Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 15, 2020 2:28 PM
Jul 2020
When SAO is not a shit game and has actually good writing, It looks like Deca dence. Although some rough edges on the plot, this is lit as hell.
Jul 15, 2020 2:30 PM
Aug 2018
When i saw the first episode i was like its a mixtape of Mortal engines + aot +howls moving castle but the confusing twist just blew me away but in a negative way. Didn’t expect THIS kind of twist. Kinda heart breaking for me. If they removed such avatar plots and went on with some Trigun or Cowboy bebop style story it would have been so much fun. Nevertheless waiting for next epi
Jul 15, 2020 2:34 PM

Feb 2015
And there goes any intrest I had it the show. I feel completely miss sold. I was onboard with last week but the whole virtual world just lowered the stakes dramatically. Some loved the twist, I didn't, im afraid its a drop.
Jul 15, 2020 2:37 PM

Feb 2014
I gotta give this show props for doing something so different. Holy shit man, WHAT A TWIST!!!
Jul 15, 2020 2:39 PM

Sep 2019
unspected isekai, I see, now that got me even more interested into watching this, basically a premise of what if an npc in a online game or something like that had human consciousness, but this time the MMO is irl like that terrible movie that used criminals as avatars lul, and the npc is just a normal human instead
Jul 15, 2020 2:42 PM

Jul 2017
I give it points for creativity and being interesting, but the way they went about trying to be that was so stupid in my opinion. That was a terrible mess, that's got me a little interested to see what's gonna happen. Could easily have my rating sink much further if it gets boring or even more stupid from here.
Jul 15, 2020 2:43 PM
Feb 2020
I genuinely really liked the first episode and i really like katsume but bruh the whole alien avatar shit caught me off guard i was looking at the screen confused and annoyed that they didn't stick with the rpg things and not well do what they did i will still watch to show mainly because i like the protag but thats about it
Jul 15, 2020 2:47 PM

Apr 2015
What in the world... This episode totally crushed my expectations and I don't mean it in the good way. I am rather conflicted with the twist they have given us this episode, it was really well done, cause it came as quite the big surprise, it's just that I am not sure this direction will do it for me.

The premise and first episode had me really hooked, but the difference between the really neat art style and the cartoonish robot stuff that we got introduced to is really off-putting. I was expecting a post-apocalyptic setting where survival is key, but seeing this now portrayed as a game of sorts.. Really don't know what I should think of this twist.

I will continue watching it, but if things will be more like this episode, than the 1st episode will be the one and only good episode. Quite disappointing.
Jul 15, 2020 2:48 PM
Apr 2016
They made a super cool universe, very charismatic characters, and they had to spoil everything with that dumb cartoon video game bullsh**

who came with this idea seriously, they set up an epic atmosphere and hook up a specific audience then they completely change of theme.
Jul 15, 2020 2:51 PM

Mar 2019
dragynfaerie said:
WITA_ said:
I. Am. So. Confused.

So. Am. I.

But I'm in! The world they're creating and the difference in classes is interesting. The avatar thing has me messed up, but I figure they'll explain it down it the line.

There are people here here already explaining better. All of what rubica said above was already shown in this episode, it's just not flat-out said on our faces.

Humans are kept at the same time as zoo specimens AND NPCs for the game thing.

A critique of society's gamification trends in our current capitalist stage. :) So I had to give this a better grade than the one I gave before... I like things like that, and the Matrix / Avatar -like logic it's something I enjoy.

edit - ps. I REALLY don't get how people can write a review for an original anime they've only saw the first episode.
my dark magical girl webseries
https://unsafemahoushoujo.wordpress.com/blog/
Jul 15, 2020 2:55 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Oh, wow, so Natsume was a bug to that world? I mean, the fuck with the world-building on this show? I felt so lost when seeing the first part and continued with the second sequences. Oh, man, i even felt some clicheness on Natsume and the entities surrounding her. Whatever. Lets just see the next episode to knewing what was goin on that happened there
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 15, 2020 3:00 PM

Mar 2018
Interesting how divisive this second episode is. I have the same mixed reaction as everyone else. I am really confused, but this will still probably be an enjoyable time
Jul 15, 2020 3:05 PM

Nov 2012
Kind of an odd change, not quite sure what to think of it but still definitely interested.
Jul 15, 2020 3:28 PM
Oct 2013
Honestly I don't understand how people say the "premise of the first episode was good."

