Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 24, 2019 7:04 AM

May 2018
So Netflix made a new Ghost in the shell anime, and i'm curious what are your thoughts or expression about the Netflix series
Oct 24, 2019 8:04 AM

Jul 2014
Thread moved from Anime Discussion
Take care of yourself

May 7, 2020 1:23 AM
Aug 2016
Netflix doesn't have the best understanding of the anime that are part of the "otaku pop culture", death note was a live action evidence, and SAC 2045 is the animated one, is not bad, ok, technically is bad, Kushinov only have one woman type, the CGI is a bit terrible but in nocturnal environments looks good, ehh... but in the plot, is simple, I'm not trying to pretend to sound smart with "GITS is a smart opus that not whoever will understand", sometimes GITS is even pretentious and overthinked, but SAC 2045 is really simple, the contextual part (first 6 episodes) is a american military movie, I was thinking "the live action doesn't understand Ghost in the Shell, but this anime doesn't understand even the live action", but then, starts GiTS, and looks more like Psycho Pass, the topics in the series (the posthumans), is a good theme and looks like they want to do something really good with this, but no, is a superficial looking, is like they doesn't trust in the people who watch this, because there are very interesting moments, and there are very fool ones, is a American Ghost in the Shell, is in the opening, is in the 6 part military movie, is in the need for resolve everything with a fight (saving the prime minister from a collective hacking could be an epic moment just for the concept and this anime make it look really cringy).

Conclusion: Ghost in the Shell, the Netflix adaptation.
May 7, 2020 2:45 AM

Jun 2016
It's just another take on the source material and it reminds me of some of the old CGI cartoons of the early 2000's but more polished. It's not Innocence, but I didn't expect it to be. It's fun and doesn't have the problem of thinking it's smarter than it is that Arise had.
May 7, 2020 3:10 AM

Apr 2020
So like, first off, kinda bugs me how people are calling it a Netflix series coz it's still Production I.G making it (with Sola doing the... Uh... "animation") and even has the same director as the OG SAC series. Like... You can't really blame Netflix for this show. They're just hosting it.

Aight now about the anime... It's 💖not very good💖 but not entirely terrible. The first few episodes are unforgivably bad but once Batou let's back to Japan things start getting better. Still no where near as good as the other SAC stuff but it's watchable. I'm still keen on the second half when that comes out. I like the direction it's going despite the rocky start.

Characters are a goddamn mess. The returning cast act more like their ARISE selves, not their SAC selves. And once again Pazu and Borma are barely in it. Looks wise they're... fine. It's a bit weird that the guys with human bods haven't aged despite it being 10 years after we last saw them and Motoko looks young. Not as young as she did in ARISE but definitely not like the mid 40s woman she is. I'm fine with this, it's just a bit weird. Also Ishikawa is out in the field and its weeiiirrrrd and he has the same haircut as Batou for some reason. Like they literally just copy-pasted that part of the model.

The new characters are a mixed bag. Standard (Clown) needed a redemption bit that he never got and just kinda disappeared after the real plot started. Purin is the bane of my existence... this gurl out here actin and talkin like she's in some CGDCT show and it DOES NOT fit the tone. She also just kinda does whatever the fuck she wants and never gets in trouble for it which bugs me so muuuuuch. Agent Smith is just Hugo Weaving and it's not even subtle and also he acts like a stereotypical villain for the first few episodes which, again, does not fit the tone of the show. Lastly we have the new Prime Minister of Japan who is honestly kinda cool. I really dig his character. Nothing bad to say here. He fits the show well and I actually found myself rooting for him.

Music is... Eh. The opening is fine and the closing is good but the rest of the OST is forgettable af.
May 7, 2020 4:44 AM

Jun 2016
I enjoyed it a bit more than arise. Having some of the original staff and cast back (especially kamiyama) made it feel more authentic and funnier. The main plot is weak and some episodes like the one with the guy in the glass cage were just terrible
. The visuals are like reverse polygon pictures and by that I mean that animation is decent but the characters look like garbage. The 2d drawings were OK, better looking than arise so that's probably an issue with translating those designs to 3d. Some of the background work is nice. The music has a blade runner vibe, does its job but it's nothing memorable like the kawai or the kanno scores of past entries.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 10, 2020 12:49 AM

May 2015
It's poor, like very poor. Arise levels of poor. Netflix should stay clear of the Ghost in the Shell franchise, please, but we know that's not going to happen.

The opening song is the most memorable part, not for good reasons too, it's one of the worst opening songs I've ever heard. The only other memorable parts were the product placement for Budweiser and Sony Walkman..
May 13, 2020 3:17 AM

Oct 2010
It was simply trash, biggest garbage I've seen in my life, and not primarily because of the cg.
May 15, 2020 6:20 PM

Mar 2012
Catalano said:
It was simply trash, biggest garbage I've seen in my life, and not primarily because of the cg.

Well, I mean you have only seen 15 anime (accordingly to your list).

It was hardly “trash.” If this was the worst anime you’ve ever seen, you are incredibly fortunate because this doesn’t hold a candle to something like Mars of Destruction or Raimuiro Senkitan in regards to dumpster fire quality. I mean shit, have you seen any of the modern day Berserks? Now there is a pile of garbage.
May 15, 2020 6:33 PM

Mar 2012
To be completely honest, I enjoyed it, but I do have to admit that it doesn’t hold a candle to the original GITS:SAC that aired in the early 2000s.

