Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 28, 2016 8:40 PM
Jan 2008
I liked the movie overall for its breathtaking animation and interesting attempt to fuse Sherlock Holmes with Frankenstein, but it wasn't until my second viewing that I noticed some serious flaws in the story department. Particularly the transitions from one scene to the next. We barely find out how Holmes and company escaped from that burning factory in Japan, and we don't get any explanation on why Nikolai is killed by his own assistant. It almost feels as though the movie was taking a very complex novel and trying to shave it down to two hours, which could explain the gaps, even if it wasn't the case, it's still problematic.

In spite of all the story problems, though, I ultimately found this movie far more enjoyable than the dreary and boring <harmony/>, because it at the very least tries to tell an entertaining roller-coaster ride of a story. I'd give it a 6 out of 10.
JTurnerOct 15, 2016 11:01 PM
Oct 5, 2016 11:44 AM
Oct 2011
So in the end, everyone is all dead, except Lilith (yeah, she is a machine)!?
But still, there are the corpses that walk like zombies, and the corpses that act normally like Watson, Friday, Holmes!? (There's no light in their eyes, so I'm sure they are all dead. Ta-dah, we officially have an Empire of Corpses!)
What's the meaning of Watson's journey if the world is still full of corpses anw?
Is Burnaby now a corpse too!? Because he lost the light in his eyes!? I think it is no way a miss in the animation.
I'm confusing af ;____;
Oct 15, 2016 3:23 AM

Sep 2008
It was long movie...
But I like it! :D

First...
Animation - I loved it!
After finishing movie I noticed it was made by Wit Studio,
well... that's explains everything :)

Story, this was quite interesting,
there was so parts where I lose track..
that scenes during and after ending credits...
So... Watson lose his momories from travel...
Kinda sad...

+ I like stories where events take place in 19th century Europe :)

Characters were cool! :)
I kept thinking that Burnaby will die... but he always come back!
In final fight... I thought "Oh! He is dead, he is so dead" and then bam!
He come back with "Ok. I done what I should done. See ya~~" ;)
I burst into laughter! xD
I can't with that dude xD

I also had fun and laughter when Frankenstein show up! xD
I don't know really why, when whole movie they talk about him here and there,
but when he show up... it was like "Oh, c'mon! Seriously?!" xD

I really liked charas designs and seiyuu cast *.*

Oh! And that ending theme!
I was like "Wait is this EGOIST? This sound like EGOIST. It must be EGOIST",
but then in credits appeared ("Door" by EGOIST) and this ended my speculation :)

Generally, it was good, I like it! :D

Ps. Oh! And I think people who likes Kuroshitsuji will like this movie, too :)
But this is only a my impression :)
Oct 18, 2016 2:39 PM

Sep 2015
Criminally underappreciated here on MAL.
Personally, I enjoyed Shisha no Teikoku a lot, and I think some of the confusing parts were meant to be this way. Not everything needs to be explained. Oh, and I was totally getting Cloud Atlas vibes from this.

Oct 25, 2016 5:33 PM
May 2014
I'm looking for the perfect english subtitles for this movie, can anyone help me lol? Non-stop puking blood when reading english subtitles from the torrent ones lol
Oct 29, 2016 7:17 AM

Dec 2007
Poor story with beautiful graphics...

It had so much potential and it started off so well, then the story became a mess, plot holes all over the place, I did not understand where this was going, no consistency, no explanation for most part of the movie...quite disappointing considering the beautiful art, the nice job the voice actors did and mostly the great potential the story had... I'll give it 6/10 although story-wise it's still a bit too much but for the art at least is worth
Nov 1, 2016 2:36 AM
May 2014
maybe someone can ask script writer from the anime info, ask him at his twitter, why you wrote such a complicated story and what really happened in the end ? LOL
Nov 1, 2016 7:11 AM

Mar 2016
I found this movie quite interesting, and somewhat confusing, what made me like the movie more.

