Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 23, 2019 1:29 AM
Jan 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnbJiRApGKM

I'm without words. Never thought it could be this bad, honestly. It looks like an early Playstation 2 video game, not a modern animation meant to be watched, lol.

Well, I won't be watching this and won't consider it a part of the series, but figured I'd spread awareness.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 23, 2019 2:34 AM

Oct 2010
I saw the pv on another site, it's the one with the major sitting there like a rag doll, right? I don't like the look of it and it's funny how this will get 24 episodes. This is apleseed XIII level of bad.
Oct 23, 2019 2:44 AM

Feb 2017
While I don't think it looks as bad as people's reaction would lead you to believe, it certainly doesn't live up to the visual standards set by all the previous GItS entries. I can't lie, I expected more given the IG's and especially Sola Digital Art's previous CG accomplishments and GitS's status as a franchise that always pushed things forward.

What irks me the most is the Major's design and the voice that doesn't fit at all. I have no idea who thought giving Illya Kuvshinov to design Ghost in the Shell series was a right thing to do. Production I.G has many great character designers in-house! Tetsuya Nishio, Takayuki Goto... Hell I would even give Kise an another chance. Then there is Tanaka Atsuko's voice which I love and she made great Major and will probably do a good job here too, but the discrepancy between her voice and Major's new design is just too jarring. I don't know if I am going to be able to take it seriously. I hope the writing will be good at least.
TsarkoOct 23, 2019 2:51 AM
Oct 23, 2019 2:58 AM

Oct 2013
I kinda liked the animation, even though it's 3D... until I saw how badly animated her face is. :/

Also, I mostly like Ilya Kuvshinov's art, but it's like you said, Tsarko - his version of the Major looks too cutesy, which makes for a somewhat weird contrast with Maaya Sakamoto's voice.

(BTW, I didn't know that he's only 29 y/o! Quite a career for someone so young.)

Well, here's hoping the plot, music and acting will be decent.
AirsaberOct 23, 2019 11:39 AM
Oct 23, 2019 4:06 AM
Jan 2018
It looks fine to me. I think it suits the series quite well. People need to get over this hate for CG. It's here to stay and it's not inherently bad like people make it out to be.
Oct 23, 2019 4:28 AM

May 2014
I like it. Makes a change form the usual CG anime look anyway.
Oct 23, 2019 4:52 AM

Jan 2009
at least its full 24 FPS not like the usual 8-12 FPS of cel-shaded 3DCG anime

but ye this is like rendered in a game engine though
Oct 23, 2019 5:05 AM
Oct 2015
Everything was bearable until I saw her face.

Is she supposed to a kid? WTF!!?
Oct 23, 2019 6:02 AM

Jan 2009
some /r/anime thread says this is made in Source Film Maker software i do not think so lol its more likely made in Unity game engine like other 3DCG anime like Kado The Right Answer

its alright but i do not like the character design at all of Major Kusanagi here
Oct 23, 2019 6:15 AM

Feb 2019
it looks alright. The CGI looks really Awful also, she looks really Young which I'm not fond of.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Oct 23, 2019 6:22 AM

Jan 2009
kurtyNC said:
THEY ANNOUNCED THIS SINCE 2017....AND THIS IS WHAT THEY HAVE TO SHOW!!!!!!!!!!COME ON......

you must be ignorant of how much time anime production works for original anime works it usually take around 3 years, source https://twitter.com/PAWORKS_eng/status/1116720485113290752

for anime adaptation is takes around 2 years at least implied by this article https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2018-03-16/.129066
Oct 23, 2019 6:57 AM

Mar 2018
Yeah it has this awkward video game aesthetic but I think it'll be easy to get used to depending on how well executed the story is.

Bunch of babies lol, it looks better than the average anime to me
poop
Oct 23, 2019 7:26 AM
May 2019
Why 3D In my opinion 2D >>>>>> 3D. The CGI is just awful so disappointed😞
Oct 23, 2019 8:31 AM

Jul 2016
I would definitely prefer 2D, but I remain optimistic mainly because the original staff that worked on previous seasons in working on this one too. First season is one of my favourite anime series, so I have high hopes. Maybe this style of animation will grow on me, we haven't seen that much of it yet.