Is it as bad as everyone is making it out to be? No. I think people are egregiously overreacting because of the shit CGI (which I’ll agree sucks...I really wish they wouldn’t have animated it that way). However, I do think the story is interesting and it is pretty much the same Section 9 characters that I remember and love. I did think the plot stumbled a little out of the gate, but it felt like it was really starting to take off when they finally got the gang together and were starting to hunt down the posthumans.

I really wish they wouldn’t have broken this up into two halves though. It felt like they were finally starting to get the ball rolling toward the end and now we have to wait until God knows when they decide to release the second half. This should have either been airing episodically or released all at once. I am really not a fan of breaking it up into two halves.
May 20, 2020 12:36 AM
Oct 2019
I thought it was pretty good to be honest, the animation was rendered with a decent amount of frames so didn't look janky, the models were decent. The contrast between the background and the characters was a bit off putting, in some cases they were super detailed where as the characters were quite plain looking.

Supporting characters they barely spent any time on art wise, they did the absolute bare minimum.

The tone was off in places, I remember Ghost in the Shell to be pretty dark so where did Purin come from. Just didn't fit.
May 20, 2020 9:43 PM
May 2011
I think the story (minor-spoilers) after they left America was actually pretty good. The last handful of episodes and the Togusa and Batou spotlight episodes were a highlight for me. That said, the animation is really, REALLY bad, which is a shame since the show has a history of cutting edge animation. Also, the first few episodes are really quite abysmal as far as story-telling.

Still, I'll stand by the second half of this series and hope that the next part that gets released is as good or better.
May 21, 2020 9:39 AM
Jul 2018
The first 3 episodes impression were notably the motion physics weren't well presented at times, graphic look aged but maybe a design choice and a story that jump viewers into the middle of mission with no informed purpose which had to wait 4 episodes to start seeing progression.

Motion physics however is only bad at the minor scenes, important scenes and fight scenes actually get progressively well done in the later episode 6+ to the point is barely cringy, except lipsync is left unsynced.

Character design doesn't look equal. Major Kusanagi look like a standard render reflects to lighting well while characters like Batou look like done with cellshade, maybe that, some characters facial texture lack the complexity details end up looking basic even the clothing is too clean because lack of details. Facial issue seem to be fixed in late episodes and lastly some insufficient lighting make shadow showing unnatural fidelity outdoor daytime, few times indoor.

Design aside the first 3 episodes was hard to grasp the story was on about, i lose focus a couple times and felt like fillers until episode 5 and got me hooked on 6. Episode 7 turn into a sidestory but interesting enough. This series may have a compiling story regardless the flaws, i'm interested to see more of this with maybe little hope of improvements to the new CG. (I just bet studio likely won't make much changes.)
May 23, 2020 7:55 PM
Jan 2018
Catalano said:

Check out Ou-sama Game, or Glasslip, and get back to me on this "biggest garbage I've seen in my life" declaration.
May 23, 2020 7:58 PM
Jan 2018
Vorpality said:
It's just another take on the source material and it reminds me of some of the old CGI cartoons of the early 2000's but more polished. It's not Innocence, but I didn't expect it to be. It's fun and doesn't have the problem of thinking it's smarter than it is that Arise had.

I just wanted to say thank you for introducing me on Band-Maid!
May 27, 2020 2:58 PM
Aug 2019
Bad reviews/scores are looking like communicable diseases. I do not know any CGI anime that anime fans liked than Houseki no Kuni, but It was not looking like 3D, even you can think It is 2D while you are watching it, It is impossible to be bad for every 3D anime, so We understand It is prejudice. You can't like If you watch any movie or anime when you have prejudice. C'mon guys, unfortunately 2D animation is dying because It is a big torture for animators. Check animators' salaries and conditions in Japan. They are paid so low and they are overworking because of 2D animation.
May 27, 2020 4:05 PM

Oct 2013
Slow start but eventually got interesting. CG haters should avoid it instead of badmouthing.
Jun 29, 2020 1:00 AM

Apr 2015
Painfully average, imo.
Jul 1, 2020 3:04 AM

Sep 2008
slightly better than arise, far less pretentious than a lot of so called 'deep' anime we've seen lately. It gives off some Standalone Complex vibes, but is nowhere near the quality of the SAC series or the movies. Overall though, I rate it somewhere around 7-8 in terms of personal enjoyment. I liked it.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 5 Discussion

MegamiRem - Apr 24, 2020

11 by abystoma2 »»
Nov 15, 2023 1:37 PM

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

SteelingMax - Apr 23, 2020

57 by abystoma2 »»
Nov 14, 2023 3:42 AM

» This series got way too much hate

Tyrannicswine117 - Feb 21, 2021

26 by SametTakao »»
Nov 9, 2023 4:33 AM

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Tsarko - Apr 24, 2020

59 by Shawn_Shambley »»
Jul 9, 2023 6:38 AM

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 11 Discussion

MegamiRem - Apr 25, 2020

11 by naturalbrawler »»
Jun 3, 2023 11:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.