In my opinion this movie is a solid 10/10
Nov 25, 2016 9:56 PM

Sep 2010
Wow, a very unique movie and premise. As a sci-fi and historical enthusiast, this satisfied all my tastes. Its a must watch and brings to the table the concept of the soul and what it holds. It really plays psychological perspective to a weird level and the way the corpses create an alternative history is really interesting.

Enjoyability: 10/10
Overall: 8/10
Nov 29, 2016 5:48 AM

Mar 2014
That was pretty good movie

Although the character and plot conclusion was not what I expected, it still entertaining
Dec 13, 2016 4:12 PM

Nov 2013
A lot of wasted potential. The events in the story felt disconnected and the characters are quite bland.

Animation and action are amazing though.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 1, 2017 8:11 AM
Jan 2016
This should be called "how to make a movie that has zombies,steampunk,and a WIT´s production...and still be boring as sunday in the church ".
An action anime needs dynamism in all the aspects and for that needs a good direction,correct characters and a good take on the story, this is a movie that lacks of that things. This has a good OST and impressive visuals but the script was crap, the charactes were forgettable and the action scenes were boring.
This remind me Joker Game and Perfect insider because the simple idea of an anime not based on a LN but a real novel makes one believe that series has a reason to be better .
(4/10)
Jan 20, 2017 1:53 AM
Apr 2015
Friday has a soul because of the endinh scene experiment and Also Watson is alive although im unsure if he knows anything previous of the experiment and the scene four years later Watson is with a new partner and Hadaly is mentioned as Irene Adler, who is a character from Sherlock Holmes and so I believe that Watson is THE Watson and his new partner is Sherlock
Feb 10, 2017 1:56 PM

May 2014
Seems like I share the opinion of alot of folks here.
Interesting story, it was not very understandable throughout the movie. Very interesting take on Frankenstein, hadn't seen him with Watson before this.
And this movie had very nice visuals, even for a movie this was exceptional. Against that it was a shame that they didn't use the story in a better way, I couldn't follow it through very well.
A 7/10.
Mar 4, 2017 11:54 PM
Jan 2016
The plot of the movie is so INTERESTING
When someone dies, he/she will lose 21 grams of him/her weight and those 21 grams are the weight of the soul
So how can we prove the existence of the soul ? is there really a soul ? how is the soul born ?
This movie has a BEAUTIFUL PHILOSOPHIC THEME AND I LOVE THAT
The animation is beautiful so is the soundtrack
The ending song performed by Egoist is so awesome fit the atmosphere of the movie so well
The characters are likable and their motives are well explained I didn't find any difficulties in understanding the movie
The execution of the plot was weak but still enjoyable
Had some Guilty Crown and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood vibes while watching the movie
NOT THE BEST MOVIE OUT THERE BUT I love it
Overall : 8/10
Mar 30, 2017 2:40 AM

Apr 2012
dont understand the connection (if there is one) to sherlock holmes
is this pre-sherlock holmes or the horizons thing friday was talking about? i swear they did this just to top the other Confusing anime endings
Apr 14, 2017 7:29 AM

Dec 2014
hmm quite a unique concept... I must say....
Apr 30, 2017 5:12 PM

Sep 2014
what the actual fuq was this? Im not gonna complain and say I just wasted 3 hours of my life (you read correct, I had to pause and do something else multiple times because the .. story..)

This started interesting, got confusing, the middle part was sort of clear but felt like a different movie, then again a sort of switch and idk what was going on anymore. I basically got what happened, but neither why nor how.

Important question: Has someone read the novel? Is the story the same kind of "garbage"? I would scratch everything I planned to watch from "itoh" immediately..