Is there a more specific release window for it already, or just 2020?
Oct 23, 2019 8:38 AM

Feb 2011
I don't understand why they decided to cheap out on this. It looks way below industry standards & completely amateurish... It's 2019, it's a franchise of unimaginable scope, Ghost in the Shell.. they can and should do better than this.
Oct 23, 2019 9:04 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Im usually pretty ok to try full CGI anime when they look good enough but boi, thats not... good. Its just a teaser tho. Lets see when a full pv comes out.

SteelBallGyro said:

Is there a more specific release window for it already, or just 2020?

Spring 2020
Oct 23, 2019 9:22 AM

Mar 2016
I don't find this sequel appealing at all. Motoko's design is very meh (doesn't even look like her) and the CG has the same texture as the Ultraman anime. That works for Ultraman but it's awful here. Who told Netflix that people want CG anime? However, the frame rate seems really high. That's good.
I just hope the writing keeps being what all was and please answer the questions left in SSS...

Edit: What about Yoko Kanno?
azertz99Oct 25, 2019 11:14 AM
Oct 23, 2019 9:28 AM

Jun 2014
Looks horrible.

I hate Ilya Kuvshinov's art style, so that only makes things worse. It's a real shame that any company would actually hire him.

Oct 23, 2019 9:46 AM

Oct 2015
I don't feel good, chief

At least Kusanagi maintains her sexy voice

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Oct 23, 2019 10:35 AM

Feb 2017
bruh, Is this 2004?
Oct 23, 2019 11:35 AM

Jul 2017
Looks like absolute trash. I don't even particularly care that it's CG but said CG looks like something from a cheap mobile game.
Oct 23, 2019 11:56 AM

Aug 2018
I thought it was a game at first xD

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Oct 23, 2019 12:19 PM

Feb 2016
Wow that's a really nice PS2 cutscene.
Oct 23, 2019 1:15 PM
Jun 2019
as bad as it looks....i wonder if they will drop 12 episodes at once or will it be weekly??
Oct 23, 2019 2:35 PM
Jan 2018
Animaniaig said:
It looks fine to me. I think it suits the series quite well. People need to get over this hate for CG. It's here to stay and it's not inherently bad like people make it out to be.

This is the lowest quality CG I've seen. Like I said already, it looks on par with animation from low budget video games from 20 years ago, not something an actual animation studio would make.

CG is great when done right. We've seen it previously in the GitS series and we've seen elsewhere with gorgeous anime like Land of the Lustrous. We've also seen it outside of anime in some of the best movies of all time for decades... This is exactly the opposite of all that. We deserved better and so did Ghost in the Shell.

Esquirtit said:
Yeah it has this awkward video game aesthetic but I think it'll be easy to get used to depending on how well executed the story is.

Get your eyes checked.

Riqkk said:
bruh, Is this 2004?

If it was, this would look better tbh. The Stand Alone Complex intro was miles ahead of what we're seeing here in quality.

This is honestly so sad to see. I really hope they maybe just put one guy on the job of a teaser for like 2 hours (because that's how it looks) and this isn't actually representative for the series, but as it stands, I'm 100% not willing to watch something that looks this bad.
Oct 23, 2019 9:29 PM

Apr 2016
Honestly, it still looks better than Beastars with similar levels of detail and significant frame rate issues that GITS SAC 2045 doesn't suffer from (I am going based off the PVs for both since I haven't seen the full show, and because it's fairer to go this route since we're only judging a 30 second PV). Hell, this is sadly one of the better-looking fully CG TV anime productions in the market...and it looks like what you would see from in-game footage from an early 7th generation title. Better than anything from Polygon Pictures or even most CG that most primarily 2D anime use, and a million times better than Berserk, but again, that's more an indictment of how horrendous TV CGI is in the industry and not a praise for this PV in the slightest.
Oct 23, 2019 9:58 PM
Jul 2018
It... looks like a prerendered PS2 cutscene. But it still moves at a smooth framerate.

That's still better than most CGI in anime today, which try to use limited animation with CGI because tradition or whatever even though it's completely unnecessary and ugly.
Oct 23, 2019 11:44 PM

May 2013
Lighting was cool. Seems decent I guess. But what is with this fetish, why make Major Matoko look like a teenager.

