn't finish, I'm guessing the cyborgs control 'the story' of society and therefore the battle they're all fighting isn't actually real but constructed for entertainment (or something like that).

I'm still confused though; are the people who are in The Power real humans or are they the cyborgs using avatars? Or is it a mix of both? I feel like that's info that needs to be known at this point so does anyone know?
Jul 29, 2020 10:35 AM

Dec 2015
Interesting. I Guess we'll get some more infos next episode or the episode after that. With either the A-rankers and tankers winning (which is not expected by the "system") or Kabu intervening earlier than planned.
Jul 29, 2020 10:39 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I get the feeling that the death toll in the next episode is going to be Tominoesque.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 29, 2020 10:49 AM

Jul 2019
katie_potaty said:

It has been said before that there are about 200 tankers " normal humans" and about 50000 gears "cyborgs" iirc in the power
VP2003boiJul 29, 2020 12:28 PM
Jul 29, 2020 10:52 AM

Feb 2020
One more episode of Deca-Dence!
Really sad atmosphere this time, with all the cruel reality in front of Nasume, showing her that battle field is for real and you can actually die.
Also Kaburagi continuing with his sensei- protector role and now, trying to save Pipe too.

Really good episode, very solid and with a great fight!

Waiting for next week!!
Jul 29, 2020 10:59 AM
Mar 2015
Natsume decides to fight
Jul 29, 2020 11:00 AM

Sep 2016
I really hope they don't kill Natsume next episode just for the sake of a twist, I'll probably drop this if that happened. Honestly, the only reason I'm enjoying this show as much as I do is because of her and Kaburagi interactions.
Jul 29, 2020 11:03 AM

Dec 2016
Damn, she have so many dreams being crushed all the time and the stacks are so friking high, I hope they don't drop the ball tho.
snowykevin said:
is it just me or is that one girl from the triplets looking like a man with boobs

The first time I saw her I tough "damn, this man have a really feminine voice".
heh.
Jul 29, 2020 11:31 AM

Jun 2016
katie_potaty said:

This much should have been obvious since the beginning of episode two.

katie_potaty said:

Gears = Cyborgs

Tankers = Humans

The Power = ~50.000 Gears + ~200 Tankers

extralie said:
I really hope they don't kill Natsume next episode just for the sake of a twist, I'll probably drop this if that happened.

Unlikely, she's probably going to get saved by Kaburagi who most likely ends up doing something that upsets the "higher ups" at the company.
Jul 29, 2020 11:43 AM

Apr 2010
Ok i dont like this to be some kind of RPG game with humans being npc or whatever but im not going to quit tho..
Jul 29, 2020 11:48 AM

Mar 2017
VP2003boi said:
katie_potaty said:

It has been said before that there are about 200 tankers " normal humans" and about 50000 gears "cyborgs" iirc

Ooooh! I see, but if the Gears are the cyborgs wouldn't that mean that the real humans know the cyborgs exist?
Jul 29, 2020 11:50 AM

Jun 2016
katie_potaty said:
VP2003boi said:
It has been said before that there are about 200 tankers " normal humans" and about 50000 gears "cyborgs" iirc

Ooooh! I see, but if the Gears are the cyborgs wouldn't that mean that the real humans know the cyborgs exist?

They know the gears exist but they don't know what the gears really are.
Jul 29, 2020 12:07 PM
Jul 2019
So, finally Natsume is able to get what she has been hoping for quite sometime and is joining the Power....

Here a question, let's just say by some miracle them human were able to finish off them Gadoll to the point that they're extinct what will happen to them????
Jul 29, 2020 12:16 PM

Jun 2016
Horn_dawg_2019 said:
Here a question, let's just say by some miracle them human were able to finish off them Gadoll to the point that they're extinct what will happen to them????

Like Kaburagi said that's never going to happen because there is no "nest" in the first place. The only conceivable scenario in which the Gadoll are "defeated for good" is if the company decides to shut down the game which would also be the end of the humans living in there unless they find another way to monetize them or sell them of to another megacorporation.
Jul 29, 2020 12:31 PM

May 2019
Of course Natsume decides to fight smh, such a shounen protagonist thing to do. It was foolish of me to hope for a logical decision instead of an emotional one. Why would she listen to her master anyway, right?

I'm sure she'll somehow get out alive but I hope she at least gets a lesson in the process.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Jul 29, 2020 12:31 PM

May 2019
Of course Natsume decides to fight smh, such a shounen protagonist thing to do. It was foolish of me to hope for a logical decision instead of an emotional one. Why would she listen to her master anyway, right?

I'm sure she'll somehow get out alive but I hope she at least gets a lesson in the process.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Jul 29, 2020 12:46 PM

Oct 2019
Noumu said:
Horn_dawg_2019 said:

Like Kaburagi said that's never going to happen because there is no "nest" in the first place. The only conceivable scenario in which the Gadoll are "defeated for good" is if the company decides to shut down the game which would also be the end of the humans living in there unless they find another way to monetize them or sell them of to another megacorporation.