The first episode was just the same shit we all saw again and again and again. Mobile cities, big bug monsters, wastelands, humanity is at its dying breath yadda yadda.
WE'VE SEEN THAT SO MANY TIME ALREADY.

Episode 1 barely interested me. It had some intriguing point but it was basically Koukaku no Regios 2020. Or Darling in the FranXXX 2020 if you want something more recent. And Regios did it better all those years ago.
Heck Sidonia no Kishi is basically the same thing too.

So this episode 2 actually was a very pleasant surprise.

Turns out episode 1 was just the viewpoints of the NPCs. As far as I understand, humans are basically kept in a sort of Zoo, and the "corporation" send AI in the game to protect them under the guise of a game. The huge skin color disparity of episode 1 was also logical : the AI can create the physical avatar they want with the skin they want, just like a character in a MMORPG. Though when they die in the "game", they have to restart everything from zero.

We kept the post-apocaliptic story, but only from the actual human viewpoint. They are just pawns.

I'm eager to see how it will develop. Maybe it will fail hard, but for now it has a very strong start with very good ideas.
Jul 15, 2020 3:33 PM
Dec 2018
I wasn't sure of the visuals/directing in episode 1, now I'm digging it. I wasn't sure of the story/characters in episode 1, now I'm digging it. This show is currently sitting at a comparitively low(to Re:Zero, GoHS, and Oregairu) 7.4, but at this rate it mind end up being the sickest show of the season. It's really special for now, we might be sitting on gold here.
Jul 15, 2020 3:35 PM
Jul 2020
Man... this is absolutely crazy. I was in the shock all the way through the episode I need to rewatch this but I am definetly watching this
Jul 15, 2020 3:46 PM

Nov 2018
Ok, this got from slightly interesting atack on titan rip-off to "wtf is going on", to very interesting in a matter of minutes.
TougenJul 15, 2020 3:51 PM
Jul 15, 2020 3:47 PM

Mar 2018
The story is getting interesting, I’m still confused but I think the world is ruled by “The system” and now humans are forced to fight for survival.
Jul 15, 2020 3:50 PM
Jan 2019
Guys, is this still an Attack on Titan clone?
Jul 15, 2020 3:52 PM

Nov 2012
transphinx said:

There are people here here already explaining better. All of what rubica said above was already shown in this episode, it's just not flat-out said on our faces.

Humans are kept at the same time as zoo specimens AND NPCs for the game thing.

A critique of society's gamification trends in our current capitalist stage. :) So I had to give this a better grade than the one I gave before... I like things like that, and the Matrix / Avatar -like logic it's something I enjoy.

edit - ps. I REALLY don't get how people can write a review for an original anime they've only saw the first episode.

Thanks.

I agree. I think writing a review for anything that you've only seen a couple of episodes for is idiotic. They do the same for Asian dramas. It's so stupid. It's 24 episodes long and you write a review based off of episode 1. Really?
Jul 15, 2020 4:25 PM

Sep 2017
What a crazy, and apparently very controversial, plot twist. I already came out of ep one feeling like I had quite a few questions, but this completely flipped the script. Well I'm on board with this wacky shit and definitely will be looking forward to seeing how they will develop the world and story.
Jul 15, 2020 4:34 PM
Jul 2020
Its like Matrix and WestWorld..... I love it so much 🤩🤩🤩

Very excited for new adventure after watched Brand New Animal
Brand_newJul 15, 2020 4:39 PM
Jul 15, 2020 4:37 PM

Jun 2013
wait what the fuck?! it's a video game but why?
Jul 15, 2020 4:40 PM

Jul 2017
For all the bantering of a change in atmosphere, I'd say that this episode gives me more questions than answers that I don't really know how to respond to (but will try my best).