Go the extra mile and make her a loli /s.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 24, 2019 8:07 AM

Jul 2014
I generally love Ilya Kuvshinov's work, but I don't think his aesthetic gels with the general tone of the GitS franchise.
Take care of yourself

Oct 25, 2019 3:28 AM
Jul 2017
Now it doesn't, this is perfectly fine CG. A bit more polishing in the expressions and lighting department and it might even be great CG. And considering the staff, this looks way more promising than the terrible shit that was Arise and that live- and action movie. This looks to be the first good thing to come out of this franchise in way over a decade.
Oct 25, 2019 5:32 AM

Feb 2011
It looks better than most CGI anime for sure... but that doesn't change that the visuals look incredibly unappealing and boring imo.
Oct 25, 2019 9:04 AM

Jul 2015
Airsaber said:

Also, I mostly like Ilya Kuvshinov's art, but it's like you said, Tsarko - his version of the Major looks too cutesy, which makes for a somewhat weird contrast with Maaya Sakamoto's voice.

(BTW, I didn't know that he's only 29 y/o! Quite a career for someone so young.)

Well, here's hoping the plot, music and acting will be decent.

that's not sakamoto maaya, it's tanaka atsuko. it's not the arise actors
oyabuntanOct 25, 2019 1:38 PM
Oct 26, 2019 3:24 PM

Feb 2015
Looks like total dogshit. Seriously who decided full CGI was a good idea? It's a cheap Netflix knock off.
Oct 26, 2019 5:42 PM

Mar 2016
*makes nauseous Raphtalia noises*
Blllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oct 27, 2019 3:57 PM
Jul 2018
at least this shouldn't include "sac" in the title! its not okay to have that when you change the atmosphere to whole new level :\ pretty sure they will even replace some side characters hopefully I will be wrong.
Oct 27, 2019 4:32 PM

May 2015
Seiya said:
Looks horrible.

I hate Ilya Kuvshinov's art style, so that only makes things worse. It's a real shame that any company would actually hire him.

So he doesn't deserve to get work because you personally don't like his art? Wow...

Oct 27, 2019 4:38 PM

Jun 2014
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Seiya said:
Looks horrible.

So he doesn't deserve to get work because you personally don't like his art? Wow...

Let's just say that many of Kuvshinov's fans are "odd people."

Oct 27, 2019 4:40 PM

May 2015
Seiya said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Don't know what that's supposed to mean, but ok.

Oct 28, 2019 11:24 AM
IHaveTrashTaste

Aug 2013
I'll watch at least the first episode. At least it looks better than the Holywood's shitfest called movie.
Oct 28, 2019 11:35 AM

Oct 2014
Wow Netflix adaptation meme is real.
Oct 28, 2019 11:44 AM

Sep 2018
I don’t know what worse this or the Live Action Ghost in the Shell
Oct 28, 2019 12:18 PM

Aug 2018
Could that teaser be worse? As a huge fan of the SAC franchise, this is a fucking trainwreck.
Oct 29, 2019 7:05 AM
Aug 2018
Esquirtit said:

what exactly are some of the anime you've been watching? LOL
Oct 29, 2019 3:30 PM

Feb 2011
Esquirtit said:

I will never understand defenders of piss poor quality products. Does this look like anything other than a cash grab to you ? Because to me, it's quite frankly the most blatant of them all. I'd be willing to get over the fact that this SAC sequel is totally unnecessary if they were at least willing to put some effort into it, but this thing looks totally amateurish. By the time it comes out it'll be 2020, fucking 2020, and we're talking about GitS, a huge franchise, and yet you're telling me THIS is the best they could do ? Give me a break. This will go down as the SAC sequel that everyone will pretend it doesn't exist.
Oct 31, 2019 8:59 AM

Mar 2018
Hatsuyuki said:
I will never understand defenders of piss poor quality products.

Maybe it's because you're too far up your own ass. I clearly wrote ''it has this awkward video game aesthetic but I think it'll be easy to get used to depending on how well executed the story is'', implying I don't think the visuals are of desirable quality either.

Why did you have to notify me in your in rant? Can you look into the future? Already seen all 24 episodes? You don't know much else other than what you've seen from this 40 second teaser

TransparentNinja said:

the average anime to me is one with limited animation and simple generic art style. there's a lot of stuff that looks far cheaper than this (imo), so I don't feel as hopeless as some people here

poop
Oct 31, 2019 11:26 AM

Feb 2011
Esquirtit said:
Hatsuyuki said:
I will never understand defenders of piss poor quality products.