The setting was interesting, but saying steampunk would be enough to make me take a look, now add Wit and zombie - psychology and Im in.
But this? It tried many things, had a bit of "what is life, soul etc" but mostly it felt like someone reading random names on a wiki and had a dream about it.
The characters are forgettable and I hesitate to call them characters because they are literally just names and animated faces. I would not recommend watching this. Not that it was bad, it looked pretty .. but the story is all over the place, no introduction, no world building, no relationship building, no developement.

and finally - sooooo much wasted potential. Im not wondering anymore why this is so unpopular, I hope the other itoh movies are more consistend.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 17, 2017 8:30 AM

Jun 2011
I share the same opinion as a lot of the other people here.. this started out pretty interesting, remained rather meh but it was about to get interesting, but instead got weird as all hell around the 40 minutes mark and it just never got back on track.

Friday should BTFO of this show tbh, so dang annoying.

Also this comment on the first page,
Cute girl went full retard when she laments her lack of emotion/soul with a very sad face.

I noticed that as well, ridiculous, how was she "soulless" when she's basically feeling sad about it? Dude you're an android and you're able to feel, that in itself is ridiculously stupid, but you're feeling down because you lament the fact that you lack a "soul"? wot?

Good OST tho, I'll give them that. This had a lot of potential but it went about the easiest path.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 12, 2017 1:06 PM

Jul 2016
Great start, lackluster conclusion.

Aug 11, 2017 3:53 PM

Oct 2015
I loved the movie although confusing at times, it was very good and would have loved a sequel. It seems like Friday got a soul in the end and Watson seems to be working with Holmes, what's confusing is how he got that soul. Anyway I don't give a shit the story was good, the art top notch and ooohh the ending song by Egoist hit me inside.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 17, 2017 10:46 PM
Aug 2017
So, I just saw the movie and loved it, although they took quite a few turns and I'd have preferred a full anime season. It seems like at the end, Watson sacrificed his memories from his life before and somehow Friday gained his soul back (it doesn't seem to be a different one because he's watching Holmes and Watson fondly), and the characters in the book merge into the Sherlock series (lol I kind of saw that coming). I don't think that Friday becomes Moriarty because it seems like M will become him, because M is usually his other name... Rather, I think, as a writer (and somewhat peeping tom into the life of Watson), Friday becomes the person who tells their stories and writes down the events, probably under the false name of Arthur Conan Doyle. I'd definitely love a sequel to this, or a series. It actually has some merit to it, and could be very interesting.
Oct 30, 2017 12:46 PM

May 2016
The movie had a very interesting start with the concepts of living corpses being used as industrial workers, great art overall, and well-designed characters that reminded me of several designs (Burnaby looks like Nero from 91 Days and Nikolai looks like Alois Trancy from Black Butler).

The movie was pretty easy to understand...in the first half. Then there came The One with his sound-waves, Hadaly (and her being an automaton) and Holmes suddenly controlling corpses too, the big flashy life energy light show, Frankenstein's monster showing up when Charles Darwin The One was the original monster, and the data crystallizing everything. Looks like the gang finally utilized the notes properly and found the key to immortality at the cost of their memory of the movie. I wonder if there's an explanation for all this somewhere hahah

The art was amazing, the action was lovely and I had fun so it's a good thing. Hadaly's one hot robot lady and it's clear that she didn't need those 21 grams because she already had more than plenty on her chest~ The dub was great too! Nice experience.
This turned out exactly like Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress lmao Coincidence? I think not xD

Kajo_Senpai69Oct 30, 2017 12:54 PM

Nov 12, 2017 1:08 AM

Dec 2012

And that was the end. Good movie. EGOist with another great song. Of course since I watched this in 2017, there are a few anime series that released in the past couple years that this movie reminded me of. smh at John choosing to continue over choosing the mechanical pussy...cat. That pissed me off. The ship was about to set sail. Had Burnaby not cockblock him at that moment things would have been different. I wonder if Hiroya Oku is a fan of Project Itoh. Oku fans should know what I'm referring to in the story. lol

I've been waiting to watch Project Itoh since it was announced back then and it is off to a good start. Next is Harmony.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 25, 2017 5:02 AM
Jul 2018
how was this movie confusing lmao. everything played alright at the end.
10/10 visuals but the pace was slow, not stretched, but slow.

