Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2019 9:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's been awhile since I've seen another rugby show (most recenty one I remember is All Out). They didn't waste time getting into the school life elements while also introducing the main leads.

Riku seems to have a rather reserved personality for now. Akira seems to have a brighter personality. There's not too much rugby so far but I'm getting used to these two main leads. Seems like the show has potential. (I also kinda liked the music used this episode)
Stark700Jul 30, 2019 11:10 AM
Jul 30, 2019 11:18 AM
Sep 2015
I interest in this because of yaoi vibe, and it definitely has. However, a lot of expectations have to be reset. This is low cost anime rushingly made to be on time with Rugby World Cup 2019 in Japan. But one thing I will not compromise on criticize is the voice acting. This is the debut role of Shougo Sakamoto (our protagonist) but his voice is as dull as athlete guest appearance at the end of the show.
Jul 30, 2019 11:22 AM

Aug 2011
Aaah, the good old "I've stopped doing [insert random sport] but someone gave me the motivation to continue". Plot aside, the animation was quite poor & awkward but it's Gonzo anyway who has done like 1 or 2 good animes in the last decade.
Jul 30, 2019 12:34 PM

Aug 2016
Not too bad of a first episode, but it wasn't especially great either. I'm surprised it took that little to convince Riku to play rugby again..
Jul 30, 2019 1:13 PM

Dec 2016
I was really looking forward to it but the 1st episode was so boring and rushed. I think it would have been better if Sakamoto Shougo used his normal tone of voice instead of making it sound so dull. I liked the OP and ED and the only reason I started watching it is because of Takarai Rihito and KENN.
Jul 30, 2019 1:18 PM

Feb 2010
the story seems like chiche and the animation quality sucks but i will continue for bishounens and BL vibe <3

𝓜𝔂𝓐𝓷𝓲𝓶𝓮𝓛𝓲𝓼𝓽

The inner sea of the planet. The platform of the watchtower. From the edge of paradise you shall hear my words.
Your story shall be full of blessings. ━Let only those without sin pass. "Garden of Avalon"!
Jul 30, 2019 2:05 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
This episode was pretty cute and light-headed. I'm fired up, the characters don't seem out of place, time seemed to fly and few shows achieve that!

Jul 30, 2019 2:33 PM
Yeah, the animation might be pathetically bad, but what really got to me was this:
Jul 30, 2019 3:14 PM

Nov 2016
Seems pretty generic so far, but I like these kind of stories.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 30, 2019 3:18 PM

Jul 2017
Well bad animation is never a good thing especially in sports anime where animation matters

But hey at least a rugby anime
Jul 30, 2019 5:01 PM

Dec 2014
FMmatron said:

Same here, big fan of these types of sports shounen stories.

However, for some reason I'm not really feeling Riku's character much. I don't know how to describe it but his character seems weirdly written and kinda inconsistent with how he's changing his mind and getting pulled into things so easily.

Some animation cuts were actually pretty bad, I don't know if it'll improve.
Soundtrack was great.

Will stick around to see where this goes.
Jul 30, 2019 6:08 PM
Sep 2017
oof. I was looking forward to having a sports anime to watch this season. This ain't it. It's not even about the low production value and the bad animation. The writing is also garbage.

Protagonist: I have given up on Rugby. I wont play
2nd lead: No you haven't given up.
Protagonist: Okay, I'll play. But you gotta do things my way.
2nd lead: No.
Protagonist: Okay. I'll show you that my way is better then!

WTF?! It's all over the place and has no heart. Oof.
chipi1016Jul 30, 2019 6:12 PM
Jul 30, 2019 6:12 PM

Nov 2016
Lelouch0202 said:
FMmatron said:

However, for some reason I'm not really feeling Riku's character much. I don't know how to describe it but his character seems weirdly written and kinda inconsistent with how he's changing his mind and getting pulled into things so easily.

Soundtrack was great.

I know what you mean, even tho it's a josei xD Better to clarify this before some smartass comes along.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 30, 2019 6:33 PM

Jul 2009
kuraharah said:
The animation quality gave me eye cancer.
If he can compensate his build with *tactics* then why did he quit in the first place. Not to mention that it literally took a "pretty please" to get him back into the sport.
I can't believe I waited for this show for so long just to drop it after one episode.

my eyes, heart and soul got cancer too. Like whyyyyyy T-T
Jul 30, 2019 7:08 PM

Jun 2014
I have no idea how rugby is played, but the blonde guy makes me horny.

FMmatron said:
Lelouch0202 said:

Soundtrack was great.

I know what you mean, even tho it's a josei xD Better to clarify this before some smartass comes along.

Regardless of what MAL has listed, Try Knights is Shoujo, not Josei.