OH SO WHAT, a VRMMO ripoff for a plot twist? Seeing all the avatars (this was ACTUALLY hinted at Episode 1) was...something. But NGL, this while quite abnormal for such a good setting buildup, we get to see the general world-building. Sadly as the minority, I kinda enjoyed this TBH.

Although Kaburagi is shown to be the "system admin" of the overworld, I believe that he also has limited power of control (and with it, the easy manipulation of power) and we get to understand how his job of "collecting bugs" control his state over the system correcting itself, as a punishment to confinement.

On Natsume's issue though, she is DEFINITELY a real human, and is incomprehensible to the entire situation surrounding Deca-Dence. A bug living in a world that's trying to be rid of one.

The confusion is there, but the answers we find will be shown down the timeline.

A mixed-feeling, but good episode. Pretty wild and original, yet inspiring for a high risk that not everyone will take kindly to originality (or wherever that will go).
KANLen09Jul 15, 2020 4:53 PM
Jul 15, 2020 5:09 PM

Feb 2020
WTF...So Confused and Huh,I'll give 2-3 eps for this series,if it's still makes me confused,I will drop it.
Jul 15, 2020 5:25 PM

Aug 2015
I mean I get why authors these days don't try anything new anymore these days, cause people are not used to things that are not familiar to them and reject them.
This should have been just another Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress right ? Another Post-Apocalpyse, cause that would satisfy anyone, cause that is familiar ? What a joke.

I won't overpraise this show, yet the exposition dump at the start was kinda necessary, but also a bit annoying. Still this show has something that a lot of the shows that are not already expected to be good don't have and that is potential.
Jul 15, 2020 5:26 PM
May 2016
After rewatching the past 2 eps again, it's pretty neat just how much was foreshadowed for this ep in seemingly obvious ways looking back with foresight. Yeah, this seems like it has the potential to be a thoroughly good ride. Count me the fuck in
Jul 15, 2020 5:47 PM

Jan 2018
DumbCat said:
Nainu_ said:
Bruh, I didn't expect Kaburagi's flashback seems a lil bit cartoonish. It even advertised Deca-Dence like a RPG. Oh well, so the Kaburagi in human form was an avatar controlled by a non-human, if I'm correct. Paying the price due to that limit release. So, Dio here is like an admin owned by the company.

Looks like a new dystopia has been introduced in this Deca-Dence. This worldbuilding is truly amazing. Cannot wait for the next episode.

He is not the admin, probably just lower management or something from what it seeems

But in this case, you cannot deny the fact that he's one of the important managers of the company.

-----

Bruh, the plot twist generated much discussion. This cannot be answered in this episode. We'll just have to wait around the next one.
Jul 15, 2020 5:50 PM
Apr 2020
Well I’m confused haha. I have many questions and I was thrown everywhere trying to understand. Hopefully it’s gets more clearer along the show cause it definitely has potential :)
Jul 15, 2020 5:58 PM

Mar 2016
Somehow that entire revelation felt soooo underwhelming.
Jul 15, 2020 6:03 PM
Sep 2013
dellionfinite said:
So what's up with this whole avatar thing?? It seemed in the first episode that the setting was some dystopian world where humans were confined to live within a movable fortress, and it was the responsibility of a select few to eliminate the monsters that threatened mankind. Now we get a whole new premise in episode 2 where it seems that humans are controlled through "chips" by some small, weird game avatars or whatever. And the entire thing seems to be a game of some sort where these tiny avatars are ranked and the whole fortress is the scheme of some corporation. Hopefully they do a lot more to explain this whacky plot because I know I'm not alone when I say that I am very confused.