7/10
Dec 30, 2017 8:12 PM
Mar 2014
RIP Wason didnt even end up with Hadaly
and i just can only see the potential in this movie so wasted
Feb 4, 2018 1:30 PM

Jan 2011
I love the inspiration for the setting and characters. A lot of recognizable names for those who read science fiction novels or have some insight into the history of computers. :)

Story was pretty confusing, but I guess it all devolves into one of those save the world scenarios so it doesn't really matter.
The world was very interesting, using the dead to serve as a military/labor force. Itoh can really write some interesting dystopian/sci-fi stories. And as a fan of dystopian stories, Itoh will certainly be missed...
I definitely want to read the novel for this movie myself after having reread Harmony several times.
Feb 19, 2018 3:12 PM

Oct 2011
classic goth eras. nice~
Apr 5, 2018 1:03 AM

Jul 2013
the beggining was good
sad that the ending was so confusing so many questions that need to be answered. probably they were thinking to do a sequel :(
Aug 16, 2018 6:03 PM
Mar 2018
my_name_is_chef said:
Alright guys, the end was really confusing.

1- Did Watson give his soul to Friday? Then why both of them are safe and sound at the end? (In this case, did Watson forget all? Why?)

2- Did Friday gain a new soul during the journey?

3- Was Friday's soul "always there"? (Remember the promise of pointing twice the pen in Watson's face, Friday did that like saying -see, I remember that promise, I'm here!- )

Basically, what the hell happened in that holding hand final scene? Who is Watson now? Who is Friday?
my_name_is_chef said:
Alright guys, the end was really confusing.

1- Did Watson give his soul to Friday? Then why both of them are safe and sound at the end? (In this case, did Watson forget all? Why?)

2- Did Friday gain a new soul during the journey?

3- Was Friday's soul "always there"? (Remember the promise of pointing twice the pen in Watson's face, Friday did that like saying -see, I remember that promise, I'm here!- )

Basically, what the hell happened in that holding hand final scene? Who is Watson now? Who is Friday?

Ok, so i think friday regained his soul by what watson decided to do. He gave him all his memories of him, cause thats what makes a person, his memories and the image he leaves of himself to watson. His thoughs and mind. And that you can understand from the after credits scene where friday says that he thanks watson even tho all the memories of the vojage and the past are forgotten and he still is just thoughs. So i think the new friday cant talk but thats just a supposition. The new watson doesnt remember about him and thats why he wanders the city with his new friend, holmes. He wouldnt leave friday behind if it wasnt like that. Thats why friday can just look from afar, same for hadaly and burnaby. He forgot everything but they didnt, and still look after him. I think what friday missed for being alive again were memories of himself.
May 17, 2019 7:40 AM

Jan 2018
it was decent. Great art and animation but really boring to watch after an hour.
Jan 23, 2020 10:15 AM

Dec 2014
An economy based on corpses felt new, still I wonder that some massive part of the profits must be used to maintain or suppress any kind of epidemic or rotten smell coming off the dead bodies.

Mar 29, 2020 10:23 AM
Jul 2018
What a disaster. Another kind of preposterous story with a Frankenstein-ish thematic on a global level.
Nothing new about mad scientists experimenting with humans' life.
It is like as if they are bored and they just wanna go cause a ruckus to the world bringing the dead back to life, resulting as zombie bodies as failure walking the entire earth. Pathetic and monstrous. Yeah, playing God is so much fun, thrilling!
Let them souls rest in peace for christsakes.
----
Friday was the maddest here offering himself to Watson as an experiment.
I hated all the sacrifices that happened along the way, including Nikolai and Alexei. They treated their life/soul as a toul. How disgusting.

And Watson is a selfish fool for not destroying the notes once he laid hands on them. His blind desire for restoring a soul into his best friend and make the experiment successful is a priority. The sole reincarnation of Frankenstein right there.
They brought a mess onto themselves, let 'em eat it.