Jul 30, 2019 7:15 PM

Nov 2016
Seiya said:

FMmatron said:

I see. Well, it doesn't really matter anyway. Still makes me wonder where MAL got the info it's josei.

Jul 30, 2019 7:34 PM

Oct 2015
They make a good combo.

That was a lackluster opening episode, but I've seen worse. I guess this anime is hopping on the bandwagon of the rugby world cup that will be held in Japan this September! #RugbyFever
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 30, 2019 10:34 PM

Mar 2016
The art and animation had no energy. The lines had no signs of change in pen pressure, the characters' movements weren't exaggerated at all, not sure if they even had squash-and-stretch and inertia.

The story is quite cliched so far, but it's watchable enough for now.
Jul 31, 2019 3:04 AM
May 2019
Myorave said:
Aaah, the good old "I've stopped doing [insert random sport] but someone gave me the motivation to continue". Plot aside, the animation was quite poor & awkward but it's Gonzo anyway who has done like 1 or 2 good animes in the last decade.

Yes.. Absolutely. When it first started with Riku and his brother loving the sport and then progressed with Riku having left the sport for *some reason*, I immediately got Area no Kishi vibes (which was an amazing anime btw). But.... Then the story progressed with a not-so-unique storyline, the animation got worse, and I realized that I wasn't that into it. I'll still try to give it a try though! Also, I can't comment on Gonzo's animation, so :P

kuraharah said:
The animation quality gave me eye cancer.
If he can compensate his build with *tactics* then why did he quit in the first place. Not to mention that it literally took a "pretty please" to get him back into the sport.
I can't believe I waited for this show for so long just to drop it after one episode.

Totally agree! The animation was a series of stills surrounded by fast movement lines and sound effects. NOT amazing. Also, I thought the storyline was soooooo cringey! Riku is only HALF-adamant about not playing rugby anymore. And then, he gets begged right into it TWICE by the end of the first episode! I was expecting much more of a story, tbh. I won't drop it yet, though. Three episodes minimum.
Jul 31, 2019 5:03 AM

Sep 2017
Generic and mediocre in every aspect. Dropped half way. It's probably a decent fujo show though.
Jul 31, 2019 5:32 AM

Oct 2012
Dropped right after i saw the MC do the "short punt" and start explaining shit. The animation and explanations are just simply horrible.
Jul 31, 2019 9:53 AM
Mar 2012
I can't see anyone who ever played rugby enjoying this. Then again, I can't see anyone enjoying this.
Jul 31, 2019 12:52 PM

Oct 2016
First impression coming!

The opening isn't really good... at least compared to All Out's first opening and to what I'm used to. The ending goes the same way.

Design... Well, this anime's uniforms have something in common with most real-world uniforms: horrible style. A return to more traditional styles for this sport is needed, given how they even murdered the Barbarians' uniform lately. Character design is good enough.

Initial vibe is very annoying, because the pacing is weird... Animation is non-existent, I think.
Jul 31, 2019 1:05 PM
Sep 2014
im in pain watching
Jul 31, 2019 3:05 PM

Jan 2017
Well this was disappointing. The plot is your standard generic MC that was super good in something then stopped/quitted it and know is back now. But the animation, how you can't make something so bad in sport anime where the movement is key...
Jul 31, 2019 3:25 PM

Mar 2013
Anyone else notice how half of the episode was just people grunting and make other strange noises instead of talking? Though it's not like the conversations were any better. It's been a while since I started an anime series that was this bad ... Wow.
Jul 31, 2019 5:30 PM
May 2007
Seiya said:

He is much hotter in Takarai Rihito-sensei style.

Seiya said:
FMmatron said:

Comic Gene main demographic is females (女性=josei) in their 20s and 30s.
Jul 31, 2019 5:43 PM

Jun 2014
Shadow-Chan said:
Seiya said:

Seiya said:

Then, why does both MangaUpdates and Wikipedia call Comic Gene a Shoujo magazine?

Jul 31, 2019 7:28 PM
May 2007
Seiya said:
Shadow-Chan said:

Then, why does both MangaUpdates and Wikipedia call Comic Gene a Shoujo magazine?

I have no idea. I remember them using Josei when the magazine first launched and MU only tags Servamp as Josei now.
Jul 31, 2019 7:50 PM

Aug 2015
Pretty good episode. Liked how they introduced us to the MCs and rugby quickly. Don't know why it took so little to convince him to join the rugby team.
Jul 31, 2019 8:19 PM
Jul 2019
I feel like I’m watching a very, water down AllOut type of anime minus the muscles
Aug 1, 2019 4:34 AM

Jul 2017
First impressions notes:
- Studio Gonzo, with collaboration from hentai low-LQ studio Seven, the director is pretty much from Seven, so I already know it's never going to be great.
- The original manga source is only about a year old, so for the anime adaptation to come out, it's pretty much like one-shot, just split into the seasonal format. And also, that is just TOO QUICK to get a source adaptation, too soon if you can call it.
- It's in the shoujo aspect, get it fixed MAL!