Yea, I agree with ya. Especially the way Kaburagi also mentions the fight has been going on for years and in his sentence he says "This world is manu--". I am 89% certain he was trying to say the is manufactured.
Additionally, in the scene where Natsume arrives to the food hall, the gears say "To World Peace", "Feels great every time we say it, doesn't it?" "But we've done it at least 30 times!"
That can be construed in a few ways. That they have been at this "last supper" for a bit and have spouted 'To World Peace" multiple times. Or, it could mean that there have been multiple instances where there was a last battle which was never truly a last battle.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Jul 29, 2020 12:47 PM

Apr 2020
Natsume is about to show Kabu that things CAN actually change^^

I really like Kurenai. Cool Design.
Wonder how much she know's about the Gears and the Game, since she's a Tanker.

Hope they go into that.
Jul 29, 2020 12:51 PM
Apr 2019
quite good episode MC gets to know her motivation,same formula...\
Jul 29, 2020 12:52 PM

Mar 2017
Noumu said:
katie_potaty said:

They know the gears exist but they don't know what the gears really are.

Oh right I see! Thanks, that cleared things up for me.
Jul 29, 2020 1:21 PM

Apr 2020
So... it was a fucking lie indeed. Artificial world. Nice episode, starting to get better.
I neither agree nor disagree, on the contrary.
Jul 29, 2020 1:52 PM

Jan 2020
KANLen09 said:
breebearani said:
I'm watching it blind as well, not to say that my strength in Japanese is any better. But take it as you will of how I choose to interpret scene by scene.

Oop I accidentally read what you wrote originally in the completely wrong way. My big dumb brain making assumptions haha. Sorry about that

Bandori is love <3 Bandori is life <3
Jul 29, 2020 1:53 PM

Feb 2017
Another good shonen episode, this time a fighting with monsters, last chapter the training phase.

Except the second episode it's the typical shonen with good fighting animations.

- Attack of titan universe
- Kimetsu no Yaiba techniques

It's a shame that Linmei and Fei don't have to much screen time.
Only 12 episodes are not enought to have a good development for a Original Animation :(

Jul 29, 2020 2:05 PM

Feb 2014
Despite the circumstances, Natsume did bloody well in the underground fight against the Gadoll. She was able to help Kaburagi when it came to saving Pipe from certain death and her skills didn't go unnoticed, thankfully. =)

However, Natsume ended up getting too much grief towards her during the preparations for the next big mission. Getting shouted by a fellow soldier after her mechanical arm acted up, her best friend doesn't want to talk to her anymore and Kaburagi getting too physical with her when he tried to persuade Natsume to not take part in the mission. Poor girl needed a hug after all of that. =(

Kaburagi's reasons to stop her was due to finding out the truth of the mission itself, which means that A-Class fighters or lower have no chance of living through this mission. Despite his protests, Natsume has made up her mind and is taking part in this mission.

The next episode most likely will be a bloodbath, assuming that this enemy really is as tough as they say it is. I'm looking forward to seeing what Kaburagi will do next...
Jul 29, 2020 2:38 PM

May 2018
So it's just one big entertainment for some trashy chibi AI? Not really a fan of that
Jul 29, 2020 2:56 PM
Feb 2020
Bro i just find it really sad that they were set up to die because i mean in some aspects thus could actually happend irl like in dr stone and how the main villain is trying to stop senku for 'ruining the world' in a way and ensuring the last part of the story is a death trap. Helpes the robots achieve that. Off track tho if they kill kurenai im going to riot. I also wonder how kabu will save her. I swear this show gets deeper each episode kind of annoyed about the secound episode shift but now i generally think it was for the better and makes it feel unique
You know?
Jul 29, 2020 3:07 PM

Apr 2015
Considering that eventho I didn't like EP 2, this is finally growing to me! The animation is really great, I really love the sound as well!

Natsume sure is a quick learner, once she started to participate in that battle underground! She absolutely rocked after calming herself down. The action was amazing in the first half backed up with great animation and sound.

The drama was actually pretty good in the second half! Kaburagi was actually so damn close to spilling what actually is going on in that world. He sure has gotten very attached to this "bug" called Natsume to the point where he doesn't want to see her die. I wonder when the rulers of that place will figure out what Kaburagi is doing.

Natsume has come a long way after her accident which caused her (to die) to lose her hand and lower arm, she sure hadn't easy when she had to adjust to this new mechanical arm! People around her really made comments to crush her determination to be like her father! Good to see she has come to terms with the reason why she wants to fight!

This next battle sure is to be interesiting... The impossible to win battle!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

242 by AgentDuck »»
Sep 6, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2020

127 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2020

138 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Aug 5, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 22, 2020

141 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 7:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.