Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2018 4:32 PM

Aug 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So this isn't really a special, but four episodes.

Had some good humour, introduced a new character, who I'm sure will be relevant in season three.
It also makes me think season three will cover college life for Haruka.
Overall, if was fun, but didn't really cover anything essential.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Apr 28, 2018 8:37 AM
Sep 2015
I just watch it in cinema today and I can really confirm one thing, anime film is really meant to be watched in cinema. For example, when Sousuke received 'Victory' lucky card I can sense that all audience, hundred of people, really want him to be back on track again, and are very happy to see him doesn't lose hope.
Apr 30, 2018 2:31 PM

Aug 2015
Basically this movie isn't supposed to give us anything specific about the upcoming season 3 nor is it supposed to be plot driven or have any plot development or character development. It's just a cute little movie tied together by four "episodes". If you like the cast and the characters and want to see more of them and what they are up to then imo go for it, it was very enjoyable.

As a big fan of the franchise I was pretty satisfied :)
May 4, 2018 2:12 PM

Jul 2012
Final thoughts on Free! TYM: Excellent special series. Four episodes, all are centered around a different character. It gave us a lot of growth for these four characters that didn't get much time to shine in S1/S2 which is awesome. Loved seeing everyone come back together.

Also lots of hints here and there in preparation of the future sequels. Got to see a lot of the boys like Asahi, Kisumi, Natsuya, Ikuya, etc.

Also KimuRyo voicing a new character (megane) who will probably be a key member in the sequel! Excite~

9/10
Iruka said:
Basically this movie isn't supposed to give us anything specific about the upcoming season 3 nor is it supposed to be plot driven or have any plot development or character development
I wholeheartedly disagree, there was lots of development here, especially for undershadowed characters such as Rei and Sousuke. Got to see Sousuke finally move a bit closer to his dream, even with his shoulder injury. Rei getting closer to being ready as a captain of the team, same with Nitori.
May 4, 2018 2:24 PM

Aug 2015
Mayuka said:
Final thoughts on Free! TYM: Excellent special series. Four episodes, all are centered around a different character. It gave us a lot of growth for these four characters that didn't get much time to shine in S1/S2 which is awesome. Loved seeing everyone come back together.

Also lots of hints here and there in preparation of the future sequels. Got to see a lot of the boys like Asahi, Kisumi, Natsuya, Ikuya, etc.

Also KimuRyo voicing a new character (megane) who will probably be a key member in the sequel! Excite~

9/10
Iruka said:
Basically this movie isn't supposed to give us anything specific about the upcoming season 3 nor is it supposed to be plot driven or have any plot development or character development
I wholeheartedly disagree, there was lots of development here, especially for undershadowed characters such as Rei and Sousuke. Got to see Sousuke finally move a bit closer to his dream, even with his shoulder injury. Rei getting closer to being ready as a captain of the team, same with Nitori.

In that case, i see what you mean. I don’t think we had the same thoughts about what character development means. I think all the characters were pretty fleshed out during ES and that there wasn’t any need for them to show more of themselves than that.

What I meant is that this movie is obviously made for people who already like the series as a whole and fans who know the characters well. But yes, those scenes where we got to see Rei show himself as a team captain and everything were great.

I might have been wrong though by what I stated cause I literally watched it without subtitles so I didn’t grasp every little detail. /shrugs
May 4, 2018 6:38 PM

Jul 2012
Iruka said:

I might have been wrong though by what I stated cause I literally watched it without subtitles so I didn’t grasp every little detail. /shrugs

Ah, I watched it with subs. I think that this set of four special episodes is definitely an important key to the series, unlike the water gun fight episode for example. There are a lot of subtle things in the episodes that really pushed it for me to rate it so highly when they're just extra episodes. The quality is on par with Free ES, I found.

I'm a big fan of the Free franchise but I still thought that s1 and s2 didn't flesh out everyone or finish their tales of coming of age. This four episode series luckily takes some loose ends and tightens it up.
May 5, 2018 10:29 AM

Nov 2007
Special compilation ep. is enjoyable.
tsubasaloverMay 5, 2018 10:52 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 8, 2018 4:40 AM
Feb 2017
it was ok I guess. Gave more screentime to characters that didn't get it a lot before.