Story/plot existent? Non-check.
Character development? Non-check.
HQ art and animation? A BIG FAT NON-CHECK.

For this show to come out THIS LATE, I'm not surprised that the effect of 7 Seeds (released on Netflix, made by the same studio) will follow, but I'm EVEN surprised this made it to TV.

For a pilot episode, it's more misses than hits. MC Riku strives to be the best player in the field, but lost his way too much to quit. Instead, the MC support Akira helps him get back on track. Reminds me too much of last season's Hachigatsu Cinderella. Regardless, the foundation is set.
Aug 1, 2019 9:27 AM

Dec 2010
Myorave said:

This is one of the things that irritates me in sports anime I hate when it starts off like that how about the one where the MC want to play a certain sport got accepted to a certain school that has the sport they want to play but for some reason the school either has no club members or quit for some emo reason and the MC has to recruit/force people to join cause they need a certain amount of members that why shows like haikyuu,big windup,ace no diamond,prince of tennis,KnB and major is such good shows they have some of the annoying tropes that you see in all sports anime but the do it so much better.

Can I also say the animation is really bad so sad was looking forward to this one its sad that sports anime popularity did not last long its one of my favorite genres and I would really like more of it.
Aug 1, 2019 3:48 PM
May 2007
KANLen09 said:

The magazine concept is indeed shounen magazine in shoujo aspect. I'm assuming it's intended for female readers in general of all ages, then MAL fits it in the josei demographic.
Aug 1, 2019 4:21 PM
Aug 2018
Im going to come at this from a slightly different angle than most people here, as i have a lot of experience with rugby, in an area which has a lot of decent quality rugby.

As teenagers, size does not matter as much as you would think. Yes, 5"4 skinny dude wont be able to play any position except maybe scrum half or fly half (these are the british terms idk what they would be anywhere else), but this dude a) isnt that short, hes below average, and b) hes only somewhat skinny. He could easily play any position in the backs (not the massive people in the middle shoving each other) except for center. I have played rugby with many people smaller than him, and guess what their job is to do, run. the things the fat dudes cant do. at least not as well.
This doesnt apply as much to professional rugby, but these guys are fucking teenagers at your average high school. people with a small build can easily play to a high standard at that age, just not as a forward. kind of the same way i, a big ass fat dude, will never be able to play winger.

plus, his 'strategy' of kicking the ball high into the middle of a bunch of people is stupid. As they said, rugby is a tactical game. The first step to winning is keeping posetion of the ball. So why would you kick the god damn ball away, and leave it up to chance as to which team gets it? that only gives your enemy more chances to have the ball. This is a bad play. He should have just fucking passed it like a normal human. And another thing, to the dude that jumped at the rugby ball mid air, thats how you get fucking destroyed. what would have happened if the other guy didnt jump? and was waiting on the ground like a smart human? he would have destroyed him. Easiest tackle to make. I know this one from experience. (it really fucking hurt). Plus, im not even sure if they are wearing mouth guards. some bitches gonna be losing teeth if they arent.

Did i mention that size doesnt matter as much as the show makes it? well let me tell you, no matter how big you are, and how small the dude tackling you is, if they hit your kneecaps with their shoulder you are going the fuck down and its going to be painful. some of the meanest tacklers i know are small guys, and its because they are small. they have something to prove. Like in haikyuu where the MC is really fucking fast, because he has something to prove. That would have been a much better main character for a rugby anime, and they could have gone all the way with it as well, from him being the king of touch rugby when they were kids (for touch rugby, small people do a lot better), and have him slowly struggling more and more as people got bigger, and he stayed small, because he wanted to be a prop or something. That coulda had a good first arc for him learning that, he is small, he cant be a prop.