By the way, the pain scream that Friday was making after absorbing partially of the notes, was really driving me nuts, I kept lowering the volume sound of the video.

And why it always has to be needles inside nape? Choose another body part for a change.
I kept touching myself from behind during those kind of scenes.
That place is really sensitive.
removed-userMar 29, 2020 10:29 AM
Jun 21, 2020 6:35 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Certainly felt like a cour (or two) story worth crammed into 2 hours here. A real pity considering how much potential the setting and premise alone carried, to be honest.

Character motivations, plot progression & the flow of the story as a whole was kind of strange. Swaying of the main villain figure didn't help the cause either.

Hadaly was definitely a saving grace of the movie but it's a pity that we didn't get to see more of her. Irene Adler though, did a random Mr. Holmes come and steal her away from John Watson?

By the way, I feel like Sawashiro Miyuki-san for the role might've just been a better pick. I'm not discrediting anything from Hanazawa Kana-san by any means (I, in fact, like her more than Sawashiro-san), just to clear that up in case.

Animation and Sound Department were top-notch, though. Even though I lost interest in the movie by the first hour, these two departments were definitely something to enjoy at least.

As such, I think I'm going to settle with a 5/10 here. I was thinking of a 6 for a while but I felt like it might be a tad too much for the whole mess here. Congratulations for winning the Platinum Grand Prize nonetheless.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 2, 2020 3:21 PM

Mar 2010
He could have a life a robot bombshell and he chose the gay man. That is why I wanted the antagonist to materialize with his pride.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Mar 9, 2021 7:25 AM
May 2017
A quick thing about the ending but I won't have a peaceful sleep until I post my theory here.
Sorry for my poor translation but I didn't watch this film in english and had to translate something that was already translated from the original.

When the subtiltles were going Friday had a monologue and said that his pen has written "He sealed Memorandium in his mind and freely went to a world of a different language, losing memories of his past journey. I... I will keep asking myself. "Do I own awareness?" I... I will keep answering myself. When an awareness appeared, or when it will have appeared. I still don't know much. Doctor Watson. There are still countless things I wish I could have told you about. I exist here, in the form of materialized information. Now I can exist like that thanks to you. If it's only possible... I want you to listen to at least one short sentence. I wish those words to become real, and the story left here by you to bring new life. Thank you"

What if the souls returned to the bodies, but nobody came back to life as they tried to show us at the end before subs? What if that was just a reflection and their consciousnesses (those 21 grams) moved forward, to the afterlife? And England became the true Empire of Corpses. At the end main character changes himself into a corpse, like Nikolai did before and begs to see Friday again. What if he just simply got to the truth about human soul and immediately decided to reborn in a new world, moved to that "second reality", like the new Friday assumed, where Friday's past soul already was and he forgot about everything like Friday mentioned? And the Friday we were seeing though the whole movie was an entire new person, who was slowly gaining awareness like he mentioned in his momologue?
Jun 15, 2021 6:57 AM
Mar 2015
Hadaley= scapegoat
Burnaby=Based
Watson=irritating
Apr 1, 2022 3:12 AM

Sep 2020
Bad story with good action and animation.

6/10 only because I like the first half and the animation was great.
Apr 10, 2022 3:52 AM

Aug 2017
Friday? Is this Robinson Crusoe or something? More seriously, I don't really get the necessity to jumble so many characters from different stories together to make some references. It wasn't necessary, though it's not like I had a problem with it. Just...why?

In any case, this looked amazing, though felt like a fairly generic "adventure" story by the end - probably due to the novel being largely written by project Itoh's friend. Still, I see some thematic similarities with his other 2 works. I wish the movie/novel it was based on explored the "corpse economy" and its (im)morality in more detail, there's potential here.