May 13, 2018 12:55 AM

Jan 2013
Beautiful. :')
As a huge Free! fan I'm really happy right now. I feel like EVERY character is here and that's really amazing. <ok, maybe not Rin's Australian parents but it doesn't really matter>. It's more like 4 new episodes than a movie and it's fine. My favourite Free "season" so far. 9/0 can't wait for the next season.
"do you like Gou too?"
Haru should be more like "nope, I prefer you"

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Aug 12, 2018 10:10 AM

Oct 2013
Not the best quality I watched it in (480p) but still really enjoyable. You can never have too much Free.

Jan 24, 2019 10:49 PM
Aug 2018
My Rinharu ship is sailing!!! The last episode is the best for me
Feb 1, 2019 2:43 PM
Aug 2018
Phew that was absolutely amazing, it feels so calm. This film is supposed to show how characters are moving on from what happened in the past and are taking some time off to relax ( as stated by sousake) it’s supposed to prepare them for all the challenges to come next ( Rin going to Australia, rei’s nagis and gao’s club, Harus and makotos new Tokyo life and so forth) sort of like a calm before the storm. These people have to be in a collected, calm and worry-free state of mind in order to face their next challenges and that’s what this movie is portraying. And all the little details sprinkled in here by the guys at KyoAni is honestly amazing. This movie is fantastic in a lot of ways, 9/10
Feb 6, 2019 2:44 PM

Dec 2016
I almost forgot to watch these four extra episodes (or movie? according to MAL...), but I'm glad I did it. All of them gave a perfect set up for what is going to come for our main characters in the third season and I loved how they all were handled!

Nonetheless, if I have to choose which one is my favourite, I would probably say the last one because I laughed so hard with the whole misunderstanding thing and also because I could see all of them having a great time together at Rin's surprise party. ♥
Jun 13, 2019 9:00 PM

Jul 2016
Kiss me~
Catch me~
xD

Quite entertaining "Movie". All four "episodes" were interesting at certain degree but personally, I enjoyed the ones focused on the Samezuka's boys way more. Personal tastes, I guess...

7/10 - Mostly because of Rin's mom how hilarious the "Gou x Momo" misunderstanding was. Such a shame Haru had to clear things up with Rin since I would have loved to see how far it could have gone xD
SouthRzVaJun 13, 2019 9:08 PM
Jul 31, 2019 2:39 PM

May 2016
wonderfull four episodes I seriously enjoyed every bit of it and that beautiful Animation makes everything better. 7/10
Aug 4, 2019 1:52 PM

Apr 2011
That was good! Though I watched this after seeing the latest season lol :P

8/10

Oct 31, 2019 8:39 PM

Jun 2014
This was quite fun to watch. That swim club recruitment video was certainly entertaining, lol.

We also got to see this guy named "Ikuya." I'll be watching "Dive to the Future" soon, so I guess I'll see more of him in the near future.

Jun 14, 2021 6:04 AM
Apr 2021
okay I know I'm late but I went crazy when I saw tem in costumes fromthe 1st season ending hjsgvbjkacvwfbinush
ahhh too bad Rin refused to join I was dying to see him in the costume haha
ron_ron_Jun 14, 2021 6:34 AM
Aug 15, 2021 11:30 AM
Sep 2018
This little 4 part movie is really very very cool to watch, I loved it!
Apr 4, 2022 9:07 AM

Feb 2020
These were very good episodes.

1: I'm glad they finally found an apartment for Haruki. It was also nice to see Serizawa again at the end.

2: This was the best part. The boys had so much fun together.

3: That swim club recruitment video was hilarious. x3

4: I really liked the relay.
Jul 15, 2023 12:14 AM

Jul 2015
Some nice 4-part movie eps on after the seniors graduation with it being unexpected to see Haru out of all the guys able to drive, the interesting club recruitment video and lastly it was fun seeing how Rin misunderstood Gou and Momo dating which spiraled into even more misunderstandings and in the end a surprise party after the swim match.

Jan 29, 7:16 PM

Oct 2017
Just finished "Cooling Down at the Secret Hot Spring!" Lol that one made me laugh a lot xD.

I like that some of the characters from the prequel movie (High Speed!) are showing up. I wonder if they'll be more important in the following series.

More topics from this board

» Is this canon?

TheoPKTNS - Jul 23, 2019

5 by removed-user »»
Dec 18, 2019 1:44 PM

» When will Free! Take Your Marks be available to watch on DVD/ internet?

Kitty-Kate - Apr 5, 2018

2 by Kitty-Kate »»
Apr 20, 2018 4:14 PM

» Anticipation Thread

Daisuki - Mar 21, 2017

49 by DeletedUser666 »»
Nov 20, 2017 3:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.