Maybe it's because you're too far up your own ass. I clearly wrote ''it has this awkward video game aesthetic but I think it'll be easy to get used to depending on how well executed the story is'', implying I don't think the visuals are of desirable quality either.

Why did you have to notify me in your in rant? Can you look into the future? Already seen all 24 episodes? You don't know much else other than what you've seen from this 40 second teaser

TransparentNinja said:

the average anime to me is one with limited animation and simple generic art style. there's a lot of stuff that looks far cheaper than this (imo), so I don't feel as hopeless as some people here

Of course we can't, nobody can. We can only judge it based on what's been shown this far, aka this trailer. I think forming on opinion based on materials used for marketing is pretty viable. The teaser gives you an idea of how the show is going to look. I understand being optimistic, but I've been following entertainment for a lot of years by now, and the instances in which a promotional video had a god awful quality but the end product turned out amazing are almost non existent.
Oct 31, 2019 12:03 PM

Mar 2018
Hatsuyuki said:
Esquirtit said:

Of course we can't, nobody can. We can only judge it based on what's been shown this far, aka this trailer. I think forming on opinion based on materials used for marketing is pretty viable. The teaser gives you an idea of how the show is going to look. I understand being optimistic, but I've been following entertainment for a lot of years by now, and the instances in which a promotional video had a god awful quality but the end product turned out amazing are almost non existent.

Fine, I really don't think the visuals are that bad personally. So I have no reason to suspect this to be as bad as you make it out to be
poop
Nov 1, 2019 11:56 AM

Sep 2014
Riqkk said:
bruh, Is this 2004?

Only that the 2004 series looks a billion times better.
Nov 3, 2019 3:36 PM
Jan 2018
Loominarty said:
Now it doesn't, this is perfectly fine CG. A bit more polishing in the expressions and lighting department and it might even be great CG. And considering the staff, this looks way more promising than the terrible shit that was Arise and that live- and action movie. This looks to be the first good thing to come out of this franchise in way over a decade.

Apparently "perfectly fine CG" in anime is some of the worst CG made in the past 40 years, lmfao. This is no Land of the Lustrous, that's for fucking sure.

And absolutely fucking yikes that you think this is anywhere close to the quality of Arise. While Arise was definitely not as good as the GitS stuff that came before it, it still looked nice compared to it's contemporaries and still had the series core mostly intact (just with a different emphasis). This compares poorly to even video games from 20 years ago, let alone to other modern day quality animation. It's many hundreds of times worse if the teaser is representative of the quality of the show.

We can only hope one guy spent 10 minutes on it and the actual show will be much better looking... but even that will probably never reach the heights of Arise, let alone the actual parts of GitS people really like.
Nov 11, 2019 1:44 PM
Apr 2016
NEEEEEETFLIIIIIIIIX

No matter how well or disastrously it works out for the narrative of Koukaku Kidoutai, I will miss the previous, more whatever appealing designs and graphics. If they wanted to turn this series into a disney-looking film... Well, they did try to butcher it once with the Western parody.

Hopefully it only looks like this. Hopefully a lot of diligent work is being done. And the final cut, if not visually, is spiritually a part of the original series. Based on the works of... cruel.
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Seiya said:

Don't know what that's supposed to mean, but ok.

He meant that they are deranged deviants who would surely buy a teenage girl to be their "robot-toy" if they were available... unless they already have one. Hit some nerve? I mighty hope not.
Daniel_NaumovNov 11, 2019 1:56 PM
Re:formed
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 5 Discussion

MegamiRem - Apr 24, 2020

11 by abystoma2 »»
Nov 15, 2023 1:37 PM

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

SteelingMax - Apr 23, 2020

57 by abystoma2 »»
Nov 14, 2023 3:42 AM

» This series got way too much hate

Tyrannicswine117 - Feb 21, 2021

26 by SametTakao »»
Nov 9, 2023 4:33 AM

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Tsarko - Apr 24, 2020

59 by Shawn_Shambley »»
Jul 9, 2023 6:38 AM

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 11 Discussion

MegamiRem - Apr 25, 2020

11 by naturalbrawler »»
Jun 3, 2023 11:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.