The last 30 or so minutes especially felt like a 80/90's OVA plot with modern production capabilities. Evil man uses a giant computer to make a universal consciousness of humanity! Come up with something more interesting please. And so much "poisonous" green xD Still, I can't deny that steampunk aesthetics weren't awesome here. All those sounds of punch cards, mechanisms and retro computers... Ahhh, it's good.

Big eybrows Japanese guy was legit the best designed character of the show, reminded me of a certain FLCL character xD Of course he's based on a real guy.
Aug 29, 2022 3:12 PM
Aug 2022
Absolutely unique story, with the most iconic sense of fashion
Sep 27, 2022 1:39 PM
May 2022
it was so amazing omg
watch now
Nov 7, 2022 8:20 PM

Jul 2017
was confused a lot during the movie but i hella enjoyed it. and that after credit scene, wtf i need answers, ANSWERS!!
May 17, 2023 8:41 PM

Sep 2020
The movie was pretty cool, a lot better than I expected based on the impressions and reviews I skimmed beforehand. Very unique story, lots of action, and many good twists. Solid 9/10.

Zerity said:
was confused a lot during the movie but i hella enjoyed it. and that after credit scene, wtf i need answers, ANSWERS!!

I guess I picked up on things more than everyone else because I didn't find it very confusing at all, everything seemed pretty straightforward to me (though my interpretations might not be completely accurate or what the creators intended). But I'll try to simplify things for everybody:

Everyone is after Frankenstein's notes because they hold the secret for unlocking the true potential of the zombies: governments want it for more control and better soldiers (M and Grant's motives at the end), Watson wants to bring back Friday's soul and validate their experiments, and The One wants his bride back (bonus for a new body with Friday's) and also destroy humanity for their sins. Unfortunately, part of the secret was using a live person, which is what Nikolai, who originally stole the notes, discovered. Rather than give the notes to their bosses in Russia, he and Alexei chose to sacrifice themselves to demonstrate this to Watson in the hope it persuades him to just destroy the notes once they recover them in Japan (plus they would've been hunted and tortured/killed for their betrayal so they ended things on their own terms while taking the secret with them).

Friday hypothesized that the soul was basically a part of language and communication. Zombies can't speak/communicate, but in actuality, their programming is also a different form of language (a machine language essentially, and certain sound waves apparently interfered with this or the electrical signals which is how The One and Hadaly could influence them). Using the Babbage supercomputer, The One causes all that programming to transmutate into new "souls" that coalesce into a sort of soulstream where his bride's soul was supposed to return from. At the end, we see all those souls get released into the city/world and back to the zombies, giving them new lives.

Watson eventually gives up his mission and turns himself into a zombie to hopefully tap into that zombie/machine language and communicate with Friday again, as well as hide Frankenstein's notes within himself, and gets himself a new soul from soulstream, and gets reborn without memories to become Holmes' assistant. Unfortunately, he was not aware or completely convinced that Friday did have his soul back (remember the pen to nose signal and him trying to speak?) because it took some time before he was 100% (Friday mentioned this in his last memoirs during the credits). Everybody is still watching over him at end in case people come after him for Frankenstein's notes.
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
May 17, 2023 11:22 PM

Jul 2017
@SlammyHammy nah like i know all that but they way the showed everything was confusing as hell, moved from one thing to the next so quick and sometimes barely any details on what was going on before and during the scenes. It was like I was watching a recap movie of like a 20 episode series and they went over the major parts but didnt add the glue which stuck each major part together.
Sep 3, 2023 1:40 PM
Sep 2023
i really enjoyed the feel of the movie the plot was good too
7.5/10 will watch again someday
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is this a recap of a 12-24 episode anime?

workinHikikomori - Dec 7, 2018

4 by Apollo18 »»
Dec 21, 2020 9:37 PM

» Trailer & Key Visual (Update 9/20)

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2014

34 by ibraheem234 »»
Apr 11, 2017 11:56 AM

» Nikolai Krasotkin and Alexei Karamazov

Tatyonna - Dec 22, 2016

2 by Tatyonna »»
Jan 11, 2017 5:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.