I think what it is, is the world, humans, and monsters are all real. All humans are chipped to be monitored by the system. Then underneath it all are these alien robots who have decided that it would be great for capitalism basically to make a game out of this world. So they can create avatars to fight the monsters with, hence why most of them look a little funny, and they can blend in with the humans if they want to. Kind of like SAO Alicization. So I don't think any humans are actually being controlled just monitored. All of the "Power" as they call them are the robot's avatars. Then the bugs are anything that could potentially harm or endanger the system in any way such as a human without a chip. I think? This is beyond bizarre.
Jul 15, 2020 6:05 PM
Jun 2020
Uhm whoa im confused
Jul 15, 2020 6:07 PM

Jul 2014
I was working on something while watching this, but I had to drop the work and focus completely on this episode because everything was getting ridiculously weird.
Jul 15, 2020 6:07 PM

Jun 2013
Very interesting show . So the basic idea , or what i caught on so far (spoiler Warning ) Is that Earth Has been turned into the environment where this game is played. Most likely these monsters were created by the same aliens that run DecaDence . Human got wiped out in the process of implementing this game and the remaining one just got implemented in the maintenance system of the complex. Just like small fishes picking out the microbes on whales. They are allowed to live only if they don't disrupt the system " bug out" . The robots themselves act as players or avatar for players from a far off place . They gain a flesh body and level depending on their performance or ranking , just like a within a Monster Hunter Like Game. I don't think they are the actual " players " since they seem to depend on audience appeal and performance stats , and if they don't hit their targets , they get scrapped for other projects. So the only ones that gain from this system is the overlords from the company , and the players that form the audience and comment on the robots rankings ( like we see in the first part of the episode) . Any other ideas ?
Jul 15, 2020 6:09 PM
Aug 2017
Ehh? What?

Ok. First episode I really liked the cute n' funny MC and world-building they did, also animation was pretty nice at times. The start of this episode somehow ruined the mood the first episode had set and I'm not sure where this is headed anymore. Really don't like the design of the "virtual" world and the beings there but the plot seems kinda interesting. Not sure if that's interesting in a good or a bad way yet but this was so unexpected.

First episode was straight up Trigger vibes with unexplained alien species attacking humanity. Second one we have different virtual aliens playing a game that actually seems to be a real world? So confused but I'll keep watching to see where this goes.
Jul 15, 2020 6:17 PM

Aug 2016
Wouldn't she eventually figure out she's living in some sort of simulation?
She legit almost found out from that skin shop.

She can't possibly live in that world forever without knowing; eventually she'll have to be assassinated by the organization.
So he might as well just take her out now and save everyone the trouble.
Jul 15, 2020 6:23 PM
Oct 2018
First episode: wow that different and very good anime the story seems to be interesting. the episode 2, the protagonist does not exist and a program with a bug. biggest frustration .. quick summary
ObscureAnimeOfJul 15, 2020 6:56 PM
Jul 15, 2020 6:24 PM

Apr 2014
Crashmatt said:
And there goes any intrest I had it the show. I feel completely miss sold. I was onboard with last week but the whole virtual world just lowered the stakes dramatically. Some loved the twist, I didn't, im afraid its a drop.
>lowered stakes

so you pretty much didnt understand anything about this episode huh? nor what it would obviously foreshadow
Jul 15, 2020 6:48 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Looks like I'm in the minority here, I really like where this is going. What a plot twist haha.

Kinda sad to see some people dropping this already just because it's not exactly AoT #267438657.
Jul 15, 2020 6:49 PM
Oct 2017
Bruh, some people here are either really dumb or watched the episode wearing a blindfold
Jul 15, 2020 6:49 PM

Mar 2019
@ShinItsuwari I agree, the first episode left me cold it was too simple a premise and repetitive. Those same people criticize the same isekai or harem for not with anything original, but when they get something original they end up despising it. Instead this was unexpected and cool
Jul 15, 2020 6:58 PM
Feb 2011
Are people watching this getting too used to turning the brains off too much or something. The world is very very real and the MC can die and so can the robot players. The game part is just a blantent ad from the mega-corperation that runs the operation. There are so many posts were people get confused that this is some video game or simulation when it is the opposite it is a real world harvest of alien goop that has been gamified by the mega-corp to get their robot workers to work harder the ad is just propoganda. You don't get murdered in real life for cheating in an MMO. But you do lose your job at Amazon if you cheat the warehouse "game".