This anime really struck a nerve with me. I may not have experienced the struggles of being small in rugby first hand, but i have seen plenty of people be great at the sport while still being small. thanks for coming to my ted talk.

alright, i just looked back over the episode, and something really fucking bugs me about the ending message. Thats not how teams work in rugby. The tactics are called out by a few people. Everyone follows what they do. these are people that are in more passive positions, wingers, full back, or scrum halfs (which are in the mess a lot, but are usually protected). They usually call plays, scrum halfs on offense, and wingers or full back on defence. Everyone else has to know what the calls are, or the statagy goes to hell. The blonde dude is just wrong here. This isnt like sprinting, where its one person running how they want to, this is a dude actively disrupting the teams coordination by ignoring strategy. Team play is what makes a good team in rugby. if you cant make coordinated moves to dissorientate your opponent, you are never going to be able to get anything done. I know because im the forgetful dude who cant remember the strategies, and it basically meant i couldnt participate in offense. i was a defensive wall. thats it. And while thats great on defense, on offense it means if i was in the middle of the play i would end up as dead weight. we had calls that involved up to 7 people, and if 7 people didnt file into position within a few seconds, then the entire strategy would fail. the opponent would know what you are likely to do, and they are much more likely to defend it. one second is the difference between a try and you getting tackled and recycling for another play. This dude just doesnt know what the fuck he is talking about. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
JambottAug 1, 2019 4:33 PM
Aug 1, 2019 4:27 PM

Jul 2017
Shadow-Chan said:
KANLen09 said:

The magazine concept is indeed shounen magazine in shoujo aspect. I'm assuming it's intended for female readers in general of all ages, then MAL fits it in the josei demographic.

If what you're saying is true and if that's how its marketed in Japan (as much as we know though), then yeah we can give the benefit of the doubt though.
Aug 2, 2019 2:33 PM
Aug 2011
Was probably going to watch this but I didn't even finish All Out! which is roughly a million times better in every single aspect.
Those visuals. Oh boy.
Aug 2, 2019 5:34 PM

Aug 2015
Feels like a very low budget production. The concept isn't good enough to make me want to trudge through that low quality art and animation.
Aug 2, 2019 5:53 PM

May 2015
So painfully generic. It almost felt like a parody anime at times. I think I can pretty much guess what it'll be like overall and with these visuals, there's really no reason to watch it at all.
Aug 5, 2019 10:36 AM

Nov 2009
Pretty horrible so far. Not because of the plot - it's just as cliched as you'd expect but for a spocon the fact is not necessary bad - but because of pacing? directing? writing? I don't know,but it's just not meshing well together, like they go through the motions, and instead of creating one fluid whole chunks remain chunks... this is sad as I was waiting for my seasonal spocon, only for it to turn out a real mess.
CGAug 5, 2019 10:48 AM
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Aug 6, 2019 4:10 PM

Dec 2011
The animation is so lazy. Yikes. What a slideshow. This is such a shame that it's that terrible since if there was some actual budget it could at least look impressive, especially when we're talking rugby. But nah, all we get is some za warudo action when the enemy team is locked in one frame (better add those whooshy-looking effects to indicate they're running instead of making them actually move) to say some bullshit to the main character. There's no dynamics in this show whatsoever.

The characters themselves aren't compelling at all. The plot is trying to be there but it's buried under all those vexing cliches and artificial-sounding dialogs. What a disappointment.
Aug 12, 2019 9:17 PM

May 2011
Oh god Studio Seven and today's Gonzo what can go wrong?

Aug 14, 2019 10:14 AM
Jan 2019
I didn't like it because the way they are playing the sports looks weird. It's in slow motion and looks like they are running in place. I love sports anime but this is not my fav. Compare to Eyeshield 21, haikyuu, and Yowamushi Pedal, this is bad. I mean I understand 3D but the way they transition from 2D to 3D is really bad.
Aug 18, 2019 8:21 AM
Aug 2019
I like the OST!! But should I stay for the OST alone.. The animation leaves a lot to be desired, the explaining part with the short punt was cringy, don't really like the voice acting of Riku either. Is there hope for salvation
Aug 18, 2019 5:00 PM

Jun 2012
Pretty shitty animation, I guess thats expected with anything Gonzo animates. I wont be watching this, couldnt get past 5 min
Sep 6, 2019 5:04 AM

Feb 2019
It's so horrifyingly disgusting bad that im gonna torture myself watching this and see how bad it gets.

Queen Takarai Rihito don't deserve this.
Sep 11, 2019 9:09 PM

Sep 2014
I like the opening theme song

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Apr 27, 2020 4:23 AM

Jul 2015
Animation feels kind of poorly done, don't like their pointy faces

Riku and Akira's first interaction really felt awkward, kind of a cliche plot let's see if this gets better in future episodes

Feb 27, 2022 11:01 PM

Jan 2020
Lmao, GONZO, couldn’t you guys have outsourced the animation to like any other studio besides frickin Seven? It’s like laughably bad.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Try Knights Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2019

18 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 27, 2020 2:51 PM

Poll: » Try Knights Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2019

5 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 27, 2020 2:36 PM

Poll: » Try Knights Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2019

7 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 27, 2020 2:12 PM

Poll: » Try Knights Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2019

7 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 27, 2020 1:04 PM

Poll: » Try Knights Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2019

5 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 27, 2020 11:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.