Turning mundane operations into games is a great motivational tool and great for finding the best employees even in the real world. It also can get a bit dystopian real fast given you can just cut the fat real easy.
Jul 15, 2020 7:00 PM
Mar 2011
moodie said:
Crashmatt said:
>lowered stakes

so you pretty much didnt understand anything about this episode huh? nor what it would obviously foreshadow

For real. These kinds of people have the attention span of a 4 year old. The show literally tells you that its not virtual and shows you that they straight up kill the robots too if they underperform.
Jul 15, 2020 7:25 PM

Jan 2011
wait what....wait whatttttt opening with such a random twist sent me for a ride, this explains why i was wondering what was up with these gears being so gong ho about fighting mad max style and them working for some alien cooperation

everything is still real for the tankers still not sure whats up with bugs refering to them as weak makes me think it's some kind of survival of the fittest mindset but i dunno super interested in with this goes but the overly cartoon style for the alien robots makes it kinda funny when their being so serious not to mention them kinda treating them like quirky idiots getting high of O2
Jul 15, 2020 7:40 PM

Jan 2020
WTF even was this episode, dropping this idec anymore

Jul 15, 2020 7:43 PM

May 2010
So tl;dr the cartoon looking aliens playing live-action mmorpg by raiding a remote controlled human looking mecha/golem and live with endangered species, human who's clueless that they're kept in a zoo-like situation, right?
Jul 15, 2020 7:52 PM

Jul 2020
not gonna lie that twist in the episode is decent and unique but it did not have much of an impact on me.

didn't really like the cartoony art style of the avatars but I like the premise where this show is going too.

still many questions left unanswered. gotta stick with this show, hope it pays off in the end!

I accept random friend requests!
Jul 15, 2020 7:52 PM
Apr 2016
What the f*ck was that crap?! I'm so dropping this.
Jul 15, 2020 8:02 PM
Feb 2017
I can see how this move is very much a "love it or hate it" kind of deal, because on one side it seems like the show we're getting isn't exactly the show that was advertised. On the other hand, personally? I think having a transformative extra layer really raises the quality ceiling on the entire thing. Just going by what was obvious in Ep1, the show was set to range from uninspired to kind of fun. Now? It could hit top marks. It could also fly too close to the sun, crash, and burn, but failure is always an option.

And, to my understanding, it's still "all real"; the avatars that are the Gears seem to basically be meat puppets, piloted by the consciousness of the little robot dudes that play the game. The humans are natural (referred to as an "endangered species") and for them this is a matter of life, death, and suffering that most of the botfolk who play as their protectors don't and can't have empathy for. The 'Bot leadership refers to anything it dislikes as a "Bug", and prunes those problems mercilessly both in its own people and among the human population.

If anything, I'd question the bots and their technicolor cartoon world having physical existence before questioning the Tankers being physical or not. But to me it seems like both physically exist in the universe.

With the broken robot found in Episode 1's opening by Natsume's dad moments before the Gadoll attack and the Gadoll lifeblood being the same material that serves as the robot power source, I think we might learn how the world got to be like this at some point.
Jul 15, 2020 8:08 PM

Nov 2013
WOW WHAT?!

This is not how I expected the story to turn out, but I'm really enjoying it!
So Kaburagi is owned by the System, his actual body is a robot and the human is just the avatar.
And then FMC is a bug, but also the key to the puzzle.

What a novel change in the plot! Really looking forward to what comes next.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

242 by AgentDuck »»
Sep 6, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2020

127 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2020

138 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Aug 5, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 29, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 7:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.